New Optoma HD33 HD3300 1080p 3D Projector Review - Page 73 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2161 of 5307 Old 10-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am putting guitarman's settings into my HD3300 but for the life of me, I can't get Color and Tint to show up in the menu. I have Gamma set to Video but no luck. I am using HDMI 1. I read in the manual that color and tint are only available when using component, but then why is there a setting for them under HDMI 2D in the 1st post? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 5307 Old 10-21-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

User just needs to wait for Nvidia to release their latest graphic card driver and buy the 3DTV PLAY software from Nvidia to play 3D PC games. I think 3DTV PLAY standard cost is 39.99 - but could be free if user already bought 3D Vision Kit or other Nvidia special bundle"

Not from me. I think they are greedy. That is why my GT720 went back to the store. I paid for a 3d GTX-460 back then and yet they want more. Eff them greedy bastardos. There are other ways around this mess. Seems like Nvidia is doing their best to make me jump ship after all these years. Their new cards are not exactly cheap folks.
post #2163 of 5307 Old 10-21-2011, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

Not from me. I think they are greedy. That is why my GT720 went back to the store. I paid for a 3d GTX-460 back then and yet they want more. Eff them greedy bastardos. There are other ways around this mess. Seems like Nvidia is doing their best to make me jump ship after all these years. Their new cards are not exactly cheap folks.

You know you can just install a 3DVision emulator that will make 3DTVPlay work right? I take it your objection is paying $40 for the 3DTVPlay software?

http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=997

I have two 3D Vision kits, so I don't worry about these sorts of things. I don't care so much that nVidia charges for 3DTVPlay, it is their product to sell... What I don't like is the fact that they have a stupid white-list, any HDMI 1.4 display should work, why bother with the white-list? I don't really mind doing the EDID hack, but I don't think I should have to do that.

As far as new GFX cards being expensive, well they just are. I think my GTX 570 was a good buy though.
post #2164 of 5307 Old 10-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

I found out how to get Color and Tint to show up, just had to throw a movie in and they showed up fine. Also, a quick cable question. I am using older HDMI 1.3 cables (one from the PS3 to the Denon receiver and one from the Denon receiver to the HD3300.) I did order a High Speed HDMI cable from monoprice, but the older cables are working and passing 1080p 24. This might be a dumb question, but would the picture quality be better using the High Speed HDMI cable over the older HDMI 1.3 cables? Thanks.
post #2165 of 5307 Old 10-21-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoops10 View Post

I found out how to get Color and Tint to show up, just had to throw a movie in and they showed up fine. Also, a quick cable question. I am using older HDMI 1.3 cables (one from the PS3 to the Denon receiver and one from the Denon receiver to the HD3300.) I did order a High Speed HDMI cable from monoprice, but the older cables are working and passing 1080p 24. This might be a dumb question, but would the picture quality be better using the High Speed HDMI cable over the older HDMI 1.3 cables? Thanks.

No. They work or they do not. Just like OTA HDTV. Everything or nothing.
post #2166 of 5307 Old 10-21-2011, 03:12 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Either cable will give you the same quality picture since it is just passing a digital signal. If the signal starts to degrade, you will usually see sparkles in the picture. Then you need a new cable.
post #2167 of 5307 Old 10-21-2011, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerCowboy View Post

You know you can just install a 3DVision emulator that will make 3DTVPlay work right? I take it your objection is paying $40 for the 3DTVPlay software?

http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=997

I have two 3D Vision kits, so I don't worry about these sorts of things. I don't care so much that nVidia charges for 3DTVPlay, it is their product to sell... What I don't like is the fact that they have a stupid white-list, any HDMI 1.4 display should work, why bother with the white-list? I don't really mind doing the EDID hack, but I don't think I should have to do that.

As far as new GFX cards being expensive, well they just are. I think my GTX 570 was a good buy though.

This is my last post on this because it is OT, although relative to the PJ as it was with my Optoma GT720. The emulator did not work for me as Nvidia seems to have fixed that out with newer software versions. I tried to roll back to no avail. Just like you mentioned, that white list is BS and only because of palm greasing or something. I paid for a 3d card, make it work. That simple. It does work if I pay them more. C'mon Man! It's not like a paid a paltry $100 for my card. Give me the goods.

Back to the 33/3300, though keep this stuff in mind for HTPC use and gaming.
post #2168 of 5307 Old 10-21-2011, 05:46 PM

i want to fill my 130'' screen,how far back should the lens be
post #2169 of 5307 Old 10-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Got a small problem with my power cord, it's too short. Any idea where I can get a longer power cord for the HD3300? Thanks.
post #2170 of 5307 Old 10-21-2011, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Something to try: In 3D mode try Video gamma instead of Graphics and you will instantly see more detail in the greys, then adjust brightness and contrast until you get inky blacks again--much better image for me anyway.
post #2171 of 5307 Old 10-21-2011, 08:50 PM

Would there be a problem using this projector for someone who's very rainbow sensitive? how fast is the color wheel speed?
post #2172 of 5307 Old 10-21-2011, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Very rainbow sensitive could mean you'll get headaches best to look at a LCD even though rainbows are minimalized with the fast wheel. 6x speed

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #2173 of 5307 Old 10-21-2011, 09:30 PM

Which are the best glasses to use with the HD3300? The Optima ZD101 ($75) or the Optima RF 3D glasses ($99)?

I am close to pulling the trigger on the HD3300 but also read good things about the Epson 3010.. argh...
post #2174 of 5307 Old 10-21-2011, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Looks like you solved a mystery, right when you start the movie the screen will sync to the signal setup like 1080p24fps. Before that you're in limbo land.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #2175 of 5307 Old 10-21-2011, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Dam that colorfacts stuff is good. I was up late and tuned up a CRT gamma setting. What you do is just overide the Cinema choice in your tuning menu. This way leave User with the other 2.2gamma setup. This one for Cinema is a 2.5gamma or CRT type gamma.

Cinema
Contrast -31
Bright 0
Sharp 12
Color +4
Tint 0

Advanced
Gamma Standard
Color Temp Warm
Red gain +1
Grn gain 0
blu gain =5

Red bias -2
Grn bias 0
Blu bias -1

Looks sweet, nice colors, deep black. Try it back and forth with the User setup I posted. See what you like for different video feeds.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #2176 of 5307 Old 10-22-2011, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

guitarman, I have been using your numbers from the 1st post listed under HDMI 2D (changed them under Cinema Mode.) What are these new numbers you just posted used for?

Also, any idea where I can get a longer power cord for the HD3300?
post #2177 of 5307 Old 10-22-2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:

Got a small problem with my power cord, it's too short. Any idea where I can get a longer power cord for the HD3300? Thanks.

Monoprice, New Egg, and a lot of computer stores carry the longer cords.
post #2178 of 5307 Old 10-22-2011, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

What type of cord do I need to look for? Just a regular power cord?
post #2179 of 5307 Old 10-22-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:

What type of cord do I need to look for? Just a regular power cord?

It's the same type power cord that is used on just about any computer power source. I'm not sure what it's proper name is.
Looks like it's a C13 maybe?
post #2180 of 5307 Old 10-22-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I use a 14 gauge 15' extension cord you can buy at any hardware store and it works fine. If you go longer, get a 12 gauge, which will equal the wiring in your house.
post #2181 of 5307 Old 10-22-2011, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

guitarman, I have been using your numbers from the 1st post listed under HDMI 2D (changed them under Cinema Mode.) What are these new numbers you just posted used for?

Also, any idea where I can get a longer power cord for the HD3300?

You could put these under the user save just for a different darker look, should look good for dark video.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #2182 of 5307 Old 10-22-2011, 02:31 PM

Okay....okay....you guys almost convinced me

But since it will be my first projector (yes, a true virgin) one final check before ordering this beauty:
- will the HD33 (European model, so similar to your HD3300?) do well on a 122" 1.0 gain matt white screen? Enough brightness?
- 15' 2" throwing distance, 3" mount, top screen between 9.5" and 17" (already built in ceiling), that should work, right? It took me hours to figure out..
- it is a living room situation but projector will only be used watching movies in the evening/night. So not a bat cave (the opposite...most walls and ceiling are white) but lights can be switched off...still okay?
- 3D....also enough light?
- best place for the RF 3D emitter? how long is the cable (in Europe we need to order this seperately)
- exact placement of lens (center distance to mount (height) and offset from middle (width)?
- any other recommendations?

Sorry for all these newbie questions, I am almost ready to push the order button.....but I need some final confirmation otherwise my wife will give me a hard time...

Many thanks!
post #2183 of 5307 Old 10-22-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafijn View Post

But since it will be my first projector (yes, a true virgin) one final check before ordering this beauty:
- will the HD33 (European model, so similar to your HD3300?) do well on a 122" 1.0 gain matt white screen? Enough brightness?
- 15' 2" throwing distance, 3" mount, top screen between 9.5" and 17" (already built in ceiling), that should work, right? It took me hours to figure out..
- it is a living room situation but projector will only be used watching movies in the evening/night. So not a bat cave (the opposite...most walls and ceiling are white) but lights can be switched off...still okay?
- best place for the RF 3D emitter? how long is the cable (in Europe we need to order this seperately)
- exact placement of lens (center distance to mount (height) and offset from middle (width)?

Sorry for all these newbie questions, I am almost ready to push the order button.....but I need some final confirmation otherwise my wife will give me a hard time...

Many thanks!

Make sure you don't see rainbows with DLP. Reviews say you won't see them, but trust me, if you are sensitive to them you will.
post #2184 of 5307 Old 10-22-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Many thanks!

I have the US HD3300 and you'll be happy with it. Your throw range is about 13' to 16' from the lens; best to mount as close as you can for maximum brightness and zoom. Top of screen should be okay. You can always use a little keystone if you have to tilt the projector to get the image right on the screen. 122" 1.0 gain screen is fine.Will be nice and bright for 3D and you can turn down brightness and contrast for 2D if necessary. As long as you don't have glaring lights on you should be okay; some low light lamps will be okay for 2D--3D should be dark as possible. It's best to mount bottom of projector at least 4" below a ceiling to avoid heat build up. Be wary of heat/AC ducts that are close the projector--not good! Painting opposite wall a medium gray sometimes helps and it actually accents your livingroom whites (according to HGTV ). I'm not a fan of RF--someone else can help you there. I like dlplink glasses; no tweaking and no ghosting and they turn off when you look left and right and leave the room. Others will argue .

Get the manual to determine offset: http://www.optomausa.com/products/detail/HD33

Here is the screen calculator:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...eflashipromise
post #2185 of 5307 Old 10-22-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

Get the manual to determine offset: link optoma usa

Many thanks for your quick answer and I will definitely take your recommendations into account.

With regards to the center distance and the offset of lens: I cannot find any information on the Optoma website and manuals.
I just would like to know the exact distance from the mount to the center of the lens (height) and the exact distance from the middle of projector to the center of the lens (width) since I learnt I need the use these measures for the distance calculator....and placement of course

The picture with the dimensions on the Optoma website seems incorrect (12.24" and 14.17"); I think they should be the other way around.
post #2186 of 5307 Old 10-22-2011, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Post above has a link to the screen calculator. The calculator is dead on.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #2187 of 5307 Old 10-23-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

Very rainbow sensitive could mean you'll get headaches best to look at a LCD even though rainbows are minimalized with the fast wheel. 6x speed

Is it 6x speed all the time though? What is the equivalent speed in 2D and 3D. Doesn't it spin faster in 3D?
post #2188 of 5307 Old 10-23-2011, 10:15 AM

I received 4 of the True Depth rechargeable DLP Link glasses. I tried using them after charging today with my new Optoma HD33 projector. I was trying to watch a 3D blu ray with PS3. I can't seem to get the glasses to function properly. I turn them on, and the blue light flashes every few seconds seeming to indicate they should be working, but the image on the projector remains blurry. I don't see the lenses flickering at all, but I've never used 3d glasses before, so I'm not sure what to expect. I have the projector set to the DLP Link setting. I've tried with 2 of the 4 glasses, and had no luck. Does anyone know if these glasses work with the HD33? I did not see anything in the listing to indicate they wouldn't. I read that the HD33 uses red-flash instead of white-flash for the DLP link sync. Could that be the issue? I've emailed the store but haven't heard back yet. Has anyone else been able to get these to work with an Optoma HD33 projector?
Thanks,
Alan
post #2189 of 5307 Old 10-23-2011, 10:38 AM

Hi everyone,
I'm looking at the HD33/3300 to replace an old Infocus X1 that I currently have installed. The X1 is ceiling mounted (upside down)
about 21ft from my 120" DIY screen. The mounting distances seem to be extremely different for this projector vs. the X1.

Using the distance calculator for the HD3300 it indicates it can only be 16ft away for this screen size otherwise at the current
distance of 21ft I would need a 163" screen. At 16ft this projector would end up being mounted directly over the seating area.

Questions:
1) Does the distance calculator already account for any of the zooming capability of the projector?
2) How noisy is this projector assuming it's directly above your head?
3) Are there any other X1 owners who moved directly to this projector and can share their experience?
4) Any other options besides relocating the projector?

Thanks for your help.
post #2190 of 5307 Old 10-23-2011, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Many thanks!

Looks like you'll be buying it, enjoy. I see no problem for you on set up and brightness level. The emitter has a 3'cable, it can be put close to the projector if you want to hide the cable.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd33 1080p 3d Projector , Projectors
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page