Forum Jump: 

post #2551 of 5309 Old 11-07-2011, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekscden View Post

Is anyone using this for Nvidia 3D vision? Can you tell me if you have to use an emitter from the PC and nvidia glasses or can just run it into the PJ and use the projector's emitter and glasses.

The latter. Your PJ is bassically a 3DTV and is recognised as such. If you run 3D Vision, just set enable 3d stereostopic 3D in the NVIDIA control panel and start your game. Loads of games are supported but as I posted earlier, you may want to give Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and The Witcher 2 a try, pretty amazing stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 5309 Old 11-07-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhonzi View Post

I could see RBE from as close as 8 feet and far back as 21 feet. Distance didn't seem to affect RBE for me.

Screen is a DIY Mississippi Man Silver Fire (Light). The screen looks absolutely spectacular to my eyes with every other projector I've thrown on it. I suppose it could be part of the RBE equation, but I can't imagine a different screen completely getting rid of it.

Maybe I could have turned brightness down to lessen it... but I don't think I would be willing put up with a picture that's that much dimmer to get rid of RBE. I have a light controlled room, but I still want a nice bright picture. I've seen RBE on every DLP I've ever seen, so I don't suspect there's any amount of tuning I'd be happy with.

I had never seen an effective 6x wheel, so I hoped this one would do the trick, but as I said it was the most obvious/intrusive RBE I've ever experienced.

I appreciate your attempts to tell me what I can do differently to lessen RBE, but I'm not really interested in changing my viewing angles, screen type, brightness expectations, etc, to be moderately happy when I can just go get an LCD and be perfectly happy.

That's surprising. I've had several DLP projectors and the rainbows are better on this than every other one I've used.

Robert Clark
post #2553 of 5309 Old 11-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in Houston View Post

Xhonzi, do you wear glasses?

No, I don't wear (prescription) glasses. My wife did, but she had LASIK last year. She was RBE sensitive before and is now as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8000HD View Post

What were you watch? I've watched Horrible bosses this weekend and this was the first time on about (60 hours on lamp) that I saw some RBE.

I saw RBE on just about everything. Again, it seems I'm much more sensitive than the lot of you here. But, for the record, I watched a lot of Green Lantern on it (don't judge me, it was the closest thing handy and I knew it had a lot of dark scenes) and some Speed Racer and some Portal 2. That might be about it. As I said in my full review, I probably only watched it for about 2 hours. I saw it on everything, but the menu was especially problematic (high contrast text is always a good setup for rainbow mania!). The other thing that about put me in a seizure was the white "play" icon in the bottom left hand corner of the PS3 display when you start a movie.
post #2554 of 5309 Old 11-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

That's surprising. I've had several DLP projectors and the rainbows are better on this than every other one I've used.

That is interesting. I've only had the two, but I've seen a lot of DLPs in the wild since owning that first one. It's so subjective I can't really back up my experience with anything other than "that was my experience."
post #2555 of 5309 Old 11-07-2011, 02:17 PM

Liked: 10
A note on my search for glasses in Canada. The only ones that seem to fit the bill are the http://www.consignia.ca/vip-3d-dlp-l...rojectors-tvs/

Any thoughts on the VIP DLP link glasses?

I contacted Optoma asking why there were no glasses available in Canada and they just gave me the 1-800 number for their parts department.

My hope was to get something as good as the RF glasses or the ZD201s. I think I'd like to stay away from the ZD101s. I'll send a note to the AVScience folks and see what they have.
post #2556 of 5309 Old 11-07-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

I've had two DLP TV's, the first one was really rainbow prone, the second was pretty good (still own it), and this projector (hd3300) is great. I will only see a partial rainbow if I'm on a calibration white/black screen, but I haven't seen one in any movie or tv show that I've watched. I think some people should stay away from dlp if their first try was too bad, they're just too sensitive.
post #2557 of 5309 Old 11-07-2011, 02:53 PM

Wow. Look what I found hidden away in the closet. I forgot I had these 3 old 3D dvd movies. Gonna have to try and see if they work with the projector. I remember buying these withy the 'wired' shutter glasses.
LL
post #2558 of 5309 Old 11-07-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandxp View Post

Wow. Look what I found hidden away in the closet. I forgot I had these 3 old 3D dvd movies. Gonna have to try and see if they work with the projector. I remember buying these withy the 'wired' shutter glasses.

Hah, Just remembered I have these too. I'll be interested to see how you get these to work as I think they are interlaced 3D--e.g. half the scanning lines go to the left eye, and half to the right with the shutterglasses. Great find!
post #2559 of 5309 Old 11-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandxp View Post

I have that same set. I forget the name for that format, but every other "field" is meant for every other eye. (EDIT: Duh, it's "field sequential") Meaning even lines (I think) are left eye and odd lines are right eye. Meaning that they're basically 240p resolution to each eye. I don't think they'll play in 3D in your 3D BD player, but I could be wrong. I think Stereoscopic player will play them, but even so you may have to rip/convert them to Top/Bottom or SBS first.

Those glasses would work with your TV, if you could get the right signal to them. They don't quite get dark enough... but it's a nice reminder that $10 glasses from 10 years ago work almost as well as today's $100 glasses.
post #2560 of 5309 Old 11-07-2011, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I just watched "African Cats"', the new Disneynature Bluray, and on the HD33, it's stunning to say the least. Best image quality I've seen in my home theater so far! This projector definitely gets better as it breaks in.

Marc.

MDC
post #2561 of 5309 Old 11-07-2011, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhonzi View Post

That is interesting. I've only had the two, but I've seen a lot of DLPs in the wild since owning that first one. It's so subjective I can't really back up my experience with anything other than "that was my experience."

Definetly goners for you with this DLP. I'd be interested to hear what you think of the Epson picture in comparison. Lets us know when you get it.

Stats say about 5% of the public could be rainbow sensitive you're not alone.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #2562 of 5309 Old 11-08-2011, 04:05 AM

My lovely wife purchased the HD33 for me on Sunday. I'm very excited and can't wait to try it out. I will probably mount it and get it up and running this weekend. I'm upgrading from the HD65. For those of you that had the HD65, were you able to mount the HD33 in the same spot or did you have to move it around a bit?
post #2563 of 5309 Old 11-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

Definetly goners for you with this DLP. I'd be interested to hear what you think of the Epson picture in comparison. Lets us know when you get it.

Stats say about 5% of the public could be rainbow sensitive you're not alone.

I posted a rather lengthy comparison in the "vs" thread. I posted the link to it in this thread as well. Short version: I thought the PQ on the Epson was just as good. But due to the lag I won't be keeping the Epson either. sad face.
post #2564 of 5309 Old 11-08-2011, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumPeach View Post

My lovely wife purchased the HD33 for me on Sunday. I'm very excited and can't wait to try it out. I will probably mount it and get it up and running this weekend. I'm upgrading from the HD65. For those of you that had the HD65, were you able to mount the HD33 in the same spot or did you have to move it around a bit?

Gotta love them wives, mine bought me a farily new house for cash. But never a projector you're a lucky man.
Try my settings in the first post.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #2565 of 5309 Old 11-08-2011, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc D Carra View Post

I just watched "African Cats"', the new Disneynature Bluray, and on the HD33, it's stunning to say the least. Best image quality I've seen in my home theater so far! This projector definitely gets better as it breaks in.

Marc.

Definitely fine, DLP has always been considered to have the best film type image. Now I'm reading a flat less sharp image is now film like, right. Football games looked great last Sunday, plenty of contrast, bright, sharp, great control over fast motion. FI on low.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #2566 of 5309 Old 11-08-2011, 01:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

They both get the same firmware. The difference is the HD3300 gets the best hand picked parts, lens, lamps, boards everything.

With all due respect, I have a hard time buying that one.

Chris Blount
post #2567 of 5309 Old 11-08-2011, 02:08 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount View Post

With all due respect, I have a hard time buying that one.

I don't know what Optoma does or doesn't do - but in electronics it is common manufacturing practice to grade components based on tests - all from the same assembly. This happens to microSD, Intel Chips, RAM, Solar PV etc etc.

Enjoying Nissan Leaf as the primary car for over 6 months : MyNissanLeaf.com
post #2568 of 5309 Old 11-08-2011, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

My projector is significantly brighter then both HD33 reviews, one by PC, one by PR's. Unless their testing was flawed. You see you get these guys in white jackets looking over lenses, boards, lamps, light chambers etc. The best are taken out the rest go over to the conveyor belts.

Never mentioned it buy my HD3300 has high uniformity and very good sharpness. I've heard stories "I can't get it sharp in the corner" there you go time to believe.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #2569 of 5309 Old 11-08-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:

My projector is significantly brighter then both HD33 reviews, one by PC, one by PR's. Unless their testing was flawed. You see you get these guys in white jackets looking over lenses, boards, lamps, light chambers etc. The best are taken out the rest go over to the conveyor belts.

Never mentioned it buy my HD3300 has high uniformity and very good sharpness. I've heard stories "I can't get it sharp in the corner" there you go time to believe.

As an electronic engineer, I have looked at the internals and I know the difference between the hd33 and hd3300 is a black case and warranty.
Do not kid yourself, look at the specifications. One thing they both have in common is inferior picture quality compared with Epson.
post #2570 of 5309 Old 11-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxjunky View Post

As an electronic engineer, I have looked at the internals and I know the difference between the hd33 and hd3300 is a black case and warranty.
Do not kid yourself, look at the specifications. One thing they both have in common is inferior picture quality compared with Epson.

in the chip manufacturing industry they do profile processors for different speeds as the manufacturing processes typically have a wide yield in quality and I have heard stories where the higher-quality processors are packaged differently and sold at higher cost.

ofcourse, there is no way to know if thats the case with optoma...
post #2571 of 5309 Old 11-08-2011, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:

One thing they both have in common is inferior picture quality compared with Epson.

Lol, nice. You are clearly wanting to start an argument by posting this in this thread. This is your opinion, not truth. Other people would disagree with you.

post #2572 of 5309 Old 11-08-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:

Them be fightin' words! Hahaha. Here we go again.

For the record, I don't care what anyone says, I'm a believer that the HD3300 is of higher quality.
post #2573 of 5309 Old 11-08-2011, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

in the chip manufacturing industry they do profile processors for different speeds as the manufacturing processes typically have a wide yield in quality and I have heard stories where the higher-quality processors are packaged differently and sold at higher cost.

ofcourse, there is no way to know if thats the case with optoma...

AMD has been doing this for years with their processors. Chips that meet specs fully become that model. Ones that were iffy become Black Edition ones where one needs to unlock those cores that may or may not be stable. Usually stable. There are variants of this as well. Again, I do not know whether Optoma may be doing this with the 3300 but it would make good sense to do so. It would also seem to make sense that a Dark Chip 3 would be in the 3300 but that did not happen so who knows what is really going on? I would guess that top shelf parts are in the 3300 due to the warranty difference alone.

Edit: BTW PX, I believe you had the 3010, and saw a 33/3300 is that correct or did you have both?
post #2574 of 5309 Old 11-08-2011, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Some guy that joined last month is going to straighten us all out, uh huh.

After both statements he shows us no credibility, sounds like a dreamer. Livin a dream

Right he took both the HD33 and HD3300 apart, you're going to believe this guy?

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #2575 of 5309 Old 11-08-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:

After both statements he shows us no credibility, sounds like a dreamer. Livin a dream

I'm living a dream! Every time I power up 3300 its like I'm dreaming, in 3D no less!
post #2576 of 5309 Old 11-08-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:

post #2577 of 5309 Old 11-08-2011, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNegative View Post

That picture has weak contrast.

Now here's some good contrast, I was lucky enough to test the Optoma HD8600
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/hd8600joker.jpg

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #2578 of 5309 Old 11-08-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:

So you buy a product from a company that you think makes two exact versions of the same product but screws over the guy that does not buy it from a local authorized dealer !! get real. HD3300 is a local dealer unit and comes in black. The reference to AMD, Intel is a joke these companies work form selling higher binned thats how you get faster chips. OMG yes I have looked inside both, if me or my friends buy something we look inside to see for ourselves. You don't have higher binned resistors or mosfets or a faster chip, you paid 500 more for that warranty, as the hd33 has little warranty.

Epson is still has a better 2D picture and I do not have an Epson took it back to BB. I have a panny 7000 and it wipes the floor with a hd3300.
post #2579 of 5309 Old 11-08-2011, 08:05 PM

I will say, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that my hd 33 absolutely trounces the panny 7000 in 3d. My experience and opinion of course, and this is based entirely on the almost 100% absence of ghosting on the Optoma. The Panny was unwatchable for me due to excessive crosstalk. I've owned both.
post #2580 of 5309 Old 11-08-2011, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So you buy a product from a company that you think makes two exact versions of the same product but screws over the guy that does not buy it from a local authorized dealer !! get real. HD3300 is a local dealer unit and comes in black. The reference to AMD, Intel is a joke these companies work form selling higher binned thats how you get faster chips. OMG yes I have looked inside both, if me or my friends buy something we look inside to see for ourselves. You don't have higher binned resistors or mosfets or a faster chip, you paid 500 more for that warranty, as the hd33 has little warranty.

Epson is still has a better 2D picture and I do not have an Epson took it back to BB. I have a panny 7000 and it wipes the floor with a hd3300.

Panny 7000 lol.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd33 1080p 3d Projector , Projectors
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page