New Optoma HD33 HD3300 1080p 3D Projector Review - Page 97 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2881 of 5315 Old 11-29-2011, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Speaking of throw distance, is the HD33 the same as the HD20?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 5315 Old 11-29-2011, 05:56 AM

had my projector "lock up" on me yesterday while trying to watch Imax Dinosaurs Alive on my ps3. Actually caused both the PS3 and the projector to lock up... had to do with the switching back and forth between 3d and not ( while it was doing an blu-ray live update via internet ). I did not have to pull the plug on the HD33, i simply hit the power button on the back of the unit, as the remote was not having any effect.... to fix the issue I dissable the option to allow blu rays to go on the internet, and it worked fine.... I urge folks to dissable that feature from their ps3's and to try the power button on the back before pulling the plug. hope this helps...

PSN:Waltermixxx
Live:Whitby Wildcat
Shsssshshhhhhhhhh the movie's started....and it's in 3D...
post #2883 of 5315 Old 11-29-2011, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chachanyc View Post

thanks guitarman i ordered the hd33 should arrive this week looking foward to it
u seem to no alot about projectors because the throw ratio is different than my mits i have to move the hd33 closer and i have to run the hdmi and power cable through the heating duct both wires are well insulated any suggestions thanks

My old 25' HDMI cable from mono price didn't work for 3D, also the 6' basic HDMI didn't work from the 3D blu ray player. A 35' High Speed Cable did work and a 6' high speed helped. That's not saying that you'll have trouble others have had good luck.

Everything runs under the house here, all I did was package tape the ends of the high speed and old cable together and just fished it through.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2884 of 5315 Old 11-29-2011, 10:13 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandxp View Post

If you liked Captain America, wait till you see some of the other movies that were done natively in 3D! They blew my mind! I never thought I'd like the new Pirates movie, but the 3D version was incredible to me. It was absolutely stunning. I'm so hooked now, I've collect about 50 movies in the last few weeks!

I for one think there is a large difference between films. Avatar still reigns, followed by animated films like How To Train a Dragon and Megamind. But some films like Harry Potter 7 or Pirates I didn't find all that great, I had several people taking their glasses off and on to check whether there was even a difference. Post production 3D sucks, directors need to film in 3D from the start in order for it to be truly impressive.

Luckily we have 3D games...
post #2885 of 5315 Old 11-29-2011, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by shappy1010 View Post

But some films like Harry Potter 7 or Pirates I didn't find all that great, I had several people taking their glasses off and on to check whether there was even a difference.

That's odd, I thought the 3D in Pirates was very good, and I'm really picky. What I don't like is the 2.35:1 format in 3D. It needs to be IMAX or 16:9 format to pull you in like Avatar. The movie itself was a yawner to me.
post #2886 of 5315 Old 11-29-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

What I don't like is the 2.35:1 format in 3D. It needs to be IMAX or 16:9 format to pull you in like Avatar. The movie itself was a yawner to me.

Scope screen owners (like me) would disagree.

post #2887 of 5315 Old 11-29-2011, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

Scope screen owners (like me) would disagree.

I'm normally a scope guy myself (even without a 2.35/2.4 CIH setup) but I think you have to reconsider for 3D. Perhaps you will come to the same conclusion... but at least reconsider.

The scope cut of Avatar is more matted than the academy cut. That is to say that they have the same width, but the academy cut has more height. Even so, I'd normally prefer the scope in 2D.

However, let me use an example from Halo Anniversary for why academy is a better choice for 3D. The cutscene that starts Halo CE (or Anniversary) is matted to a scope aspect for that "film" effect. In one of the shots, the captain of the ship is looking at a holographic projection which is mostly circular and, in 3D, the holgram pops out of the screen. YET it was bound (clipped, cut-off, whathaveyou) by the bars added on for scope aspect. Since the object was "closer" to me, it should have appeared in my field of view to be larger than the height of the bars that were further away. Yet it wasn't, so the net result was that the object appeared to be somehow bound by an invisible bar or to be behind a bar which it was clearly in front of.

Obviously, this effect is only kicked down the road a foot or two when you open up the matte to an academy aspect- during gameplay, Master Chief's rifle appears to pop out of the screen somewhat, but is somehow bound by the edge of the projection/screen, which is theoretically further away from me (at screen depth). So the same problem exists, just lower on the screen.

But since a lot of objects are "round-ish" or "taller than they are wide" (i.e. people), these objects are more likely to be bound by the top and bottom of the screen than the sides. So a more "roundish" aspect that allows these items to be less bound by the edges of the picture.

Disney's G-Force had an intersesting solution to this I'd like to see more in use- that is that super foreground objects were allowed to break the matte that surrounded the picture.
post #2888 of 5315 Old 11-29-2011, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i was actually surprised to find out that Pirates was actually filmed in HD. Granted I have only seen the trailer attached to the Tron 3d bluray, but that looked like Thor's post-processing to me.
post #2889 of 5315 Old 11-29-2011, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

But since a lot of objects are "round-ish" or "taller than they are wide" (i.e. people), these objects are more likely to be bound by the top and bottom of the screen than the sides. So a more "roundish" aspect that allows these items to be less bound by the edges of the picture.

This part makes sense...sort of. But I still like the fact that scope movies take up much of my peripheral vision, making it much more immersive. It's the height of the screen which determines how close one should be sitting to the screen and, thus, scope allows me to have more visual real estate at the same sitting distance.

That said, I haven't had a problem at all with 3D not "popping out". The Legend of the Guardians is insane in scope!

But to each their own. I'm glad movies are being made in both formats according to how directors feel they should be presented.

post #2890 of 5315 Old 11-29-2011, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:

I for one think there is a large difference between films. Avatar still reigns, followed by animated films like How To Train a Dragon and Megamind. But some films like Harry Potter 7 or Pirates I didn't find all that great, I had several people taking their glasses off and on to check whether there was even a difference. Post production 3D sucks, directors need to film in 3D from the start in order for it to be truly impressive.

final destination blows them all out for 3d, even better than avatar and thats pretty good. both harry potter 7 part 1 and 2 sucked in 3d, could barely tell they were in 3d, if you blinked you missed the 3d parts.

pirates you couldn't miss in 3d, all the water scenes were in your face. Most post production 3d isn't that great, thor wasn't horrible though, much better than harry potter and I liked piranha in 3d, and the new one was shot in 3d so it should be even better.
post #2891 of 5315 Old 11-30-2011, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post

final destination blows them all out for 3d, even better than avatar and thats pretty good. both harry potter 7 part 1 and 2 sucked in 3d, could barely tell they were in 3d, if you blinked you missed the 3d parts.

pirates you couldn't miss in 3d, all the water scenes were in your face. Most post production 3d isn't that great, thor wasn't horrible though, much better than harry potter and I liked piranha in 3d, and the new one was shot in 3d so it should be even better.

I stand corrected, I watched Pirates in the cinema, not on my HD33 (yet).

I wonder if directors will continue to film in 3D though, the costs to do so are quite high and the hype seem to have lost a lot of momentum.
post #2892 of 5315 Old 11-30-2011, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

lost momentum? there are more and more movies coming out in 3d. blockbusters are planned for 2012, spiderman, hobbit, I think its only going to explode from here.
post #2893 of 5315 Old 11-30-2011, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 415
The Hobbit is being shot in 3D and at 48 fps. I would assume they have some way to do a decent downgrade to 24 fps for movie theaters that don't have digital cinema projectors yet.

You won't be able to watch The Hobbit at home at 48 fps until they come up with a new pre-recorded HD format. I know Sony is hot on consumer 4k Blu-ray's, TV's, and projectors, so I could only assume they would include progressive frame rates of 30 fps and up for the latest and greatest movie techniques.

I'm not a big fan of 3D, so I'd much rather they just shoot at 48 fps or 60 fps as James Cameron wants to do. The leap in fluid motion quality, depth of field, and perceived resolution would trump 3D without the need for glasses and gimmicky cinematography.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #2894 of 5315 Old 11-30-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:

I stand corrected, I watched Pirates in the cinema, not on my HD33 (yet).

I wonder if directors will continue to film in 3D though, the costs to do so are quite high and the hype seem to have lost a lot of momentum.

We are in a 3D lull right now as studios rethink what to film in 3D. The market is going to be split into three areas: 2D made into 3D (e.g. Titanic, Star Wars, and new shlock B movies); filmed in 3D blockbusters with guaranteed box office (Hugo, Star Trek, Avatar II, Superman, etc.) and digital cartoon films (e.g. Toy Story, Rio, etc.). Only those that will make their money back and more (read $100 million or more) will make it into filmed-in 3D, but that's probably enough to keep the market alive for 5 years, then we move to 4K-16k resolution TV and movies from 1080p, which is a whole new ballgame for 2D and 3D. Screens will get bigger because the resolution will get better. It's going to be wildly immersive along with smell-a-vision. We going from crawling (blue/red 3D and early dim polarized 3D) to walking now (brighter real 3D polarization and shutterglasses) to future running (passive no glasses or very light-weight polarization--no shutterglasses).
post #2895 of 5315 Old 11-30-2011, 05:22 PM

I got this info from their engineer mgr looked important.

"Right now only Blu-ray 3D is true 1080p 3D and is fully supported.by HD33

Other 3D sources such as DirecTV are 1080i 3D, but sport channel like ESPN 3D then is 720p, games are mostly 720p 3D - all such 3D format are also supported HD33 and upscaled to 1080p 3D by HD33"

post #2896 of 5315 Old 12-01-2011, 03:43 AM
Advanced Member

agree with most of what you say, but filmed in 3d movies are not just blockbusters. final destination is filmed in 3d, both number 4 and 5 and I wouldn't call them blockbusters, piranha 3dd is filmed in 3d too and while I love the first film, many didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

We are in a 3D lull right now as studios rethink what to film in 3D. The market is going to be split into three areas: 2D made into 3D (e.g. Titanic, Star Wars, and new shlock B movies); filmed in 3D blockbusters with guaranteed box office (Hugo, Star Trek, Avatar II, Superman, etc.) and digital cartoon films (e.g. Toy Story, Rio, etc.). Only those that will make their money back and more (read $100 million or more) will make it into filmed-in 3D, but that's probably enough to keep the market alive for 5 years, then we move to 4K-16k resolution TV and movies from 1080p, which is a whole new ballgame for 2D and 3D. Screens will get bigger because the resolution will get better. It's going to be wildly immersive along with smell-a-vision. We going from crawling (blue/red 3D and early dim polarized 3D) to walking now (brighter real 3D polarization and shutterglasses) to future running (passive no glasses or very light-weight polarization--no shutterglasses).

post #2897 of 5315 Old 12-01-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post

agree with most of what you say, but filmed in 3d movies are not just blockbusters. final destination is filmed in 3d, both number 4 and 5 and I wouldn't call them blockbusters, piranha 3dd is filmed in 3d too and while I love the first film, many didn't.

Piranha, from what I've read was a mix of both filmed-in 3D and converted--mostly converted. Final Destination was actually pretty good--i'll agree, however that was past. I'm talking now about what I've read going forward. Studios are rethinking all 3D since box office for 2D versions of 3D movies are now pulling in more $$s this year than last. People are tired of paying higher ticket prices for so-so 3D movies.
post #2898 of 5315 Old 12-01-2011, 08:24 AM

So new to the forums here, just had a few ? was hoping someone who owns the hd33 could help me out. Previously I owned the hd20 loved it thought it was a great pj, also my first. Then I seen that they had 3d pj so I bought the epson 3010 cause it had the two glasses already. One the 2d is pretty good blacks I are more black, but I dont really like it. For instance was playing skyrim on the hd20 didn't need ot even use torches throught the game now that im playing on the epson i have to use them cause I can't see crap.... the blacks are to black for me almost making the image look dark. Secondly as far as 3d goes.... I see what I believe is crosstalk or ghosting like two images, and alot of flickering especially in killzone on ps3 to the point I can't really enjoy the 3d, its like everything has a flickering shining edges to it. I watched captin america again not that bad but i can still see it and even if you don't notice it, its still there and causes strain on my eyes. So no one sees double images even if trying to look for it on the hd33, is there that flickering shiny stuff on the images (killzone 3). I did play assassins creed/batman and uncharted (wow great 3d) and it wasn't that bad to the point where I didn't notice it in those games. Also downloaded 3d movies of the net avatar and harry potter def noticed it on those I would see 3 images of one person, on slightly to the right and to the left of the real image. The epson pj isn't bad. So I have the hd33 ordered from amazon, but was wondering if anyone can go into detail with the 3d of this pj... mostly if it doesn't have the double image stuff does it have shiny flickering components at the edges of people/enviroments. If it does I might just cancel that order and keep the epson? Thanks.

Does this need 1.4 cable, recently was told by best buy the epson did need them and it did not. Can never trust them guys to know what they are talking about.

Does anyone know if the throw distance is the same as the hd20?

Really would like to know in more detail about the crosstalk not someone just saying no crosstalk..... like I said the epson you see double images it is almost like when you stare at your finger at the center of your eyes and your eyes begin to cross. Also very shiny/flickering outside edges of people and enviroments especially in killzone 3...... has anyone noticed this with the hd33? If I had to guess it does have this and it is just because 3d has not been mastered yet.
post #2899 of 5315 Old 12-01-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:

Pirates wasn't post production, only one scene didn't get filmed in native 3D, and I still think, at least on the HD3300 this film looks fantastic in 3D (much better than in 2D). The colors and depth stood out a lot to me. I agree about the post production 3D, too!
post #2900 of 5315 Old 12-01-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandxp View Post

Pirates wasn't post production, only one scene didn't get filmed in native 3D, and I still think, at least on the HD3300 this film looks fantastic in 3D (much better than in 2D). The colors and depth stood out a lot to me. I agree about the post production 3D, too!

can anyone who has seen Pirates in 3d on bluray and has also seen the 3d trailer that was on Tron comment on if it looks any better than the trailer? i thought the 3d in the trailer looked very phoney and weird.
post #2901 of 5315 Old 12-01-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

I attended the I/ITSEC 2011 show in Orlando this past week (world's largest modeling, simulation, and training conference), I got to see a lot of 4k projectors from different vendors, lots of 3D tech. on projectors, and some great screens, but I will till you this, I'd take my HD3300 in 3D over the 4K projectors. Yes, they looked nice, but it was not 'revolutionary' to me. They can drag out the 4K technology as long as they like, I don't care, I'm quite happy with the current state of tech.
post #2902 of 5315 Old 12-01-2011, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
cuse25

The HD33 doesn't have those problems because it's DLP and fast, I'm surprised you didn't notice the lag problem also which is bothering allot of gamers. The HD33 doesn't have the lag problem.

As far as blotted out blacks LCD's can tend to do that but maybe a proper tuning with DVE or Avia for tuning the blacks might help. No disc, all the THX lucas movies have a calibration area called THX Optimizer use that.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

post #2903 of 5315 Old 12-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

cuse25

The HD33 doesn't have those problems because it's DLP and fast, I'm surprised you didn't notice the lag problem also which is bothering allot of gamers. The HD33 doesn't have the lag problem.

As far as blotted out blacks LCD's can tend to do that but maybe a proper tuning with DVE or Avia for tuning the blacks might help. No disc, all the THX lucas movies have a calibration area called THX Optimizer use that.

cuse25 you should bring up these issues with 3010 on the dedicated threads....there are many happy owners of 3010 that dont see any of your issues....

sure HD33 owners will be delighted to tell you that LCD is crap which is far from truth !
post #2904 of 5315 Old 12-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

cuse25

To be accurate, it appears that there is 30ms less lag on the HD33, so whilst that is a good mark when comparing the two, I would hardly write it off as "no lag". It's still laggier than my 8 year old AE500.

To be more accurate, I'm not sure you can say it's bothering "allot" or even a lot of gamers, since I'm the only one who returned it over lag. Everyone else who has noticed it has said it's not a big enough issue to be a deal breaker.
post #2905 of 5315 Old 12-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post

I'm on my second HD33, soon to be third.

First one (got it September 7th with C01) wouldn't keep settings stored, had a few lockups, a line or "tearing" 2/3rds of the way up the screen in SBS 3d, and had a LCD style dust blob. Returned to amazon for an exchange.

Second one (got it September 24th with C01) still wouldn't keep settings stored, lockups were more frequent, still had the line or "tearing" 2/3rds of the way up the screen in SBS 3d, and the ever so slightest reddish tint on the lower left portion of the screen. Decided to keep this one or a little bit a I just received a bunch of 3d movies and Batman AC, GoW: Colletion 3d, Uncharted 3D and wanted to enjoy it for at least a minute. Called optoma Monday and was told to do an RMA online, filled out the info and sent a mail off and received an automated response stating i would have my RMA within 24 hours. Waited till today with no response so I called and they said the RMA is still being processed and I should have it within 24 hours.

Fingers crossed.

Also, I did state (to the rep on the phone and in the email) that I'm already on my second HD33 and since this C01 firmware is a known flaw/issue on optomas part, I feel like myself, the consumer, shouldn't have to front the shipping for the firmware upgrade. Phone rep told me they would take care of it.

Again, fingers crossed.

A little update on my HD33 issue/update/return and Optoma customer service.

So, as I wrote before, I Called optoma Nov 14'th and was told to do an RMA online, filled out the info and sent a mail off and received an automated response stating i would have my RMA within 24 hours. Waited till 2 days with no response so I called and they said the RMA is still being processed and I should have it within 24 hours.

Well, I had no response and by Friday Nov 18'th I called and finally received an RMA and they said they'ed make good on the shipping. Things is, by then it was to close to thanksgiving and I wanted the projector for the family over the holiday so I asked if I could wait till after turkey day (or to-furkey day for you meatless heathens) , to send the HD33 off. My customer service rep Ryan said that's fine, but to contact him when I wanted to send it out so he could print me up a shipping label. This past Monday rolled around and I emailed Ryan to get my shipping label ......... and nothing. I tried again on Tuesday .......... nothing again. So I called Wednesday and got a hold of him and he finally sent one out. I packed and shipped her up and sent her off, FedEx, today. I definitely let you guys know know things turn out and such when I get my beloved back.

I swear Optoma customer service has likes two or three phone reps working for them. After making about five total calls to them over the past two weeks, I must have gotten Ryan three out of those five calls.

PSN: futurecode
post #2906 of 5315 Old 12-01-2011, 02:18 PM

Honestly no, I cannot notice any lag while playing video games and I have played mw3 and killzone on 3d...........maybe I just got a lemon like the one user suggested, either that or I am just a dlp type of person.. the main thing that concerns me is the 3d ghosting problem... its there and I notice it.... and is really annoying.... maybe I am just more susceptible to it then others just like I have never known what people are even talking about when they say the rainbow effect and have had the hd20 for a long time..... I wish I was enjoying the epson more tho cause I really like that it has the built in speakers...... Idk I am going to tweak with the settings of the pj and see if I Can get it to look better in 2d..... also like i said maybe the 3d hasn't been perfected enough yet to really make it look perfect.....
post #2907 of 5315 Old 12-02-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

can anyone who has seen Pirates in 3d on bluray and has also seen the 3d trailer that was on Tron comment on if it looks any better than the trailer? i thought the 3d in the trailer looked very phoney and weird.

3D in Tron is terrible. - only the "grid" scenes are in 3D, and not very convincing either. It's a pretty decent movie though, soundtrack is awesome.
post #2908 of 5315 Old 12-02-2011, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

3D in Tron is terrible. - only the "grid" scenes are in 3D, and not very convincing either. It's a pretty decent movie though, soundtrack is awesome.

actually i was asking about how the Pirates 3d compares to its 3d trailer on Tron, which i thought looked horrible.

I think the biggest problem with Tron was how a good portion of the first half of the movie had no 3d (intentionally) but you still have the glasses on. Even when the 3d starts, the transitions between the Imax and 2.35:1 are jarring in 3d. A few of the IMAX sequences have good depth but a lot of shots that really should have MUCH more depth looked rather flat. It's like they got some of the shots right and some of them totally wrong.
post #2909 of 5315 Old 12-02-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoe View Post

I am using the ultimate3dheaven dlp-link glasses and they work great. They seem to work just as good as my 3rd gen panasonic glasses I use with my plasma, only downnsides is they are not rechargeable and they are just a tad bulkier.

How do you like and compare the picture between the HD33 and your Pani plasma? I am debating the projector vs a 65VT30.
post #2910 of 5315 Old 12-02-2011, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post

A little update on my HD33 issue/update/return and Optoma customer service.

So, as I wrote before, I Called optoma Nov 14'th and was told to do an RMA online, filled out the info and sent a mail off and received an automated response stating i would have my RMA within 24 hours. Waited till 2 days with no response so I called and they said the RMA is still being processed and I should have it within 24 hours.

Well, I had no response and by Friday Nov 18'th I called and finally received an RMA and they said they'ed make good on the shipping. Things is, by then it was to close to thanksgiving and I wanted the projector for the family over the holiday so I asked if I could wait till after turkey day (or to-furkey day for you meatless heathens) , to send the HD33 off. My customer service rep Ryan said that's fine, but to contact him when I wanted to send it out so he could print me up a shipping label. This past Monday rolled around and I emailed Ryan to get my shipping label ......... and nothing. I tried again on Tuesday .......... nothing again. So I called Wednesday and got a hold of him and he finally sent one out. I packed and shipped her up and sent her off, FedEx, today. I definitely let you guys know know things turn out and such when I get my beloved back.

I swear Optoma customer service has likes two or three phone reps working for them. After making about five total calls to them over the past two weeks, I must have gotten Ryan three out of those five calls.

I had to RMA mine and I guess I was lucky and had a very good experience. Started the process on a Monday and had new projector on Friday. I did give them a card # so they would ship the new one before receiving the old. They never charged it just verified funds.

New one came with the newer c02 firmware and has worked flawlessly.

My HT
Optoma HD33
120" Elite ultra white screen
Denon 4311
Panasonic bd210
SVS PB12 plus/2
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd33 1080p 3d Projector , Projectors
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page