post #2251 of 2311 Old 03-15-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Before the drywall goes up you need to establish where the electrical outlet for the projector will be so the electrician can install the outlet box. Also the PVC access tube (at least 2" ID) where the video cable(s) feed through. So the sooner you decide where your projector is going to go the better.

Don't forget to account for a UPS/surge protection to the projector outlet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2311 Old 03-30-2012, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm sure you will all be delighted to hear that I ordered my 5010 today and got a very good deal with no tax, 2 free 3d glasses, free delivery for the standard going street price.
I will be selling my perfect 8500 with new spare lamp (private message if interested). I am hopeful the new "pop" brightness and the 3D (if titles improve) will justify the purchase.
gil
post #2253 of 2311 Old 04-01-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Is anyone using an AT (acoustically transparent) screen with these?

How's the Moire behavior with them?
post #2254 of 2311 Old 04-01-2012, 11:25 AM

Liked: 52
Moire would depend on the screen more than the projector. Many AT screens the material gets rotated so the pixels don't align with the holes or weave pattern. The amount of rotation needed varies depending on the screen size, throw distance and amount of gap between pixels of the PJ. some screen manufacturer's keep a database of PJs and will ship the screen with the correct rotation, others give you a bigger piece of material and you test it yourself before you permanently mount the material to the frame. Some materials don't need rotation at all.

We use AT screens a lot with Epson PJs, what screens are you considering?
post #2255 of 2311 Old 04-01-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I'm thinking of using this one (Center Stage XD) from Seymour AV. Comes in 96" width. Since my screen would be roughly 84" x 46", I can order a 72" piece for $120 and cut it to whatever angle that works out to. They will bias-cut it for a nominal charge, but I'd rather cut it on my bench after I get the frame built.

Throw distance from the PJ would be around 11 feet.
post #2256 of 2311 Old 04-01-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
at Visual Apex (one of our sponsors), they are selling the 8350 for $1099, and the 3010 for $1499 with two glasses and emitter. I'm not a huge 3D fan, and am looking to get the best 2D pic for the price. There is a small difference apparently with contrast and brightness...should I save the money and go with the 8350???

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #2257 of 2311 Old 04-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

at Visual Apex (one of our sponsors), they are selling the 8350 for $1099, and the 3010 for $1499 with two glasses and emitter. I'm not a huge 3D fan, and am looking to get the best 2D pic for the price. There is a small difference apparently with contrast and brightness...should I save the money and go with the 8350???

There's a number of minor differences, but for choosing the 8350 or the 3010, it comes down to this (IMHO):

3010: Much brighter than the 8350. If ambient light is an issue or you want a screen over 120" then go with the 3010.

8350: More placement flexibility. The 8350 has lens shift, the 3010 does not. If you can mount your PJ centered horizontally and even with the top or bottom of the screen then this is not a factor. If you can not, get the 8350.
post #2258 of 2311 Old 04-30-2012, 04:42 AM

Liked: 10
Does the Epson 5010 work with the ps3 slim? I can to use the ps3 to watch blu ray and play battlefield3? What is a really good screen that is affordable? Thanks
post #2259 of 2311 Old 04-30-2012, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

I currently have a 65 inch Panasonic GT30 and I have been reading great things about projectors...especially the Epson 3010e.

In you opinion is the Epson superor to say a plasma in 3D? I am contemplating shifting to a projector.

Thanks.
post #2260 of 2311 Old 04-30-2012, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTiCE88 View Post

Does the Epson 5010 work with the ps3 slim? I can to use the ps3 to watch blu ray and play battlefield3? What is a really good screen that is affordable? Thanks

Works with the ps3 fine, but there may be some gaming lag some according to some reviews.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ntry_id=487&em

Affordable screen is kinda subjective regarding size, critical viewing, and just how affordable you want it to be?
$400 gets you a a 127" Vutec, http://www.amazon.com/Vutec-01-ELF72.../dp/B000W6JV3Y
post #2261 of 2311 Old 04-30-2012, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_David View Post

I currently have a 65 inch Panasonic GT30 and I have been reading great things about projectors...especially the Epson 3010e.

In you opinion is the Epson superior to say a plasma in 3D? I am contemplating shifting to a projector.

Thanks.

Plasma will have better blacks over almost any projector, but a proj can produce an image over 10' in size with comparative quality 3D. Which is superior to you, becomes the question? The 3010 will have some limitations, on placement, due to lack of lens shift.
post #2262 of 2311 Old 05-01-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:

In you opinion is the Epson superor to say a plasma in 3D? I am contemplating shifting to a projector.

Thanks.

A projector throws a much larger image so 3D is a lot more immersive.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #2263 of 2311 Old 05-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

Plasma will have better blacks over almost any projector, but a proj can produce an image over 10' in size with comparative quality 3D. Which is superior to you, becomes the question? The 3010 will have some limitations, on placement, due to lack of lens shift.

I have seen projectors produce almost equal blacks using a black projector sceen.
post #2264 of 2311 Old 05-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

A projector throws a much larger image so 3D is a lot more immersive.

You hit the nail on the head!
Thanks.
post #2265 of 2311 Old 05-05-2012, 03:05 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:

Thanks.

I just picked up the Epson 3010 last week and finally had a chance to play around with it. It's awesome for 3D!

Like you, I have a large plasma (Samsung 64"). I love my plasma for its great blacks and rich image (colour) quality. Even through 64 inches is great for most viewing, I've been a little disappointed that the 3D isn't as engaging as iI had first hoped. That said, the Epson projector truly brings 3D home, in a BIG way. I am, stunned at how much more depth and pop you get from the Epson 3010 than from the plasma. I mostly attribute the advantage to how big the image is. I've got my screen size currently set at about 110".

The IMAX 3D stuff looks better than the Hollywood stuff. Legends of Flight had a great deal of depth and lots of "in your face" pop that doesn't play as well on my 64" plasma. When I saw the difference here, I was happy I purchased the 3010.

If you get a projector, why not consider keeping your plasma too? I think both units compliment each other. I watch most content on my plasma, but use the projector for "event viewing" - sports, movies and especially 3D content. Bulbs dim and burn out too quickly for me. The projector is fun to use a couple of times / week. Plus, you really can't beat a good plasma for great colour a picture quality.

I have the 3010, not the 3010e, but the image should be the same from both. Last night we put on Happy Feet 2 (3D), and the image (Cinema mode) was plenty bright in our darkened room. The Epson produced an image with lots of pop and contrast. Frankly, it truly looked like theatre quality viewing to my eyes. The image was clean and clear with surprising good contrast in the 3D mode . . . and at projecting over 100" diagonally, I couldn't detect any of the pixel structure from sitting 10' from the screen.

The only thing that I have noticed is slight ghosting or crosstalk on some 3D content. It's no better or worse than what I get from my Samsung plasma in this dept. But since the Epson is a real light cannon, I would expect the extra brightness might contribute to this sometimes showing. For me, this side effect is slight - and doesn't interfere with my enjoyment.

Heck, for the low cost (I paid $1,440) of this projector, it's amazing that not only does to give a great 1080p picture, it gives a BRIGHT 3D image for less than $2,000.00. Amazing.

Ian
post #2266 of 2311 Old 05-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeger View Post

I have the 3010, not the 3010e, but the image should be the same from both. Last night we put on Happy Feet 2 (3D), and the image (Cinema mode) was plenty bright in our darkened room. The Epson produced an image with lots of pop and contrast. Frankly, it truly looked like theatre quality viewing to my eyes. The image was clean and clear with surprising good contrast in the 3D mode . . . and at projecting over 100" diagonally, I couldn't detect any of the pixel structure from sitting 10' from the screen.

Ian

Try 3d dynamic mode, be prepared to shed some tears of joy
post #2267 of 2311 Old 05-06-2012, 12:08 AM

Liked: 22
Uh wow.... tried to watch my bi-weekly movie tonight and 3010 wouldn't turn on. Power button blinks blue, fans go into overdrive for about 3-4 minutes, then lamp button flashes red and fans go into more overdrive. Manual says lamp issue. Will wait till morning, reseat the lamp, and try again. The projector has been in one location since I brought it home, no drops, no jiggling nothing in my man cave.

Is it really possible I already need a new lamp? Last week when I checked there were 48 (yes fourty-eight) total hours on it. I really only watch a movie every other week and this thing is/should be mint.

Hope the bulb is warrantied if not I'm really going to be an unhappy camper with this sort of QC

post #2268 of 2311 Old 05-06-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stm69 View Post

Hope the bulb is warrantied if not I'm really going to be an unhappy camper with this sort of QC

My heart feels for ya . . . with so few hrs. on your bulb, that's really gotta suck.

Hopefully reseating and resetting the bulb might do-the-trick. When the units are shipped from China, perhaps the bulb becomes a bit loose with all of the handling along the way.

Hopefully Epson will replace with a new (not refurb) unit when clearly you have so few hrs. on the unit. How long ago did your buy it?

Keep us informed as to how you find a resolution. If you find a fix yourself, it would be interesting to know how you get it working again -- who knows, maybe a few of us will need to do something similar to our projectors if this error message crops up on other units.

Good luck!

Ian
post #2269 of 2311 Old 05-06-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:

My heart feels for ya . . . with so few hrs. on your bulb, that's really gotta suck.

Hopefully Epson will replace with a new (not refurb) unit when clearly you have so few hrs. on the unit. How long ago did your buy it?

Ian

Thanks for the well wishes. Unfortunately it doesn't look great. I took out the lamp today to reseat it. I'm no expert but it appears to be blown. There's cloudiness like the plastic/glass on the inside layer of the lens was burnt and some black flecks inside. Reseating it gives the same error. I'll take some pictures and post later. I'm going to call Epson first thing tomorrow and see. 50 hours for a $300 bulb just can't do. Will cross my fingers.

post #2270 of 2311 Old 05-07-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:

Reseating it gives the same error. I'll take some pictures and post later. I'm going to call Epson first thing tomorrow and see. 50 hours for a $300 bulb just can't do. Will cross my fingers.

Epson, I believe, has a 90 day warranty on the bulb . . . but hopefully they have some sort of "hidden warranty" where the rep you talk to might - at their discretion - simply send you a new bulb. Hope so. I think that 50 hrs. on a bulb indicates poor workmanship in the manufacture of the bulb - or the projector. Good luck pleading your case for a replacement without cost.

One thing I saw posted here by someone is how the cooling fan turns off as soon as the projector is powered off. I just got my unit a week or so ago, and was surprised that the fan doesn't seem to cool the bulb for a few mins. after turning off the unit, like other projectors do. Does your projector, like mine, shut off the cooling fan when turning off the unit? Maybe this is something common to most of the Epson models. New to me though.

Please report any news about your dealings with Epson. The pics you plan to post might be useful to email to Epson.

Ian
post #2271 of 2311 Old 05-07-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:

Epson, I believe, has a 90 day warranty on the bulb . . . but hopefully they have some sort of "hidden warranty"

Does your projector, like mine, shut off the cooling fan when turning off the unit? Maybe this is something common to most of the Epson models. New to me though.
Ian

Ian - Yes, mine does shut off the fan after the unit is off. No way to keep the fans going without a signal I think.

I just got off the phone with Epson and they are going to send me a new bulb - yay! I asked the rep to clarify their policy regarding projector + lamps. The projector is 2 years and the lamp is indeed 90 days. There is a caveat, they do also cover "premature" lamp failure which is defined as < 500 hours. So since I am just outside the 90 day window, I assume that this is why my lamp was covered.

This should tell us Epson users that we got to be careful in monitoring bulb life just in case. They did fedex next day a bulb so I should have it in tomorrow. I will compare casings to see if the imperfections I see in the lens are indicative of a burnt out bulb, but pretty sure this will hold. Will post a side by side picture tomorrow.

I am happy that Epson stepped up but also a little worried that I got so little lamp life, hopefully it was just a lemon.

post #2272 of 2311 Old 05-07-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

This last year I kind of went on a splurge. Loved avatar in 3D in the movie theater and wanted something for the house. Bought a Panasonic 50GT30 and wanted something bigger so got a 65ST30. Still wasn't immersive enough so went out and got the 3010. I have it projecting on a white wall at about a 130-140 diagonal and ok it's finally big enough - or well I regret not doing 9 foot ceilings in the basement but it's as big as it's going to get.

The 3010 is really a light cannon. It's bright and vibrant and the dynamic mode is great for the daytime. That being said, the colors and blacks are a lot more accurate with the Panasonic plasmas. In darker or nighttime scenes, it's pretty obvious that the projector's light output works against it. Blacks are grey, less perceived contrast, etc.

3D though really works. There is some ghosting but I guess the effect tied in with a larger screen is what I was looking for. I guess it's a tradeoff you have to decide if it's worth it to you.

post #2273 of 2311 Old 05-08-2012, 06:23 AM

Why is the auto color mode disabled when you hang these from the ceiling?
post #2274 of 2311 Old 05-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

This last year I kind of went on a splurge. Loved avatar in 3D in the movie theater and wanted something for the house. Bought a Panasonic 50GT30 and wanted something bigger so got a 65ST30. Still wasn't immersive enough so went out and got the 3010. I have it projecting on a white wall at about a 130-140 diagonal and ok it's finally big enough - or well I regret not doing 9 foot ceilings in the basement but it's as big as it's going to get.

The 3010 is really a light cannon. It's bright and vibrant and the dynamic mode is great for the daytime. That being said, the colors and blacks are a lot more accurate with the Panasonic plasmas. In darker or nighttime scenes, it's pretty obvious that the projector's light output works against it. Blacks are grey, less perceived contrast, etc.

3D though really works. There is some ghosting but I guess the effect tied in with a larger screen is what I was looking for. I guess it's a tradeoff you have to decide if it's worth it to you.

Now thats what we have all been thumping our chests about - SUPERB EPSON WARRANTY and SERVICE !
post #2275 of 2311 Old 05-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

I'm considering going 3D & the 5010 & 6010 are at the top of my list. Problem is I have a nice HT bat cave right now & need some convincing. My current projector is a Marantz vp-15s CIH DLP on a 130" (2.35) Stewart 1.3 gain screen. I prefer DLP over LCD but reviews say these projectors have a similar look to DLP. Time to sell of to make room!

I have a great 7.1 receiver but need to do something about the HDMI. It's built into the receiver but it's not 3D compatible. Maybe an HDMI hub would solve that. Plug the BR player into the hub, then one HDMI to the 5010 & one to the receiver. I don't know if this might cause an audio sync issue or not. ?? Also, I have an anamorphic lens & I believe these projectors have that feature.

Any thoughts.
post #2276 of 2311 Old 05-08-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DERG View Post

I have a great 7.1 receiver but need to do something about the HDMI. It's built into the receiver but it's not 3D compatible. Maybe an HDMI hub would solve that. Plug the BR player into the hub, then one HDMI to the 5010 & one to the receiver. I don't know if this might cause an audio sync issue or not. ?? Also, I have an anamorphic lens & I believe these projectors have that feature.

Any thoughts.

I own a 5010 and I would say BUY IT and TRY it.

The solution to your NON 3D AVR is Buy a Sony BDP-S790
Blu-Ray Player. It has Dual HDMI outputs. One for Hi-Def
Audio to your AVR and One for the Epson 5010. That is my
EXACT setup - IT WORKS PERFECTLY.

This is the Sony S790 Thread - ONLY $250 for a Great Player.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1386151

A HDMI HUB WILL DO NOTHING

Does your AVR do the Anamorphic Stretch. If so you will need
a 6010 instead of 5010.
post #2277 of 2311 Old 05-09-2012, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

Now thats what we have all been thumping our chests about - SUPERB EPSON WARRANTY and SERVICE !

Well, they're fast I give them that. Replacement bulb arrived today. Took old one out, took new one out of box, installed (heck 2 screws) in ~3 minutes. Won't turn on Unplug power, retry, still won't turn on, lamp problem.

Took the new lamp out, and noticed strange rattling noises. Taped down the built in screws and just gently rocked it side to side.... tinkle tinkle tinkle.... broken glass inside. Oof, had to get on phone and ask for another lamp module being sent for Thursday. My luck will get better... soon I hope!

Edit to point out replacement lamp was sent out next day via fedex. No damage on box and it's double boxed and seems to be really really well packed. I was gentle and handled it for < 3 minutes putting it in. If these things are so sensitive, guess I can forget the bedsheet as a screen with the 3010 as a movie device for 900 miles to Disney world in the minivan

post #2278 of 2311 Old 05-09-2012, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I own a 5010 and I would say BUY IT and TRY it.

The solution to your NON 3D AVR is Buy a Sony BDP-S790
Blu-Ray Player. It has Dual HDMI outputs. One for Hi-Def
Audio to your AVR and One for the Epson 5010. That is my
EXACT setup - IT WORKS PERFECTLY.

This is the Sony S790 Thread - ONLY $250 for a Great Player.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1386151

A HDMI HUB WILL DO NOTHING

Does your AVR do the Anamorphic Stretch. If so you will need
a 6010 instead of 5010.

I would need a new BR player anyway so that's perfect. I would need the 6010 for the stretch as the Marantz 15s does this now.
post #2279 of 2311 Old 05-09-2012, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DERG View Post

I would need a new BR player anyway so that's perfect. I would need the 6010 for the stretch as the Marantz 15s does this now.

CORRECT Analysis - You will enjoy the 6010.

It comes with many Extras over the 5010.
post #2280 of 2311 Old 05-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

This may be a deal killer. Here's how my current Marantz VP-15s is setup;

* My screen is 2.35:1, 130" dia. I'm using 106" dia @ 16x9 for setup purposes
* ceiling height is 8' 6"
* top of screen is 12" down from ceiling
* projector front of lens is 13' from screen
* center of lens is 1' 2" (14") down from ceiling

If I'm understanding this setup calculator I would need a distance from ceiling of 2'10" to the center of the lens. Am I calculating this correctly? I'd like to keep the distance from ceiling to center of lens my setup with the Epson 6010 like the Marantz is now which is 14". The calculator says 2' 10" but I'm hoping this can be adjusted to 14" in setup.

Possible?
LL
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page