Panasonic PT-AR100 MSRP$ 1,999 - 4000U replacement... kind of - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1013 Old 01-08-2012, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo85281 View Post

Does anyone here think 135" is too big for a seating distance of 12.5'? I know screens "shrink" overtime so I'm trying to keep it looking huge for a long time. Overkill??

Jimbo, 135" may take some adjustment for new/fist time viewers from 12'5". People used to watching big screens may love it, others might not. My opinion is screen size is subjective. I agree with Admiral Ackbar, the larger issue is how this projector will handle this size screen. I can tell you my 119" screen from 14' is much larger than than the screen perspective I usually view from when I go to the "movie theater." You could always go to a theater and find the seating position YOU prefer. After the movie, "walk off" or measure the distance and screen size to calculate the size/distance perspective and then reverse engineer that for your home.

My question would be: are you going to be happy with the projectors ability to throw a 135" picture in regards to pixilation and motion handling? I touched on this in post 01-01-12, 1048. Every PJ has size limits in reagards to it's ability to throw a "quality" picture, I got the impression you already have the screen. If so, you could get the PJ from a source with a "try it and see" return policy to find out if it works for you.

This is exactly why we all spend so much time on these forums. PJ selection is so difficult since we can't just run to a store and compare them like we do TV sets...and in a similar size room and lighting as we are putting them in. I'd give it a try and be prepared to send it back or go with a smaller screen. One positive thing about physically getting it is you will be able to see just how big of a screen it will be able to handle to your satisfaction. Then you can share that with the rest of us. Good Luck. ....Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1013 Old 01-08-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:

Does anyone here think 135" is too big for a seating distance of 12.5'? I know screens "shrink" overtime so I'm trying to keep it looking huge for a long time. Overkill??

The THX recommended screen size for that viewing distance is 93" wide or 107" diagonal. This takes into consideration that to use a 135" screen the viewer will have to move their eyes substantially to follow action on the screen. And, the viewer will not be able to see the entire screen without using peripheral vision. I guess it is all about what you like, but I would not want to do that. It can make some people get fatigued quickly. So, since you asked for an opinion, I would say that is too big.
post #363 of 1013 Old 01-08-2012, 04:30 PM

Does anyone know for sure if this projector is using the new D9 panels? I know it was proposed early on in the thread but I'm not sure anyone was 100% positive.
post #364 of 1013 Old 01-08-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonfromCB View Post

Jimbo, 135" may take some adjustment for new/fist time viewers from 12'5". People used to watching big screens may love it, others might not. My opinion is screen size is subjective. I agree with Admiral Ackbar, the larger issue is how this projector will handle this size screen. I can tell you my 119" screen from 14' is much larger than than the screen perspective I usually view from when I go to the "movie theater." You could always go to a theater and find the seating position YOU prefer. After the movie, "walk off" or measure the distance and screen size to calculate the size/distance perspective and then reverse engineer that for your home.

My question would be: are you going to be happy with the projectors ability to throw a 135" picture in regards to pixilation and motion handling? I touched on this in post 01-01-12, 1048. Every PJ has size limits in reagards to it's ability to throw a "quality" picture, I got the impression you already have the screen. If so, you could get the PJ from a source with a "try it and see" return policy to find out if it works for you.

This is exactly why we all spend so much time on these forums. PJ selection is so difficult since we can't just run to a store and compare them like we do TV sets...and in a similar size room and lighting as we are putting them in. I'd give it a try and be prepared to send it back or go with a smaller screen. One positive thing about physically getting it is you will be able to see just how big of a screen it will be able to handle to your satisfaction. Then you can share that with the rest of us. Good Luck. ....Jon

Thanks for the Advice Jon! I actually don't have the screen and I think I've decided to DEFINITELY wait until after taking delivery of the projector to order the screen. It's very easy to take a test run and figure out which size works for me. This is a first projector and you're right, spending some time on here is very necessary. My initial projector purchase has turned from the perfect choice to something I know will not work at all. Thanks all for the input!
post #365 of 1013 Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 AM

Thanks Jimbo, Glad it helped.

I don't know that the panels in the AR100u are called "LCD 9" panels by nomaclature, part# or model #. But I can tell you they are the same size 3 panel unit as the LCD9 manufactured by Panasonic and used in the new Panasonic and Epson 3d PJs and not the same ones used in previous generation Panasonics. So, it may or may not be semantics based on 3d application or operating speed of 240/480 being used in the new 3d PJs vs the 60hz application in the AR100u. Hey, they're new panels not previously used and they just happen to be the same size as the ones they use in the new 7000 and sell to Epson which they call "LCD9".

This is my third PJ since 2005 (and it's the least expensive). The overall picture focus, pop, color, and contrast is better than any of the other eight TVs(5 are HD tube or HD LCD) in my home regardless of light conditions in any of the rooms. I have not seen any PJ under $5K in any special purpose theater room that projects any scene with the natual looking brightness of the AR100u. Even in dark, purpose built theater rooms, other PJs all appear to me as having a slightly darker or underlit appearance than would have been present when the scene was shot. The AR100u just does a great job of projecting an image with a more natural degree of brightness and light than anything else I've seen...even in a room that is fairly bright. No more dedicated closed off room, dark paint, dark carpet, painted ceiling...."it's my frickin' living room Scotty" with a $1300 PJ.

Personally I think the guys badmouthing Panasonic early in this thread were premature and didn't understand Panasonics' big change with its approach and application of this PJ. I know that I couldn't comprehend it either untill I had it. I'm sure there are some nay-saying video-phile purists and that's OK. I've had a few of them over to see this PJ and seem to get consistent responses of disbelief of just how good it is, and how good it is in all the ambient light. Then they want to know the price, and that is followed by disbelief of it's price. That says it all to me.
post #366 of 1013 Old 01-09-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonfromCB View Post

Thanks Jimbo, Glad it helped.

I don't know that the panels in the AR100u are called "LCD 9" panels by nomaclature, part# or model #. But I can tell you they are the same size 3 panel unit as the LCD9 manufactured by Panasonic and used in the new Panasonic and Epson 3d PJs and not the same ones used in previous generation Panasonics. So, it may or may not be semantics based on 3d application or operating speed of 240/480 being used in the new 3d PJs vs the 60hz application in the AR100u. Hey, they're new panels not previously used and they just happen to be the same size as the ones they use in the new 7000 and sell to Epson which they call "LCD9".

This is my third PJ since 2005 (and it's the least expensive). The overall picture focus, pop, color, and contrast is better than any of the other eight TVs(5 are HD tube or HD LCD) in my home regardless of light conditions in any of the rooms. I have not seen any PJ under $5K in any special purpose theater room that projects any scene with the natual looking brightness of the AR100u. Even in dark, purpose built theater rooms, other PJs all appear to me as having a slightly darker or underlit appearance than would have been present when the scene was shot. The AR100u just does a great job of projecting an image with a more natural degree of brightness and light than anything else I've seen...even in a room that is fairly bright. No more dedicated closed off room, dark paint, dark carpet, painted ceiling...."it's my frickin' living room Scotty" with a $1300 PJ.

Personally I think the guys badmouthing Panasonic early in this thread were premature and didn't understand Panasonics' big change with its approach and application of this PJ. I know that I couldn't comprehend it either untill I had it. I'm sure there are some nay-saying video-phile purists and that's OK. I've had a few of them over to see this PJ and seem to get consistent responses of disbelief of just how good it is, and how good it is in all the ambient light. Then they want to know the price, and that is followed by disbelief of it's price. That says it all to me.

This is all very reassuring! I really don't want to have to return a projector if possible and I'm almost 100% confident this thing will wow me (being a first time projector buyer). I'm going from a 60" SXRD from 2006, so needless to say it'll be a huge step up in MANY ways.

Do you think a white or grey screen would be appropriate with a fairly long throw of about 17'? I do like good black levels so I think I already know the answer but it would be good to hear from someone with the projector.
post #367 of 1013 Old 01-09-2012, 05:13 PM

Jimbo, I would jump on the "screen forum" and get some opinions. There are several new screens which I'm not famaliar with. My first thoughts are 17' won't be a long throw for this PJ unless you plan alot of daytime viewing in a light colored room with no light control whatsoever. I just can't imagine a situation where you would want a screen with large amounts of gain using this PJ. I would go for some contrast. My black levels are totally satisfactory from a 14' throw, so yours should be outstanding from 17. Put that on a High Contrast gray and maybe, just perhaps you may need to go from "eco" mode to full power during bright sunny day viewing.
post #368 of 1013 Old 01-10-2012, 06:35 AM

Has anyone tried the auto switching on this unit? Maybe I don't know what it is for or I can't seem to go through the correct process. I was going to try to have the PJ sense a 2.35:1 signal and convert to 16:9. I was curious how I would like it. I normally watch in the format the director intended, but I thought I would play a little. I go through the process but can't get it to work. Anyone tried?
post #369 of 1013 Old 01-10-2012, 03:09 PM

Does anyone who has this projector know if the lens has any offset built into it? I need to know if mounting on the ceiling approximately 12-14" above top of screen is going to work on a 120" screen from 17' throw. If it is in fact a centered throw (center of lens is in middle of picture when lens shift is centered) then I have to use keystone which is crappy!
post #370 of 1013 Old 01-10-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Does anyone who has this projector know if the lens has any offset built into it? I need to know if mounting on the ceiling approximately 12-14" above top of screen is going to work on a 120" screen from 17' throw. If it is in fact a centered throw (center of lens is in middle of picture when lens shift is centered) then I have to use keystone which is crappy!

Yes - the offset is adjustable. Read the bit on lens shift. You can go about 15% of your screen height beyond the edge of the screen.
post #371 of 1013 Old 01-10-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by iolmaster View Post

The THX recommended screen size for that viewing distance is 93" wide or 107" diagonal. This takes into consideration that to use a 135" screen the viewer will have to move their eyes substantially to follow action on the screen. And, the viewer will not be able to see the entire screen without using peripheral vision. I guess it is all about what you like, but I would not want to do that. It can make some people get fatigued quickly. So, since you asked for an opinion, I would say that is too big.

Personally I think the THX advice is really good. I had a previous HT with seating at about 12 feet from a 92" wide screen, and it was about perfect. Sitting about 1.5 times the screen width back is immersive withought being overwhelming. The old advice with pre 1080 procectors was to sit at twice screen width, based on image quality. I would not want to sit closer than 1 screen width, and in my current condo sit at about 2.5 times screen width for my main sofa - which is at the far end of my immersion range.
post #372 of 1013 Old 01-10-2012, 06:28 PM

Thanks for weighing in people. I still am on the fence to replace the PT-AX100 with the new AR100. I'm extremely happy with my AX100, but wanted to make the jump to 1080. (That and I need to replace my bulb at some point). Well over 3400 hours on my original bulb).

Traveler.
post #373 of 1013 Old 01-15-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Can someone please tell me how far apart the screw holes are for mounting (or point me to a downloadable manual that might have that info)? I have an existing ceiling mount that I have been using with my AE700U. I recently have purchased and am trying out the Epson 3010 and Epson 8350 and I discovered that the screw holes are about 12" apart on these two projectors, which is farther apart than my current mount plate can support. Not a huge deal if I have to buy a new mount, but I'm curious if the AR100U might be compatible, since that's another projector that I'm strongly considering.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #374 of 1013 Old 01-15-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

Can someone please tell me how far apart the screw holes are for mounting (or point me to a downloadable manual that might have that info)? I have an existing ceiling mount that I have been using with my AE700U. I recently have purchased and am trying out the Epson 3010 and Epson 8350 and I discovered that the screw holes are about 12" apart on these two projectors, which is farther apart than my current mount plate can support. Not a huge deal if I have to buy a new mount, but I'm curious if the AR100U might be compatible, since that's another projector that I'm strongly considering.

Srauly, I can't tell you specific distances, but I can tell you the placement of the mounting holes are identical to the AX200u. This is my third Panasonic PJ and all the mounting holes have been identically placed on all three. I use a Chief ceiling mount and was concerned that I would have to switch the mounting adaptor from three holes to four holes since this PJ is considerably larger and heavier....but when I screwed it onto the PJ with three screws it was obviously much stronger and more robust than required to support the PJ securely to the ceiling mount. I wouldn't be suprised if your current mount fits and works perfectly.
post #375 of 1013 Old 01-15-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Jon, thanks for your reply, but if anyone could provide me with actual measurements, I would greatly appreciate it. My universal mount's mounting plate is definitely on the smaller side. FWIW, my mount is an OmniMount PMD-series mount.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #376 of 1013 Old 01-16-2012, 06:35 AM
EAS
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

Jon, thanks for your reply, but if anyone could provide me with actual measurements, I would greatly appreciate it. My universal mount's mounting plate is definitely on the smaller side. FWIW, my mount is an OmniMount PMD-series mount.

The CAD measurements are available on the Panasonic page for the product.

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasoni...-AR100_CAD.pdf
post #377 of 1013 Old 01-16-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the link.

As it turns out, once I got my old projector unhooked from the mount, I discovered that the mount was a bit more flexible than I remembered, and I had a couple more inches to spare. I was able to successfully mount the Epson 8350 that I am testing out. The 3010 lacks lens shift and the mount isn't low enough for my current screen's positioning, so that didn't work out as well. My wife felt a bit nauseous with the latest 3D test I inflicted on her, so I'm pretty sure the 3010 will be going back. I'll probably be deciding between the 8350 and an AR100U (for the extra brightness), as I appreciate having the extra zoom length and lens shift.

Anyone here compare the Epson 8350 and Panasonic AR100U?

My room lacks light control and has white walls, but I'm planning to improve the light control and paint the walls. That said, I like the idea of having a non-pitch-black theater room as that just feels a bit more comfortable to relax in with friends and family, especially when watching something like football.

Scott R
--------------
post #378 of 1013 Old 01-16-2012, 01:40 PM

What are your initial thourghts between the epson 8350 and the AR100? is one significantly better than the other?
post #379 of 1013 Old 01-16-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainsturges View Post

What are your initial thourghts between the epson 8350 and the AR100? is one significantly better than the other?

Who are you asking?
post #380 of 1013 Old 01-16-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Perhaps he was talking to me and misunderstood my last post. I don't own an AR100U but was strongly considering it. I do own an Epson 8350 and 3010 (3D) and my old Panasonic AE700U. Both Epsons are within their return period and I've been taking advantage of the opportunity to try out a couple things (and was thinking of adding the AR100U to that list) since it's been about 8 years or whatever since I got my AE700U.

Not to dirty up this thread with talk about the competition, but after today I'm thinking seriously about sticking with the Epson 8350 and not bothering trying an AR100U. The Epson 3010 has 3D but I've been ho-hum on that, and my wife is more vocally against (doesn't like wearing glasses and she claims to feel nauseous sometimes). So I was pretty sure I'd do without 3D. The 3010 had more brightness compared to the 8350, and that was good for some situations (daytime viewing in my white-walled room with no light control), but also bad at night (whites a bit too bright).

Anyways, after getting the 8350 mounted on my existing mount (which is another negative on the 3010 - no lens shift, so I would have had to reposition my mount and probably needed a longer drop from the ceiling), it seems like it has enough brightness for my needs, and even enough brightness if I move up in screen size a bit. And that will only get better once I darken my walls and improve the light control a bit.

Scott R
--------------
post #381 of 1013 Old 01-17-2012, 06:02 AM

Yep, my question was to srualy. It seems i misunderstood your post. basically i've got a choice between (within my price range):

Epson 8350/3200: 950 / 1200 USD
Epson 3010: 1500 / 1890 USD
Pan AR100: 1800 / 2250 USD

I do need brightness as its mainly for HDTV use. So far i'm a little unsure whether it worth paying the extra $$'s for either the 3010 or AR100 vs. the 8350.
post #382 of 1013 Old 01-17-2012, 10:23 PM

I previously had the PT-AX200U and it's remote control had the "Game" button in the bottom right corner. For the new PT-AR100U, they've replaced the Game button with a Function button that can be programmed within the menu.

Only problem is that there doesn't seem to be a way to set the Function button to "Game" like on the old remote! I can set it to be the Picture Mode button but that'd be redumbdant.

Could be that I'm over-tired and oblivious to an obvious step, but if anyone can enlighten me, I'd love to know....

post #383 of 1013 Old 01-21-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTiVo View Post

Okay, I had some time this morning to do a basic calibration on the projector and take some screen shots. I must say, the projector is looking pretty fabulous in person. I'm a bit disappointed in the screen shots. They're a little bland looking. It must be the Canon Powershot SD780 IS I used for the shots.

I am a BIT concerned about the frame interpolation (or lack thereof) on this. I'm not sure I quite understand exactly what FI is supposed to accomplish, so I'm off to study that. But, everyone once in a while, I'll see a bit of a 'mess' or grain look to the picture.

The screens shots are below...

Any chance of getting more dark room screen shots showing black levels??
post #384 of 1013 Old 01-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'll try do do some more later. I might use my Flip UtraHD video cam and see if I can't get a better representation of how it looks in person.

Steve
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #385 of 1013 Old 01-22-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTiVo View Post

I'll try do do some more later. I might use my Flip UtraHD video cam and see if I can't get a better representation of how it looks in person.

That would be amazing! I look forward to it!
post #386 of 1013 Old 01-23-2012, 06:17 PM

Watchmen OK?...
I'll try to find some decent scenes now. I've got a Pana Lumix LX-5. Will do some manual pics and try to record a video snippet.

"Snippet"...love saying that word!

post #387 of 1013 Old 01-23-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulpha View Post

Watchmen OK?...
I'll try to find some decent scenes now. I've got a Pana Lumix LX-5. Will do some manual pics and try to record a video snippet.

"Snippet"...love saying that word!

Watchmen would be awesome. I'm sure a lot of people would love to see some pics and video would be a big plus!!
post #388 of 1013 Old 01-23-2012, 09:37 PM

PT-AR100U video test - now posted...

OK. So the eyes do such a remarkable job of adjusting to light, it thought it would be better to use video instead of pictures.
I ended up using the opening scene from ~Dirk Night~ since it was filmed in IMAX and produced/mastered so well.

I tried to capture the relative blackness by including a bit of the surrounding room. Light levels are always relative so I hope my efforts show in a clip that helps provide an idea of output from the AR100.

Keep in mind that "blackness" for such a bright projector like this, is even better in brighter rooms. My wife is ecstatic that she can easily play through the dark underwater scenes in Final Fantasy in the middle of the day with the curtains open!

Details are included in the video post...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MB5QEYboE0

Cheers!

post #389 of 1013 Old 01-24-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulpha View Post

PT-AR100U video test - now posted...

OK. So the eyes do such a remarkable job of adjusting to light, it thought it would be better to use video instead of pictures.
I ended up using the opening scene from ~Dirk Night~ since it was filmed in IMAX and produced/mastered so well.

I tried to capture the relative blackness by including a bit of the surrounding room. Light levels are always relative so I hope my efforts show in a clip that helps provide an idea of output from the AR100.

Keep in mind that "blackness" for such a bright projector like this, is even better in brighter rooms. My wife is ecstatic that she can easily play through the dark underwater scenes in Final Fantasy in the middle of the day with the curtains open!

Details are included in the video post...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MB5QEYboE0

Cheers!

Thanks for taking the time for doing that. What is your throw distance? Excited about ordering this one sometime this week!
post #390 of 1013 Old 01-24-2012, 07:08 PM

15' ...lens to screen. Screen is 88".

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page