Panasonic PT-AR100 MSRP$ 1,999 - 4000U replacement... kind of - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1013 Old 02-23-2012, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

I've attached the drawing from page 81 of the owner's manual showing the mounting hole configuration.

Thank you so much for this I literally just answered the door and Fedex just dropped it off. Painful as I have a day of errands before I can tackle mounting this thing...always a joyous moment when you have a new projector sitting in a box waiting to be mounted lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1013 Old 02-23-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazkioken View Post

Thank you so much for this I literally just answered the door and Fedex just dropped it off. Painful as I have a day of errands before I can tackle mounting this thing...always a joyous moment when you have a new projector sitting in a box waiting to be mounted lol

I was going to post a picture for you comparing the size and mounts of the AE900U and AR100U but it appears that you'll have your mounting solution soon enough. For others who may be interested in the difference I've attached a photo of the two, I took several photos during the unboxing of the new projector and the installing of the mounting plates. The AE900U was a great 720p projector but even when I installed a new OEM bulb last year I was only measuring a little over 12 ft-L because on my 120" screen I was really pushing this projector trying to get it to fall within the ideal range (12 to 22 ft-L) for a home theater projector. You REALLY needed a dark room for the AE900U to look decent but then as the bulb aged the increasing dimness was really noticeable in my setup. Now if you compare the 12 ft-L of the AE900U to the numbers I posted earlier (#445) for the AR100U you can see what a night and day difference there is. So if you are coming from the AE900U or an earlier Panasonic model this is a significant step up.
LL

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #453 of 1013 Old 02-24-2012, 01:31 AM

I just got the thing mounted and turned on, I'll post a pic tomorrow it was super easy. Just stuck a wooden panel on the metal plate, drilled holes to adapt the new projector.

Wow is this thing ever bright...with all my interior lights on and the AR100 in dynamic mode it can almost fool you into thinking it's a flat panel. I have a 98?100?" Greyhawk and the black levels on cinema mode are wonderful. Really with all the light leakage and reflections in my living room I don't see it getting much better. I was somewhat worried thinking I was going to end up with dark greys as blacks as the penalty for brightness and at least in my situation it's not the case. Great projector and a great compliment to the 8350 in the bedroom.
post #454 of 1013 Old 02-24-2012, 04:41 AM

Liked: 10
If you look at post 446 Cinema 1 is not all that bright at 843 lumens. But Dynamic is really bright. This allows for the best of both worlds. they have it stopped down pretty good for Cinema. If you look at the beginning of this thread, everyone was not happy with the specs. This is before anyone actually got it in their hands. For the most part I don't think the problems that were anticipated with blacks have been realized. The few pro reviews I have seen do not indicate that black levels are hurt that much with the brightness. It may not be the best, but the difference is minimal. It seems that most people do in fact appreciate the ability to turn this thing up and watch with the lights on in some situations. Other PJs can't do this as well as this one can.
post #455 of 1013 Old 02-24-2012, 09:11 AM

I thought I'd post some pics for people to see what it looks like in the daytime. This projector is a light canon lol. Excuse the mess, but the first picture is in bright daylight with the blinds directly next to the screen open and shining on the screen. The AR100 overpowers it and it's not a great calibrated picture, but for daytime tv viewing it's pretty amazing.

The second picture shows daytime with all of my interior lights on. As you can see using Dynamic is a bit too bright in this circumstance so I'm playing around with the other modes. What a great surprise this projector is so far. The bulb is fresh so the brightness will fall off a bit, but even then it's going to be great. I'll take some more pics with as much light control as I can manage tonight with a blu ray to show black levels.

Any recommended easy fixes for getting the image its best? I'll try and go through page by page here and see what others have said. If you are on the fence for a super bright projector that also can do service as home theater at night it's pretty amazing what you can get for your money now -
LL
LL
LL
kopkiwi likes this.
post #456 of 1013 Old 02-27-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iolmaster View Post

If you look at post 446 Cinema 1 is not all that bright at 843 lumens. But Dynamic is really bright. This allows for the best of both worlds. they have it stopped down pretty good for Cinema. If you look at the beginning of this thread, everyone was not happy with the specs. This is before anyone actually got it in their hands. For the most part I don't think the problems that were anticipated with blacks have been realized. The few pro reviews I have seen do not indicate that black levels are hurt that much with the brightness. It may not be the best, but the difference is minimal. It seems that most people do in fact appreciate the ability to turn this thing up and watch with the lights on in some situations. Other PJs can't do this as well as this one can.

+ + Well said. If you own this PJ and get some feedback from friends
and neighbors famaliar with home theaters it will certainly be reassuring
...especially if they see it operate with some daylight present.
post #457 of 1013 Old 02-27-2012, 09:29 AM

Actually, I screwed up. It is post #445 not #446 that is referenced in the preceding post.
post #458 of 1013 Old 02-27-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazkioken View Post

I thought I'd post some pics for people to see what it looks like in the daytime. This projector is a light canon lol. Excuse the mess, but the first picture is in bright daylight with the blinds directly next to the screen open and shining on the screen. The AR100 overpowers it and it's not a great calibrated picture, but for daytime tv viewing it's pretty amazing.

The second picture shows daytime with all of my interior lights on. As you can see using Dynamic is a bit too bright in this circumstance so I'm playing around with the other modes. What a great surprise this projector is so far. The bulb is fresh so the brightness will fall off a bit, but even then it's going to be great. I'll take some more pics with as much light control as I can manage tonight with a blu ray to show black levels.

Any recommended easy fixes for getting the image its best? I'll try and go through page by page here and see what others have said. If you are on the fence for a super bright projector that also can do service as home theater at night it's pretty amazing what you can get for your money now -

crazy looking mount. Is that metal bar literally hanging out in front of the window un-supported?
post #459 of 1013 Old 02-28-2012, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

The only test review I have seen of the AR-100 is the Projector Central report, which had several negatives about this projector. Can anyone point me to some other published reviews?
post #460 of 1013 Old 02-28-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffman View Post

The only test review I have seen of the AR-100 is the Projector Central report, which had several negatives about this projector. Can anyone point me to some other published reviews?

There really aren't any other published reviews (that I know of) than the Projector Central one. Everyone has been waiting on Art Feierman's review on Projectorreviews.com since his teaser preview back in September 2011 and it's still listed as 'awaiting arrival'.

Additional comment: The title for this thread is misleading and a little derogatory (...kind of) implying that this projector was intended as the replacement for the Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector when in fact it is closer to being an upgrade replacement for the Panasonic PT-AX200U. Some people were ticked that Panasonic didn't follow up with a PT-AE5000U model and used that as an excuse to take pot-shots at the AR100U. I've asked the AVS moderators to change the title to something more appropriate like 'The Owners Thread for the Panasonic PT-AR100U' but have heard nothing so far.

post #461 of 1013 Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Very strange that the AR-100 has been pretty well ignored by the AV experts.
Is it a case of " if you have nothing good to say, better to say nothing at all"?
Whatever the cause, the silence about this projector is deafening, and I suspect that is hurting AR-100 sales. I know that in my case I thought that the AR-100 would be just the projector I was looking for, but the Projector Central report steered me away from it and I purchased an AE4000 instead. It would have been really nice to have had several professional reviews to get a better informed decision.
post #462 of 1013 Old 02-29-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very strange that the AR-100 has been pretty well ignored by the AV experts.
Is it a case of " if you have nothing good to say, better to say nothing at all"?
Whatever the cause, the silence about this projector is deafening, and I suspect that is hurting AR-100 sales. I know that in my case I thought that the AR-100 would be just the projector I was looking for, but the Projector Central report steered me away from it and I purchased an AE4000 instead. It would have been really nice to have had several professional reviews to get a better informed decision.

From all accounts the 4000U is a great projector, Panasonic sold a ton of them and it was on my short list of projectors once I decided to upgrade. I had a $3000 budget so I considered many projectors and was always close to purchasing but for one reason or another I failed to pull the trigger (there always seems to be at least one negative thing about every projector out there). I'm sensitive to RBE so DLP projectors were out of the question although there were many tempting contenders and I'm not interested in 3D at the moment. In addition to the 4000U other projectors I considered were the Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Epson's 5010/3010/8350, LG CF181D and the JVC DLA-HD250.

Since I could easily afford any one of these projectors why go with the least expensive (and supposedly less capable) of the bunch? For me it came down to light output, I was weary of projectors that put out a great picture but only when viewed in a black hole environment. My first floor family/home theater room is not the optimum place to view a movie although I generally only used my previous projector in the evening but even this becomes a problem in the summer when darkness doesn't set in until late at night. I had to close the blinds and draw the curtains to block out one window and close the two doors to the room, not ideal for an audience that likes to come and go to the kitchen or bathroom, I am sure people reading this know what I mean. So when I read the September review at Projector Central it piqued my interest but I wasn't sure I was ready to trade away all of the esthetics of a 'true' home projector for what seemed like a bright projector with a less than perfect picture. Boy was I wrong! The blacks are black, the contrast is excellent and the colors are well saturated. Over the past two nights my wife and I have watched the Blu-rays of Hugo and the animated Puss in Boots, both movies looked jaw-droppingly good and we had some low level lighting in the room.

I agree that the lack of reviews on this projector may be deterring some people from considering this projector, but believe me it is certainly NOT the runt of the litter. As someone said earlier in this thread 'all of today's projectors look good' so it's up to the consumer to decide what fits their pocketbook and their needs.

post #463 of 1013 Old 02-29-2012, 02:15 PM

Add me to the "nothing to complain about" camp.

Last month, I noticed my 3yo AX200 had 2400hrs on its second bulb so instead of investing in a new lamp I decided to hit the forums and see what new models have come out. I've been far outside the loop. In fact, I avoid this forum if I'm not buying equipment...spending time here tends to make me convince myself I NEED new equipment. Maybe some of you can relate?

When I got the AX200, I wanted 1080p but I don't like paying the premium for the latest feature. I figured that 1080p was probably a standard feature by now so I started searching for whatever Panasonic released to succeed the AE4000. Well that looked pretty awesome, and the 7000's light output was better as a bonus (matching my AX200 if I recall). Price looked ok too. However, 3D now seems to be the latest premium feature so I started looking for the next model below the 7000.

Then...I found the AR100. 1080p, more lumens, and a price near what I paid three years ago? Yes please! My room is multipurpose and near a west-facing picture window, so I could not consider a batcave videophile projector at any price. Even though the AX200 was supposedly a light cannon, some days i had to hang blankets from the ceiling to block uncontrollable light.

Long story short, I am thrilled with the AR100. It looks better during the day than the old proj did at night The only thing that would make it perfect would be a frame creation feature, but since I've never owned a tv or proj with this feature I don't know (or want to know) what I'm missing. Maybe in three years.

If you're wondering why this thread has less activity than it "should," consider the possibility that the new owners are too busy watching their new projector to have time to write about it. Like someone said earlier, this proj opens up more time during the day that you can watch it...expect to go through lamps more quickly.

Jonathan Faber
post #464 of 1013 Old 02-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Well that's great that users have a high opinion of this projector, which makes it all the more puzzling that it is being largely ignored by the AV press and forums.
post #465 of 1013 Old 02-29-2012, 08:33 PM

482 hours so far.
No problems to report - at all.
Errr... unless lamp-time consumption is considered a concern...heh!
Sports, games, upscaling, everything's sweet.
Brightness still amazing, black levels still admirable.
0 regrets upgrading from PT-AX200.

Happy viewing!

post #466 of 1013 Old 03-01-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:

Well that's great that users have a high opinion of this projector, which makes it all the more puzzling that it is being largely ignored by the AV press and forums.

Not so puzzling considering the "pride and profit" aspect of home theaterphiles and an industry that profits by selling all the equipment it takes to build "the dream." A PJ that performs this good in someone's living room at this price point just ain't good for profit and sales of "batcave" dedicated products. Home theater affectionado's who have invested time, effort, and money creating a "batcave" to extract the highest performace from their PJ see no increased performance from this PJ so it's easy to be critical and cynical of it and it's performance...even though it performs as good or better in a light room than their PJ performs in their batcave.
post #467 of 1013 Old 03-01-2012, 09:00 AM

This is my first projector so I don't have anything to compare it to. I have it set up in our media room while using it with copious amounts of ambient light and also in the dark with lights out. It looks great in either case paired with an Elunevision Perlux Silver 1.4 gain, 16:9 screen.

Averaging 50 hrs use per week as our everyday TV and movie projector and am very happy with it.
post #468 of 1013 Old 03-01-2012, 10:24 AM

Projector reviews has confirmed that they recieve the projector today! Not long till a review.
post #469 of 1013 Old 03-02-2012, 11:57 AM

PT-AR100U is now $1000, with a $300 rebate on top of that? Is this for real? I could replace my PT-AX200U with 2700 hours on it for only $700 -- twice the cost of a new lamp.
post #470 of 1013 Old 03-02-2012, 12:11 PM

I see the price dropped to $999 at PP and some other places, but the rebate isnt listed there anymore. I download the rebate form and it says its for any purchases made between 2/10 - 3/31. Given that I'm thinking you could still use it...anyone have any more info on this. Does AVS sell this projector?

Tim
post #471 of 1013 Old 03-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimShadler View Post

Does AVS sell this projector?

Tim

No, it appears that AVS does not sell any Panasonic projectors anynmore(none are listed in the AVS store, and Panasonic is not even listed as a manufacturer of projectors in the scroll down menu). When the new Panny AE7000 came out AVS initially had them for sale, but no longer. Not sure why. In any case your best bet IMO is Projector People who have all the Panasonic projectors for sale, and usually have the best prices and service.
post #472 of 1013 Old 03-02-2012, 12:35 PM

PP claim the rebate was pulled and then the price was dropped, maybe someone can get lucky with it though
post #473 of 1013 Old 03-02-2012, 12:39 PM

Ok. Like i said the form does list those dates, so if someone buys one it might be worth a shot.

Tim
post #474 of 1013 Old 03-02-2012, 12:52 PM

Talked to PP more and they read me the email stating the rebate is now void and the price drop is in effect, however B&H Photo has the $1000 price and still lists the rebate (may be a mistake but if you order now seems like they would have to give it to you)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Projector.html
post #475 of 1013 Old 03-02-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcguire525 View Post

Talked to PP more and they read me the email stating the rebate is now void and the price drop is in effect, however B&H Photo has the $1000 price and still lists the rebate (may be a mistake but if you order now seems like they would have to give it to you)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Projector.html

Hard to believe Panasonic will honor this $300 rebate if they have notified merchants that it is void. Nonetheless $1000 for this projector is a sweet deal.

post #476 of 1013 Old 03-02-2012, 02:57 PM

I'm just interested in what B&H will say when someone buys it and the rebate isn't honored, they clearly have $699 after rebate listed on the website!
post #477 of 1013 Old 03-02-2012, 11:17 PM

does anyone know the problems i might have if i was to buy the ar100 in the US and bring it to europe?

I know the volatage is diffrent (sure there are ways around it), but will the NSTC / PAL diffrence be an issue?
post #478 of 1013 Old 03-03-2012, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcguire525 View Post

I'm just interested in what B&H will say when someone buys it and the rebate isn't honored, they clearly have $699 after rebate listed on the website!

I would not order online, I would call and talk to a sales rep. and make sure they know that Panasonic does not intend to honor this rebate. If they insist that the rebate is valid the burden still falls on the buyer if B&H is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainsturges View Post

does anyone know the problems i might have if i was to buy the ar100 in the US and bring it to Europe?

I know the voltage is different (sure there are ways around it), but will the NSTC / PAL difference be an issue?

It would be best to call the merchant and ask these questions directly, the voltage one is the most important since the projector specs state it can handle PAL and SECAM.

post #479 of 1013 Old 03-03-2012, 10:52 AM

Can any owner tell me what the direction of the cooling airflow is in the AR100U?

Epson 8500UB (R); Elite Electric100 16:9; Yamaha RX-V671; Polk Monitor 60 x 2, Polk CS2, Polk Monitor 30 x 4
post #480 of 1013 Old 03-03-2012, 11:38 AM

Intake on back left and exhaust on front left. If on a table. Right sides if ceiling mounted of course.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page