Panasonic PT-AR100 MSRP$ 1,999 - 4000U replacement... kind of - Page 32 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #931 of 1032 Old 06-06-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedog225 View Post

I never understood the warning about zero tolerance for costco posts that was (is?) posted on the forum main page. What was that about? Thanks. Tom.

That's an old warning and should probably be removed by AVS. It dates back several years to a time when Costco would replace or refund a projector no questions asked and with no time limitations.

While this was a great policy it unfortunately lead to abuse by members who saw it was an opportunity to try new projectors and return them after a few months or few years. They would take the refunded money and buy another new projector they were interested in. In other words they used Costco to upgrade their projectors for free whenever they thought something better had come along. They would then come on the AVS forum (and other projector forums) and brag about their latest abuse and spread the word that it was perfectly okay since Costco's return policy allowed them to do it - hence the eventual AVS warning. With time Costco became aware of the abuse and changed their return policy to what it is today.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1032 Old 06-06-2013, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Makes sense. Thanks.
post #933 of 1032 Old 06-24-2013, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No longer on Costco website? Or I am just searching wrong.

http://t.costco.com/projectors.html
post #934 of 1032 Old 06-25-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I mentioned this in the AR100U Owners Thread a couple of weeks ago. Not surprising considering their popularity and Costco's business model - negotiate a decent price, buy a truckload and sell. When they're gone they're gone. With Costco it's always best to buy when something becomes available.

post #935 of 1032 Old 06-28-2013, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been reading up on this projector and it has me very interested. I recently bought and tried out the BenQ W1070 and I see too many rainbows for it to be enjoyable. So now I am looking for a good LCD projector. Originally I was looking at the Epson 8350 but all the QC issues have kind of scared me away... Are there any known issues with the AR100u? How about lamp life?

I will be in a completely light controlled basement. Viewing habits will likely be 45/45/10 for sports, movies, TV. I'll likely watch sports with some lights on. Maybe a dim light or two for movies, but I don’t know for sure since my basement is not completely finished yet and I’ve never had a projector before. I’ll be projecting from around 12 feet. Sitting around 13 feet. Screen size will be around 110 inches. I’ll likely use a DIY screen or some cheap Elite or Visual Apex screen.

Originally when I looked at this Panasonic I was concerned about the brightness. I thought it might be too bright for my fully light controlled basement, but from what I’ve been reading the Panasonic (on economic mode) will actually be less bright than the BenQ at my projection distance and screen size. Am I understanding this correctly? At 12 feet on a 110 inch (1.0 gain) screen I’m seeing 21.5 fl from the Panasonic and 30 fl from the BenQ. I don’t find the BenQ overly bright in a pitch black room so I should be ok, right?

I really like the fact that this thing will project a good image in ambient light. I’d like to have some buddies over for games and I don’t want to be sitting round in the dark. And I don’t want to be watching a washed out picture.

So is this thing right for me? I have no interest in 3D. I want a good picture in a dark and light setting. Don’t really care about getting the blackest blacks. As long as it LOOKS black, I’m good.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
post #936 of 1032 Old 06-28-2013, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I had a BenQ W1000 and changed to this PT-AR100, the picture is way brighter with the lights on, it fires up way faster, on the con side, its a much larger projector and the fan is louder. On the lamp side, it seems like it will last longer than my BenQ although the stats say it shouldn't.
I am very happy with the purchase though.
post #937 of 1032 Old 06-28-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryrrthg View Post

Read through The official Panasonic PT-AR100U Owners Thread (it's only 3 pages long) and by the end I'm sure you'll know whether it's right for you or not.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1428735/the-official-panasonic-pt-ar100u-owners-thread

post #938 of 1032 Old 06-28-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanntastic View Post

I had a BenQ W1000 and changed to this PT-AR100, the picture is way brighter with the lights on, it fires up way faster, on the con side, its a much larger projector and the fan is louder. On the lamp side, it seems like it will last longer than my BenQ although the stats say it shouldn't.
I am very happy with the purchase though.

Thanks for the info. The BenQ w1070 is fairly noisy and it doesn't really bother me all that much.
post #939 of 1032 Old 06-28-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Read through The official Panasonic PT-AR100U Owners Thread (it's only 3 pages long) and by the end I'm sure you'll know whether it's right for you or not.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1428735/the-official-panasonic-pt-ar100u-owners-thread

Thanks! I read it all yesterday. wink.gif Good stuff! I like what I've read. Most of the traffic on this model is fairly old. Was hoping to get some updated info on any QC issues, etc. I guess it could be like someone mentioned in this thread or the other. A quiet thread usually means everyone is happy with it and there are fewer issues/problems... Or it just doesn't sell - but I find that hard to believe since it always seems to be on Projector People's top 10.
post #940 of 1032 Old 06-28-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks! I read it all yesterday. wink.gif Good stuff! I like what I've read. Most of the traffic on this model is fairly old. Was hoping to get some updated info on any QC issues, etc. I guess it could be like someone mentioned in this thread or the other. A quiet thread usually means everyone is happy with it and there are fewer issues/problems... Or it just doesn't sell - but I find that hard to believe since it always seems to be on Projector People's top 10.

As you say a quiet thread(s) are usually a good sign and I think that's true with the AR100U. Issues with this projector are few and far between. Costco was selling this projector for a while but seems to have gone through all of their inventory. It's been a top seller for Projector People which is where I purchased mine. I have 1700+ hours on my projector and use it daily 3-4 hours without any problems. It seems as bright and colorful as when I first installed it. I'm not going to tell you this is best projector out there but in its price range it's been a solid performer for Panasonic.

post #941 of 1032 Old 06-28-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:

As you say a quiet thread(s) are usually a good sign and I think that's true with the AR100U. Issues with this projector are few and far between. Costco was selling this projector for a while but seems to have gone through all of their inventory. It's been a top seller for Projector People which is where I purchased mine. I have 1700+ hours on my projector and use it daily 3-4 hours without any problems. It seems as bright and colorful as when I first installed it. I'm not going to tell you this is best projector out there but in its price range it's been a solid performer for Panasonic.

Good to hear. I haven't been watching price for very long. Has it gone on sale at all recently?
post #942 of 1032 Old 06-29-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good to hear. I haven't been watching price for very long. Has it gone on sale at all recently?

If there is one persistent complaint (from prospective buyers) about the AR100U is that the price has been rock steady at $1300 for well over a year. There was a sale discount of $300 in early 2012 when the projector was first introduced to work up consumer interest but nothing since then, another sign that it is performing well for Panasonic.

-

post #943 of 1032 Old 07-07-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Does panasonic have a model name structure? I.e. like epson has for the 3010, 3020...

I wonder if they will do a 2013 refresh.

------------------------------------
post #944 of 1032 Old 07-08-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaadams View Post

Does panasonic have a model name structure? I.e. like epson has for the 3010, 3020...

I wonder if they will do a 2013 refresh.

The Panasonic evolution diagram has been posted here before.

http://panasonic.net/avc/projector/special/home_cinema_projector/

Refresh? Possible, but there was quite a time interval (4 years) between the AX200 and the AR100U.

post #945 of 1032 Old 07-08-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:

Quite right. I have had nary an issue with mine over 6 months and have no regrets as I'm still very much convinced I need the output...even though I get by nicely in eco mode.

I think this is just a bit of an "odd" PJ for enthusiasts and even first-timers. If anything, I think it gets played up a bit too much in the brightness dept and people get the (wrong) idea that it's a miss elsewhere when nothing could be further from the truth. Could we have deeper blacks and better contrast? Sure. But at this price-point you'll be hard-pressed- if not completely unsuccessful- finding a unit nearly as bright, with lens shift, while doing quite well in the other areas of PQ importance.

Sure there's a bit of a tradeoff, but I really doubt that most will be anything but thrilled with this unit for 12-$1300. I recommend it without the slightest bit of hesitation.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #946 of 1032 Old 07-08-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been reading up on this projector and it has me very interested. I recently bought and tried out the BenQ W1070 and I see too many rainbows for it to be enjoyable. So now I am looking for a good LCD projector. Originally I was looking at the Epson 8350 but all the QC issues have kind of scared me away... Are there any known issues with the AR100u? How about lamp life?

I will be in a completely light controlled basement. Viewing habits will likely be 45/45/10 for sports, movies, TV. I'll likely watch sports with some lights on. Maybe a dim light or two for movies, but I don’t know for sure since my basement is not completely finished yet and I’ve never had a projector before. I’ll be projecting from around 12 feet. Sitting around 13 feet. Screen size will be around 110 inches. I’ll likely use a DIY screen or some cheap Elite or Visual Apex screen.

Originally when I looked at this Panasonic I was concerned about the brightness. I thought it might be too bright for my fully light controlled basement, but from what I’ve been reading the Panasonic (on economic mode) will actually be less bright than the BenQ at my projection distance and screen size. Am I understanding this correctly? At 12 feet on a 110 inch (1.0 gain) screen I’m seeing 21.5 fl from the Panasonic and 30 fl from the BenQ. I don’t find the BenQ overly bright in a pitch black room so I should be ok, right?

I really like the fact that this thing will project a good image in ambient light. I’d like to have some buddies over for games and I don’t want to be sitting round in the dark. And I don’t want to be watching a washed out picture.

So is this thing right for me? I have no interest in 3D. I want a good picture in a dark and light setting. Don’t really care about getting the blackest blacks. As long as it LOOKS black, I’m good.

Don't worry about the light output, you'll be fine.

good luck

James

post #947 of 1032 Old 07-08-2013, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

http://www.costco.com/Panasonic-PT-AR100U-Full-HD-Home-Cinema-Projector.product.100031782.html?catalogId=10701&keyword=ar100u&langId=-1&storeId=10301

This has been an amazing projector for us. We have been using it for outdoor screenings of movies and it's not disappointed. A bright and vivid picture. If you have any ancillary light in your room this unit should be more than sufficient to overpower it.
post #948 of 1032 Old 07-09-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinsmoke View Post

http://www.costco.com/Panasonic-PT-AR100U-Full-HD-Home-Cinema-Projector.product.100031782.html?catalogId=10701&keyword=ar100u&langId=-1&storeId=10301

This has been an amazing projector for us. We have been using it for outdoor screenings of movies and it's not disappointed. A bright and vivid picture. If you have any ancillary light in your room this unit should be more than sufficient to overpower it.

It's good to see that Costco has restocked the AR100U. This would indicate (at least to me) that this projector has been a good seller for them.

The advantage to buying this at Costco is their generous return policy. This is especially important for those people interested in this projector but unable to audition it anywhere.

post #949 of 1032 Old 07-09-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

^ and the extra year on the warranty.

Or is it a 2 year warranty from Panny, straightaway?

James

post #950 of 1032 Old 07-09-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

^ and the extra year on the warranty.

Or is it a 2 year warranty from Panny, straightaway?

James

One year from Panasonic. It's two from Costco.
post #951 of 1032 Old 07-09-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

^ thought as much, thanks.

James

post #952 of 1032 Old 07-19-2013, 08:06 AM

All,

First off thanks for sharing so much information on this site. Have been in the market to replace my Hitachi PJTX100 becuase of a bad lcd. I decided last week to order the PT-AR100U and in one word it is AMAZING!!

Just a little background for my use. Basement where I can control light very well but don't always like to watch in the dark especially sports when I have people over. I have the projector mounted 13 feet from a 86 inch dalite screen. I watch the following:

40% sports
25% movies
25% directv
10% Wii

So far it has handled all of them perfect. Love this pj and would recommend to anyone in the market. I currenly have the following set up:

PT-AR100U
Directv
Onkyo 616
LG Blue Ray Player
Wii
Monoprice HDMI cables
Klipsch RF 7 series speakers

Questions or commets let me know.

Thanks
JK
post #953 of 1032 Old 07-19-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I mentioned this in the AR100U Owners Thread a couple of weeks ago. Not surprising considering their popularity and Costco's business model - negotiate a decent price, buy a truckload and sell. When they're gone they're gone. With Costco it's always best to buy when something becomes available.

Gone off their website again so prospective buyers should consider Costco as an on again, off again source. Selling well I assume.

Quote:
The items offered on Costco.com, including promotional offers, are limited to supplies on hand and unfortunately we are unable to guarantee item availability.

To secure the best prices for our customers, Costco.com purchases all items in bulk quantities. When inventory has sold out, our buyers try to negotiate additional inventory whenever possible. Unfortunately, it is not always possible to replenish inventory of all items.

When an item inventory reaches 0, the item is automatically removed from the website. Merchandise is continually added to Costco.com whenever inventory is available. When the item you are looking for is offered for purchase, it will appear on the site. We encourage you to check the website frequently for availability of this item as well as other new and exciting merchandise that is added each day.

post #954 of 1032 Old 07-20-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If only Panasonic would release a new version that adds 3D. That would be a big seller...not everyone is looking to spend 2k+.
post #955 of 1032 Old 07-30-2013, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
New to the thread, been following both threads on the 100 and this one seems more current. Definitely going to make this unit my 1st projector from everything I have read about it. The con is I am in Canada and the lowest I can find it for is $1999 Canadian. Seen it as low as $1299 online in the states. My question is what was Costco selling it for in US? Link says 'OUT OF STOCK' currently. And if anyone knows if they sold or bought one here in Canada and for how much? Thx for any info you can share. Jim
post #956 of 1032 Old 07-30-2013, 11:00 PM

Hey guys hows it going? I have had my ar100u for about 4 months I don't really have any complaints. The only problem I come across is when i put my call of duty: black ops game in to my ps3 the screen goes blue and i can still hear the background of the game like its at the menu but I can't see anything. Does it have to do with the fact that the game is 3d? I remember when I had my ps3 hooked up to my led screen I would have to change it to 2d because I couldn't stand 3d. Would just like to play this game on the big screen, thanks guys.
post #957 of 1032 Old 07-31-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpecTypeR View Post

Hey guys hows it going? I have had my ar100u for about 4 months I don't really have any complaints. The only problem I come across is when i put my call of duty: black ops game in to my ps3 the screen goes blue and i can still hear the background of the game like its at the menu but I can't see anything. Does it have to do with the fact that the game is 3d? I remember when I had my ps3 hooked up to my led screen I would have to change it to 2d because I couldn't stand 3d. Would just like to play this game on the big screen, thanks guys.

You've basically answered your own question. you can't play a 3D game on a 2D projector or 2D HDTV. You have to change the setting on the PS3 to 2D before playing.

post #958 of 1032 Old 07-31-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEANS View Post

New to the thread, been following both threads on the 100 and this one seems more current. Definitely going to make this unit my 1st projector from everything I have read about it. The con is I am in Canada and the lowest I can find it for is $1999 Canadian. Seen it as low as $1299 online in the states. My question is what was Costco selling it for in US? Link says 'OUT OF STOCK' currently. And if anyone knows if they sold or bought one here in Canada and for how much? Thx for any info you can share. Jim

The AR100U was selling for $1300 plus tax on the U.S. Costco website when it was available.

In Canada Eastporters.com claims to be a Panasonic authorized dealer and sells the AR100U at a discounted price. It can be bundled with a screen for an additional discount. However, prices are usually given on the telephone or via email.

post #959 of 1032 Old 07-31-2013, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Thank you very much Mr.G! Yes I saw their price at a slashed $1799?! So shot them an email! Noticed the screen bundle as well, but to be honest I really hadn't thought that far. Hoping for a 100'-120" throw size i guess but won't really know for sure until the 100 is in the basement.
My situation is an open concept, not dedicated with a bar etc. My movie viewing area screen wall is 13' wide, length is 22+ and my ceiling height 7' 1/2.

Using the same product value principle as the projector, i would want the best budget screen I could get to compliment the PT-AR100U.
post #960 of 1032 Old 07-31-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:

You've basically answered your own question. you can't play a 3D game on a 2D projector or 2D HDTV. You have to change the setting on the PS3 to 2D before playing.

Thanks for responding. The thing is, you can play the game in 2d but for some reason it loads in 3d by default so I was wondering if anyone had a work around for this that can be solved through the ps3? Like it would be in 3d on my hdtv so I had to use the hdtv menu and change it to 2d so I wonder if there is a way to somewhat do the same thing but obviously do it through the ps3 since you can't obviously adjust it through the projector. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page