Panasonic PT-AR100 MSRP$ 1,999 - 4000U replacement... kind of - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1013 Old 12-16-2013, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Try Provantage. They have the real deal.

http://www.provantage.com/panasonic-et-laa110~7PANP0T6.htm

i know you had asked for this a month ago but i waited as long as i could to change my bulb, ended up getting 2700 hours out of it, could have got more but i thought i might as well do it.

bought a bulb from the link above, and it came quickly, it came with full instructions and a new filter.

here is what it looked like out of the package (cell phone pics)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1013 Old 12-16-2013, 04:47 PM

forgot to say but changing the bulb was quick and painless, took two minutes
post #993 of 1013 Old 12-17-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanntastic View Post

i know you had asked for this a month ago but i waited as long as i could to change my bulb, ended up getting 2700 hours out of it, could have got more but i thought i might as well do it.

bought a bulb from the link above, and it came quickly, it came with full instructions and a new filter.

here is what it looked like out of the package (cell phone pics)

Thanks for the post. I was curious whether a replacement filter was still included with the lamp. I see Provantage is offering the lamp for $300. I'd order one but I'm only at 2350 hours and it's still quite bright.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #994 of 1013 Old 01-06-2014, 06:48 AM

I'm sure I'm breaking a cross posting rule but I'm not sure how many AR100U owners are watching both threads and I'm in a small bind. I contacted support about a uniformity issue with my projector and they claimed it was within the norm. I disagreed and they asked for more photos from other owners. Does anyone have the time and are willing to take some photos of an all white image?

Here is mine for comparison (using cinema):

Support also asked me to provide photos of the image in all output modes along with examples from others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 - Make your mac context and location sensitive!

post #995 of 1013 Old 02-12-2014, 04:55 PM

Hello everyone. I'm configuring my devices to work with the xbox one & voice commands. Does anyone know what device to select that will send the PT-AR100 the double off command. A few work and send the single on command, but I can't find one that does the double off.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
post #996 of 1013 Old 02-13-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basecorvette View Post

Hello everyone. I'm configuring my devices to work with the xbox one & voice commands. Does anyone know what device to select that will send the PT-AR100 the double off command. A few work and send the single on command, but I can't find one that does the double off.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Don't think this question has come up before. Best chance of finding an answer is to contact Panasonic directly, either by phone, email, live chat or form submission.

Panasonic Contact Technical Support for Projectors:

post #997 of 1013 Old 02-16-2014, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Well I love the AR 100 but I guess I can count on spending $300 a year on a bulb unless I get a new PJ...which will prolly be the case anyway, soon. If you can start getting bulbs with twice the life that's obviously $150 annually, assuming a comparable $300 lamp cost. In a few years it starts to legitimize a ~$2,000 higher-performing alternative.

At just under a year of ownership I'm up to 2600+ hours and that's with 2+ months outside and ~10 hours a week viewing between August and the World Series. And while it's still fine with some light control, it's noticeably dimmer than last February. When it gets moved to a more permanent indoor installation surely I'll be near 3,000 hours within a year with my "tv-style" watching habits and a 3 year old home with my guidance-counselor wife during the summer.

For as much as I'd like to keep it for dedicated outdoor viewing and get another for inside I simply cannot justify it as I have but 4-5 months out of the year for such activity in Wisconsin. Sigh.

Oh well. Great PJ, it's just the pinch of 300 fazools every twelve months for me.

Take care, all.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #998 of 1013 Old 02-18-2014, 01:39 PM

I have my AR100 for about 2 years and only have about 600 hours on it. I decided to check the filter and removed the cover. It looked very clean. (ceiling mount in a clean environment) I tried to take the filter out to look a bit more closely and was unable to pull it out. I don't have the best leverage due to the fact it is on the ceiling but I could not get it to budge. I checked the manual and it says pull it out. Is it really that simple? Any advise?
post #999 of 1013 Old 02-19-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iolmaster View Post

I have my AR100 for about 2 years and only have about 600 hours on it. I decided to check the filter and removed the cover. It looked very clean. (ceiling mount in a clean environment) I tried to take the filter out to look a bit more closely and was unable to pull it out. I don't have the best leverage due to the fact it is on the ceiling but I could not get it to budge. I checked the manual and it says pull it out. Is it really that simple? Any advise?

If it's your first time removing the filter, yes it's a pretty snug fit. The plastic tabs that hold it in place are slightly over-sized so it takes a good pull to get the filter unit out. It can be a little disconcerting at first.

Once you get it out you will see that filter unit has tabs for disassembling. This allows easy access to the gray foam filter (which can look clean but is usually loaded with a fine dust) which should be vacuumed clean. Underneath the foam filter is the electro-static filter which is white and pristine but should be vacuumed too. When vacuuming the foam filter be careful not to accidentally suck it into the vacuum cleaner. To get around this some people rinse the foam filter in water to remove the dust then blot it dry with a paper towel to remove all moisture. Reassemble the filter unit and replace in projector.

Some people like to use compressed air to blow out the dust. However this should be done outside so as not to introduce the dust back into the room air.

For the overly cautious if the filter is going to be out of the projector for a long time drape a sheet of microfiber lint free cloth across the opening. Also turn off the furnace/air conditioner while cleaning the filter to minimize the movement of air in the room.

post #1000 of 1013 Old 02-20-2014, 02:30 PM

I did get it to come out. So, I vacuumed the two parts. They didn't look at all dirty and didn't look any different after vacuuming.
post #1001 of 1013 Old 02-20-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iolmaster View Post

I did get it to come out. So, I vacuumed the two parts. They didn't look at all dirty and didn't look any different after vacuuming.

Yes, I'm not surprised that your projector filter wasn't that dusty after 600 hours. I guess it can go another 600 hours no problem. wink.gif

post #1002 of 1013 Old 02-21-2014, 04:09 AM

I think the recommended 100 hour interval is overkill for vacuuming the filter.
post #1003 of 1013 Old 03-07-2014, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Putting it through the dishwasher works great.
post #1004 of 1013 Old 03-07-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedog225 View Post

Putting it through the dishwasher works great.

Not sure if you are joking, but page 73 in the manual says not to wash the filters. I would not do that.
post #1005 of 1013 Old 03-12-2014, 04:49 AM

Not joking. It has worked well for years. I didn't know the manual indicated otherwise. Probably fine either way
post #1006 of 1013 Old 03-19-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I currently have the PT-AX200u and its bulb is getting pretty dim. I have had this since 2008. I love this projector.

I am considering replacing this instead of purchasing a new bulb.

With that said, I have no use for 3D, but am currently torn between the AE8000u or the AR100u.

My room is light controlled to an extent. I am at 50/50 in terms of Movies vs nonMovies.
My room is setup to be lights out for Movies but some lights on for nonMovie situations like for watching TV, games, or video games or concerts.

You can see my room in my signature build thread.

I am wondering if the AE8000u is too much money especially if I am not using it for 3D.

What are your thoughts?

Doug
Where there's a beer, there's a way.

post #1007 of 1013 Old 03-20-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

I currently have the PT-AX200u and its bulb is getting pretty dim. I have had this since 2008. I love this projector.

With that said, I have no use for 3D, but am currently torn between the AE8000u or the AR100u.

My room is light controlled to an extent. I am at 50/50 in terms of Movies vs nonMovies.
My room is setup to be lights out for Movies but some lights on for nonMovie situations like for watching TV, games, or video games or concerts.

I am wondering if the AE8000u is too much money especially if I am not using it for 3D.

What are your thoughts?

If you loved the AX200U and it fit your viewing requirements then you'll be happy with the AR100U. Brighter, better contrast and 1080p. As you probably know the AR100U is the successor to the AX200U.

http://panasonic.net/avc/projector/special/home_cinema_projector/

The AE8000U is designed for a true home theater environment ie. a bat cave. If you're not planning on using it that way then it's probably a waste of money. It's all subjective.

post #1008 of 1013 Old 06-30-2014, 06:18 PM

Hi all.

Has anyone taken one these apart? Like FULLY apart.

My HDMI 1 input stopped working so I removed the main board to check it out and doing so undid where the optics are. Yes yes I know. This was obviously a massive schoolboy error as I introduced dust somewhere - infact I think I touched one of the lenses. Again yes yes I know. OK.

Before I do the right (and probably costly thing) of sending it back to panasonic for a service...I was wondering if anyone had any tips of cleaning dust from the inside of unit - not where the bulb is..but where the actual optics are.

Also if anyone has photos of the interior - where to put the right screws etc then I would appreciate that.
post #1009 of 1013 Old 07-01-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sermad View Post
Hi all.

Has anyone taken one these apart? Like FULLY apart.

My HDMI 1 input stopped working so I removed the main board to check it out and doing so undid where the optics are. Yes yes I know. This was obviously a massive schoolboy error as I introduced dust somewhere - infact I think I touched one of the lenses. Again yes yes I know. OK.

Before I do the right (and probably costly thing) of sending it back to panasonic for a service...I was wondering if anyone had any tips of cleaning dust from the inside of unit - not where the bulb is..but where the actual optics are.

Also if anyone has photos of the interior - where to put the right screws etc then I would appreciate that.
No one has posted information on how to clean out dust blobs or have taken their projector apart. Although this is a problem for all LCD projectors it hasn't been a major issue with the AR100U so far. As time goes I'm sure owners with dust blobs will become more common.

The only help I can provide is a copy of the AR100U service manual if you don't have it. PM your home email address if interested.

EDIT: This is no longer true. I recently had the misfortune of having a dust blob show up in my AR100U. For more information go to this link on the official thread on the AR100U.

The official Panasonic PT-AR100U Owners Thread

Last edited by Mr.G; 07-20-2014 at 07:51 AM.
post #1010 of 1013 Old 08-30-2014, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

What are your thoughts?
Hey - I'm in the same boat. I've also had the AX200u since 2008. It's showing some end-of-life signs. Did you upgrade to the AR100u? If yes, how do you think it compares?
post #1011 of 1013 Old 08-30-2014, 08:48 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by p150 View Post
Hey - I'm in the same boat. I've also had the AX200u since 2008. It's showing some end-of-life signs. Did you upgrade to the AR100u? If yes, how do you think it compares?
That is the same upgrade that I did..... AX200U to PT-AR100 in 2012 and I am glad I did. I had a ton of hours on my two bulbs for the AX200 and decided to buy the AR100. Although my room has almost total light control, it is still a great projector for me. in ECO mode the AR100 is brighter than the 200 (especially if your bulb is getting dim), but not overly bright. I couldn't get myself to cough up the extra money for the AE8000 or whatever was in that class in 2012. I was surprised how much bigger the AR100 is compared to the AX200. I had to put a larger shelf on the wall to hold her.
post #1012 of 1013 Old 08-31-2014, 04:52 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtucker View Post
That is the same upgrade that I did..... AX200U to PT-AR100 in 2012 and I am glad I did. I had a ton of hours on my two bulbs for the AX200 and decided to buy the AR100. Although my room has almost total light control, it is still a great projector for me. in ECO mode the AR100 is brighter than the 200 (especially if your bulb is getting dim), but not overly bright. I couldn't get myself to cough up the extra money for the AE8000 or whatever was in that class in 2012. I was surprised how much bigger the AR100 is compared to the AX200. I had to put a larger shelf on the wall to hold her.
Thanks. If you don't mind, a few specific questions on the two:
1 - How does the AR100 do in low-light scenes? I find the AX200U is at its worst when the scenes are dimly lit.
2 - Do you know if the AR100 has the flicker problem that the AX200u had? This has been a pet peeve of mine since 2009 or so when it first showed up. It's sporadic.
3 - How does the fan noise compare? The AR100 is apparently louder but is this a problem? My projector sits on a shelf not far from the couch.
post #1013 of 1013 Old 09-02-2014, 09:42 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by p150 View Post
Thanks. If you don't mind, a few specific questions on the two:
1 - How does the AR100 do in low-light scenes? I find the AX200U is at its worst when the scenes are dimly lit.
2 - Do you know if the AR100 has the flicker problem that the AX200u had? This has been a pet peeve of mine since 2009 or so when it first showed up. It's sporadic.
3 - How does the fan noise compare? The AR100 is apparently louder but is this a problem? My projector sits on a shelf not far from the couch.
The AR100 is still a LCD projector so its black levels are so-so and the dark scenes don't have the best contrast. I don't think it is noticeably better at dark scenes / black levels than the AX200.

I saw flicker on the AX200 about four times. Each time running the bulb for a day at full power (non eco) took care of the flicker for me. I have not seen the flicker on the AR100 and I don't remember anyone complaining about flicker with it. I gave the AX200 to a friend who is still using it.

The fan noise (in eco) was louder on the AR100 than the AX200. My projector sits right behind where I sit mounted on the back wall a few feet above head level so I am very close to it. I remember thinking "wow, that is loud" when I first plugged it in and was calibrating it, but of course I never watched the AX200 without sound. Sitting there with no sound makes you more sensitive to fan noise. I get a movie going and I don't think about it, but it definitely seemed like it had more fan noise compared to the AX200. It isn't a problem for me, but people are sensitive to different things.

Matt
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page