Closed Thread

post #91 of 106 Old 06-09-2002, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
http://www.cgns.com/IMX_technology.htm

Click the fill factor demo buttons to see it visually or you can read the explanation. Basically it shifts the pixels around to minimize screendoor and the grid pattern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 106 Old 06-12-2002, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Hi,

Last night re-watched Mononoke Hime (Princess Mononoke) http://us.imdb.com/Title?0119698

I guess it was my third viewing of the movie and it seems got better. The neverending conflict between human and the nature.

The R1 DVD picture quality is excellent overall and the DD5.1 soundtrack is haunting with powerful bass in some scenes.

The AE100 shown the movie in flying color. I pay extra attention on some blue sky, white cloud scenes to look for faint vertical banding but can't really notice any real issue.

IMO the best anime movie from Ghibli Studio is The Raccoon War http://us.imdb.com/Title?0110008 And my personal favorites are Laputa: Castle in the Sky http://us.imdb.com/Title?0092067 and Kiki's Delivery Service http://us.imdb.com/Title?0097814 Now I think Mononoke Hime is a very good movie too.

Usage at 537 hours and counting...

regards,

Li On
post #93 of 106 Old 06-14-2002, 05:03 AM

Saw the AE-100 in action for the first time yesterday. The showroom in the shop was totally darkened and they had just received the AE so everything was set to the default factory settings. The connection was S-video.

Bearing all this in mind I was very impressed. Yes, I could see screendoor. Yes, black level is not perfect. Do I care? Not at all. I would easily be able to live with the picture I saw and this was the AE at it's worst. I can only imagine how good it will look with tuning and a better connection.

The size of the image was also breathtaking. Sure I had read all about what image size you would get from which distance but reading is quite different from seeing it in front of you. The picture was HUGE! The distance was below 3m and still we were talking at least 80" diagonal. I knew it was capable of doing this but 80" is just a number. It sounds big but when I saw it for the first time. Simply wow. Now I want it even more than I did before :-)

The movies I tested it with was Toy Story 2, Harry Potter and Fight Club. All looked very good. Fight Club is probably one of the better dvds for checking out black level. Here it was quite clear that contrast couldn't meassure up to a Tv, but given the size of the image and the quality of the colors I wouldn't mind. Toy Story 2 of course looked perfect in every way. Beautiful.

Can't wait to see it when they hook it up to a progressive scan player.

-Jens
post #94 of 106 Old 06-15-2002, 12:01 AM

I wish more Miyazaki were available on DVD in the USA. I've got Castle of Cagliostro and Mononoke, but I'd like to get Kiki's Delivery Service and whatever else is available on Region 2 dvd.

Tonight I watched Jin-Roh The Wolf Brigade on my HTPC connected to the AE100. It was written by Mamoru Oshii of Ghost in the Shell and the Patlabor series of movies.

It's a dark retelling of little red riding-hood set in an alternate late '50s Japan in which the Germans occupied after WWII.

The colors were dark, faded, and muddy...but appropriate to the subject matter.
post #95 of 106 Old 06-15-2002, 12:22 AM

Quote:
After you talked about Pitch Black, I had to borrow a copy and check it out. I had seen it before and didn't think it anything special but you are right, the DVD is great! I was thinking all the dark scenes would make the lack of black levels obvious but I think some good camera work + lighting really made things stand out. Some of the scenes that were close up on their faces with the rain had amazing detail. Too bad I'm just using headphones, so I couldn't really check the audio track out.
I can't believe you say it isn't anything special. Vin Diesel put's in the performance that moves him into the A list, the bottom of the A list, but the A list nontheless. The sound on the film is exceptional. The supporting cast do their job and the film scares the bejesus out of people. The special effects are well done and this production has CULT MOVIE written all over it.

Still, you can't please everyone.
That's what Jesus said...
post #96 of 106 Old 06-15-2002, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Notronuser
I wish more Miyazaki were available on DVD in the USA. I've got Castle of Cagliostro and Mononoke, but I'd like to get Kiki's Delivery Service and whatever else is available on Region 2 dvd.
Then buy the R2s, that's what I've been doing :-). Sure, they are more expensive than R1 movies (4900 Yen), but the picture quality is outstanding and every movie has English subtitles.

So far I've got R2 editions of the following Ghibli/Miyazaki movies:

-Castle of Cagliostro (the R1 although progressive is nothing compared to this one. You wouldn't believe that it's from the '70s)
-Grave of the Fireflies
-Kiki's Delivery Service
-My Neighbor Totoro
-Porco Rosso
-My Neighbor the Yamadas

They all look wonderful and the storytelling is fantastic. I bought them through CdJapan.

-Jens
post #97 of 106 Old 06-18-2002, 11:20 PM

Guess I'd better do the same before the Yen jumps any further relative to the dollar.

I watched the reissued Evil Dead II tonight. Lots of dark scenes, fast pans, buckets of blood. The Panny did quite well considering my screen distance.

I think I'm up to about 50 hours on my AE100.
post #98 of 106 Old 06-19-2002, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by Seahorse

I can't believe you say it isn't anything special. Vin Diesel put's in the performance that moves him into the A list, the bottom of the A list, but the A list nontheless. The sound on the film is exceptional. The supporting cast do their job and the film scares the bejesus out of people. The special effects are well done and this production has CULT MOVIE written all over it.

Still, you can't please everyone.
That's what Jesus said...

When I said anything special, I meant I didn't think the DVD TRANSFER was anything special :)

The movie is pretty good for what it tries to be, a fun little action/sci-fi. I wouldn't call it A-list, but I think I generally agree with what the rating at IMDb is for this, in comparison to other movies. Maybe Fast and The Furious made me think less of Big Vinny :)
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0134847
post #99 of 106 Old 06-19-2002, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oddjob
I picked up the IMX for about $100 on ebay, and it is certainly worth that and more.
Keith,

Just curious, what model IMX lense were you able to pick up on eBay? was it one of the older ones designed for low resolution?

///CA
post #100 of 106 Old 06-19-2002, 12:17 PM

Quote:
When I said anything special, I meant I didn't think the DVD TRANSFER was anything special :)

The movie is pretty good for what it tries to be, a fun little action/sci-fi. I wouldn't call it A-list, but I think I generally agree with what the rating at IMDb is for this, in comparison to other movies. Maybe Fast and The Furious made me think less of Big Vinny :)
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0134847
Gotcha. It has that low-buget cult movie, big budget follow up about it. I bought the Fast & the Furious on the strength of Vin's performance in Pitch Black. A real shame, insert surfboards & you get Point Break...:mad: Let's hope he redeems himself in Triple X...
post #101 of 106 Old 06-21-2002, 11:35 PM

Last night I watched Donnie Darko. A spookie little riff on the eighties. Filmed on high speed film for effect.

Tonight I watched Aliens. I wasn't prepared for how nice the picture looked on the AE100. My AE100 is to the point were I can just sit back and enjoy.

Next film to watch: Dark Blue World.
post #102 of 106 Old 06-22-2002, 03:50 AM
TKF

Watched U-571 last night. Everything's OK except find the picture
slightly greenish.

I am currently using FLD Hoya filter, can anybody suggest what is the best
RGB white level setting for my set up to improve the color?
Screen is just matte white 84".

Thanks.
post #103 of 106 Old 06-22-2002, 04:40 AM

The IMX I picked up is model IMX911-VT 91.6 mm to 104.1 mm. The CT series are the older low resolution lenses, so this is one of the high resolution models. The 911 has a different glass composition than the new 930 series lenses, and a less sophisticated adjustment mechanism. But for $100 it was good value.

Keith.
post #104 of 106 Old 06-24-2002, 09:37 AM

I've just returned from the shop where I demoed the AE100 last week. At that time they used S-video connections. Now they use component (non-prog.). The difference is impressive. The clarity, the colors and the vastly diminished screendoor really blew me away. And to think that it will look even better with a progressive player (or HTPC if you go in that direction).

The non-progressive component picture looked outstanding. I would easily be able to enjoy that.

-Jens
post #105 of 106 Old 06-24-2002, 12:10 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

So how much does the IMX reduce screen door? Does it allow you to sit closer? Could you compare the screen width distance before and after using the IMX? Say, before you had to sit 1.5x screen width away in order not to notice screen door, and with the IMX you have to sit __ screen width away.
post #106 of 106 Old 06-25-2002, 10:32 AM

Can changing the type of input (component vs. S-video) really address the screendoor issue? I always figured it was more of an optics problem. If that's not the case, could someone explain otherwise?

Thanks,

Dan
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page