Optoma ml500 Vs Acer K330. What's better??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 73 Old 09-18-2011, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know Acer k330 is no available in US yet.

I will buy optoma ml500 or acer k330 and keep it until any company show up with a real full HD.

I would like to see what you guys think about it before i get it.

Any answer or opinion will be helpful.

Thank's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 09-18-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

depends,IMO most here (not the led fans) would go with the optoma,seems less saturated colors and brighter lumens.

(fifth element)
post #3 of 73 Old 09-18-2011, 11:30 AM

I don't think anyone here has seen one, since it's not available in North America and Europe yet. We'll just have to be patient for another month or so and see if reviews pop up. The biggest difference apart from any projection/noise spec differences that may exist seems to be that the Acer supports a wireless dongle and has an audio out socket instead of S-video in.
post #4 of 73 Old 09-18-2011, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post
depends,IMO most here (not the led fans) would go with the optoma,seems less saturated colors and brighter lumens.

I'm looking for better picture quality around 120" diagonal, if optoma has it, probably it will a better choice.

Let's see more comments .
post #5 of 73 Old 09-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

are they both 3d ready or not?
post #6 of 73 Old 09-18-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewer View Post
are they both 3d ready or not?
as far as i know they are 3d , but not Hdmi 3d like to play a ps3 3d , but they are 3d to use with a computer and a software to make it 3d.

But i could be wrong because i'm new on it. and i don't know to much.

let's wait to somebody explain it better.

It will be my first projector.

eat meat could you tell us about it???
post #7 of 73 Old 09-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

this is my first projector also. they both 720p or 800p projector also.
post #8 of 73 Old 09-18-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

3d looks to be dlp link thu vga at 1024x768,that means a computer,3d drivers and 3d player software.
Quote:
from optoma-The ML500 is 3D capable, delivering XGA resolution 120HZ thru the VGA port (the equivalent of 3D-PC). The projector can deliver a 50-inch 3D image with plenty of brightness.

(fifth element)
post #9 of 73 Old 09-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

since vga can take 3d, can hdmi take 3d or not. is it hdmi 1.3 or 1.4a ?
post #10 of 73 Old 09-18-2011, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewer View Post
since vga can take 3d, can hdmi take 3d or not. is it hdmi 1.3 or 1.4a ?
I don't think so.

I think is 1.3.
post #11 of 73 Old 09-18-2011, 12:39 PM

They are HDMI 1.3. You cannot do 3D over HDMI. It has to be hooked up to a PC with special software, you can't hook it up to a 3D Blu-ray player or a PS3. It also can't do widescreen 720p (1280x720) in 3D, it only does 4:3 1024x768.

Again though, it's difficult to compare the two projectors since very few people have the ML500 and no one has the K330 (it's not out yet!)
post #12 of 73 Old 09-18-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

you do realize that all these pjs are basically the same-made by the same company.

as far as 3d over 1.3, yes you can ,they have been doing it on the 720p,acer,optima,dlp pjs(with pc,s and blue ray players with 3dxl or vip)

(fifth element)
post #13 of 73 Old 09-18-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I thing there are 2 or 3 bluray players that output page fliping-that was always the problem I think.

(fifth element)
post #14 of 73 Old 09-18-2011, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

you do realize that all these pjs are basically the same-made by the same company.

They are not the same, although they may be built by the same manufacturer. From the tests thus far it seems some of the clones have decided to focus on lumens, vs lumens while calibrated, vs on/off calibration; all of which affect picture quality. I'm not sure, but their color calibration may also differ (and considering the limited tools these projectors provide for calibrating color, that may affect one's decision).

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence, than it does knowledge. Charles Darwin
post #15 of 73 Old 09-18-2011, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul GS View Post

They are not the same, although they may be built by the same manufacturer. From the tests thus far it seems some of the clones have decided to focus on lumens, vs lumens while calibrated, vs on/off calibration; all of which affect picture quality. I'm not sure, but their color calibration may also differ (and considering the limited tools these projectors provide for calibrating color, that may affect one's decision).

uh.. yea.. I said basically

(fifth element)
post #16 of 73 Old 09-19-2011, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDudley View Post

I don't think anyone here has seen one, since it's not available in North America and Europe yet. We'll just have to be patient for another month or so and see if reviews pop up. The biggest difference apart from any projection/noise spec differences that may exist seems to be that the Acer supports a wireless dongle and has an audio out socket instead of S-video in.

I know that, but there is a lot people in this forum that know a lot of about it.
And they are be able to find answers fast than us, just reading about it they will know what's better than other.

I'm looking for better and clear picture on screen around 120". that's it.
Fan noise, size , color , it doesn't matter to me for now , I don't know in the future after knowing a little about it if it will matter.

But you're right about it just a few people has just the optoma, and acer didn't arrive in USA yet.

Any help is a big help to me because it will be the first one that i'll get. And i don't know nothing about it.
post #17 of 73 Old 09-19-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ir bass View Post

Any help is a big help to me because it will be the first one that i'll get. And i don't know nothing about it.

You've posted in the Acer K330, Ml500 and The Three LED Clones threads, so if you still claim to know nothing........ I don't know what to tell you. I imagine you read thru some of the other threads as well. Also, I do not understand why you started 3 new threads. Optoma ml500 Vs Acer K330. What's better??? LG HX350T Vs Optoma ML500 LG HX350T The Truth about it.
post #18 of 73 Old 09-19-2011, 08:51 PM

We "do know" they all use the same PT-54 chipset from Luminous Devices http://www.luminus.com/products/color.html As well as the .45 HD DLP chip from Texas Instruments with diamond pixels http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-20...ag=mncol;title A 120 inch screen with any of these projectors should be achievable with the right screen. People are using the Qumi at 110-120 inches and it has the PT-39 chip, which was measured at 172 lumens in bright mode by anomaly123 (see post 1511 in the Qumi thread)
post #19 of 73 Old 09-19-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:

I know that, but there is a lot people in this forum that know a lot of about it.
And they are be able to find answers fast than us, just reading about it they will know what's better than other.

There isn't any useful information out there because no one has it yet. I don't know why you believe there are a lot of people here who know a lot about it. If you want people's guesses and pure speculation, there's plenty of that in the three clones thread, but I wouldn't trust any of it until it actually ships and people get their hands on it.

Quote:

I'm looking for better and clear picture on screen around 120". that's it.
Fan noise, size , color , it doesn't matter to me for now , I don't know in the future after knowing a little about it if it will matter.

Well, the things you don't care about are really the only thing people can comment on, because no one has the projector. Appart from some alleged specifications from a Chinese site posted in the three clones thread.

Quote:

But you're right about it just a few people has just the optoma, and acer didn't arrive in USA yet.

It's not just the USA. It's not available anywhere.
post #20 of 73 Old 09-20-2011, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Ir bass >>> I posted a comparison sheet for the results of test reportings of the Optoma ML500, Acer K330, Viewsonic W500, NEC L50W and the Vivitek Qumi as performed by ZOL.com on page 4 of the thread titled "The Three 1280x800 LED Clones", and in case you haven't seen it, you might find it useful...
post #21 of 73 Old 09-20-2011, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

Ir bass >>> I posted a comparison sheet for the results of test reportings of the Optoma ML500, Acer K330, Viewsonic W500, NEC L50W and the Vivitek Qumi as performed by ZOL.com on page 4 of the thread titled "The Three 1280x800 LED Clones", and in case you haven't seen it, you might find it useful...

I'll take look . Thank's
post #22 of 73 Old 09-21-2011, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

POST ORIGINAL FROM MCaugusto (the results of test reportings of the Optoma ML500, Acer K330, Viewsonic W500, NEC L50W and the Vivitek Qumi as performed by ZOL.com on page 4 of the thread titled "The Three 1280x800 LED Clones")

-------------------------------VIVITEK QUMI --- VIEWSONIC PLD-W500 --- ACER K330 ---- NEC L50W --------- OPTOMA ML500 ------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maximum Lumen Brightness : 181 --------------------- 421 ------------------ 383 --------------332 ---------------- 429 -------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANSI Optimized Brightness : 110 --------------------- 371 ------------------- 294 --------------312 ----------------- 330 ------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANSI Contrast ::::::::::::::: :: 30:1 --------------------- 238:1 ---------------- 276:1 ------------218.1 ------------- 159:1 -------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FULL-ON/FULL-OFF Contrast : 1.560:1 ---------------- 1.475:1 --------------- 2.291:1 ---------2.990:1 ---------- 1.538:1 -------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Color Saturation ::::::::::::::: 128.2% ------------------ 62% ----------------- 99.4% -----------105.0% ---------- 123.8% -------
Brightness Uniformity Center :: 1.39 -------------------- 1.18 -------------------- 1.08 --------------1.16 ------------ 1.18 --------
Brightness Uniformity Corner :: 2.19 ------------------ 1.74 -------------------- 1.44 --------------1.37 -------------- 1.61 -------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Color Uniformity Center ::::::: 0.018 ------------------- 0.010 ------------------ 0.010 --------------0.010 ----------- 0.009 -------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Color Uniformity Corner ::::::: 0.021 ------------------- 0.016 ------------------ 0.012 --------------0.014 ----------- 0.016 -------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maximum Power Use ::::::::: 53 watts --------------- 88 watts --------------- 88 watts --------- 80watts --------- 84 watts ---------
Economy Power Mode ::::::::: 17 watts --------------- 62 watts -------------- 52 watts ---------- 46watts --------- 59 watts ----
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Temperature Hottest Port - Celsius : 66 degrees ---- 62 degrees ------------- 56 degrees ------ 69 degrees ------ 66 degrees ----
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Temperature Average ::::::::::: 38 degrees ---------- 39 degrees ---------------- ??? ----------- 44 degrees ------- 38 degrees
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Brightness Uniformity of less than 1.5 is acceptable and less than 1.2 is almost imperceptible.
Color Non-uniformity : the human eye can distinguish 0.003 deviation and acceptable values are between 0.001 to 0.010 range deviation.
Color saturation standard chosen for tests was NTSC RGB; According to ZOL.com and verified by online articles, the measurements for mainstream LCD and CRT monitors are on average about 70%~75% color range of NTSC RGB, for comparison.
Screen size used during testing was 3 meters or 100 inches diagonal.
No noise measurement given for any projector, unfortunately.
Hottest air exhaust port located on front of projector next to lens AND secondary port on left side of case, with the exception of the Qumi and NEC which displayed highest thermal exhaust temperature on port located on left side of case and away from lens, which is preferable.
Comments such as extremely detailed image, excellent shadow detail, good thermal design and rather low readings for hot air exhaust temperature, very good/clear text display. Viewsonic W500 displayed well-saturated colors with the exception of RED, which was lacking while Acer K330 displayed excellent RGB colors but RED was overemphasized and BLUE was very accurate.
Some of my comments would be : lumen brightness much less than spec'd, especially the Qumi at 181 lumens followed by the Acer K330 at 383 lumens, and that's not even calibrated.
It appears that the Acer K330 has indeed higher native contrast ratio than the Viewsonic W500, 2.291:1 versus 1.475:1; However, the Viewsonic has substantial more lumen output than the Acer K330, particularly when measured by using the ANSI test display image, 371 lumens versus 294 lumens...
No description for any controls for CMS, grey-scale tracking, gamma, etc, so we'll have to wait for owner's manuals to be released.
post #23 of 73 Old 09-21-2011, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

MCaugusto i don't understand to much about those numbers above, but to me the VIEWSONIC PLD-W500 and Optoma ml500 looks good, but i can be wrong about it.

So i have a question for you, from those numbers above, if you decide to get on pj. Which one do you prefer for your HT.

Thank's
post #24 of 73 Old 09-21-2011, 06:52 AM

The audio out and what "appears" to be much higher contrast on the Acer over the Optoma are keeping me from pulling the trigger on the ML500. It seems the brightness differences aren't that significant.

Like anything else, sometimes the numbers are just that. Perceivable differences can be a whole other story. As eat meat has said, all of these are basically the same. But someone doing an A/B/C/......D comparison would be helpful anyway
post #25 of 73 Old 09-21-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:

MCaugusto i don't understand to much about those numbers above, but to me the VIEWSONIC PLD-W500 and Optoma ml500 looks good, but i can be wrong about it.

So i have a question for you, from those numbers above, if you decide to get on pj. Which one do you prefer for your HT.

Thank's

You need to just hold your horses and wait for the PJs to come out.

Regardless of how many questions you ask, no one can answer your questions.

Only one of the four (Optoma) is currently out. These specs don't really mean much until people have it in their hands.

You seem to want somebody here to tell you that the ML500 is better so you have a reason to go out and buy one.

Just sit tight and be patient.
post #26 of 73 Old 09-21-2011, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonWolf View Post

Just sit tight and be patient.

I'm trying...
post #27 of 73 Old 09-21-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:

I'm trying...

It's about 10 ~ 15 days for the Acer to be released. Best to definitely hold your horses so that first adopters can provide some feedback.
post #28 of 73 Old 09-21-2011, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Ir bass >>> i guess it depends : according to these test reports if you're looking to maximize onscreen brightness, get pretty good contrast ratio and colors with the strongest saturation of all four projectors i would go with the Optoma ML500; If you're looking for the best contrast ratio, a bit less lumen output and colors slightly less saturated/closer to specs - and yet 100% of NTSC RGB specs ! - i would go with the ACER K330 ( my fave) or the NEC L50W, both not yet available for sale; The NEC has a higher msrp than the competition and runs considerably hotter than the ACER K330 measuring 13 degrees celsius warmer at exhaust port, albeit the port located away from the lens.
post #29 of 73 Old 09-21-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

Ir bass >>> i guess it depends : according to these test reports if you're looking to maximize onscreen brightness, get pretty good contrast ratio and colors with the strongest saturation of all four projectors i would go with the Optoma ML500; If you're looking for the best contrast ratio, a bit less lumen output and colors slightly less saturated/closer to specs - and yet 100% of NTSC RGB specs ! - i would go with the ACER K330 ( my fave) or the NEC L50W, both not yet available for sale; The NEC has a higher msrp than the competition and runs considerably hotter than the ACER K330 measuring 13 degrees celsius warmer at exhaust port, albeit the port located away from the lens.

thank's
post #30 of 73 Old 09-28-2011, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

I think the time arrived to see how acer k330 will work.

[url="http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/projectors/Acer_K330.html"]
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP