3D quality with Optoma BG-3DRFGLASSES vs DLP-Link glasses - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 09-22-2011, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought an Optoma GT750E and I'm debating on whether or not to get the BG-3DRF glasses Optoma makes over some DLP-Link glasses.

Falafala has posted a review on the RF glasses and he likes the DLP-Link glasses better: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post20947646

And Chris Blount had an issue with the RF glasses watching a certain movie: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post20961803

I spoke to a rep at Optoma, who kind of sucked, but he was saying that he preferred the RF glasses and were saying how much better they were for certain reasons.

These glasses are very expensive, so I want to make the right purchase the first time.

One other thing I need to mention is that I bought a PS3 and Move controllers to play motion games. I plan to play these games in 3D if the game supports it. Due to the fact that you're moving around, would this affect the 3D effect? And would it depend on if you're using the RF or DLP-Link glasses?

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 09-22-2011, 07:06 PM

I will compare both this weekend.
post #3 of 36 Old 09-23-2011, 03:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by krell101 View Post

I will compare both this weekend.

Can't wait to hear your impressions

Found a discussion specific to the GT750E and some glasses here.
post #4 of 36 Old 09-24-2011, 09:26 PM

Quick comparison DLP link and RF. Just watched AVATAR and Tahiti.

DLP link is bulky and the the Optoma RF is more comfortable fits perfectly just like ordinary sunglass or eyeglass.

DLP link is much brighter compare to RF. I switch multiple times and
the RF is somewhat darker making the dark scene darker.

Anyone have the same experience?
post #5 of 36 Old 09-25-2011, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
likely because dlp link is using the white flash, depends on the projector, be interesting to know if gt750 uses red or white flash.

everything I read says dlp link is heavier, although harder to judge from the pictures but you seem to confirm that.

do you have any problems with dlp losing sync in daylight? I read on one thread here that a piece of antistatic bag taped to the dlp lense fixed those problems. rf still seems like the clear winner, but hard to justify if you buy multiple glasses at 80 dollars versus 50 for the ultraclears or 3dtv corp glasses.
post #6 of 36 Old 09-25-2011, 10:26 AM

I have a pair of these. While I probably can't speak much to the quality comments (these are my first), as to the price, I didn't think it was all that different from other choices (I picked mine up at Visual Apex).
post #7 of 36 Old 09-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdenver View Post

I have a pair of these. While I probably can't speak much to the quality comments (these are my first), as to the price, I didn't think it was all that different from other choices (I picked mine up at Visual Apex).

a pair of what? i'm guessing maybe the RF glasses? cheapest I can find RF are about 80 dollars, dlp link are 50-55 bucks.
post #8 of 36 Old 09-25-2011, 12:37 PM

I will be buying more DLP glasses and returning the RF. DLP link is bulky but still comfortable and not bothersome. RF is just light and feel like an ordinary sunglasses.

Picture quality made me decide to keep the DLP specially dark scene like THOR
it is much better than RF. Even without looking at the screen the RF is darker.
I am just wondering why they made the lens darker.
post #9 of 36 Old 09-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

What projector are you testing on?

from seeing the hd33 thread, seems you are testing it on that, problem is that does red dlp link flash and we don't know what the gt750 does. assuming its not red, we would probably have the color tint issues and other things associated with dlp link that are not prevelant with the hd33.
post #10 of 36 Old 09-26-2011, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Any more reviews comparing the two? I haven't made up my mind on which to get and I'd like to hear some more reviews. Thanks.
post #11 of 36 Old 09-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H. View Post

Any more reviews comparing the two? I haven't made up my mind on which to get and I'd like to hear some more reviews. Thanks.

from lots of reading, dlp link issues like rainbows only seem to be a problem on the rear projection tvs, otherwise they seem to work fairly well.

im still leaning towards rf since it comes with the emitter already.
post #12 of 36 Old 09-27-2011, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

But if the consensus is that DLP-Link glasses offer a better picture (for whatever reason) then for me those would be the ones to get. And they're cheaper anyway.
post #13 of 36 Old 09-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H. View Post

But if the consensus is that DLP-Link glasses offer a better picture (for whatever reason) then for me those would be the ones to get. And they're cheaper anyway.

the problem is everyone is testing them with the hd33 which uses red flash sync and I'm pretty sure the gt750 doesn't. that makes a huge difference.
post #14 of 36 Old 09-27-2011, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I guess we still need to wait on more reviews to come in then.
post #15 of 36 Old 09-27-2011, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

or have someone turn on the gt750 and see what color flash its using.
post #16 of 36 Old 10-10-2011, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Any more opinions on which 3D glasses are better (Optoma RF vs DLP-Link)?

I'd like to make a purchase on that soon. Thanks.
post #17 of 36 Old 10-10-2011, 07:17 PM

I bought a GT750 and DLP-Link glasses last week - Blacks looked a bit milky to me. Received the 3D-RF Emitter Starter Kit today and the difference to me is like night and day (Avatar's night forrest looked nice and dark, proper blacks - Tron Legacy didn't look washed out). The GT750 uses white flash in DLP-Link and it shows. I'll be ordering another pair of RF's and my brother can use the DLP-Links on his 3D-XL & HD65
post #18 of 36 Old 10-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

And that says it all, rf for me
post #19 of 36 Old 10-11-2011, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Rob, did you get your projector yet? Let me know what you think of the glasses when you try them out.
post #20 of 36 Old 10-11-2011, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Which DLP-LINK glasses?

I know from experience, they are not all created equal on PQ.

X102's have better PQ than others I have got to look through.
post #21 of 36 Old 11-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

did anyone try the true depth 3d glasses? some peole say they are great, others are saying reflections or something from them.
post #22 of 36 Old 11-05-2011, 11:33 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post

did anyone try the true depth 3d glasses? some peole say they are great, others are saying reflections or something from them.

I have them. They have less back reflection than the Optoma RF's which are glossy plastic all round, and the True Depth's have a matte finish on the back. They also have less reflection because the glasses and lenses are smaller in size so there is less material to cause reflections from.

I much prefer the True Depth over the Optoma RF's, of which I unfortunately bought 4 pair of. The Optoma RF's tend to ghost near the bottom of the lenses especially when you are reclined and looking at them through an angle to the screen.
post #23 of 36 Old 11-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in Houston View Post

I have them. They have less back reflection than the Optoma RF's which are glossy plastic all round, and the True Depth's have a matte finish on the back. They also have less reflection because the glasses and lenses are smaller in size so there is less material to cause reflections from.

I much prefer the True Depth over the Optoma RF's, of which I unfortunately bought 4 pair of. The Optoma RF's tend to ghost near the bottom of the lenses especially when you are reclined and looking at them through an angle to the screen.

hmm, they might be the best bet though, problem is they are out of stock everywhere, do you have the rechargable ones?
post #24 of 36 Old 11-05-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post

hmm, they might be the best bet though, problem is they are out of stock everywhere, do you have the rechargable ones?

Yeah I just noticed that which is weird, I just got my first 2 pair of True Depths last week. I need to order 4 more but like you said, it appears they are sold out or something is up.

Yes I have the rechargeable ones and they are excellent so far. Havent had them very long at all, but the image quality is great.
post #25 of 36 Old 11-05-2011, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 140
My VIP DLP Link glasses seem to work great, but it gets me thinking...is there better? Has anyone compared these vs other brands? I like the thought of the True Depth glasses having a matte finish. If they are that much better, I may buy a pair to compare.

post #26 of 36 Old 11-05-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

My VIP DLP Link glasses seem to work great, but it gets me thinking...is there better? Has anyone compared these vs other brands? I like the thought of the True Depth glasses having a matte finish. If they are that much better, I may buy a pair to compare.

If you do a search on these forums you will find a guy that swears by them. He has tried them all and he thinks they are the best. After I read his review and several others I decided to try them out.

The other good DLP-Link's that review really well are the optoma ZD201's but they arent sold in the U.S....You can find them on Ebay but they are shipped from overseas.
post #27 of 36 Old 11-05-2011, 03:32 PM

The eternal struggle... Optoma 3d rf glasses vs a variety of dlp-link glasses... I have 4 optoma rf glasses on order, and my supplier agreed to take them back if they do indeed suck.... I currently have two pair of cheepy white dlp-link glasses i use with my HD33, and the picture quality is great no issues at all... but I have to say that although the red sync (clearly visible without the glassses) is not visible with the 3d glasses, just knowing it's there kinda bothers me... I'm kind of a purist in that I don't want something messing with the picture on the screen... with the RF I don't think that would happen... I'm hoping that although the rf may be a tad darker, I can always adjust the brightness... (currently brightness is at -12 or something so there is definately room to go up... )

PSN:Waltermixxx
Live:Whitby Wildcat
Shsssshshhhhhhhhh the movie's started....and it's in 3D...
post #28 of 36 Old 11-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

i wish I knew if the 3dtv corp dlp rechargable glasses are the same as the true depth ones, I suspect they probably are, and they are only 53 a piece. and they are available so thats a plus
post #29 of 36 Old 11-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
*Following is my own personal opinion, results may vary to yours*

I had a pair of the Monstervision RF (same as the Optomas) and a pair of the TrueDepth to compare at the same time. My set is a Samsung DLP with the "red tint" dlp-link. I first purchased the Monsters to have something "future proof". Only problem with the RF's and my set is that it didn't block the red tint from the dlp-link signal and it can't be turned off so it didn't work for me.

Build quality
Slight edge to Monstervision as far as better finished seams/edges. Power button on TrueDepth is easy to press while I found the Monster/Optomas power button required more force. My first TrueDepth pair came scratched and some exposed material from under the frame on the front of the lens. Inside, Monster/Optomas frames are shiny while TrueDepth are matte finish. Monster/Optomas have a faint buzz that will be heard on complete silence but no issue with sound going on. I thought the smaller lenses on the TrueDepth was going to be an issue with the frame being on my field of view but it really isn't a problem. I however liked the bigger lenses of the Monster/Optomas. They both weight similarly

Comfort
For comfort, I preferred the Monster/Optomas hands down. They fit like regular sun glasses and the soft rubber nose piece is pretty much perfect. Very easy to wear prescription glasses with since they rest on top of the protruding rubber nose piece nicely, so only the Monster/Optomas is resting on your nose (with my rather small/slim prescription frames). The legs are fairly straight so no pressure anywhere. Only disadvantage is that if they don't fit snug, they may slide off your face if you were to look down or swing your head around (who does that? lol). I wore these glasses with my prescriptions for hours without discomfort. I also use headphones alot.

TrueDepth have curved legs, depending on how snug they fit, there might be slight pressure around back overtime or slightly push your ears out (very annoying to me) or they may fit perfect! They are pretty secured when worn and won't slide off at all. It includes 3 nose pieces but none provide the fitment and comfort of the Monster/Optomas. While the nose pieces are made of rubber, they almost appear hard plastic and don't protrude out, making wearing prescriptions under them not so fun since now you have two pressure points. I find it uncomfortable and have to readjust every so often. Throw headphones on, and long sessions are very annoying for me. Without prescriptions, it's obviously better but still develops a pressure point on your nose after a while due to the hard nose piece (at least to me).

Picture quality
While the Monster/Optomas didn't block the "red tint" they both provided pretty much identical quality on bright scenes. Only dark scenes are tainted with the Monster/Optomas (with my TV) due to the excessive red dlp-link signal. While I always read that dlp-link glasses completely block the tint, yes but not 100%. There's still a trace of it but VERY minimal, hence the illusion of "true blacks". If you look at an angle, it comes thru more (except if looking with glasses minimally tilted down, pretty much all gone).
Brightness is equal. Both have the same hint of Blue/Green tint to the lenses and almost mirror shiny finish. What this finish brings about are reflections. Reflections come from whatever is illuminated behind you. Even in complete darkness, whatever your TVs light output illuminates behind you, will be reflected on both. If your are viewing with a big screen (projector), this won't be an issue as your complete "field of view" (or the whole lenses) are filled with picture and you won't see reflections on either one. One issue that stood out was with prescription glasses, the TrueDepth reflected back my prescreptions as well, while I did NOT see them with the Monster/Optomas. Strange but true.

Link quality
RF of course no issues whatsoever, look/go anywhere and remain locked. TrueDepth, look anywhere but at the TV and after a few seconds looses sync. Look back at TV, wave your hand like a magic wand in front of the sensor and it re-syncs. However they hold up at a good distance as long as you look at the TV. Did a quick "daylight" sync test and it worked, can't say how they hold up. No daylight viewing for me.

Features
Both have "reverse sync" feature but TrueDepth's is BY FAR easier implemented. One press of the power button (after initial power-up) to reverse sync and again to reverse back. Easy! Meanwhile, Monster/Optomas can be further calibrated with the RF's transmitter but out of the box where perfect (yes, I messed with the calibration, no further improvement). Both provided ghost free images.

Final thoughts
Both provide the same excellent picture quality (although I wish they were brighter and color neutral). In the end, I returned the Monstervision because it can't block the red tint. But would be more than happy to pay the additional $10 ($69 shipped for TrueDepth when i purchased them) for the Monster/Optomas for the superior comfort and RF sync if they worked with my set.
post #30 of 36 Old 11-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDholic View Post

Picture quality
While the Monster/Optomas didn't block the "red tint" they both provided pretty much identical quality on bright scenes. Only dark scenes are tainted with the Monster/Optomas (with my TV) due to the excessive red dlp-link signal. While I always read that dlp-link glasses completely block the tint, yes but not 100%. There's still a trace of it but VERY minimal, hence the illusion of "true blacks". If you look at an angle, it comes thru more (except if looking with glasses minimally tilted down, pretty much all gone).
Brightness is equal. Both have the same hint of Blue/Green tint to the lenses and almost mirror shiny finish. What this finish brings about are reflections. Reflections come from whatever is illuminated behind you. Even in complete darkness, whatever your TVs light output illuminates behind you, will be reflected on both. If your are viewing with a big screen (projector), this won't be an issue as your complete "field of view" (or the whole lenses) are filled with picture and you won't see reflections on either one. One issue that stood out was with prescription glasses, the TrueDepth reflected back my prescreptions as well, while I did NOT see them with the Monster/Optomas. Strange but true.

Did you try to block or tune-out the red flash by adjusting Monster's delay and duty cycle ? If this is possible, it allows one to use both RF and DLP-link at the same time.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Technology Bg 3drfglasses 3d Rf Rechargeable Glasses

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page