BL-FS180B lamp in Optoma HD65? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-27-2011, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
In one or two threads people have speculated that the BL-FS180B lamp assembly used in the EP727 et al is the same as the BL-FS180C in the HD65. A few dealers also specify the BL-FS180B as compatible with the HD65. Has anyone been able to confirm this? I ask because the B often sells for much less, even the Optoma-branded one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-27-2011, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Compatible lamps are not OEM they are normally knock offs and do not work as well,last as long or sometime work at all. This is an OEM lamp that is made/sold by optima and is what you want .
http://www.provantage.com/optoma-bl-fs180c~7OPTO0CP.htm

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old 09-27-2011, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I think I didn't make myself sufficiently clear. I understand the difference between lamps labeled "compatible" and genuine OEM. The question is whether the BL-FS180B as made by Optoma will fit in the HD65 (which officially takes the BL-FS180C). Even Optoma's web store sells the former for less than the latter, and Optoma-made BL-FS180B assemblies can be purchased from some reputable dealers for less than the link you gave. While the knee-jerk answer is "no", it has been suggested in this forum that they are in fact the same assemblies, and some descriptions I've seen online of the BL-FS180B say it will work in the HD65.

Since this has been discussed here before I thought maybe someone had actually tried it, or knew for some other reason that it would or would not work.
post #4 of 10 Old 09-27-2011, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr0s View Post

I think I didn't make myself sufficiently clear. I understand the difference between lamps labeled "compatible" and genuine OEM. The question is whether the BL-FS180B as made by Optoma will fit in the HD65 (which officially takes the BL-FS180C). Even Optoma's web store sells the former for less than the latter, and Optoma-made BL-FS180B assemblies can be purchased from some reputable dealers for less than the link you gave. While the knee-jerk answer is "no", it has been suggested in this forum that they are in fact the same assemblies, and some descriptions I've seen online of the BL-FS180B say it will work in the HD65.

Since this has been discussed here before I thought maybe someone had actually tried it, or knew for some other reason that it would or would not work.

I wish I could buy the proper OEM lamp for my projector for $164..

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 Old 09-27-2011, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

I wish I could buy the proper OEM lamp for my projector for $164..

Honestly, I wish you could too. Maybe if OEM lamps were not so expensive across the board, there'd be less incentive for fly-by-night dealers to put out inferior copies.

It isn't that I'm not ready to pay this for a replacement (especially since when I bought the PJ lamps for it were much more), but it is hard to ignore an opportunity to get one much cheaper, if the opportunity is real and not catch-free.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-30-2011, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Update:

I decided (in the absence of other information) to be the guinea pig on this. I bought a BL-FS180B for a ridiculously low $70+$25 S&H; see box in first picture. Definitely genuine Optoma. The new lamp is identical to the old one except for an extra little protective cover over the socket (see second photo; new bulb on right). It fit right into the old position in the projector, started right up, and so far (20 minutes) is working great (except for a bit of a smell that I assume will go away in time).

Bottom line: the BL-FS180B seems to be identical to the BL-FS180C at a lower price, works fine in the HD65.
LL
LL
post #7 of 10 Old 09-10-2013, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you!!!

I'm glad to see someone who isn't spouting wrote nonsense about buying directly from the manufacturer for once. Nobody on this forum seems to get this.

Here's how bulbs works:

You obtain the manufacturer model and name for the original genuine bulb (not oem replacement).
In my case it's shp112 hg and shp69 hg for my hd 70.
You find a place selling the proper housing with that brand bulb in it.
Or better yet, you find a bare bulb and reuse your old housing.

The BL-FS180B vs BL-FS180C and such is the COMPLETE HOUSING model number. NOT the bulb model. Many of these housings are compatible and only have a difference name to distinguish which projector they go in.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-10-2013, 11:09 AM

I can verify that a BL-FS180B fits perfectly into an HD-65 projector. Installed one in my projector this week.

No issues so far. 20+ hours on the new lamp. Had over 2500 hours on the original lamp.

Thanks to the forum for the info. Saved me about $100.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-23-2013, 08:04 PM

200 hours on lamp. No issues. smile.gif
post #10 of 10 Old 12-24-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 294
It's great that you've had such success with your inexpensive replacement.

I think the UHP lamp industry is going to really be set on ear in the next few years. With Epson delivering a 5,000 hour $99 lamp on the 2030 projector, it's the start of what I forsee as the future of UHP lamps. That is, direct competition with LED is going to force lamp pricing down and quality up. Rumors of a 10,000 hour lamp from Epson have been shot my way. I am hopeful that we will just see the pricing fall and quality improve so that the 5,000-10,000 hour lamp life is common with sub $100 replacement costs. Why would anyone in their right mind use a sub 500 lumen LED projector with lousy optics and a higher price tag if the entire UHP industry delivered a better product from the manufacturers?

For what it's worth: The housing should always be replaced with the bulb. Always. A lamp that runs at several hundred degrees sitting next to a cheap reflector is not an ideal situation. The reflector expands and contracts and while it is not enormous, it does warp and bend and lose it's alignment over the 3,000+ hours of usage it is rated for. It is not just the bulb that is rated to the manufacturer's specifications, but the entire lamp assembly. It deteriorates. While some people may feel that this doesn't matter, and is trivial, I'm not going to bet my projector on this, and this is one of the reasons why some of the 'bulb only' replacement options can cause overheating of the projector and scorched optics.

Good choice in getting a solidly cheaper solution with the manufacturer name on it.

Wish more manufacturers would step up with identical lamp assemblies across more of their models with a common part number and a lower price tag. It would make things so much cheaper for them, and consumers more willing to buy their product.

- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Home Theater Series Hd65 Dlp Projector , Optoma Hd65 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector , Optoma Hd65 Plus 720p Dlp Projector With Backpack And Speakers
Gear in this thread - 720p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page