Need Help: Projector suggestions 1500 dollar budget - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-29-2011, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 543
So I know very little about projectors. We are moving a about 6 months give or take to a new place. We have been looking to replace my 56" DLP for a bit and cannot agree on LCD v. Plasma. So we are debating going with a Projector.

The new room is frigging ridiculous (link here). Its 22 x 16 so I have more than enough room for a very decent throw distance to get like a 100" screen.

So I am trying to figure out what make/model I should be looking at for around 1500 bucks, since thats about how much we would spend on an LCD or Plasma in the 55" range. I am pretty sure we can get a decent PJ in that range.

She is under the impression that we wouldnt have as much of a glare problem, which is true, BUT washout is a big problem with some of them as well.

Looking forward to hearing what you guys think.

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-29-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
You need almost complete light control to get a quality picture from a projector, you can use the projector in higher lighting, but the picture won't compare to a TV if you forced into having ambient light.

Otherwise, suggestions in this budget:

Optoma hd33 (3D enabled, DLP tech, good bright picture, not as good black levels). You'd need to check your mounting dimensions.

Mits hc4000 - Best 2D picture under $1500, DLP technology, Rainbows can be an issue (need to check if RBE sensitive). You'd need to check your mounting dimensions.

Epson 3010
Brand new model out that has not yet shipped. So far from what we know there is no lens shift, so like the other 2 projectors, you'd need to check your dimensions for mounting.

Epson 8350 (most flexible for mounting)
Pretty decent image, but not quite as punchy as some of the other options here.

Benq w6000 (fairly flexible for shelf mounting, but harder to ceiling mount, need drop pole usually)
DLP technology, an older version, still a nice image, VERY bright

There is also the Epson 8700ub, but that price approaches a bit higher, but you can get some refurbs of this model for about in your budget range.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 11 Old 09-29-2011, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

You need almost complete light control to get a quality picture from a projector, you can use the projector in higher lighting, but the picture won't compare to a TV if you forced into having ambient light.

That was kinda what I was afraid of. Looking at our floorplan how much of an issue would the ambient light present? The sliding glass door is basically centered on the left side of that room. It would have sliding vertical blinds, and I would get something to help cut down light to an extent, but the wife wants something she can watch with the window open.

Obviously depending on the direction it faces there will be more or less light.

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

post #4 of 11 Old 10-01-2011, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

bump.... anyone else?

My Setup

Quote:

post #5 of 11 Old 10-01-2011, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My opinion is to go with a big flatscreen tv. It sounds like you will be using it for everyday tv watching and have quite a bit of light to contend with which is a projectors biggest problem. I like projectors for more of a dedicated home theater application.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-01-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRLJAMR View Post

My opinion is to go with a big flatscreen tv. It sounds like you will be using it for everyday tv watching and have quite a bit of light to contend with which is a projectors biggest problem. I like projectors for more of a dedicated home theater application.

I love my projector, but I tend to agree here. I would get something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD-...7486537&sr=8-4
post #7 of 11 Old 10-01-2011, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, trying to stay away from DLP TV's. I have a 56 now and its great, but we are not fans of the fact it needs to be 9" from the wall + the 19" deep it is. We would like to reclaim that space a bit and a projector would be one way. Plus from a price per inch perspective, its a winner.

Will keep looking. Got other things to upgrade before I mess with this.....

My Setup

Quote:

post #8 of 11 Old 10-01-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

Yeah, trying to stay away from DLP TV's. I have a 56 now and its great, but we are not fans of the fact it needs to be 9" from the wall + the 19" deep it is. We would like to reclaim that space a bit and a projector would be one way. Plus from a price per inch perspective, its a winner.

Will keep looking. Got other things to upgrade before I mess with this.....

Well I would get the biggest Panny plasma I could get.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-01-2011, 10:07 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

...but the wife wants something she can watch with the window open.

You can't get a projector in that case.

Enjoying Nissan Leaf as the primary car for over 6 months : MyNissanLeaf.com
post #10 of 11 Old 10-01-2011, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Well I would get the biggest Panny plasma I could get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evnow View Post

You can't get a projector in that case.

Hehehe.... just stopped in at Best Buy and it looks like a 60" Panasonic GT20 series Plasma may soon inhabit the place

My Setup

Quote:

post #11 of 11 Old 10-05-2011, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Yeah, don't worry, a nice big plasma is always nice. You can always buy a projector later down the road no worries

Plus now, TV prices are a big low. If you can wait, honestly I think they will be a bit lower since holiday sales are around the corner... Black Friday?

I Love Apple, BenQ, Samsung, and Acer Products = )
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page