1080p vs 720p Projector - Page 2 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which Projector to choose for 10feet Throw distance?
Optoma GT720 - 650$ 1 100.00%
Viewsonic Pro 8200 - 800$ 0 0%
Epson Powerlite 8350 - 1200$ 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I wish more stores had these things set up so we can see them side by side.

I bought the viewsonic pro8200 a month ago on sale from newegg for 650. It is 1080p and looks really nice. Glad I bought it. In fact, I started researching projectors after I bought the unit. A friend recommended I get it because it was usually 799. I was looking to buy a 50 inch hdtv but he said that since I already had 42 inch hdtv to try projector and get 100 inch screen.

Now , I guess I got lucky because the pro8200 is rated pretty good. But I have never seen the 8350 or any of the other projectors, not sure many of us get a chance before purchasing to check them all out. It would have been nice to do that, that is all I'm saying.

Sounds like your projector works for you, and I agree, most movies I watch are not in 1080p, so not sure I needed 1080p, so for many people 720p might be all they use or need. Maybe in the next few years Best Buy and other places will have room where they have projectors so we can see them ourselves and test them out in store.

I'm loving the pro8200 and glad I saved 400-1000 dollars and not bought the more expensive models. In a few years, I can pick up another one if I still like projectors. Have fun with your projector, in a couple of years we both can get 4k projectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey there,

Yeah, we're on the same page, most of the content we are using is 720p, but the Viewsonic 9200 @ 600$ is a STEAL. I read some good things about it, but weaknesses in the Motion area, but nothing is perfect, and I'm sure it satisfies.

The only reason I opted for the Optoma GT720 is for the Ultra short throw, I'm going to get 140" from 7' away. That's incredible throw distance. If they had a Optoma GT1080, I would have gotten that, but screen size was really important to me, and again, if 90% of the content I have was 1080p, I would have gotten a 1080p projector, but since I wanted size, and most of my content is 720p, I opted for the Optoma.

Like you said, in a few years things will change, and I paid 520$ for the Optoma, so it won't HURT when I change it up in a few years for a 1080p (or 4K) projector when Internet speeds are 1gbs, 1080p becomes a standard (we don't even have 1080p TV content), and my eyes beg my wallet for an "upgrade".
Old 02-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

I do like the very short throw distance on the optoma gt720. I just found a review of it and the pro8200 the last hour. Both seem like good gaming consoles. I can't get a 300 inch image with pro8200, you can with your very short throw, excellent for xbox 360 gaming.

review of optoma gt720:
http://www.videoprojectorinfo.com/re...tor-Review.htm

review of viewsonic pro8200:
http://www.videoprojectorinfo.com/re...tor-Review.htm

I did google search for "viewsonic pro8200 motion" and it directed me to that site and saw both reviews.

I orginally bought the pro8200 because I wanted to do split screen xbox 360 games, so your optoma gt720 might have been a better way for me to go, getting huge screen size, I can get about 120 inch no problems, but not 300 inch.

p.s. I checked the "motion" on both reviews and they seem about the same, read the last page of each review where is lists specs and ratings and put in two windows, side by side, so same as your device, from what I can tell. Others said no gaming lag with pro8200, that is important to me. I'm sure your device is same as mine.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, don't stress about details though, a least you have 1080p, and I think overall, the Viewsonic might be "better image quality". But, like I said, I was amazed at the Optoma, completely satisfied with it, the 2500 lumens play a big part.

I won't be doing a 300" screen, but wanted close to 150", and with the other projectors it would need to be like 20' away, which I don't have.

My room is 17' x 12' and there's a beam crossing the room, so I wanted the projector in FRONT of the beam, which means I have the projector at MAX 10' which would have given me about 100" with the others, while getting 140" @ 7' with the Optoma.

Which also means things like WII, and PS MOVE will still be usable in the room, which is a pretty big plus.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

I just read the reviews, yeah, the dinged the Optoma pretty bad, but it's mostly for areas that don't affect image quality or me.

- Short Throw Difficult to setup - one time deal for me, and this is actually a PLUS for me.
- Bad remote - don't care - On/Off once it's setup.
- scratches easily - don't care - won't be moved either
- resolution scaling - not really an issue - going to run it @ 720p
- limited number of ports - Don't care only need 1 HDMI

Final Review score isn't always indicative of what's better overall, since FEATURES are often compared, and sometimes those don't matter.

So you could end up with a 5.0 vs a 7.0 that actually performs better, but doesn't have "standard" features.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

I totally agree, don't go by the scores. I think that site is screwy anyway. I just found it an hour ago. I didn't know anything about your optoma gt720 so I watched utube video reviews of it and I liked what I saw.

I like other review sites better, that site didn't have the 8350 or lots of ones we are talking about on this site.

The stuff that matters, your unit seems really good and at a fantastic price. The last week I was looking at short throw projectors, so when you said short throw, figured I would look into it.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, really, I looked EVERYWHERE for something that could be capable enough for Home Theater and Gaming, and it's really the ONLY projector that came close to doing what I wanted.

It seems Ultra short throw isn't really that popular for some reason.. it's more for classrooms, and boardroom projectors. Most of the ones I found were low lumens, meant for presentations, and low resolution.

Like I said, I'm waiting for the day a good short throw 1080p projector comes out, and I will probably jump on it, once it drops in price of course

There's a market for it, Optoma should release one. No competition either.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

I agree 100 percent. I too was looking for 1080p short throw projector and couldn't find any I liked in 500-700 price range. We are on same page. With short throw I can get very bright huge picture having the projector just a few feet away. The average throw you have to be farther away and picture is not as bright, and you have to have room big enough to get huge picture.
I want 300 inch in small/medium room that is bright and 1080p for 500-700 dollars, is that asking for too much! maybe? so what? I want it and I want it now.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:51 PM

Liked: 10
For me it's a big different I had optoma 750gt for a week and then optoma h33 1080p, even 720p material looked better on h33 more colors, sharper, better blacks, so it's not only sharpness it's about quality . 1080p the best and only choice for me
Old 02-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

I guess as I was saying earlier in thread, it would be nice if best buy and other places had these things on the floor and we can see the difference. It's hard to tell by pro reviews and even user reviews which would be better for my needs. Seeing is believing in projectors.

Although I did buy a very good 1080p projector, I bought it sight unseen and I would have liked to compare them in a room somewhere. I like the idea of short throw 1080p for gaming in split screen on 300 inch wall. The best I can get is 120 inch because of the room size, about 9 feet back from wall.

The optoma hd33 is a very nice unit, but it's 1,400 dollars. I could have bought 2 pro8200 and still have money for screens and popcorn. You got a very cool 3D projector.

I don't think it's fair to compare his optoma gt 720 with your optoma hd33. Your unit is a couple of classes up. But I guess you were just saying there is a difference between his and your model. Yeah, you bet. We should both come to your house on Superbowl sunday and watch it with 3D glasses on in 1080p !
Old 02-01-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I can do a 180" to 200" screen on it with no problems in lamp high on a new lamp and still get over 10 fL, it is 1600 lumens new OOTB in standard mode in lamp high.
I guess you mean because of throw distance?

You can use a mirror to increase throw.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Old 02-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, the gaming room is limited for space maybe 9-10 feet from wall, so probably around 100-120 inch screen with the pro8200. That is why I was thinking short throw 1080p projector where hopefully I could get 300 inch screen 9-10 feet away. Mostly for split screen xbox 360 gaming. For movies/sports/movies and single player gaming 120 inch is plenty good.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Just an update, there's another highly praised 720p Short Throw projector that was released late last year, and this one actually has SOME zoom... which is something I would have killed for.

Basically means you can setup your max (if you're someone like me, who has a bulkhead which limits my vertical screen size) for 16:9, and then zoom when watching 2.35:1.

It's the BENQ W710ST, and I would sell my Optoma GT720 to get this smile.gif.

More useful features, although I'm super happy with the quality of the Optoma, I'd love a zoom.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by master0068 View Post

Just an update, there's another highly praised 720p Short Throw projector that was released late last year, and this one actually has SOME zoom... which is something I would have killed for.
Basically means you can setup your max (if you're someone like me, who has a bulkhead which limits my vertical screen size) for 16:9, and then zoom when watching 2.35:1.
It's the BENQ W710ST, and I would sell my Optoma GT720 to get this smile.gif.
More useful features, although I'm super happy with the quality of the Optoma, I'd love a zoom.

LOL, I was just about to post about the BenQ W710ST and seen your post.

I've owned both the GT720 (and later a GT750) and the BenQ W710ST. Without a doubt, the BenQ W710ST blows the GT away. Pretty much everything about the BenQ is superior than the GT. From the picture quality, on-screen features, dual HDMI connectors, remote, build quality, you name it. One of the best things I like about the BenQ is the remote. It's a real, decent size remote that lights up, unlike the small un-lit buttons on the GT720. At least with the GT750 the remote had back lit buttons, but it was still small.

There's not much zoom on the BenQ, but it does have better keystone features. Out the box, it's pretty much all set to go with little adjustments needed. As far as picture quality, I will say that the colors are much richer than my Epson 8100 and quite honestly, rival the 1080p projector when it comes to color - except for one down side - terrible rainbow effect. I think the BenQ's RBE is worse that the Optoma, but I could be wrong (they might be the same, but I no longer have the Optoma PJ's).

When viewing 1920 x 1080 with the BenQ, it's tolerable to say the least. Some of the small words (like for the desktop icons) are kind of fuzzy, but readable. With the GT720, it was far too blurry to read (but I could have had a bad unit. It was a refurb from Ebay and it broke down after 4 months - spots all over the screen - bad DMD chip). Oh yeah, the 16:9 native is so much better than 16:10 of the Optoma. I never need to adjust my screen when switching between the Epson 8100 and the W710ST.

One gripe I do have with the short throw PJ is that my screen isn't sitting flush with the wall, so there are some "waves" in the screen. This isn't noticeable with the 1080P Epson sitting 22 feet back, but with the BenQ sitting about 8 to 9 feet from the screen, the waviness is very apparent, especially when watching a movie and something on screen has straight lines. When this object is moving, it appears as ripples, but this isn't really the fault of the projector. Right now I'm using a 150" Elite screen and I love it, but I'm thinking about painting the wall behind this screen using some gray screen paint I bought last year. It'll probably be about 120", but at least it won't have the ripple effect.

Anyhow, I'll stop singing praises about the W710ST. I've noticed that not many people care about the 720p 3D projectors, especially if it's not an Acer H5360 or Optoma HD66. I'm sure those are fine for long throw, but if you need a short throw, look no further than this sleeper (W710ST). I couldn't be happier with this purchase.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopLord View Post

LOL, I was just about to post about the BenQ W710ST and seen your post.
I've owned both the GT720 (and later a GT750) and the BenQ W710ST. Without a doubt, the BenQ W710ST blows the GT away. Pretty much everything about the BenQ is superior than the GT. From the picture quality, on-screen features, dual HDMI connectors, remote, build quality, you name it. One of the best things I like about the BenQ is the remote. It's a real, decent size remote that lights up, unlike the small un-lit buttons on the GT720. At least with the GT750 the remote had back lit buttons, but it was still small.
There's not much zoom on the BenQ, but it does have better keystone features. Out the box, it's pretty much all set to go with little adjustments needed. As far as picture quality, I will say that the colors are much richer than my Epson 8100 and quite honestly, rival the 1080p projector when it comes to color - except for one down side - terrible rainbow effect. I think the BenQ's RBE is worse that the Optoma, but I could be wrong (they might be the same, but I no longer have the Optoma PJ's).
When viewing 1920 x 1080 with the BenQ, it's tolerable to say the least. Some of the small words (like for the desktop icons) are kind of fuzzy, but readable. With the GT720, it was far too blurry to read (but I could have had a bad unit. It was a refurb from Ebay and it broke down after 4 months - spots all over the screen - bad DMD chip). Oh yeah, the 16:9 native is so much better than 16:10 of the Optoma. I never need to adjust my screen when switching between the Epson 8100 and the W710ST.
One gripe I do have with the short throw PJ is that my screen isn't sitting flush with the wall, so there are some "waves" in the screen. This isn't noticeable with the 1080P Epson sitting 22 feet back, but with the BenQ sitting about 8 to 9 feet from the screen, the waviness is very apparent, especially when watching a movie and something on screen has straight lines. When this object is moving, it appears as ripples, but this isn't really the fault of the projector. Right now I'm using a 150" Elite screen and I love it, but I'm thinking about painting the wall behind this screen using some gray screen paint I bought last year. It'll probably be about 120", but at least it won't have the ripple effect.
Anyhow, I'll stop singing praises about the W710ST. I've noticed that not many people care about the 720p 3D projectors, especially if it's not an Acer H5360 or Optoma HD66. I'm sure those are fine for long throw, but if you need a short throw, look no further than this sleeper (W710ST). I couldn't be happier with this purchase.

I hate you. You just made me regret my puchase even more!

But what's done is done, and I know I can/should get this projector if I sell mine. I'm just waiting for a 1080p Short Throw projector, I realize, that they aren't likely to come out, but one manufacturer will do it, and they'll have the monopoly.

I'd pay 1000$ for a Short Throw 1080p projector from BenQ (with 1.10x zoom) smile.gif.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
the w700 is the long throw version
http://www.benq.us/product/projector/w700/

(fifth element)
Old 06-30-2012, 10:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 160
The w710 is one of the better 720p projectors to hit the streets since 1080p became the norm. It has many features that are only found on more expensive units (like an IRIS).

It does however only have a 3x color wheel, if it had 4x or higher, I would have bought one myself just for 3D gaming, but too bad, so sad for us RBE challenged folks. However, I have not yet seen a recently released 720p projector with a 4x color wheel in the budget 3D or budget gaming segment (too bad). The lower-end Optomas also only have 3x wheels AFIK.

This is why I am probably forced to go 1080p for my next DLP 3D projector.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....