post #31 of 51 Old 10-16-2011, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis_bickle View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfjjpbLJRy4

Not really objective or anything, but I gather that the noise sounds about the same as the Optoma and the K330?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 10-16-2011, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis_bickle View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfjjpbLJRy4

The Blair Witch Project?
post #33 of 51 Old 10-28-2011, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb35derR84g

Fellow German speakers! What was generally said and who won?

But from my novice eyes, I think the Acer has the better contrast level.
post #34 of 51 Old 10-28-2011, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

is that poor nec usin any keystone......

(fifth element)
post #35 of 51 Old 10-28-2011, 11:26 PM

Another adhoc set up and review by the same guys. How can they fairly compare them out of the box and uncalibrated. You'd think it'd would look lil more professional, it's not their first review. Just as crappy as the others they post.
It's so annoying to having to watch the video with it moving all over the place. It would also be nice to see both screens entirely the whole time. Seriously, they need a tripod and a real video recorder.

One thing I noticed, with two projectors both running at the same time in what seems to be a small echoey office room, the fans were not overwhelming the narrator.

Everytime I see a review by these guys it's good for a lil chuckle as I remember a post by graafisk about the response he received from a rep concerning the aspect ratio problem of the LG HW300Y and the way 16:9 sources were stretched to 16:10 for sources over HDMI.
____________________________________________________________ ___
"They told me that there was nothing wrong with the beamer because the specs said the resolution is 1280x800 and that is was logical that the beamer mapped all video formats to this resolution. I told them that because of this the video gets stretched verticaly... they said "what's wrong with that?"... i said "it's ugly!"... then they said "well, that's a matter of taste"... seriously?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOL
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post20888708
yah, might be a good idea to avoid these guys.
post #36 of 51 Old 10-29-2011, 02:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Anyone found any written reviews?
post #37 of 51 Old 11-03-2011, 10:12 AM

I haven't found any reviews yet, which is a drag. Our office just purchased one of these, mainly because the specs made it sound like we could run a PowerPoint presentation on the projector using a USB stick just like it would run on a laptop (i.e. animations will work), rather than having to convert the presentation to static slides. Well, I've just plugged this thing in, read through the user manual, and am not too thrilled initially.

Please note: I'm not a techie. Just someone who needs to use this projector in an office setting, the purpose for which it was made.

I know the projector is only 500 lumens, but it is not very bright at all. It is a sunny day here in NY, so we pulled the blinds down, but the image in our small conference is still washed out. It is better when the projector is very close to the wall, but it's a little annoying. Adjusting brightness and contrast made very little improvement in image readability.

I transferred two PP presentations (ppt and pptx) to a USB stick, along with a 3MB WMV file. The WMV file would not play; projector said "unsupported format" which is odd because the manual says WMV files up to 2G should work. Both PP presentations were visible, and opening them and clicking through with the remote was easy, but animations did not work. I'm wondering if I have to actually transfer the files to the internal memory in order to gain full functionality? That's tedious, but not a dealbreaker. This thing is so light and tiny that bringing it to my desk to connect to the computer with a USB cable is not such a hardship.

I'll keep playing with it. If I can get the PP to work as it should, and figure out the video capability, the low lumens may be something we can deal with. Not having to lug around a laptop AND a projector would be fantastic.
post #38 of 51 Old 11-11-2011, 09:06 AM

Liked: 12
I'm still in the hunt for a cheap LED PJ to use in my theater until the prices on the 1080p LED / Laser models drop under $3K. Seeing that the price of the NEC was quite a bit higher than the other clones, I had a very small degree of hope that maybe NEC was selecting better or higher quality parts for their unit. To see if this panned out, I purchased one online from a retailer with the intention of sending it back if the performance was similar to the other clones. Unfortunately the best retailer I found only allows 2 hours of usage before charging a restocking fee, so I didn't get to audition the NEC for very long.

Yesterday I received the NEC NP-L50W and run some very quick tests. Recently I've had the Vivitek Qumi and the Optoma ML500 in the same room. The quick summary is that the performance of the NEC is very, very similar to the Optoma. This isn't a surprise given that they are clones. The NEC had better CA compared to the Optoma, but this could be just standard unit to unit variations. Without seeing a range of units I can't be sure, but it doesn't appear that NEC is using different or significantly better parts.

The difference in CA meant that text in applications like Windows Media Center was sharper on the NEC, but I think that the Optoma I had was defective. It had a massive amount of green fringing on the bottom of white text. Besides the CA, there were small differences in color and the available menu options. I'm sure that using the service menu one could get the colors to be the same, though.

Given what I saw I'm sending back the NEC, since I didn't really see anything that justified the price difference over the Optoma or Acer.
post #39 of 51 Old 11-11-2011, 09:12 AM

Given the limited time I didn't take too many pictures of the PJ in action, but I will share what I have.

First up I have a two captures of a cross hatch pattern taken from the center of the screen, to show the CA on this particular unit.

Next up is a shot from POTC II, which I have used as a reference of comparision between the LED PJs I've seen:

Finally is a comparision of all 3 LED PJs showing a close-up of that scene. From the left, we have the Qumi, the Optoma ML500, and then the NEC NP-L50W:

post #40 of 51 Old 12-27-2011, 01:08 AM

RenStimpy, what's the name of this movies ? plz thx.
post #41 of 51 Old 12-27-2011, 07:31 AM

The movie clips above?? I believe he mentioned it was from Pirates of the Caribbean 2...
post #42 of 51 Old 01-09-2012, 06:43 AM

Is anyone able to do further tests?
post #43 of 51 Old 01-25-2012, 11:28 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by andysm View Post

That article from 2007 appears to be explaining wobulation:

"With SmoothPicture, the actuator optically displaces the DMD image horizontally, coordinated with the display of two separate subframes of data on the DMD"

"Referring to Figure 4, each incoming video frame is parsed into the two separate subframes, one subframe containing all of the odd image pixels, the other containing all of the even pixels. The 16ms video field time is subdivided into two 8ms subfield times. During the first subfield time, the odd subframe data is displayed. At the beginning of the second subfield time, the actuator horizontally shifts the DMD image by ½ pixel, and the even subframe data is displayed. The resulting onscreen image contains all of the pixels in the original image frame, and is constructed within one 60Hz video field time."

I don't think this recent 1280 x 800 DMD device uses wobulation.

what is wobulation?
post #44 of 51 Old 09-09-2012, 05:15 AM

Living between the Nec L50W and Acer K330.In the us the price is the same.Even the nec is also about 20 euros cheaper.For that you would have the same price?
Can also hone in on the projection distance 4 m the nec?The manufacturer gives a maximum of only 3 m.This projector and how it holds anyone happy?It is noisy, or is it acceptable?Who owns let write. thank you.
I'm sorry, but I don't know English.Translated to translátor.

..............If someone have this projector when doing so(Nec L50W)?Whether it is a good image quality even at a distance such as on the photo(3.8m)?And whether it can sharpen and when such a distance?Thank You Very Much............................

post #45 of 51 Old 09-15-2012, 09:30 AM

One of the readers of this forum does not own nec l50w?Whether it can handle the amount of distance 4 m?
I can't decide between acer k330 and nec l50w .Which of these two would you rather we recommend?Because little information about nec projector I still undecided for acer.

I don't like when I have to write a 2 x in a row.So, I apologize.

It is the only translated into English.I don't know whether you know the answer, or you don't understand my questions.

post #46 of 51 Old 09-17-2012, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 28
Can you get an LG PA70G for close to the same price as the 500 lumen clone projectors? It puts out a bit more light and has less fan noise due to its size, which will help for such a large screen. Its throw ratio is similar to the clones, and yes, you can put it back ~4 m from the screen, which is roughly 12 ft, and gives a ~120" diagonal 16:9 image.
post #47 of 51 Old 09-17-2012, 09:03 AM

PA70G LG-516€.
Acer k330-454€ .
Nec l50w-395€.
Please pay in addition and buy LG?

post #48 of 51 Old 09-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 28
The LG PA70G is a good step ahead of the other two IMO. If you're really on a budget then I suppose the L50W would do ok.
post #49 of 51 Old 09-18-2012, 11:27 PM

Thank you for the feedback.Still my mind and then I'll let you know for that I decided to.

post #50 of 51 Old 11-30-2012, 06:14 AM

So in the end I decided to wait a bit and pay outstanding on the lg pa70g.Meanwhile, some became.With an me it comes out 547 euros.So about half a monthly salary.In Slovakia do not earn a lot.
RPS13Thank you very much for the advice and I therefore ordered lg pa70g.I hope that I will be satisfied.3.12.2012 should arrive on Monday.
Written by inTranslator.

post #51 of 51 Old 11-07-2013, 11:51 PM

I have one of these projectors and I have experienced a burn out on the blue LED after only 2,700 hours. I live in Japan and the Japanese warranty is only good for 1 year. Since I bought it 1 year and 5 months ago, I'm out of luck. Out of warranty repair seems futile. I would have to send them my unit, wait for the repair estimate, then if I feel it is too expensive, I'd still have to pay a $50 fee just to get it back. I was told the repair could cost up to $500 depending on what is wrong. I might as well buy a new projector, but there is no way I will buy another NEC LED based DLP.

This could seem like a bit of bad luck, considering the 20,000 hour life estimate, but it actually seems to be a design flaw. The red and green LEDs both have fan cooled heat sinks attached to the back of the LED circuit boards, the blue LED, however, has a much lower quality heat sink with smaller surface area and fatter fins and no fan access. I would not be surprised if every unit failed far short of the 20,000 hour mark. I paid a premium price for what I though would be a premium product with many years of use, but have ended up with something that is far sub-standard. It is MUCH dimmer than a regular bulb based projector and lasted a similar number of hours, but has a MUCH higher maintenance cost.

Now I'm searching for replacement LEDs so I can repair it myself, but the search is not going well.

If you have an operating one of these and you're out of warranty, I recommend immediately opening it and installing a small fan blowing onto the blue LED heat sink. If you haven't bought one, but are considering it, keep searching. This projector isn't worth the trouble.

I will post some pictures on the internet soon. Google it in the near future to see exactly what design flaws I'm speaking of.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Nec , Nec Computers , Nec Display Solutions

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page