HDMI cable issue? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-09-2011, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to diagnose a problem I am having sending an HDMI signal from my Win7 HTPC to my Sony VPL HS51.

This setup has been working for the past half year, but I recently took it apart to do some home renovations. Now that I am putting my theatre back together, my projector stopped receiving a signal.

The setup works perfectly with a 6FT HDMI cable. When I run a 50FT HDMI cable, there is a signal and I can see, the flash screen, the microsoft status bar come on, but when the login screen is supposed to come on, the projector loses the signal.

I ran the HTPC in Windows Safe Mode and was able to receive a signal with the 50FT cable. This makes me believe that I should be adjusting the resolution or refresh rate, but I am still having the issue.

I have already tried replacing the 50FT HDMI cable, but same issue arose.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Dan Rubin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-09-2011, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrubin View Post

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to diagnose a problem I am having sending an HDMI signal from my Win7 HTPC to my Sony VPL HS51.

This setup has been working for the past half year, but I recently took it apart to do some home renovations. Now that I am putting my theatre back together, my projector stopped receiving a signal.

The setup works perfectly with a 6FT HDMI cable. When I run a 50FT HDMI cable, there is a signal and I can see, the flash screen, the microsoft status bar come on, but when the login screen is supposed to come on, the projector loses the signal.

I ran the HTPC in Windows Safe Mode and was able to receive a signal with the 50FT cable. This makes me believe that I should be adjusting the resolution or refresh rate, but I am still having the issue.

I have already tried replacing the 50FT HDMI cable, but same issue arose.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Dan Rubin

Sounds like a driver issue to me, when in safe mode Windows defaults to just a generic drive, this would explain why you get a video source from there.

With Windows automatic updates it may have grabbed a new drive for your card without you being aware.

You have a couple options. You can do a system recovery from before the point this was a problem, granted you have system recovery turned on.

Second you can go to the video card manufactures website and grab an older driver and see if this changes things.

You can see the splash screen because this is all preprocessing done before Windows applies all the drivers. So it is just using a generic driver.

Marantz AV8801 / Rotel 2x RMB-1095 / RMB-1090 / Yamaha P7000S / Velodyne SMS-1 / DTech BP2000TL / DTech C/L/R 3000 / 4x - DTech BPVX/P Surrounds / DTech SM55 Heights / DTech SM65 Wides / SVS PB13 Ultra / 2x Buttkicker LFE / PTAE-8000U / Globalcache, iRule & Insteon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-09-2011, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
choose a 720 or 1080i rate and see if your problem goes away... 50 feet is "border line" for 1080p 60hz signal.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-09-2011, 02:22 PM

Liked: 53
This is not a driver issue. If it works at 6 ft and not at 50 ft it is a signal issue plain and simple. You need to use a signal restorer on your cable or get an HDMI balun. You could also use a better quality cable which would probably work at 1080P but you are pushing the limits. If you ever want to go to 4K2K or 3D it won't work and you'd be better off using a balun.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-09-2011, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your suggestions so far. I believe this could be a driver issue. I was able to plug the same cable into an old dell monitor and it sent a signal over. Sony VPL-HS51 did not work under this setup.

I uninstalled the Intel HD Graphics driver and was able to send a signal to my Sony VPL HS51 (720p signal).

Unfortunately, the default graphics driver only supports 800x600 resolution. I have yet to go rollback enough with an Intel HD Graphics Driver to get a higher resolution. I am currently using Driver Version: 8.15.10.2086.

Any suggestions?

Keep in mind, the setup works just fine when using a 6FT HDMI cable. I am trying to get the setup working with a 50FT HDMI cable again.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-09-2011, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
are you still in safe mode when doing these adjustments?

Current Projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #7 of 10 Old 10-09-2011, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

are you still in safe mode when doing these adjustments?

No. This is with the Intel HD Graphics driver uninstalled or rolled back.

D
post #8 of 10 Old 10-10-2011, 10:38 AM

Liked: 53
If it works at 6ft and not at 50ft it is the cable not handling the bandwidth. We diagnose this stuff all the time. If it doesn' t work at 6 ft that is the time to try other solutions. You need to get something that can carry the signal 50ft. You'll be spinning your wheels otherwise.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-10-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 64
You haven't stated which brand you're using on that 6ft and the 50ft that doesn't work. With that sd, go with a reputable brand that is also wallet friendly Wirelogic. Costco carries their hdmi packages but not all sizes. For 50ft you'll have to search places like amazon which a friend of mine got 50ft for his 8350 I believe under $100 which is very reasonable for that length and quality. Their sister/parent co is Audioquest so they're no poser.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-10-2011, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I am gonna have to try a better quality longer cable. I'll post when I have everything working again.

D
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page