All this loud iris talk had me nervous. I bought my projector at Best Buy and have about 11 days to take it back for a full refund, so even though my media area in the basement is not finished, I set it up tonight in my living room on the floor. Now I am coming from a Mitsubishi HC4900 which had a very sharp picture and very good color out of the box, but it just had okay black level. The 4900 was also silent but I did occasionally notice the Iris turning on or off via the picture (could rarely hear it though and the projector was shelf mounted directly behind me).
My living room is not ideal. Darker walls, white ceiling, but I did not have a screen and just projected the 3010 right on the wall. Here are my thoughts projecting on a roughly 115" diagonal space from about 13' back:
- Wow this thing is bright! Even on default eco mode, it has a very bright image. But definitely not too bright for me. In fact, I switched the color mode to cinema and the lamp mode from eco to normal.
- Popped in Iron Man 2 and made some adjustments. Flesh tones were a little on the red side but that was an easy fix. I went into the advanced settings for sharpness and I also adjusted contrast. This projector is plenty sharp enough and does have a very solid film like image.
- I popped in Iron Man 2 which has some grain and was happy to find the grain intact and a very vibrant film like image, which is what I prefer. Not real big on smoothening/digital noise reduction and was very pleased with the picture.
- Blacks are nice and black. Big step up from the Mitsubishi. I thought the picture was every bit as vibrant and sharp as the Mitsubishi.
- Threw in Rio on Blu-Ray, and the projector has a nice pop and good color accuracy which is very important to me.
- Now for the Iris. I have to say I barely heard it one time and I was playing both Iron Man 2 and Rio for a good 20 mins each with the sound either turned very low or off. The one time I heard the Iris it made a low rumbling sound exactly as I had heard on the Epson 8700 when I spent considerable time with it. Keep in mind I was also sitting directly next to the projector on the floor. So with this projector mounted on my ceilaing several feet above and away from me, I cannot imagine the Iris being an issue for me. Even on scenes with no sound. And unlike my Mitsubishi, you cannot really notice when the Iris engages on the screen. My Sony Blu-Ray player (370) was louder than the 3010.
- I cannot report on 3D as my PS3 is dead, and my other 3 Blu-Ray players are 2D only. But I did order the Panasonic 210 tonight from Amazon and it will be here Tuesday, so I will test out 3D.
- I am not really a gamer much anymore, so cannot report on lag.
I really must say this is a great projector for the money. I will test 3D before the return period is up, but I am very happy with my purchase. For those of you that have a loud Iris, I would return it and get another one. Mine is not loud at all and not noticeable even with the sound off.
Considering this thing is projecting on my greenish/tan wall, I was very impressed with the picture quality. This projector is a keeper.