My Epson 3010 projector just arrived! - Page 14 - AVS Forum
First ... 12  13  14 15  16  ... Last
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > My Epson 3010 projector just arrived!
dave1969's Avatar dave1969 05:45 AM 10-29-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentfox View Post

Finally decided on these ceiling mount parts:

Chief RPA-U
Chief CMA395W

Extension pipe still TBD, perhaps can use threaded PVC pipe?

i wouldnt use pvc. the threads on the connectors can snap if the PJ is bumped hard enough. Use rigid steel electrical conduit

dave1969's Avatar dave1969 06:07 AM 10-29-2011
does anyone know if these will work with the 3010? Sony TDG-BR250/B Rechargeable 3D Adult Glasses. They are only $36.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-TDG-BR250.../ref=pd_cp_e_3
ack_bk's Avatar ack_bk 06:46 AM 10-29-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1969 View Post

does anyone know if these will work with the 3010? Sony TDG-BR250/B Rechargeable 3D Adult Glasses. They are only $36.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-TDG-BR250.../ref=pd_cp_e_3

Good question. I watched a video from CEDIA and the Epson rep stated that you could use other active shutter IR glasses. So in theory they should work, but I don't know if there will be any issues. You could always get a pair, try them out, and let us know. I think I am going to get a pair of the new Panasonic 3rd gen glasses if they are ever in stock anywhere again.
ack_bk's Avatar ack_bk 07:25 AM 10-29-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Good question. I watched a video from CEDIA and the Epson rep stated that you could use other active shutter IR glasses. So in theory they should work, but I don't know if there will be any issues. You could always get a pair, try them out, and let us know. I think I am going to get a pair of the new Panasonic 3rd gen glasses if they are ever in stock anywhere again.

I found a post from a 3010 owner on the Xpand forums stating he was having a problem making the Xpand X103 universal glasses work right. It is a little frustrating that Epson released this projector and you cannot buy more Epson glasses.
defiancecp's Avatar defiancecp 09:23 AM 10-29-2011
True, but you can definitely buy the panasonic glasses, and you could also buy monster vision.

The IR is a new "universal" (they hope ) standard called m-3di. Sony, Panasonic, Epson, and Xpand all signed on to the standard, so at some point their glasses should all support the standard. However, older models that existed before they signed on to the standard? who knows.

As far as I know the panasonics are the only m-3di glasses publically available right now, but I don't know either way about the sony's (no idea when those were released).
falafala's Avatar falafala 10:29 AM 10-29-2011
Posted an update

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post21140400

a few Q's for 3010 owners:

1) do you hear the intermittent IRIS (sounds like loud harddrive or paper crackling)

2) what is it doing exactly ? I cant tell if image improved by enabling it

3) did you notice color not converge in the white lines of the test pattern ?
ack_bk's Avatar ack_bk 12:36 AM 10-30-2011
All this loud iris talk had me nervous. I bought my projector at Best Buy and have about 11 days to take it back for a full refund, so even though my media area in the basement is not finished, I set it up tonight in my living room on the floor. Now I am coming from a Mitsubishi HC4900 which had a very sharp picture and very good color out of the box, but it just had okay black level. The 4900 was also silent but I did occasionally notice the Iris turning on or off via the picture (could rarely hear it though and the projector was shelf mounted directly behind me).

My living room is not ideal. Darker walls, white ceiling, but I did not have a screen and just projected the 3010 right on the wall. Here are my thoughts projecting on a roughly 115" diagonal space from about 13' back:
- Wow this thing is bright! Even on default eco mode, it has a very bright image. But definitely not too bright for me. In fact, I switched the color mode to cinema and the lamp mode from eco to normal.
- Popped in Iron Man 2 and made some adjustments. Flesh tones were a little on the red side but that was an easy fix. I went into the advanced settings for sharpness and I also adjusted contrast. This projector is plenty sharp enough and does have a very solid film like image.
- I popped in Iron Man 2 which has some grain and was happy to find the grain intact and a very vibrant film like image, which is what I prefer. Not real big on smoothening/digital noise reduction and was very pleased with the picture.
- Blacks are nice and black. Big step up from the Mitsubishi. I thought the picture was every bit as vibrant and sharp as the Mitsubishi.
- Threw in Rio on Blu-Ray, and the projector has a nice pop and good color accuracy which is very important to me.
- Now for the Iris. I have to say I barely heard it one time and I was playing both Iron Man 2 and Rio for a good 20 mins each with the sound either turned very low or off. The one time I heard the Iris it made a low rumbling sound exactly as I had heard on the Epson 8700 when I spent considerable time with it. Keep in mind I was also sitting directly next to the projector on the floor. So with this projector mounted on my ceilaing several feet above and away from me, I cannot imagine the Iris being an issue for me. Even on scenes with no sound. And unlike my Mitsubishi, you cannot really notice when the Iris engages on the screen. My Sony Blu-Ray player (370) was louder than the 3010.
- I cannot report on 3D as my PS3 is dead, and my other 3 Blu-Ray players are 2D only. But I did order the Panasonic 210 tonight from Amazon and it will be here Tuesday, so I will test out 3D.
- I am not really a gamer much anymore, so cannot report on lag.

I really must say this is a great projector for the money. I will test 3D before the return period is up, but I am very happy with my purchase. For those of you that have a loud Iris, I would return it and get another one. Mine is not loud at all and not noticeable even with the sound off.

Considering this thing is projecting on my greenish/tan wall, I was very impressed with the picture quality. This projector is a keeper.
vincentfox's Avatar vincentfox 12:59 AM 10-30-2011
1) I do not notice the iris sound at all, unless I am looking for it. I initially ran in AUTO but have used the other presets for hours at a time and not noticed it then either. I'm a bit of a "silent PC" fanatic and always build my own PC's with the goal of quiet operation. The sound of the iris when I do look for it, is quite soft, less than my PC chassis fan. However the PC is constant, making it easier to block out.

2) Dunno

3) What test pattern? The stuff at the "input lag site"?

I tried the input lag clock thing by the way, but my iPhone isn't quite up to the photography needed. I get the small fast-moving digits as a mess. I can see pretty well in one frame though the panel at 53.967 and my Dell LCD at 54.0?? so at the minimum there's 33 ms lag. I've turned off noise filtering by the way.

I projected some 2D tonight at home for family at about 120" diagonal and we're still impressed. I am projecting on white walls in a living area so less than ideal and this is my first home projector so take that for the n00b opinion it is. I think the 3010 is targetted for n00bs like me and I'm really liking it. My 3-year old is completely enamored of the idea of being able to watch Dinosaur Train "on the wall". I haven't attempted calibration or tweaking will do that after my mounts arrive and I've done with mounting and cabling. Frankly unless the 5010 review arrives early and says it can make 1st class Irish Coffee on top of being twice better, I'm sticking right here.

Installed a BluRay drive in the PC tonight also, will be looking forward to trying some 1080p and 3D before too long. Any recommends on movies that are in the Netflix catalog?
vincentfox's Avatar vincentfox 01:30 AM 10-30-2011
Oh footnote, I put the 3010 on my Kill-a-Watt device.

Standby: 0 Watts (not zero, but below resolution of device)
Auto mode on a desktop screen: 230 Watts
Dynamic mode a desktop screen: 325 Watts

So for about the power consumption of a 65" LCD you can have something larger. And it's far less power than the larger plasma screens.
dave1969's Avatar dave1969 05:55 AM 10-30-2011
does anyone notice how short the fan runs after turning off the pj. mine runs for a few seconds. My old panny would run for like 10-15 secs.
MississippiMan's Avatar MississippiMan 09:21 AM 10-30-2011
Quote:

i wouldnt use pvc. the threads on the connectors can snap if the PJ is bumped hard enough. Use rigid steel electrical conduit

I've used Schedule 40 PVC Pipe and Threaded Couplings many times, with PJ's weighing up to 40 lbs and drops up to 36".

Properly assembled, it would take not a "hard" bump...but a terrific slam or or ceiling collapse to break the PVC pipe or break and Coupling at the Threaded Union.. This is highly unlikely to happen once the PJ is mounted, and if it did there would be more to be worried about than the PJ falling down.

Like breaking the neck of whoever hit the assembly with a 16lb Sledge Hammer
ack_bk's Avatar ack_bk 10:02 AM 10-30-2011
Quote:

does anyone notice how short the fan runs after turning off the pj. mine runs for a few seconds. My old panny would run for like 10-15 secs.

Unless mine was running uber silent I only noticed it for a few seconds as well. My Mitsubishi 4900 would usually run for about 10 seconds.
rcoe's Avatar rcoe 10:20 AM 10-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by defiancecp View Post

True, but you can definitely buy the panasonic glasses, and you could also buy monster vision.

The IR is a new "universal" (they hope ) standard called m-3di. Sony, Panasonic, Epson, and Xpand all signed on to the standard, so at some point their glasses should all support the standard. However, older models that existed before they signed on to the standard? who knows.

As far as I know the panasonics are the only m-3di glasses publically available right now, but I don't know either way about the sony's (no idea when those were released).

So the new generation of panasonic glasses work with the 3010? I just got mine for my plasma and it would be great if the would work with the 3010. These are the ones I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TY-E...9991275&sr=8-5

I was going to purchase the HD33 next week, but if my panasonic glasses will work with the 3010 then I will most likely switch.

What are the mounting specs for this projector?
RioRebel's Avatar RioRebel 10:21 AM 10-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

...and if it did there would be more to be worried about than the PJ falling down.

Like breaking the neck of whoever hit the assembly with a 16lb Sledge Hammer

Spoken like a fellow Mississippian. LMAO.

Can anyone confirm for me - according to Coderguy's calculator, the Epson 3010 in low lamp mode is actually less bright than the Optoma HD33. I can't find the definitive specs, even the user manuals on their websites. The Epson doesn't give a specific lumen output in low lamp mode, and the Optoma doesn't mention it at all.

I need to throw a 95" projection from 12'5" (can adjust an inch or two) in a completely dark room...so the brightness of these are actually something I'm trying to back off.
AndreasMergner's Avatar AndreasMergner 10:39 AM 10-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRebel View Post

Spoken like a fellow Mississippian. LMAO.

Can anyone confirm for me - according to Coderguy's calculator, the Epson 3010 in low lamp mode is actually less bright than the Optoma HD33. I can't find the definitive specs, even the user manuals on their websites. The Epson doesn't give a specific lumen output in low lamp mode, and the Optoma doesn't mention it at all.

I need to throw a 95" projection from 12'5" (can adjust an inch or two) in a completely dark room...so the brightness of these are actually something I'm trying to back off.

923 lumens in Cinema mode on low lamp. That is really, really bright. Yeah, I don't think his calculator is completely correct.
http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...erformance.php
RioRebel's Avatar RioRebel 10:44 AM 10-30-2011
Thanks. According to that review, if I read it right, it can go even lower in eco mode:

"Uncalibrated Cinema 1 mode (our basis for "best") still manages 923 lumens (we didn't calibrate Eco-mode, which we noted already looked very good)!"
RioRebel's Avatar RioRebel 10:48 AM 10-30-2011
Oh, I think I read it wrong. That's already in eco mode.

My projector has an eco mode, AND a "high brightness or high contrast" mode (Sharp Z2000), so I get confused sometimes.
ack_bk's Avatar ack_bk 10:55 AM 10-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoe View Post

So the new generation of panasonic glasses work with the 3010? I just got mine for my plasma and it would be great if the would work with the 3010. These are the ones I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TY-E...9991275&sr=8-5

I was going to purchase the HD33 next week, but if my panasonic glasses will work with the 3010 then I will most likely switch.

What are the mounting specs for this projector?

Yes, the 3rd gen Panny glasses should work with the 3010.

As for mounting the 3010 has zero offset. You either have to mount it on the ceiling so the center of the lens is even with the top of the screen or mount it low so the lens is even with the bottom of the screen. There is some keystone available, but it could affect your image quality.
Lnd Svyr's Avatar Lnd Svyr 02:04 PM 10-30-2011
My first projector ever. It was a great projector in every sense but I could not live without the lens shift. Got it at Best Buy and the 10% coupon worked fine. Took it back after three days. No hassles.

I came home and bought the 8350 from Visual Apex. Great price, free shipping and no sales tax.

I never would have gotten used to wearing those 3d glasses anyway.
dave1969's Avatar dave1969 04:30 PM 10-30-2011
anyone know what the 2 inside buttons do on the epson glasses
ack_bk's Avatar ack_bk 05:46 PM 10-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnd Svyr View Post

My first projector ever. It was a great projector in every sense but I could not live without the lens shift. Got it at Best Buy and the 10% coupon worked fine. Took it back after three days. No hassles.

I came home and bought the 8350 from Visual Apex. Great price, free shipping and no sales tax.

I never would have gotten used to wearing those 3d glasses anyway.

I think this is exactly why Epson is keeping the 8350 around. Not everybody needs or cares about 3D, and the 8350 is a great value for price vs performance. Enjoy.
tryharder's Avatar tryharder 04:11 AM 10-31-2011
Hi all,
my first post here on this forum, after reading about everything on the epson 3010.
I am getting the tw6000 (the euro-3010) here in the Netherlands as soon as it is available. I was wondering if anyone of you ever owned the benq w1000, which I have now. Is it a remarkable upgrade in means of black, color, colorwheel (I am a bit sensitive for RBE), etc?
Thank you!
ack_bk's Avatar ack_bk 08:21 AM 10-31-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryharder View Post

Hi all,
my first post here on this forum, after reading about everything on the epson 3010.
I am getting the tw6000 (the euro-3010) here in the Netherlands as soon as it is available. I was wondering if anyone of you ever owned the benq w1000, which I have now. Is it a remarkable upgrade in means of black, color, colorwheel (I am a bit sensitive for RBE), etc?
Thank you!

Blacks will be improved, color should be improved the Epson is brighter, and the Epson has no color wheel as it is a 3 chip LCD. So no RBE at all vs the BenQ 2x colorwheel. If you are sensitive to RBE, LCD makes a lot of sense. The 3010 is also a 3D projector. If you don't want or need 3D, I would consider the cheaper Epson 8530, as you are paying for the 3D feature.

Coming from the W1000, I suspect you would see an upgrade, but it comes down to if it is worth the cost.
vincentfox's Avatar vincentfox 08:41 AM 10-31-2011
Quote:

anyone know what the 2 inside buttons do on the epson glasses

They adjust how hard the earpieces grip the side of your head. It's not entirely obvious but it's in the manual. You have to fold the earpieces inward first, then move the switches. When you fold the earpieces out again you'll notice they will have changed their "stop point" for outward swing.
financeguy89's Avatar financeguy89 12:43 PM 10-31-2011
In Art's review of the Epson 3010 he talks about it having "Frame Interpolation." The paragraph where he talks about it is below. My question is whether or not you can engage this "Frame Interpolation" while watching TV i.e. "sports," "gaming," or just "movies?" Any experience from owners would be very much appreciated since I was looking forward to engaging this function while watching football games. I hate the "SO" effect on films so tv would be my primary reason for engaging it. Thx.

Home Cinema 3010 Frame Interpolation - FI - smooth motion

The Home Cinema 3010 has simple 2:2 frame interpolation. That will run your 24 fps movie at 48, which helps some folks out, with a type of motion smoothing , that doesn't impact most folks. What people find these days on higher end projectors is typically CFI, where a unique frame is created between each two regular ones (or sometimes 3 frames between each pair)...

Those creatively interpolated frames definitely smooth out sports and other fast motion a bit and can improve panning as well.

So, this Epson only has the basic 2:2 pull-down, not CFI. Mind you the Epson Home Cinema 8350, Mitsubishi HC4000 and other popular projectors around the price range all lack CFI. It's a feature typically starting on slightly more expensive projectors, right around $2000.
AndreasMergner's Avatar AndreasMergner 01:03 PM 10-31-2011
It says it right in the quote. It only works with a 24fps source to give you 48fps. If you have a 60fps source it won't do anything. There is a manual on Epson's website if you want to look at it.
ddmsp187's Avatar ddmsp187 01:17 PM 10-31-2011
Hi Everyone,

I am a long time reader, first time poster. I recently picked up the 3010 from BB last night. This is my second projector, coming from a Mits 1000. I have to say that its a big improvement over the 1000. I think part of the improvement is in the resolution difference. Going from 720 to 1080. There was a noticeable difference in contrast and blacks. The little bit of 3D viewing I did looked very good. I didnt see any crosstalk or ghosting, but I did notice some flickering. I am a little sensitive to it. Overall, I have say this projector offers a pretty good bang for the buck.
AndreasMergner's Avatar AndreasMergner 01:30 PM 10-31-2011
What flickering are you getting? I don't understand what would be causing that.
Mikes2cents's Avatar Mikes2cents 01:32 PM 10-31-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmsp187 View Post

Hi Everyone,

I am a long time reader, first time poster. I recently picked up the 3010 from BB last night. ...... Overall, I have say this projector offers a pretty good bang for the buck.

Did you get it on sale $100 off. It is listed as same price as HD33 today.
ddmsp187's Avatar ddmsp187 01:42 PM 10-31-2011
I got it for $100 off and was able to use the 10% coupon. Hard to pass up for that price

Edit: I took a closer look at the receipt and it looks like they applied the $100 discount, but then when they applied the 10% it only deducted an additional $60. So looks like it was actually 10% off the original price
Tags: Epson , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010e Full Hd 1080p 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector With Integrated Spe , Projectors
First ... 12  13  14 15  16  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop