post #541 of 2004 Old 11-05-2011, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Reminds me of the first time I bought an HDTV. Was a 55" Samsung DLP and when I hooked it up and turned on Discovery HD (at the time I had Comcast and was like 5 channels in HD)... I was hooked. Then I put on a MLB baseball game and saw a fan in the stands with a mustard stain on his shirt.. Wow.

I still like 2D for many movies, but some movies are just really fun in 3D and I agree, very happy with this projector at this price point. Although I am going to find out about the Mitsubishi 7800 pricing at AVS..

For those that are interested, I had this PJ in my livingroom with about 5 other IR devices, and I have had zero IR conflicts with other devices using the 3D IR glasses from Epson.

Absolutely...sports in HD was a total revelation for me. I'm not a big hockey guy, but the first time I saw Hockey on HDNet in HD I was hooked. You didn't need that glowing puck like Fox tried back in the 90s...you could follow it without any problem. Not only that, but the way they filmed their broadcasts allowed you to feel like you were not only sitting right behind the glass, but at times as if you were on the ice! I've yet to see any network film a hockey game like HDNet did.

If you do end up with the Mitsu, I'll be really interested to hear your thoughts. As you know, that's the PJ I was going to hold out for, as well. I'm definitely keeping the 3010 for now, but that will be my upgrade path most likely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2004 Old 11-05-2011, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

Absolutely...sports in HD was a total revelation for me. I'm not a big hockey guy, but the first time I saw Hockey on HDNet in HD I was hooked. You didn't need that glowing puck like Fox tried back in the 90s...you could follow it without any problem. Not only that, but the way they filmed their broadcasts allowed you to feel like you were not only sitting right behind the glass, but at times as if you were on the ice! I've yet to see any network film a hockey game like HDNet did.

If you do end up with the Mitsu, I'll be really interested to hear your thoughts. As you know, that's the PJ I was going to hold out for, as well. I'm definitely keeping the 3010 for now, but that will be my upgrade path most likely.

LOL, I forgot about the glowing puck... How did we survive before there were iPods, cellphones, and HDTV??

Well, using coderguy's calculator, it does not appear that the Mitsubishi 7800 is in the cards. I would have to lower my screen too close to the floor for my liking. Waiting to see if I can make it work. I had the same issue with the Optoma 3300. The 3010, with zero offset, works great with my 8' ceilings..
post #543 of 2004 Old 11-05-2011, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

LOL, I forgot about the glowing puck... How did we survive before there were iPods, cellphones, and HDTV??

Well, using coderguy's calculator, it does not appear that the Mitsubishi 7800 is in the cards. I would have to lower my screen too close to the floor for my liking. Waiting to see if I can make it work. I had the same issue with the Optoma 3300. The 3010, with zero offset, works great with my 8' ceilings..

Well, the 3010 isn't a bad consolation prize

And I know what you mean, cause when I think back to life before internet and cell phones, it's almost unfathomable! Just the amount of research I do on the internet prior to making purchases alone is something I could not imagine being without. It doesn't matter if I'm buying wet wipes for the bathroom off Amazon of a new piece of HT gear, I feel like I'm in a great position to make solid decisions on every purchase I make...I can't imagine not having this tool we call the internet to do that.
post #544 of 2004 Old 11-05-2011, 02:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

Now what they're telling me is that Cars 2 in 3D is on their list of having technical difficulties, and it's currently being resolved

Hopefully this the only issue, cause everything else works fantastically well. It takes the 1080p signal from my Oppo and from Vudu perfectly. It transitions from 2D to 3D perfectly, and even though I'm having to use a "-6" setting on the keystone adjustment (vertical), there is no visible degradation of the image that I can tell. So hopefully it's just what they said, a tech issue with the stream and tomorrow it'll be working great. I'll update when I find out something so others aren't unnecessarily concerned.

We watched Cars 2 in 3D on the 3010 and had no issues with it, looked great.

Jason
post #545 of 2004 Old 11-05-2011, 02:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I wonder if you used a magnifying glass in front of this projector's lens, could you theoretically start a fire if it were pointed at the most flammable substance on earth.

I am assuming no of course, just kidding around, but this projector sounds really bright.

I've been watching that show DUAL SURVIVAL too much lately, now I'm starting to think about if I ever have a disaster and need to live in the wilderness, what can I use to start fires to keep warm, the projector is one thing I could possibly use

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #546 of 2004 Old 11-05-2011, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I wonder if you used a magnifying glass in front of this projector's lens, could you theoretically start a fire if it were pointed at the most flammable substance on earth.

I am assuming no of course, just kidding around, but this projector sounds really bright.

I've been watching that show DUAL SURVIVAL too much lately, now I'm starting to think about if I ever have a disaster and need to live in the wilderness, what can I use to start fires to keep warm, the projector is one thing I could possibly use

It is a light cannon. I am loving it. There is a scene in Tangled (if you are familiar with the movie) in the beginning where Rapunzel's blond hair lights up very brightly. In 3D I switched between Cinema and Dynamic and Dynamic, even on a large 125" greyish wall, it was uber bright. None of the 3D projectors I looked at last year were bright enough IMHO, and the extra lumens make a huge difference. It makes 3D movies so much more dynamic having the brightness vs the dimmer looking picture with the glasses on a less bright projector.

Makes me wonder what the 2400 lumen 5010/6010 will look like..
post #547 of 2004 Old 11-05-2011, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

It is a light cannon. I am loving it. There is a scene in Tangled (if you are familiar with the movie) in the beginning where Rapunzel's blond hair lights up very brightly. In 3D I switched between Cinema and Dynamic and Dynamic, even on a large 125" greyish wall, it was uber bright. None of the 3D projectors I looked at last year were bright enough IMHO, and the extra lumens make a huge difference. It makes 3D movies so much more dynamic having the brightness vs the dimmer looking picture with the glasses on a less bright projector.

Makes me wonder what the 2400 lumen 5010/6010 will look like..

Yes this PJ is super bright in both 3D and 2D...almost same level, unlike HD33 which was relatively darker in 3D vs 2D....but i miss the deep contrast and pop of DLP....but not enough to give up the superior 2D image and brightness of 3010 and even in 3D the image is vibrant and very satisfying even with lesser contrast...i really was expecting to be let down by 3010 having been spoiled by HD33 goodness, but something magical happened and i cant describe exactly what, but 3010 has a lot of goodies going for it.

i hope in the future they make a PJ with dual technology so we can have best of both worlds
post #548 of 2004 Old 11-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

post #549 of 2004 Old 11-06-2011, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

The good thing about so many extra lumens is you can safely get a high contrast gray screen that will make the blacks n=much better. Unfortunately I already have a white 1.0 screen and so will try the ND2 filter and will post some thoughts

Please let me know what size to order. I too want to try one out. Any good brands over another?
post #550 of 2004 Old 11-06-2011, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

If I have I done my homework correctly () I believe it should work fine with my 7' ceiling as well. Shooting from about 18 1/2' to a 1.3 gain 120" 16:9 screen. PJ shelf-mounted with the lense roughly 6" from the ceiling. Yeah, the screen is a bit lower ( about 1'4" off the deck) than I'd like but it's been fine with my VS Pro8100 and with only a 7' ceiling not much choice with a 120" screen.
If any of you good folks see a reason that you don't think this would work please let me know. Thanks!

Ed
post #551 of 2004 Old 11-06-2011, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
"i really was expecting to be let down by 3010 having been spoiled by HD33 goodness, but something magical happened and i cant describe exactly what"

I know what, you went blind.

Just kidding saw the opportunity for a good laugh had to do it, hope u got a chuckle out of it. Now back to football.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #552 of 2004 Old 11-06-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

"i really was expecting to be let down by 3010 having been spoiled by HD33 goodness, but something magical happened and i cant describe exactly what"

I know what, you went blind.

Just kidding saw the opportunity for a good laugh had to do it, hope u got a chuckle out of it. Now back to football.

get a life
post #553 of 2004 Old 11-06-2011, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No sense of humor dude.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #554 of 2004 Old 11-06-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:

No sense of humor dude.

maybe the last 50 times. It gets old bro
post #555 of 2004 Old 11-06-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:

No sense of humor dude.

It's hard to joke around on here, too much rivalry going on. I'm always up for a good laugh, even at myself. Back to the Optoma threads I a go.
post #556 of 2004 Old 11-06-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1969 View Post

maybe the last 50 times. It gets old bro

Yes Dad.

I forgot never poke fun on Sunday. Mostly it's just flammers bored hanging around. Biggest flame wars come on Sunday and that's wierd.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #557 of 2004 Old 11-06-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:

Yes Dad.

I forgot never poke fun on Sunday. Mostly it's just flammers bored hanging around. Biggest flame wars come on Sunday and that's wierd.

Sounds like a good reality tv show!!!! Haha! Got my Sunday laugh in.

post #558 of 2004 Old 11-06-2011, 06:14 PM

I am new in the projector world. Like the 3010 on paper. at 18ft throw it looks like i can get an image close to 14x8ft.

unfortunately the calculator on projectorpeople / projectorcentral doesn't work yet for the epson 3010. the epson calculator is great but it doesn't show you the decrease in foot lumens per square foot as you increase the image size.

curious if anyone knows how to get this infromation. want to make sure its viewable at this distance.

regarding light i will have control to remove almost all light in the room and none will be on the screen.

thanks.
post #559 of 2004 Old 11-06-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectornewbie View Post

unfortunately the calculator on projectorpeople / projectorcentral doesn't work yet for the epson 3010.

Try this one:

http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com/
post #560 of 2004 Old 11-07-2011, 06:52 AM

My 3010 works perfectly with 3d DVD's with the 3d signal setup on auto..but with Comcast and their 3d compatible MOT dcx3400-m box....the epson auto 3d doesn't work and I have to choose either side by side or up and down which is how the cable box seems to be sending me the 3d images...In other words, I am seeing either 2 side by side images or 2 images horizontally and vertically...the images are identical...The comcast techs didn't know how to fix it when they were here but eventually I saw the setting in the projector and when I change 3d signal from auto to up and down or side by side the 3d works perfectly....It's a huge pain to say the least...Has anyone else had this issue and solved it? Anyone see this problem with Direc TV??

FWIW I have had the projector for a few days and have been super impressed with the quality of the 3d and the regular image. It is a massive improvement over my BenQ1000 which was an excellent 1080p projector for the money....I have seen no weird crosstalk or any anomalies at all with the unit and I love it...I bought it at Projector Superstore in AZ....and the day after I bought it there was a $ 100 price reduction by all the online dealers and I called and mentioned it to them and they gave me the refund in a second of the $ 100....To say the least I have been really impressed by how they treated me and would highly recommend them because of it.
http://www.projectorsuperstore.com/

If anyone can help with the image issue I would be very appreciative...
I was also wondering if any other less expensive 3d active shutter glasses might work with the unit besides the expensive Epson brand?

Feel free to email me if you have any questions...procol33@aol.com
post #561 of 2004 Old 11-07-2011, 08:08 AM

Anybody got experience with the graphics card from AMD HD6xxx with this projector? The projector does not detect my 3 source here. The PS3/Xbox360 goes all right. Thanks for any advice.
post #562 of 2004 Old 11-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I'm using it with an ATI 6870 - haven't had any trouble. not sure what you mean by it does not detect your 3 source? What's is doing specifically?
post #563 of 2004 Old 11-07-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by procol33 View Post

My 3010 works perfectly with 3d DVD's with the 3d signal setup on auto..but with Comcast and their 3d compatible MOT dcx3400-m box....the epson auto 3d doesn't work and I have to choose either side by side or up and down which is how the cable box seems to be sending me the 3d images...In other words, I am seeing either 2 side by side images or 2 images horizontally and vertically...the images are identical...The comcast techs didn't know how to fix it when they were here but eventually I saw the setting in the projector and when I change 3d signal from auto to up and down or side by side the 3d works perfectly....It's a huge pain to say the least...Has anyone else had this issue and solved it? Anyone see this problem with Direc TV?

I have the same problem with Comcast. Tried everything including changing the actual resolution settings on the cable box, calling tech support, changing the cables and setup to eliminate outside influences. Nothing worked, best thing I did was assign the User button to select the 3d mode (side by side/top and bottom). That way I don't have to go into the menu every time.
post #564 of 2004 Old 11-07-2011, 10:08 AM

Was deciding between ordering an 8350 and the 3010. Was leaning heavily toward the 8350 due to not thinking I required 3D and thinking I needed lens shift to help with my mounting.

So wife, kids, and I went to a local store since they had the 3010 for a good discount (until Saturday) and I wanted to see if they'd accept the code that gave a gift card with the purchase I had with this. They said they would.

Thought that was a great deal, especially considering lowest online I found was a bit more, before being given the gift card.

So overall, SO GLAD I got the 3010, at least so far. INCREDIBLE picture - projecting right now from about 11' (on a tabletop, temporarily) with 114" screen onto the gray (glossy) wall), and its amazing. Other than a few defects in the painting of the wall its almost flawless.

I plan on sanding the wall and painting it specifically (with the instructions described in this forum) for a screen, but it exceeded my expectations by far.

3D is just amazing, I really thought it would be more gimicky (Avatar in 3D in the movie theatre being the best I've seen so far, and this BLEW IT AWAY - eyes never got tired (well, until about 4-5 hours later since I stayed up late playing with it) unlike at the theatre).

It is overly bright though I admit, especially in my room (slanted 16' ceiling, painted ceiling white currently, and whole room the glossy gray). Though I was planning on repainting the room anyway.

Also while I was initially planning on ceiling mounting the projector about 15' from the screen (meaning I'd have to drop the projector about 5' from the ceiling at that point), I might try to put it even further back in the room (up to 20') since the brightness is so good (which would also give me the option of a much larger screen, though much bigger than 120" would probably be too big). :-)

Will have to run some calculations to see what moving it back farther would do (on clarity as well). Main issue would be the ability to use the XBox Kinect without our heads getting in the way of the light stream. Further back, the more chance of this occuring. But other advantage of putting it back further is that I wouldn't have to drop the projector much below ceiling height at that extreme (in fact, at the 21' mark, only about 4 inches), so I'd get more stability most likely.

Anyways trying to decide what to do.

But overall I'm VERY impressed. Convergence is VERY good, though if I walk up to the screen I can see at the very top about 1/2 pixel (in the green) line out of convergence. Nothing at all 2-3 feet back. VERY acceptable.

AutoIris at first was VERY noisy the first time the projector was powered up, could easily hear it. However, seems that within about 20 minutes, its barely noticable, and not at all with any sound in the room. Frankly, I kinda like hearing it in dark, quiet scenes, as it reminds me of older movie theatres where you always heard the clickity clack of the projector during the quiet scenes. That said, its only for a second or two and its off (until the next transition). Not annoying at all, at least so far.

Also - the external look of the projector is MUCH better than the boxy ugly 8350. Not that this is any reason to buy the 3010, but since I'll be ceiling mounting it where it will be seen by anyone coming into the room, its a nice touch. Probably the most attractive projector design I've seen.

Anyways, I'm a very happy camper right now. Just need to decide how I'm mounting it permanently.

One curious thing so far is that while the projector has built in speakers (which aren't bad actually - haven't yet hooked up my stereo), I'm disappointed that there's no audio out (yes I know that projectors without speakers typically don't have this). It would be nice to be able to use the projector exclusively to switch between sources (will be running 2 HDMIs and one component) and don't want to have to switch audio - would be nice if the projector could do so.

But overall, very impressed. Already watched a few movies with the kids (two girls, 5 and 7) who LOVED it, and yesterday we had a house full of people (already planned) and everyone was amazed (especially with the 3D, lots of passing around of glasses).
post #565 of 2004 Old 11-07-2011, 10:44 AM

Keep in mind the brightness will go down slightly as you lose lumens during the blubs life. It sounds like you don’t have much of a reason to change to a 8350 at this point. You will be losing 3D which your kids might love for arguably negligible better black levels (to me the 3010 looked better than my 8350).

Since it looks like you've been to the DIY screen section you're on the right track. Try the latest revision of Silver Fire paint. Its complex but anyone with half a head on their shoulders can figure it out and you can learn the basics of spraying technique from the videos Mississippi Man has posted in the thread. The grey screen you will get from the silver fire mix will tone down the brightness a tad and give you great black levels. Keep in mind you need all the brightness you can get with 3D so if you view 3D as more than just a fad right now, you'll want to lean towards the lighter of the mixes.

How come you want to make so many cable runs to the projector? I would get a receiver that accepts all your inputs and just send the PJ one run of HDMI. Your install will be cleaner AND it will be easier, not to mention solving your switching between devices easily problem.
post #566 of 2004 Old 11-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Fellow 3010 owners:

I see that RGB dont converge on my 120" screen and its most obvious when there is text against black background

I thought this would ruin PQ, but dont seem to notice this in normal viewing (I am sure its there)...wonder how much more superior the image would be with perfect convergence

does anyone see this ? is this an issue that I should be worried about ?
post #567 of 2004 Old 11-07-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiancecp View Post

I'm using it with an ATI 6870 - haven't had any trouble. not sure what you mean by it does not detect your 3 source? What's is doing specifically?

3D source sbs mkv, i tried TotalMedia Theatre 5 or Stereoscopic.Player and nothnik. When I switch to 3D mode I get the message that this is not a 3D source. I really do not know what I'm doing wrong.
post #568 of 2004 Old 11-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I don't remember if tmt5 supports side-by-side mkv's ... I'd think it would, but since I can't remember how, I can't answer that...

But for stereoscopic player, make sure you've got the latest version so you can select ATI HD3d as your output. Then select side-by-side as the 3d format, Then, in full screen, press the 3d enable button (I think it's F5?). Frame packed resolution won't enable unless you're in full screen though.

Alternatively you could play it in full screen in any media player (so it actually shows the side-by-side image on the screen), then switch the projector to side-by-side mode and turn 3d on manually that way.
post #569 of 2004 Old 11-07-2011, 07:30 PM

I took my 3010 back to BB today. Last day of the 14 days easy return, and it had just come up with the auto iris error for a 3rd time yesterday.

Terrific unit, now I wait and see what the 5010 looks like.
post #570 of 2004 Old 11-07-2011, 08:42 PM

I just returned my 3010 to best buy. Why? As a gamer, the lag is just totally unacceptable. For anybody that plays FPS games (COD, Battlefield, etc), any rhythm games, or any games that require quick input, this is NOT the projector for you, IMO.

Also, I tried out 3d gaming with Uncharted 3 on PS3. First off, the loss of resolution is pretty terrible. As neat as 3d is, losing more than half the resolution just isn't worth it... at all. Also, at least on my projector, the 3d for Uncharted 3 had a "liquid-y" effect. I didn't notice this on movies, but the 3d game definitely had a strange artifacting, more notable on objects further away. It made my eyes hurt a bit.

One other thing is that the 3010 seems a bit soft to my eyes. Not bad, but a bit soft. The was not a big issue to me, but for those looking for the sharpest around, this may not be it.

I really wanted to like the 3010. 1080p, 3D, 2200 lumens, 2 pairs of glasses, just 1599. I thought this was it. But all in all it wasn't worth it. The lag is awful (it was enough for people to notice a frame or two off-sync with movies, and NO it's not my receiver to blame or anything else. I've tried my 5ms response 52" Vizio LCD TV in the same exact place in the chain and there is no delay), the 3D gaming was very lackluster (for now), and it just didn't seem to pop as much as I hoped.

Anyways, just my thoughts after owning it for almost 2 weeks and deciding to return it. YMMV
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010e Full Hd 1080p 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector With Integrated Spe , Projectors
Gear in this thread - 3010e by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page