My Epson 3010 projector just arrived! - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 2003 Old 11-10-2011, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzul View Post

Anybody else notice a slight humming sound in the Epsom glasses? My wife and I both noticed while watching 3d movies. Personally I'm really into sound quality and this humming bugs the heck out of me. If others are noticing this I'll deal with it, but I'm hoping maybe I got a bad pair of glasses and I may have Epson exchange them.

I have not noticed this with my glasses. O would contact Epson and ask for an exchange.
ack_bk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 2003 Old 11-10-2011, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Hey Mike, doing good and hope you are as well.

The 3010 is a mixed bag honestly, the 3D is great (almost zero crosstalk/ghosting) and the unit is very BRIGHT but the 2D image suffers. With all those lumen's comes a poor BL for 2D viewing and the lens leaves much to be desired regarding sharpness (add in LCD convergence error and you end up with loss in fine detail). I find the glasses to be somewhat uncomfortable because they are very large (not heavy at all, just an odd fit), my wife was even able to wear them over the top of her glasses and they were still a little loose. It's almost totally silent and the iris is one of the more impressive that I have seen regarding noise and pumping. The calibration controls are all there and should allow for a very accurate image when properly calibrated with a meter.

All in all it's a fine unit if you're primarily buying for 3D but if 3D is just an extra and you value 2D more then there are better 2D choices in this price range.

I did not end up keeping the 3010, I was considering it for my media room but could not live with the 2D image quality. I viewed it for about 12 hours and feel like I got a solid experience of what it has to offer.

Jason

I agree about the glasses being on the large side. Since my wife and I sometimes wear our regular glasses, I don't mind the larger frames, but these things are huge on my kids. The 3rd gen Panasonic glasses comes in small, medium, and large. Which is nice. I wish all CE's offered different sizes.

As for 2D PQ, I am curious if you tried the 75% calibration as noted in this thread. For those that have done it, it greatly increased "pop" to the image and it definitely gives you more of a DLP-like image than an LCD/natural looking image.
ack_bk is offline  
post #633 of 2003 Old 11-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Member
 
riddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

As for 2D PQ, I am curious if you tried the 75% calibration as noted in this thread. For those that have done it, it greatly increased "pop" to the image and it definitely gives you more of a DLP-like image than an LCD/natural looking image.

What is you callibration seting?

thanks
riddle is offline  
post #634 of 2003 Old 11-10-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
old corps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

If I have I done my homework correctly () I believe it should work fine with my 7' ceiling as well. Shooting from about 18 1/2' to a 1.3 gain 120" 16:9 screen. PJ shelf-mounted with the lense roughly 6" from the ceiling. Yeah, the screen is a bit lower ( about 1'4" off the deck) than I'd like but it's been fine with my VS Pro8100 and with only a 7' ceiling not much choice with a 120" screen.
If any of you good folks see a reason that you don't think this would work please let me know. Thanks!

Ed

BUMP!

ANY thoughts??? My existing screen is matte white. Would it be too bright even in ECO mode for 2D with an 18 1/2' throw. I'm really most interested in the 3010 for 3D though. I can't consider getting a new screen. THANKS!

Ed
old corps is offline  
post #635 of 2003 Old 11-10-2011, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,513
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I agree about the glasses being on the large side. Since my wife and I sometimes wear our regular glasses, I don't mind the larger frames, but these things are huge on my kids. The 3rd gen Panasonic glasses comes in small, medium, and large. Which is nice. I wish all CE's offered different sizes.

As for 2D PQ, I am curious if you tried the 75% calibration as noted in this thread. For those that have done it, it greatly increased "pop" to the image and it definitely gives you more of a DLP-like image than an LCD/natural looking image.

Yes we plugged in the calibration numbers and of course I did my own basic calibrations via PC, it improved the image but I still feel it is lacking when displaying 2D (other than being insanely bright).

Jason
DaGamePimp is offline  
post #636 of 2003 Old 11-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Senior Member
 
stansell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Englewood CO
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well - my replacement didn't arrive today as I expected. I called Epson and the support guy said that it may be out of stock and I need to call back tomorrow earlier when another department is open so they can check on the status of my replacement.
stansell is offline  
post #637 of 2003 Old 11-10-2011, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post


BUMP!

ANY thoughts??? My existing screen is matte white. Would it be too bright even in ECO mode for 2D with an 18 1/2' throw. I'm really most interested in the 3010 for 3D though. I can't consider getting a new screen. THANKS!

Ed

I think you will be okay with a throw that long on a 120" screen. Keep in mind the bulb will dim over time. If you buy from a retailer with a good return policy you should be fine.
ack_bk is offline  
post #638 of 2003 Old 11-10-2011, 08:44 PM
Senior Member
 
stansell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Englewood CO
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

BUMP!

ANY thoughts??? My existing screen is matte white. Would it be too bright even in ECO mode for 2D with an 18 1/2' throw. I'm really most interested in the 3010 for 3D though. I can't consider getting a new screen. THANKS!

Ed

I'm using mine on a 104" matte white screen 11' throw. It's bright, but not too bright in 2D cinema/eco mode. It will seem too bright when you first start it up - but the brightness will settle down a bit after some lamp hours. Black is still very black. Looks amazing.
stansell is offline  
post #639 of 2003 Old 11-11-2011, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
old corps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by stansell View Post

I'm using mine on a 104" matte white screen 11' throw. It's bright, but not too bright in 2D cinema/eco mode. It will seem too bright when you first start it up - but the brightness will settle down a bit after some lamp hours. Black is still very black. Looks amazing.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it! Judging from your experience I think I'll be ok. 120" screen, shooting from 18 1/2 ' with some ambient light.

Ed
old corps is offline  
post #640 of 2003 Old 11-11-2011, 08:03 AM
Member
 
financeguy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I agree about the glasses being on the large side. Since my wife and I sometimes wear our regular glasses, I don't mind the larger frames, but these things are huge on my kids. The 3rd gen Panasonic glasses comes in small, medium, and large. Which is nice. I wish all CE's offered different sizes.

As for 2D PQ, I am curious if you tried the 75% calibration as noted in this thread. For those that have done it, it greatly increased "pop" to the image and it definitely gives you more of a DLP-like image than an LCD/natural looking image.

ack_bk,
You mentioned trying the 75% calibration thread related to Epson PJ's. I would really like to, but it appears I need a BD-burner on my computer to be able to download run this thing through my BD player. Art's numbers certainly helped, but I would like to calibrate it more thoroughly. I know it would be a bit tedious, but could you post your calibration settings that gave you the DLP like pop for the 3010 so some of us could at least try it out. I am in a light controlled environment. I'm not sure what yours is, but I would at least like to give your numbers a try if possible.
financeguy89 is offline  
post #641 of 2003 Old 11-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Newbie
 
lifecast2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys (and gals),
Question, I have the Epson HD705 and the Epson 3010. Love the 3010 for 3D and Blu Ray 2D. However, anything that I play through my computer, Macbook Pro, I use the HD705. It just delivers a larger and sharper image wheras the 3010 seems to lock into a ratio and the clarity is very uprezzed-looking and pixelated. ...but this is besides the point...

Long story short, the power button on either remote, sets the other other one on or off, which drives me crazy.
Is there any way to change a setting on either that will prevent this from happening?

**Just to note, yes, I did contact Epson, and they said... "sorry."
Basically the remotes give out a generic code for that function, which I find hard to believe, but maybe I just expect more?
lifecast2020 is offline  
post #642 of 2003 Old 11-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Senior Member
 
stansell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Englewood CO
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another follow-up on getting my Epson replaced due to the "auto iris error". A replacement projector has not been sent out because they do not have any replacements in stock and the support guy did not know when they would have any to send out. So, I don't know if that means I'm waiting on one to get refurbished or not. Luckily I can still get it to work, but it is a 50/50 chance on whether it will get past the start screen without an error.

In other news, I ordered the Samsung Megamind 3D starter kit (comes with 2 glasses, Megamind and I think all the Shrek movies on 3D BRD) from Amazon. It was less than the cost of 2 Epson glasses and comes with 5 movies. I'll report back on how well the glasses work with the projector.
stansell is offline  
post #643 of 2003 Old 11-11-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lespurgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: California
Posts: 2,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifecast2020 View Post

Hey guys (and gals),
Question, I have the Epson HD705 and the Epson 3010. Love the 3010 for 3D and Blu Ray 2D. However, anything that I play through my computer, Macbook Pro, I use the HD705. It just delivers a larger and sharper image wheras the 3010 seems to lock into a ratio and the clarity is very uprezzed-looking and pixelated. ...but this is besides the point...

Long story short, the power button on either remote, sets the other other one on or off, which drives me crazy.
Is there any way to change a setting on either that will prevent this from happening?

**Just to note, yes, I did contact Epson, and they said... "sorry."
Basically the remotes give out a generic code for that function, which I find hard to believe, but maybe I just expect more?

Looks like something wrong with how you have the 3010 setup with the computer. You should be able to set the computer to output the 1080x1920 that the projector is expecting - sorry not a mac guy, so I don't have details.

On the switch question, the only thing I can think of is go with an RS232 control. With the remote, both projectors use the same on/off signal (it is Epson standard).
lespurgeon is offline  
post #644 of 2003 Old 11-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Senior Member
 
stansell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Englewood CO
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifecast2020 View Post

Hey guys (and gals),
Question, I have the Epson HD705 and the Epson 3010. Love the 3010 for 3D and Blu Ray 2D. However, anything that I play through my computer, Macbook Pro, I use the HD705. It just delivers a larger and sharper image wheras the 3010 seems to lock into a ratio and the clarity is very uprezzed-looking and pixelated. ...but this is besides the point...

Long story short, the power button on either remote, sets the other other one on or off, which drives me crazy.
Is there any way to change a setting on either that will prevent this from happening?

**Just to note, yes, I did contact Epson, and they said... "sorry."
Basically the remotes give out a generic code for that function, which I find hard to believe, but maybe I just expect more?

Make sure your MacBook is using 1080P on the projector's display settings. My MacBook Air looks very sharp on my 3310, but when I first hooked it up, the MacBook was still outputting the resolution for my old projector because it saw it as the same device as my old projector (my Onkyo receiver). Also, turn off "Mirror displays" in the settings because even if you are putting out 1080P to your projector, it will be upscaling the MacBook's lower resolution LCD display to to 1080P on the projector instead of displaying things natively 1080P on the projector.
stansell is offline  
post #645 of 2003 Old 11-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
falafala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stansell View Post

Another follow-up on getting my Epson replaced due to the "auto iris error". A replacement projector has not been sent out because they do not have any replacements in stock and the support guy did not know when they would have any to send out. So, I don't know if that means I'm waiting on one to get refurbished or not. Luckily I can still get it to work, but it is a 50/50 chance on whether it will get past the start screen without an error.

now that doesn't sound too encouraging....whats up with worlds greatest customer service etc etc ?

did you ask them if you will get a new or a refurb ?

may be they will buy you a new one from one of the retailers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stansell View Post

In other news, I ordered the Samsung Megamind 3D starter kit (comes with 2 glasses, Megamind and I think all the Shrek movies on 3D BRD) from Amazon. It was less than the cost of 2 Epson glasses and comes with 5 movies. I'll report back on how well the glasses work with the projector.

please do post your findings.....very interested in this kit myself.
falafala is offline  
post #646 of 2003 Old 11-11-2011, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by stansell View Post

Another follow-up on getting my Epson replaced due to the "auto iris error". A replacement projector has not been sent out because they do not have any replacements in stock and the support guy did not know when they would have any to send out. So, I don't know if that means I'm waiting on one to get refurbished or not. Luckily I can still get it to work, but it is a 50/50 chance on whether it will get past the start screen without an error.

In other news, I ordered the Samsung Megamind 3D starter kit (comes with 2 glasses, Megamind and I think all the Shrek movies on 3D BRD) from Amazon. It was less than the cost of 2 Epson glasses and comes with 5 movies. I'll report back on how well the glasses work with the projector.

Please report back on those glasses. That is a great deal.
ack_bk is offline  
post #647 of 2003 Old 11-12-2011, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
falafala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got a replacement from BestBuy for my 3010 as the earlier one had 3 problems all of which seem to be much much better

The new one has

1) better pixel convergence when viewed up close
2) IRIS is not audible anymore, except when signal switches...even then its barely audible just like Art said (Yeah!!!!!)
3) the faint ghosting in 3D is pretty much non-existent....to my "trained eyes" i could occasionally see very very little of it....but practically non existent

so i will be testing it more on known sources to see if this is a keeper

only disappointment i am having is that it looks like its been opened before...i noticed that there is prior sealing tape on the box that has been cut on top of which another tape has been put...i noticed this only after coming home...somebody has done a great job in putting the 2nd layer f tape as its not very obvious. Other reason that makes me suspect if its a used unit is the projector lens has some marks from some kind of residue of a cleaning solution and the projector body has ever so slight micro scratches...all other things look intact like power cord, glasses etc

first thing i did is to check lamp hours and it shows 0....but we all know that epson shows 0 hrs for 1st 10 hrs.....i want to catch this later point by logging my exact usage and see if the PJ shows 10 hrs sooner than my logs...this is a long shot as its very easy to reset the lamp hours by a prior owner

any suggestions on how i can determine this has been opened before ? BTW bestbuy guys claimed its a new unit
falafala is offline  
post #648 of 2003 Old 11-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Senior Member
 
stansell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Englewood CO
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Please report back on those glasses. That is a great deal.

Turned out to be too good to be true. They are RF glasses, not IR. So they won't work.
stansell is offline  
post #649 of 2003 Old 11-12-2011, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
falafala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stansell View Post

Turned out to be too good to be true. They are RF glasses, not IR. So they won't work.

are you sure ? the reviews say they bluetooth

one reviewer says previous model is IR...may be we should hunt for them
falafala is offline  
post #650 of 2003 Old 11-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
falafala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stansell View Post

Turned out to be too good to be true. They are RF glasses, not IR. So they won't work.

did some research, 2011 samsung glasses use bluetoth, but there are 2010 samsung glasses use IR and here is the dragon kit + 3 IMAX movies

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SSG-P2...137555&sr=8-23

these other IR glasses may work and have very good reviews

http://www.amazon.com/NXG-Technology...1137378&sr=8-3
falafala is offline  
post #651 of 2003 Old 11-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
falafala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post21140400

SUMMARY: the replacement unit resolved 3 issues I didnt like about original 3010 and now IRIS is barely audible, much better cross-talk performance and near perfect RGB convergence yielding very sharp image.
falafala is offline  
post #652 of 2003 Old 11-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Newbie
 
twiitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

I'm so torn at the moment i want to buy my first projector, but im so unsure which to dive into, i am looking at the 3010 only because maybe every now and then i may want to watch 3d but i still want a pretty good 2d image and reading some of "jason's" post have made me a little hesitant, not sure if i should spend a little less and get the 8350.

Do you guys think i should still get the 3010, i will leave it up to you guys to sway me in either direction,

Thanks Guys

Twiitch
twiitch is offline  
post #653 of 2003 Old 11-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
falafala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiitch View Post

Hey Guys,

I'm so torn at the moment i want to buy my first projector, but im so unsure which to dive into, i am looking at the 3010 only because maybe every now and then i may want to watch 3d but i still want a pretty good 2d image and reading some of "jason's" post have made me a little hesitant, not sure if i should spend a little less and get the 8350.

Do you guys think i should still get the 3010, i will leave it up to you guys to sway me in either direction,

Thanks Guys

Twiitch

I started out looking for a PJ that does excellent 3D and didnt initially care for 2D....but having seen how both HD33 and 3010 can do both very well and having realized that my 3D viewing will be a small percentage of 2D viewing, I changed my goal to pick the one that does both very well. For my situation, I found that 3010 gives a good balance for excellent 2D with very good 3D.

If you dont care for 3D, then I hear there are cheaper 2D PJ's that can beat either of these.

If you only care for excellent 3D, then HD33 may be a better option if long term brightness is not your concern (as in batcaves)

If you care for majority of excellent 2D with some small portion of very good 3D, 3010 fits the bill much better (atleast for me)

Ofcourse there are many other tradeoffs that I summarized as pros and cons in my long review in a link posted above.
falafala is offline  
post #654 of 2003 Old 11-13-2011, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Summa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 2,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiitch View Post

Hey Guys,

I'm so torn at the moment i want to buy my first projector, but im so unsure which to dive into, i am looking at the 3010 only because maybe every now and then i may want to watch 3d but i still want a pretty good 2d image and reading some of "jason's" post have made me a little hesitant, not sure if i should spend a little less and get the 8350.

Do you guys think i should still get the 3010, i will leave it up to you guys to sway me in either direction,

Thanks Guys

Twiitch

I was in your same position. I was ALMOST ready to pull the trigger on a BenQ W6000, cause I just wasn't convinced that 3D was ready for prime time. I have been to several movies at the theater in 3D and at least a few of those times I didn't really see the need to spend the extra money over the 2D version. In all honesty, some of the little animated promos before the film were the only things worth watching in 3D.

Anyway, a female friend of mine kept saying that even though I'm not a diehard 3D person, there may be times I wished I at least had the capability to play around with it sometimes. So the basis for my decision to go with the 3010 was this: As long as I'm DEFINITELY upgrading my 2D from what I have currently (Mitsubishi 4900), and the price is right, then I'd be better off with the Epson over the BenQ. I took delivery on it a week and a half ago and have been very happy with it so far. I finally got my first 3D bluray yesterday in the mail (FIFA World Cup 2010) and it was really cool seeing some soccer in 3D. I've also been playing around with the DirecTV 3D channels, and so far the coolest thing I've seen was the X-games on ESPN3D.

I don't know if that helps at all, and I'm much more of an audiophile than I am a videophile, but I don't see how anyone could not be happy with this projector given the price tag.
Summa is online now  
post #655 of 2003 Old 11-13-2011, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Pretty much what the others said. I wanted a good 2D projector and decided that it was time to get a 3D projector as well. I wanted something that had some lumens as I have a walkout basement with lots of windows. At night, no problem as we plan on buying blackout curtains, but during the day we often have friends and family over for sporting events. So lumens were important. I looked hard at the Optoma HD3300, but the offset would not work for me, and I could not justify spending so much more for a projector with less lumens and worse black level performance.

It really is a tough choice. Especially if you find the 8530 on a good sale $1000k or less).
ack_bk is offline  
post #656 of 2003 Old 11-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Newbie
 
twiitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank Guys

Im gonna go with the 3010, im pretty keen on it now hahah, im gonna go get it this afternoon, ill post thoughts and pics of setup.

Cheers

Twiitch
twiitch is offline  
post #657 of 2003 Old 11-14-2011, 02:50 AM
Newbie
 
tryharder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I haven't read this on this forum but to be sure I am gonna let you guys know the 2nd generation of the panasonic glasses (ew2d2) seem to work with the Epson tw6000w (which is the euro-version of the 3010).

For now, i cannot find any differences between the supplied epson glasses (I only get one pair..) and the panasonic glasses, except for the red line on my forehead which the epson draws on it.
tryharder is offline  
post #658 of 2003 Old 11-14-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy89 View Post

ack_bk,
You mentioned trying the 75% calibration thread related to Epson PJ's. I would really like to, but it appears I need a BD-burner on my computer to be able to download run this thing through my BD player. Art's numbers certainly helped, but I would like to calibrate it more thoroughly. I know it would be a bit tedious, but could you post your calibration settings that gave you the DLP like pop for the 3010 so some of us could at least try it out. I am in a light controlled environment. I'm not sure what yours is, but I would at least like to give your numbers a try if possible.

I have not done it yet. I am finishing my media room now (basement build) and am waiting to do the calibration after the room is done as the environment is very different from the temporary environment I have currently watched movies on. I plan on doing the 75% calibration though.
If you want to see some pictures of before and after calibration they are posted in the first page of the thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1134710

That said, if you look through the calibration thread, go to the last couple of pages and you can see screenshots of some of the settings that have been used by others.
ack_bk is offline  
post #659 of 2003 Old 11-14-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryharder View Post

I haven't read this on this forum but to be sure I am gonna let you guys know the 2nd generation of the panasonic glasses (ew2d2) seem to work with the Epson tw6000w (which is the euro-version of the 3010).

For now, i cannot find any differences between the supplied epson glasses (I only get one pair..) and the panasonic glasses, except for the red line on my forehead which the epson draws on it.

That is good to know. That said, I would recommend waiting for the 3rd gen Panasonic glasses to become more readily available as they are (from accounts that I have read) quite a bit superior to the 2nd gen.
ack_bk is offline  
post #660 of 2003 Old 11-14-2011, 09:11 AM
Senior Member
 
imblind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Could somebody just post the 3010 calibration settings in this thread? I'm not looking to do any major tinkering, just looking for some basic calibration settings that would work well with any 3010.
imblind is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010e Full Hd 1080p 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector With Integrated Spe , Projectors
Gear in this thread - 3010e by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off