post #721 of 2004 Old 11-18-2011, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

guitarman, i hear you and many other mention thaey have multiple projectors....so are these accumulated over the years or do you get them as a reviewer ? what do you with these ? have multiple of them mounted ?

I had the HC6500 setup before the HD3300. It's still setup and the HD3300 is setup above it. I need short throw projectors that's why for the hell of it I bought the Z3000 plus it was just $300. Upgraders just give stuff away. Can't have too many projectors.

I have a full CRT front HT setup in the garage with a 103" silverstar screen also. I might be nuts but what they hey.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2004 Old 11-18-2011, 12:26 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

thanks for the detective work

can you post some pictures ?

Unfortunately I didn't have time to get out the camera and tripod to make sure it was clear what the issue was (busy today so had to run to BB to return in between conference calls for work). The pictures I took with the iPhone (with me holding it) were blurry at best, so you couldn't really see what was going on.

I will post pictures of what it looks like afterwards, however.

Also - one thing I DID take a picture of was the old box, so I could compare batch and serial numbers. The OLD one was batch A287338, the NEW one is batch A315796. If these are consecutive, then this indicates the new one was quite a bit farther down the line, hopefully after some "improvements". :-)

We'll see. I haven't unboxed it yet, and most likely won't tonight. Finishing up some work, and then wife and I are going out to dinner, so it will probably be tomorrow morning.

BB btw, made the process of exchange about as painless as possible. Far much better than what they used to be when they gave you the third degree. My concern was that often they do a refund and rebill and since I both got it on sale (which is now off) and got a gift certificate out of it, thought that might present a challenge (have had issues in the past returning things where you got a gift certificate with the original purpose). Person at the return desk handled it all, no 2-3 managers required! :-) MUCH better than in the past.

BTW - still need to post pictures of the ceiling mount, so I'll do that tomorrow. (took them previously, just hand't transferred to the computer yet).
post #723 of 2004 Old 11-18-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac3522 View Post

For those of you using the Best Buy coupon, have you had any trouble getting them to accept it? I sometimes run into the issue of it saying "Regular Priced Items" and wanting to use it on a sale priced item.

Looking at picking it up this weekend.

Thanks,

Pmac

The page where I found my BB coupon it offered $130 gift certificate, regular or sale price, didn't matter, just any sale over $1000. I had no problem. The tax turned out to be $133, so I just actually only paid $3! Things normally don't go so smooth with me, so I was very pleased and now have more of a fondness for Best Buy then I ever did.
post #724 of 2004 Old 11-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pxjunky View Post

Amazon pay for shipping back and have a 30 day return policy. Best Buy try anything they can not to refund you. To get a Best Buy refund you have to pay for it on a credit card as if you pay cash or use debit they make you wait 10 days for a check in the mail. This is probably because they like to get all those broke customers hooked on Best Buys crappy interest rate revolving accounts. I purchased mine from Best Buy with my corporate Amex, this stops any funny business with Amex I get double warranty, Sadly the noisy iris and slow input response my Epson has been returned to Best Buy. I now know sub 3k pj's 1080p is not good enough and have been stripped of performance to make a price goal. I suggest waiting 1 yr before making this leap.

amazon doesnt pay for return shipping, why do people always say this? it seems everyone has just fallen into the trap of believing what they read on the internet. Amazon only pays for return shipping if the item is faulty (not liking it != faulty) or they sent you the wrong item.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #725 of 2004 Old 11-18-2011, 07:21 PM

I'm a bit of a noob at all this, and I looked around but couldn't find anything.

I'm using a ps3 with my 3010 ceiling mounted about 13' back from a 110" screen and while watching Thor in 3D and even Hulk in blu ray it often skips frames at parts where the film is fast moving, like the sequences are rushed and a little blurred.

Is it a projector flaw, setup flaw, or setting flaw? Or a little of each? Any help would be appreciated.
post #726 of 2004 Old 11-18-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCannoSaurus View Post

I'm a bit of a noob at all this, and I looked around but couldn't find anything.

I'm using a ps3 with my 3010 ceiling mounted about 13' back from a 110" screen and while watching Thor in 3D and even Hulk in blu ray it often skips frames at parts where the film is fast moving, like the sequences are rushed and a little blurred.

Is it a projector flaw, setup flaw, or setting flaw? Or a little of each? Any help would be appreciated.

It's a flaw , my guess would be perhaps with the PS3 not properly decoding the video on the blue ray fast enough. I haven't seen this so far yet though and I have a similar setup You might want to check your connections to make sure they are in tight.

(2003 - 2011)

Est. 2011
post #727 of 2004 Old 11-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stansell View Post

It's a flaw , my guess would be perhaps with the PS3 not properly decoding the video on the blue ray fast enough. I haven't seen this so far yet though and I have a similar setup You might want to check your connections to make sure they are in tight.

why would you think its a flaw in the PJ ? looks more like source issue....if this is repeatable you may want to disable 3D on the PJ and see if helps OR try the same on another TV.
post #728 of 2004 Old 11-18-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:

why would you think its a flaw in the PJ ? looks more like source issue....if this is repeatable you may want to disable 3D on the PJ and see if helps OR try the same on another TV.

I thought it could be a flaw in the PJ because I've never seen it after years of using my ps3 to play blurays on a plasma. It only happens when the frames are moving rapidly, like action sequences.

Im not ruling out the ps3...it's the first generation from 06' or whatever.
post #729 of 2004 Old 11-18-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:

I thought it could be a flaw in the PJ because I've never seen it after years of using my ps3 to play blurays on a plasma. It only happens when the frames are moving rapidly, like action sequences.

Im not ruling out the ps3...it's the first generation from 06' or whatever.

Does your plasma do 3D? If not, then the PS3 could still be at fault since that is a lot more video to process than just 2D content. If the plasma does do 3D, then you might try playing the movies on there to see if there are similar issues .

(2003 - 2011)

Est. 2011
post #730 of 2004 Old 11-18-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:

Try you're settings on the PS3 and if your going through a receiver check there. See if they're decoding the signal to 1080p60? Switch it to "Auto" or "Passthrough".
I think for Blu Ray's it should be transmitting in 1080p24, but I could be wrong.
Mine was doing something like that and it turned out to be the receiver.
It's perfect now!
post #731 of 2004 Old 11-19-2011, 08:49 AM

after reading this I am now leaning towards epson over optoma as I plan to have 150" screen and I can use all the light I can.
I have a question about placement. I have two placement options at 15' away from the screen (ceiling mount) or 18' away on high shelf behind seating bally up. I know mounting closer will give me a little bit more light but how about sharpness and PQ? which is better?
post #732 of 2004 Old 11-19-2011, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx3gma View Post

after reading this I am now leaning towards epson over optoma as I plan to have 150" screen and I can use all the light I can.
I have a question about placement. I have two placement options at 15' away from the screen (ceiling mount) or 18' away on high shelf behind seating bally up. I know mounting closer will give me a little bit more light but how about sharpness and PQ? which is better?

sorry not to answer you original questions, but I wish I got a gray screen to really take advantage of the super bright 3010 for ambient light or non-batcave protection of the blacks.
post #733 of 2004 Old 11-19-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzul View Post

Try you're settings on the PS3 and if your going through a receiver check there. See if they're decoding the signal to 1080p60? Switch it to "Auto" or "Passthrough".
I think for Blu Ray's it should be transmitting in 1080p24, but I could be wrong.
Mine was doing something like that and it turned out to be the receiver.
It's perfect now!

I set the ps3 1080p24 for both ON and OFF and it gave an error message that the video cannot be played. The only way it worked is when it was set to automatic.
post #734 of 2004 Old 11-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

I am re-watching all my 3D collection (that I watched on HD33) and I am very glad to report that 3D on 3010 is just as gratifying as it was on HD33.

Some of these include: Tron, Guardians, Cloudy, Stepup, Tangled, Grandcanyon, Legends, Gnomeo

Yes HD33 is different from 3010, each shines in its own right, but in the end they both have started a revolution....affordable, 100+inch, 1080p high quality 3D. May be I am biased a bit towards 3010 as its the one I own now, but I think by making it super bright and adding built in speakers, free glasses and other nice extra features...3010 has made PJ world that much more accessible to novice/non-videophile customers like myself who dont have the ability to build a dedicated batcave.

I really hope that words gets out and majority of customers who blindly buy a 3DTV see what better options they have with these PJs !

This is my other wish....3D PJ's embrace passive glasses to make it even more affordable....I can see how easily DLP technology can adopt passive 3D by just using a second wheel that alternates between L/R circular polarization...or convert each half of 6x color wheel to polarized lenses....or both LCD/DLP can use active shutter on the lens itself like the True3D product that costs over $1k now.
post #735 of 2004 Old 11-19-2011, 01:57 PM

I'm thinking about returning my 3010. I came from a DLP Mitsubishi HD1000U and the picture just looks weird on the 3010. For example, white areas of the screen have a strange shimmer. Certain scenes cause a pixelation type effect, where I can see strange digitizing type behavior.

I'll play around with the projector for another week before I make a decision. I'm not totally sold on 3D either... I watched a few 3D movies on FIOS on demand (Shrek 4, Clash of The Titans, Owl's of Gahoole, and Megamind) and I feel like my eyes are tired after the movie and the clunky glasses just make the experience not that amazing.

If I return it, it won't be for the HD33... I'll probably get a very nice 2D projector such as the BenQ W6000.
post #736 of 2004 Old 11-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imblind View Post

I'm thinking about returning my 3010. I came from a DLP Mitsubishi HD1000U and the picture just looks weird on the 3010. For example, white areas of the screen have a strange shimmer. Certain scenes cause a pixelation type effect, where I can see strange digitizing type behavior.

I'll play around with the projector for another week before I make a decision. I'm not totally sold on 3D either... I watched a few 3D movies on FIOS on demand (Shrek 4, Clash of The Titans, Owl's of Gahoole, and Megamind) and I feel like my eyes are tired after the movie and the clunky glasses just make the experience not that amazing.

If I return it, it won't be for the HD33... I'll probably get a very nice 2D projector such as the BenQ W6000.

Sorry to hear your experience....if you don't care for 3D, you are paying unnecessary premium on both these PJs.

But before you give up on 3D, I highly recommend trying 3D blurays as these PJ's shine the best with clean material. Good Luck.
post #737 of 2004 Old 11-19-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:

Sorry to hear your experience....if you don't care for 3D, you are paying unnecessary premium on both these PJs.

But before you give up on 3D, I highly recommend trying 3D blurays as these PJ's shine the best with clean material. Good Luck.

On top of all that, I can hear the iris going "brr brrrr" when it's adjusting in between commercials etc. Kind of annoying.
post #738 of 2004 Old 11-19-2011, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

On top of all that, I can hear the iris going "brr brrrr" when it's adjusting in between commercials etc. Kind of annoying.

If you get the w6000, the iris on it is high pitched and audible.
Also make sure to watch/preview a black & white movie like Sin City to see if the RBE effects you. The W6000 is sharp but noisy(grainy) but it can be tweaked. Requires a lot of time though to get it right but I would check for rainbows first before spending to much time tweaking PQ.

post #739 of 2004 Old 11-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This definitely sounds like an "early unit" that even Art commented about....my 1st unit had the same issue...very annoying and audible IRIS.

on my replacement 3010, the IRIS is very very quiet.
post #740 of 2004 Old 11-19-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:

sorry not to answer you original questions, but I wish I got a gray screen to really take advantage of the super bright 3010 for ambient light or non-batcave protection of the blacks.

yea that is why I also think High Power screen will not be necessary for me and good al white matte will have to do.

Can anyone comment on how pq will be effected by moving pg front to back?
So using the zoom on 3010 how will it change sharpness and pq?
post #741 of 2004 Old 11-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

yea that is why I also think High Power screen will not be necessary for me and good al white matte will have to do.

I am saying get a high contrast gray screen with 0.8 gain so blacks will be really black....that is if you don't have a batcave or ambient light as the room will be flooded with light from this PJ

I for one didn't find the PQ affected by distance...but one of the owners claims that max or min zoom give maximum sharpness....will try this out some time
post #742 of 2004 Old 11-19-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast View Post

amazon doesnt pay for return shipping, why do people always say this? it seems everyone has just fallen into the trap of believing what they read on the internet. Amazon only pays for return shipping if the item is faulty (not liking it != faulty) or they sent you the wrong item.

I bought sunglasses last year on amazon and they didn't fit. They paid for my return shipping and gave me a full refund. Maybe they changed their policy or maybe it depends on the product category?
post #743 of 2004 Old 11-19-2011, 08:27 PM

Swapped my 3010 yesterday for another. MAJOR improvement!!! Finally unboxed and installed it this evening (spent all day running rear speakers, dedicated power for the pj, etc).

Almost perfect convegence (at 16' from screen, 160" diag at the moment), no more blurry menus, etc. Doesn't matter how far in or out I zoom, convergence is now excellent. (if I look closely it's not PERFECT, but that's only if I'm right at the scree within less than 1 foot and even then not bad). Infinitely better than before.

Also auto iris is VERY quiet now, hardly hear it.

Improved all the way around.

BTW yesterday I posted the batch numbers from my older and newer one. Seems obvious from the numbers and others reports that the later batches seemed to address the issues.
e
BTW wonder if we should start a thread to track 3010 batch numbers that do or do not have a problem. Might help those looking to purchase a 3010, especially in a local store.

I
post #744 of 2004 Old 11-19-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hraynor View Post

Swapped my 3010 yesterday for another. MAJOR improvement!!! Finally unboxed and installed it this evening (spent all day running rear speakers, dedicated power for the pj, etc).

Almost perfect convegence (at 16' from screen, 160" diag at the moment), no more blurry menus, etc. Doesn't matter how far in or out I zoom, convergence is now excellent. (if I look closely it's not PERFECT, but that's only if I'm right at the scree within less than 1 foot and even then not bad). Infinitely better than before.

Also auto iris is VERY quiet now, hardly hear it.

Improved all the way around.

BTW yesterday I posted the batch numbers from my older and newer one. Seems obvious from the numbers and others reports that the later batches seemed to address the issues.
e
BTW wonder if we should start a thread to track 3010 batch numbers that do or do not have a problem. Might help those looking to purchase a 3010, especially in a local store.

I

What are the before and after batch numbers?
post #745 of 2004 Old 11-20-2011, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Been playing around with some of the 3D channels on DirecTV since I bought this projector a few weeks ago, but tonight I watched my first 3D bluray - Narnia, the Voyage of the Dawn Treader. This was probably the best MOVIE experience I've ever had with 3D and the Epson did a fantastic job.

I've gone to the theater to see a handful of films in 3D over the past two years but usually I don't think it was worth the extra money. This was one of only two times where I thought the 3D effects really enhanced and added something to the experience. (The other time was Jackass 3D in the theater! lol)

When you consider the price tag on this thing, this projector is just a great buy. I'm very happy with the 2D image, I love that it has speakers built in so I can use those for casual tv viewing instead of always firing up the HT, and now I can say that the 3D is really solid. I don't know how anyone could be disappointed with this unit considering the cost.

post #746 of 2004 Old 11-20-2011, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
sorry guys, asking a direct question without looking into all posts in this thread. Can you all post your experiences as to use of 3010. Is it a trouble free projector or have some issues. Has anyone faced any defect after opening the box?

Actually i live outside US and going to buy one but here in my country this model is not available and hence no service, so before i buy i want to know from you guys/gals that is this projector is trouble free or require service center? Thanks for your advise.
post #747 of 2004 Old 11-20-2011, 07:39 AM

Picked up a 3010 at BB.

This is my 2nd 3010, after having returned one a few weeks ago after "auto iris errors". This box had obviously been opened and run, the lamp showed 24 hours, the glasses had the plastic-bit removed that prevents battery use. Perhaps they had run it for in-store demos or something. Anyways convergence and iris noise both fine. I think I am giving up on waiting for the 5010 to be "that good" and will just run this 3010 for a year or two and have a great "first projector" and find UberPJ later.

P.S. Found a 12% off coupon code on internet. There's also a "gift card" coupon that can be combined with it, amounting to a $130 gift card as a bonus. Search and you'll find them without much difficulty. It's best if you PRINT THEM and make sure to highlight the cashier instructions at the very bottom lines, as the cashiers ordinarily do not know what to do with these things and fumble around sorting it out.
post #748 of 2004 Old 11-20-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

The only effect of moving the projector front to back will be in the brightness. The closer you mount the projector, adjusting the zoom to fill the screen, will give a brighter picture. Most of us do not push the projector to the fullest extreme in either direction so we have a little bit of adjustment available just in case. Other aspects of picture quality such as sharpness, color saturation, and convergence should be exactly the same wherever you place the projector within its zoom range.

If someone sees a difference in sharpness at different points along the zoom range, that would indicate a defective zoom lens, and the projector would be exchanged under warranty.
post #749 of 2004 Old 11-20-2011, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifecast2020 View Post

The page where I found my BB coupon it offered $130 gift certificate, regular or sale price, didn't matter, just any sale over $1000. I had no problem. The tax turned out to be $133, so I just actually only paid $3! Things normally don't go so smooth with me, so I was very pleased and now have more of a fondness for Best Buy then I ever did.

I found the $130 gift card coupon and am wondering if you need to be a "Rewards" or Premier Club member or any such thing to use it? What I'm asking is there any special requirement to qualify for it or is it good for average Joe consumer. The only thing I can see is it is that it can't be used for sale items (the 3010 isnt on sale now, lucky me) and several other mfgs are listed but not Epson. Anyone that KNOWS for sure???
Thanks much!

Ed

I guess what got me wondering is that is says "Show your phone" and code to cashier at the top of the coupon. What's up with that???
post #750 of 2004 Old 11-20-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

I found the $130 gift card coupon and am wondering if you need to be a "Rewards" or Premier Club member or any such thing to use it.....
I guess what got me wondering is that is says "Show your phone" and code to cashier at the top of the coupon. What's up with that???

They can "join you" at checkout time, it's just another rewards/dividends thing like every large chain has these days. "Show your phone" is just a convenience that the ads are formatted for display on a smartphone. I find it more convenient to PRINT IT and highlight the part at the bottom with cashier instructions. Odds are you are going to get the new hire who has no idea how to process a coupon code, and reading that text off a smartphone screen is too much to ask.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010e Full Hd 1080p 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector With Integrated Spe , Projectors
Gear in this thread - 3010e by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page