My Epson 3010 projector just arrived! - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 2003 Old 11-23-2011, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
heres a nice blog that may help with the 3010 extreme brightness.

http://tw3200.blogspot.com/2011/03/e...djustment.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2003 Old 11-24-2011, 05:01 AM

Hey guys,
I am looking for a hdmi 1.4 splitter to split the output of my onkyo hdmi1.4 receiver to the 3DTV AND the Epson tw6000w 3D-projector.. I have been searching for it for a while now, and it's really hard to find one! I bought one for 70 euros and it claims to support 3d (no talk of hdmi 1.4, though), but it doesn't.

..help!

Thanx!
post #813 of 2003 Old 11-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Guys

you may already know this, I found a cool solution to the IR clobbering of remotes when 3010 is in 3D mode

on 3010 menu you can enable the HDMI-link that allows you t control the Bluray player with your 3010 remote (which surprisingly doenst get clobbered in 3D mode)...Plus i love the fact that its backlit unlike my stupid Samsung 6700 remote
post #814 of 2003 Old 11-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1969 View Post

heres a nice blog that may help with the 3010 extreme brightness.

http://tw3200.blogspot.com/2011/03/e...djustment.html

from 3010 user manual it says that you cant use "HDMI Expanded" when super white is ON ? not sure how the above reviewer got both of them working together !

EPSON Super White
Note: This setting can be used only when the signal is input through the HDMI 1 or HDMI 2
ports with the Color Mode set to Natural or Cinema (see page 32).
If bright parts of the image are washed out or overexposed (when the input signal
contains values over 100 IRE), turn this setting on to compensate.
■ HDMI Video Range
Note: This setting can be used only when HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 is selected as the image source
(see page 22). This setting cannot be used when the Color Mode is set to Auto (see page 32)
or Epson Super White is set to On.
If your video equipment has an HDMI port and you've connected it to the projector
using an HDMI cable, set the level of the projector to match that of the video equipment.
post #815 of 2003 Old 11-25-2011, 04:33 AM

So........do I get the Epson 8700UB.........or the Epson 3010.....????????

Need some help here...!!
post #816 of 2003 Old 11-25-2011, 01:23 PM

Hey,

i want to setup a passive full hd 3d home theater using 2 projectors.

can i use the epson 3010.

pls advice.
post #817 of 2003 Old 11-25-2011, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by pevco View Post

So........do I get the Epson 8700UB.........or the Epson 3010.....????????

Need some help here...!!

If you don't want/need 3D and have a bat cave for a room, then get the 8700ub.
If you are going to use the projector in a living room with windows/moderate ambient light, get the 3010.

post #818 of 2003 Old 11-28-2011, 04:08 AM

I want to buy the European equivalent to 3010...
Could you please summarize the problems of this model??? I must buy one projector now and I wanted to buy this...but I am not sure if it is a good decission.

What about the noise? Is the iris so noisy??? Another bad things??
post #819 of 2003 Old 11-28-2011, 04:22 AM

Okay.....I ordered the Epson 3010.

Can someone post there calibration settings to use as a guide .
Maybe someone has done this already but I can't find the post.
post #820 of 2003 Old 11-28-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pevco View Post

Okay.....I ordered the Epson 3010.

Can someone post there calibration settings to use as a guide .
Maybe someone has done this already but I can't find the post.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...alibration.php
post #821 of 2003 Old 11-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

May be its time to start an Official Owners Thread as there are too many threads on 3010 !

I have yet to tray 75% calibration, but before going there I would appreciate your expert opinions on what I have so far

First Time Calibrator needs your expert opinions
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post21269031
post #822 of 2003 Old 11-28-2011, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walther64 View Post

Hey,

pls advice.

For a 2 projector passive 3D system it is much easier to use projectors that have lens shift, in order to get the closest match between the 2 projectors. Also, with 2 projectors you will have plenty of brightness, so you would not need all the extra brightness of two 3010s. I am not sure whether the three colors projected by the 3010 all have the same orientation of polarization as is required for a passive 3D rig, but even if the 3010 did, you could find better and cheaper solutions with other projectors. Blackshark gives a ton of info about this in his thread.
post #823 of 2003 Old 11-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey,

pls advice.

This may be cheaper option

http://www.tru3d.com/Complete_Systems/All_In_One_3D.php
post #824 of 2003 Old 11-28-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:

Hey,

pls advice.

I'm curious for your reason for a passive solution rather than a single active 3D projector. The only reason I can think of is to eliminate flicker caused by the shutter glasses. Otherwise, the only other advantage to a passive system would be the ability to use inexpensive passive glasses and perhaps some brightness advantage . I'm pretty sure the cost of a second projector, special screen, outboard 3d processor would counter any glasses cost savings.
I'd also be worried that a passive system might be more susceptible to cross talk due to ineffective polarizing filters. Plus I wonder how you keep the two projectors working at the same calibration level. When watching 2D content, do you use both projectors so that the bulbs age the same, or do you alternate and track hours?

So, if flicker is the main concern, I'd give a single 3010 a try first. I thought flicker would be something that would bother me based on viewing active 3D TVs in the store, but it is not an issue with my 3010. The switching rate is so fast with these projectors that you really have to dart your eyes fast to see it. My guess will be you will be so impressed that you'll quickly forget about going through all the trouble if setting up a passive system .
post #825 of 2003 Old 11-28-2011, 05:42 PM

What ceiling mount are you guys using?
post #826 of 2003 Old 11-28-2011, 08:18 PM

Follow-up to my Epson support experience. For those just joining in - I got a 3010 from Best Buy mid October and began having auto iris errors. I called Epson and they said they would send out a replacement. Unfortunately the replacement took a few days longer than the standard overnight shipping because they were out of stock. When I did get the replacement - it had the noisy iris problem of Art's first review unit and that some others have reported and had replaced. I waited a week to call support because of the holiday - and hope that the sound would work itself out and it has not.

So - I called support tonight. After a few questions, it was determined that the noisy iris was indeed a defect and they are sending me another replacement unit. I should be getting the replacement on Wednesday if all goes well.

The support guy did politely let me know that I should call them as soon as I notice a problem so they can track down any issues with their stock.

At first I thought -well - that noise isn't too bad. But as I write this - I noticed that I can actually hear the projector's iris in the next room around 30 feet away from me. My original projector's iris was a totally different and much quieter sound. It was a very quiet "chirping auto-focus" type sound, this one is a noisy "grinding hard drive" like sound. At times I found myself thinking the projector was actually loading up the next video clip from a hard drive when the screen went dark between clips.

I'll post a follow-up when my replacement gets here. Also to be clear. Even though I have had some issues with two units - I have nothing but praise for the video quality of this projector. It really does a great job with 2D and an amazing job with 3D video. Also, Epson's service and replacement policy is probably easier than Best Buy for me : FEDEX is much closer -and I don't want to step anywhere near a Best Buy at this time of year.
post #827 of 2003 Old 11-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stansell View Post

Follow-up to my Epson support experience. For those just joining in - I got a 3010 from Best Buy mid October and began having auto iris errors. I called Epson and they said they would send out a replacement. Unfortunately the replacement took a few days longer than the standard overnight shipping because they were out of stock. When I did get the replacement - it had the noisy iris problem of Art's first review unit and that some others have reported and had replaced. I waited a week to call support because of the holiday - and hope that the sound would work itself out and it has not.

So - I called support tonight. After a few questions, it was determined that the noisy iris was indeed a defect and they are sending me another replacement unit. I should be getting the replacement on Wednesday if all goes well.

The support guy did politely let me know that I should call them as soon as I notice a problem so they can track down any issues with their stock.

At first I thought -well - that noise isn't too bad. But as I write this - I noticed that I can actually hear the projector's iris in the next room around 30 feet away from me. My original projector's iris was a totally different and much quieter sound. It was a very quiet "chirping auto-focus" type sound, this one is a noisy "grinding hard drive" like sound. At times I found myself thinking the projector was actually loading up the next video clip from a hard drive when the screen went dark between clips.

I'll post a follow-up when my replacement gets here. Also to be clear. Even though I have had some issues with two units - I have nothing but praise for the video quality of this projector. It really does a great job with 2D and an amazing job with 3D video. Also, Epson's service and replacement policy is probably easier than Best Buy for me : FEDEX is much closer -and I don't want to step anywhere near a Best Buy at this time of year.

thanks for sharing your experience

i too am very happy with my replacement 3010.....however i am a little ticked off with epson for dropping ball on Quality Control....but I feel relieved when I think of their CS !

some times I miss the DLP POP in 2D but every time I watch 3D with abundance lumens and superior color, I am smiling again !
post #828 of 2003 Old 11-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

May be its time to start an Official Owners Thread as there are too many threads on 3010 !

I have yet to tray 75% calibration, but before going there I would appreciate your expert opinions on what I have so far

First Time Calibrator needs your expert opinions
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post21269031

I found something interesting about 2D factory calibration on 3010....not sure if anyone else has seen this same behavior:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post21271981
post #829 of 2003 Old 11-29-2011, 08:27 AM

So its been a bit over a week since I swapped out my 3010 (which had a lens defect as well as an iris that kept getting noisier), and wanted to provide an update.

Overall, still very happy with swapping it out. iris (even on high speed) is almost unnoticeable, even with audio off.

Don't seem to have the problem I did before with image being blurrier as zoomed in or out (yes, with focusing in between). Definitely was a lens flaw on the previous one (which I could actually visibly see by looking into the lens).

That said, the new one, visibly looking into the lens, does appear to have a faint line in the lens, apparently on the inside. Might just be me, but I noticed this on the prior one too (that said, the defects I mentioned seeing on the lens of the first 3010 were actually dots, wasn't referring to this). Wonder if anyone else sees this (PJ on, with a constant screen - probably the calibration screen is the best - the blue one)?

In addition, on further look, the convergence isn't perfect, though not that bad. On the menu screen, slight green tint on the left of the letter edges, slight red on the right, and very slight blue below. Only see this under 12" from the screen though (at 160" projected). You can BARELY see this on the "Pattern" screen if you look VERY closely.

That said, as I doubt I can find a perfect convergence on a 3010, I most likely will live with it. Hasn't bothered me at all in actual usage (though will have to do more tests with 3D to make sure).

I'll post some pics on this to get opinions on whether this is too much "out of convergence", but again, think I'll probably stick with it.

Overall very satisfied. Initially mounted projector on ceiling expecting to go with a 120" screen (about 12" off center of room on purpose due to seating on the left side), but after seeing what it was like projecting a 160" screen, have decided to keep it that large (especially great with XBox Kinect).

That said, since I have the PJ mounted off center, I had to tilt it to the left, ever so slightly getting the keystone effect (probably about 1/2 - 3/4 inch top to bottom), and have keystone correction off. Actually wasn't anywhere near as bad as I would have thought it would be. Eventually I'll probably move the mount a bit to the left so I don't have to do this (at least not as much), but frankly I doubt anyone would notice, I can hardly tell it, but that was only since I was looking for it). On the pattern test, this appears to make the far extreme right side of the screen just a slight bit out of focus when everything else is in focus, but have never seen any affects on the movie. But can always be fixed with the remount (about 90 minutes of my time I'd guestimate, other than patching the holes in the ceiling for where it is now).

Also - I will say that I now DO see ghosting in 3D, though ONLY on the menu. And interestingly enough, ONLY in the LEFT eye (ie: closing my right eye with the glasses on). When closing my left eye, no ghosting whatsoever.

Anyone else noticed this? ie: that the ghosting is only in one eye versus the other? I would have thought it would have been shared between the two.

Watching a 3D movie this has never been a problem. Alice in Wonderland is incredible in 3D. (one of only 2 3D movies I have currently, other than the Sony BR 3D demos, so I don't have much to compare to yet).

BTW - since the topic of lag comes up a lot, I've found no issues with playing the various Kinect games - they actually seem LESS laggy in many aspects. This is most likely due to having the bigger screen (and telling the Xbox the screen size, which presumably it uses to affect the "play area" for your movements, seems very obvious that this changes when you change this value). Having such a large screen (or having the Xbox told that you have a larger screen) seems to make everything seem more natural than trying to play Kinect games on a 42" screen (Dance Central game just seems to be so much easier to grasp).

Of course, I know that the typical Kinect game is no measurement for the projector lag at all - the Kinect adds enough lag itself. :-) And a lot different than multiplayer games, but point is that since our primary use of the projector for "gaming" is the Kinect for kids and such (and the occassional "non-online" shooter for me), I think it meets the need very well.

So, overall very happy with the 3010.

Just ordered a new receiver (Pioneer 1021) and speakers (Polk RM95s), so now ready for the audio pop in addition to the visual one once everything come in (currently using a 15 year old sony, and old speakers - still sounds incredible, but ready to go from 5.1 to 7.1). :-)
post #830 of 2003 Old 11-29-2011, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelens View Post

I've played Gears of War 3 in 3D, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and a few other games on the 360 hooked up to the 3010 and haven't noticed any issues. Why would I want something else as a gamer?

If you haven't noticed the lag, then you probably don't have anything to worry about. The jury is still out on if all of the 3010s have the same lag, or if I maybe just had a bad one. I measured the lag on mine to be over 100ms, which sounds bad- But I could really tell it messed with my ability to play some high speed games. Since I had some other weird issues with my 3010, I'm hoping other people will do more objective tests with their 3010s and tell me that mine had about twice as much lag as it should have had.

Do you have access to Rock Band 2 or 3 and an autocalibrating guitar?
post #831 of 2003 Old 11-29-2011, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey,

pls advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickMcKaha View Post

For a 2 projector passive 3D system it is much easier to use projectors that have lens shift, in order to get the closest match between the 2 projectors. Also, with 2 projectors you will have plenty of brightness, so you would not need all the extra brightness of two 3010s. I am not sure whether the three colors projected by the 3010 all have the same orientation of polarization as is required for a passive 3D rig, but even if the 3010 did, you could find better and cheaper solutions with other projectors. Blackshark gives a ton of info about this in his thread.

Not sure if this is the exact thread that Trick meant, but this is a good start: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1280393

I have to agree, I wouldn't buy this projector (x2) for passive 3D. I guess it's nice that it can isolate either the right or the left eye on its own, without a 3DXL or equivalent, but you'll really miss the lens shift. And you're paying a bit of a premium for the active 3D which you'll "never" use.

But a word on the brightness- passive displays lose so much light on the alter of the filter gods... that I think this projector's brightness would actually be pretty decent for passive 3D. And there are options for PJs that don't have unified polarity too.
post #832 of 2003 Old 11-29-2011, 11:06 AM

I took delivery of my 3010 last Friday. It is my first projector and I am nothing but crazy impressed. I'm reading as much as I can on the forum about ghosting, crosstalk and all that so I can figure out what everyone's talking about, but from a newbie perspective, I am loving it. I bought several 3D movies, and so far have only been able to watch the 3D version of Polar Express and the 3D IMAX Grand Canyon DVD.In fact, there's a particular scene where they are white water rafting that really makes me glad I went with a 3D projector. I've also watched hockey and the Grey Cup on it in 2D, and even with ambient light, the projector shines. The only concern I have is the non-availability of Epson glasses. I may have to try out other glasses recommended on the forum. But as far as I'm concerned. Great purchase!
post #833 of 2003 Old 11-29-2011, 05:09 PM

I hope someone with a color meter and right tools for a proper calibration....will post their settings in this thread...I've tried projector reviews settings ...that is for basic settings......
PLEASE DONT TELL ME I NEED TO DO THE CALIBRATION MYSELF..OK

I AND MANY OTHERS HAVE USED OTHER PEOPLES SETTINGS AS A BEGINNING POINT AND MAKE ADJUSTMENTS FROM THEIR

THERES TONS OF SHARED PICYURE SETTINGS ON THIS FORUM...INCLUDING TVS AND PJS

I HAVE A BATCAVE..SHOOTING ON A 1.1 WHITE 120" SCREEN....I CANT GET BLACKS BLACK ENOUGH..THIS PJ IS JUST A HAIR TO BRIGHT.
post #834 of 2003 Old 11-29-2011, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hraynor View Post

That said, the new one, visibly looking into the lens, does appear to have a faint line in the lens, apparently on the inside. Might just be me, but I noticed this on the prior one too (that said, the defects I mentioned seeing on the lens of the first 3010 were actually dots, wasn't referring to this). Wonder if anyone else sees this (PJ on, with a constant screen - probably the calibration screen is the best - the blue one)?

I took some pictures of my earlier 3010 lens and I saw these black markings around the edge of the lens....I see this in my replacement PJ as well....not sure what the hell they are but dont seem to have any affect that I can perceive

Quote:

In addition, on further look, the convergence isn't perfect, though not that bad. On the menu screen, slight green tint on the left of the letter edges, slight red on the right, and very slight blue below. Only see this under 12" from the screen though (at 160" projected). You can BARELY see this on the "Pattern" screen if you look VERY closely.

That said, as I doubt I can find a perfect convergence on a 3010, I most likely will live with it. Hasn't bothered me at all in actual usage (though will have to do more tests with 3D to make sure).

same here...both of the 3010's I tried had this misconvergence...the replacement one is slightly better but I dont notice it unless I am really right next to the screen

Quote:

Also - I will say that I now DO see ghosting in 3D, though ONLY on the menu. And interestingly enough, ONLY in the LEFT eye (ie: closing my right eye with the glasses on). When closing my left eye, no ghosting whatsoever.

Anyone else noticed this? ie: that the ghosting is only in one eye versus the other? I would have thought it would have been shared between the two.

Watching a 3D movie this has never been a problem. Alice in Wonderland is incredible in 3D. (one of only 2 3D movies I have currently, other than the Sony BR 3D demos, so I don't have much to compare to yet).

I rarely notice any ghosting in the movies themselves...but do see it slightly in titles or menus....not enough to bother me.....the brightness and colors more than compensates with this minor drawback
post #835 of 2003 Old 11-30-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:

same here...both of the 3010's I tried had this misconvergence...the replacement one is slightly better but I dont notice it unless I am really right next to the screen

Funny as on the prior one I didn't see a misconvergence per se, just a very distinct white band up and to the left of the letters in the menus (ie: like it was terribly focused, though I did focus it as best as possible), but not so much red, green, blue out of convergence. (or perhaps it was still there to some degree, but the lens defect created a different larger issue).

New one is MUCH better overall and very acceptable though I've finally decided. I don't plan on sitting 12" from the screen, so in reality would never see it. :-)

Quote:

I rarely notice any ghosting in the movies themselves...but do see it slightly in titles or menus....not enough to bother me.....the brightness and colors more than compensates with this minor drawback

I saw it in both the standard Epson menu (actually quite a bit to the left of where the initial item was) and in the menu for the Alice 3D blue ray. So far its only been with high contrast (black on white or vice versa). While in the Epson menu it only appeared in the left eye, on the Alice BR it was in both, though perhaps I was wearing the other pair of glasses (wonder if this is a glasses issue or not).

That said, I didn't clean the glasses, though they weren't particularly dirty. Will try this.

But like you said, it doesn't bother me at all during the movie, and I haven't seen any hint of it there. Alice in Wonderland has some very good 3D scenes, and I just love how this projector does with 3D in dark scenes. Can see into the shadows, etc VERY well.

I will say that the first 15 minutes or so of watching it doesn't seem quite as clear, though after the first 15 minutes it really pops. Probably just my eyes adjusting to the glasses.

Last night after I watched about an hour of 3D and went downstairs, I did notice my vision was a bit blurry trying to focus on details just walking around the house. Cleared up after about 15 minutes. Guess my eyes adjusting back (and I was a bit tired, so I'm sure this had something to do with the effect).

I've heard that the 3D gets better (and side effects less) the more you watch, probably due to the brain just figuring out how to interpret everything. No headaches though whatsoever for me, unlike 3D in the theatres.
post #836 of 2003 Old 11-30-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

I've used Schedule 40 PVC Pipe and Threaded Couplings many times, with PJ's weighing up to 40 lbs and drops up to 36".

Properly assembled, it would take not a "hard" bump...but a terrific slam or or ceiling collapse to break the PVC pipe or break and Coupling at the Threaded Union.. This is highly unlikely to happen once the PJ is mounted, and if it did there would be more to be worried about than the PJ falling down.

Like breaking the neck of whoever hit the assembly with a 16lb Sledge Hammer

Just happened to see this reply when searching for 3D glass options for the 3010. :-)

I totally agree with the above.

I'm actually using about a 32" piece of PVC (with a male and female threaded adapters) into an angled ceiling mount on one end, and into an adjustable metal extension pipe to the PJ mount. Works great. Had it mounted this way for coming up on 3 weeks now I think. NO issue with the PJ drifting at all during movie watching.

To match the color, first wiped down the PVC with paint thinner and then used black plastic spray paint (must use the special paint for plastic or else you'll have problems with adherence).

Also drilled a small hole into the end of the female threaded PVC connector to put a set screw in (and used the other set screw in the metal pipe) to ensure that it doesn't unscrew itself (not much chance, but just in case).

I will admit that when adjusting the zoom or focus on the PJ it shivers for a couple of seconds (slight), probably in part due to the PVC (which is in total dropping about 5 foot from the ceiling), but imagine I'd have some of that with a straight metal pipe as well with shuch a big drop.

BTW - I'd definitely recommend using Schedule 40 PVC (the kind typically used for water inside the house, generally white in the US) instead of the thing Schedule 20 (sometimes called 1120), etc. Schedule 40 (especially at 1 1/2") is virtually impossible to break without GREAT effort. The thinner stuff (like they often use for P traps under your sink) is VERY brittle and I definitely would not use that. Some conduit (gray stuff) is a bit thinner as well.

Biggest concern is to make sure you glue the adapters on appropriately. Make sure you use a good primer (I use the purple primer) first on both the pipe and the adapter, let it dry (30 seconds), and then put a good amount of PVC glue (not CPVC) on both the pipe and connector (wiping off excess). If you don't use TOO much glue, it should be a firm bond in under 60 seconds (though for safety, I'd probably give it an hour - overkill, but just for safety with an expensive projector).
post #837 of 2003 Old 11-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

But like you said, it doesn't bother me at all during the movie, and I haven't seen any hint of it there. Alice in Wonderland has some very good 3D scenes, and I just love how this projector does with 3D in dark scenes. Can see into the shadows, etc VERY well.

last night I played Uncharted 3 in 3D and 2D

in 2D the colors are stunning and on 120" you feel like you are chasing Drake

in 3D, the resolution drops but the effect is stunning and very satisfying with a lot of depth....and with ZERO ghosting......felt the image was a bit dark even with the great lumen output...which tells me it will look very dark in other PJ's out there
post #838 of 2003 Old 11-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Hi 3010 owners

have some Q's on some imtersting points i noticed in the user manual: http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/p...plhc3010ug.pdf

Page19: When you connect an HDMI cable to the projector, it is recommended that you fasten it
with the included cable clip. Follow these steps to install the cable clip:

why do you need the cable clip ?

Page 25: Your projector automatically adjusts images that are wider at the top or bottom, but if
necessary, you can also use the vertical keystone buttons on the projector to correct this.

Does this mean the PJ is doing some automatic V-shift ? will this cause degradation ? if so, is there a way to disable it ?

Page 45: 3D Brightness - Adjusts the brightness of 3D images. Select the Medium or High settings if the 3D
display is too dark.

will this setting tradeoff brightness with ghosting....in other words is this same one on 5010 as described PJcentral (copied below) ?

The Home Cinema 5010 3D Brightness changes the timing of the 3D glasses to make the picture brighter or dimmer, but be aware that increasing brightness will also increase crosstalk. The projector defaults to "Low," which exhibits the least crosstalk. The projector has an internal IR emitter, but can also fit an external emitter if desired.

Page62: Your projector includes an air filter to ensure the best performance. If dust collects on the air
filter, clean it as described below. Dust clogs prevent proper ventilation and cause overheating
and damage to the projector.

How often should one clean the air filter if its floor/shelf mounted ?
post #839 of 2003 Old 11-30-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:

Hi 3010 owners

have some Q's on some imtersting points i noticed in the user manual: http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/p...plhc3010ug.pdf

Page19: When you connect an HDMI cable to the projector, it is recommended that you fasten it
with the included cable clip. Follow these steps to install the cable clip:

why do you need the cable clip ?

Best I can tell with mine is that it helps prevent the cable from being pulled out of the projector. I suppose it would also prevent stress on the HDMI jack since it is fairly rigid and keeps the cable from being pulled at an angle.

Quote:

Page 25: Your projector automatically adjusts images that are wider at the top or bottom, but if
necessary, you can also use the vertical keystone buttons on the projector to correct this.

Does this mean the PJ is doing some automatic V-shift ? will this cause degradation ? if so, is there a way to disable it ?

It is automatic keystone correction. It could cause some degradation due to scaling if you use it. It can be turned off or adjusted manually.

Quote:

Page 45: 3D Brightness - Adjusts the brightness of 3D images. Select the Medium or High settings if the 3D
display is too dark.

will this setting tradeoff brightness with ghosting....in other words is this same one on 5010 as described PJcentral (copied below) ?

The Home Cinema 5010 3D Brightness changes the timing of the 3D glasses to make the picture brighter or dimmer, but be aware that increasing brightness will also increase crosstalk. The projector defaults to "Low," which exhibits the least crosstalk. The projector has an internal IR emitter, but can also fit an external emitter if desired.

Interesting - I don't know about this. I thought it was just a difference between the bulb being in normal or eco mode and had nothing to do with the LCD timing. I'm pretty sure I've played with it in both modes - I've never noticed ghosting either way. I'll give it a try next time I have the projector on.

Quote:

Page62: Your projector includes an air filter to ensure the best performance. If dust collects on the air
filter, clean it as described below. Dust clogs prevent proper ventilation and cause overheating
and damage to the projector.

How often should one clean the air filter if its floor/shelf mounted ?

I don't know on the last one - I guess it depends on your environment. I wouldn't guess that often if it is in a somewhat clean area. My old Sony projector used to flash a message on the screen when the filter was due a cleaning.
post #840 of 2003 Old 11-30-2011, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stansell View Post

Interesting - I don't know about this. I thought it was just a difference between the bulb being in normal or eco mode and had nothing to do with the LCD timing. I'm pretty sure I've played with it in both modes - I've never noticed ghosting either way. I'll give it a try next time I have the projector on.

thanks for your responses

i checked 5010 manual and it has exactly same Medium/High setting under "Signal > 3D Setup > 3D Brightness" submenu like 3010...so i will see how it looks next time

BTW this is different from the lamp setting
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010e Full Hd 1080p 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector With Integrated Spe , Projectors
Gear in this thread - 3010e by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page