My Epson 3010 projector just arrived! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 2003 Old 10-12-2011, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
optoma hd3300 is 6x color wheel (essentially), nobody is seeing rainbows from what i undersatnd

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2003 Old 10-12-2011, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansfanatic View Post

Out of all these new comparable projectors with 3D that you mentioned, is the Epsons the only LCD? I would really prefer LCD for night sim racing games where i need more shadow detail than bright pop (plus wife extremely rainbow sensative.) Is there going to be an LCD competitor to the EPSON 3010e coming out? Thanks

Who says DLP does not do good shadow detail? Might want to look at some of the review sites and compare. Art is one of the big fans of blacks and shadow detail. He has pictures for all the units he reviews.
post #63 of 2003 Old 10-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Another option for you (does not have 3D) is the BenQ W6000. I compared it to the Epson 8700 and preferred it. Solid blacks, solid lumens, DLP pop, etc. Seeing it for sale now for under $1500 which is a great deal.

Under $1500 that is a steal. Love the picture it produces, make sure you get a good warranty.
post #64 of 2003 Old 10-13-2011, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansfanatic View Post

Out of all these new comparable projectors with 3D that you mentioned, is the Epsons the only LCD? I would really prefer LCD for night sim racing games where i need more shadow detail than bright pop (plus wife extremely rainbow sensative.) Is there going to be an LCD competitor to the EPSON 3010e coming out? Thanks

So far, no. The Epson is the only PJ in the $1500-2000 range. The Panasonic 7000 is 3D and sounds like a solid PJ, but it will cost you $3K. It uses the same 480hz panels as the Epson so it should be solid for gaming I would think.

For what it is worth, here is my take. 3D projectors, while much improved over last year, are still in the infancy stage. If you don't care about 3D you can most likely find a better or comparable projector for less money. If you want 3D you are either looking at seeping about $3K to get those deeper blacks, or sacrifice a little and spend about $1500-1600 and get a decent all around projector for 2D and 3D. I am really starting to lean towards the $1500-1600 range because I fear if I spend $3K now, there will be much better options in 18-24 months in the sub $2k range. Rather save my money and put that $1500 savings toward a new projector in 1-2 years.
post #65 of 2003 Old 10-13-2011, 05:31 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

optoma hd3300 is 6x color wheel (essentially), nobody is seeing rainbows from what i undersatnd

I just got my 33 last night and yes there still are rainbows. Definitely not something that jumps out at you all the time, but depending on the scene and how susceptible you are, you will notice them.
post #66 of 2003 Old 10-13-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekscden View Post

I just got my 33 last night and yes there still are rainbows. Definitely not something that jumps out at you all the time, but depending on the scene and how susceptible you are, you will notice them.

In the HD33/3300 thread, a few posters stated that after 100 hours of lamp life, the rainbows all but vanished for them.
post #67 of 2003 Old 10-13-2011, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Here are a couple photos of the ALCS game last night. The pictures for some unknown reason are looking a touch desaturated compared to the actual projector image which has some very vibrant colors. I intentionally over exposed one of the images. Still need to seriously calibrate the projector, there are many menus of adjustment. I'm sure that once the settings are dialed in it will be even better.

The projector is very sharp these pictures don't really it justice. The contrast to me is much better then the 8350 despite the 40k contrast number being lower. Without having an 8700 in the same room I couldn't say with any confidence that it is better then that projector.

The room this is in has lite grey walls and a white ceiling. Which is definitely not the optimal test environment, I compensated as best I could for the light walls with the HCCV screen.

In this environment for me I believe the 8700 or even 5010 would be a waste of money. My personal opinion is that the contrast is very competitive unless you're in an extremely dark theater room, and you're the person that's obsessed with contrast ratios. I much prefer the brightness that will allow for a table lamp to be on without washing out the image completely. 99% of the people that come over to watch a movie will be impressed. If the 3010 is as good as what I'm seeing, the 5010 will be even better. Though at double the price its hard for me to justify it, especially after seeing the 3010's picture quality.

The projector is very bright these pictures were taken in cinema mode. Dynamic mode out of the box is like looking at the sun. In dynamic mode even with all the table lamps in the room on, the screen is easily viewable with very watchable contrast.

In 3d mode the projector somehow gets even brighter. So bright that at one point I had to turn down the brightness even with the 3d glasses on. I had a few people over last night that were very impressed with the 3d quality. I specifically asked that everyone study the image for any type of crosstalk. No one could spot anything. They did say that in both 2d and 3d the image had a lots of depth and looked like the image was going to pop off the screen.

Unfortunately my blu-ray player started acting up and not reading disc's correctly. I'll be picking up a PS3 for 3d movies and games fairly soon. I don't currently own any 3d content or player other then, a couple Xbox games. However from what I've seen I'm very impressed with the 3d for gaming. Hopefully the cable company will get its act together and start offering more cable content for all these 3d TV's and projectors that are being sold to us consumers.

Also, I am one of the people that can pick up on the rainbow effect very easily. So a DLP for me was not an option. The Optoma was nice but I prefer the image of the Epson as well as their customer service.
LL
LL
LL
post #68 of 2003 Old 10-13-2011, 07:32 AM

Epson Makes better projectors period, I have the 8100 Epson its great, Im going to get that exchanged for the 3010 because its still has MFG Warranty and local store will exchange it out for me. So Again lets talk about Epson not optoma projectors here. I have seen hd20 and it sucks bad, So if a 3d version of that model hd33 that also will suck period. From all the reading its a upgrade version of the 8350 and 8700 model. A picture quality of both old models but 3D know Period.
post #69 of 2003 Old 10-13-2011, 07:45 AM

Just ordered mine! Trying to get it in by Saturday but who knows. Can't wait!!!
post #70 of 2003 Old 10-13-2011, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Sprocket, very nice review! I think you mentioned to me in PM that the iris was inaudible, correct? Could you double check to see if when you zoom in and out that the top of the image doesn't move? ...or at least moves minimally?

Thanks!

Current HT: HTPC-->Epson 5010 projector-->135" screen, BFM TLAHs x7 & THT
Build log: DIY rotary sub for contemporary HT in 100 year old house?
Andreas' Slow Rotary Sub build
post #71 of 2003 Old 10-13-2011, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

I specifically listened for the iris with no audio on. I had to get up pretty close to the projector to notice it. With the audio on I couldn't hear it. When fast forwarding through content, the iris moves rapidly and that would be the only time you might be able to hear it. During normal playback I couldn't hear it.

As far as the zoom goes, the whole image shrinks and expands equally around the center of the image when zooming, including the top.
post #72 of 2003 Old 10-13-2011, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the quick response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket360 View Post

As far as the zoom goes, the whole image shrinks and expands equally around the center of the image when zooming, including the top.

This doesn't make sense to me since there is supposed to be zero offset....unless you have the PJ mounted low. If that is the case, does the bottom of the image stay at the same height?

post #73 of 2003 Old 10-13-2011, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Ill take a video of the zooming for you tonight.
post #74 of 2003 Old 10-13-2011, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

You are the best. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

post #75 of 2003 Old 10-13-2011, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

good job so far buddy, what size image are you projecting again?

we shouldn't stop talking about optoma because the hd3300 is a direct competitor, even if you think they're trash, everyone has a second chance. the prelim reviews of hD3300 are stellar also.

i thikn i read the epson will probalby go into dynamic mode when it's switched to 3D, and it turns the iris off possibly?

Current Projects:
post #76 of 2003 Old 10-13-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here are a couple photos of the ALCS game last night. The pictures for some unknown reason are looking a touch desaturated compared to the actual projector image which has some very vibrant colors. I intentionally over exposed one of the images. Still need to seriously calibrate the projector, there are many menus of adjustment. I'm sure that once the settings are dialed in it will be even better.

The projector is very sharp these pictures don't really it justice. The contrast to me is much better then the 8350 despite the 40k contrast number being lower. Without having an 8700 in the same room I couldn't say with any confidence that it is better then that projector.

The room this is in has lite grey walls and a white ceiling. Which is definitely not the optimal test environment, I compensated as best I could for the light walls with the HCCV screen.

In this environment for me I believe the 8700 or even 5010 would be a waste of money. My personal opinion is that the contrast is very competitive unless you're in an extremely dark theater room, and you're the person that's obsessed with contrast ratios. I much prefer the brightness that will allow for a table lamp to be on without washing out the image completely. 99% of the people that come over to watch a movie will be impressed. If the 3010 is as good as what I'm seeing, the 5010 will be even better. Though at double the price its hard for me to justify it, especially after seeing the 3010's picture quality.

The projector is very bright these pictures were taken in cinema mode. Dynamic mode out of the box is like looking at the sun. In dynamic mode even with all the table lamps in the room on, the screen is easily viewable with very watchable contrast.

In 3d mode the projector somehow gets even brighter. So bright that at one point I had to turn down the brightness even with the 3d glasses on. I had a few people over last night that were very impressed with the 3d quality. I specifically asked that everyone study the image for any type of crosstalk. No one could spot anything. They did say that in both 2d and 3d the image had a lots of depth and looked like the image was going to pop off the screen.

Unfortunately my blu-ray player started acting up and not reading disc's correctly. I'll be picking up a PS3 for 3d movies and games fairly soon. I don't currently own any 3d content or player other then, a couple Xbox games. However from what I've seen I'm very impressed with the 3d for gaming. Hopefully the cable company will get its act together and start offering more cable content for all these 3d TV's and projectors that are being sold to us consumers.

Also, I am one of the people that can pick up on the rainbow effect very easily. So a DLP for me was not an option. The Optoma was nice but I prefer the image of the Epson as well as their customer service.

Those pictures look terrible man, but no picture really does a projector justice..I guess. It's difficult to get accurate pictures of a projector, but the color accuracy, detail, and contrast in those photos are looking bad. Step back to your seating view. Turn the lights off, turn them on cans at a time, open windows, take pictures in the same position. Use a camera instead of a phone. =)

Current Projects:
post #77 of 2003 Old 10-13-2011, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

I've never had to photograph a projector before, so there's a bit of a learning curve for me. All the lights in the room were off, the image is very bright like it tends to make the entire room bright. Plus I feel like it really needs to be calibrated. Any pointers on what ISO, exposure length, or aperture to use? Pausing broadcast TV isn't ideal for clarity either...
post #78 of 2003 Old 10-13-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:

First thanks for the initial thoughts (we need more details please )

so the only 3D content you viewed is xbox games ?

to truly make an assessment of 3D you would need to play the 1080p resolution bluray movies on PS3

could you please comment on the following

1) is there an automatic lense cover that closes when PJ is off ?

2) Do the IR glasess lose sync easily

3) how does the 2D and 3D compare to HD33(00)

4) do you motice the contrat improve in 3D mode with glasses on (as the HD33 folks claim in another thread) ?

appreciate your input !
post #79 of 2003 Old 10-13-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll look for the AVS thread on that, yes it's very difficult to take pictures of a projector image - especially because you can't use flash and many phones have terrible night-mode capabilities. For now just step back to where you're seating and hold your phone still, and repeat from the same position.

I'm still going to get one here fairly soon (I'll order within a week). The Optoma HD3300 reviews are great too though, hard to decide.

Good luck!
ELmO

Current Projects:
post #80 of 2003 Old 10-13-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Ill take a video of the zooming for you tonight.

Hi
Could you also tell us more about the horizontal keystone adjustment. Is this mechanical or electronic? If it is electronic, it may deteriorate the picture. Could you try it out and give us your views (especially if you have used lens shift on previous Epsons).

Thanks
John
post #81 of 2003 Old 10-13-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCunited View Post

Epson Makes better projectors period, I have the 8100 Epson its great, Im going to get that exchanged for the 3010 because its still has MFG Warranty and local store will exchange it out for me. So Again lets talk about Epson not optoma projectors here. I have seen hd20 and it sucks bad, So if a 3d version of that model hd33 that also will suck period. From all the reading its a upgrade version of the 8350 and 8700 model. A picture quality of both old models but 3D know Period.

This thread is by a fellow user who has seen or will be seeing both optoma and Epson and is better qualified to make comparisons from a user perspective and a lot of us are on fence between the two models

so please go to the Epson thread if you dont want to hear comparisons...and one of the other posters will gladly sell you a higher end model
post #82 of 2003 Old 10-13-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasMergner View Post

This doesn't make sense to me since there is supposed to be zero offset....unless you have the PJ mounted low.

AM, Where did you find the spec of zero lens offset? That's one of the specs i've been looking for to decide whether to pull the plug and get one.

Sprocket360, great job and thanks for your efforts! Can you tell us your screen size and throw distance? That info isn't available on proj central so I don't know if it will work in my room. Also can you comment on the pixel alignment when you get really close to the screen?
post #83 of 2003 Old 10-13-2011, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

projector is ceiling mounted about 12 feet away, projected size is about 100". seating is about 14 feet away from the screen.

Glasses never lost sync during my 3d gaming sessions. played for about an hour before I started to get a little dizzy. haha, not really used to fast paced 3d games yet.

No automatic lens cover. Just the plastic one it comes shipped with.

The 3d mode is so bright, that with the glasses on it increases contrast however, I don't know if it makes it better then the 2d contrast. I need to setup a separate calibration setting for 3d then put the glasses on to test. Without some type of meter it would be hard to tell. Nothing ever looked washed out from the brightness though.

there was a manual on the internet that stated the 0 offset. As far as I can tell that's accurate. I didn't measure with a tape measure.

The horizontal keystone appears to be digital. I don't know if it moves the lens internally somehow? Ill add that adjustment into the video.

I will try to do another youtube video of the actual projector. though its not easy to to capture the feeling of a projection screen in person.
post #84 of 2003 Old 10-13-2011, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the review so far. When you have time, can you go into their 3D menu to see if they have an option for side-by-side 3d? Without this option, DirectTV 3d is out. Thank you
post #85 of 2003 Old 10-13-2011, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

side by side is an option that's how the xbox games work.
post #86 of 2003 Old 10-13-2011, 09:55 AM

I'm interested in this projector, however I'm wondering if the lack of lens shift will be a determining factor or not. Sprocket360, you said you had the projector ceiling mounted with a throw of about 12 feet. I would assume the projector lens is centered with the screen horizontally, but what about vertically?
post #87 of 2003 Old 10-13-2011, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

The projector lens is just about even with the top of the screen. I have to adjust the mount this weekend to make it align 100%.
post #88 of 2003 Old 10-13-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by drob5286 View Post

I'm interested in this projector, however I'm wondering if the lack of lens shift will be a determining factor or not. Sprocket360, you said you had the projector ceiling mounted with a throw of about 12 feet. I would assume the projector lens is centered with the screen horizontally, but what about vertically?

Height of Lens off floor + Zero offset = height of top of Screen.

....as per above.

So the real question will alway be as to if one can work within that parameter

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #89 of 2003 Old 10-13-2011, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Here are a couple photos of the ALCS game last night.

I would have like your photos better if the Tigers Won!!

Compared to my Optoma HD3300, these pics look very close.

Also, should note that the 3010 is brighter in 3D mode because the auto iris is disabled and the contrast then goes to 1,600:1, so it's definitely a tradeoff. Did you notice that decrease in contrast. It would put the image back a couple of years in apparent LCD performance I would think, but the increase in brightness would allow for use on much bigger screens.
post #90 of 2003 Old 10-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The horizontal keystone appears to be digital. I don't know if it moves the lens internally somehow? Ill add that adjustment into the video.

That's interesting - So the keystone slider makes the keystone change in digital increments? That's a bit disappointing; I might be stuck with my same old screen size then Better 15% smaller screen than to have digital alterations going on causing lag when gaming and mucking up screen clarity.

Looking forward to your video, and MANY thanks!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010e Full Hd 1080p 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector With Integrated Spe , Projectors
Gear in this thread - 3010e by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page