My Epson 3010 projector just arrived! - Page 31 - AVS Forum
First ... 29  30  31 32  33  ... Last
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > My Epson 3010 projector just arrived!
quickfire's Avatar quickfire 06:20 PM 12-05-2011
FalaFala....care to share your settings with the 3010?

falafala's Avatar falafala 07:16 PM 12-05-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfire View Post

FalaFala....care to share your settings with the 3010?

Sure once I get around to fully learn how to do the 75% calibration

In the meanwhile you may want to download the free AVSDH disc on AVS forums and try out the basic cal....very simple once you watch the video tutorial that shows up on the disk once you burn it

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496
Mikes2cents's Avatar Mikes2cents 08:52 PM 12-05-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

For me I gave the DLP-POP of HD33 for lower cost, flexibility, extra features, mobility, lumens, better 3D brightness and colors of 3010, and most importantly better warranty and CS.

I could have quoted the other part of your post and I apologize for taking so long to get back. Thought I had my older AVR sold but no love as of today. I will say falafala has always been honest and forthcoming with his observations. I had a couple co-workers over today and showed them 3D on my old a$$ Samsung DLP TV. They were blown away. It was clear they have never seen anything like it even though one has a Sony 3D display and the other had watched 3D at a friends house. Yeah my Step Up 3D girl came through for me again. I just reached out and grabbed her LOL. Now I do apologize to falafala for quoting his post, times were slow that night and I wanted to make a point. His perfect focus struck a chord with me, because no matter how perfect my focus, it is not as good as my DLP TV. Not to mention pop and color along with clarity.

So I had these guys over today, we watched 3D on my DLP TV and they could not believe what they were seeing. I then put my Epson 8350 on on a 120" screen and we watched the NFL Network. They were again impressed but I would not let them see the direct comparison of the DLP TV to the Epson because it kills that hands down. There is no comparison and that is all I was trying to say before though it might appear I called falafala out. When you can see side by side comparison images, there is no comparison.

Not saying 3LCD is bad, just saying in my experience it is nowhere as sharp as a DLP unit. Just walk up to that screen and have a look folks. From viewing distance it is as sharp as it gets, but one has a filmlike quality which is also compared to film like. I prefer the what it is quality for football viewing as opposed to flimlike which basically translated is a soft image
42Plasmaman's Avatar 42Plasmaman 09:10 PM 12-05-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

I could have quoted the other part of your post and I apologize for taking so long to get back. Thought I had my older AVR sold but no love as of today. I will say falafala has always been honest and forthcoming with his observations. I had a couple co-workers over today and showed them 3D on my old a$$ Samsung DLP TV. They were blown away. It was clear they have never seen anything like it even though one has a Sony 3D display and the other had watched 3D at a friends house. Yeah my Step Up 3D girl came through for me again. I just reached out and grabbed her LOL. Now I do apologize to falafala for quoting his post, times were slow that night and I wanted to make a point. His perfect focus struck a chord with me, because no matter how perfect my focus, it is not as good as my DLP TV. Not to mention pop and color along with clarity.

So I had these guys over today, we watched 3D on my DLP TV and they could not believe what they were seeing. I then put my Epson 8350 on on a 120" screen and we watched the NFL Network. They were again impressed but I would not let them see the direct comparison of the DLP TV to the Epson because it kills that hands down. There is no comparison and that is all I was trying to say before though it might appear I called falafala out. When you can see side by side comparison images, there is no comparison.

Not saying 3LCD is bad, just saying in my experience it is nowhere as sharp as a DLP unit. Just walk up to that screen and have a look folks. From viewing distance it is as sharp as it gets, but one has a filmlike quality which is also compared to film like. I prefer the what it is quality for football viewing as opposed to flimlike which basically translated is a soft image

To make a fair comparison, you need to reduce the projector screen size to the same as the TV and move the projector as close to the screen as possible.
This will allow you to get maximum lumens and sharper picture.
Mikes2cents's Avatar Mikes2cents 09:21 PM 12-05-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

To make a fair comparison, you need to reduce the projector screen size to the same as the TV and move the projector as close to the screen as possible.
This will allow you to get maximum lumens and sharper picture.

Thanks bro. And I understand all the differences between front PJ and rear PJ units and all the lumens/baggage that comes with it. Unfortunately the images Art has put up mirror my visual experience exactly. There is no comparison. One owns the other. If you do not see the two side by side you are fine and will never suspect. Therefore you will be happy. I was until I compared my 8350 to my DLP TV. Bad mistake because the 8350 is a really, really good unit.
gundam83's Avatar gundam83 01:55 PM 12-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentfox View Post

Gundam, perhaps you misunderstood "middle". Manufacturer mentions "middle" in a confusing way in some of their literature, but they mean horizontal middle since there's no lens shift. Sitting on a table upright, the image is projected such that vertically the projector is aligned at the bottom of the image. The 3010 inverted will be even with the top of the image. For me with Chief mounts, a standard 6" steel pipe from Home Depot seems about right. This still puts projector high enough that normal people shouldn't bump their heads on it.

Hmm I'm just skeptical because in the reviews ive read on the projector, they recommended an extension tube for a ceiling mount, and when I tried playing with the projector calculator on projectorcentral.com, they don't list the option and distance for ceiling mount (or table for that matter). But if you guys say I don't have to worry about centering it vertically, I'll take your word for it.
fooks213's Avatar fooks213 02:07 PM 12-06-2011
stansell's Avatar stansell 05:42 PM 12-06-2011
I can assure you too - my projector is even with the top of my screen. You can see my pictures in the cine-bar link below. You cant really see the projector because it sits in a nook above and behind the couch, but you can see that it is not hanging down by any amount .
quickfire's Avatar quickfire 07:13 PM 12-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

Sure once I get around to fully learn how to do the 75% calibration

In the meanwhile you may want to download the free AVSDH disc on AVS forums and try out the basic cal....very simple once you watch the video tutorial that shows up on the disk once you burn it

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

Thanks FalaFala.....I'm unable to use my laptop at this moment...power supply is bad....
I have however bought a ND2 & ND4 FILTERS.....THE ND4 MAKES IT JUST A TAD TO DARK FOR ME..that's my opinion....the ND2 WORKS PERFECTLEY FOR 2D & 3D.....ITgives better blacks and to me I see no difference in whites.

I have a batcave on a 120" matte white 1.1 ...screen

I know that this PJ will be just as good as my Epson 8100..once calbrsted....the 8100 was just like this 3010...before people started to tweak the 8100... then that PJ went from good to great.

Looking forward to your settings falafala.
dagameballa's Avatar dagameballa 07:57 PM 12-06-2011
you guys think this is bogus..please check it out!!
http://www.gogetfound.com/v11h407020.html
vullcan's Avatar vullcan 08:23 PM 12-06-2011
clearly bogus, steer clear unless you want to be robbed. At best they are just trying to get you to buy the projector then tack on a bunch of accessories and warranty's to make it the normal price, and if you dont agree to buy them you'll find a mysterious $300 "handling" fee on your bill that wasnt there when you paid

At worst its stealing your credit card information.
McCannoSaurus's Avatar McCannoSaurus 08:36 PM 12-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagameballa View Post

you guys think this is bogus..please check it out!!
http://www.gogetfound.com/v11h407020.html

The UPC that site has listed, 010343884342, is for the Epson VS410. It probably isn't a scam, just the wrong info.
hoopsbwc34's Avatar hoopsbwc34 11:05 PM 12-06-2011
Installed my 3010 last Thursday. Here are my impressions (note this is my first projector and I'm moving up from a 10 year old rear-projection CRT):

Pros

Picture is sharp, no convergence issues (which is good cause I can't adjust the alignment) and colors look bright. 3D is good, some slight
ghosting against a white background, but looks good otherwise. Blacks aren't bad at all, actually I was surprised how good they were
considering this is an LCD. HDTV Sports look great! Had some friends over and they were all shocked at how good it looked on a 110" screen. Very bright... and I have it on the Eco setting and it's still plenty bright to watch football with some lights on. Watched Cars 2 with the kids and it was beautiful, great colors and brightness.

Cons
The auto iris makes a quite click which I notice in quiet scenes. With movies, it seems like everything is a little too dark...and I lose some shadow detail. Bright scenes look amazing, but not darker scenes (Watched Captain America and LOTR Return of the King where the major battle is at night) I think this is because the auto iris restricts the light for the entire scene when it activates to make the blacks darker. Not sure if I can live with this yet. I tried adding some brightness to balance this out (switching to normal mode instead of Eco) but this seemed to crank the fan up which was noticeably loud. However, it's plenty quiet in the lowest brightness setting, ... I'm also scared of dust blobs but nothing yet.

Overall, I'm 60/40 on keeping it. I like to tell my friends how little it cost to upgrade, and figure in 2 years I could spend the
1500 I'm saving and upgrade again to something better than what is available now for $3k. I tend to think buying on the lowend has more long term value, and the wow factor so far is enough to keep me happy. Plus I think calibration will help some as well.
falafala's Avatar falafala 11:18 PM 12-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsbwc34 View Post

Installed my 3010 last Thursday. Here are my impressions (note this is my first projector and I'm moving up from a 10 year old rear-projection CRT):

Pros

Picture is sharp, no convergence issues (which is good cause I can't adjust the alignment) and colors look bright. 3D is good, some slight
ghosting against a white background, but looks good otherwise. Blacks aren't bad at all, actually I was surprised how good they were
considering this is an LCD. HDTV Sports look great! Had some friends over and they were all shocked at how good it looked on a 110" screen. Very bright... and I have it on the Eco setting and it's still plenty bright to watch football with some lights on. Watched Cars 2 with the kids and it was beautiful, great colors and brightness.

Cons
The auto iris makes a quite click which I notice in quiet scenes. With movies, it seems like everything is a little too dark...and I lose some shadow detail. Bright scenes look amazing, but not darker scenes (Watched Captain America and LOTR Return of the King where the major battle is at night) I think this is because the auto iris restricts the light for the entire scene when it activates to make the blacks darker. Not sure if I can live with this yet. I tried adding some brightness to balance this out (switching to normal mode instead of Eco) but this seemed to crank the fan up which was noticeably loud. However, it's plenty quiet in the lowest brightness setting, ... I'm also scared of dust blobs but nothing yet.

Overall, I'm 60/40 on keeping it. I like to tell my friends how little it cost to upgrade, and figure in 2 years I could spend the
1500 I'm saving and upgrade again to something better than what is available now for $3k. I tend to think buying on the lowend has more long term value, and the wow factor so far is enough to keep me happy. Plus I think calibration will help some as well.

few things

1) try disabling IRIS and see if you can live without it...it will solve two birds in one shot: noise and too dark picture...but again this is a great feature on 3010 to give up

2) having said that, I run my IRIS in high-speed mode and I dont ever feel the image is too dark even in dark scenes. Also my replacement PJ IRIS is whisper quite (earlier one had very audible grinding noise)...so you may want to try a replacement
pevco's Avatar pevco 04:46 AM 12-07-2011
Looks like none of the BIG Guns want to share any of there calibration settings.
Several members have asked for some setting guidance.
Joesyah's Avatar Joesyah 06:23 AM 12-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsbwc34 View Post

Installed my 3010 last Thursday. Here are my impressions (note this is my first projector and I'm moving up from a 10 year old rear-projection CRT):

Pros

Picture is sharp, no convergence issues (which is good cause I can't adjust the alignment) and colors look bright. 3D is good, some slight
ghosting against a white background, but looks good otherwise. Blacks aren't bad at all, actually I was surprised how good they were
considering this is an LCD. HDTV Sports look great! Had some friends over and they were all shocked at how good it looked on a 110" screen. Very bright... and I have it on the Eco setting and it's still plenty bright to watch football with some lights on. Watched Cars 2 with the kids and it was beautiful, great colors and brightness.

Cons
The auto iris makes a quite click which I notice in quiet scenes. With movies, it seems like everything is a little too dark...and I lose some shadow detail. Bright scenes look amazing, but not darker scenes (Watched Captain America and LOTR Return of the King where the major battle is at night) I think this is because the auto iris restricts the light for the entire scene when it activates to make the blacks darker. Not sure if I can live with this yet. I tried adding some brightness to balance this out (switching to normal mode instead of Eco) but this seemed to crank the fan up which was noticeably loud. However, it's plenty quiet in the lowest brightness setting, ... I'm also scared of dust blobs but nothing yet.

Overall, I'm 60/40 on keeping it. I like to tell my friends how little it cost to upgrade, and figure in 2 years I could spend the
1500 I'm saving and upgrade again to something better than what is available now for $3k. I tend to think buying on the lowend has more long term value, and the wow factor so far is enough to keep me happy. Plus I think calibration will help some as well.

Actually what you are describing is a lack of contrast. Darker scenes will be better with the Iris. With out it, you'll make those darker scenes look worse.
If those darker scenes are important too you. You'll eventually have to step up to a projector with better contrast..no way around it.
42Plasmaman's Avatar 42Plasmaman 08:09 AM 12-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsbwc34 View Post

Cons
The auto iris makes a quite click which I notice in quiet scenes. With movies, it seems like everything is a little too dark...and I lose some shadow detail. Bright scenes look amazing, but not darker scenes (Watched Captain America and LOTR Return of the King where the major battle is at night) I think this is because the auto iris restricts the light for the entire scene when it activates to make the blacks darker. Not sure if I can live with this yet. I tried adding some brightness to balance this out (switching to normal mode instead of Eco) but this seemed to crank the fan up which was noticeably loud. However, it's plenty quiet in the lowest brightness setting, ... I'm also scared of dust blobs but nothing yet.

Pause a scene in which you believe you are losing to much shadow detail then try increasing your Contrast adjustment.
It should help bring out the shadow detail but you will sacrifice some black level.
8000HD's Avatar 8000HD 06:46 PM 12-07-2011
Hey guys, I just read the 31 pages of this thread and I'm still undecided if I'll jump in the 3010... I need some advices. First bought the HD33 without seeing it in replacement of my Epson 8100. I need to sold it because i learn that I was RBE hypersensitive . I was quite happy with it but it is what it is I can't change it. So what is worrying me is I can't find any reseller in Canada (like BB) who will change or refund the purchase if i'm not satisfied or if I got a first batch or noisy iris unit. And the nearest deal who can make me test it is about 1.5 hour away from my home.

Would you tell me to buy and try to deal with Epson if I receive a bad units or do the 3 hours ride to let me see what unit I buy (local unit it 250$ more expensive too).

Thanks for your helo guys.
falafala's Avatar falafala 07:53 PM 12-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8000HD View Post

Hey guys, I just read the 31 pages of this thread and I'm still undecided if I'll jump in the 3010... I need some advices. First bought the HD33 without seeing it in replacement of my Epson 8100. I need to sold it because i learn that I was RBE hypersensitive . I was quite happy with it but it is what it is I can't change it. So what is worrying me is I can't find any reseller in Canada (like BB) who will change or refund the purchase if i'm not satisfied or if I got a first batch or noisy iris unit. And the nearest deal who can make me test it is about 1.5 hour away from my home.

Would you tell me to buy and try to deal with Epson if I receive a bad units or do the 3 hours ride to let me see what unit I buy (local unit it 250$ more expensive too).

Thanks for your helo guys.

unfortunately epson dropped the ball big time with quality control...if not for liberal Bestbuy exchange policy, I would have given up on 3010 after my first unit.

But the good news is epson more than makes up for this screw up via excellent customer service (at least in US)....and I like 3010 so much more than HD33 that I am willing to put up with this inconvenience

so call them and tell them about your concern to see if they would honor their 2-year replacement warranty in CA.
8000HD's Avatar 8000HD 08:01 PM 12-07-2011
I already called them for my 8100 about my lamp fading at about 400hours and they asked me nothing and they shipped me a new one free of charge. So I know that even in Canada thier service is very good. I got in mind to test it anyway so I will do the ride friday and hope I be back with my new projector.
falafala's Avatar falafala 11:00 PM 12-07-2011
I played a little of Avatar PS3 game in 3D on 3010 this weekend and I was blown away by the brightness of this PJ. Colors were vibrant, and 3D is incredible and it feels as if you are on Pandora.

I almost sold this game off earlier when I played on HD33 as it was so dark that its unplayable.
pevco's Avatar pevco 09:02 AM 12-08-2011
Is everyone keeping there menu settings at Factory default?
No color changes,
No brightness, contrast, sharpness,Iris, tint, ??????
Hasn't any techs found tweek settings????

Just asking....
vincentfox's Avatar vincentfox 09:35 AM 12-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pevco View Post

Is everyone keeping there menu settings at Factory default?

Very minimal.

Turned off 3D warning notice.
Set to Living Room, changed to Eco, moved color temp to 7000K.

There was one other minor change but can't think of it now.
Theater9000's Avatar Theater9000 10:37 AM 12-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentfox View Post

Very minimal.

Turned off 3D warning notice.
Set to Living Room, changed to Eco, moved color temp to 7000K.

There was one other minor change but can't think of it now.

Thats pretty much where i have mine at also. I've been wanting to play around with the settings more but they seem to be pretty darn good where they're at stock.
falafala's Avatar falafala 10:40 AM 12-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentfox View Post

Set to Living Room, changed to Eco, moved color temp to 7000K.

Living room is too bright for me even in day time ! How are you able to take it ?
rogerssa's Avatar rogerssa 08:15 PM 12-08-2011
I'm building my HT right now. I'm trying to decide on the HD33 or the 3010. I currently have the HD70, but in the new house I can't have the drop that the HD70 needs. I want to ceiling mount it and the HD70 needs 22" drop. Not good.

So my question really is can the 3010 be mounted upside down. On the projector central calculator it doesn't give the option of ceiling mount up side down like it does for the other projectors like the HD33.

Thanks Shane
ack_bk's Avatar ack_bk 08:47 PM 12-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerssa View Post

I'm building my HT right now. I'm trying to decide on the HD33 or the 3010. I currently have the HD70, but in the new house I can't have the drop that the HD70 needs. I want to ceiling mount it and the HD70 needs 22" drop. Not good.

So my question really is can the 3010 be mounted upside down. On the projector central calculator it doesn't give the option of ceiling mount up side down like it does for the other projectors like the HD33.

Thanks Shane

The 3010 can be ceiling mounted upside down. It has zero offset. What is your ceiling height?
DaGamePimp's Avatar DaGamePimp 12:43 AM 12-09-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pevco View Post

Is everyone keeping there menu settings at Factory default?
No color changes,
No brightness, contrast, sharpness,Iris, tint, ??????
Hasn't any techs found tweek settings????

Just asking....

To be accurate the 3010 requires some color calibration, it is not 6500K/D65 out of the box (if that is important to you), brightness & contrast adjustments should always be done with any display as factory presets are seldom where they should be (and of course these settings will vary slightly depending upon the source).

Jason
pevco's Avatar pevco 04:37 AM 12-09-2011
Anyone have a "Sharpness" change? or just leave to default?
markba1's Avatar markba1 06:10 AM 12-09-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by markba1 View Post

Quick question about iris noise.

I notice a somewhat loud iris (compared to my ae900) when it's set to highspeed. Similar in volume to my loud pc hard drive. Doesn't sound like overt grinding but it is certainly quite noticeable without audio when switching from a dark webpage to a bright one on my pc.

Noise is much lower with the iris on normal. How loud is too loud for this thing? My batch number is 290018. Is it worth boxing up and exchanging at best buy? I have no other real issues.

So just as an update, I exchanged my 3010 at best buy for a new one with batch number 333118. My iris is worse! Now I hear more of a grinding noise than before and its loud enough to hear at times even with audio going.

I guess the enemy of good is better. Now I will be exchanging again. It appears that this isn't a batch issue, but more of a luck of the draw. Thank god for best buy holiday returns!
Tags: Epson , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010e Full Hd 1080p 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector With Integrated Spe , Projectors
First ... 29  30  31 32  33  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop