My Epson 3010 projector just arrived! - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-26-2012, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know others have reported the clicking sound with the auto iris. So last night I'm watching "The One" and probably 6 times during the movie I could hear the auto iris clicking. The projector sits about 3 feet directly above my head.

Should I send it back, or at this distance is that something I'm always going hear regardless?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 01:54 PM

Mine's pretty constant now (iris noise). Tried playing BatMan Arkam Asylum on Xbox the other day, and had to turn off the iris as it was too noisy (this game of course has many silent areas where you need to hear the background sounds to get cues about what's going on).

I'm also noticing convergence issues more now than I did, even on my 2nd projector.

But waiting until I get my final screen painted before I decide whether to call Epson for a swap.

That said, still excellent picture, even when projected slightly to an angle (need to remount PJ about 12" to the left, due to going with a bigger image than originally planned (so it won't be against the right wall)) and on a badly painted glossy gray wall.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:23 PM

BTW - for those of you having issues with 3D detection, here's what I can offer:

I have a 50' (yes 50') HDMI cable (GE brand, nothing special, was around $25 I believe) running into my Pioneer 1021 receiver, and from there a 6' cheap (Sam's Club) HDMI cable into the Panasonic 210 Blue Ray (as well as another 6' from the receiver to the XBox 360).

I have NO issues with the projector set on AUTO with it detecting and syncing 3d. And never have. In fact, at first I was running the 50' HDMI into an HDMI wall jack, from there with a 6' HDMI cable (virtually same as others I use) into the receiver, and then from the receiver into a 6' HDMI cable into the devices. So at least 62' run, not including what's done inside the receiver.

One exception to that is sometimes the Panasonic player will state that its not connected to a 3D source. Though that it easily solvable by turning off the receiver and back on. (perhaps a receiver or BR sync issue). Immediately it detects the 3D source and works (again with PJ set to Auto). NEVER happened when I had a Sony 3D BR player at all. I've only seen this happen when I've watched a movie (in 2D) immediately prior. Not sure if its heat related on the Panny BR or if something is getting signaling confused.

The Panny has a few quirks I've noticed (locks up in NetFlix from time to time, in NetFlix sometimes switches to lower quality than it should (tons of bandwidth, this isn't the issue) in mid movie, in NetFlix sometimes sound isn't synced right (not sure why), and has locked up twice in the middle of playing a BRAND NEW Blue Ray disk (had to power off player). Wish I had kept the Sony. (other than my coupon for 3D Avatar).

One thing I do like about the Panny though it that it allows for adjustment of 3D depth, which really helps to get rid of 3d Crosstalk (Alice in Wonderland 3D (Johnny Depp) on the menu has some ghosting/cross talk until I set this). Seems that for Epson glasses a -3 setting works best, for the Sony Playstation 3D glasses (which work great with the 3010), -2 is best. -2 works great on Epson glasses too, so that's where I leave it.

Anyways, just wanted to throw out in my case I have no real auto 3D detection issues, even with my less than optimal cable setting. I was all prepared to buy a powered 35' HDMI cable as I was expecting problems, but the El Cheapo cable works great for me, even through the receiver.

2D-3D conversion on the Panny I admit isn't great, but it does take 2D movies that almost look 3D (like Avatar in 2D and Return of the King) and makes some scenes TRULY look 3D at least for some of the things in the picture (ie: castle siege on ROTK with the battering ram and trolls looks very good here). So it basically only can enhance an already "3d-ish" 2D image from what I've seen. (I've seen a couple of "3D" movies that were converted by the studio poorly that the 2D-3D conversion on the Panny actually looks better). But you'll get no WHERE near the quality of a well done 3D movie with this conversion (Beauty and the Beast is excellent BTW)).
Old 01-26-2012, 03:47 PM

hallo hraynor,
thanks for your appreciations and informations. but i think most of the mentioned issues result from trying to watch sbs-3d-movies (where the projector is unable to detect the 3d-content). i understood you focused on watching "real" 3D-bluray content, didnĀ“t you ?
Old 01-27-2012, 01:33 PM

Liked: 11
Earlier in this thread I was telling that I were using a ND2 filter. Here is was the filter do on the Epson 3010.

It really improve the darkness of the black and it is less redish too. I find it really useful for the 3010 in a full darkened room.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Wars Guy View Post

I know others have reported the clicking sound with the auto iris. So last night I'm watching "The One" and probably 6 times during the movie I could hear the auto iris clicking. The projector sits about 3 feet directly above my head.

Should I send it back, or at this distance is that something I'm always going hear regardless?

Watched extras on the 2D Tron Legacy tonight and heard the auto iris a ton. Those of you who have this 3 feet from your head, is this common or should it be silent?
Old 01-28-2012, 04:38 AM

Good morning, just became an owner of the 3010 a few days ago. It replaced an Epson 8100 for my family room downstairs. Due to the fixed lens I had to move the ceiling mount to the center of the room and got a pipe that was 4 inches longer so the 3010's lens center was even with the height of my screen. Install took roughly an hour and another half hour to align the image and lock it down.

I had some difficulties initially getting the 3d to work. The 3010 would not detect the Panasonic BD-300 player and vice versa. Avatar 3d would not play in 3d, only 2d. Over the next couple of days I would tinker with it and got it to work only if connected from the player. My signal chain is as follows: BD->Sony Soundbar HDMI 1.4->Monoprice 4x2 HDMI matrix switcher HDMI 1.3-> Cat 6 extender passive wallplates HDMI 1.3 to projector( distance 60 feet). It was then it occured to me that the 1.3 devices are the culprit. I configured the Panasonics dual HDMI outputs to video to the 4x2 switcher and audio to the receiver. It recognized the 3d content but the image went in and out. After a hour of yelling obscenities I realized that my new configuration had a flaw. The ins and outs of the 4x2 switcher. Normally when I watch blu ray on the projector I use output B1 and with the new configuration I am using output B3. Well output A1 was being sent out as well to my dormant Samsung DLP tv which was causing the conflict. A quick code change to my Harmony One remote and all was fixed. Both outputs call the 3rd input and BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!! I am watching 3d on a 106" screen. What a pain in the a** but it was worth it.

My system is now functioning as intended and I am very pleased with the projectors performance. I am going to calibrate it this morning and post my experiences with the overall use of the projector.

Cheers

Joel
Old 01-28-2012, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hey Joel-
Somewhat relieved to know that this old Marine ain't the only one yelling obscenities when I finally lose it trying to get some new tech to behave properly. Always seems to eventually work though..... Glad ya got'er done!

Ed
Old 01-28-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Watched extras on the 2D Tron Legacy tonight and heard the auto iris a ton. Those of you who have this 3 feet from your head, is this common or should it be silent?

At only 3' from your head I'm not surprised you hear it when the scene goes from light to dark, especially when the volume is down. Mine is about 6' from my head and I always hear mine under those circumstances. I believe this is normal and is most noticeable when the pj is ceiling mounted (up side down). When I temporarily had mine on a small table 6' BELOW my head I never heard it. I'm used to it now and it really doesn't bother me too much.

Ed
Old 01-28-2012, 07:24 AM

Thanks Ed, that's the kind of feedback I'm looking for to make sure this is normal and not the grinding that others have reported that caused them to ship them back.

Anyone else this close to their projector?
Old 01-28-2012, 07:36 AM

Star Wars Guy, i would strongly recommend calling Epson and exchanging your unit for another one. i got my 3100e little over a month ago. The iris had a grinding noise. i have never owned a projector before so i didn't know if the grinding was too loud or not. i did know what people on this forum had said and that the grinding was really annoying when a movie or TV show had just dialogue only, which of course is most of the time.

The guy at Epson was pretty jerky about it. He actually tried to get me to turn off the auto iris. I asked him how the projector was going to adjust the brightness and he didn't respond! He kept putting me on hold for a few minutes at a time. i finally lost it! i blurted out I KNOW THiS IS A MANUFACTURING DEFECT, YOU KNOW THIS IS A MANUFACTURINg DEFECT, AND YOU FLOODED THE MARKET WITH DEFECTIVE PROJECTORS. He said that there was not a manufacturing defect.

The new projector that i got is so quiet that i have to strain to hear it! The difference is amazing!

Good luck! I hope this helps.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mine doesn't "grind", it's just a soft clicking sound. If I use ear plugs and use closed captions is doesn't bother me a bit.....

Ed
Old 01-28-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8000HD View Post

Earlier in this thread I was telling that I were using a ND2 filter. Here is was the filter do on the Epson 3010.

It really improve the darkness of the black and it is less redish too. I find it really useful for the 3010 in a full darkened room.

Which filter did you get and how are you mounting it?
Old 01-28-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior_Poet View Post

Which filter did you get and how are you mounting it?

Here is what I use:

ND2 Filter: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/290437825781?...84.m1497.l2648

Step down ring: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/260514952765?...84.m1497.l2648

The box of the ND2 filter is like this:

For the mounting, since the 3010 doesnt have fillet around the lens, I've put some teflon around the stepdown ring and it stay here by itself. It's fast to take off if you need the extra lumens for 3D viewing.
neveser likes this.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:02 PM

Hi Everybody,

I just want to buy an Epson 3010 projector. I have read a lot of reviews, tests and forums, and as i can see there are some problems with this machine.
I am realy want to buy one, but now iam a bit puzzled...

Convergence problems, defocus, loud dinamic iris... has every Epson 3010 this issues?
Is here anybody who didnt have these problems?

My last projector was an Epson 7500UB. It had defocus problems too... I liked the picture, but it was annoying. I realy like Epson projectors but i dont want to buy a projector with a lot of problems...

What should i do?

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-28-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutizoltan83 View Post

I realy like Epson projectors but i dont want to buy a projector with a lot of problems..!

Dive in! I have an Epson 3010 and it's WAY better than no projector at all.

Worst case it's bad out of the box, you take it back to retailer if you bought local. I got mine at Best Buy. Found a 12% discount at the time, plus another coupon that gave me a decent gift card as a bonus.

If you buy online, well Epson has great warranty.

This thread is IMO filled with the "Princess & the Pea" types. The projector is good for it's segment, it's not a Mercedes but you're not paying nosebleed price either.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:

Watch Journey to the Center of the Earth (in 2D because I got it from the library) and rarely noticed the clicking (only a few times did I actually hear it). The only time I ever really hear it 'grind' I guess is when it goes from the black screen to the bright menu.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentfox View Post

Worst case it's bad out of the box, you take it back to retailer if you bought local. I got mine at Best Buy. Found a 12% discount at the time, plus another coupon that gave me a decent gift card as a bonus.

This thread is IMO filled with the "Princess & the Pea" types. The projector is good for it's segment, it's not a Mercedes but you're not paying nosebleed price either.

It's not just good....it's excellent bang for the buck ! People in other threads are raving about their PJ's as best bang for the buck.....do the math, you will see 3010 is upto$ 500 cheaper than competitors....
Old 01-28-2012, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Amen. Love mine! I believe Amazon has the best price now and they have an excellent return/exchange policy. I did buy mine from BB (1st week of Dec.) and found a 10% off coupon by Googling, dunno if it's still available.

Ed
Old 01-28-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

Amen. Love mine! I believe Amazon has the best price now and they have an excellent return/exchange policy. I did buy mine from BB (1st week of Dec.) and found a 10% off coupon by Googling, dunno if it's still available.

Ed

You are correct, its $1420 right now
Old 01-29-2012, 02:15 AM

Vincent, thanks for your opinions.

I would like to buy this 3010 online, with warranty. So i can get an another one if it go wrong.
But i dont want change every week/month my projector to find a correct Epson 3010 model.

I realy like this machine. Its brightess would be good in my home theater room. And i very curious of 3d movies too. I am just afraid a bit of the issues...

Anyway, there are two 2d alternetives like Epson 8700UB.
- i read somedoy has defocus problems wiht this model too (like my old 7500UB)

and there is LG CF181.
- this projector seems good. i havent heard problems about it.

Quote:

Old 01-29-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnacle View Post

Star Wars Guy, i would strongly recommend calling Epson and exchanging your unit for another one. i got my 3100e little over a month ago. The iris had a grinding noise. i have never owned a projector before so i didn't know if the grinding was too loud or not. i did know what people on this forum had said and that the grinding was really annoying when a movie or TV show had just dialogue only, which of course is most of the time.

The guy at Epson was pretty jerky about it. He actually tried to get me to turn off the auto iris. I asked him how the projector was going to adjust the brightness and he didn't respond! He kept putting me on hold for a few minutes at a time. i finally lost it! i blurted out I KNOW THiS IS A MANUFACTURING DEFECT, YOU KNOW THIS IS A MANUFACTURINg DEFECT, AND YOU FLOODED THE MARKET WITH DEFECTIVE PROJECTORS. He said that there was not a manufacturing defect.

The new projector that i got is so quiet that i have to strain to hear it! The difference is amazing!

Good luck! I hope this helps.

Have you been using the wireless hdmi on your projector? If so, how do you like it? Any faults with it? Thanks.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My 3010 projector is in a Bat Cave ...dark shows........so....I just turned the Iris off!
Things are very quite..............great picture.......Love it!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pevco View Post

My 3010 projector is in a Bat Cave ...dark shows........so....I just turned the Iris off!
Things are very quite..............great picture.......Love it!!!

you are giving up a major feature because of iris noise...get it replaced instead
Old 01-29-2012, 11:32 PM

Epson 3010 no lens-shift function yes?
Old 01-30-2012, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My iris does not make any noise.........I just prefer to not use the feature.....and I get a great picture.....but then I'm in an all dark room.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post

Epson 3010 no lens-shift function yes?

Correct. The 3010 does NOT have lens shift.

Ed
Old 01-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pevco View Post

My iris does not make any noise.........I just prefer to not use the feature.....and I get a great picture.....but then I'm in an all dark room.

For me IRIS clearly produces deeper blacks in darker pictures....I cant live without it
Old 01-31-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

Correct. The 3010 does NOT have lens shift.

Ed

Can this still be just put on a table and played with until the picture is fully on the screen?
Old 01-31-2012, 03:03 PM

Or you can invert it and rear shelf mount if you don't want to ceiling mount.

Tags
Epson , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010e Full Hd 1080p 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector With Integrated Spe , Projectors