My Epson 3010 projector just arrived! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks sprocket360 for taking the time to answer all these questions! I know we've all been waiting awhile to hear about this projector.

Do you know if the menus contain an option for the ability to throw an anamorphic, 2.35:1 picture with the projector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 10:35 AM

Thanks from as well for the awesome review. I'm a newbie with projectors and sometimes get lost in all the numbers games, so its nice that while you provided it, you also provided a "I'm a cat who likes to play games (though I pity you as an Xbox gamer... JUST KIDDING), watch sports and see some 3d in my normal house" POV.

Speaking of my suck with numbers, I can't seem to find a throw calculator for this guy; any links?
post #93 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Sprocket, you don't know how lucky you are!!

Projector people just called; turns out epson only got a few units out through the door in this batch; They probably won't be shipping out en masse 'til around end of month

ElVasco, there's on on the Epson web site. Projector central doesn't have the figures plugged in yet, so that one doesn't work right now for this pj.
http://www.epson.com/alf_upload/land...ce-calculator/ -- and select the unit you want to use (epson only of course).
post #94 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElVasco View Post

Thanks from as well for the awesome review. I'm a newbie with projectors and sometimes get lost in all the numbers games, so its nice that while you provided it, you also provided a "I'm a cat who likes to play games (though I pity you as an Xbox gamer... JUST KIDDING), watch sports and see some 3d in my normal house" POV.

Speaking of my suck with numbers, I can't seem to find a throw calculator for this guy; any links?

I was really on the fence about getting the 8700 or the 5010. I myself was getting lost in the vast amount of numbers, reviews, and speculation. As much as we all love to talk about the numbers.. to me it comes down to actual everyday use. This projector is my main setup for TV, gaming, HTPC, and movies. I'm not fortunate enough to have a dedicated theater space that i can sound proof and paint all the surfaces flat black. In my light living room environment I felt like the extra contrast would be wasted with reflections off of the lighter surfaces. I think overall if I'm happy with 90% of my viewing its worth it. Although the extra features on the higher end models are nice, this projector exceeded my expectations for normal everyday use. I'm not trying to sell anyone anything, or sway anyone's decision. Ill hopefully get some better pictures thanks to some suggestions from the forum members and an HD SLR video up later.
post #95 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Any color convergence problems, and does this unit have motorized pixel alignment for the user to fine tune?
post #96 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
what are you putting in your dedicated theater spcae?

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #97 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket360 View Post

I was really on the fence about getting the 8700 or the 5010. I myself was getting lost in the vast amount of numbers, reviews, and speculation. As much as we all love to talk about the numbers.. to me it comes down to actual everyday use. This projector is my main setup for TV, gaming, HTPC, and movies. I'm not fortunate enough to have a dedicated theater space that i can sound proof and paint all the surfaces flat black. In my light living room environment I felt like the extra contrast would be wasted with reflections off of the lighter surfaces. I think overall if I'm happy with 90% of my viewing its worth it. Although the extra features on the higher end models are nice, this projector exceeded my expectations for normal everyday use. I'm not trying to sell anyone anything, or sway anyone's decision. Ill hopefully get some better pictures thanks to some suggestions from the forum members and an HD SLR video up later.

It's funny, I know you're not trying to sell anyone on anything, but you have sold me! Haha! I have the exact same situation and uses, right down to the pc hook up. I really appreciate it!!
post #98 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket360 View Post

The 3d mode is so bright, that with the glasses on it increases contrast however, I don't know if it makes it better then the 2d contrast. I need to setup a separate calibration setting for 3d then put the glasses on to test. Without some type of meter it would be hard to tell. Nothing ever looked washed out from the brightness though.

thanks for answring my earlier questions

reading various threads....3010 contrast is 1600:1 in 3D vs 4000:1 for HD33

since you have seen both, can you please comment on the contrast between the two in 3D mode ?
post #99 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 11:24 AM

And some knowlidge who looks bether?
post #100 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dfan View Post

thanks for answring my earlier questions

reading various threads....3010 contrast is 1600:1 in 3D vs 4000:1 for HD33

since you have seen both, can you please comment on the contrast between the two in 3D mode ?

Those figures may not really be correct - hd33 does not have a published "3d" contrast figure. Also, it's not clear what Epson means by contrast in 3d - There's nothing about a 3d image that would prevent it from having the same contrast as a 2d image, so I believe that may be a post-glasses figure - and if so, the 4,000:1 optoma figure definitely is not comparable.
post #101 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

there's so much guessing going around in our threads.

The high contrast ratios are due to the dynamic iris, and how they measure CR. CR is lower in 3D because the IRIS is off.

Optoma reviews state 3D is great but it's definitely dimmer than 2D. I'm guessing it's iris is off too,and it's CR ratio in 3D is meeting epson or lower. I would guess lower. But it doesn't matter, their eyes are saying the contrast looks better because of a dimmer picture.

Current Projects:
post #102 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

The manual is here: http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/p...plhc3010ug.pdf

You can get a lot of your questions answered with it, including offset, keystoning, lack of convergence adustment (I heard it was on the 5010, but know no details), etc..

Current HT: HTPC-->Epson 5010 projector-->135" screen, BFM TLAHs x7 & THT
Build log: DIY rotary sub for contemporary HT in 100 year old house?
Andreas' Slow Rotary Sub build
post #103 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 11:55 AM

I would like to see a comparison of images in 3D and discover what are their differences
post #104 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiancecp View Post

Those figures may not really be correct - hd33 does not have a published "3d" contrast figure. Also, it's not clear what Epson means by contrast in 3d - There's nothing about a 3d image that would prevent it from having the same contrast as a 2d image, so I believe that may be a post-glasses figure - and if so, the 4,000:1 optoma figure definitely is not comparable.

From my impression the images in 3d were plenty contrast'y for my purpose. Everything claim can be torn apart, but without a meter reading it would be tough to give an exact number as the manufacturer claims tend to be a little foggy.

I prefer the 3010 over the hd33 in 3d as well as 2d but then again, I wasn't really a fan of the HD20 either. Due to my RBE problem and general preference towards LCD's. Both projectors are going to be considered rivals there will be people that love and hate each one. My advice is go with your gut. Ive had good experience with Epson in the past, that coupled with the RBE issues, swayed me towards the 3010.
post #105 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

Optoma reviews state 3D is great but it's definitely dimmer than 2D.

When I put on my DLP Link glasses only. And for some users this will be good. The Optoma HD3300 is a very bright projector in 2D. Perfect in 3D w/glasses IMO.
post #106 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 12:07 PM

I can not wait for some reviews. I personally do not mind RBE but my girlfriend can not stand it. So that about epson would be a good choice even though the reviews on the HD3300 RBE are very good.
post #107 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by defiancecp View Post

The native contrast doesn't change. People and me included just think the images in 3D look deeper because the image is darkend. CR doesn't really change. They way I see things shaping up is the Epson will do better in those very dark scenes in 2D with it's DI on. The Optoma will look better in 3D with the higher contrast and much higher ansi contrast. The image will have more pop, be sharper.

Thinking why wouldn't Epson allow the DI to be used in 3D mode. I'll bet you can change out ot dynamic gamma in a menu option once the projectors in 3D. Then you'll have the Iris going. Test it out

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #108 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

yes, you have access to both dynamic and cinema mode in 3D. i bet it defaults to dynamic mode as to why it's "too bright" in sprocket's case.

Current Projects:
post #109 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Problem is the DI's close down the lamps brightness pretty hard, any dark scenes in 3D might be very dim. Lets see when people test what happens.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #110 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Sprocket360, thanks for your contributions, you are very helpful.

I will have blue-grey walls and a white ceiling in our soon to be finished media/family room in our basement so I have the same dilemma with blacks. I just don't think I will get the full advantage of the darker blacks of the 5100 or the JVC RS45, so the 3100 might more sense ( I don't need lens shift) until 3D projectors come down in price or I can convince my wife to paint the ceiling a darker color

That said, I am trying to hold off until the upcoming 3D projectors from Mitsubishi and BenQ start shipping later this year.

When you get a Blu-Ray player, there are several 3D movies to try that cause major ghosting on other projectors.
post #111 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 02:58 PM

Hey everyone. My 3010 should be in on the weekend and I will post a review as well. I am by no means a HT expert but I know enough to help people with any questions and/or concerns. By the way, I spent the whole day calling around and couldn't find any units available. I ended up getting it from Marshall at Theater Xtreme in Utah. He was lucky enough to get 30 units in and has already sold around 10 of them. BTW, I am in no way affiliated with him whatsoever, but it was quick shipping and TX was the only place I could find it in stock. I originally ordered from Projector People but they called and said it was on back order even though their site said "Shipping Now" (it has since been changed to show "Shipping in October"). Anyway, more to follow but I'm excited to have 3D (for me and the kids!!) on a 110" screen.
post #112 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by i29gtaylor View Post

Hey everyone. My 3010 should be in on the weekend and I will post a review as well. I am by no means a HT expert but I know enough to help people with any questions and/or concerns. By the way, I spent the whole day calling around and couldn't find any units available. I ended up getting it from Marshall at Theater Xtreme in Utah. He was lucky enough to get 30 units in and has already sold around 10 of them. BTW, I am in no way affiliated with him whatsoever, but it was quick shipping and TX was the only place I could find it in stock. I originally ordered from Projector People but they called and said it was on back order even though their site said "Shipping Now" (it has since been changed to show "Shipping in October"). Anyway, more to follow but I'm excited to have 3D (for me and the kids!!) on a 110" screen.

Do you have a 3D capable Blu-Ray player, 3D receiver, and any 3D Blu-Ray movies yet?
post #113 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
sprocket rocks!
waiting for i29g's input to the conversation as well.
post #114 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I called extreme theater in Utah they didn't pick up. They close at 6 and it's 5 their time. Well see if they call back

Current Projects:
post #115 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:

I called extreme theater in Utah they didn't pick up. They close at 6 and it's 5 their time. Well see if they call back

Does AVS plan to sell 3010 ?
post #116 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I spoke to them this afternoon, same response, they've got several. They're selling them locally or via ebay - I think they're the only ones on ebay right now, but to be sure confirm it shows shipping from draper ID. I was a bit concerned about the ebay thing since the seller has nearly no feedback, but having spoken to a salesman at the store (and researched the store, looked at it on google street view, watched its commercials, etc), since the salesman confirmed it is theirs, I feel a little better about it. The confirmation email from ebay referenced the seller having an @theaterdesigncenter.com email address as well.

So I'm going for the Epson It's going to be a bit more difficult to fit in my room, but the results should be better. I'll have to tilt my screen 6* back to avoid having any keystone adjustment, but I just dummied that up and it's almost not noticeable

But the extra benefit is that my screen size goes from 80" diagonal to 98" diagonal! woohoo

Guess it's time to start mixing paints again. I also need to put together a bracketing system that will let me adjust the screen angle easily... hm...

The design work is really one of the best parts of home theater
post #117 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

i got throughand will be ordering mine first thing tomorrow. they seem like a classy group and friendly, and are really pushing epson over optoma. they said they fired Optoma, they don't have anything in any price range that they like.

they said the 3010 owns the $1500 to $3100 price range right now. he also hates 3D so he isn't the guy to ask about that..lol.

i'm not in town though and thtey won't ship to a locatoin other than what's on the credit card (ARGH!). Maybe I could use my parents credit card and pay them immediatley since i'm with them this weekend, lol. would be fun to unbox it at their house to test it out in a terrible environment.

Current Projects:
post #118 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 07:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dfan View Post

Does AVS plan to sell 3010 ?

Good thought, I would call one of the AVS salesman and get them on board. Support AVS they would give a great price if so.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #119 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

optoma hd3300 is 6x color wheel (essentially), nobody is seeing rainbows from what i undersatnd

I had the HD33 for 29 days and I saw rainbows every single 29 of those days I used it. I am getting the 3010 to see how it stacks up against the HD33 and my previous Sony HW30.
post #120 of 1999 Old 10-13-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

Good thought, I would call one of the AVS salesman and get them on board. Support AVS they would give a great price if so.

Definitely give the folks @ AVS a call. They do plan to carry it based on my communication with them today and should start receiving units around November 1st based on what Epson is telling them as of now.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010e Full Hd 1080p 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector With Integrated Spe , Projectors
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page