My Epson 3010 projector just arrived! - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 2003 Old 04-08-2012, 04:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
falafala, where were you, long time no comment, etc. anyway thanks and have you attached sensor with two sided tape with the body of the projector (right side of the lens), right? but i noticed that apart from lens right side when i place it behind the projector just below the "external 3D IT" output, i get strong signal too. why? well these monsters are hell of a job and not easy for normal users, but definitely it is amazing science there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 2003 Old 04-08-2012, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankhan View Post

falafala, where were you, long time no comment, etc. anyway thanks and have you attached sensor with two sided tape with the body of the projector (right side of the lens), right? but i noticed that apart from lens right side when i place it behind the projector just below the "external 3D IT" output, i get strong signal too. why? well these monsters are hell of a job and not easy for normal users, but definitely it is amazing science there.

Busy watching loads of 3D movies....plus this thread is dead...we should have started an official thread in the first place.

no i did not attached the sensor to the PJ, i pasted the sensor to the side of the table on which my PJ sits in such a way that it picks up IR signal easily. There is no right or wrong here....find a place where it sees the IR signal clearly.

so you are saying the back of the projector also works ? thats even better ! I should try it.
post #1263 of 2003 Old 04-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfire View Post

Its on the bottom of lenses area.....I had a tough time getting monster glasses to keep signal...until I figured out were it was located..
btw monster glasers willnimprove ghosting a lot...it will remove 90% of ghosting.. but not all.....it takes time to figure out the perfect optimal settings...took me around 3 hours to get my set as good as possible.
BE PATIENT

mine removed 99% of ghosting....if you look through top of the lens
post #1264 of 2003 Old 04-09-2012, 12:51 AM

99%.....wow. What about Happy Feet 2, HUGO, will you say that you watched this movie using Monster and you were able to remove 99% ghosting.

Also in Monster's manual, can some one explain the following, i mean how can i adjust polarity in monster's system.

5.6 Adjusting Polarity
1. Select Fine Tuning Mode in the Transmitter
2. Press & Release into transmitter what this means????????
a. If polarity changes to Standard, 2 LEDs will be illuminated RED
b. If polarity changes to Reversed, 3 LEDs will be illuminated RED
3. View the image with the eyewear to observe if standard polarity returns. Repeat until standard polarity returns and the image has an acceptable 3D depth View the image with the eyewear to observe if standard polarity returns. Repeat until standard polarity returns and the image has an acceptable 3D depth. After 120 seconds the LEDs will turn
off, this indicates that the polarity is set and the eyewear returns to normal operating mode.
post #1265 of 2003 Old 04-09-2012, 04:14 AM

I am not sure what everyone is talking about with ghosting/crosstalk. I mean I understand what they are and dislike them A LOT, but I have not once experienced either on this awesome projector watching 3D content. I even use the PS3 glasses and they are great and cheap 30-40 on ebay.

I have experienced them 3D evils with the Nvidia 3D set up a few times, and was able to fix it changing some of the settings, but with this projector its' like a smooth champagne that rolls down the palate and the taste lingers hours after drinking it.

I have been experiencing 3D projector viewing since June 2010, back in the day when all I had was Nvidia 3D, 720p 3D projector, internet SBS files, Cloudy with a Chance and importing stuff through Amazon Germany/France/England just to watch 3D blu-rays. I def. have to say not bothering with an HTPC is nice. Get something like the Xtremer Prodigy which will play blu 3d iso's without any hiccups.
post #1266 of 2003 Old 04-09-2012, 06:19 AM

Death vader, no need to be angry, of course if some one is talking on crosstalk means he/she is facing it in its setup. run a search for Epson 3010 crosstalk/ghosting and you shall see many people around talking on this and congrates if you are not seeing it but instead of getting annoyed i also dont understand that people can help others. Like in your case you have used nVidia and you said you faced crosstalk but you were able to fix it, then you must post your experience so that some one else can benefit from it. I also have HTPC with GT 520 silent and i use PowerDVD 12 but almost on every 3D BD i see more or less crosstalk, problem is that myself could be super sensitive and many are not. Therefore if you dont mind would you please share your experience that by using nVidia how did you get a crosstalk free picture.
post #1267 of 2003 Old 04-09-2012, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

As some of you know, I've had 4 3010's in my home. The third one had much more extreme ghosting, and, wouldn't you know, it was the one I bought to keep.

I contacted Epson and told them that my current unit had much more ghosting than the previous two and they told me that they hadn't heard that complaint before. I know falafala observed that issue and maybe a few others. If your 3010 exhibits a lot of ghosting (I know this is a very subjective measure, sorry- don't know of a better one.) please let Epson know so they can get a better feel for the issue.
post #1268 of 2003 Old 04-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

99%.....wow. What about Happy Feet 2, HUGO, will you say that you watched this movie using Monster and you were able to remove 99% ghosting.

Also in Monster's manual, can some one explain the following, i mean how can i adjust polarity in monster's system.

5.6 Adjusting Polarity
1. Select Fine Tuning Mode in the Transmitter
2. Press & Release into transmitter what this means????????
a. If polarity changes to Standard, 2 LEDs will be illuminated RED
b. If polarity changes to Reversed, 3 LEDs will be illuminated RED
3. View the image with the eyewear to observe if standard polarity returns. Repeat until standard polarity returns and the image has an acceptable 3D depth View the image with the eyewear to observe if standard polarity returns. Repeat until standard polarity returns and the image has an acceptable 3D depth. After 120 seconds the LEDs will turn
off, this indicates that the polarity is set and the eyewear returns to normal operating mode.

actually i should say 99.99% because i get very upset if i see ghosting and after watching over 50 movies i dont remember being upset
post #1269 of 2003 Old 04-09-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhonzi View Post

As some of you know, I've had 4 3010's in my home. The third one had much more extreme ghosting, and, wouldn't you know, it was the one I bought to keep.

I contacted Epson and told them that my current unit had much more ghosting than the previous two and they told me that they hadn't heard that complaint before. I know falafala observed that issue and maybe a few others. If your 3010 exhibits a lot of ghosting (I know this is a very subjective measure, sorry- don't know of a better one.) please let Epson know so they can get a better feel for the issue.

Epson is a liar that their is no any complaint or probably their customer care unit do not let such complaints go further to their technical division. I have very long email correspondence with Epson where they simply accepted my complaint as I told them that there are many posts on internet where buyers of 3010 in US and TW6000W in Europe have faced ghosting with this unit and have exchanged it but still face crosstalk and they asked me to give them the unit or to get replacement but i refused as i afraid that new one could be more painful and i insisted to keep the one which i have and I asked them to post new firmware on their website like others do but they said that customers must have to give us the unit to fix new firmware which shall give additional menu for "LCD alignment".

However, from other forums I already got the way to reach to the hidden menu (a very nice German guy posted such information somewhere) and to get this option of LCD alignment activated in the present firmware which means there is no any new firmware, they just do the trick to bring this LCD alignment option in the advanced menu through hidden menu options. If some one needs that I can provide that, however, I do not know that finally how a customer know that LCD are aligned or not and how to align them. I am still working on this thingee. I tried to use LCD alignment but it is difficult to align and how one can know that mis-alignment may create crosstalk or not.
post #1270 of 2003 Old 04-09-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

actually i should say 99.99% because i get very upset if i see ghosting and after watching over 50 movies i dont remember being upset

I specifically asked for HUGO and HAPPY FEET 2, do you have crosstalk on these movies or not as even blu-ray.com reviewers confirmed having crosstalk on these movies. Only DLP people are in peace. or may be you use much low brightness settings on monsters.
post #1271 of 2003 Old 04-09-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:

Busy watching loads of 3D movies....plus this thread is dead...we should have started an official thread in the first place.

Well this thread is dead as probably people do not like to share much of their experiences. otherwise there is much to talk about, like which 3D BD player has been found best to be used with 3010 as far as crosstalk/ghosting is concerned, people also use HTPC and dont post their input and which best HTPC configuration appears to be best to be used with 3010 having minimum crosstalk. See the main issue with 3D projector is to discuss crosstalk/ghosting and personal setup options which variate from one user to other for many factors and people should share it as it could be useful to others.

If you go through AE7000 official thread you shall be surprised how much people are discussing their crosstalk issues. I was surprised that high end panasonic projector AE7000 suppose to be one of the best LCD projector as good as 5010 or 6010 but their users also are facing tremendous crosstalk, and same applies tio 5010 an d6010 users, they do face tremendous crosstalk so we 3010 (much cheaper then high end projectors) users should be happy to have less crosstalk.

It is only the matter that people hare should share their experiences. For EPSON, they use Samsung 3d BD player as it doe snot produce crosstalk. EPSON believes that input source is the main cause of crosstalk.
post #1272 of 2003 Old 04-10-2012, 02:29 AM

I have just set up my 3010 and found it be FANTASTIC!!

The colours are so vivid, Sharp picture and no noticeable fan noise!!

In short, GREAT!!!
post #1273 of 2003 Old 04-10-2012, 07:25 AM

Mankhan, whose angry, I am stating what everyone (you) is talking about when you say ghosting/crosstalk with this projector- I would not call this thread dead though, as there are people responding. I have not experienced ghosting/crosstalk with this projector at all. Hugo was amazing and as I am sensitive to ghosting/crosstalk/RBE, I did not see any of these at all. I do not own Happy Feet 2, nor will I bother with it, lame film.
My settings for Nvidia do not come to me now, as I have not been using that set up for a few months, but it did have to do with some video settings. All in all, the 3010, is pretty amazing for a 1080p 3D projector, and this is supposed to be budget?? That's nuts.
post #1274 of 2003 Old 04-10-2012, 09:05 AM

^^
Agreed. There is no doubt about the efficiency of 3010 keeping in view the budget and its 3D is no doubt is amazing. However, you did not have crosstalk on HUGO and that is totally surprising. What is your 3D BD player? crosstalk is result of what we are feeding to PJ. If you want to appreciate your 3010 in terms of 3D then do wacth HAPPY FEET 2, it has some amazing 3D effects and over all fun.
post #1275 of 2003 Old 04-10-2012, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Epson is a liar that their is no any complaint or probably their customer care unit do not let such complaints go further to their technical division. I have very long email correspondence with Epson where they simply accepted my complaint as I told them that there are many posts on internet where buyers of 3010 in US and TW6000W in Europe have faced ghosting with this unit and have exchanged it but still face crosstalk and they asked me to give them the unit or to get replacement but i refused as i afraid that new one could be more painful and i insisted to keep the one which i have and I asked them to post new firmware on their website like others do but they said that customers must have to give us the unit to fix new firmware which shall give additional menu for "LCD alignment".

However, from other forums I already got the way to reach to the hidden menu (a very nice German guy posted such information somewhere) and to get this option of LCD alignment activated in the present firmware which means there is no any new firmware, they just do the trick to bring this LCD alignment option in the advanced menu through hidden menu options. If some one needs that I can provide that, however, I do not know that finally how a customer know that LCD are aligned or not and how to align them. I am still working on this thingee. I tried to use LCD alignment but it is difficult to align and how one can know that mis-alignment may create crosstalk or not.

Yes, please tell us how to access the service menu and LCD alignment on the Epson 3010 projector.
post #1276 of 2003 Old 04-10-2012, 10:38 AM

I use the Xtremer Prodigy for blu ray isos and I use the PS3 for 3D blu discs and have not experienced crosstalk/ghosting with either.
post #1277 of 2003 Old 04-10-2012, 04:07 PM

Service Menu, just like on the 5010/6010 (see http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1399426&page=2) can be accessed by:

1. Turning on Projector, wait for it to warm up
2. Hold down the MENU button for AT LEAST 8 seconds, then let go
3. IMMEDIATELY press ESC *TWICE*

Menu will then popup. Provides a lot of infomration about the projector, how many times its been on and off, how many times it performed a "safe" shutdown (ie: mine was one less due to power flickering during a storm, so this number was accurate), etc.

That said, I don't see any LCD alignment menu. From memory, I believe this was a 5010/6010 feature, but would LOVE to know if this is available on the 3010.

I'm seeing a bit of misalignment when I walk close (can't tell at all from more than 3 feet away), but would like to fix that. In fact, I've considered calling Epson for a replacement (also due to a slight lack of focus only on the right side - nothing affects this regardless of what I do to the focus ring (other than make it worse)).
post #1278 of 2003 Old 04-10-2012, 04:12 PM

Oh, BTW - I can definitely confirm that the Blu Ray player (or other input device) you use has a BIG effect on the crosstalk and ghosting.

I previously had a Sony 580 and didn't see ANY ghosting. I later returned that for the Panasonic 210, and noticed some ghosting on the menu for the Alice in Wonderland 3D (text at the beginning).

A few clicks to the settings on the Panasonic, and it goes away. The Panasonic allows you to adjust the 3D depth, and I believe a setting of -2 did a great job for me with the Epson glasses. That said, this was prior to me remounting the projector and painting the screen (from the gray wall I used to project on). So I probably need to check it again.

Watched Avatar 3D last night for the first time (Panasonic finally sent it) and while I didn't see any ghosting, it seemed a bit "blurry" to me (possibly my tired eyes last night), so I'll go back and readjust later this weekend to see.

BTW - I also notice that the optimal setting for the PS3 glasses (I have EIGHT pairs of the PS3 glasses, and only 2 of the Epsons) was a bit different. While previously it was -2 on the Epsons, -3 was best for the PS3s. At least for the AIW menu. Never noticed a difference in the movie itself between the Epsons and PS3s, regardless of the setting (unless i moved it beyond the -2 or -3).

Unfortunately Sony doesn't let you adjust that on their BluRay players.
post #1279 of 2003 Old 04-10-2012, 04:24 PM

Oh, one last thing I'll say...

Improving your screen will also DRAMATICALLY help with 3D on the 3010. Previously I was projecting to a gray wall (temporarily). Then I sanded and primed, and immediately 3D was MUCH better (of course since now it was on a white, not reflective (semi gloss) gray surface that was never intended for a screen).

Then once I finally painted the black trim and sprayed on the 5-6 coats of "special screen paint" (aka RS-MaxxMudd LL - see DIY screen section), 3D viewing got INFINITELY better and MUCH brighter.

Whereas previously 3D was a bit dim even on High setting (Cinema 3D though), its brighter now on Low, and High is great for watching even dark 3D movies (this is with PJ about 14' from screen with 142" projected image, zoom set all the way back).
post #1280 of 2003 Old 04-10-2012, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Vader View Post

Mankhan, whose angry, I am stating what everyone (you) is talking about when you say ghosting/crosstalk with this projector- I would not call this thread dead though, as there are people responding. I have not experienced ghosting/crosstalk with this projector at all. Hugo was amazing and as I am sensitive to ghosting/crosstalk/RBE, I did not see any of these at all. I do not own Happy Feet 2, nor will I bother with it, lame film.
My settings for Nvidia do not come to me now, as I have not been using that set up for a few months, but it did have to do with some video settings. All in all, the 3010, is pretty amazing for a 1080p 3D projector, and this is supposed to be budget?? That's nuts.

I'm with you Vader. I've watched almost every 3D Bluray released (including Hugo but NOT HF2) and they ONLY time I experienced crosstalk/ghosting was when I used the Blick 3D glasses. NEVER had the problem using the Epsons, Panny 3rd generations or PS3s.

Ed

BTW,This is with both a Sony 570 & a Panasonic 210.
post #1281 of 2003 Old 04-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I specifically asked for HUGO and HAPPY FEET 2, do you have crosstalk on these movies or not as even blu-ray.com reviewers confirmed having crosstalk on these movies. Only DLP people are in peace. or may be you use much low brightness settings on monsters.

I watched Hugo only....ZERO crosstalk with Monsters.....unlike Old Corps, I am not lucky enough not to see some ghosting with Epsons....but its also very rare. But like Xhonzi said my earlier unit had a lot more ghosting with Epsons
post #1282 of 2003 Old 04-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Could you show how to access this menu and also post picture of LCD alignment menu ?

I would guess that misalignment should not cause crosstalk as it affects R and L same way but will not bleed them into each other
post #1283 of 2003 Old 04-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well this thread is dead as probably people do not like to share much of their experiences. otherwise there is much to talk about, like which 3D BD player has been found best to be used with 3010 as far as crosstalk/ghosting is concerned, people also use HTPC and dont post their input and which best HTPC configuration appears to be best to be used with 3010 having minimum crosstalk. See the main issue with 3D projector is to discuss crosstalk/ghosting and personal setup options which variate from one user to other for many factors and people should share it as it could be useful to others.

I bet if the Thread Starter called this "official 3010 thread" we would have a lot more posts. I for one tried a lot to share my enthusiasm and information till a point came when no one even responded and I gave up on this thread.
post #1284 of 2003 Old 04-11-2012, 01:42 AM

LCD Alignment

It works as follows:

1. Switch on the PJ
2. Press and hold the Menu-Button for 8 sec.
3. Press the ESC-Button twice

Now a new Window with Informations about the Beamer appears. With the
"Arrow-right" and "Arrow-left"-Button you can see several other Information-Windows.

4. Press again the Menu-Button for 8 sec.
5. Press again the ESC-Button twice.

Now a new Windows appears. On the left side you see 6 lines named
"DIP-SW1" to "DIP-SW 6". Move with the "Arrow-down-Button" to "DIP-SW 6" and press "Enter".

On the right side there are 8 lines named "Bit 0" to "Bit 7" and then "0" and "1" with a white (=deactivated) or green (=activated) Rectangle before the 0 or 1.

Move now with the "Arrow-down"-Button to the line named "Bit 5" and then activate with the "Arrow-right"-Button.

Don't change other bits or DIP-Switches!

Now press Enter and then leave the menu by pressing ESC twice.

Now switch off the PJ (from projector and not remote) and then on again after a while.

Now you can find a new submenu named "LCD Alignment" in the "Extended" in my case. Here you can adjust the pixel alignment, you can activate or deactivate the adjustments or reset them.

The "LCD Alignment"-submenu will appear now permanently in the menu until you deactivate "Bit 5" in DIP-SW 6.

Warning: As the function of the other bits and DIP-Switches is unknown, any change might cause problems and/or void warranty...so use it on your own risk...!

This procedure was posted somewhere in AVS forum by a German named Michael and we should be thankful to him. He said that he shall work on other features and shall be posting more on his findings.

So go ahead with this magic and post your outcomes. Particularly I want to ask if any one here is very technical and tell that LCD alignment may reduce crosstalk or not?
post #1285 of 2003 Old 04-11-2012, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Vader View Post

I use the Xtremer Prodigy for blu ray isos and I use the PS3 for 3D blu discs and have not experienced crosstalk/ghosting with either.

Can you give us some link to buy online "Xtremer Prodigy" and you said that it plays BD Iso. Does it play 3D BD iso as well?
post #1286 of 2003 Old 04-11-2012, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hraynor View Post

Oh, BTW - I can definitely confirm that the Blu Ray player (or other input device) you use has a BIG effect on the crosstalk and ghosting.

I previously had a Sony 580 and didn't see ANY ghosting. I later returned that for the Panasonic 210, and noticed some ghosting on the menu for the Alice in Wonderland 3D (text at the beginning).

A few clicks to the settings on the Panasonic, and it goes away. The Panasonic allows you to adjust the 3D depth, and I believe a setting of -2 did a great job for me with the Epson glasses. That said, this was prior to me remounting the projector and painting the screen (from the gray wall I used to project on). So I probably need to check it again.

Watched Avatar 3D last night for the first time (Panasonic finally sent it) and while I didn't see any ghosting, it seemed a bit "blurry" to me (possibly my tired eyes last night), so I'll go back and readjust later this weekend to see.

BTW - I also notice that the optimal setting for the PS3 glasses (I have EIGHT pairs of the PS3 glasses, and only 2 of the Epsons) was a bit different. While previously it was -2 on the Epsons, -3 was best for the PS3s. At least for the AIW menu. Never noticed a difference in the movie itself between the Epsons and PS3s, regardless of the setting (unless i moved it beyond the -2 or -3).

Unfortunately Sony doesn't let you adjust that on their BluRay players.

+1. Thanks for sharing your experience. This is what we need in this forum.
post #1287 of 2003 Old 04-11-2012, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hraynor View Post

Oh, one last thing I'll say...

Improving your screen will also DRAMATICALLY help with 3D on the 3010. Previously I was projecting to a gray wall (temporarily). Then I sanded and primed, and immediately 3D was MUCH better (of course since now it was on a white, not reflective (semi gloss) gray surface that was never intended for a screen).

Then once I finally painted the black trim and sprayed on the 5-6 coats of "special screen paint" (aka RS-MaxxMudd LL - see DIY screen section), 3D viewing got INFINITELY better and MUCH brighter.

Whereas previously 3D was a bit dim even on High setting (Cinema 3D though), its brighter now on Low, and High is great for watching even dark 3D movies (this is with PJ about 14' from screen with 142" projected image, zoom set all the way back).

Mine is Dalite 133" with 1.3 gain or may be more, i dont remember it is very old screen but amazing gain and is excellent for 2D and 3D projection the only issue that like an LCD screen maximum contrast appears when you are directly in front of screen but if you are at more then 30 degree angle out picture becomes as if projected on normal white matte. I definitely recommend Da-Lite screens to every one here. I have to set 3010 at its brightest mode 3D dynamic as 3D cinema gets dull.
post #1288 of 2003 Old 04-11-2012, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

I'm with you Vader. I've watched almost every 3D Bluray released (including Hugo but NOT HF2) and they ONLY time I experienced crosstalk/ghosting was when I used the Blick 3D glasses. NEVER had the problem using the Epsons, Panny 3rd generations or PS3s.

Ed

BTW,This is with both a Sony 570 & a Panasonic 210.

You guys must have some very good 3D BD players that feed good to 3010 or you are lucky as your 3010 is fine tuned very very well.
post #1289 of 2003 Old 04-11-2012, 04:02 AM

Quote:

I watched Hugo only....ZERO crosstalk with Monsters.....unlike Old Corps, I am not lucky enough not to see some ghosting with Epsons....but its also very rare. But like Xhonzi said my earlier unit had a lot more ghosting with Epsons

Amazing, well all i can see that you must have very fine tuned 3010 and a very fine 3D BD player or may be you watched HUGO at very low brightness settings. With my monster at brightness of 3LEDs works ok for this movie with almost no crosstalk. How about in your case. Can you watch HUGO with monsters at 4 or 5 LEDs lit?
post #1290 of 2003 Old 04-11-2012, 04:04 AM

Quote:

I bet if the Thread Starter called this "official 3010 thread" we would have a lot more posts. I for one tried a lot to share my enthusiasm and information till a point came when no one even responded and I gave up on this thread.

Well i may be entered late in this thread as I purchased late but i can see that you have very good input and people are responding well, no complaints, but even if there is, then lets start over considering this thread as official. See panny's AE7000, or epson's other threads, people are active like hell.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010e Full Hd 1080p 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector With Integrated Spe , Projectors
Gear in this thread - 3010e by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page