post #1471 of 2004 Old 05-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankhan View Post

Your thoughts are very useful and thank you indeed. So the problem for crosstalk either the LCD panel, 3D emitter or the glasses but these are lots of variables and one should be able to know where exactly is the fault. Since i used Monsters and Epson and I do not see any difference in both as far as crosstalk is concerned so i remove the possibility that i have wrong glasses. Now the 3D emitter or the LCD panel. What if i buy Epson's external 3D emitter and try it, would it bring any change or i shall be able to isolate the issue? What if i have bad LCD panels, of that means changing the unit!!!!!!!!

The monsters are RF, not IR, but they are using the timing from the IR emitter, right? I don't think an external emitter will change anything... but if you're that desperate, you might as well try it. Let us know how it goes.

Where are you based, mankhan? Maybe the best thing is for you to see someone else's 3010 and see how it compares. It's hard to objectively measure crosstalk and maybe you have more or maybe you have less than the rest of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 2004 Old 05-24-2012, 12:01 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:

Can you please tell that when (date) did you by the first unit.

Hi, Mankhan . . .

I bought my original 3010 exactly one month ago - April 24th. I have no idea when that unit was manufactured - or even when the new one was produced.

At first, when I cracked open the new box, I thought that I got the wrong Epson model for the replacement The lens cap for the replacement is a solid black . . . but the lens cap for the first unit is a slightly clear / somewhat translucent plastic cap. Not that this means anything . . . but it does indicate that maybe there could be more variables between individual units than one might expect.

I know you have been looking at 3D crosstalk issues. As an aside, I played parts of some 3D Blu-ray movies on the new unit that I've also seen on my original 3010. My original had crosstalk - but it certainly wasn't excessive. My Samsung 64" plasma has pretty aggressive looking crosstalk with a lot of 3D Blu-ray content.

I compared my replacement unit's 3D performance to what the new one offers (in terms of crosstalk) -- and I have to admit that this replacement projector shows slightly more crosstalk.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the new unit offers much more iris noise - and the 3D isn't quite as crosstalk free. BUT, the new unit produces a much sharper / clearer image. To me this means a ton. If a 1080p projector isn't able to resolve an image well, then it ain't truly HD, in my book. I can live with a bit more crosstalk (my Samsung plasma has taught me the virtues of this kind of acceptance). And when my audio is cranked, the iris noise won't bug me much.

But, hearing of Mankhan's 3D problems . . . and now having looked at two different 3010's, it's clear to me that the 3D performance isn't identical. Likely both are "within spec" (whatever that really means).

It's interesting to read here what folks are doing to get the most from their projectors . . . and the support from others is great too.

Heck, someone here should arrange a 3010 projector convention. We could all set up our units and compete for prizes in categories ranging from "Best Convergence 2012" to the "Calibration Man or Woman of the Year Award" or maybe "Best Performance from a Crosstalk-free 3010" . . . and perhaps . . . "Best Supporting (Silent) Iris Award". Could be kind of fun.

Ian
post #1473 of 2004 Old 05-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeger View Post

Hi, Mankhan . . .

I bought my original 3010 exactly one month ago - April 24th. I have no idea when that unit was manufactured - or even when the new one was produced.

At first, when I cracked open the new box, I thought that I got the wrong Epson model for the replacement The lens cap for the replacement is a solid black . . . but the lens cap for the first unit is a slightly clear / somewhat translucent plastic cap. Not that this means anything . . . but it does indicate that maybe there could be more variables between individual units than one might expect.

I know you have been looking at 3D crosstalk issues. As an aside, I played parts of some 3D Blu-ray movies on the new unit that I've also seen on my original 3010. My original had crosstalk - but it certainly wasn't excessive. My Samsung 64" plasma has pretty aggressive looking crosstalk with a lot of 3D Blu-ray content.

I compared my replacement unit's 3D performance to what the new one offers (in terms of crosstalk) -- and I have to admit that this replacement projector shows slightly more crosstalk.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the new unit offers much more iris noise - and the 3D isn't quite as crosstalk free. BUT, the new unit produces a much sharper / clearer image. To me this means a ton. If a 1080p projector isn't able to resolve an image well, then it ain't truly HD, in my book. I can live with a bit more crosstalk (my Samsung plasma has taught me the virtues of this kind of acceptance). And when my audio is cranked, the iris noise won't bug me much.

But, hearing of Mankhan's 3D problems . . . and now having looked at two different 3010's, it's clear to me that the 3D performance isn't identical. Likely both are "within spec" (whatever that really means).

It's interesting to read here what folks are doing to get the most from their projectors . . . and the support from others is great too.

Heck, someone here should arrange a 3010 projector convention. We could all set up our units and compete for prizes in categories ranging from "Best Convergence 2012" to the "Calibration Man or Woman of the Year Award" or maybe "Best Performance from a Crosstalk-free 3010" . . . and perhaps . . . "Best Supporting (Silent) Iris Award". Could be kind of fun.

Ian

dont settle for loud iris...thats a bug too andf many of us solved it with replacement PJs.
post #1474 of 2004 Old 05-24-2012, 01:37 PM

Liked: 10
Anyone with Epson 3010e with wireless setup has intermittent issue, that the screen goes black for few sec and comes back normal. The projector never showed any signal loss message. Please help.
post #1475 of 2004 Old 05-24-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

dont settle for loud iris...thats a bug too andf many of us solved it with replacement PJs.

Thanks falafala for this comment. I HATE having to swap stuff out for something that MIGHT be better. But, if the iris noise is an issue that a) Epson acknowledges as problematic and b) my projector could still be swapped out for a new one (not refurb) being just one month old - then I think I should contact them to see what they will do. At least my complaint will be on record if the damned iris breaks or (god forbid) gets even louder sometime soon!

My other (original) unit that I'm sending back made iris noise. Not having had an Epson before I don't know what to expect . . . it just didn't seem all that loud to me. It sounded like a mechanism engaging / disengaging with a bit of noise that was reasonable.

The new one makes about twice as much noise -- and some of the noise sounds like the iris is "fighting" to get into or out of place with noises that sounds like slight grinding. Not horrible . . . but way louder that unit #1.

Did your replacement seem that much better?

Thanks again.

Ian
post #1476 of 2004 Old 05-24-2012, 01:56 PM

That's one good thing about having 625 hours on my bulb now, It's past that super intense light that brand new bulbs have. Between my bulb being "broken in" and my calibration I leave my iris off now and have deep blacks. Running in Eco mode helps massively also.

Help a Family in need, Show Them We Care! Like it on Facebook and tweet it!
http://igg.me/p/171832?a=874546
post #1477 of 2004 Old 05-25-2012, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dear all, this forum is becoming more and more interesting and i agree wit you all regarding crosstalk. The problem starts when someone in the forum claims that he has zero or almost negligible crosstalk but now i see that every one here says that he/she is facing crosstalk with 3010. Like recently falafala watched happy feet and he claimed that with monsters his 99$ crosstalk was gone but with epson glasses he sees a lot of crosstalk so what is the conclusion, that 3010 has crosstalk, right? as not every one here has monsters besides Epson glasses also varies from one person to another. Like for myself, my epson glasses (i have 4) and Monsters glasses brings out same results, i.e., when i fine tune monsters to its best, Epson give the same results.

I already requested in the forum and it would be very nice to share your 3D experiences but a few people posted and then this thing stopped.

Like yesterday i watched again Megamind and with Epson and monsters glasses i see crosstalk almost through out, but it was not annoying to the extent that i could not watch it but to me on 3010 this movies has a lots of crosstalk. I enjoyed it but now if someone says here that with his 3010 he did not see crosstalk in Megamind then it would be disturbing for me. Right?

Let us please post here at least whenever you watch any 3D BD, please post here whether you see crosstalk or not using Epson glasses. Right? It would clarify the main issue of crosstalk, after all most of the people here purchased this 3010 for 3D purposes as we all were having before 2D projectors and were enjoying it at its max but now we must not talk from 2D point of view as this projector meant for 3D BD viewing purposes.

So now if you guys have Megamind in your possession then please watch is with your Epson glasses and post here whether you saw crosstalk or background ghosting or not. Please.

I shall be posting here regularly now whenever i shall see any 3D BD and whether there was crosstalk or not and request same to all of you. By comparing our results we shall be able to figure out the final capability of 3010 in terms of crosstalk.
post #1478 of 2004 Old 05-25-2012, 05:30 AM

Quote:

The new one makes about twice as much noise -- and some of the noise sounds like the iris is "fighting" to get into or out of place with noises that sounds like slight grinding. Not horrible . . . but way louder that unit #1.Ian

Dear Ian, I suggest that you must not worry about your Iris. To me its a useless feature as on dark scenes it makes the picture more dark as sometimes un watchable like if you watch Fright Night 2d version you shall enjoy mush less as with iris off as the whole movie is dark. Also if you might have noticed that while watching 3D, iris by itself goes to off as Epson intends to do that otherwise it would be chaos with iris on watching 3D BD. My iris is giving me noise from day one but since i am afraid that iris function is electronically controlled and has mechanical counterparts and it might get stuck or fail to respond then your unit shall not power on and you shall have to send it to service center or have to get replacement and to avoid all this i keep my iris off and am happy with that. I always get fully bright picture all the time showing all details. Is there any iris thingee in conventional cinema projection (in movie theaters)?
post #1479 of 2004 Old 05-25-2012, 10:29 AM

As much as I would Love to chime in on the 3D aspect of our PJs, we don't really use that feature here. First and foremost, I REFUSE to buy more glasses unless they are 20 to 30 dollars. Reason being, I bought a 3D plasma and had to buy 6 pairs of glasses (enough for everyone) and they were 150 Each! They pretty much cost the same as the plasma itself. Second, it pisses me off that each CE company makes glasses, charges that much for them and it only works for their brand, and even model specific in most cases. If I bought enough glasses for everyone to watch 3D on this projector, I'd own 12 effin pairs of glasses.... Screw that! Last but not least... I get a headache after an hour or so of watching. It's weird too because my plasma never gave me a headache, my eyes would bug out a bit though. I guess its the size of the screen now that makes it worse I suppose. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the price of almost all 3D blu rays is ridiculous lol.. 40 dollars for a blu ray... Shame on these movie studios! They try to justify it by putting a million disks in the package, disks that never even get touched I might add!

post #1480 of 2004 Old 05-25-2012, 10:52 AM

Mostly your concerns are cost related to which we all agree but 3010 is not expensive and it was made for poor people (I would say poor from Epson's point of view) otherwise most of us would have bought 5010 or 6010 but to me, I could have bought 5010 but the charm was that 3010 has good contrast too (40000:1 not bad at all), LCD, Full 3D and glasses are free in the box so from this point of view 3010 is amazing. No any one get close to it and then as i hear here and there, Epson's services are the best so what to worry. You dont see 3D much because 3D BD costs are high, then rent it, dont buy. There are some blu-ray rental chain that offer online perhaps for 5 bucks for a week and there are not much 3D BDs. You can rent them, make their back up on your HTPC and can watch again and again. You have enough glasses to have fun. Well these are just my thoughts. With all my due respect, If you dont see 3D much or dont really enjoy 3D then i dont see any purpose of buying it, there are better alternates for 2D projectors.
post #1481 of 2004 Old 05-25-2012, 11:13 AM

I agree that the cost of 3D material (unless through broadcast) isn't something that I'm going to rush out and spend a ton of cash on. First, there are still, essentially, only a hand-full of 3D Blu-ray titles available. Many are animated . . . and many simply either aren't great movies or the 3D is merely mediocre.

As time marches on, then maybe there will be some great "must have" titles worth purchasing. Hugo was a good film, but sadly on my Samsung plasma and on the 3010 the crosstalk problem with this title couldn't look worse.

But since there isn't enough great 3D to enjoy . . . I don't care if the 3D on the 3010 isn't great. Good enough, for me, is good enough. Heck, currently I've had a couple of issues with two 3010's . . . and getting a unit that produces a good 2D image has been my main priority. And this projector can make a great movie in 2D really shine! I hope that Hollywood doesn't start to retrofit tons of classics in 3D. I don't know who and to what purpose that would serve. It would be almost like going to view the Mona Lisa in Paris - only to find that the painting had been "enhanced" to be viewed in 3D. That would be pretty crass.

3D is definitely a selling feature of the unit . . . and it's great that 2 pairs of glasses came free with the 3010, where other manufactures charge extra for glasses. For me, 3D is a "toy" that's fun on occasion to use for a 3D Blu-ray rental or a great looking IMAX featurette. Btw, the IMAX stuff looks on my 3010 better than the Hollywood big budget releases. IMAX seems to take care to get shots offering great depth . . . and yes, even some "in your face" pop-off-the-screen moments. And the IMAX titles seem to have much reduced crosstalk - which kind of proves the projector can work well with material that is shot and mastered with care.

Ian
post #1482 of 2004 Old 05-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks falafala for this comment. I HATE having to swap stuff out for something that MIGHT be better. But, if the iris noise is an issue that a) Epson acknowledges as problematic and b) my projector could still be swapped out for a new one (not refurb) being just one month old - then I think I should contact them to see what they will do. At least my complaint will be on record if the damned iris breaks or (god forbid) gets even louder sometime soon!

My other (original) unit that I'm sending back made iris noise. Not having had an Epson before I don't know what to expect . . . it just didn't seem all that loud to me. It sounded like a mechanism engaging / disengaging with a bit of noise that was reasonable.

The new one makes about twice as much noise -- and some of the noise sounds like the iris is "fighting" to get into or out of place with noises that sounds like slight grinding. Not horrible . . . but way louder that unit #1.

Did your replacement seem that much better?

Thanks again.

Ian

dont be shy to demand best from Epson, because you deserve it and Epson is known to go above and beyond normal expectations.

also a bad iris sounds like a old harddrive or a creeky rusty door

my replacement has soft rumbling noise in HIGH speed mode and virtually inaudible in NORMAL speed
post #1483 of 2004 Old 05-25-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytown Fan; View Post

Second, it pisses me off that each CE company makes glasses, charges that much for them and it only works for their brand, and even model specific in most cases. If I bought enough glasses for everyone to watch 3D on this projector, I'd own 12 effin pairs of glasses.... Screw that!

mankhan,
This was the main reason.... Principle!

As far as renting 3d blu rays, here in Detroit Michigan... That's unheard of! No one rents them out here. I know there are much better 2d options out there as far as a projector goes but I bought an entire package (screen, PJ, mount and hdmi cable) and the combination of all of that met my standard of quality, price and needs. 3D was just a bonus really. In all reality, this is my "experiment" with a PJ set up. I always start small on something new like this, just to learn the ropes a bit before I go and sink thousands of dollars in to it. It's a better way for me to learn about the do's and don't's of something while at the same time enjoying it.

post #1484 of 2004 Old 05-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So now if you guys have Megamind in your possession then please watch is with your Epson glasses and post here whether you saw crosstalk or background ghosting or not. Please.

I have the Samsung mail-away version of Megamind, but I'd guess it's similar enough to a retail version for a comparison (if not exactly the same). I watched it with Epson glasses on my current (good) 3010 about 2 weeks ago.

I can't recall seeing any ghosting. Which probably means there was a little here or there and some other that I didn't notice because I wasn't looking for it. But it certainly wasn't a ghostfest.
post #1485 of 2004 Old 05-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

First, there are still, essentially, only a hand-full of 3D Blu-ray titles available. Many are animated . . . and many simply either aren't great movies or the 3D is merely mediocre.

I would politely disagree with that. I personally own about 20 titles or so know and there are probably 150-200 or so available. Maybe the definition of handful is relative, but I don't think we're in that ballpark anymore.

Then consider that almost all high profile movies this year are in 3D (TDKR excepted), there are going to be a lot of great 3D BDs coming in the next 12 months.
post #1486 of 2004 Old 05-25-2012, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytown Fan View Post

I REFUSE to buy more glasses unless they are 20 to 30 dollars.

I picked up 6 pair of Sony PS3 glasses (3010 compatible) when Bestbuy had them for $30. I'm very happy with them. My only concern is what happens to them when the internal battery no longer holds a charge... But there will probably be new glasses by then.
post #1487 of 2004 Old 05-25-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:

dont be shy to demand best from Epson, because you deserve it and Epson is known to go above and beyond normal expectations.

also a bad iris sounds like a old harddrive or a creeky rusty door

my replacement has soft rumbling noise in HIGH speed mode and virtually inaudible in NORMAL speed

I took your advice. I called Epson about the noise, and they had no problem sending out another unit (which I should get by Mon. or Tues). It doesn't seem the iris issue is new to them - so I think they are aware that the really noisy ones are an issue. I have to admit that the first having a poor image (sharpness issue) and the second a loud iris, I am keeping all fingers crossed that the next replacement is a good one. If not, at least I've still got t the unit with the better pic - but with noisy iris.

I figured I'd rather take a stab at getting a good unit while I still qualify for a new (not refurb.) replacement.

Thanks again falafala for your encouragement.

Ian
post #1488 of 2004 Old 05-25-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhonzi View Post

I would politely disagree with that. I personally own about 20 titles or so know and there are probably 150-200 or so available. Maybe the definition of handful is relative, but I don't think we're in that ballpark anymore.

Then consider that almost all high profile movies this year are in 3D (TDKR excepted), there are going to be a lot of great 3D BDs coming in the next 12 months.

I agree that there are lots of 3D discs available - but compared to the entire available Blu-ray catalog, it's small - but growing.

At first, I wanted to buy EVERYTHING 3D on Blu-ray (when I got my 3D Samsung plasma). This plasma has as much (or more) ghosting / crosstalk than my 3010. I soon realized that I would be better off to hold out until more great titles became available. As an example, I remember when DVD's first came out about 13 or 14 years ago I started to buy up stuff more because of the format than for the content.

For those who love 3D, the titles out there are a great way to jump in and enjoy some great 3D effects in the comfort of your own home.

As for the 3D performance level of the 3010 - it's not perfect. But, I am very happy with it nonetheless. The value from such a great light cannon is amazing. And, unlike a lot of other projector manufacturers, Epson gives us long life on the bulb. Plus the replacement cost of the lamp, while still expensive, is considerably cheaper than other manufacturer's replacement lamps.

I know everyone has different expectations from any product. But, to me, it's amazing that this projector does what it does for its price. I doubt that even a few years ago anyone would have thought that a big, bright, FULL 1080p 3D projector would reach the average consumer with a price tag of less than $1,500.00.

Ian
post #1489 of 2004 Old 05-25-2012, 02:49 PM

I just heard about new active shutter glasses from Samsung. They retail at Best Buy and elsewhere for only $19.00 / pair. They require a small battery and are non-rechargeable.

Although these are designed for Samsung 2011 and 2012 series products, they also support the new "universal" standard that I think should work with the Epson 3010. For $20.00 a pair, this is a price point I'm good with . . . especially if these same glasses will do double-duty with my 2011 Samsung plasma.

Here's a CNET review of the Samsung SSG-4100GB 3D glasses . . . http://reviews.cnet.com/home-enterta...-35171447.html

If anyone is using them, it would be good to know how they compare to the ones made by Epson.

Ian
post #1490 of 2004 Old 05-25-2012, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just heard about new active shutter glasses from Samsung. They retail at Best Buy and elsewhere for only $19.00 / pair. They require a small battery and are non-rechargeable.

Although these are designed for Samsung 2011 and 2012 series products, they also support the new "universal" standard that I think should work with the Epson 3010. For $20.00 a pair, this is a price point I'm good with . . . especially if these same glasses will do double-duty with my 2011 Samsung plasma.

Here's a CNET review of the Samsung SSG-4100GB 3D glasses . . . http://reviews.cnet.com/home-enterta...-35171447.html

If anyone is using them, it would be good to know how they compare to the ones made by Epson.

Ian

This is great news ! Wonder how well they work with 3010 ? If they are as good, I foresee selling one of the epson glasses and getting 3 of these for the same price

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SSG-41...7979491&sr=8-1
post #1491 of 2004 Old 05-25-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:

This is great news ! Wonder how well they work with 3010 ? If they are as good, I foresee selling one of the epson glasses and getting 3 of these for the same price

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SSG-41...7979491&sr=8-1

So are those RF glasses ? Would they work with a projector that was using the Monster/Optoma RF glasses and RF-transmitter ? Anyone know or try it yet ?
post #1492 of 2004 Old 05-25-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

I called Epson about the noise, and they had no problem sending out another unit (which I should get by Mon. or Tues). It doesn't seem the iris issue is new to them - so I think they are aware that the really noisy ones are an issue

good Epson seems to be very responsive and has no problem replacing problem unit's with another (even more than once or twice?). I'm curious, are they (Epson) providing "re-furbished" or "new" replacement unit's every time?

I'm still very interested in purchasing one of these projectors, seems the performance is good for the price. This would be my first projector. And, yes, part of my consideration is due to the fact that it is 3D capable.

I have two or three 3DBD titles in my collection, hoping to see more available later in this year. I'm more into drama, so I'm wondering if there will be much of a 3D market?
post #1493 of 2004 Old 05-26-2012, 02:46 AM

From the above posts so far I may gather that most of the people here dont watch 3D and dont have much of collection of 3D. There are almost 200+ 3D BDs available out there online either in US or on Amazon.de since year 2010 and one can have a lot of fun watching these 3D BDs again and again as 3D experience is entirely a different experience as compare to 2D, at least for me. I alone have about 150 3D BDs in my possession which I collected during last 5 months since I purchased 3010 and to be honest I do not have time to watch 2D movies unless some brand new master piece action movies comes out. I do not have any physical issues after watching 3D for hours and hours. My lamp life is now around 500 hr.

Since no one here care much of 3D so should we stop talking on 3D issues or we can?
post #1494 of 2004 Old 05-26-2012, 11:38 AM

Mankhan,
Why stop talking about it? You're defiantly more into the 3D aspect then most of us here but that doesn't mean the subject is dead. I own about 15 3D blu rays, and will buy more at the right price. I think each of us has our "thing" that we love most about our PJs, to me I love calibrating it, I spend countless hours, days and weeks tweaking and tweaking. I posted all about it with pictures and the discussion died out quickly. That doesn't mean I'll stop talking about it. Actually, you inspired me to watch a 3D movie today . I just thought of something too... I might have a way to do a calibration on the 3D!! My blu ray player does 2D to 3D conversion. I suppose if I put my calibration disk in and convert it to 3D it will at least give me some patterns I can use to make adjustments. I'll post my findings once I'm done.

Anyway, enough rambling lol

Enjoy watching 3D and post all your thoughts and findings because I like reading them!

post #1495 of 2004 Old 05-26-2012, 11:59 AM

3D is why I am looking into getting a projector. Sparked new interest. I sold my 2D projector just so I could go 3D.
post #1496 of 2004 Old 05-26-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytown Fan View Post

Mankhan,
Why stop talking about it? You're defiantly more into the 3D aspect then most of us here but that doesn't mean the subject is dead. I own about 15 3D blu rays, and will buy more at the right price. I think each of us has our "thing" that we love most about our PJs, to me I love calibrating it, I spend countless hours, days and weeks tweaking and tweaking. I posted all about it with pictures and the discussion died out quickly. That doesn't mean I'll stop talking about it. Actually, you inspired me to watch a 3D movie today . I just thought of something too... I might have a way to do a calibration on the 3D!! My blu ray player does 2D to 3D conversion. I suppose if I put my calibration disk in and convert it to 3D it will at least give me some patterns I can use to make adjustments. I'll post my findings once I'm done.

Anyway, enough rambling lol

Enjoy watching 3D and post all your thoughts and findings because I like reading them!

Agreed. But your calibration was appreciated by some including me and I posted in its favor however, my last post on your calibration, perhaps on page 49, was totally ignored so i shall repeat again as it was addressed to you. Just give it a look and reply, please as i was eager to know about your setup:

Dear Hockeytown Fan, from your calibration it appears that you are not using pure blu-ray 1080p progressive signals as your "progressive" and "Motion Detection" are not grayed out. Please check your BD player HDMI out setup again, it should give your projector 1080p progressive signals then both of these two settings shall be grayed out. I assume after that you need to run your calibration again.

Here it is from the manual page 42:

Progressive:
Converts interlaced to progressive signals. The projector uses 3D DigiScan HD Circuitry Processing for video-sourced images. Leave the setting on Film/Auto for viewing movies on a player that produces interlaced output. Select Video for watching videos captured with a video camera. Set to Off when viewing images with a large amount of movement.
Note: This setting can be used only when viewing a composite video signal, or 480i or 576i, or 1080i signals input through the Component, HDMI 1, or HDMI 2 ports (see page 81).

Motion Detection:
This setting specifies how signals are converted to progressive signals. Select a lower setting for slow-moving or still images (S) or select a higher number for video images (M).
Note: This setting can be used only when viewing a composite video signal, or 480i or 576i, or 1080i signals input through the Component, HDMI 1, or HDMI 2 ports (see page 81).

Also can you please put your projector's mode on "Living room" and run calibration and post the results, I shall be grateful.

Actually my screen size is 135 and on cinema mode it is quite dull so i am using living room for 2D and I have this SONY's blu-ray, give it a look here:
http://www.blu-elements.de/forsenses.html
and this blu-ray has SONY's calibration setup as well. I used it to adjust and found that living room's settings made by Epson are perfect for my screen. I do not have to calibrate it further except i like sharpness so i used sharpness->advanced and crank it a little further. Also i use both BD player and HTPC with nVidia GT 520 with PowerDVD 12. I have found out that HTPC gives better picture then a blu-ray player. Try your projector with HTPC using nVidia graphic card to get crisp quality picture as HTPC has so much variables to play with in order to calibrate your projector. Its fun.
Powerdvd has a feature as well 2D to 3D conversion and moreover, that i can make 3D small screen on my desktop and it will still be playing movie in 3D, so i adjusted/calibrated using same sony's calibration and found that 3D Dynamic is the best settings by Epson except that i increased sharpness to 5 as on 3D mode sharpness advanced cannot be used.
So myself busy too like you in calibration, etc and i like to do experiments as well on both video and audio as to me both goes together and I am very sensitive about both.
Please, please dont stop on any thing posting over here, whatever comes in anybody's mind please pour it here as such experiences by others are always helpful to some.
post #1497 of 2004 Old 05-26-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The big picture View Post

3D is why I am looking into getting a projector. Sparked new interest. I sold my 2D projector just so I could go 3D.

oh, yeah, thats the spirit. I wish I could sell my penny pt-ax200 as well.
post #1498 of 2004 Old 05-26-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:

Agreed. But your calibration was appreciated by some including me and I posted in its favor however, my last post on your calibration, perhaps on page 49, was totally ignored so i shall repeat again as it was addressed to you. Just give it a look and reply, please as i was eager to know about your setup:

Dear Hockeytown Fan, from your calibration it appears that you are not using pure blu-ray 1080p progressive signals as your "progressive" and "Motion Detection" are not grayed out. Please check your BD player HDMI out setup again, it should give your projector 1080p progressive signals then both of these two settings shall be grayed out. I assume after that you need to run your calibration again.

Here it is from the manual page 42:

Progressive:
Converts interlaced to progressive signals. The projector uses 3D DigiScan HD Circuitry Processing for video-sourced images. Leave the setting on Film/Auto for viewing movies on a player that produces interlaced output. Select Video for watching videos captured with a video camera. Set to Off when viewing images with a large amount of movement.

Motion Detection:
This setting specifies how signals are converted to progressive signals. Select a lower setting for slow-moving or still images (S) or select a higher number for video images (M).

Also can you please put your projector's mode on "Living room" and run calibration and post the results, I shall be grateful.

Actually my screen size is 135 and on cinema mode it is quite dull so i am using living room for 2D and I have this SONY's blu-ray, give it a look here:
http://www.blu-elements.de/forsenses.html
and this blu-ray has SONY's calibration setup as well. I used it to adjust and found that living room's settings made by Epson are perfect for my screen. I do not have to calibrate it further except i like sharpness so i used sharpness->advanced and crank it a little further. Also i use both BD player and HTPC with nVidia GT 520 with PowerDVD 12. I have found out that HTPC gives better picture then a blu-ray player. Try your projector with HTPC using nVidia graphic card to get crisp quality picture as HTPC has so much variables to play with in order to calibrate your projector. Its fun.
Powerdvd has a feature as well 2D to 3D conversion and moreover, that i can make 3D small screen on my desktop and it will still be playing movie in 3D, so i adjusted/calibrated using same sony's calibration and found that 3D Dynamic is the best settings by Epson except that i increased sharpness to 5 as on 3D mode sharpness advanced cannot be used.
So myself busy too like you in calibration, etc and i like to do experiments as well on both video and audio as to me both goes together and I am very sensitive about both.
Please, please dont stop on any thing posting over here, whatever comes in anybody's mind please pour it here as such experiences by others are always helpful to some.

Sorry mankhan, I didn't see this post you made. I wouldn't have ignored it. I'm glad you cought that as I missed explaining it. When I took those pictures, I had Comcast cable tv running at the time, was watching a hockey game. I hook up all my video sources to an hdmi switch and then run one hdmi cable to the PJ. Comcast cable tv only runs at a maximum 1080i, that's why those specific adjustments weren't greyed out. If I switch to my blu ray input on my switch, those particular adjustments grey out. As far as running a calibration on the "living room" mode, that's next on my list. Like I said in one of my posts about this, I want to have two calibrations for each video source. One for 100% dark and one for ambient light. What I have hooked up to my PJ is a blu ray player, cable tv, Xbox360 and a HD DVD player.

post #1499 of 2004 Old 05-26-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:

Ian

Anyone tried these yet?
post #1500 of 2004 Old 05-27-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i8mydog View Post

Anyone tried these yet?

Since I posed about these glassess, I kind of felt that I should go out and do a bit of research. I picked up a pair at Best Buy yesterday.

Damn . . . I was hoping that these would simply "turn on" and work. But sadly, I haven't yet been able to get the glasses to turn on to be able to sync with the projector (if it's even possible).

I haven't spent much time trying, but there is a site that the group owning the new universal glasses standard "Full HD Glasses" hosts. This is the technology that the new Samsung glasses has built into them. If you look at the page that I've linked of the Licensee List you can see that Seiko Epson IS listed for their 3D projectors. I do notice in the columns that show feature support that Epson doesn't show their products support IR Full HD. The Epson projectors do, however, support RF Full HD with the correct technology built in to the SSG-4100 glasses, at least according to this page.

The Samsung specs DO SAY the SSG-4100's support the Full HD RF protocol - which is what the projector is supposedly supporting - you can see this in the Web page devoted to the SSG-4100 glasses http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/t...ype=3d-glasses. And you can see that Epson projectors supposidy support this same proticol here . . . http://www.fullhd3dglasses.com/index.php/licensee-list/.

If anyone has any thoughts on what I should try to get the projector to work with these glasses, please let me know.

It would be awesome IF these $20.00 glasses would work for the Epson ... and in my case my Samsung 3D plasma too.

Ian
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010e Full Hd 1080p 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector With Integrated Spe , Projectors
Gear in this thread - 3010e by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page