post #1501 of 2004 Old 05-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeger View Post

Since I posed about these glassess, I kind of felt that I should go out and do a bit of research. I picked up a pair at Best Buy yesterday.

Damn . . . I was hoping that these would simply "turn on" and work. But sadly, I haven't yet been able to get the glasses to turn on to be able to sync with the projector (if it's even possible).

I haven't spent much time trying, but there is a site that the group owning the new universal glasses standard "Full HD Glasses" hosts. This is the technology that the new Samsung glasses has built into them. If you look at the page that I've linked of the Licensee List you can see that Seiko Epson IS listed for their 3D projectors. I do notice in the columns that show feature support that Epson doesn't show their products support IR Full HD. The Epson projectors do, however, support RF Full HD with the correct technology built in to the SSG-4100 glasses, at least according to this page.

The Samsung specs DO SAY the SSG-4100's support the Full HD RF protocol - which is what the projector is supposedly supporting - you can see this in the Web page devoted to the SSG-4100 glasses http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/t...ype=3d-glasses. And you can see that Epson projectors supposidy support this same proticol here . . . http://www.fullhd3dglasses.com/index.php/licensee-list/.

If anyone has any thoughts on what I should try to get the projector to work with these glasses, please let me know.

It would be awesome IF these $20.00 glasses would work for the Epson ... and in my case my Samsung 3D plasma too.

Ian

Now thats a bummer as these would have been a great addition to 3010 setup at such dirt cheap prices.

One thing comes to mind is if these glasses are RF based, then may be you need an RF emitter (like the one from Monsters) ?

BTW the 3010 does not support RF but only IR, so not sure what that page is talking about !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 2004 Old 05-27-2012, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Since I posed about these glassess, I kind of felt that I should go out and do a bit of research. I picked up a pair at Best Buy yesterday.

Damn . . . I was hoping that these would simply "turn on" and work. But sadly, I haven't yet been able to get the glasses to turn on to be able to sync with the projector (if it's even possible).

I haven't spent much time trying, but there is a site that the group owning the new universal glasses standard "Full HD Glasses" hosts. This is the technology that the new Samsung glasses has built into them. If you look at the page that I've linked of the Licensee List you can see that Seiko Epson IS listed for their 3D projectors. I do notice in the columns that show feature support that Epson doesn't show their products support IR Full HD. The Epson projectors do, however, support RF Full HD with the correct technology built in to the SSG-4100 glasses, at least according to this page.

The Samsung specs DO SAY the SSG-4100's support the Full HD RF protocol - which is what the projector is supposedly supporting - you can see this in the Web page devoted to the SSG-4100 glasses http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/t...ype=3d-glasses. And you can see that Epson projectors supposidy support this same proticol here . . . http://www.fullhd3dglasses.com/index.php/licensee-list/.

If anyone has any thoughts on what I should try to get the projector to work with these glasses, please let me know.

It would be awesome IF these $20.00 glasses would work for the Epson ... and in my case my Samsung 3D plasma too.

Ian

Good to know, I almost pulled the trigger at Amazon
post #1503 of 2004 Old 05-28-2012, 12:31 AM

Now that there are many more owners of the 3010, I'd like to ask for some input.
I have three 3010 paired with an electric screen which is controlled by infrared. The problem is during 3d playback if I hit the volume up button during intense 3d sequences the screen up command is activated, then I have to rush to hit the screen down button before I start to cut off the bottom of the picture.
Anybody else experience this? What do you do to counteract it? The projector doesn't have a screen trigger but maybe there's done other way to trigger the screen without IR.
Thanks!
post #1504 of 2004 Old 05-28-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzul View Post

Now that there are many more owners of the 3010, I'd like to ask for some input.
I have three 3010 paired with an electric screen which is controlled by infrared. The problem is during 3d playback if I hit the volume up button during intense 3d sequences the screen up command is activated, then I have to rush to hit the screen down button before I start to cut off the bottom of the picture.
Anybody else experience this? What do you do to counteract it? The projector doesn't have a screen trigger but maybe there's done other way to trigger the screen without IR.
Thanks!

Not heard of this one before.
If it is the volume up button that triggers your screen, maybe you could work around that by using a different route for your sound, or at least a different remote control system. Or, maybe you could put a piece of clear tape over your screen ir receiver to reduce its sensitivity, so it only accepts signals meant for it. If you are using an ir repeater remote blaster type thing, well, that would be it.
post #1505 of 2004 Old 05-28-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:

Thanks!

That's a new one on me also, my screen is RF. I'd try what the post below yours said to try. Put a piece of clear tape over the screens IR emitter and see if that helps. I had to do that with my plasma 3D glasses so they'd stop losing synchronization only I used electrical tape. Worked 95% better anyways....

Help a Family in need, Show Them We Care! Like it on Facebook and tweet it!
http://igg.me/p/171832?a=874546
post #1506 of 2004 Old 05-28-2012, 12:38 PM

Never thought of the tape idea, I'll try that.
Thanks!
post #1507 of 2004 Old 05-28-2012, 06:37 PM

Liked: 14
I have a question about the 3d glasses with the epson 3010. I know I push the button on the bottem to turn them on but what about turning them off. Will they shut off on there own or do I push the button again? Also what are the switches on the glasses by the hinges? Are those anything?
post #1508 of 2004 Old 05-28-2012, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilAlwaysWins View Post

I have a question about the 3d glasses with the epson 3010. I know I push the button on the bottem to turn them on but what about turning them off. Will they shut off on there own or do I push the button again? Also what are the switches on the glasses by the hinges? Are those anything?

You'll need to push and hold down the button to turn 'em off. The light indicator should flash indicating their powering down. The other switch near the ear piece hinge allows width adjustment for a better fit.
post #1509 of 2004 Old 05-28-2012, 09:06 PM

They also turn off automatically as soon as the projector is either shut off or it goes back to displaying 2D.

post #1510 of 2004 Old 05-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

I'm more into drama, so I'm wondering if there will be much of a 3D market?

Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby is in 3D this fall.
post #1511 of 2004 Old 05-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks!

Are you using the 3010 for sound? Or is it the Volume Up button on another remote? Or are you using the HDMI Link feature?
post #1512 of 2004 Old 05-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ian

You should also post about these in the Epson Glasses thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post22072704
post #1513 of 2004 Old 05-29-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhonzi View Post

Are you using the 3010 for sound? Or is it the Volume Up button on another remote? Or are you using the HDMI Link feature?

I use my Onkyo receiver for sound and a logitech harmony remote. I just wish there was a way to roof the screen trigger so when one of the other devices per on the screen starts to drop.
post #1514 of 2004 Old 05-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I use my Onkyo receiver for sound and a logitech harmony remote. I just wish there was a way to roof the screen trigger so when one of the other devices per on the screen starts to drop.

So it sounds like the harmony is sending a signal to the Onkyo that is being received/interpretted by the screen. What does this have to do with the 3010? Or are you saying that this only happens when the 3010 is blasting the IR glasses-synch-signal? That the screen's IR receiver is so confused by the synch-signal that it reacts to the volume up signal meant for the Onkyo?
post #1515 of 2004 Old 05-29-2012, 04:55 PM

It's embarrassing to even share this story, but I had the best customer service experience of my life with my Epson 3010 recently.

I didn't deserve or expect anything from Epson, but they were amazing. I'm a customer for life.

I posted the story here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=72469.0
post #1516 of 2004 Old 05-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Wow, amazing.

Manoj
post #1517 of 2004 Old 05-29-2012, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post

It's embarrassing to even share this story, but I had the best customer service experience of my life with my Epson 3010 recently.

I didn't deserve or expect anything from Epson, but they were amazing. I'm a customer for life.

I posted the story here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=72469.0

Great story and exceptional service. I am glad it worked out for you but since you cried a little I have to revoke your man card for 48 hrs.

Epson always seems to be the best company to deal with when it comes to product issues. I have yet to hear anyone speak negative about their service department.
post #1518 of 2004 Old 05-29-2012, 05:20 PM

I wouldn't have cried but I would have shat myself that's for sure Haha. Nice big ole linken log!

post #1519 of 2004 Old 05-29-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby is in 3D this fall.

cool, thanks! Funny, I can remember seeing "The Great Gatsby" at the theater when it was originally released (giving my age away)
post #1520 of 2004 Old 05-29-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

cool, thanks! Funny, I can remember seeing "The Great Gatsby" at the theater when it was originally released (giving my age away)

I get a kick from you youngsters.

I am 84

I know this OT but just after Memorial Day, a reminder
Worth reading again.

At a time when our president and other politicians tend to apologize for our country's prior actions, here's a refresher on how some of our former patriots handled negative comments about our country.

These are good

JFK'S
Secretary of State, Dean Rusk, was in France in the early 60's when
DeGaulle decided to pull out of NATO. DeGaulle said he wanted all US
Military out of France as soon as possible.
Rusk responded,"Does that include those who are buried here?"
DeGaulle
Did not respond.
You
Could have heard a pin drop.

When in England,At a fairly large conference, Colin Powell was asked by the
Archbishop of Canterbury if our plans for Iraq were just an example of
'empire building' by George Bush.
He answered by saying,
"Over the years, the United States has sent many of
Its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom
Beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for
In return is enough to bury those that did not
Return."
You Could have heard a pin drop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There was a conference in France

Where a number of international engineers
Were taking part, including French and American. During a break,
One of the French engineers came back into the room saying, "Have you
Heard the latest dumb stunt Bush has done? He has sent an aircraft
Carrier to Indonesia to help the tsunami victims. What does he
Intend to do, bomb them?"
A Boeing engineer

Stood up and replied quietly: "Our carriers have three
Hospitals on board that can treat several hundred people; they are
Nuclear powered and can supply emergency electrical power to
Shore facilities; they have three cafeterias with the capacity to
Feed 3,000 people three meals a day, they can produce several thousand
Gallons of fresh water from sea water each day, and they carry half a
Dozen helicopters for use in transporting victims and injured to and
From their flight deck. We have eleven such ships;

How many does France have?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A U.S. Navy Admiral

Was attending a naval conference that included
Admirals from the U.S., English, Canadian, Australian and French
Navies At a cocktail reception, he found himself standing with a large
Group of officers that included personnel from most of those countries.
Everyone was chatting away in English as they sipped their drinks but a
French admiral suddenly complained that, whereas Europeans learn many
Languages, Americans learn only English. He then asked, "Why is it that
We always have to speak English in these conferences rather than
Speaking French?"
Without hesitating,The American Admiral replied, "Maybe it's because the
Brit's, Canadians, Aussie's and Americans arranged it so you wouldn't
Have to speak German."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AND
THIS STORY FITS RIGHT IN WITH THE ABOVE...
Robert Whiting,An elderly gentleman of 83, arrived in Paris by plane.

At French Customs, he took a few minutes to locate his passport

In his carry on.
"You Have been to France before, monsieur?" the customs officer asked
Sarcastically. Mr. Whiting

Admitted that he had been to France
Previously.
"Then You should know enough to have your passport ready."
The American said,"The last time I was here, I didn't have to show it."
"Impossible.. Americans always have to show their passports on arrival in France !"
The American seniorGave the Frenchman a long hard look. Then he
Quietly explained, ''Well, when I came ashore at OmahaBeach on D-Day in
1944 to help liberate this country, I couldn't find a single Frenchmen
To show a passport to."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If You are proud to be an American, pass this on! If not, delete it.

I am proud to be of this land, AMERICA

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #1521 of 2004 Old 05-29-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:

So it sounds like the harmony is sending a signal to the Onkyo that is being received/interpretted by the screen. What does this have to do with the 3010? Or are you saying that this only happens when the 3010 is blasting the IR glasses-synch-signal? That the screen's IR receiver is so confused by the synch-signal that it reacts to the volume up signal meant for the Onkyo?

Yes, it's the projector blasting IR signals that causes the screen to freak out. I think what this boils down to is that I need to trigger the screen with and then off the IR for the screen. Wish there was a way to do this with my 3010!
post #1522 of 2004 Old 05-30-2012, 06:23 PM

Having a slight issue with my 3010. It is working but I am hearing a noise from the unit. Almost sounds like a harddrive running hard. Could there be a fan on the inside making the noise?
post #1523 of 2004 Old 05-30-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilAlwaysWins View Post

Having a slight issue with my 3010. It is working but I am hearing a noise from the unit. Almost sounds like a harddrive running hard. Could there be a fan on the inside making the noise?

nah, not the fan. you have the IRIS on and thats a normal sound mostly. some have had it really loud and thats defective but if it only sounds like a hard drive then that sounds normal. if it bothers you, hit the IRIS button on your controller and turn it off. If you have more then 500 hours on your lamp you really don't need that on anyways.

post #1524 of 2004 Old 05-30-2012, 08:06 PM

Hey thanks it is quiet now. Projector works great and the 3d is awesome.
post #1525 of 2004 Old 05-31-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Epson has an instant $100 rebate going on for this projector. Contact your dealer for details.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #1526 of 2004 Old 06-01-2012, 12:20 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

dont settle for loud iris...thats a bug too andf many of us solved it with replacement PJs.

Hey, falafala . . .

Thanks for kicking me into grear . . . the iris noise with my replacement unit was a lot louder than the first projector (that couldn't achieve good focus). So, after watching a few movies, it was obvious that the noise wasn't normal . . . it was just too loud.

I called Epson, and a second unit was shipped out. I've watched a couple of movies . . . and the iris is at least 10 times quieter than the last unit. In really quite scenes where the audio is practically non-existent, you can BARELY hear the iris do its thing. Plus, the unit has good focus and seems to work well.

The only disappointing aspect is that, while Epson said they would be sending a brand-new (not refurb) unit, there are a number of scuff marks (minor scratches) on the top of the unit ... plus another scuff mark on the right side. Also, along the horizontal seam (right side) where the white plastic top and bottom panels join there is what looks like some abrasion where someone had difficulty putting the top and bottom together without scraping the casing where it meets the bottom part of the plastic housing. It's minor damage, for sure. But, I can't figure how a new unit would look like this. Even one of the stickers on the bottom of the unit has something sticky on the face of it.

When you get a NEW replacement from Epson, the way it's packed looks exactly like a brand new unit - with all of the new looking manuals, AC cord, remote, etc. Epson instructed me to simply take the new unit from the new box, and then simply place the defective projector in the box they shipped the replacement in. They just ask that you keep all of your original accessories, and return the defective projector with all of the unopened accessories that came with the replacement. They must open up the units to removed the glasses - since both replacements were without the 3D glasses.

I think I'll simply keep this unit, even though it's a bit marked up. My only concern is that it's a refurb . . . but maybe some new units are market up from handling at the factory? Since my original purchase was within the first month when new units are promised replacements, I sure don't like the idea of a used (refurb) being sent out as new.

At least it works well . . . and one is supposed to look at the movie on the screen . . . and NOT at the projector itself (on-the-shelf) as the source of good entertainment.

The one aspect that makes me wonder about projector manufacturing in general is how different the three 3010's I've had have performed. The first - very poor sharpness. The second - great sharp image but super loud iris with 3D performance that had more ghosting than my first unit. If the iris hadn't been loud, I could live with the ghosting - not a deal breaker if the unit works well otherwise.

The 3D performance of the 2nd replacement is the best yet. I put in a couple of movies where slight ghosting was obvious with the first and second unit. This projector didn't show any - none at all! I then played a bit of Hugo (worst ghosting of any movie I own) and it still showed ghosting in a few spots where I expected to see it. But the ghosting was much less obvious.

It seems that the crosstalk / ghosting issue is something that really plays out differently - not only from one make vs. another - but even when comparing the same exact model against another of the same. These differences might be a due to various firmware versions in use, or perhaps different main boards, etc. are used in different production runs, for example.

Ian
post #1527 of 2004 Old 06-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey, falafala . . .

Thanks for kicking me into grear . . . the iris noise with my replacement unit was a lot louder than the first projector (that couldn't achieve good focus). So, after watching a few movies, it was obvious that the noise wasn't normal . . . it was just too loud.

I called Epson, and a second unit was shipped out. I've watched a couple of movies . . . and the iris is at least 10 times quieter than the last unit. In really quite scenes where the audio is practically non-existent, you can BARELY hear the iris do its thing. Plus, the unit has good focus and seems to work well.

The only disappointing aspect is that, while Epson said they would be sending a brand-new (not refurb) unit, there are a number of scuff marks (minor scratches) on the top of the unit ... plus another scuff mark on the right side. Also, along the horizontal seam (right side) where the white plastic top and bottom panels join there is what looks like some abrasion where someone had difficulty putting the top and bottom together without scraping the casing where it meets the bottom part of the plastic housing. It's minor damage, for sure. But, I can't figure how a new unit would look like this. Even one of the stickers on the bottom of the unit has something sticky on the face of it.

When you get a NEW replacement from Epson, the way it's packed looks exactly like a brand new unit - with all of the new looking manuals, AC cord, remote, etc. Epson instructed me to simply take the new unit from the new box, and then simply place the defective projector in the box they shipped the replacement in. They just ask that you keep all of your original accessories, and return the defective projector with all of the unopened accessories that came with the replacement. They must open up the units to removed the glasses - since both replacements were without the 3D glasses.

I think I'll simply keep this unit, even though it's a bit marked up. My only concern is that it's a refurb . . . but maybe some new units are market up from handling at the factory? Since my original purchase was within the first month when new units are promised replacements, I sure don't like the idea of a used (refurb) being sent out as new.

At least it works well . . . and one is supposed to look at the movie on the screen . . . and NOT at the projector itself (on-the-shelf) as the source of good entertainment.

The one aspect that makes me wonder about projector manufacturing in general is how different the three 3010's I've had have performed. The first - very poor sharpness. The second - great sharp image but super loud iris with 3D performance that had more ghosting than my first unit. If the iris hadn't been loud, I could live with the ghosting - not a deal breaker if the unit works well otherwise.

The 3D performance of the 2nd replacement is the best yet. I put in a couple of movies where slight ghosting was obvious with the first and second unit. This projector didn't show any - none at all! I then played a bit of Hugo (worst ghosting of any movie I own) and it still showed ghosting in a few spots where I expected to see it. But the ghosting was much less obvious.

It seems that the crosstalk / ghosting issue is something that really plays out differently - not only from one make vs. another - but even when comparing the same exact model against another of the same. These differences might be a due to various firmware versions in use, or perhaps different main boards, etc. are used in different production runs, for example.

Ian

my 2nd 3010 I got from Best Buy had similar scratches on the case and the lens had residue of some sopa solution....I concluded that it was a used unit and swapped it 3rd time with Best Buy which is the one i finally settled with.

unfortunately there seem to be a lot of quality control issues with this model, but the Epson customer service makes up for it....although its a bit of a hassle to go through the exchange process (thats why i chose to take advantge of Best Buy exhcnage policy till i was fully satisfied).
post #1528 of 2004 Old 06-01-2012, 01:55 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

my 2nd 3010 I got from Best Buy had similar scratches on the case and the lens had residue of some sopa solution....I concluded that it was a used unit and swapped it 3rd time with Best Buy which is the one i finally settled with.

unfortunately there seem to be a lot of quality control issues with this model, but the Epson customer service makes up for it....although its a bit of a hassle to go through the exchange process (thats why i chose to take advantage of Best Buy exchange policy till i was fully satisfied).

You are right, it is a hassle to go through the whole exchange thing. . . especially since you want to check a new unit over a bit of time to make sure all is good before settling on it.

I just called Epson to ask them if my new replacement was new or a refurb . . . they say the scratched unit is new. I think it may have just been rough handled either during manufacturing or maybe when subject to a random QA inspection. Who knows?

The agent at Epson that I talked with was awesome . . . when I mentioned the light scratching, he said, " . . . if it were my projector, I sure would like to get a new one scratched-up". He actually suggested getting a new unit. I said I'd think about it, since I have a lot of work related stuff that makes playing around with projectors a bit difficult. Maybe in a couple of weeks when things settle down a little I will see about it.

Epson has been very supportive. This isn't the experience I've come to expect with other consumer electronics companies. Like you say, if the quality control issues are problematic for this model, at least they take responsibility through their excellent customer care dept.

Tonight I have to ship back the replacement projector with the LOUD iris issue. Man, when I now have two 3010 projectors currently in my possession, I almost feel I'm on the verge of staring up my own AMC theater franchise!

Cheers.

Ian
post #1529 of 2004 Old 06-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6B2k...hannel&list=UL

now which of these 4 PJ's do you think is the winner ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAmATauC1Tg

I thought i missed something on 5010 but after seeing the above video, I am convinced that 3010 is a lot better. The 5010 image looks very similar to my 3010 if i place an ND2 filter in front....and I didnt like doing this as it dulls the brightness and color vibrancy.
post #1530 of 2004 Old 06-01-2012, 03:04 PM

I'm actually debating on selling my epson 3D glasses... I've tried and tried, the 3D gives me massive headaches

anyways... I'm kinda bummed out about it and not really sure I wanna cuz first, only one pair has been "tried/used" for about 45 min. second, the other pair hasn't been touched yet. other then that, the Epson 3010 is fooking Awesome! I love this projector!

heres a couple pictures of my HT

By the way, give me your opinion, speaker grills on or off? what looks better?

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010e Full Hd 1080p 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector With Integrated Spe , Projectors
Gear in this thread - 3010e by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page