Forum Jump: 

post #1981 of 2004 Old 10-11-2013, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My fellow 3010 proud owners!

Cant believe its almost 2 years since I got my 3010 and many of you also own it for that long.

How are you enjoying it? Are you itching for an upgrade? I for one want a 4k projector but thats not going to happen any time soon and am very happy with my 3010 so far.

In the last yer i ceiling mounted it and setup a 7.1 surround sound in my living room and installed a 150" and bought a Fusion Escape HT seating and have a poor mans mancave setup smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2004 Old 10-11-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

My fellow 3010 proud owners!

Cant believe its almost 2 years since I got my 3010 and many of you also own it for that long.

How are you enjoying it? Are you itching for an upgrade? I for one want a 4k projector but thats not going to happen any time soon and am very happy with my 3010 so far.

In the last yer i ceiling mounted it and setup a 7.1 surround sound in my living room and installed a 150" and bought a Fusion Escape HT seating and have a poor mans mancave setup smile.gif

Can't believe I've also had mine for almost 2 years as well (in December). Still very happy with mine. Other than a noisy iris which I just leave off it's been problem free. I use it primarily for 3D and the iris isn't activated then anyway. I frankly can't see that having it on makes any difference in 2D anyway so I never bothered to try to exchange it. I also have a Viewsonic Pro8100 that I use for most of my 2D.
Happy viewing!

Ed
post #1983 of 2004 Old 04-25-2014, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Everyone in these thread has been cheering how amazing 3D this projector has so I'm wondering if my unit is somehow defective as the 3D in my TW6000 (European equivalent to 3010) is really lame. The effect is just really faint and there's now wow neither in depth or pop out.
I have 100" screen and viewing it from ~3,5m. Besides Epson glasses, I have X-pand X104's and there's no difference in 3D depth perception. I use HTPC and PS3 as source. Video is routed via Yamaha RX-V3060.
If I view the same material, using same source, with my cheap 55" Sony HX755 the effect is from another planet. It's immersive, clear and gives nice depth feeling.

So, as the video source is same, only difference can be the output device. I returned my projector once as the first unit had terrible problem with reddish picture on the other side edge and bluish on the other, but really can't say if my current unit has severe crosstalk or if it's within "normal crappy" limits. Besides the crosstalk, is there anything that could possibly affect to the 3D perception or the impressiveness of 3D material? Unit still has warranty and the iris is keeping so loud noise that I cant bare to use it so that would be one way to try to switch the unit to a new one in case there could possibly be some benefits to 3D quality as well.

Has anyone else (especially those who have replaced their units from warranty) noticed any difference in the 3D quality between different units?
post #1984 of 2004 Old 04-25-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniiki View Post

Everyone in these thread has been cheering how amazing 3D this projector has so I'm wondering if my unit is somehow defective as the 3D in my TW6000 (European equivalent to 3010) is really lame. The effect is just really faint and there's now wow neither in depth or pop out.
I have 100" screen and viewing it from ~3,5m. Besides Epson glasses, I have X-pand X104's and there's no difference in 3D depth perception. I use HTPC and PS3 as source. Video is routed via Yamaha RX-V3060.
If I view the same material, using same source, with my cheap 55" Sony HX755 the effect is from another planet. It's immersive, clear and gives nice depth feeling.

So, as the video source is same, only difference can be the output device. I returned my projector once as the first unit had terrible problem with reddish picture on the other side edge and bluish on the other, but really can't say if my current unit has severe crosstalk or if it's within "normal crappy" limits. Besides the crosstalk, is there anything that could possibly affect to the 3D perception or the impressiveness of 3D material? Unit still has warranty and the iris is keeping so loud noise that I cant bare to use it so that would be one way to try to switch the unit to a new one in case there could possibly be some benefits to 3D quality as well.

Has anyone else (especially those who have replaced their units from warranty) noticed any difference in the 3D quality between different units?

I'm wondering if you need to reverse the timing of the glasses. Just for kicks try turning your glasses upside down when viewing a 3d movie. If this happens to solve the problem go into the menu for 3d setup (page 45 of the U.S. manual) under "Inverse 3D Glasses" and change it. Note that you can't use this setting when 3d format is on Auto. Hope this takes care of the problem. Sure sounds like it might. I've had my 3010 for close to 2 1/2 years and it does 3d very well.
Good luck!

Ed
post #1985 of 2004 Old 04-25-2014, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

I'm wondering if you need to reverse the timing of the glasses. Just for kicks try turning your glasses upside down when viewing a 3d movie. If this happens to solve the problem go into the menu for 3d setup (page 45 of the U.S. manual) under "Inverse 3D Glasses" and change it. Note that you can't use this setting when 3d format is on Auto. Hope this takes care of the problem. Sure sounds like it might. I've had my 3010 for close to 2 1/2 years and it does 3d very well.
Good luck!

Ed

Also there is a "3D brightness setting" that you can play with.

I don't see the annoying cross talk like i used to do before with my epson or ps3 glasses. May be replacing batteries fixed it.

But if you are seeing cross talk then the unit is defective and it will destroy the 3d effect.
post #1986 of 2004 Old 04-25-2014, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

I noticed my 2.5 year projector show slight flicker in some cases. Its not always there but once in a while the bulb seems to be flickering which changes the brightness over a few seconds.

I am running in ECO mode and also turned on hi altidue fan on and off but it does not seem to make a difference.

Has anyone seen this?
post #1987 of 2004 Old 04-25-2014, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 41
[quot="falafala" url="/t/1366241/my-epson-3010-projector-just-arrived/1980#post_24648392"]I noticed my 2.5 year projector show slight flicker in some cases. Its not always there but once in a while the bulb seems to be flickering which changes the brightness over a few seconds.

I am running in ECO mode and also turned on hi altidue fan on and off but it does not seem to make a difference.

Has anyone seen this?[/quote]

In my experience, this means the bulb is at the end of its life. Mine started doing this at about 4500 hours. I switched to using living room color setting and out of eco mode until about 5000 hours and the flickering was not present. Went ahead and put a new bulb in a couple of weeks ago and retired the old one.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10
post #1988 of 2004 Old 04-25-2014, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post

[quot="falafala" url="/t/1366241/my-epson-3010-projector-just-arrived/1980#post_24648392"]I noticed my 2.5 year projector show slight flicker in some cases. Its not always there but once in a while the bulb seems to be flickering which changes the brightness over a few seconds.

Has anyone seen this?

In my experience, this means the bulb is at the end of its life. Mine started doing this at about 4500 hours. I switched to using living room color setting and out of eco mode until about 5000 hours and the flickering was not present. Went ahead and put a new bulb in a couple of weeks ago and retired the old one.[/quote]

Thanks a lot for response. I thought this thread is dead and no one would respond smile.gif

Are you saying i should use it in one of the high power modes like living room or dynamic?

The brightness is plenty even in Cinema mode, which i use all the time as living room is too bring for me. The picture brightness has not gone down but it flickers (as if someone is shaking the projector) .

Is there any harm in letting the bulb die on its own?

also could you please post a link on where to get the bulb and how much?
post #1989 of 2004 Old 04-25-2014, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I had a warranty through Best Buy and they sent me a replacement bulb. I would order direct from Epson or a certified dealer. I think they run about $299. I'm not sure about running the bulbs until they expire, my parents had a couple explode. That could have been because mom was turning it off by using the button on the surge protector...

Mine stoped flickering in the brighter mode, I guess you have to choose between flickering or the image being too bright. I chose the brighter mode as I found the other annoying.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10
post #1990 of 2004 Old 04-25-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I got another lamp directly from Epson. It IS $299 but they periodically offer 10-15% off on their website. I got mine for $255 with free shipping-15% off. They just had 10% off but I think it's over now.

Ed
post #1991 of 2004 Old 04-25-2014, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the feedback on lamps. I will also try the high power mode next time it starts to flicker.

I am tempted to go cheap

http://www.amazon.com/V13H010L68-ELPLP68-V11H421020-V11H450020-Projectors/dp/B00FDRCAD0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398476298&sr=8-1&keywords=epson+3010+lamp

5 months warranty!
post #1992 of 2004 Old 04-26-2014, 02:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniiki View Post

Are you sure you have your 3d settings correct? What is your 2D source Bluray, SBS, OU?
You say you have a HTPC and PS3 as source, so are you saying the PS3 is somehow routed through the PC and you are using a software player?
post #1993 of 2004 Old 04-26-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

Thanks for the feedback on lamps. I will also try the high power mode next time it starts to flicker.

I am tempted to go cheap

http://www.amazon.com/V13H010L68-ELPLP68-V11H421020-V11H450020-Projectors/dp/B00FDRCAD0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398476298&sr=8-1&keywords=epson+3010+lamp

5 months warranty!

Good luck with cheap. My experience with aftermarket lamps (not for the 3010) wasn't good but some get lucky.

Ed
post #1994 of 2004 Old 04-26-2014, 09:40 AM

Thanks for suggestions everyone.
Old coprs, yes the timing is correct and 3D effect is there, but it's really lame compared to other 3D output devices. Hard to explain but like said, it's just not that impressive at all like it's on other devices, even small TV screens. For instance in Gravity 3D where pieces fly towards viewer I feel a need to dodge when watched in 3D theater or even using my 55" Sony. With Epson it's just... well really poor.

falafala, yea I've experienced with 3D brightness with different films but doesn't seem to make any difference to the depth effect. Only helps to fade away that crosstalk. Crosstalk is really noticeable, even with lowest brightness. Maybe that's the reason for poor effect as, if I adjust "depth" (separation) with my sony, I get really bad crosstalk on Sony too and 3D effect suffers heavily. Would be nice to have such setting on this projector too.

ashyt16, yes my settings should be correct and like said, same film with same source with different output device looks like it should. I have 2 HDMI outputs from my Yamaha, other one going to my Sony TV.
I've done these tests with all those source materials you mentioned (bluray discs, PS3 games, SBS and half-SBS). On HTPC I've used PowerDVD 13 and MPC-HC.
post #1995 of 2004 Old 04-26-2014, 11:18 AM

Not sure if this is helpful at all but here's two shots from Gravity 3D bluray through X-pand X104. First with 3D Brightness set to high and in second set to low. Crosstalk can be seen clearly in subtitles and it's equal bad in higher contrast scenes. Gravity isn't the best example material as the 3D in the film is subtle and therefore it doesn't suffer from crosstalk that much. Eventho, the 3D experience with Epson was relatively lame.

post #1996 of 2004 Old 04-26-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Very strange, don't know what else to suggest but something is amiss. 3d on my 73" Mitsubishi TV is very good. On my 120" screen with the 3010 it's great.confused.gif Best of luck!

Ed
post #1997 of 2004 Old 04-27-2014, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Just when I was thinking I was the only one fluttering brightness I come across this

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1501609/epson-3010-fluttering-brightness
post #1998 of 2004 Old 06-11-2014, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
epson result is the absolute , me the use product their, absolute much
post #1999 of 2004 Old 06-12-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhngoc233 View Post
epson result is the absolute , me the use product their, absolute much

WOW! Really???

Ed
post #2000 of 2004 Old 07-15-2014, 11:02 PM

Hey all... did Epson ever release a firmware update for the 3010? I had hopes they would since it was the first generation but the Epson website doesn't show anything.

I found a link earlier in this thread here but it's not active:
My Epson 3010 projector just arrived!
post #2001 of 2004 Old 07-16-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsbwc34 View Post
Hey all... did Epson ever release a firmware update for the 3010? I had hopes they would since it was the first generation but the Epson website doesn't show anything.
You are going to have to call Epson support to request the firmware update.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #2002 of 2004 Old 08-06-2014, 05:13 PM

Hello guys! The thread's alive and kicking.

Just wanted to ask (especially falala) your viewing distance from the PJ and how many inches you've set it?

I recently foudn out that sitting farther from the PJ at 100", the Crosstalk seems to be reduced. I have a hybrid HT set-up, the second row elevated by a custom made platform. It seems like sitting on the second row gives us lesser crosstalk, though sometimes it's still really noticeable.

I have to set it to 3D Brightness: LOW in order to reduce some of the really bad crosstalk. Games have no hope either.

And also, could you guys share your settings? Having the PJ for 2 years now kinda bores me, just something to keep the "fire" alive you get what I'm saying?

Thank you all!
post #2003 of 2004 Old 08-06-2014, 05:58 PM

Sad that my set has horrible 3D. Tried the Panasonic 3rd Gen and EPSON Glasses... funny that it seems seating distance plays a part on the crosstalk as I've recently discovered. I have a hybrid HT (sometimes it serves as a karaoke room, a must here in our country) so I have pretty much controlled lighting. When I sit further, crosstalk seems to be minimized but it still there.

My only option is to turn the 3D Brightness to LOW, anything higher will display obvious crosstalk.

Last resort: heard about the PS3 glasses that seems to work well with EPSON and some have said (on other forums) that they reduce crosstalk. After that, I give up on 3D on this set if it's still horrible.

Also another note to users of this projector, turning on ECO mode for a long time will result in "flickering brightness". Someone offered me a more scientific explanation on this one, but basically the solution is to turn it to Normal Mode for several hours before switching back to ECO.

The flickering brightness will still be there though, so if your PJ has it, it will be a recurring problem. Shame that knocking the brightness down to ECO offers respectable blacks.

My post on another forum. FYI to all.
post #2004 of 2004 Old 09-04-2014, 06:21 AM

Hello everyone. Hope every body is still enjoying 3010 like I do. It is great projector. OK. I live abroad and I need to buy 3010's lamp and I went through some websites who are selling this lamp and have international shipment but the issue is that on some websites lamp's price is as low as 89$ and on some websites lamp price is 299$ so i am bit confused and all claim these to be genuine lamps. Can any give me advise on this issue that which lamp I should purchase. These low priced lamps i guess are after market then why they claim that these are genuine? Does any one here had experience with aftermarket lamps and are they working good so far??
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010e Full Hd 1080p 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector With Integrated Spe , Projectors
Gear in this thread - 3010e by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page