AVS Forum banner
299K views 2K replies 291 participants last post by  hoopsbwc34 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone! So I think this is my first post I've been reading the site for what seems like a long time now. So many great insights and technical as well as moral support on here. Anyways I just received my Epson 3010. I did an unboxing video and put it up on youtube. I listed the link below. Ill have a more in-depth review up most likely tomorrow. I felt like this could be a good way to introduce myself, but for now you'll all have to be a little patient...

-Rob

See less See more
#1,929 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeronimo922  /t/1366241/my-epson-3010-projector-just-arrived/1890#post_22845734

The way I am planing to do this (screen) is with no actual border/frame on the projection face. I want to use the entire wall for the painted screen area and then paint the 90 degree walls on left/right corners and sloping ceiling black.. along with bottom 1/3 of the projection wall. The wall is 9'feet, so that would be 6'feet of screen with 3'feet of black painted below, with the outer walls and ceiling painted back probably about 2 (1/2)' feet each. The wall is built as an alcove with a vaulted ceiling

So before I head over to the DIY section I'd like yours or others feedback on this for the moment .

These are pictures from dead on, to angled to see each sides reflections and slope of ceiling

I would reconsider not using a black felt type border. Adding one would make for a cleaner looking image.

#1,930 ·
Looking for a good budget PJ. Will the 3010 fit the following scenario and be a good option?

16 Ft throw

120" 16:9 AT Screen

80% TV/Sports 20% Movies/Games

Room is not 100% light controlled, open media room

The PJ will need to be mounted 11-13" above the screen..

Can the 3010 work?

If so, recommend places with best pricing to obtain?

#1,931 ·
No. You want a 5010. You need Lens Shift & the additional Lumen output, and the much greater contrast only adds the icing.

Look around...5010s are to be had for less than you might expect. And since your going "ATl, every asset of tbe 5010 is essential.

#1,932 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala  /t/1366241/my-epson-3010-projector-just-arrived/1890#post_22793435

Several months ago, I had great success with LCD alignment when I had my 3010 on a table. Now I mounted it on ceiling and by mistake deleted all my LCD alignment settings and tried to do it again and this time it was a horrible experience as I could not see what the hell was going on with the cross-hairs on both RED and BLUE. Now my LCD is worse off than without alignment

Does anyone have any success with aligning ceiling mounted 3010? I vaguely remember there was some issue with ceiling mounting that was fixed on 5010 with a FW upgrade. If so anyone tried FW upgrade of their 3010 ?

Being too lazy to update the FW, I tried the LCD alignment again with my 3010 ceiling mounted and this time I looked at the opposite side of the screen than what the yellow box would highlight and I was able to see I could align the blue and red again! It was a bit of pain, but got the alignment to work as before.

#1,939 ·
I was looking into getting a CIH setup as I was tired of the scope format on my 120" screen. Then quickly dropped that idea as its way too expensive (around 5k). Then I went for a 150" screen with some hesitancy about drop in lumens, but I am glad to report that 3010 beautifully fills up my massive screen and the brightness is just right even with Eco lamp and Cenema mode (if anything on 120" it was too bright). 3D is also bright. Now the scope format looks awesome and I dont crave the CIH setup anymore.

I also found someone came up with less than 150$ option to create a CIH setup....he does not explain exactly what he did but its interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivvcW-t50sI

#1,941 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala  /t/1366241/my-epson-3010-projector-just-arrived/1920#post_23013884

I was looking into getting a CIH setup as I was tired of the scope format on my 120" screen. Then quickly dropped that idea as its way too expensive (around 5k). Then I went for a 150" screen with some hesitancy about drop in lumens, but I am glad to report that 3010 beautifully fills up my massive screen and the brightness is just right even with Eco lamp and Cenema mode (if anything on 120" it was too bright). 3D is also bright. Now the scope format looks awesome and I dont crave the CIH setup anymore.

I also found someone came up with less than 150$ option to create a CIH setup....he does not explain exactly what he did but its interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivvcW-t50sI

VERY cool! Can you share where you got the lens (Canon hf s21 s200) and how you attached it? The youtube video was impressive!

Thanks!

Ed

#1,942 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps  /t/1366241/my-epson-3010-projector-just-arrived/1920#post_23015892

VERY cool! Can you share where you got the lens (Canon hf s21 s200) and how you attached it? The youtube video was impressive!

Thanks!

Ed

It's not his video, he simply linked it, here is a link to a video on the same basic lens (these have been discussed on AVS before).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VGTCT1yKBU

Expect some image distortion with an inexpensive wide angle lens, I have seen one in use, they are not really designed for projection use but they do get the job done if your goal is to do it cheaply.

Here is one of the cheap ones... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wide-Angle-Lens-for-Canon-VIXIA-HF-S20-HF-S21-HF-S200-/130527867447

Jason

#1,943 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp  /t/1366241/my-epson-3010-projector-just-arrived/1920#post_23016021

It's not his video, he simply linked it, here is a link to a video on the same basic lens (these have been discussed on AVS before).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VGTCT1yKBU

Expect some image distortion with an inexpensive wide angle lens, I have seen one in use, they are not really designed for projection use but they do get the job done if your goal is to do it cheaply.

Here is one of the cheap ones... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wide-Angle-Lens-for-Canon-VIXIA-HF-S20-HF-S21-HF-S200-/130527867447

Jason
What's not obvious to me is what exactly is this lens doing? It certainly not an anamorphic lens as 3010 does not support this format. So is it just giving extra zoom that looks good for scope?

#1,944 ·
#1,945 ·
Complete waste of time fitting an nd filter as all you are doing is reducing the light output so you are doing nothing for the perceived contrast ratio.

Far better results can be had with a grey screen as this not only improves the blacks but it also reduces ambient light reflecting off the screen improving things further. And tbh you wouldn't even know you was using a grey screen as whites still look white.

#1,946 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyt16  /t/1366241/my-epson-3010-projector-just-arrived/1920#post_23026349

Complete waste of time fitting an nd filter as all you are doing is reducing the light output so you are doing nothing for the perceived contrast ratio.

Far better results can be had with a grey screen as this not only improves the blacks but it also reduces ambient light reflecting off the screen improving things further. And tbh you wouldn't even know you was using a grey screen as whites still look white.

I already have a Da-Lite high gain screen. When I first got the projector I saw that post where someone tried out the ND filter earlier in this thread and posted shots of the results. It looked pretty good. I figured I would just use the projector as is and maybe down the road try out the filter. I was watching something the other night with and a nighttime scene kinda made me think about the filter thing.

#1,949 ·
Joining the group of proud epson 3010 owners. I found it for $540 on bestbuy (open box, 400hrs on bulb and missing 3d glasses), and $129 for 2 yr warranty with bulb replacement.

My throw distance is about 17 feet, and just ordered 125 inch elite screen from amazon.

Projection on the wall of about 150 inch is wonderful...so I am sure 125 would be great.

Have yet to try 3d...

#1,950 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drriddhish  /t/1366241/my-epson-3010-projector-just-arrived/1920#post_23039757

Joining the group of proud epson 3010 owners. I found it for $540 on bestbuy (open box, 400hrs on bulb and missing 3d glasses), and $129 for 2 yr warranty with bulb replacement.

My throw distance is about 17 feet, and just ordered 125 inch elite screen from amazon.

Projection on the wall of about 150 inch is wonderful...so I am sure 125 would be great.

Have yet to try 3d...

Welcome to the club. WOW you STOLE it!

Ed

#1,951 ·
Anyone found a good way to have OTA ATSC tuner to connect with epson 3010? I was looking at channel master, boxee, tivo etc, and they are either very expensive or most of the unit seems to be unreliable or burn out in 2-4 years. Thanks in advance..

and how well does vudu 3d works on the epson 3010?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.