HD70 bulb or color wheel? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 10-15-2011, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Optoma HD70 DLP projector with over 1700 hours on the bulb. The picture was getting dim and would kind of flicker between bright and dim. Then after a while I started seeing color cycling, then a whining sound, then a shut off. That I now know to be a color wheel issue. I got a new bulb, and disasebmled the projector and pulled the color wheel out. I had some dust build up and cleaned out the whole projector and the contacts and motor on the color wheel. I put it all back togeather and it worked great! I was able to finish a movie and then went to sleep. Today I got up and watched an episode of ST:TNG and then played a game about an hour on my PS3 with no issues. That was about 2 hours ago. Now I just turned on my projector again and from the moment I turned it on it was changing between bright and dim at a steady pace about once every two seconds right on beat. Then without a whine or color cycle it just shut off and my orange lamp light turned on.

Is this sign that the color wheel is bad and needs to be replaced? I was hoping I got lucky and could get away with cleaning it. I just bout a bulb for $160 only to find out I may need to spend another $160 for the color wheel.

Any help would be great.

-Mikah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-17-2011, 02:00 PM

I had similar problem---my unit is not 5 years old. The color wheel went out right under the warranty deadline and they replaced it. About a month ago it started doing same thing you are describing---it would turn on for about 15 min---flicker, and then make beeeep and go black.

I sent it back to TSC for service an it is the PCBA Main BE Entek to the tune of $500---main board as they described it to me.

At this point I'm looking at replacement vs. repair and caution you that it could be similar problem and cost to repair.
post #3 of 15 Old 10-18-2011, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

So you are saying its the main board? Any idea what about the main board? Was it caps? Or was it needing the whole board replaced?
post #4 of 15 Old 10-18-2011, 10:50 AM

My understanding is they have to replace the whole board. I liked the Optoma when it worked but 2 major issues in 5 years has me leaning to the Epson to replace.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-18-2011, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmountie1 View Post

My understanding is they have to replace the whole board. I liked the Optoma when it worked but 2 major issues in 5 years has me leaning to the Epson to replace.

Thanks! I was looking at an Epson as well. I saw one at BestBuy ( I hate shopping there but my wife just got a job there. Yay discount!) for $1299. The Epson PowerLite 8350

Its a lot larger compaird to my HD70, but does 1080p and is about 300 lumens brighter. Plus 50,000:1 contrast ( Im asuming thats dynamic ), plus an extra HDMI would be nice.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-18-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
Try to buy one off Ebay with a bad lamp or no lamp as cheap as you can, swap the parts.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-18-2011, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
That's the way it is most projector manufacturers. Very few repair at component level.

Quote:

post #8 of 15 Old 10-18-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotopolis View Post

Thanks! I was looking at an Epson as well. I saw one at BestBuy ( I hate shopping there but my wife just got a job there. Yay discount!) for $1299. The Epson PowerLite 8350

Its a lot larger compaird to my HD70, but does 1080p and is about 300 lumens brighter. Plus 50,000:1 contrast ( Im asuming thats dynamic ), plus an extra HDMI would be nice.

Same "concerns" I had... plus I don't want to invest another grand really...lol
Visual Apex had it for $100 off....I'm trying to make sure it doesn' cost more to ship.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-18-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan1952 View Post

That's the way it is most projector manufacturers. Very few repair at component level.

Sheridan--
I'm very "green" at this.... What do you mean exactly--very few repair at component level?
Thnx
post #10 of 15 Old 10-18-2011, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

"Component-level" means testing and replacing the components on the boards, i.e., resistors, capacitors, etc. This takes a lot more time than simply replacing the assembly. Granted, in terms of parts cost, replacing components can be cheaper unless the proprietary components are involved, such as some of the ICs.

Quote:

Sheridan--
I'm very "green" at this.... What do you mean exactly--very few repair at component level?
Thnx

post #11 of 15 Old 10-18-2011, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

I concidered ebay, but there is no gurentee that is just the bulb or somehting simple to fix. Could be worse off after something like that.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-18-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan1952 View Post

"Component-level" means testing and replacing the components on the boards, i.e., resistors, capacitors, etc. This takes a lot more time than simply replacing the assembly. Granted, in terms of parts cost, replacing components can be cheaper unless the proprietary components are involved, such as some of the ICs.

Got ya...thanks. So it could be something simpler but easier to fix whole thing...sounds a lot like today's cars...with all the computer components.

OK so let me ask another stupid question---I sent this to TSC--Optoma authorized s/c in CA. Would it do any good to try and find a local place that might try to zero in on the components vs. whole board? Longshot at best I figure....just need to go new...
post #13 of 15 Old 10-18-2011, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
There's a HD70 with a broken colorwheel for .99cts right now. He says there's a picture but it's B&W that's a shattered wheel for sure. There's your video boards. You already have a spare lamp.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 15 Old 10-18-2011, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Chances are, the local people would just replace entire board. Why? Because there are no service manuals that go down to that level for most projectors. So with no schematics or useful manuals, then all they can do is replace assemblies.

Quote:

Got ya...thanks. So it could be something simpler but easier to fix whole thing...sounds a lot like today's cars...with all the computer components.

OK so let me ask another stupid question---I sent this to TSC--Optoma authorized s/c in CA. Would it do any good to try and find a local place that might try to zero in on the components vs. whole board? Longshot at best I figure....just need to go new...

post #15 of 15 Old 10-18-2011, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

There's a HD70 with a broken colorwheel for .99cts right now. He says there's a picture but it's B&W that's a shattered wheel for sure. There's your video boards. You already have a spare lamp.

Thanks! Found it!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page