The Official Acer H9500BD Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 4744 Old 12-20-2011, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been working at getting my home theater setup to accommidate the Acer. There are a couple of issues that came up for me. 1.) When trying to change the dynamic black(iris) from medium to off, the picture would go black and not reappear. 2.) 3D games on the PS3 did not consistently sync with the glasses, leading to blurriness and a dark picture. 3.) The dynamic iris displayed the pumping or yo-yo on Netflix on the PS3, some 720p video files I had, and PS3 games, but not on blu-ray video. 4.) It does not appear to remember source settings for the picture, it seems like to have to set them up everytime. 5.) There did appear to be one part of the picture that showed reddish black that was not consistent, but on one part of the screen.

Here is a big tip I'll give to those that don't know: if you are using a PS3, you can set the RGB to full, but do not set it to full on the Acer, instead, set to auto or limited. When I figured this out the blacks look substantially darker and less washed out.

I also had a couple of specs in the center of the image that look like dust specs, so I ended up sending it back to Newegg within my 30 day replacement time. i didn't want to compromise on a product that new. I love the projector overall and realize when you're on the bleeding edge of technology and bargains there will have to be compromises. Hopefully when I get it back I'll have a new sub and my room setup up properly.

Some other movies that are good for black levels are 300, the Underworld Trilogy. If you can get it, the Kuro Experience video, it can be downloaded on a demo trailer website.

I know I'm no expert, but I think the 2D looks fantastic. The 3D blu-ray is not too dark. I would probably disable dynamic iris in anything but blu-ray, as it does not seem to hamper contrast all that much from what I could see. I'm looking forward to getting my replacement back, hopefully by the new year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4744 Old 12-20-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Pretty much every IRIS exhibits some pumping in gaming machines or HTPC, too many close to full on/off shots, so nothing to really worry about.

I used to turn off IRIS's on almost every machine I ever had when gaming, including a Sony, or I'd at least turn the IRIS down to a milder setting.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #543 of 4744 Old 12-20-2011, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

My advice would be to buy it from a place with a good return policy and see for yourself how you feel about the color accuracy. Personally, it is not a dealbreaker for me, but it may be for others.

It is too bad that Acer did not address the shortcomings of the CMS. Otherwise, it would probably be the perfect projector under $2K.

That is why I am waiting for Amazon to get this back and put up a good price hopefully. I am sure the pic looks good but of course I will have to play with it with the processor in my AVR. If this plan (Amazon) does not work for me I will sell my 8350 and skip the comparisons and probably go for the Benq 7k pending reviews although I really don't want to spend that kind of money on a PJ when we all know the next best thing is right around the corner lol. Have a look. That is if I can get out of this year without another financial setback.
post #544 of 4744 Old 12-20-2011, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCKCHILLOUT View Post

I have been working at getting my home theater setup to accommidate the Acer. There are a couple of issues that came up for me.
1.) When trying to change the dynamic black(iris) from medium to off, the picture would go black and not reappear.
Mine has not done this. I was switching between on and off while watching a movie a few times to watch for the difference, never lost picture. Think I recall you saying you did this while paused, I always did it while playing if that makes a difference?
2.) 3D games on the PS3 did not consistently sync with the glasses, leading to blurriness and a dark picture.
Only game I have played in 3D on the PS3 was Assasins Creed almost beginning to end, so more then a few hours. Never lost sync while playing.
3.) The dynamic iris displayed the pumping or yo-yo on Netflix on the PS3, some 720p video files I had, and PS3 games, but not on blu-ray video.
Have not viewed Netflix streaming or a 2D movie on the PS3. But I have experienced a bit of the yoyo effect in some DVD title's played from my laptop. But for the most part dynamic set at medium I never see the yoyo effect. So you may be on to something with the under 1080P content. Though I never notice the yoyo with 3D gaming off the PS3.
4.) It does not appear to remember source settings for the picture, it seems like to have to set them up everytime.
Hmm, I think mine has been remembering. I do know settings in 2D do not stay for 3D, 3D has it's own setting's.
5.) There did appear to be one part of the picture that showed reddish black that was not consistent, but on one part of the screen.

Here is a big tip I'll give to those that don't know: if you are using a PS3, you can set the RGB to full, but do not set it to full on the Acer, instead, set to auto or limited. When I figured this out the blacks look substantially darker and less washed out.

I also had a couple of specs in the center of the image that look like dust specs, so I ended up sending it back to Newegg within my 30 day replacement time. i didn't want to compromise on a product that new. I love the projector overall and realize when you're on the bleeding edge of technology and bargains there will have to be compromises. Hopefully when I get it back I'll have a new sub and my room setup up properly.

Some other movies that are good for black levels are 300, the Underworld Trilogy. If you can get it, the Kuro Experience video, it can be downloaded on a demo trailer website.

I know I'm no expert, but I think the 2D looks fantastic. The 3D blu-ray is not too dark. I would probably disable dynamic iris in anything but blu-ray, as it does not seem to hamper contrast all that much from what I could see. I'm looking forward to getting my replacement back, hopefully by the new year.

Added some replies in bold green while quoting you. I think you did the right thing sending it in. The losing video while switching dynamic medium to off and the losing sync while playing on the PS3 in 3D are not happening on mine.
post #545 of 4744 Old 12-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Got my H9500BD set up in my theater last night and first impressions are holy crap this thing looks incredible ! Had some trouble though as I was planning on shelf mounting it on top of my rack where my Epson 8100 (thought I had 6100 but it is 8100, bad memory) used to be but there is no option for shelf mount. Ended up mounting it upside down on top of my rack on top of a laptop cardboard box I found in a closet and using the packing material from the PJ box and some cardboard shims managed to McGyver it into almost perfect position requiring very little vertical or horizontal lens shift ! Actually the cardboard box was perfect size as my UH380 anamorphic lens fit on there also !

I did not get my Oppo BDP 93 in the system yet so no 3D testing as of now. BluRay player for now is Sony S550 and Lumagen ProHDP video processor does the vertical stretch and other color management. The Lumagen does allow me to lower the black level even further than it already is which is really good, way better than the Epson 8100.

So last night I watched Transformers Dark of the Moon. Of course most of the movie was spent fiddling with the controls and settings, and this is not a good movie to test colors as it has a little bit "burnt" tone to most of it. However black level, contrast, and detail looked great. I tried the 2D to 3D conversion on this movie and it looked like, well...3D! No ghosting at all and really clean, I enjoyed it...

Today I wanted to try a darker Sci-Fi type movie, so I put in "Splice" 2D Bluray. It looked stunning, shadow detail was good. There is one scene where it goes to complete black, and the H9500BD got it very black, much blacker than my Epson would ever do. There is another frame where it goes to complete white, and bright white it was..Colors looked good but i did notice skin tones a little washed out, there is a "skin tone" adjustment in the color management section, the default is zero, and I ended up with it at level 4 out 5, seemed to help some...Anyway, I ended up watching the entire movie which tells you something. Settings I ended up with were Eco Mode Off, Brilliant Color On, and Dynamic Black High. This gave me the punchiest picture but not too over the top.

Couple things I noticed on set up. The dust filter you have to install, the one that comes in the box is not extra, you just remove a small panel in the back and slide it in, takes 5 seconds. The vertical lens shift is pretty small, horizontal a little better but not much. The movements are course and they do not work independent of each other, especially the vertical.

I think I'm going to leave the Lumagen in the chain for 2D, and use HDMI 2 strictly for 3D running it directly from the Oppo to the H9500BD. That way I could fully calibrate for 2D at least, although I don't have the expertise or tools required, Could hire someone..
post #546 of 4744 Old 12-20-2011, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm, very encouraging stopdog. Especially the 2d to 3d part. C'mon Amazon. I almost pulled the trigger on it at Tiger today. Egg has sold out.
post #547 of 4744 Old 12-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

Hmmm, very encouraging stopdog. Especially the 2d to 3d part. C'mon Amazon. I almost pulled the trigger on it at Tiger today. Egg has sold out.

Yea the 2D to 3D surprised me, I wasn't expecting it to look that 3Dey ? Could it be because the movie was filmed in 3D, I don't know if it was or not though..

Overall the H9500BD puts out a really solid looking 2D picture. I was hoping for an improvement in 2D over the Epson 8100 and I got it and then some. Tomorrow I'm going to hook up the Oppo BDP-93 and try out some real 3D !!
post #548 of 4744 Old 12-20-2011, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah kraine said the 2d to 3d was the best he has seen. Man this was supposed to be my Xmas present to myself and Amazon is not helping out. I may have to go Tiger and Square trade warranty tomorrow. Going to console myself now by watching Pirates 3D on my DLP TV and drown my sorrows.
post #549 of 4744 Old 12-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post

Yea the 2D to 3D surprised me, I wasn't expecting it to look that 3Dey ? Could it be because the movie was filmed in 3D, I don't know if it was or not though..

Overall the H9500BD puts out a really solid looking 2D picture. I was hoping for an improvement in 2D over the Epson 8100 and I got it and then some. Tomorrow I'm going to hook up the Oppo BDP-93 and try out some real 3D !!

How's the fan noise ? Is it loud in Eco and Normal ? Also, do you notice any RBE ? I might go for this bad boy since it's $1K cheaper than the W7000.
post #550 of 4744 Old 12-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

How's the fan noise ? Is it loud in Eco and Normal ? Also, do you notice any RBE ? I might go for this bad boy since it's $1K cheaper than the W7000.

Compared to the Epson 8100 the fan noise in low power is about the same, meaning I can't hear it from my seating position, in high mode the Epson is louder, can't even use it really. High power on the Acer is not so much louder than Eco, it is usable and again I don't notice it when the movie is playing. I did not see any rainbows at all...
post #551 of 4744 Old 12-21-2011, 04:44 AM

Santa (overweight UPS guy) just delivers mine last night! My optima pro350 sold on eBay Sunday and I am currently going through the trials and tribulations of ceiling mounting this puppy. Imagine my surprise when tearing through the packaging trying to find the mounting bolts and not finding any, even though they are referenced in the manual. Looks like a trip to home depot is in order. It is significantly larger than the optima and makes it seem like a toy in comparison. At first estimate, it looks like I won't need to move the existing mount at all. Fingers crossed...
post #552 of 4744 Old 12-21-2011, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 70
My second H9500BD has just landed

post #553 of 4744 Old 12-21-2011, 07:52 AM

Liked: 12
There has not been alot of talk about the frame interpolation settings in 3d and 2d mode. I would love to hear some thoughts about what it brings to the overall experience
post #554 of 4744 Old 12-21-2011, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post

My second H9500BD has just landed

Common Kraine a lot of people are assuming that 9500 is a magical device because you are buying it for personal use....give us some idea why you settled for this over others !
post #555 of 4744 Old 12-21-2011, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

You just have to be a little bit patient, I will switch on the projector during the night (it's only 5:20 PM here in France for the moment).

I have choose the ACER H9500BD for my personnal use for the following reasons :

Very good visual contrast for a DC2 DLP
Interpolation mode is working fine
Lot of brightness even with BC off
Good sharpness
3D outstanding and clean (as well as 2D/3D conversion)
Little price (1599 euros with 2 years warranty and a pair of 3D glasses)
Lens-shift
post #556 of 4744 Old 12-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

I am going to buy one because of Kraine !!

stopdog, I am thinking about buy a Oppo 93 too. I am currently using Panasonic BD80 with my VS Pro8100 projector and it's doing a fine job. Will I notice the difference with Oppo 93 or should I put that $500 towards the H9500 instead ?
post #557 of 4744 Old 12-21-2011, 10:51 AM

I have a BenQ W500 on a shelf above our heads. We also have a ceiling fan between the projector and screen.

It works fine, but I wonder if I get the Acer 9500 that I would have to move the shelf, I guess it really depends on if the lens shift is great/less than the BenQ's. I really cant ceiling mount it either.
post #558 of 4744 Old 12-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

stopdog, I am thinking about buy a Oppo 93 too. I am currently using Panasonic BD80 with my VS Pro8100 projector and it's doing a fine job. Will I notice the difference with Oppo 93 or should I put that $500 towards the H9500 instead ?

Will be installing the Oppo 93 into the system today so I can let you know. Have not seen the VSPro100 but if it is comparable to the Epson 8100 the H9500BD will be a pretty big upgrade, that's the way I would go. The main reason I bought the Oppo 93 is because I need it to do the vertical stretch for my anamorphic lens set up. My current Lumagen ProHDP video processor will not stretch 3D, so the Oppo was the least expensive way to do it versus buying the Radinace Mini. Although I wonder if my ProHDP will pass through the 3D signal and still allow color management, think I'll mosey over to the Video Processor Forum and find out.....
post #559 of 4744 Old 12-21-2011, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:

If you still watch a lot of DVD, I would get the Oppo. If you watch lots of Blu-Ray and little to no DVD, I would get another Panasonic.
post #560 of 4744 Old 12-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphx2 View Post

I have a BenQ W500 on a shelf above our heads. We also have a ceiling fan between the projector and screen.

It works fine, but I wonder if I get the Acer 9500 that I would have to move the shelf, I guess it really depends on if the lens shift is great/less than the BenQ's. I really cant ceiling mount it either.

My guess would be less, its pretty small on the vertical...maybe a foot or so on my screen..
post #561 of 4744 Old 12-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbox1080p View Post

There has not been alot of talk about the frame interpolation settings in 3d and 2d mode. I would love to hear some thoughts about what it brings to the overall experience

I tried it in 2D BluRay movies, low setting is pretty good, makes everything look sort of 3D and really smooth. Not sure yet how much I will use it yet on movies. The middle and higher settings were way over the top for me. In 2D to 3D conversion, it is set on the middle setting as I remember and I couldn't change it, it looks fine though...
post #562 of 4744 Old 12-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

You just have to be a little bit patient, I will switch on the projector during the night (it's only 5:20 PM here in France for the moment).

I have choose the ACER H9500BD for my personnal use for the following reasons :

Very good visual contrast for a DC2 DLP
Interpolation mode is working fine
Lot of brightness even with BC off
Good sharpness
3D outstanding and clean (as well as 2D/3D conversion)
Little price (1599 euros with 2 years warranty and a pair of 3D glasses)
Lens-shift

Thanks kraine

sorry didnt want to put pressure on you...thought you were ignoring my request (like coderguy did a few times previously)
post #563 of 4744 Old 12-21-2011, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

For the moment I'm not able to change anything on the factory menu but using the user menu I get a better CIE chart (HDTV), I need more time to work on the greyscale :

post #564 of 4744 Old 12-21-2011, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Man, that looks pretty darn close right there. Would you mind sharing your numbers and setup with us when you get it dialed in? Thanks.
post #565 of 4744 Old 12-21-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:

For the moment I'm not able to change anything on the factory menu but using the user menu I get a better CIE chart (HDTV), I need more time to work on the greyscale :

On mine I was unable to change the analog settings, are you saying you were able to?
post #566 of 4744 Old 12-21-2011, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

On mine I was unable to change the analog settings, are you saying you were able to?

Would it stand to reason that those settings would only be active when using an analog input like component?
post #567 of 4744 Old 12-21-2011, 05:14 PM

The Acer H5360 has a similar service menu.

When changing the settings in the Analog section, I didn't notice any difference on my HDMI connected sources.

So I wonder if using a VGA cable or component may give more control over the colours by using these Analog settings?
post #568 of 4744 Old 12-21-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post

Would it stand to reason that those settings would only be active when using an analog input like component?

Probably, but are the only RGB settings. In the regular menu there are RGBYM but calibrators say that does not suffice for the grey scale. The little bit of research into that I found they like a RGB for the dark side and a RGB for the White side of the grey scale. That menu posted is the only settings that looked to satisfy the calibrators.
I should order a light meter and a calibration blu-ray and try this stuff out. Here is a calibration write up I read a little on.
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457
post #569 of 4744 Old 12-21-2011, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

I should order a light meter and a calibration blu-ray and try this stuff out. Here is a calibration write up I read a little on.
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

Yep gain and offset is the same as brightness and contrast. I doubt you need a meter or calibration disk for the 9500 as you can probably go with kraine's settings if you have a similar setup. If you want a disk the AVS disk is free for downloading. Kraine did say he was not able to use the Service Menu at all. Pretty sure that is why he said he was still trying to figure out the greyscale.

I was not at all happy with Acer's response to my questions about this. Their lack of interest has dented my interest in this unit in a big way, value or not. I know it can produce a good picture once you play with it like PC did with the 7531, but why they omitted the greyscale is beyond me, especially their lack of interest in it. If Amazon ever puts a decent price on this I will probably give it a whirl, that is if I do not end up splurging on the Benq 7k first.
post #570 of 4744 Old 12-21-2011, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

Yep gain and offset is the same as brightness and contrast. I doubt you need a meter or calibration disk for the 9500 as you can probably go with kraine's settings if you have a similar setup. If you want a disk the AVS disk is free for downloading. Kraine did say he was not able to use the Service Menu at all. Pretty sure that is why he said he was still trying to figure out the greyscale.

I was not at all happy with Acer's response to my questions about this. Their lack of interest has dented my interest in this unit in a big way, value or not. I know it can produce a good picture once you play with it like PC did with the 7531, but why they omitted the greyscale is beyond me, especially their lack of interest in it. If Amazon ever puts a decent price on this I will probably give it a whirl, that is if I do not end up splurging on the Benq 7k first.

The response from support sounded like a default blow off to me. I don't believe it was a definitive answer either. I think if enough reviewers and people push then on it we will get to the real truth. And we should probably try to get to their product marketing people, support people could care less how many projectors get sold.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Projectors , Acer H9500bd 3d 1080p Home Theater Projector , Optoma Kt4348 3d Ready Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread - Kt4348 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page