The Official Acer H9500BD Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 4745 Old 10-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I am a bit confused is this projector 3d ready out of the box. So i can hook up a 3d blu ray player and put on glasses and enjoy like the epson 3100 and optima 3300.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 4745 Old 10-29-2011, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post

I am a bit confused is this projector 3d ready out of the box. So i can hook up a 3d blu ray player and put on glasses and enjoy like the epson 3100 and optima 3300.

IT is!
post #33 of 4745 Old 10-29-2011, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post

Yes. It comes with a pair of 3d glasses.
post #34 of 4745 Old 10-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thanks i thought it was like the previous acers that needed a computer with special video card. I will be anxious to read reviews when people start getting them.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #35 of 4745 Old 10-30-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimShadler View Post

Yep. Per my first post I'm waiting on a dual link dvi cable. Should be here monday.

have you tried console gaming with this unit?
post #36 of 4745 Old 10-30-2011, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anyone find information on input lag of the H9500BD yet?
post #37 of 4745 Old 10-30-2011, 11:42 AM

If this unit delivers the promised specs, this is gonna be the best sub-2k 3d projector ever. The Crosstalk-free 3D,low input lag, and FI of the HD33, with better contrast that the 3010. Well, a guy can dream, can't he?
post #38 of 4745 Old 10-30-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

Anyone find information on input lag of the H9500BD yet?

I don't know it, but being a DLP it should be a very low amount.
post #39 of 4745 Old 10-30-2011, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

2d Picture quality is not as good as the 8500UB hands down. I'm also not convinced this projector is hitting the quoted 2000 lumens. I did play some ps3 games on this and didn't notice any lag to speak of.
post #40 of 4745 Old 10-30-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:

2d Picture quality is not as good as the 8500UB hands down. I'm also not convinced this projector is hitting the quoted 2000 lumens. I did play some ps3 games on this and didn't notice any lag to speak of.

Not as good as picture quality in contrast, sharpness, colors, etc.? Specifics would be nice. Are you using this unit in a light-controlled room or is there any ambient light? Thoughts on the contrast?

EDIT: found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onuA8m3ogkY
post #41 of 4745 Old 10-30-2011, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

Hows that dynamic black working out? Is it invisible / no brightness pumping? How deep is the black in very dark scenes say compared to your Epson?

I know this has a 6 segment wheel but what colors, RGB/RGB or RGBCMY?

Could you explain this question to me? Are you saying the dynamic blacks are a software or some other enhancement that can be of improvement or distraction?
post #42 of 4745 Old 10-30-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:

Could you explain this question to me? Are you saying the dynamic blacks are a software or some other enhancement that can be of improvement or distraction?

Dynamic blacks are when an an Iris is used to cut out light in certain areas to increase the black level, I think. It can get annoying if you have a slow iris because it takes a while for the extra deep blacks to kick it.
post #43 of 4745 Old 10-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Hmm, disappointing. Have you ever seen the Epson 8350? I've had the HD33 and the Epson 3010 and I feel the Epson 3010 is very comparable to the 8350 and the 8500 in 2D.
post #44 of 4745 Old 10-31-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:

DO you notice lag on your 8500ub as i had a 3010 and its very laggy indeed. I also had a few hrs wth a hd3300 this weekend and its a toy. Optoma is just not upto the build quality of Espon in anyway. I would pass on optoma the image it throws is more dynamic and not easy on the eyes and the blacks are not good at all. Acer is my only shot or I keep my 8350. Waiting your dual dvi test !
post #45 of 4745 Old 10-31-2011, 07:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

DB is Ti's Digital Iris system. If tweaked right like on the Planar or Optoma HD8600 you can't see it in action. If not you'll see the brightness change if the image shoots from light to dark or dark to light.

If it's working right the black level in dark scenes will be deeper black and no distractions getting there.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #46 of 4745 Old 10-31-2011, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by pxjunky View Post

I also had a few hrs wth a hd3300 this weekend and its a toy. Optoma is just not upto the build quality of Espon in anyway. I would pass on optoma the image it throws is more dynamic and not easy on the eyes and the blacks are not good at all. Acer is my only shot or I keep my 8350. Waiting your dual dvi test !

Sounds like you had a calibration issue, did you use a meter to calibrate both projectors?

Not easy on the eyes, this could be one of two things, you may have DLP sensitivity, DLP's can be a bit harder on the eyes for some people even if you do not see rainbows. That said, harder on the eyes usually means it was too bright.

One negative of the Optoma hd33 is that the calibration range isn't as wide and there is no IRIS to lessen an overly bright image, that is why many have resorted to ND filters for 2-D viewing. Getting the projector under 20 fL will greatly assist in reducing eye strain. If you still have eye strain, try to keep the projector at 14 fL or below, this will really help with eye strain on any projector tech, but especially with DLP.

As far as build quality, I do not think the Epson or the Optoma are high-end for build quality, the Epson will be bigger and look less like a toy, but that isn't related to the build quality, that is just the way DLP vs. LCD usually comes out. Even a Mits hc4000 which has an extremely reliable track record across the board can come off looking like a TOY, but even more so if it were in a white case like the Optoma. That said, the Epson likely does have a little better build quality, but build quality isn't that important for DLP anyhow, as there are generally fewer things that go wrong with DLP (color wheels are becoming less and less of a problem as the motors they use are much more reliable than in the past).

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #47 of 4745 Old 10-31-2011, 07:39 PM

Liked: 11
wow..this thread kinda died..I was just getting excited about this projector..waiting for info then boom..it died
post #48 of 4745 Old 10-31-2011, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagameballa View Post

wow..this thread kinda died..I was just getting excited about this projector..waiting for info then boom..it died

Sorry man. Have a busy job and an 6 week old. Soon as I have time to play with this some more I'll post some more info. Hopefully some other folks will order it and you can get some more useful info.
post #49 of 4745 Old 10-31-2011, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

DO you notice lag on your 8500ub as i had a 3010 and its very laggy indeed. I also had a few hrs wth a hd3300 this weekend and its a toy. Optoma is just not upto the build quality of Espon in anyway. I would pass on optoma the image it throws is more dynamic and not easy on the eyes and the blacks are not good at all. Acer is my only shot or I keep my 8350. Waiting your dual dvi test !

Can you elaborate on what you mean by the 3300 image not being easy on the eyes? Is it because you prefer the soft film like image of LCD which I think sucks for sports viewing, or is it something else? I don't care about how the Optoma feels or looks as for build quality as it does not have to house 3 LCD panels and the associated light path. I care about picture quality. More to the point, being a fellow 8350 owner like myself, how does the 3010 compare to the 8350 in 2d? I am not worried about gaming as I do not game at all and if I do it would be on my DLP TV. It is an LED unit that ought to last a loooong time. Matter of fact it is lasting a loooong time with zero degradation. Thanks.
post #50 of 4745 Old 10-31-2011, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry man. Have a busy job and an 6 week old. Soon as I have time to play with this some more I'll post some more info. Hopefully some other folks will order it and you can get some more useful info.

Understood. How do you like the unit as a whole so far though?
post #51 of 4745 Old 10-31-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

Can you elaborate on what you mean by the 3300 image not being easy on the eyes? Is it because you prefer the soft film like image of LCD which I think sucks for sports viewing, or is it something else? I don't care about how the Optoma feels or looks as for build quality as it does not have to house 3 LCD panels and the associated light path. I care about picture quality. More to the point, being a fellow 8350 owner like myself, how does the 3010 compare to the 8350 in 2d? I am not worried about gaming as I do not game at all and if I do it would be on my DLP TV. It is an LED unit that ought to last a loooong time. Matter of fact it is lasting a loooong time with zero degradation. Thanks.

shadow detail n the optoma was not that great and that is what soothes my eyes. I like the sony pj picture very much for its nice blacks and shadow detail but 5k is out of my league. If i coudl get a lag test on the hd33 and it had zero input lag I could maybe deal with its faults.
post #52 of 4745 Old 10-31-2011, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

shadow detail n the optoma was not that great and that is what soothes my eyes. I like the sony pj picture very much for its nice blacks and shadow detail but 5k is out of my league. If i coudl get a lag test on the hd33 and it had zero input lag I could maybe deal with its faults.

Got your point, thanks. However you did not address my 8350 vs 3010 question. I know I should not get that unit but it is just down the street on sale and I can take it back. I just don't feel the 2d will be even close to my 8350 and that was why I was asking. I could get the 9500 but that is not easy to return to Egg. I don't want to hijack the thread. I may just go get the 3010 because it will be so easy to return. Just looking for your 2d opinions so I do not waste my time. Seems you said it when you said you may just keep your 8350.
post #53 of 4745 Old 10-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Not easy on the eyes, this could be one of two things, you may have DLP sensitivity, DLP's can be a bit harder on the eyes for some people even if you do not see rainbows. That said, harder on the eyes usually means it was too bright.

This is an interesting point coderguy. I found HD33 brightness to be unbearable while 3010 which is a lot more brighter to be perfectly fine. I cant explain why ! (I am not RBE sensitive by the way) Any idea why it may be so ?
post #54 of 4745 Old 10-31-2011, 09:25 PM

Best Buy is where I got mine and the reason I prefer the 8350 is the blacks again are so mu ch better to me. The 3010 is better than the hd33 maybe the iris is helping out alot. I am talking 2d viewing as 3d you cannot compare my 8350 for obvious reasons. Input lag is my main reason for sitting on the fence and waiting on this thread as NEWEGG do not take stuff back at all, you buy it you own it becareful, I am a long time NEWEGG customer.
post #55 of 4745 Old 10-31-2011, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

Got your point, thanks. However you did not address my 8350 vs 3010 question. I know I should not get that unit but it is just down the street on sale and I can take it back. I just don't feel the 2d will be even close to my 8350 and that was why I was asking. I could get the 9500 but that is not easy to return to Egg. I don't want to hijack the thread. I may just go get the 3010 because it will be so easy to return. Just looking for your 2d opinions so I do not waste my time. Seems you said it when you said you may just keep your 8350.

On the whole I am fairly pleased with the unit. Not quite as bright as the Acer H5360, but fairly close. I'm shooting on a 92" black diamond .8 gain screen. I still feel I need more brightness in 3d so I'm thinking about upgrading to the 2.7 gain screen.

I played around with the dynamic iris a little more tonight. I thought the medium setting was the best. I couldn't notice the iris itself and black were significantly improved (using the latest star trek movie as a test). On high I was able to spot the iris shifting one or two times.

Blacks are not as good as the 8500UB, but significantly better then the h53690.
post #56 of 4745 Old 10-31-2011, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Best Buy is where I got mine and the reason I prefer the 8350 is the blacks again are so mu ch better to me. The 3010 is better than the hd33 maybe the iris is helping out alot. I am talking 2d viewing as 3d you cannot compare my 8350 for obvious reasons. Input lag is my main reason for sitting on the fence and waiting on this thread as NEWEGG do not take stuff back at all, you buy it you own it becareful, I am a long time NEWEGG customer.

OK, I understand now. Just know that Acer is known for being bright with their 3d PJs. And as a computer manufacturer they are less inclined to offer good black levels as opposed to good 3d. They do know how to do that and with little lag. Like you, I need more info on this unit because the majority of my viewing is 2d on my PJ. For gamers I would think the 9500 is a no brainer along with the HD33/3300 as they play well with NVidia. The 3010, I do not know so much. I look forward to actual reviews of the 9500.
post #57 of 4745 Old 11-01-2011, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Few simple points about comparing projectors:

Comparing two projectors involves 3 things:

1) Calibration
2) Calibration
and finally, 3) More Calibration...

OK, I know some attributes of the picture you can compare without a perfect calibration, that is somewhat true. However, let me share my experiences and frustrations in just how hard it is to properly compare two different projectors, especially from two different techs near the same price range. Believe me I am not picking on anyone, I've been there done that, I've made the mistakes myself to later realize how important spending a LOT of time on a calibration is when comparing two projectors, I've even had to reverse my own findings and call myself stupid. Comparing two projectors takes a lot of practice and it is not an easy thing to do.

Now comparing two projectors where the differences are night and day (like a $5000 JVC vs. a $500 Acer), that's a lot simpler than comparing two projectors to where the differences are much more minor, as is in this case. So I am not belittling anyone's comparison, but this comparison is extremely difficult to do properly and really needs to be done over many hours of calibration and viewing. I realize this is something most of you do not have the luxury or time to do, so I'll give some leeway here. For the fence sitters, I wouldn't judge these projectors too much from some of these comparisons, I would investigate as much as possible of course.

For instance when it comes to shadow detail, shadow detail is primarily a function of native contrast almost exclusively, a projector with a higher native contrast calibrated correctly should have the better shadow detail. However, projectors that are this close in native contrast should have for the most part imperceptible differences in shadow detail after calibration, if they don't, then your calibration is off. The one exception to this is if there are some Noise Reduction algorithms or other image processing things taking place in the image reducing the shadow detail, but this is not usually the case. Hence, spotting a significant difference in shadow detail between these two projectors is almost certainly an uneven gamma curve between the two. Not saying you cannot spot some tiny difference, that is possible, but it shouldn't be very large.

Remembering the image and trying to remember what you saw is very difficult when going back and forth, and in order to compare two projectors in a split screen condition will cause you to lose ANSI contrast, so you have to do some pretty fancy things to solve this problem. Hence, there are times a split screen will be needed, and there are times each projector needs to be watched independently.

Sharpness controls, you need to get the artificial sharpness matched up between the two to make sure the noise in the image is similar between the two devices. The different levels of sharpness can make one projector look better on some content, but worse on others.

Getting the brightness, contrast, and the gamma curve EXACTLY the same between two projectors when comparing is an absolute must. You cannot compare two projectors with different gamma curves and claim one has better POP, it is like trying to determine the sub-species of a black frog in the forest in the middle of the night.

Of course the most obvious is getting the color accurate on both projectors. The room conditions must also be setup very well.

Finally, the content you use is important to compare with, you need to pick content that favors each projector and not just one or the other, so that you truly get a feel of a projector's strengths and weaknesses. Any comparison that finds one projector to be superior in almost all conditions is almost surely invalid when comparing two projectors that are at the same price range. Sure occasionally one projector could take the cake in all categories, but it is very rare. I suspect the Epson probably has the better OTB calibration, which is why some of these findings are so different.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #58 of 4745 Old 11-01-2011, 04:46 AM

I hope this thing works 1080p 120hz, I need a bunch of them to finish a project.

Multi-Projector Edge-Blending & Geometry correction for games and simulations.
http://www.youtube.com/VanFS3K
post #59 of 4745 Old 11-01-2011, 04:56 AM

Its been proven that it cannot accept a 120hz input signal. 60hz is the max over HDMI or DVI
post #60 of 4745 Old 11-01-2011, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vullcan View Post

Its been proven that it cannot accept a 120hz input signal. 60hz is the max over HDMI or DVI

oops, I must have missed that part. That sucks.

Multi-Projector Edge-Blending & Geometry correction for games and simulations.
http://www.youtube.com/VanFS3K
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Projectors , Acer H9500bd 3d 1080p Home Theater Projector , Optoma Kt4348 3d Ready Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread - Kt4348 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page