post #631 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagameballa View Post

Brightness is a big issue for LCD and LCoS since it makes the inherent "ghosting" of those technologies more evident. Take your pick -- RBE for DLP or "ghosting" for everything else.

I have thrown tons of 3d material at the 3010 and have seen zero ghosting..if it has any..I have never seen it..I have seen ghosting on my mitsu dlp.[/quote]

Take a look at the ghosting thread on the over $3,000 section and the Benq 7000 thread. the comparison of exactly the same shots with the LCoS and DLP clearly shows no ghosting with the DLP and noticeable amounts with the LCoS. RBE is problematic, however, the good news is that it is far less noticeable with 3D. It bothers me at times in 2D, but not in 3D and I'm using the cheapie little Acer 5360 for 3D. I've watched it for some 2D stuff, but prefer other projectors for 2D. There was a time that I didn't notice EE (edge enhancement) until someone pointed it out to me and then my eyes were just drawn to it. I think the same goes for "ghosting", but to me it is so obvious.

See post #33
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1381679&page=2

Here's an interesting quote from Jon Statt:

"I prefer to think that the reason different people see different things, is simply because our brains and eyes vary. Some people tune it out and overlook it. If you are right eye dominated, you will see the ghost in Despicable me at the timecode I said. BUT if you are left eye dominated, you won't. On that scene the ghost only appears through the right lens. Our brains use the image from the non-dominant eye for 3D information and discard most of the rest using the dominant eye image as the primary one!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post

For everyone who recently recieved an Acer, what are your first opinions?

I am feeling a little less wow with the 9500bd than I had hoped. Don't get me wrong, it has lots of great things about it but I guess I was hoping for more in terms of black levels. Maybe I will have to break down and reach up into the plus 3k category to get what I am after.

Starting with the packaging, the bag they send it out in is kind of interesting but I would rather them put that ten-20 bucks into better menu/firmware design (CMS??). Not sure what customers they envision carting this thing around in that bag, maybe students?

The quick start and users manual leave a lot to be desired, there is no mention of the included filter in the quick start and there was a black plastic piece included that I am still not sure what it is for. I inserted the filter and have not been running in high altitude mode which is what the manual requires. I will be removing it sometime today but I wanted to see what some other had to say first.

The unit itself is quite impressive, much heavier and sturdy than my old HD70.

Setup was relatively easier coming from the rear shelf mounted HD70. I lowered the shelf a little and sat the acer on the shelf, inverted of course. Getting the image perfectly centered is so much easier with lens shift, if you haven't played around with a projector that has lens shift you really don't know what you are missing.

Focus on the 9500bd is excelent compared to my HD70 and the two Epson 8350s I have used. I was able to get a calibration test image with small text in the 4 quadrants to focus in very well, much better than either the Optoma or the Epsons. I stepped through all the calibration images looking for quirks/problems and didn't spot any until I got to one that displays moire patterns. That look really bad and as I suspected it was the CFI (accuvision?) that was causing the issue. Artificating is what the reviewers call that I guess. I turned CFI off and the image looked perfect.

I also didn't see much iris action, so I dove into the menus. This may be a good place to talk about the remote and menus. They are really bad. Like cheap monitor bad. I really hate the way they designed both the remote and the gui for the menus. It is completely unintuitive and a pain to use. I am getting better, but the first ten minutes were very frustrating.

Back to the iris, it was disabled as a default in the mode I was in which I though was unusual. So I turned it to medium and went back to the calibration images. It seems to help a little but not as much as I had hoped. When I got to almost black screens it didn't seem to get as dark as I was hoping for. Someone earlier in the thread compare the black levels to the 8350 and the 8700 and they thought it was closer to the 8700. That was what I was hoping for, but in my case they are definitely closer to 8350. In fact it is tough to say if they are better than the 8350. I have never seen the 8700 in my theater so I can't really compare.

I did notice some very slight yo-yo at medium but I guess I am very sensitive to it, I don't think most people would realize it was happening unless they were looking for it. With the iris at high it is almost unusable.

The CFI is pretty cool, definitely adds the "soap-opera effect" to movies and makes them look almost 3d. I put in Terminator Salvation as that was a movie I closely looked at with the Epson and the Optoma and it has lots of great image detail and black scenes. I had the iris set to medium and cfi to medium. The image looked great in 2d really incredible. I don't like the soap opera look for movies but I have alway marveled at how good the displays look with it on and this projector looked spectacular. My 15 year old son came in when he heard the movie start up and said wow -that looks really good. He also noted that it looked almost 3d which is funny because that is how a lot of people talk about a good dlp 2d image here - it almost looks 3d.
So 2d blu ray looks great.

I then got the glasses out and switched on the 2d-3d. That was pretty cool, not sure if I would watch a movie like that but it was interesting. I quicky moved to the espn 3d channel and the HBO 3d on demand content. I was very impressed with the 3d on this projector. I don't have any real home theater comparison but I really liked the image. It was clear, the blacks looked good, and I didn't see any real ghosting. I would even say it is better than what you see at the cinema. Brighter and more saturated colors. I watched all of Final Destination and it looked really good. The snake scene had some right in your face pop-out, very cool.

I really wish that blacks were better in 2d but maybe I had too high of hopes. Let me explain a little more about what I am judging here. I want a projector that almost goes completely black when there is nothing but black on the screen and would like to see inky black bars in a 2.35:1 image. The 9500bd get pretty dark in those situations but not as "black" as I had hoped.

Overall the Acer 9500bd seems like a great value and a wonderful entry level 1080p 3d projector. Very happy with it but I think I am dreaming/drooling of what the Epson 5010 or the JVC RS-45 would look like... but those aren't really fair comparisons. I think from everything I have read that the 9500bd is much better than the HD33 or the 3010 so I am happy with my decision to buy one.

joepaiii,

Just curious what are your HDMI levels set to on your BluRay player and the Acer? When I first hooked up my Oppo, both were set on HDMI full and the black levels were terrible. When I switched the Acer to "Auotmatic" HDMI the black level dropped considerably. I had it set correctly before with the Sony and Lumagen in the mix so I knew there something wrong immediately when I plugged in the Oppo. Actually now I have HDMI set on 36 bit on the Oppo and Automatic on the Acer and it looks great.

Your disappointment with black level doesn't jive with what I'm seeing. I saw a JVC X3 and X7 in action and there's no contest those look almost CRT like compared to Acer but also I though they looked a bit soft, its a great looking but different picture..
post #633 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 11:32 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Great writeup. I agree with you on the menus. Seems like an afterthought from the Acer engineers, but for me, I am willing to overlook a few things at this price-point.

As for contrast, I was the person who stated I thought the 9500 was better than the 8350 and closer to the 8700. Too be clear, I have spent considerable time with both the 8700 and 8350 about 6 months or so back. So this was going off memory, and clearly I did not have the option to watch the 9500 next to the 8350 and 8700. So you could be right, the 9500 might be closer to the 8350. I will say this having owned a Epson 3100 for a month. The contrast on the Acer is noticeably better (I have the iris on medium). And I believe the 8350 is very close to the 3100 in terms of contrast with the 8350 having a slight edge.

If you are looking for those really inky blacks, I suspect you will need to go to the LCOS family of projectors or an Epson 5100. I have also spent considerable time with a JVC RS-40 and the Acer is not in the same league. So the RS-45 should be on your short list if you are looking for ultra high contrast. But, aside from price difference, I suspect you will sacrifice 3D quality vs the Acer, but that may not be important to you.

It's funny I approached 3D as an afterthought and was not very excited about it a year ago when I watched it on several projectors. This year, there are much better options and I am really enjoying 3D especially with three young kids and all the great 3D movies out there. I would have a hard time taking a step down in 3D at this point and DLP is clearly the best option right now. But you will sacrifice on contrast vs the LCOS and Epson higher models.

It has been a few months for me since I have had to the 8350 and I haven't made a direct compare. I just seem to remember my room getting just as dark if not darker with the 8350. That wouldn't seem like much since this is a very subjective comparison but I did change my ceiling color from white to copper (matched wall colors) since then so it should really be darker now. In the end it is probably a wash between them, I was just hoping for more.

I think you have summed up my thoughts on this perfectly. If I had an extra 2000 to spend I would think about going up to the JVC level because I do love the inky blacks but would be really torn about giving up the extra cash and wouldn't want to see less 3d performance in the process. I think that for now I am completely happy to have the Acer and will keep my eye out for what comes out in the next 12-18 months.
post #634 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post

joepaiii,

Just curious what are your HDMI levels set to on your BluRay player and the Acer? When I first hooked up my Oppo, both were set on HDMI full and the black levels were terrible. When I switched the Acer to "Auotmatic" HDMI the black level dropped considerably. I had it set correctly before with the Sony and Lumagen in the mix so I knew there something wrong immediately when I plugged in the Oppo. Actually now I have HDMI set on 36 bit on the Oppo and Automatic on the Acer and it looks great.

Your disappointment with black level doesn't jive with what I'm seeing. I saw a JVC X3 and X7 in action and there's no contest those look almost CRT like compared to Acer but also I though they looked a bit soft, its a great looking but different picture..

Stopdog,

I have my HDMI set to AUTO on the ACER. I played with that after seeing someone mention it earlier. Definitely saw the difference, black levels went from about what my HD70 was like to much improved.

My biggest disappointment is that the black levels don't seem noticeably better than the 8350 I had a few months ago. Note that my comparison isn't a measured one, just a judgment on how dark the room got when an almost black screen came up and how dark the black bars are with 2.35:1. I hope people don't get the wrong idea, I think the black levels are good, just that I had hoped for more. Contrast in the actual image seems good to me. I might put in Alien versus Predator:Requiem later, the blacks in that movie are the worst, it didn't even look good at the theater but they are definitely a stress test.

As you and others have said if I really want inky blacks I will have to move into a different price range and will then be into different technologies with a new set of concerns because I do really love razor sharp focus... and want good 3d ... sometimes this stuff can be torture!
post #635 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I doubt it. The lens path is sealed on a DLP projector. This is the only DLP projector I have heard of that has a dust filter. If you are worried about dust, prevention is the best medicine:
Keep your room dusted regularly
Keep your projector clean
Use a good filter on your furnace
Add an additional HEPA filtering system for your room.

Good tips. I took my filter out, the Acer sounds like a vacuum cleaner with the high altitude mode turned on. My room gets pretty warm during the summers here in north TX so I don't want it struggling for air flow.
post #636 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Stopdog,

I have my HDMI set to AUTO on the ACER. I played with that after seeing someone mention it earlier. Definitely saw the difference, black levels went from about what my HD70 was like to much improved.

My biggest disappointment is that the black levels don't seem noticeably better than the 8350 I had a few months ago. Note that my comparison isn't a measured one, just a judgment on how dark the room got when an almost black screen came up and how dark the black bars are with 2.35:1. I hope people don't get the wrong idea, I think the black levels are good, just that I had hoped for more. Contrast in the actual image seems good to me. I might put in Alien versus Predator:Requiem later, the blacks in that movie are the worst, it didn't even look good at the theater but they are definitely a stress test.

As you and others have said if I really want inky blacks I will have to move into a different price range and will then be into different technologies with a new set of concerns because I do really love razor sharp focus... and want good 3d ... sometimes this stuff can be torture!

Agree the JVC for me was too much to put out right now so I'm satisfied for now with the Acer 9500 (for the most part). I'm hoping that the reflective LCD tech will evolve so we can have inky blacks and super sharp images at the same time, and still have the Acer for 3D..
post #637 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbox1080p View Post

What size and gain of screen are you two guys using for 3D

I have a cheap pull down elite screen that is 100" diagonal. My throw is about 13 feet right now. I would guess the gain is ~1.0-1.2. It has a little more shine than a sheet of paper. That is my next upgrade... Would like to go to a fixed frame 110 or 120.
post #638 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 12:00 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdfrost View Post

I'm mostly using for desktop browsing and stuff at the moment, the lag has made films unwatchable.

Input lag doesn't effect movie watching unless you have no method to delay the audio to match lip sync. Unless you have a different example? Like noted TMT5 has a known additional lag time added, other player's out there may do the same, my only experience is with TMT3 and TMT5.

Quote:

A prime example of the blur is on the border of this reply box I'm typing in. It should have a 1 pixel black border, instead it looks like a 3 pixel border with black in the middle and great the edges.
It's interesting that you get blur with 2D content at 24htz, I don't know why that should be the case, but I get exactly the same, that's the worst blur where it blends more than just adjacent pixels.

Mine is because it is sending the 3D signal and the projector is displaying it as such. So without the glasses yeah it will look like crap. If I switch the HTPC back to a non 3D signal 1080p 60hz it is all good. Like I noted earlier I know of no automatic switching in the HTPC area as of yet. But using what most people use such as PS3, 3D BDplayer's etc work almost flawless, there is a little input lag and the lip sync needs to be adjusted slightly.

Quote:

For the movies I have tested I'm using Nvidia's 3D Vision player

I use Nvidia 3D but not as the player, guess I didn't know it works as such, unless your talking about PC gaming, which I do not do so of no help there.

Quote:

, to test the lag I just use an online counter and take a photo of the two screens at once, it's around 100ms.

Yeap I am familiar with that method. That method will tell you the difference between the projector and your laptop screen but not actual input lag times. Your 100ms is what a reviewer saw when he tested with a bad HDMI cable. After they switched HDMI cables they came in around 30ms lag. Which from my uncalibrated feel would guess mine is in the 30ms area. While gaming the input lag has not been noticed at all for me while playing Assasins Creed in 3D and I have played with input lag that is noticable and annoyed me to no end.

Quote:

Unfortuantely I mostly use the projector 3D gaming, so it's not just a case of delaying the audio. Gaming with a 100ms gap is simply impossible.

I really hope that the lag isn't just a quirk of the machine, it will have made this purchase a very expensive mistake. I've gone from a £350 machine in the H5360 to a £1500 H9500BD and have got a worse 2D picture due to the blur, slower response times in all menus and a 3D mode that's basically useless for gaming

Not sure what to tell you.Either you have a bad unit or it is the wonderfull world of HTPC fun. I am thinking it is your laptops video card and player that is giving you such a hard time but I could be wrong. Are you always sending signals to both the projector and the laptop screen? If so try making the projector the only screen, that should put less tasking on your video card.
post #639 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

My screen is a painted laminate, cross between Silver Fire and something else (can't remember). Dimensions are 109" wide x 46" high (2.37:1). I built a wooden 4 inch wide frame around it and covered that with some really good quality black velvet, a little bit of overscan you can't see at all. Projector is about 14 feet back and my seating position about 11 feet. As I said before I'm using a Panamorph UH380 anamorphic lens.
post #640 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

My biggest disappointment is that the black levels don't seem noticeably better than the 8350 I had a few months ago. Note that my comparison isn't a measured one, just a judgment on how dark the room got when an almost black screen came up and how dark the black bars are with 2.35:1.

Unless both projectors have the same lumens output (which I doubt since the Acer is supposed to be quite bright), the measure you are using is fairly meaningless. Projector "A" may have lower black levels than projector "B" and still have poorer On/Off CR. If all you are after is a lower black level, then use a filter on the lens of the Acer. However, you might then lack the lumens for proper 3D viewing, so you should remove the filter for 3D content.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence, than it does knowledge. Charles Darwin
post #641 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

I have a cheap pull down elite screen that is 100" diagonal. My throw is about 13 feet right now. I would guess the gain is ~1.0-1.2. It has a little more shine than a sheet of paper. That is my next upgrade... Would like to go to a fixed frame 110 or 120.

You know, you may want to consider a higher contrast grey screen when you are ready to upgrade. That should help you with contrast and it might get you closer to having those darker blacks.
post #642 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sorry don't mean to start a controversy with my post, but I am here to share my observations for what it's worth....

You may know that I switched from HD33 to 3010 recently and I am a huge fan of 3010 for its colorful, vibrant, bright image in 2D and 3D and ofcourse the epson warranty. Offlate i was a little pissed with the ghosting i saw on Harrypotter Deathly hollows part 1 3D on my 3010...although I dont see it in around 20 other movies I have watched on 3010 by now, I wanted to make sure I get the absolute best PJ for the money and got a 9500 this week. Call me crazy, but I fell for the excitement brewing on this thread and I had to see it myself and was wiling to pay 500$ more for it (compared to my 3010) on Amazon for a chance of returning it hassle free if I didnt like it (sorry Mike, it was me who got that one last unit ! may be you will thank me for saving you the hassle !) . I now have 3010 and 9500 together and can compare them both back to back and I need to decide which one to keep before return window expires for either of in in a few weeks...I will strive to be honest in my observations as I need to pick one soon !

first off the placement 9500 was the worst among all 3 for my table-top-on-side-of-couch configuration...3010 has center lens and i got the image positioned in 10 mins....9500 was a little painful as it was heavier and there are no adjustable legs in front but only a fixed height legs that can be opened out. So even after a lot of tweaking of the adjustable hind legs and v/h-lens shifts, I cant get a rectangular image....so looks like i will have to do some significant room changes to accommodate it. Also the remote was very clumsy (now doesn't work most of the time) and i had to use the onborad buttons to adjust setting as it was easier that way. But these are not major issues if I like it in other ways.

upon firing, i was pleasantly greeted by the super sharp ACER logo and I couldn't wait in antiipation to be blown away like I was with HD33 as I fired up the Dark Knight Bluray I had just watched on Epson a few days ago. As the first few IMAX scenes unfolded, as the camera zoomed in on the huge buildings, my excitement just went down the drain as I didnt feel the same awe at looking at the DLP image which was noisy and had a lot of edge artifacts that interfered with the grids on the buildings. And I noticed eye strain thats associated with DLP similar to what I found with HD33...mind you this is not due to high lumens because 3010 is significantly brighter and I have no such eye strain.

Later on I watched same movies I watched earlier on HD33 and 3010 for many hours now....its no where close to HD33 in DLP POP and colors...and no way close to my Epson 3010 in brightnes, colors, punch in 2D and 3D....I am sorry to say this as my intention is not to bash this PJ for no good reason...mind you I was willing to cough up more for it if I can convince myself that it's best of the three....and it's not going well!

Also I have a non bat cave living room which I can darken in the morning with blinds closed, but there will be some residual ambient light still.....9500 is almost unwatchable even with a bit of ambient light , unlike my 3010 which has Living-room/Dynamic modes that are designed for non bat caves....so this PJ is mainly designed for batcaves it seems (hd33 comes second in that I remember enjoying a few movies during the day). In the night, the 9500 image is bright in 2D and where it shines is the best black levels and shadow details among the three....but I have noticed that If you don't do sidebyside comparison, 3010 and Hd33 are also very satisfactory. Infanct I got the pictures to line up almost perfectly when both of them are turned on and fed with same image from my dual-hdmi 6700 player and I alternatively blocked 9500 and 3010 and can see 9500 better blacks, but I am perfectly fine with 3010 blacks if I did not do this kind of extreme testing ! Ofcourse 9500 had the dlp sharpness and punch but colors from 3010 are much more natural and the image is a lot more consistent...for a lack of better word.

I know i am not qualified to compare PJ's at a professional level, but i can speak as a User and i am sorry to disagree with Kriane, I was underwhelmed with 9500 compared to Hd33 in terms DLp pop and colors and punch....both in 2d and 3d....the only thing that noticably better on 9500 is the blacks but hd33 has better colors and the first time I saw it, I almost had tears as I was floored by its quality. But with 9500 the colors seem to be pale and I could detect green push....very obvious in Tron movie which had green tint on 9500 while both 3010 and hd33 had more natural looking blue tint that I remember from watching it at the theater. In 3d, I have admit that 9500 is brighter and better blacks than hd33 but the colors looked pale compared to hd33 which had a lot more pop....

Epson only loses to it in some (minor) ghosting (I dont see it bother me in 99% of titles except for harrypotter-1) and contrast in 3D....but beats it hands down in many other ways such as better colors and abundant brightness in 3D....sure 9500 has inky blacks but what good is it if the colors/brightness are not as good.

Very briefly tried 2d to 3d, and the image has lot more depth than 6700 which has good reviews in this feature.

if you really want DLP, you should seriously consider checking out HD33....its a lot better than 9500 in my viewing....

It could be that I may have a defective unit, so may be my observation are an exception Rather than the norm as other buyers here seem quite happy...let me say this, if I had seen 9500 only and not the other two, I would have been floored witth it and would have definitely kept it...but I cannot convince myself to keep it as I have seen better and I will be sending it back soon.

Please don't get me wrong, I really wanted to like this PJ for all the good things I heard but in my comparison I am willing to live with minor ghosting on 3010 in exchange for better colors and brightness. Also since I don't have a batcave so I don't mind giving up the blacks....so take my observations with pinch of salt as they are specific to my setup and my personal taste.

Hopefully the next generation of 3d PJs will combine best of both worlds !
post #643 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

Sorry don't mean to start a controversy with my post, but I am here to share my observations for what it's worth....

You may know that I switched from HD33 to 3010 recently and I am a huge fan of 3010 for its colorful, vibrant, bright image in 2D and 3D and ofcourse the epson warranty. Offlate i was a little pissed with the ghosting i saw on Harrypotter Deathly hollows part 1 3D on my 3010...although I dont see it in around 20 other movies I have watched on 3010 by now, I wanted to make sure I get the absolute best PJ for the money and got a 9500 this week. Call me crazy, but I fell for the excitement brewing on this thread and I had to see it myself and was wiling to pay 500$ more for it (compared to my 3010) on Amazon for a chance of returning it hassle free if I didnt like it (sorry Mike, it was me who got that one last unit ! may be you will thank me for saving you the hassle !) . I now have 3010 and 9500 together and can compare them both back to back and I need to decide which one to keep before return window expires for either of in in a few weeks...I will strive to be honest in my observations as I need to pick one soon !

first off the placement 9500 was the worst among all 3 for my table-top-on-side-of-couch configuration...3010 has center lens and i got the image positioned in 10 mins....9500 was a little painful as it was heavier and there are no adjustable legs in front but only a fixed height legs that can be opened out. So even after a lot of tweaking of the adjustable hind legs and v/h-lens shifts, I cant get a rectangular image....so looks like i will have to do some significant room changes to accommodate it. Also the remote was very clumsy (now doesn't work most of the time) and i had to use the onborad buttons to adjust setting as it was easier that way. But these are not major issues if I like it in other ways.

upon firing, i was pleasantly greeted by the super sharp ACER logo and I couldn't wait in antiipation to be blown away like I was with HD33 as I fired up the Dark Knight Bluray I had just watched on Epson a few days ago. As the first few IMAX scenes unfolded, as the camera zoomed in on the huge buildings, my excitement just went down the drain as I didnt feel the same awe at looking at the DLP image which was noisy and had a lot of edge artifacts that interfered with the grids on the buildings. And I noticed eye strain thats associated with DLP similar to what I found with HD33...mind you this is not due to high lumens because 3010 is significantly brighter and I have no such eye strain.

Later on I watched same movies I watched earlier on HD33 and 3010 for many hours now....its no where close to HD33 in DLP POP and colors...and no way close to my Epson 3010 in brightnes, colors, punch in 2D and 3D....I am sorry to say this as my intention is not to bash this PJ for no good reason...mind you I was willing to cough up more for it if I can convince myself that it's best of the three....and it's not going well!

Also I have a non bat cave living room which I can darken in the morning with blinds closed, but there will be some residual ambient light still.....9500 is almost unwatchable even with a bit of ambient light , unlike my 3010 which has Living-room/Dynamic modes that are designed for non bat caves....so this PJ is mainly designed for batcaves it seems (hd33 comes second in that I remember enjoying a few movies during the day). In the night, the 9500 image is bright in 2D and where it shines is the best black levels and shadow details among the three....but I have noticed that If you don't do sidebyside comparison, 3010 and Hd33 are also very satisfactory. Infanct I got the pictures to line up almost perfectly when both of them are turned on and fed with same image from my dual-hdmi 6700 player and I alternatively blocked 9500 and 3010 and can see 9500 better blacks, but I am perfectly fine with 3010 blacks if I did not do this kind of extreme testing ! Ofcourse 9500 had the dlp sharpness and punch but colors from 3010 are much more natural and the image is a lot more consistent...for a lack of better word.

I know i am not qualified to compare PJ's at a professional level, but i can speak as a User and i am sorry to disagree with Kriane, I was underwhelmed with 9500 compared to Hd33 in terms DLp pop and colors and punch....both in 2d and 3d....the only thing that noticably better on 9500 is the blacks but hd33 has better colors and the first time I saw it, I almost had tears as I was floored by its quality. But with 9500 the colors seem to be pale and I could detect green push....very obvious in Tron movie which had green tint on 9500 while both 3010 and hd33 had more natural looking blue tint that I remember from watching it at the theater. In 3d, I have admit that 9500 is brighter and better blacks than hd33 but the colors looked pale compared to hd33 which had a lot more pop....

Epson only loses to it in some (minor) ghosting (I dont see it bother me in 99% of titles except for harrypotter-1) and contrast in 3D....but beats it hands down in many other ways such as better colors and abundant brightness in 3D....sure 9500 has inky blacks but what good is it if the colors/brightness are not as good.

Very briefly tried 2d to 3d, and the image has lot more depth than 6700 which has good reviews in this feature.

if you really want DLP, you should seriously consider checking out HD33....its a lot better than 9500 in my viewing....

It could be that I may have a defective unit, so may be my observation are an exception Rather than the norm as other buyers here seem quite happy...let me say this, if I had seen 9500 only and not the other two, I would have been floored witth it and would have definitely kept it...but I cannot convince myself to keep it as I have seen better and I will be sending it back soon.

Please don't get me wrong, I really wanted to like this PJ for all the good things I heard but in my comparison I am willing to live with minor ghosting on 3010 in exchange for better colors and brightness. Also since I don't have a batcave so I don't mind giving up the blacks....so take my observations with pinch of salt as they are specific to my setup and my personal taste.

How long have you had the 9500? I only ask because all projectors need to be tweaked to some degree.
post #644 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah View Post

How long have you had the 9500? I only ask because all projectors need to be tweaked to some degree.

For about 3 days now...I agree these are just first impressions based on out of box settings on all three...if someone can give me their favorite settings I will be more than happy to try them and see if I like it better ( in the past I hated 3010 OOB but later loved it after watching a lot more...so who knows !)

Also I did not notice iris pumping in medium setting for 2d...but in 3d it's very obvious and I can't find the menu option to disable it....
post #645 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 01:31 PM

Falafala very cool you have had the chance to view the HD33/3300, 3010 and now the 9500.
Just curious what settings did you try with the Acer? Did you use a preset or user setting. I was never pleased with a preset and always adjusted something to dial it in. So maybe out of the box the 9500 doesn't measure up? But maybe after dialing it in your saying it still doesn't measure up?
I have the pleasure of running movies on a HTPC and noticed some color push, mostly Red and then Blue in my set up and was able to adjust those to levels my eye found best. Using calibrating patterns in the Nvidia and Windows monitor calibrating sections.
Also noticed you mention using the flip out feet on the front of the projector. When I had mine mounted on a coffee table I had to flip them in and shim the right side up to get the screen correct. Didn't take but a couple minutes to fix that issue.
Few people have disliked the remote. Guess I fall in the it works just fine. Sure it has extra button's that have no use but the menu button and navigation have never given me issue. No issue with the remote so far not functioning.

Glad to read your comparison's falafala. The 3010 for a few reason's wouldn't work for me. Too high a input lag for gaming and with 3D I am convinced DLP link is the 3D king for ghost free viewing at this time anyway.
post #646 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:

Also I did not notice iris pumping in medium setting for 2d...but in 3d it's very obvious and I can't find the menu option to disable it....

Yes in 3D to change the dynamic black setting is not easy. Is done in a hidden menu made known to me by Mikes2cents earlier in this post pages back, while viewing 3D content press power then left, left, menu and a service menu will appear. In this menu you can change the setting from off,medium and high. You can also play with the setting's of the dynamic blacks if you like while in there. Pages back there are pictures of this menu posted by me and from Kraine.

Have fun and enjoy the Holidays!
post #647 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:

Hello

Thanks for the feedback. Did you try it with brilliant color off and on? That was something kraine mentioned as introducing noise. Also the default sharpness setting is cranked almost all the way up which I thought was weird. It does get soft quickly when you back it down.
post #648 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Something seems off.. For me the 9500 was such a noticeable jump in PQ (contrast, and sharpness) I knew there was no way the 9500 was going back.

The only thing (from a PQ perspective) I liked better about the Epson was the better brightness in 3D, but then you give up contrast to the Acer.

Do you have BC turned on or off? You might prefer it on, as it will give you more punch with the colors.

I have not owned or spendt time with the 33, but I spent a lot of time with the HD20 and the Acer is noticeably better with regards to contrast.

But hey, it is what it is, and it is cool that you let your eyes be the judge. We are all different and you may just prefer the image of the 3010, and that is nothing to complain about. It is great that we have choice.
post #649 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 03:25 PM

I hope this will work ok on my black-out cloth screen. Ive been using that for a while with my BenQ W500 and it seems to work ok
post #650 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

Input lag doesn't effect movie watching unless you have no method to delay the audio to match lip sync. Unless you have a different example? Like noted TMT5 has a known additional lag time added, other player's out there may do the same, my only experience is with TMT3 and TMT5.

I'm not aware of any way of delaying audio with the nvidia movie player unfortunately, it's pretty basic to say the least! It might be time I investigated something a bit better.

Quote:

I use Nvidia 3D but not as the player, guess I didn't know it works as such, unless your talking about PC gaming, which I do not do so of no help there.

PC gaming is what I use the system for most. A bit of lag is ok for puzzle games and slower things, but for FPSs it's a real problem unfortunately. What's odd is that I don't seem to have lag in 2D mode, not so much that's a problem anyway.

Quote:

Yeap I am familiar with that method. That method will tell you the difference between the projector and your laptop screen but not actual input lag times. Your 100ms is what a reviewer saw when he tested with a bad HDMI cable. After they switched HDMI cables they came in around 30ms lag. Which from my uncalibrated feel would guess mine is in the 30ms area. While gaming the input lag has not been noticed at all for me while playing Assasins Creed in 3D and I have played with input lag that is noticable and annoyed me to no end.

I've tried 3 cables, different brands, 2 x 10m and the 1.5m cable that comes included with the projector. I've also hooked up my main gaming pc to the setup, I only used the laptop as a secondary testing device to view the differences between the outputs and check it wasn't my computer that was playing up. In both cases I've tested with the projector as the only display and had exactly the same symptoms.
I also had no problems at all connecting to the older H5360, although obviously its bandwidth requirements will be less.

I'm currently thinking it's a bad unit, especially with the blurryness that nobody else seems to be getting. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow to make sure I'm explaining it properly. I've tried 3 cables, 2 pcs and they've all been totally consistent with each other, the only other variable is the projector. I've got a support ticket outstanding with Acer but I'm not expecting to hear much back at the moment due to the christmas period.

Thanks for all your feedback, it's very helpful to have other users that know what they're talking about confirm or deny these problems.
post #651 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:

I'm not aware of any way of delaying audio with the nvidia movie player unfortunately, it's pretty basic to say the least! It might be time I investigated something a bit better.

TMT3 nor TMT5 have audio delay setting's either to my knowledge. I use a audio reciever which has audio delay for lip sync issues. But I am sure there is a PC audio card out there that will do it as well.

Quote:

PC gaming is what I use the system for most. A bit of lag is ok for puzzle games and slower things, but for FPSs it's a real problem unfortunately. What's odd is that I don't seem to have lag in 2D mode, not so much that's a problem anyway.

That is what I find also off the HTPC, 2D little input lag, 3D more so. But from what I read on arcsofts forum TMT5 is the culprit. I believe on the PS3 as a source my audio delay stay's constant 2D and 3D.

Quote:

I've tried 3 cables, different brands, 2 x 10m and the 1.5m cable that comes included with the projector. I've also hooked up my main gaming pc to the setup, I only used the laptop as a secondary testing device to view the differences between the outputs and check it wasn't my computer that was playing up. In both cases I've tested with the projector as the only display and had exactly the same symptoms.
I also had no problems at all connecting to the older H5360, although obviously its bandwidth requirements will be less.

I'm currently thinking it's a bad unit, especially with the blurryness that nobody else seems to be getting. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow to make sure I'm explaining it properly. I've tried 3 cables, 2 pcs and they've all been totally consistent with each other, the only other variable is the projector. I've got a support ticket outstanding with Acer but I'm not expecting to hear much back at the moment due to the christmas period.

Thanks for all your feedback, it's very helpful to have other users that know what they're talking about confirm or deny these problems.

Hey I wish you luck with your set up. Sounds like a bad unit really and I hope they fix you up quickly.

Edited to add a thought. Thinking since the one tester found a bad HDMI cable causing issue, maybe your unit has a bad HDMI input. Maybe trying DVI instead of the HDMI input may result in better performance. If that is the case you would know the HDMI side is at fault in the projector. Of course they may be parallel wired internally for all I know.
post #652 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

(sorry Mike, it was me who got that one last unit ! may be you will thank me for saving you the hassle !) .

That was you falafala? You stole my Christmas! After all the quality time we spent together. Anyway, glad to see your review and it may just be that you won't end up liking the 9500 overall. Do yourself a favor, and I am sure you will, try kraine's settings and some of your own. Play with it with your cal disk and get it the best you can. Turn off BC and then put up that train scene from Casino Royale that Art likes to use on both PJs. Switch between the units back and forth and really look at the detail/sharpness. If you still prefer the LCD image, and I cannot figure out how anyone could, then I would say keep the 3010 (or get glasses lol). You are not alone and there are plenty of LCD fans out there. It just does not do it for me. Also, the Batman scene you describe, does it look like kraines video? If not, how does it differ? At any rate you have the unit and have until the end of next month to return it so I hope you give it a good effort to perform for you. I am sure you will and have no problems if you prefer the 3010. That is just how these things go and like ack_bk said, it is great we have a choice. Among those choices is still the Benq but I am seriously studying the reviews of that unit to measure the increase in value/performance vs cost. BTW, can you refresh my memory on what screen you are using? Happy holidays to all. I will be working so no time to play with a new PJ anyway.
post #653 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul GS View Post

Unless both projectors have the same lumens output (which I doubt since the Acer is supposed to be quite bright), the measure you are using is fairly meaningless. Projector "A" may have lower black levels than projector "B" and still have poorer On/Off CR. If all you are after is a lower black level, then use a filter on the lens of the Acer. However, you might then lack the lumens for proper 3D viewing, so you should remove the filter for 3D content.

The 8350 is rated at 2000 lumens as is the acer. Not sure what each measure but they are both similar in brightness. So it is a fair comparison from that standpoint. I would expect them to have black levels that are comparable and from what I remember they were. I was just hoping for more.
post #654 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 05:52 PM

Liked: 12
FalaFala If your unit is not defective I find this review disturbing and have second thoughts about pulling the trigger on this pretty soon

Can anyone else jump in with observations about the brightness and color comparisons ?
post #655 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone here bought from TigerDirect (for any projector, not just this one)? Just curious whether you can return projectors to them for any reason and, if so, how hassle-free the process is (and if you have to pay return shipping). I have about $550 worth of points accrued with an old AmEx card and AmEx is currently offering 20% discount on normal "point prices" for participating stores. The approx $550 worth of points is taking into account the 20% discount, so the end result would be that I'd have to pay about $950 out of pocket. One downside is that TigerDirect's free shipping doesn't seem to apply when buying through AmEx's shopping site, so I'd have to pay for shipping.

Anyway, I'm tempted. I've been with my Panasonic AE-700U (720p LCD) for a while, so the H9500BD would seem to be a nice upgrade on several fronts. Unfortunately, my theater room is woefully inadequate on several fronts (no light control, white walls, and odd shape with a sloped ceiling on one side which likely creates some audio acoustic issues (though I honestly don't detect any, so ignorance is bliss), but also prevents me from maxing out the screen size). Still, with my current 92" Da-Lite High-Power screen and limited to night-time watching, my current setup is still enjoyable and watchable, and I'm hopeful that the H9500BD could be a worthwhile upgrade. After that, I'll try to darken my walls and increase my screen-size a bit (106" or so may be my limit due to the sloped ceiling issue).

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #656 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Scott, I am in the same boat with you regarding the return of this unit. It is only 14 days from purchase date requiring a quick decision and I believe you pay return shipping. I have built several computers with parts from Tiger with good success. I had one bad GT-9500 video card back when and they took that right back and paid shipping. Of course that was a faulty product and not a case where I just did not like the product.

As far as I am concerned right now nothing is going to ship out anymore tonight so maybe there will be a Christmas sale or day after event. Who knows? But at this point I am doing nothing but reading reviews and watching prices.
post #657 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 07:43 PM

i bought mine from tiger direct for 1599.99.last night i saw it listed at tiger for 1499.99,so being the savy shopper that i am i gave them a call today concerning the price difference .they gladly gave me 100.00$ in store credit.
post #658 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

FalaFala If your unit is not defective I find this review disturbing and have second thoughts about pulling the trigger on this pretty soon

Can anyone else jump in with observations about the brightness and color comparisons ?

As I said this is purely my experience and I don't want to discourage anyone from checking it out...most likely you will love it....In fact as I said if this was my first projector, I would have been impressed....it has some really good things going for it over the other two (especially if you have batcave and if you crave for inky blacks) and unless you are crazy like me to get all three, you will not be disappointed !

If I were you, I would buy it from a place where you can return it easily if you need to.

Also my other advice is that give hd33 a shot if it falls in your search criteria....I am paranoid about good warranty so you may want to try out 3300
post #659 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:

All owners of the Acer including me that have posted here have mentioned that brightness is adequate with 3D and definitely good in 2D most running in eco mode. Ack_bk has mentioned he feels brightness is good enough for screens up to and around 120". From two people that have had both the 3010 and the H9500bd the 3010 does do 3D brighter no question. And on the flip side the H9500bd has more contrast in 3D and 2D.
As far as color comparison you have two differing opinions. But it does not sound like Falafala has played with the settings much on the H9500bd so out of the box the 3010 may be better at least in Falafala's viewing. But appears Ack_bk has the opposite opinion.
My experience with the H9500bd is that it is bright enough with 3D, did a lot of 3d viewing while playing Assasins Creed almost from start to finish (more then a few hours). With movie playback off my HTPC I did tweak the Red and Blue to a lesser value using Nvidia adjustments, more so on the Red then the Blue.
That said Kraine has some settings that he was able to calibrate to I believe 6550K value using the menu's available on the projector.
Happy research on your future purchase.
post #660 of 4744 Old 12-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

That was you falafala? You stole my Christmas! After all the quality time we spent together. Anyway, glad to see your review and it may just be that you won't end up liking the 9500 overall. Do yourself a favor, and I am sure you will, try kraine's settings and some of your own. Play with it with your cal disk and get it the best you can. Turn off BC and then put up that train scene from Casino Royale that Art likes to use on both PJs. Switch between the units back and forth and really look at the detail/sharpness. If you still prefer the LCD image, and I cannot figure out how anyone could, then I would say keep the 3010 (or get glasses lol). You are not alone and there are plenty of LCD fans out there. It just does not do it for me. Also, the Batman scene you describe, does it look like kraines video? If not, how does it differ? At any rate you have the unit and have until the end of next month to return it so I hope you give it a good effort to perform for you. I am sure you will and have no problems if you prefer the 3010. That is just how these things go and like ack_bk said, it is great we have a choice. Among those choices is still the Benq but I am seriously studying the reviews of that unit to measure the increase in value/performance vs cost. BTW, can you refresh my memory on what screen you are using? Happy holidays to all. I will be working so no time to play with a new PJ anyway.

I will try kraine's settings and will try to make comparisons....like you said I may be fundamentally a LCD person without knowing it but why did I like hd33 then ?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Projectors , Acer H9500bd 3d 1080p Home Theater Projector , Optoma Kt4348 3d Ready Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page