Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4744 Old 12-27-2011, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

Wish I could for you but I mailed it off to the Antarctic last week. From my memory I did not have sharpness problems HDMI connection with a Window's screen up I could read fine print and everything. I never approached the screen to check pixel's though.

Have you tried a PS3, Blu-ray player or some other 1080P HDMI source beside a computer? Like Mike said HTPC's add a lot of things to the table.

Wow so you really are headed to the Antartic? That is pretty incredible alone and you will have a 3d projector with you. Don't forget to take The Thing and AvP for some fun watching parties.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4744 Old 12-27-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Like Mike said HTPC's add a lot of things to the table.

Not to belabor the point but below is a post from the HD33 thread where one would have to assume there is likely nothing wrong with the PJ and some PC tweaking troubleshooting is in order.

Quote:

Hello everybody. I'm new here. I've bought the hd33 2 weeks ago. It looks awesome with any kind of contents (divx, bluray 2d&3d, 2d games and 3dtvplay from nvidia). All content... BUT one: the desktop of my computer or any others pages with small characters where you clearly see that I cannot get an even focus on the total area of my screen. At some place, it is sharp, at other place it is blurry. Has anyone noticed something similar? An uneven focus all over the screen?

Thank you.

post #723 of 4744 Old 12-27-2011, 10:12 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulnight View Post

Hello everybody. I'm new here. I've bought the hd33 2 weeks ago. It looks awesome with any kind of contents (divx, bluray 2d&3d, 2d games and 3dtvplay from nvidia). All content... BUT one: the desktop of my computer or any others pages with small characters where you clearly see that I cannot get an even focus on the total area of my screen. At some place, it is sharp, at other place it is blurry. Has anyone noticed something similar? An uneven focus all over the screen?

Thank you.

Something I've forgotten to mention: it is not a computer related problem or a source related problem. I can also see that the focus is not homogeneous on the screen with the internal test card/ test pattern of the projector itself ( white lines on a black screen). On my screen with about 120" diagonal, I can measure a range for the width of these lines going from 4mm (where it is sharp) to 7mm (where it is blurry).

Have anyone seen this before?

ps: the reason why I do not see the problem (or almost when watching films or playing video games) is simple: there are not so may small characters (text, icons, numbers) as on my desktop or on internet... Furtheremore, it moves fast in films and video games and it doesn't with your desktop or internet pages or... internal grid test pattern.

You coud also try a grid test pattern on the acer and report your findings concerning the width of your lines all over the screen. Focus homogeneous or not?
post #724 of 4744 Old 12-27-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

So I whipped up AVCHD calibration disk and did the basic brightness,contrast,saturation,tint adjustments on top of krain's settings and turned off the dynamic iris and the image is a lot better in 2d and compares very well with 3010's with extra blacks and sharpness.....but my DLP sensitiveness has not reduced.

Hi, thanks for your feedback on the 9500. Are you seeing the RBE in 2D or 3D? I just demo'd the BenQ W7000 with the 6x color and it was just fast enough for it not to be a problem for my RBE sensitive eyes. I could see it once in a while 2D but not in 3D.
post #725 of 4744 Old 12-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Hi, thanks for your feedback on the 9500. Are you seeing the RBE in 2D or 3D? I just demo'd the BenQ W7000 with the 6x color and it was just fast enough for it not to be a problem for my RBE sensitive eyes. I could see it once in a while 2D but not in 3D.

Good question....luckily I am not RBE sensitive.....but my eyes hurt when looking at DLP image....may be it could be that if image is too sharp it focuses more intensity on the retina like a magnifying glass ?

I found that on hd33 as well but didnt know why until I saw LCD image which don't hurt my eyes the same way even with more lumens ! With hd33 I had to wear he 3d glasses even in 2d to alleviate th eye strain....looks like I am in th minority here!
post #726 of 4744 Old 12-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Can someone else try the HDMI " Limited " mode and see what you think. It lowers black levels a lot compared to Auto. I watched the latest X--Men last night like this and thought it looked great. Probly crazy or blind or something else wrong with me....
post #727 of 4744 Old 12-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post

Can someone else try the HDMI " Limited " mode and see what you think. It lowers black levels a lot compared to Auto. I watched the latest X--Men last night like this and thought it looked great. Probly crazy or blind or something else wrong with me....

You need to recalibrate so black levels are back to Normal
post #728 of 4744 Old 12-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone had a chance to compare the Acer to an Optoma HD3300? Since the W7000 was a bust (in my opinion anyways) I have it narrowed down to these two for my 3D-only unit.
post #729 of 4744 Old 12-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You need to recalibrate so black levels are back to Normal

Normal as in higher? I don't have a calibration disk or any tools to calibrate.
post #730 of 4744 Old 12-27-2011, 06:46 PM

There was an RGB limited or FULL picture slide I used to see if my tv supported rgb full. The slide has different gradations of black and gray, so if you cannot see the majority of the slides, your device does not support that setting, usually being full.
post #731 of 4744 Old 12-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post

Normal as in higher? I don't have a calibration disk or any tools to calibrate.

You can get the avshd calibration disk and video for free on avs forums....
post #732 of 4744 Old 12-27-2011, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Good question....luckily I am not RBE sensitive.....but my eyes hurt when looking at DLP image....may be it could be that if image is too sharp it focuses more intensity on the retina like a magnifying glass ?

I found that on hd33 as well but didnt know why until I saw LCD image which don't hurt my eyes the same way even with more lumens ! With hd33 I had to wear he 3d glasses even in 2d to alleviate th eye strain....looks like I am in th minority here!

Well falafala, I was hoping someone else would respond to this but it looks like not. I prefer the pop of the DLP but agree it can be over the top at times. I am sure you tried Brilliant color off but perhaps you should tone down the sharpness a bit in the brightness and contrast settings if the sharpness level does not do it for you. BTW, what is up with that remote for the 9500?
post #733 of 4744 Old 12-27-2011, 09:03 PM

Dear all,
Many thanks for your replies.

I have tried various settings as recommended by contributors from htpc thread n the hdmi-connected display is still comparatively less sharp when compared to VGA connection..

An Epson 8350 user have commented that he has no problem getting 1:1 pixel-mapping- will really appreciate if fellow owners of Acer 9500bd can help to check if their VGA connection appears sharper than hdmi ones to as I suspect we are not getting the sharpest image via hdmi, irregardless of using bluray player or pc..

Thanks!
EK
post #734 of 4744 Old 12-27-2011, 11:24 PM

Liked: 15
Anyone have any suggestions for glasses that match the image quality of the Acer supplied 3d glasses?

I ordered three of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate3DHeav...5056601&sr=8-1

After a couple days of 3d viewing it is pretty obvious that these glasses are not blocking much of the white flash. The image seen through these glasses has black levels that are almost equal to those when looking at the screen with the naked eye. When looking through the Acer supplied glasses the black levels are great. The 3d image isn't as crisp with the 3d heaven glasses either, don't know if that is just because the contrast is so far off.

I am planning to return these glasses but want to get something ordered right away. I am surprised how much my wife has enjoyed watching 3d on the acer. We have watched a couple movies already in 3d and are loving the projector.

I am thinking about trying these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Any thoughts on them?
post #735 of 4744 Old 12-28-2011, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Okay.. Spent some time with the 9500 tonight after a long day of working in the basement. Some thoughts:
- Kraine was spot on with regards to video noise and BC being turned on. I did not notice it as much the first time I played with the settings, but I noticed a scene in Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone Blu-Ray (it is the scene where Hagrid arrives on his motorcycle in the beginning) and it was a mess of digital noise. Also watched some of the scenes in Empire Strikes Back Blu-Ray with BC on and noticed the video noise on the same scene that Kraine pointed it out on in his review. So BC gets turned off for sure. I am really surprised Art did not notice the digital noise in his review with BC on.
- I spent considerable time with the iris settings on off, medium, and high. I have to say that I am happy with medium. I noticed some minimal pumping effects but it is not very frequent and I do like the additional contrast so it is worth the tradeoff. On high, it is definitely more noticeable and I noticed a few scenes where blacks were being crushed a tad. Off still looks quite good, but I will stick with medium for now.
- I liked Accumotion for 3D, and set it off for 2D, but it actually is not bad on low for 2D, and I am not one to turn on motion for 2D Blu-Ray. But no higher than low for me or it feels a little too processed.
- DLP is definitely a little less forgiving on movies with heavy grain than LCD. I am sure you can adjust some of this out, and it does not bother me so much, but I am sure some people will feel that DLP is a little bit harsh with grain heavy movies vs LCD and most likely LCOS.
- Watched 30 minutes of Kung Fu Panda in 3D tonight on the Acer. Jaw dropping. Really good depth and contrast in 3D. What a blast. I compared the 3D Heaven Glasses to the Acer Glasses and the True Depth rechargeable glasses and I definitely prefer the Acer and True Depth. Better contrast, a little more pop on the colors. That said I got a pair of the 3D Heaven glasses pretty cheap so they are keepers for guests and kids. They did not look bad, but the other two glasses were better. So I will most likely buy two more pairs of True Depth rechargeable or the Acers for the adults and use the 3D Heaven glasses for guests and kids. Pretty much a wash between the Acer and the True Depth's for me.
- Watched Cars 2 on the Acer for about 30 mins in 2D and the picture, for me, was noticeably better than the Epson 3010 that I owned (going from memory). The dark scenes in the beginning (with Finn Mcmissle sneaking onto the barge at night) have great contrast and the pop is definitely noticeable on colors. Black looks pretty black to me
- Very happy with this choice. The menu system, for me, is the biggest pain, pretty klunky and I wish Acer gave us a true CMS.
- That said, I am happy with the color accuracy. As Kraine posted, you can get pretty close to 6500, and I think you would have to have a really well trained eye to notice any color issues.
- I played with the 2D to 3D conversion for about 15 minutes and it is noticeably better than what Panasonic gives you in their 3D BD players (I have the 210). I am not totally sold on converting movies from 2D to 3D, but I played around with a couple of movies and it is pretty decent. Especially for animated movies (I threw in Meet The Robinsons 2D Blu-Ray, and Tron in 2D Blu-Ray).

On a side note, I have been talking to one of my neighbors who sits on the HOA board with my wife. I stopped by his place and he has a dedicated theater room with an Optoma HD20, a 106" screen, and some Polk in-wall speakers. He is ready for an upgrade as he really did not know what he was doing when he bought his gear the first time. We talked for awhile about home theater and he is going to bring in three PJ's this week to demo in his room:
- Sony HW30
- Optoma HD3300
- Panasonic 7000

He is also going to upgrade his screen to 120", get a new Denon receiver and is most likely replacing his Polk's with Triad Gold speakers and a pair of Epik subwoofers after talking to me (I love audio as well as video).

I am going to checkout all three projectors and may bring the Acer with me so I can do some comparisons, but his and my time is limited so hopefully can squeeze the Acer in. Wish I had this guys cash right now (Triad speakers will be my next big audio upgrade).
post #736 of 4744 Old 12-28-2011, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post

Anyone have any suggestions for glasses that match the image quality of the Acer supplied 3d glasses?

After a couple days of 3d viewing it is pretty obvious that these glasses are not blocking much of the white flash. The image seen through these glasses has black levels that are almost equal to those when looking at the screen with the naked eye. When looking through the Acer supplied glasses the black levels are great. The 3d image isn't as crisp with the 3d heaven glasses either, don't know if that is just because the contrast is so far off.

I am planning to return these glasses but want to get something ordered right away. I am surprised how much my wife has enjoyed watching 3d on the acer. We have watched a couple movies already in 3d and are loving the projector.

Any thoughts on them?

LOL, I read your post after just posting mine concerning the 3D Heaven Glasses and we pretty much came to the same conclusion. The Acer glasses are noticeably better. I am interested in those Optoma glasses as well. You may want to checkout the True Depth rechargeable DLP Link glasses as well.
post #737 of 4744 Old 12-28-2011, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I'm happy for you ack_bk, now enjoy
post #738 of 4744 Old 12-28-2011, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post

I'm happy for you ack_bk, now enjoy

Trust me, I am about 2 weeks away from my media room finally being done (carpet will be here on the 9th, projector should be hung that night or the 10th). I have a huge stack of movies to watch Can't wait.

Thanks again for all you assistance with settings. Also, if you have not seen Kung Fu Panda in 3D yet, it is amazing. One of the best 3D titles I have demoed yet. Pretty good story too.
post #739 of 4744 Old 12-28-2011, 12:49 AM

I thought Art stated that without Brilliant Color enabled you lose something to the effect of 600 lumens? I could be wrong on the exact amount, but would you be willing to trade off brightness for color accuracy?
post #740 of 4744 Old 12-28-2011, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCKCHILLOUT View Post

I thought Art stated that without Brilliant Color enabled you lose something to the effect of 600 lumens? I could be wrong on the exact amount, but would you be willing to trade off brightness for color accuracy?

Well, it is not color accuracy it is digital noise that Brilliant Color is introducing. As for lumens, you are correct, BC offers substantially more lumens, and if I had ambient light in the room, I may turn it off.

But disabled in 2D, Kraine measured:
Lamp on low, brilliant color off: 629 lumens
Lamp on High, brilliant color off: 787 lumens

Plenty of lumens there. I switched between normal (high) lamp and eco lamp on a 120" throw on on my wall and eco mode was fine from 13' back in 2D. No issues there and this would obviously be much better with a screen with any type of gain. In fact, BC might be too bright depending on your screen gain in 2D.

BTW, eco mode was definitely quieter. Normal mode, the projector was a little more loud when I had the audio muted.
post #741 of 4744 Old 12-28-2011, 02:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Trust me, I am about 2 weeks away from my media room finally being done (carpet will be here on the 9th, projector should be hung that night or the 10th). I have a huge stack of movies to watch Can't wait.

Thanks again for all you assistance with settings. Also, if you have not seen Kung Fu Panda in 3D yet, it is amazing. One of the best 3D titles I have demoed yet. Pretty good story too.

This is what I posted on the other thread about Kungfu panda
---___________________________________________
DreamWorks owns 3d....at Pixars's expense !

Watched Kungfu Panda 2 in 3d on my 3010 yesterday and was blown away by the visuals, colors and depth....just like Kungu Panda 1 3d, this one has layers upon layers of depth and dream works does a superb job of taking the audience for a joy ride through their intricate scenes with their virtual camera zooming through the many layers. Very little ghosting in both....can't complain on these

Also their other 3d titles are very gratifying like megamind, how to train your dragon and some of the shrek installments (first and last for eg)

Pixar on the other hand seems to be not only losing their edge story wise (cars2 for eg) but they don't seem to embrace 3d with the same quality as dream works.

-----------------------------------
post #742 of 4744 Old 12-28-2011, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel67 View Post

I need some advice from other owners. My 9500 seems to have some problems with side by side content, primarily in games. It looks like tearing but goes horizonal about 1/3 down from the top of the screen. It only appears during high horizontal motion and doesnt manifest itself on still images. At first i thoght it was tridef software but it was still present on avatar demo that does native side by side. Has anyone else seen this on their unit? 1080p side by side otherwise looks georgous. I have tried turning acumotion on/off, etc and nothing seems to help. I will be returning it later this week but really need to hear if others see the same thing.

I encounter absolutely the same problem. It seems the projector has really an issue with sbs. I used a WD Gen 1 Player and several mkvs and an Onkyo TX-NR 708 receiver.. Any idea and help I would appreciate.

I already contacted support, but they want me to send it in, which I don't really want to, since I don't think its needed.
post #743 of 4744 Old 12-28-2011, 07:19 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post

Any thoughts on them?

No experience with the Optoma glasses you have linked as a second option.

I do have some True Depth rechargeables and I cannot tell a difference between them and the Acer with pq quality. I give the nod to the True Depth's though for the recharge ability vs replaceing the battery since the rest is equal.

After reading both your and Ack_bk review of the Ultimate 3Dheaven glasses I will stay clear, I thank you both for that.
post #744 of 4744 Old 12-28-2011, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is what I posted on the other thread about Kungfu panda
---___________________________________________
DreamWorks owns 3d....at Pixars's expense !

Watched Kungfu Panda 2 in 3d on my 3010 yesterday and was blown away by the visuals, colors and depth....just like Kungu Panda 1 3d, this one has layers upon layers of depth and dream works does a superb job of taking the audience for a joy ride through their intricate scenes with their virtual camera zooming through the many layers. Very little ghosting in both....can't complain on these

Also their other 3d titles are very gratifying like megamind, how to train your dragon and some of the shrek installments (first and last for eg)

Pixar on the other hand seems to be not only losing their edge story wise (cars2 for eg) but they don't seem to embrace 3d with the same quality as dream works.

-----------------------------------

Looks like we share similar views on these two movies. The kids enjoyed Cars2, but I was surprised at how lacking the story was compared to other Pixar films. The kids already want to watch Kung Fu Panda 2 again (we watched it in 2D on our Panny plasma) in 3D once the projector is mounted. They won't get an argument out of me...
post #745 of 4744 Old 12-28-2011, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No experience with the Optoma glasses you have linked as a second option.

I do have some True Depth rechargeables and I cannot tell a difference between them and the Acer with pq quality. I give the nod to the True Depth's though for the recharge ability vs replaceing the battery since the rest is equal.

After reading both your and Ack_bk review of the Ultimate 3Dheaven glasses I will stay clear, I thank you both for that.

It is not that the 3D Heaven glasses were bad. There was no visible ghosting or issues at all, the other glasses were just a little better in terms of contrast and color for me. That said, the 3D Heaven glasses are much cheaper, and I doubt my 6 and 4 year old will care about using True Depth vs 3D Heaven
post #746 of 4744 Old 12-28-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyDog View Post

I encounter absolutely the same problem. It seems the projector has really an issue with sbs. I used a WD Gen 1 Player and several mkvs and an Onkyo TX-NR 708 receiver.. Any idea and help I would appreciate.

I already contacted support, but they want me to send it in, which I don't really want to, since I don't think its needed.

Well, I am returning mine to newegg. My unit is overheating even on eco mode and the menu freezes up too. I reported this and the image tearing issue to support as well. We'll see if the replacement has the same issues.
post #747 of 4744 Old 12-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markba1 View Post

just snagged this projector from tigerdirect. I look forward to comparing it to my 3010 before one of them gets returned.

I am nearly positive I will keep the acer for 3d. Ghosting is an incredibly irritating artifact for me. I game quite a bit, and the ghosting from the 3010 on skyrim and battlefield 3 is very noticeable no matter what my convergence settings are. Interestingly, I have not perceived lag enough to be an issue with the 3010 (drake 3, arkham city, wipeout hd, bf3, skyrim). Increased contrast should be a bonus and it should be bright enough in 3d for my room that limits my throw to just under 10 ft (~92 inch diagonal for both 3010 and h9500bd).

2d should be pretty close between the two. I look forward to better contrast but am worried about the oob colors slightly. I use an HTPC but don't want to spend money on a calibration tool that loses its sensor over the course of a year.

Any thoughts on extended warranty with the acer? I had one for my ae900u that i used to replace its grinding iris but it probably would've cost less than the plan to have it fixed.

I found a solution to minimizing/eliminating ghosting on 3010

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21406658
post #748 of 4744 Old 12-28-2011, 10:49 AM

I am awaiting a new unit as well, keep in mind that they are presently out of stock, so they may refund you if that is the case. I am going to wait until they get more units in, which I was told was 7-14 days, so I checked the auto notify option to find out when they're in stock.
post #749 of 4744 Old 12-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Looks like we share similar views on these two movies. The kids enjoyed Cars2, but I was surprised at how lacking the story was compared to other Pixar films. The kids already want to watch Kung Fu Panda 2 again (we watched it in 2D on our Panny plasma) in 3D once the projector is mounted. They won't get an argument out of me...

Tell me about it !

I watched kfp2 at theater in 2d (I will never go to 3d anymore ) and hated it as the image was dim and colors were not as vibrant as kfp1 and the story was a little let down

But once I watched it at home in 3d and my impression is 180 degrees opposite...colors looked vibrant and the 3d depth added another level of experience so much so that I loved the plot also this time !

Goes to prove how well made 3d adds a new dimension (pun intended) !
post #750 of 4744 Old 12-28-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
My 9500 seems to have some problems with side by side content, primarily in games. It looks like tearing but goes horizonal about 1/3 down from the top of the screen. It only appears during high horizontal motion and doesnt manifest itself on still images. At first i thoght it was tridef software but it was still present on avatar demo that does native side by side. Has anyone else seen this on their unit? 1080p side by side otherwise looks georgous. I have tried turning acumotion on/off, etc and nothing seems to help. I will be returning it later this week but really need to hear if others see the same thing.

I'm having exactly the same issue. But it appears only in progressive mode (regardless of resolution) and not in interlaced. I tried 2 different PCs and a Yamaha AV-receiver with high-end de-interlacer. I also already exchanged the projector but the problem stayed exactly the same.

So it looks really like a problem with the current firmware.

Since I'm otherwise very happy with this projector I decided to keep it and hope for a firmware update that fixes this problem.

Btw. Disneys Tangled is amazing in 3D on this projector.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Projectors , Acer H9500bd 3d 1080p Home Theater Projector , Optoma Kt4348 3d Ready Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page