Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 4744 Old 11-01-2011, 04:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vullcan View Post

Its been proven that it cannot accept a 120hz input signal. 60hz is the max over HDMI or DVI

link to test that proves this dvi port is not dual link please. A lot of us are watching this thread for this specific test. I know there was one test on some french forums but it was never established if an actual dual link dvi cable was used, and we do know he never used the nvidia control panel to force the custom resolution, he just tried to personalise the settings through the built in windows display settings control panel. Sadly he had sent the unit back when the flaws in his test method were pointed out so our current hope lies with TimShadler.

Im pretty sure it hasn't been proven yet, the closest thing we've gotten is a comment that its single link from an acer rep at IFA who was described as being unsure when pressed on the matter. To my knowledge a proper test has never been performed (I've been using my google-fu for weeks trying to figure this one out)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 4744 Old 11-01-2011, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 104
"Now comparing two projectors where the differences are night and day (like a $5000 JVC vs. a $500 Acer), that's a lot simpler than comparing two projectors to where the differences are much more minor, as is in this case. So I am not belittling anyone's comparison, but this comparison is extremely difficult to do properly and really needs to be done over many hours of calibration and viewing. I realize this is something most of you do not have the luxury or time to do, so I'll give some leeway here. For the fence sitters, I wouldn't judge these projectors too much from some of these comparisons, I would investigate as much as possible of course."

You're right! There is a night and day difference between the $5,000 JVC and $500 Acer for 3D. The Acer shows no ghosting while JVC owners are complaining all the time.

The $500 Acer is so good in 3D mode that I'm having a hard time justifying an "upgrade" for 3D. While others go through multiple projectors trying to find the "perfect" one for 3D and spending a ton of money Im just sitting back waiting for something as good as the Acer (and as big a bargain) to come along for 1080p. Usually I'm impatient, but for once my patience has paid off big time. Having owned nine projectors previously to the Acer (4 of them 1080p including a Sony G90) I was shocked at what the Acer could do in 3D!
post #63 of 4744 Old 11-01-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimShadler View Post

On the whole I am fairly pleased with the unit. Not quite as bright as the Acer H5360, but fairly close. I'm shooting on a 92" black diamond .8 gain screen. I still feel I need more brightness in 3d so I'm thinking about upgrading to the 2.7 gain screen.

I played around with the dynamic iris a little more tonight. I thought the medium setting was the best. I couldn't notice the iris itself and black were significantly improved (using the latest star trek movie as a test). On high I was able to spot the iris shifting one or two times.

Blacks are not as good as the 8500UB, but significantly better then the h53690.

I had the Acer H5360 and now have the Acer H7531 which for all purpose is a H9500 and feel the H7531 has way more usuable brightness calibrated
then the H5360 on a Hipower screen. I had ordered the H9500BD but cancelled when I realized it wasn't darkChip 3 and went a different direction. The pics posted on the H7531 thread should give you an idea
of PQ. Good luck and am looking forward to the upcoming H9500 reviews.

Specialize in maximizing performance on a beer budget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #64 of 4744 Old 11-01-2011, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

While others go through multiple projectors trying to find the "perfect" one for 3D and spending a ton of money Im just sitting back waiting for something as good as the Acer (and as big a bargain) to come along for 1080p. Usually I'm impatient, but for once my patience has paid off big time. Having owned nine projectors previously to the Acer (4 of them 1080p including a Sony G90) I was shocked a what the Acer could do in 3D!

Good point on the Acer, I would own one myself but it has too much RBE for me, I'm real sensitive even at 4x, so 3x is a no-no for me.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #65 of 4744 Old 11-01-2011, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're right! There is a night and day difference between the $5,000 JVC and $500 Acer for 3D. The Acer shows no ghosting while JVC owners are complaining all the time.

I LOLed big time when I read this and was awaiting some sort of antagonistic retort. I get the same warm and fuzzy when folks get huge $3k flat panel TVs and it ghosts while my 3 year old DLP unit has yet to ghost on me. Some say DLP does ghost, I have just not seen it though I am speaking from my own experience with my TV only. Hopefully some more 9500 owners will be along soon with some reviews.
post #66 of 4744 Old 11-01-2011, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I am buying stuff right now for 2D usage mainly, maybe later I'll look more into the 3D side, but we'll see. I don't think most people buying JVC's are buying it for 3D (I hope not).

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #67 of 4744 Old 11-01-2011, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I am buying stuff right now for 2D usage mainly, maybe later I'll look more into the 3D side, but we'll see. I don't think most people buying JVC's are buying it for 3D (I hope not).

Considering how much content is out there in 2D vs 3D, I would find it hard to watch more than 5% or so of my content in 3D. That said if you are going to pay that much for a projector it should be well rounded and 3D should be able to hang with a model that costs well under half the price.
post #68 of 4744 Old 11-01-2011, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Considering how much content is out there in 2D vs 3D, I would find it hard to watch more than 5% or so of my content in 3D. That said if you are going to pay that much for a projector it should be well rounded and 3D should be able to hang with a model that costs well under half the price.

I could not agree more if that uber expensive unit advertises 3d as well, it better work right. Great image quality is in a world by itself, as is good ghost free 3d. It is in it's own world where once you have seen it you crave more good content. It is that immersive. That extra dimension is just that, an extra dimension. I love it. Going to watch Pirates 3d again tonight because I like 3d that much and I have only watched it once.
post #69 of 4744 Old 11-01-2011, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't really watch 3D.

There weren't any other choices in the JVC's price range that gave nearly the amount of contrast and motorized features. I will get around 25,000:1 native, the next step up Sony projector cost $600 more which does 3D better and better motion, but it had a softer picture and no LENS MEMORY and less contrast, and I didn't really want the Sony. The other choice was the Mits hc7800, but not enough lens shift and only a 4x color wheel (I really need 6x due to RBE sensitivity). Basically that left me with the Sony vw95es, Optoma hd8300, or the JVC RS-45. Since the JVC cost less and I don't really care about 3D, then that is why.

I don't agree that a projector has to have the best 3D, and the JVC's 3D is plenty useable at first, so it's like me saying, if you spend $2000 a projector's 2D should always look as good as the JVC in dark scenes, yah well shoulda coulda woulda.

If I decide 3D is worth it, I'll grab a DLP later.

post #70 of 4744 Old 11-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

I could not agree more if that uber expensive unit advertises 3d as well, it better work right. Great image quality is in a world by itself, as is good ghost free 3d. It is in it's own world where once you have seen it you crave more good content. It is that immersive. That extra dimension is just that, an extra dimension. I love it. Going to watch Pirates 3d again tonight because I like 3d that much and I have only watched it once.

Too much 3D can be bad for your emotional health

I found myself depressed after every good 3D movie as I realized I am not a part of the fantasy world 3D pulls you in for an hour or two. But the pleasure of owning a budget 3D PJ that trumps expensive units can be a good medicine for that depression
post #71 of 4744 Old 11-01-2011, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Back to square one, some of us are fairly adverse to DLP on anything less than a 6x color wheel, I can live with a 4x color wheel for some scenes, but it will drive me crazy in dark scenes next to whites.

post #72 of 4744 Old 11-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Its a chiken and egg issue: You have to see one DLP in action to get sucked into 3D fandom
post #73 of 4744 Old 11-01-2011, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not going to pay double just for 3D or lose all the attributes of the motorized controls, and the JVC was not an ultra-expensive projector, it was actually fairly cheap and the cheapest with those features.

I used to own DLP, several of them. I may actually get rid of the JVC RS-45 and get the Optoma hd8300, but will wait for reviews to see if it has a better lens than the Optoma hd33/3300. Not going to do it for 3D, but only because I like DLP better, but the JVC will be fine for now.

post #74 of 4744 Old 11-01-2011, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't really watch 3D.

There weren't any other choices in the JVC's price range that gave nearly the amount of contrast. I will get around 25,000:1 native, the next step up Sony projector cost $600 more which does 3D better and better motion, but it had a softer picture and no LENS MEMORY and less contrast, and I didn't really want the Sony. The other choice was the Mits hc7800, but not enough lens shift and only a 4x color wheel (I really need 6x due to RBE sensitivity). Basically that left me with the Sony vw95es, Optoma hd8300, or the JVC RS-45. Since the JVC cost less and I don't really care about 3D, then that is why.

I don't agree that a projector has to have the best 3D, it's like me saying, if you spend $2000 a projector's 2D should always look as good as the JVC in dark scenes, yah well shoulda coulda woulda.

Well I am not saying it should have the best 3D. Just saying that 3D should not be an afterthought. And the verdict is still out for 3D on the newer JVC projectors so they might be a "good". I have seen the RS40 in action for 3D, and for me, I was underwhelmed and expected a lot more. Personally I would rate it as poor for 3D. It was a newer bulb in a dark room (dark ceiling, dark walls) and I noticed cross talk and I thought the picture was way too dim. It could have been calibration or a bulb issue, but the 2D was very impressive.

I totally get why you are buying the RS45. For 2D at that price point for Blu-Ray movies, it is going to be hard to beat for a dark dedicated theater room. Solid choice with a proven technology, that DLP cannot touch in terns of black levels. I certainly respect your posts and opinion and I know you have done your homework. I was just pointing out that, for me, a $3K or so projector should be able to do proper 3D. From reports I have read the RS45 is a step up from the RS40. Looking forward to your review once you get the RS45.
post #75 of 4744 Old 11-01-2011, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Back to square one, some of us are fairly adverse to DLP on anything less than a 6x color wheel, I can live with a 4x color wheel for some scenes, but it will drive me crazy in dark scenes next to whites.

I don't even know if I am sensitive to RBE because my TV is a LED DLP and has no color wheel. Everything just works even 3d with my Panny checkerboard 3d BD player and DLP link glasses. When watching it the only thing I could wish for is a bigger picture it is that good. I doubt I am RBE sensitive though because I had a GT720 for a short while and never noticed the RBE. I never got 3d working but that was my own stand that I took with Nvidia and returned the unit. Of course my current 8350 is not a 3d unit but it does a real good job in my application. Very impressive for what it cost and not a DLP because I wanted to try an LCD unit.
post #76 of 4744 Old 11-01-2011, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not going to pay double just for 3D or lose all the attributes of the motorized controls, and the JVC was not an ultra-expensive projector, it was actually fairly cheap and the cheapest with those features.

I used to own DLP, several of them. I may actually get rid of the JVC RS-45 and get the Optoma hd8300, but will wait for reviews to see if it has a better lens than the Optoma hd33/3300. Not going to do it for 3D, but only because I like DLP better, but the JVC will be fine for now.

Have you seen this:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/optoma/hd8300/index.php

If you want inky blacks, I suspect you would be disappointed with the 8300. Not sure how big your screen is, but for me, I was disappointed with the measured lumens for this price point. The HD3300 seems like a much better bargain.

Have you considered the Epson 5010? Lots of lumens, lots of contrast, lots of features, but about the same price as the RS45...
post #77 of 4744 Old 11-01-2011, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:

What did you think of the 5360 in 3D mode? I am sensitive to RBE and can't watch the Acer in 2D mode, but for some reason, it doesn't bother me at all in 3D mode. The HW30 with the MV3D's is better in a number of areas than the 5360.

I've been waiting to hear info on this to use as a dedicated 3D projector. Either this or the BenQ7000. Thanks for those posting your early impressions.
post #78 of 4744 Old 11-01-2011, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you seen this:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/optoma/hd8300/index.php

If you want inky blacks, I suspect you would be disappointed with the 8300. Not sure how big your screen is, but for me, I was disappointed with the measured lumens for this price point. The HD3300 seems like a much better bargain.

I am not a huge black-level fanatic or anything, I just needed to try the JVC Rs-45 for a while and get any black-level thrills out of the way. I am a SCI FI fan, but SCI FAN has somewhat gone to the pits lately and not a lot of good stuff I haven't seen. Lots of teeny bopper shows that end up cancelled (Caprica) and not a whole lot of good shows. Was enjoying The Walking Dead from AMC (not sci fi really), but now just waiting for the next thing.

For me, buying the JVC is kind of like buying a motorcycle and then realizing it probably isn't practical in the rain or snow.
I can probably live with the hd8300's black levels, but I'll wait a little bit and see how much I love (or hate) the JVC.

I considered the Epson 5010, but the JVC was a better deal overall and the Epson doesn't have lens memory or motorized controls or the native contrast anywhere close to the JVC (the Epson relies on a very aggressive IRIS). The Epson does have good blacks and respectable native contrast, but it's not RS-45 good. LCOS also produces a smoother image with a much higher pixel fill ratio. The 5010 is basically an 8700ub with more brightness, I owned the 8500ub once before, so wouldn't be something I haven't seen most likely.

@Others
Just to clarify, I have never owned any ACER's, but I know a 3x color wheel would be too slow, because a 4x color wheel is even pushing it for me.

post #79 of 4744 Old 11-02-2011, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

What did you think of the 5360 in 3D mode? I am sensitive to RBE and can't watch the Acer in 2D mode, but for some reason, it doesn't bother me at all in 3D mode. The HW30 with the MV3D's is better in a number of areas than the 5360.

I've been waiting to hear info on this to use as a dedicated 3D projector. Either this or the BenQ7000. Thanks for those posting your early impressions.

Quite a few people have mentioned that RBE isn't a problem for 3D. I certainly see RBE in 2D mode with the Acer, but none in 3D mode.

Here's a quote from a post by Toe with respect to "ghosting" and DLP and this is a primary reason why, for the time being, I'm sticking with DLP for 3D.

"And that is just it. I always thought ghosting was minor and minimal on my RS40 (while the lamp was new at least) until I saw completely ghost free 3d at ANY setting (brightness, parallax, etc....) on a DLP at which point all that "minor" ghosting did not seem quite as minor. Being able to crank the brightness and depth setting on a DLP with NO side effects/ghosting is a site to behold which you cant seem to do with these non DLPs without introducing more ghosting. Seeing completely ghost free gaming/cable as well was just awesome which is a joke on my 40."
post #80 of 4744 Old 11-02-2011, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I am positive I would see RBE on a 3x color wheel in 3D mode, given the picture were bright enough.

post #81 of 4744 Old 11-02-2011, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am positive I would see RBE on a 3x color wheel in 3D mode, given the picture were bright enough.

You might be right, but you might also be one of the only rainbow sensitive people on the planet to see it in 3D mode. I have read report after report from people who claim they are very RBE sensitive claim they just don't see RBE in 3D mode, which really surprised me. What's the reason? No idea, but it is an interesting phenomena.

BTW has any one tried the 2D to 3D conversion and if so, is it any good?
post #82 of 4744 Old 11-03-2011, 01:41 AM

Quote:

You might be right, but you might also be one of the only rainbow sensitive people on the planet to see it in 3D mode. I have read report after report from people who claim they are very RBE sensitive claim they just don't see RBE in 3D mode, which really surprised me. What's the reason? No idea, but it is an interesting phenomena.

BTW has any one tried the 2D to 3D conversion and if so, is it any good?

I'm going to chime in here with my personal experience on the acer H5360. Played close to 100 hours of fallout 3 and fallout new vegas using nvidia's 3d-vision solution and I ALWAYS came across RBE in places like megaton-- Dark settings with bright lights for illumination.. basically wherever there was a strong dark/light contrast. RBE definitely became less noticable once I passed 1500 hours on the lamp (its on 3500 hours now and I hardly notice RBE at all).

Brightness definitely seems to be a factor, and these 2nd generation 3d models have addressed peoples criticisms that 3d content is too dark by bumping up the lumen count for 3d specific settings. Fine for LCD, not so good or RBE sensitive DLP users.
post #83 of 4744 Old 11-03-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

From PC's review of the Epson 3010.

"Brightness is not an issue; with 2200 lumens at its disposal, the 3010 pumps out plenty of light, even in 3D, up to screen sizes of 120" diagonal in optimal conditions. Finally, compared to other recently released 3D projectors, the 3010 shows a lot of crosstalk, to the point where it became obvious even when we were not actively searching it out."

Brightness is a big issue for LCD and LCoS since it makes the inherent "ghosting" of those technologies more evident. Take your pick -- RBE for DLP or "ghosting" for everything else.
post #84 of 4744 Old 11-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

From PC's review of the Epson 3010.

"Brightness is not an issue; with 2200 lumens at its disposal, the 3010 pumps out plenty of light, even in 3D, up to screen sizes of 120" diagonal in optimal conditions. Finally, compared to other recently released 3D projectors, the 3010 shows a lot of crosstalk, to the point where it became obvious even when we were not actively searching it out."

Brightness is a big issue for LCD and LCoS since it makes the inherent "ghosting" of those technologies more evident. Take your pick -- RBE for DLP or "ghosting" for everything else.

PC "review" was garbage IMO.

Tim - any further impressions? I am seriously considering getting this unit to test but I really want to get it from someone other than Newegg because of their return policy.
post #85 of 4744 Old 11-04-2011, 07:36 AM

Liked: 13
New egg has a 10% off promotion that ends today 11/4/2011 for the H9500bd. Looks like 10% for more then just that projector, all seem to have it, may be product wide as well.

Sure wish I could find more information on this projector. Is between the H9500bd and the HD3300 for me due to gaming and movies being it's main use. Anyone know if the H9500bd has input lag less then 30ms that the HD3300 seems to have?
post #86 of 4744 Old 11-04-2011, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you go to this website http://www.beamer-discount.de/beamer...-pr-37181.html they have a few reviews. you have to use google translate though.

I've been waiting on this projector years: one of the first full-HD 3D video projector with DLP technology, a worthy successor to the Acer H5360.

Picture is top, zero ghosting, no color flashes, relatively quiet.

Bad: NO speaker here, contrary to the description! That was a selling point for me, I'm disappointed!

Lens shift is very small, about 1 / 4 of the range of comparable LCD or LCOS projectors on base. A list of the side next Porjektionsbereichs is not possible.

In contrast to the small 3D-H5360 brother (who is still very marked them), the nVidia shutter glasses no longer be used because the 3D signal via HDMI 1.4a is leaked even at 720p and nVision immediately on 3DTV Play switches and so the IR emitter own disabled. Use the old file should H5360.inf as a remedy, but I could not test yet.
The Acer DLP glasses but are also best.

Also highlight the fantastically well-working "Acu-Motion" system to interpolate frames for playback of 24p 3D material.

Full-HD is only with max. 60 fps, not with 120Hz, as necessary for the nVision-3D system. That is not the projector, but the specification of HDMI, which allows only 120Hz to 1680x1050 Px. Full HD in 3D going with 24p, so the interpolation function is so important.

Conclusion: 3D image even in absolute top, no speaker, rather minor adjustment of the optics ago.

In this price range there has been no comparable units, I know.
Was this review helpful
New! Click the words above to view al
post #87 of 4744 Old 11-04-2011, 08:59 AM

Liked: 12
Yeah, we need some guinea pigs to purchase and report back some results. I was looking at it on newegg and was wondering what's up with the weak lamp life numbers - 2000 standard/2500 Eco? That would be my main drawback/complaint at first glance.
post #88 of 4744 Old 11-04-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

New egg has a 10% off promotion that ends today 11/4/2011 for the H9500bd. Looks like 10% for more then just that projector, all seem to have it, may be product wide as well.

Sure wish I could find more information on this projector. Is between the H9500bd and the HD3300 for me due to gaming and movies being it's main use. Anyone know if the H9500bd has input lag less then 30ms that the HD3300 seems to have?

Yeah I'm seeing 10 percent off + $100 instant savings + free shipping.
post #89 of 4744 Old 11-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Couple new places have the projector up for sale, one being Tiger Direct that has a 14 day return window if anyone feels daring Problem is they are all overcharging..
post #90 of 4744 Old 11-05-2011, 03:48 PM

Can't believe the still charge us over 1900,- euros for this projector....I feel ripped off if I buy one here in Europe.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Projectors , Acer H9500bd 3d 1080p Home Theater Projector , Optoma Kt4348 3d Ready Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread - Kt4348 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page