The Official Acer H9500BD Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 4744 Old 01-09-2012, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Egg has the 9500 back in stock for those shopping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 4744 Old 01-09-2012, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasim Pathan View Post

how did you contact them? call or email?

Email
post #993 of 4744 Old 01-09-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post

Email

Hi Joepaiii,

Can u pls share your email with me? Thanks!

Regards
post #994 of 4744 Old 01-09-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engkiat View Post

Hi Joepaiii,

Can u pls share your email with me? Thanks!

Regards

sent you a pm with my email if that was what you were really after...

For everyone else - I ordered two pairs of Acer glasses.
I went onto Acer's support site and registered my projector. I then went into the email a question link and asked them where I could buy the glasses. They then said I could order them through Acer support. It is a little troubling in that they don't have a web site, just a page to enter credit card information and then the support techs handle the rest. I guess it isn't all that different than arranging a cross-shipment for defective equipment but would have preferred to order from Amazon/newegg.

Total cost for two was 147.76 with shipping and VAT.
post #995 of 4744 Old 01-09-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post

All,

How many can adjust the noise reduction setting? It is greyed out for me and I can't seem to find a setting where I can adjust it. It seems to always be set to 2. Most of the time I am running 1080P 60 to the projector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post

I haven't been able to adjust noise reduction either...

I was got this response from Acer email support -

Thank you for contacting Acer America. My name is Jayaram and Badge Number GWSI1195. I'll be happy to assist you.

I understand that you have a concern regarding the Noise Reduction functionality. I could relate to how inconvenient issues like these could be.

Joseph,

please note that the Noise Reduction functions will not work when it is in computer mode or HDMI mode. So I recommend you whether its is computer mode or HDMI mode.

With this information we would be in a better position to help you.

For further clarification please feel free to visit our web site http://www.support.acer.com/

Thank you for contacting Acer.

Have a great day!

Respectfully,
Acer America Online Technical Support
post #996 of 4744 Old 01-10-2012, 12:41 AM

joepaiii,

Were the glasses the 3D CORETRONIC model? I'm interested since I just ordered the H9500bd from Newegg.
post #997 of 4744 Old 01-10-2012, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi everybody. I'm researching for my new home theater project and this projector seems like it would be a great fit. I'm a little confused about the description of the blur with an HTPC hookup. My setup will be a PS3, DirecTv and the HTPC. I don't really do much internet stuff, instead the HTPC is only used to store and watch MKV bluray rips. I don't really care if the desktop is blurry, I just want to be reassured that the MKV rips will play crystal clear just like any actual bluray would. If not I will have to look elsewhere. All my gaming is done on the PS3 so I'm not worried about that for the computer hookup. Any insight would be great. Thanks.
post #998 of 4744 Old 01-10-2012, 02:02 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrenier16 View Post

Hi everybody. I'm researching for my new home theater project and this projector seems like it would be a great fit. I'm a little confused about the description of the blur with an HTPC hookup. My setup will be a PS3, DirecTv and the HTPC. I don't really do much internet stuff, instead the HTPC is only used to store and watch MKV bluray rips. I don't really care if the desktop is blurry, I just want to be reassured that the MKV rips will play crystal clear just like any actual bluray would. If not I will have to look elsewhere. All my gaming is done on the PS3 so I'm not worried about that for the computer hookup. Any insight would be great. Thanks.

Can not speak on MKV rips, I do ISO rips with Blu-ray and they play great on this projector as do VOB files (DVD) through Total Media Theater 5 as the player.
3D blu-rays I do as ISO also and they play very well, in fact I feel it has more depth then when the same movie is played with the PS3 with the disc.
I have never used SBS 3D nor do I plan to, but some have noticed problems while viewing SBS 3D, so if your MKV files are SBS you may not be satisfied. Have not read how the Epson 3010 or the HD33/3300 handle SBS in comparison. But the little I know of SBS it seem's to be issue with a lot of 3D displays.
post #999 of 4744 Old 01-10-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

Can not speak on MKV rips, I do ISO rips with Blu-ray and they play great on this projector as do VOB files (DVD) through Total Media Theater 5 as the player.
3D blu-rays I do as ISO also and they play very well, in fact I feel it has more depth then when the same movie is played with the PS3 with the disc.
I have never used SBS 3D nor do I plan to, but some have noticed problems while viewing SBS 3D, so if your MKV files are SBS you may not be satisfied. Have not read how the Epson 3010 or the HD33/3300 handle SBS in comparison. But the little I know of SBS it seem's to be issue with a lot of 3D displays.

A lot of 3D mkv's that a person can download are SBS versions. If anyone feels like downloading one and trying it, it would be interesting to see.
post #1000 of 4744 Old 01-10-2012, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

Thanks for the info. I don't have any 3D currently so as long as I avoid any SBS 3D it sounds like this should be a pretty good contender.
post #1001 of 4744 Old 01-10-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHT View Post

joepaiii,

Were the glasses the 3D CORETRONIC model? I'm interested since I just ordered the H9500bd from Newegg.

Don't know the model, I am hoping they are the same as the ones shipped with the projector. Will let you know when I get them.
post #1002 of 4744 Old 01-11-2012, 06:24 AM

Well, I've just received the projector back from it's supposed repair. Both the blur and lag problems are still there, with a note from acer saying that "the projector powers ok, tested hdmi and dvi ports and are unable to duplicate the fault recorded and if the fault persists please provide further information". No mention of the lag at all.

I'd send a mammoth document in the projector explaining exactly how to replicate the problem, including images, but unfortunately they seem to have ignored that.

After another phone call it's going back again and has gone up to 'escalations'. The saga continues...
post #1003 of 4744 Old 01-11-2012, 06:41 AM

They probably didn't test it with an HTPC.
Did some for this problem useless standard testing.
I am pretty sure, the projector's got some basic design flaws.
Will be interesting to find out if it they can fix it somehow...
Escalations... I am holding my breath...
post #1004 of 4744 Old 01-11-2012, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Unfortunate outcome Tom. I honestly did not have much faith based on the email responses some people are getting from them.
post #1005 of 4744 Old 01-11-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdfrost View Post

Well, I've just received the projector back from it's supposed repair. Both the blur and lag problems are still there, with a note from acer saying that "the projector powers ok, tested hdmi and dvi ports and are unable to duplicate the fault recorded and if the fault persists please provide further information". No mention of the lag at all.

I'd send a mammoth document in the projector explaining exactly how to replicate the problem, including images, but unfortunately they seem to have ignored that.

After another phone call it's going back again and has gone up to 'escalations'. The saga continues...

Well that is frustrating. Have you considered just demanding a new model just to rule out if you have a bad projector or not?
post #1006 of 4744 Old 01-11-2012, 08:45 AM

Don't think it is a bad unit.
I have the projector here and tested it with similar equipment.
Same problems as described by tomdfrost...
post #1007 of 4744 Old 01-11-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Well that is frustrating. Have you considered just demanding a new model just to rule out if you have a bad projector or not?

Will see what happens on the next return, this time I've sent them a 4 page document describing the problems, with photos, so there's really no way they won't be able to replicate it. I've also got an email address to send details to as well, to really make sure they don't ignore them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausFly View Post

KlausFly, do you have the same problems with lag too? My latest measurements average at 170ms when in 3D mode.
post #1008 of 4744 Old 01-11-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Will see what happens on the next return, this time I've sent them a 4 page document describing the problems, with photos, so there's really no way they won't be able to replicate it. I've also got an email address to send details to as well, to really make sure they don't ignore them.

I hope all this information and work you have put into these issues pays off for you and other users who are affected by this. Otherwise, it sounds like you will need to look at other options.
post #1009 of 4744 Old 01-11-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausFly View Post

I think you both had bad units. I had the Acer for a while and compared it directly to the Epson 3010. I saw the fuzzier image in the Acer in HDMI compared to VGA, but on the unit I had, the Acer's video image in HDMI was still sharper than the 3010's, and both looked pretty great. Also, the video lag in the Acer seemed less than the 3010's in 3D when playing Batman on the PS3. So, I think the fuzziness reported by others re the Acer is not at all as severe as that reported by the two of you, and same re the lag. Acer should send you new or refurbished machines under warranty.
post #1010 of 4744 Old 01-11-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickMcKaha View Post

I think you both had bad units. I had the Acer for a while and compared it directly to the Epson 3010. I saw the fuzzier image in the Acer in HDMI compared to VGA, but on the unit I had, the Acer's video image in HDMI was still sharper than the 3010's, and both looked pretty great. Also, the video lag in the Acer seemed less than the 3010's in 3D when playing Batman on the PS3. So, I think the fuzziness reported by others re the Acer is not at all as severe as that reported by the two of you, and same re the lag. Acer should send you new or refurbished machines under warranty.

Just to echo. I am feeding HDMI from DirecTV and a Panasonic BT210 Blu-Ray player to the 9500 and it is definitely sharper than the Epson 3010 that I owned. And it is not like the 3010 is not sharp to begin with. I cannot comment on video game lag in 3D vs 2D, but I do know that Projectorreviews measured 30ms for game lag using the 9500 (not sure if this is 2D or 3D).

None of the professional reviews I have seen regarding the 9500 have mentioned blurriness issues using HDMI, so this leads me to believe this may have something to do with the communication via HDMI between the source and the projector.
post #1011 of 4744 Old 01-11-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
i don't see blurriness at all either, i will try the vga port if there is a difference. im also running panny 310 player via HDMI. im using a 25ft silver plated HDMI 1.4 cable from mono price.
post #1012 of 4744 Old 01-11-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:

At least you got it back (once). They still have mine with no eta or communication on if they can fix it.
post #1013 of 4744 Old 01-11-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickMcKaha View Post

It is hard to compare the fuzzier image of HDMI connection as different people has different perceptions and even photo snapshots can't be a very convincing representation of the difference compared to VGA connection.

But if VGA can yield a sharp image better than HDMI for you and others who tested, don't we all think the latter should be even sharper/ better since one is digital and the other is analog (mine runs at 6m long which supposedly degrades the image further, but it is still clearly superior to the hdmi connection when viewed on-site)?

I suspect Epson projectors are having same issues with default scaling/ scanning set to ON, or users did not turn it off -options for turning on/ off scaling/scanning, which should be available as an option for All hdmi connection (do not scale-let player/ source set the output resolution, which comes as an option in all bluray players).

Let's dig deeper regarding this issue for an even better image from all our projectors..

Cheers
post #1014 of 4744 Old 01-12-2012, 12:43 PM

Hey everyone, it's been a long wait. I sent my Acer back to Newegg on the 17th, and hopefully will be able to get my new unit sometime today.

I was just wondering what people were doing for settings. I was going to try Kraine's settings using the pink wall settings. Either that or dark Cinema. Is there any better settings I'm not aware of?

When gaming, do you guys use the "Game" picture settings? I am going to try to turn off the Dynamic Iris for gaming.

Glasses-I want to use the Acer or (Optoma ZD 201) models, but it seems like there is still a shortage, ~$88-$100 from the UK to USA, I think I can hold out unless someone knows of a different source.

Are there any 3D picture setting tweaks that anyone has to share?

Also, what is your favorite 3D blu-ray you have seen or own. I currently have Drive Angry and that is it. I definitely will get Avatar someday and pre-ordered Transformers Dark of Moon 3D. I am thinking about Resident Evil and Tron(mostly due to deep blacks and soundtrack).

I'm pretty excited!
post #1015 of 4744 Old 01-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCKCHILLOUT View Post

Hey everyone, it's been a long wait. I sent my Acer back to Newegg on the 17th, and hopefully will be able to get my new unit sometime today.

I was just wondering what people were doing for settings. I was going to try Kraine's settings using the pink wall settings. Either that or dark Cinema. Is there any better settings I'm not aware of?

When gaming, do you guys use the "Game" picture settings? I am going to try to turn off the Dynamic Iris for gaming.

Glasses-I want to use the Acer or (Optoma ZD 201) models, but it seems like there is still a shortage, ~$88-$100 from the UK to USA, I think I can hold out unless someone knows of a different source.

Also, what is your favorite 3D blu-ray you have seen or own. I currently have Drive Angry and that is it. I definitely will get Avatar someday and pre-ordered Transformers Dark of Moon 3D. I am thinking about Resident Evil and Tron(mostly due to deep blacks and soundtrack).

I'm pretty excited!

I tried Kraine's pink wall setting and thought it looked good, a little dark over all though and I had to dial back the green from where his was. It really depends on the movie which setting looks best I think. I wish the 9500 had more than 1 User setting but not too big a deal.

In 3D the stock setting looks good, there's not a whole lot you can do with it unless you go into the service menu which I haven't tried yet maybe this weekend. Push power, left, left, menu and supposedly you can change iris settings and other things.

I have watched Drive Angry that has awesome 3D. Also thought Captain America 3D was great even though it wasn't filmed in 3D, HT Mag said it was the best 2D-3D conversion they had seen, I agree. Also Thor 3D looks great, and POTC On Stranger Tides which was filmed in 3D looks incredible. I have Tron 3D but haven't watched it yet. The Acer 9500 throws such a solid, clean looking picture with great blacks and great shadow detail there's not much to complain about. My only nitpick would be colors sometimes look under saturated but there may be a way to fix that, and the iris I can see doing its thing sometimes but doesn't take me "out" of the movie.
post #1016 of 4744 Old 01-12-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCKCHILLOUT View Post

I'm pretty excited!

I've got the little brother Acer 5360, and I think Drive Angry is one of the best examples of non-animated 3D. Avatar is another, althought not as much depth as DA, but its a visual feast. My favourite movie in 3D so far is probably Legend of the Guardians. Absolutely incredible 3D that adds a lot to the experience. I've heard that How to train your Dragon is another fantastic movie in 3D.
post #1017 of 4744 Old 01-12-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Guys, sadly I still have no new 3d PJ. I almost sprung for the W7000 today but now it appears to be showing some lower right corner image problems. I am still ready to try the 9500 if Amazon gets it back at a good price but I have one huge reservation, and that is reported SBS tearing issues. My cable provider now has 3D content available and go figure it is crappy SBS format. Can any of you comment on SBS viewing from cable or Sat? Seems the problems thus far have been with games. Just curious.

Now on a cheery note, here is what I can say about my small 3D collection viewed on my DLP TV:
1. POTC, my favorite because I like that slapstick fun loving genre and it has very good depth along with a storyline I like. I expected to have fun, laugh and I did. Very entertaining, and long. Not the best pop out but one of my favorites to date just because I like that cheesey stuff.
2. My Bloody Valentine, because it is so immersive and has a storyline like all b grade horror movies do and I never guessed the outcome. Again has very good depth, some good pop out. Not for kids (nudity), and being my 1st 3d movie it will always be a favorite. Recommend because it ought to be cheap now.
3. Drive Angry. Yeah, not a blockbuster but it has good 3D and nudity. Very similar to MBV in depth and pop out but MBV is my first and I still like that one. Almost a tossup here. There are more interesting characters in this one than MBV but the suspense is better in MBV. Some cheesy stuff but recommend.
4. Resident Evil. It was my second 3d movie and she is hot. Good effects and some decent pop out. Not so crazy about the storyline but I enjoyed it even without having seen any of the other ones. Kind of dreary looking but the story was good enough that I stayed with it and have watched it several times. Would not watch this one in 2D.
5. Saw 3D. Yeah I know but I have every one of those movies and love them. Creepy. This one too is dreary most of the time and a lot of people say it did not need to be in 3D but I enjoyed it. If you like parts/blood flying at you try this one out but be advised you are better served seeing all the previous ones so it is easier to know what is going on. Sick movie, I liked all of them. Maybe not much extra in 3D but I liked it.
6. Step Up. This movie storyline blows for the most part. Stupid dance movie with music I generally do not care for until I watch it in 3D and crank the surround to shake the house. I actually like most all music so the dance scenes in 3D are sick. The chick with the red and black gloves in the dance off scene comes right out of the screen at you. Wow. I always show this to people who want to see 3D and it blows them away. There are also other good pop out dance scenes but aside from that I do not care for the story which looks to make high school girls feel good in the end. There are some very good 3D scenes in this movie to showcase though. Not worth watching in 2D.

You probably noticed I have zero animated 3D. I have little interest in those at present because my son is grown up now (legally only and killing my funds with college) so I may check out some of that on cable/free but have no desire to buy. You probably noticed that all of my titles are native 3D and not conversions. That is how I like things. I hope the 9500 works out for me, or if not then the W7000. If not I may hold what I have because I simply cannot expect the 5010 to compete with my TV in 3D. I am OK waiting another year if I have to. Yes, there is something to this DLP thing, trust me. You have not gone down the wrong 3D mode and lumens be damned. Ghost free and PQ sharpness rules.
post #1018 of 4744 Old 01-12-2012, 06:51 PM

not only will you wait until next year but I have a feeling that we are going to be enjoying 4k dlp and your still going to be on the sideline contemplating the purchase of the 9500.
post #1019 of 4744 Old 01-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
On a lighter note. My kids and i just finished watching legends of the guardian in 3d on the acer. Stunning 3d images. I just wish it had alittle more pop out content. I also wish the 3d menu would remember the settings i make in it every time i power up the projector. Other than that and maybe the slow menu it is a home run imo. I demoed it to a few neighbors yesterday. They were amazed at the 3d image. One of them just saw hugo 3d at the movies and said this was in a completely different league than the 3d at the theater.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #1020 of 4744 Old 01-12-2012, 09:34 PM

All,

I was watching Avatar 3D off HBO 3D on-demand and it was in side by side (SBS) format. This is the first time I noticed any of the on-demand content being in that format. Watched most of the movie and didn't see any of the tearing that others had mentioned, it looked really good. Other than the typical compression artifacts that is.

Looks like not all SBS causes problems for this projector. I wonder if some of the SBS content generated from PC games is causing tearing due to something like not disabling wait for vertical sync.

http://serato.com/articles/video-sl/...ffect-video-sl
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Projectors , Acer H9500bd 3d 1080p Home Theater Projector , Optoma Kt4348 3d Ready Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread - Kt4348 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page