post #1081 of 4744 Old 01-18-2012, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

That is rather ridiculous. I don't understand how you can sell 3D projectors but not have 3D glasses readily available for sale. I can only imagine the profit margins on these glasses is very high, so Acer is basically losing out and forcing users to buy glasses from other manufacturers.

I will let you know how the Optoma glasses work out . Installed my projector mount last night and should have everything ready to go by Friday night and be watching my first movie in the media room.

I will be waiting to hear how you like the optima glasses compared to the rather excellent acer glasses.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 4744 Old 01-18-2012, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

My tearing problem was only with side by side content. 3DTV PLay and frame packing seem to work fine.

I second that. Also the tearing did only appear with progressive SBS input. When connected to my sky revceiver which does output interlaced SBS, no tearing occured.

I had actually the chance to either buy the new ACER glasses or the True Depth 3D glasses, but after an intensive comparison I decided to buy more True Depth glasses.
The picture quality (contrast/brightness/black level) was equal but the glasses are bigger, they are rechargeable and they look less technical than the Acers. Also they do not slip from the face if I look downwards, like the Acers do.
post #1083 of 4744 Old 01-18-2012, 11:38 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobsi View Post

I had actually the chance to either buy the new ACER glasses or the True Depth 3D glasses, but after an intensive comparison I decided to buy more True Depth glasses.
The picture quality (contrast/brightness/black level) was equal but the glasses are bigger, they are rechargeable and they look less technical than the Acers. Also they do not slip from the face if I look downwards, like the Acers do.

That is the same comparison I came up with. Another noticed and posted pictures of the True Depths showing a loss of deep blacks vs the Acers. I am more curious now if that poster recieved bad glasses and or True Depth changed something after the lack of supply around Christmas.
post #1084 of 4744 Old 01-18-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:

I am more curious now if that poster recieved bad glasses and or True Depth changed something after the lack of supply around Christmas.

Hmm, I bought all of my True Depth glasses before christmas (6 pairs) and they all are ok.
post #1085 of 4744 Old 01-18-2012, 02:44 PM

Liked: 10
Equipment:
Samsung BD-D6700
Onkyo TX-NR809
Acer H9500BD
ATT Uverse
Panasonic Plasma TV
Xpand X102 & Acer Glasses

Overall:
I am impressed with this projector. I have owned two other DLP projectors and they just keep getting better. The color saturation is by far the best I have had (my plasma TV is in the same room and the color rendition is much closer than my previous projectors (Viewsonic & Sharp). Like the review says, though, for some this may be too vivid but I prefer vivid to washed out color. The 3D quality is honestly amazing on a 84" diagonal matte white screen. I def. contribute this to the the active shutter glasses. Images are stunning, amazing depth, bright, colorful, eye-popping. The lumens on this unit aren't as high as my ViewSonic but somehow its bright enough to watch TV during the day with the blinds closed. The contrast level is excellent. My previous projectors would cast light all over the room but this unit manages to keep the light on the screen so the room actually stays darker (not sure how it does that).

PROS:
-The Acer DLP Link glasses have the best color rendering and contrast level compaired to the Xpand X102's.. but I wouldn't say the x102's are bad especially considering you can get 2x of them for under $115 from tiger direct and they are washable and appear to be more durable. The x102's do display a brighter image but in the movies that I have watched so far, I prefer the darker contrast from the Acer glasses
-Excellent Contrast 2d and 3d
-Great Color out of the box on Standard, Movie Mode or Dark Cinema (for an average user) in 3d and 2d
-Absolutely NO ghosting or image cross-talk in 3d
-Lens Shifting - didn't think I would actually need it but it did come in handy becuse I was using an already installed ceiling mount... you never think about where the lenses are on the unit itself.
-Much, much quieter than my Viewsonic PJD-6221. It's mounted to the ceiling and I can almost say that I don't hear it at all. Also, shuts down very, very quietly.
-Replacement bulbs are relatively inexpensive comapaired to my old Sharp
- You can tell a BIG difference from 720P and 1080P on these DLP projectors. Especially since it has HDMI, your standard def dvds are upconverted. MUCH, much better.
- The DLP link distance is impressive (on both the acer brand and x102) ... I actually walked into my master-bedroom and they still worked through the door way... at least 25 feet away

CONS:
-Acer Glasses lose sink easier than the Xpand and are currently not availalbe for sale seperately on the open market and only comes with 1 battery (albeit one you can purchase in the store) and are not rechargeable. They are manufactured by Coretronic and I've been looking for other, cost effective brands manufactured by Coretronic but so far have only come up with Optoma (and of course, their newest DLP Link Glasses aren't out yet either)
-Image processing takes several attempts and causes the onkyo's sound to go out. I'm assuming the HDMI 1.4a standard hasn't really been worked out and we will see lots of firmware updates (at least I hope their are more firmware updates).
-3D mode is sometimes difficult to get started... it's not as autmotatic as it should be but I think this is mostly due to the blu ray disks offering of 2d or 3d on the same disk. If the disk just started in 3d it would be less of a problem I would imagine.
-3D programming over UVERSE... mmmm.. not so great. you have to manually select top/bottom format. When exiting 3D from Uverse, image remains in top/bottom format. More image syncing and you have to manaully exit 3D
-Could not get 2d to 3d conversion to work over Uverse but I didn't mess around with it a lot.
-Short Warranty Period, not as good as any other projector manufacturer and I used the 3 year warranty on the Viewsonic just after the 2nd year. With the Sharp, the bulb went out way before it's time; but, of course, after 90 days bulbs aren't under warranty anyway.

My two cents for USEFUL INFORMATION
-Be sure you have the HDMI CEC or RHID turned off if you are connecting two different display devices through your receiver or bd-player. If this feature is on (any of the devices) then it wants all of them to be on and if one device is non-3D then you will never be able to get the Acer to sync in 3D.
-Screws for Mounting come with universal projector mounts (not with the projector). I've used the same mount for three different projectors and it came with screws to fit all of them (I only mentioned this becuase someone in another review complained). If you didn't keep the screws that came with your mount they do carry them in stock at lowes. They are 3mx20mm machine screws
-Not sure I would use this for gaming.... I'd stick with a less expensive unit if you don't plan on hooking it up to an actaul home entertainment set-up.

What I wish for:
A truely automatic 3d experience
Improved handshaking Or just bypass 3d compatibiltiy check between units

Other thoughts:
I haven't tried this but perhaps eliminating the Onkyo as the middleman the handshaking of the 3d may be easier. Let me know if you have had some experience as there are several DVD players with multiple HDMI outs (including the one that I have)

Acer Glasses Update:A rep from Acer USA called me and has stated that the glasses are only available right now from the Manufacturer with the product. There are no glasses in stock anywhere in the USA (as of this post). They are not even available from Acer's own parts department.
post #1086 of 4744 Old 01-18-2012, 03:12 PM

The Coretronic glasses are on Acer's site for 79.99 each and 10 dollars shipping, but they look exactly like the optoma ZD 101. The glasses that we received with the units appear to be the optoma ZD 201 only available in the UK.

Acer dropped the ball big time on this one. My goal was to watch Transformers Dark of Moon in 3D with other people, but I doubt it's going to happen in time (1/31/2012).
post #1087 of 4744 Old 01-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Good post sden, welcome to the forums.

Have you had a chance to read through this thread and see if any of the issues other users are having is impacting your unit? I am mainly curious about input lag while in 3D or the sharpness issues on your unit.
post #1088 of 4744 Old 01-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdenmark View Post

Equipment:
Samsung BD-D6700
Onkyo TX-NR809
Acer H9500BD
ATT Uverse
Panasonic Plasma TV

-3D mode is sometimes difficult to get started... it's not as autmotatic as it should be but I think this is mostly due to the blu ray disks offering of 2d or 3d on the same disk. If the disk just started in 3d it would be less of a problem I would imagine.

My Oppo 93 is connected directly to the Acer 9500 and have no problems getting 3D started, maybe it is your receiver. What blu ray disks have 3D and 2D on the same disk, all of my 3D BR's are stand alone disks. Nice review BTW...
post #1089 of 4744 Old 01-18-2012, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobsi View Post

Hmm, I bought all of my True Depth glasses before christmas (6 pairs) and they all are ok.

The ones I had worked well enough, it was just that the contrast and black level with them was not as good as with the white Acer glasses.
post #1090 of 4744 Old 01-19-2012, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

For those on the fence, Newegg has 10% off today on almost all projectors (I made a post in the deal forums) and this guy comes out to a low price with 2-day air shipping. I went ahead and pulled the trigger and figure I can resell it pretty easily without losing a ton if I don't like it.

I've had just about every 3D projectors from 2011 and many, many of the 720P DLP units so I will let you guys know what I think once the Acer arrives.
post #1091 of 4744 Old 01-19-2012, 08:18 AM

i would bite on it if it wasnt for neweggs junky return policy

If only amazon would price match it, i could use my $500 amazon credit.....
post #1092 of 4744 Old 01-19-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdenmark View Post

Equipment:
Samsung BD-D6700
Onkyo TX-NR809
Acer H9500BD
ATT Uverse
Panasonic Plasma TV

Overall:
I am impressed with this projector. I have owned two other DLP projectors and they just keep getting better. The color saturation is by far the best I have had (my plasma TV is in the same room and the color rendition is much closer than my previous projectors (Viewsonic & Sharp). Like the review says, though, for some this may be too vivid but I prefer vivid to washed out color. The 3D quality is honestly amazing on a 84" diagonal matte white screen. I def. contribute this to the the active shutter glasses. Images are stunning, amazing depth, bright, colorful, eye-popping. The lumens on this unit aren't as high as my ViewSonic but somehow its bright enough to watch TV during the day with the blinds closed. The contrast level is excellent. My previous projectors would cast light all over the room but this unit manages to keep the light on the screen so the room actually stays darker (not sure how it does that).

PROS:
-The Acer DLP Link glasses have the best color rendering and contrast level compaired to the Xpand X102's.. but I wouldn't say the x102's are bad especially considering you can get 2x of them for under $115 from tiger direct and they are washable and appear to be more durable. The x102's do display a brighter image but in the movies that I have watched so far, I prefer the darker contrast from the Acer glasses
-Excellent Contrast 2d and 3d
-Great Color out of the box on Standard, Movie Mode or Dark Cinema (for an average user) in 3d and 2d
-Absolutely NO ghosting or image cross-talk in 3d
-Lens Shifting - didn't think I would actually need it but it did come in handy becuse I was using an already installed ceiling mount... you never think about where the lenses are on the unit itself.
-Much, much quieter than my Viewsonic PJD-6221. It's mounted to the ceiling and I can almost say that I don't hear it at all. Also, shuts down very, very quietly.
-Replacement bulbs are relatively inexpensive comapaired to my old Sharp
- You can tell a BIG difference from 720P and 1080P on these DLP projectors. Especially since it has HDMI, your standard def dvds are upconverted. MUCH, much better.
- The DLP link distance is impressive (on both the acer brand and x102) ... I actually walked into my master-bedroom and they still worked through the door way... at least 25 feet away

CONS:
-Acer Glasses lose sink easier than the Xpand and are currently not availalbe for sale seperately on the open market and only comes with 1 battery (albeit one you can purchase in the store) and are not rechargeable. They are manufactured by Coretronic and I've been looking for other, cost effective brands manufactured by Coretronic but so far have only come up with Optoma (and of course, their newest DLP Link Glasses aren't out yet either)
-Image processing takes several attempts and causes the onkyo's sound to go out. I'm assuming the HDMI 1.4a standard hasn't really been worked out and we will see lots of firmware updates (at least I hope their are more firmware updates).
-3D programming over UVERSE... mmmm.. not so great. you have to manually select top/bottom format. When exiting 3D from Uverse, image remains in top/bottom format. More image syncing and you have to manaully exit 3D
-Could not get 2d to 3d conversion to work over Uverse but I didn't mess around with it a lot.
-Short Warranty Period, not as good as any other projector manufacturer and I used the 3 year warranty on the Viewsonic just after the 2nd year. With the Sharp, the bulb went out way before it's time; but, of course, after 90 days bulbs aren't under warranty anyway.

My two cents for USEFUL INFORMATION
-Be sure you have the HDMI CEC or RHID turned off if you are connecting two different display devices through your receiver or bd-player. If this feature is on (any of the devices) then it wants all of them to be on and if one device is non-3D then you will never be able to get the Acer to sync in 3D.
-Screws for Mounting come with universal projector mounts (not with the projector). I've used the same mount for three different projectors and it came with screws to fit all of them (I only mentioned this becuase someone in another review complained). If you didn't keep the screws that came with your mount they do carry them in stock at lowes. They are 3mx20mm machine screws
-Not sure I would use this for gaming.... I'd stick with a less expensive unit if you don't plan on hooking it up to an actaul home entertainment set-up.

What I wish for:
A truely automatic 3d experience
Improved handshaking Or just bypass 3d compatibiltiy check between units

Other thoughts:
I haven't tried this but perhaps eliminating the Onkyo as the middleman the handshaking of the 3d may be easier. Let me know if you have had some experience as there are several DVD players with multiple HDMI outs (including the one that I have)

Acer Glasses Update:A rep from Acer USA called me and has stated that the glasses are only available right now from the Manufacturer with the product. There are no glasses in stock anywhere in the USA (as of this post). They are not even available from Acer's own parts department.

Great review and write up! Could you expand more on your audio issues? I have an Onkyo 1009, which is almost identical to the 809 and haven't noticed any audio switching issues when the projector says signal processing. The sources for me are a ps3 and a fios moto qip7100 2 hd box.

I also haven't had much trouble with the projector switching in and out of 3d mode. There may have been a case where it got confused when I turned of 2d - 3d mode but that was really it.
post #1093 of 4744 Old 01-19-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphx2 View Post

X2. Also I have to pay tax with egg. I called Tiger and they could/would not price match that egg discount. They did come off of their price enough that it was cheaper than egg with tax and said I had 30 days to return it so I went for it. Tired of waiting, The fence was hurting my rear end.

Before anyone asks they went down to 1,550 plus shipping. I should have it Mon or Tues so I will be able to make some observations as well. I have 4 pairs of UltrClears so I will be able to comment on those as well. Any questions about tiger price match or policy please call them as I have pretty much told you what I know. They said the egg price with promo code was below their cost.
post #1094 of 4744 Old 01-19-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

X2. Also I have to pay tax with egg. I called Tiger and they could/would not price match that egg discount. They did come off of their price enough that it was cheaper than egg with tax and said I had 30 days to return it so I went for it. Tired of waiting, The fence was hurting my rear end.

Before anyone asks they went down to 1,550 plus shipping. I should have it Mon or Tues so I will be able to make some observations as well. I have 4 pairs of UltrClears so I will be able to comment on those as well. Any questions about tiger price match or policy please call them as I have pretty much told you what I know. They said the egg price with promo code was below their cost.

Mike, I am happy for you. So you still have your 8350? Looking forward to your comments. Also looking forward to your comments on 3D as compared to your current DLP.

Congrats man, I know you must be excited
post #1095 of 4744 Old 01-19-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:

Nice dude. You are going to be stoked. I am blown away every night I use my projector. We need to put our heads together and figure out some good calibration settings. I tend to think that movie is better than dark cinema, despite what Art says in his projector review of the Acer. For everthing else I use Auto, and the Eco mode, Iris on middle and Brilliant Color on.
post #1096 of 4744 Old 01-19-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCKCHILLOUT View Post

Nice dude. You are going to be stoked. I am blown away every night I use my projector. We need to put our heads together and figure out some good calibration settings. I tend to think that movie is better than dark cinema, despite what Art says in his projector review of the Acer. For everthing else I use Auto, and the Eco mode, Iris on middle and Brilliant Color on.

I would encourage you to look at some of the settings Kraine posted as well. Like Kraine, I noticed lots of digital noise when Brilliant Color was enabled with certain content.

But hey, eveyone's different.
post #1097 of 4744 Old 01-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I am in the same boat. I have $600 amazon credit waiting to spend
The Egg 10% off is good till 1/25. Hopefully amazon would come down soon.
post #1098 of 4744 Old 01-19-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mike, I am happy for you. So you still have your 8350? Looking forward to your comments. Also looking forward to your comments on 3D as compared to your current DLP.

Congrats man, I know you must be excited

Yeah, still have the 8350, the playoffs are this weekend lol. Gotta watch that big screen. You can be sure I will be comparing the two. I will especially be looking at the sharpness and reported blurring of HDMI issue. Of course that Casino Royale train scene is going to get some heavy scrutiny. And yes, I am like a kid waiting for xmas because it was supposed to be my present to myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCKCHILLOUT View Post

Thanks Chuck and I am already stoked. I will for sure try kraine's settings as well as messing with the iris in the service menu. I will also be doing some playing with grayscale and calibration using my AVR and will post if it makes any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

Hopefully amazon would come down soon.

I am a Prime member and would have one here tomorrow for $3 shipping but Amazon does not even have it. Got tired of waiting. Who knows when they will get it and then what the price will be?
post #1099 of 4744 Old 01-19-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:

I would encourage you to look at some of the settings Kraine posted as well. Like Kraine, I noticed lots of digital noise when Brilliant Color was enabled with certain content.

But hey, eveyone's different.

I have tried those settings, but I'm not sure I have the user settings correct. Are they all at 120 and green at 134? If I could get those I will try it again.

I did notice some of the digital noise when watching "The Aviator" the other night, but for the most part it I haven't needed to turn it off.
post #1100 of 4744 Old 01-19-2012, 11:48 AM

Has anyone played with the iris settings in the service menu? Just wondering if anyone has some information on what each setting might do and what are the ramifications of adjusting them.
post #1101 of 4744 Old 01-19-2012, 12:15 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post

Has anyone played with the iris settings in the service menu? Just wondering if anyone has some information on what each setting might do and what are the ramifications of adjusting them.

My understanding is the on/off for cut in high and low. You can widen the range the iris work's and how deep it goe's. You get too wide or too deep and you will start to see it pump/adjust while watching a movie.
post #1102 of 4744 Old 01-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Those who own the Acer:
I have a question. What would be the biggest screen size in 3D, with around 14 ftl? Is there any torch mode on the Acer that we can turn on in 3D?

Manoj
post #1103 of 4744 Old 01-19-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post

With this lack of greyscale adjustments there is a close solution to 6500k in the factory preset.

You might try this preset :

User mode
then choose the pink item on the second line here :

The color temp is 6590K with color temp to 1
Degamma 2
swith the BC off
Lamp low
For the CIE
put the saturation to 58
and on the CMS green 134

Unless I'm missing something here, there is no other numbers for "CMS". It has been my experience that user tends to vary when using my PS3, from game to desktop to blu-ray, so unless my missing something "User" is not just one particular setting, or there is no default user. If there is I would like to know, so we are using the same settings.
post #1104 of 4744 Old 01-19-2012, 04:34 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

I am a Prime member and would have one here tomorrow for $3 shipping but Amazon does not even have it. Got tired of waiting. Who knows when they will get it and then what the price will be?

In my opinion its being done on purpose as Acer and Amazon do not want to take any projectors back. That is the reason for 1-2 months in stock delay because they really don't want to sell any.
You can buy it from only two other vendors, both with horrible return policies.
post #1105 of 4744 Old 01-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

In my opinion its being done on purpose as Acer and Amazon do not want to take any projectors back. That is the reason for 1-2 months in stock delay because they really don't want to sell any.

Huh?

Can't have my Acer 9500 back, have to pry it from my cold dead hands!
post #1106 of 4744 Old 01-19-2012, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

You can buy it from only two other vendors, both with horrible return policies.

Not sure what you are saying but Tiger said they would take it back for refund today when I ordered it. Egg, forget about it. You saying Acer just wants to dump these on the market with known problems?
post #1107 of 4744 Old 01-19-2012, 07:16 PM

9500 is in stock at amazon, i dont see where it says it has no stock
post #1108 of 4744 Old 01-19-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

9500 is in stock at amazon, i dont see where it says it has no stock

Sold through Tiger or Circuit City. Have a look man. Amazon itself say 1-2 months.
post #1109 of 4744 Old 01-19-2012, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

I went ahead and pulled the trigger and figure I can resell it pretty easily without losing a ton if I don't like it.

Really looking forward to your review. Mine will be here on Monday. Let me know if it is worth opening or just sending it back.
post #1110 of 4744 Old 01-20-2012, 02:59 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Not sure what you are saying but Tiger said they would take it back for refund today when I ordered it. Egg, forget about it. You saying Acer just wants to dump these on the market with known problems?

Tiger/Comp charge a 15% restocking fee plus tax for many residents.
Of course things can change instantly in the marketplace and here it has at Newegg. The risk is now acceptable compared to the reward, with free three day shipping.

All things considered the Acer seems to be the safest choice, least flawed 3D projector, now at a bargain price with a comfortable pair of 3D glasses thrown in. Kraine/audiovidiohd.fr/Gregory Walter deserve special mention in their accurate evaluation of 3D projectors (Projector Central and AV Science have still not covered the 9500).
At the other end the British AVforum rates severe levels of ghosting as "reference quality". Go figure...

Timing is Everything
-------------------
The accurate, low cost, built-in DLP Link 3D standard is enabled on the 9500. The DLP chip sends a flash of light during the transition between Left and Right images,the glasses recognize this signal and sync to the image. DLP Link glasses do NOT require the typical 3D IR emitter.

"Because the DLP imaging chip is so fast, it is able to project two images on the screen at one time to create the 3D image viewed through the active glasses. But, in addition to the two images on the screen, the DLP chip also sends additional data to the screen (as a brief, white flash) to the glasses in-between each frame of video. This is how the projector communicates with the DLP link enabled active glasses. This ingenious transmission technique makes data emitters obsolete and eliminates the need to install and position emitters. This saves you time and money and makes setup of a 3D Ready DLP projector quick and easy."

This simplified and precise timing method can ensure that ghosting is kept at zero, as the Acer does indeed do. Or what the Mitsubishi 7800 does NOT do (new, rushed technology is often risky). As they say, timing in 3D is literally everything!

http://www.dlp.com/projector/dlp-inn.../dlp-link.aspx
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Projectors , Acer H9500bd 3d 1080p Home Theater Projector , Optoma Kt4348 3d Ready Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread - Kt4348 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page