Forum Jump: 

post #1501 of 4744 Old 02-07-2012, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

I hope it does not happen again though it has not happened to me. I am becoming somewhat concerned about the lack of availability of this unit. Hopefully there is a logical reason for this and not a production halt. Way back when Acer rep reported they should be available on Amazon again but for some reason nothing. It has been well over a month.

As for the SBS tearing mine did it on my son's Xbox in a game. I have watched SBS from my cable provider with zero issues. I have tried nothing from the PC to date. I really need to try that so I know and can provide Acer with some feedback as I already have some to provide them with concerning other things.

Probably we and Projector Central provided constructive feedback to Acer for which they are correcting. Notice PC still have not published their 9500 review. They can't because the technical loose-ends are being corrected. BenQ see, BenQ do?

I saw Yogi Bear on my dinky Sharp 70" and it looked awesome. I liked the caterpillar Yogi tried to eat. Several Warner 3D discs are only $20 at Best Buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 4744 Old 02-07-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
[quote=HiFiFun;21612202]Probably we and Projector Central provided constructive feedback to Acer for which they are correcting. Notice PC still have not published their 9500 review. They can't because the technical loose-ends are being corrected. BenQ see, BenQ do?

QUOTE]I hope you are right.

In the mean time to spice the thread up some, pictures are always good, even though mine are not the best, I have some. Not screen shots but how I mounted my 9500 using an old tripod and how I was able to keep my ceiling fan after removing the light kit and raising it up some. It should give some folks an idea of how the offset works and the shift ability. My 9500 is mounted about 3" to the right of center so minimal lens shift there and absolutely zero vertical shift. I need to drop my screen about a half inch for the fan but for now it does not bother me enough. It is so minimal as to not be a bother, for now.

Here is how I compared it to my 8350:

And this is what it looks like from behind. Apologies for the poor photography but it is what it is. I have to work around a column that encloses a pole and I enclosed that as decoratively as I could so minor lens shift to the left and keeping the screen centered to most of the viewing area.

The above image shows my 61" Samsung LED DLP TV with Happy Days on grrrr but that is what the wife wanted to watch so I took pics of things. Anybody wondering why the PJ is not on? Anyways, I was trying to show how the tolerances work out for me. My top of my screen starts about 9" below the ceiling tiles there and you can see I have the 9500 as close as it gets to the ceiling for the offset. I can barely see fan blades at the top of a full screen pic.

Now as to this tipod mount, it was stupid easy for me using stuff I had laying around. Old broken tripod, plexiglass and scrap wood. I even had a lot of the hardware so I estimate I have $15 in new hardware to mount the PJ and most of that was replacing tripod knobs that were too big or long. Have a look and no mention of code violations because I would rather have surge protection than worry about something that is far less likely to happen.

Stand by, I almost lost the entire post due to explorer not responding so will post what I have and edit after recovery. OK here is hopefully the rest:

and
Obviously there is much to do. The ceiling is much darker than the pictures illustrate and I am going after trim and walls next. Anyone who has any questions fire away.
post #1503 of 4744 Old 02-07-2012, 06:03 PM

Liked: 14
[quote=Mikes2cents;21612596]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

Probably we and Projector Central provided constructive feedback to Acer for which they are correcting. Notice PC still have not published their 9500 review. They can't because the technical loose-ends are being corrected. BenQ see, BenQ do?

QUOTE]I hope you are right.

In the mean time to spice the thread up some, pictures are always good, even though mine are not the best, I have some. Not screen shots but how I mounted my 9500 using an old tripod and how I was able to keep my ceiling fan after removing the light kit and raising it up some. It should give some folks an idea of how the offset works and the shift ability. My 9500 is mounted about 3" to the right of center so minimal lens shift there and absolutely zero vertical shift. I need to drop my screen about a half inch for the fan but for now it does not bother me enough. It is so minimal as to not be a bother, for now.

Here is how I compared it to my 8350:

And this is what it looks like from behind. Apologies for the poor photography but it is what it is. I have to work around a column that encloses a pole and I enclosed that as decoratively as I could so minor lens shift to the left and keeping the screen centered to most of the viewing area.

The above image shows my 61" Samsung LED DLP TV with Happy Days on grrrr but that is what the wife wanted to watch so I took pics of things. Anybody wondering why the PJ is not on? Anyways, I was trying to show how the tolerances work out for me. My top of my screen starts about 9" below the ceiling tiles there and you can see I have the 9500 as close as it gets to the ceiling for the offset. I can barely see fan blades at the top of a full screen pic.

Now as to this tipod mount, it was stupid easy for me using stuff I had laying around. Old broken tripod, plexiglass and scrap wood. I even had a lot of the hardware so I estimate I have $15 in new hardware to mount the PJ and most of that was replacing tripod knobs that were too big or long. Have a look and no mention of code violations because I would rather have surge protection than worry about something that is far less likely to happen.

Stand by, I almost lost the entire post due to explorer not responding so will post what I have and edit after recovery. OK here is hopefully the rest:

and
Obviously there is much to do. The ceiling is much darker than the pictures illustrate and I am going after trim and walls next. Anyone who has any questions fire away.

Nice pics and great job on the tripod/mount. One question - are you really watching Happy Days on a 120 inch screen?
post #1504 of 4744 Old 02-07-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Last night while watching a TV show (projector had been running for about 2 hours) the PJ just stopped working. The strange thing is there were no lights flashing and no warnings of any kind. The red power light was not even on. Waited about 5 minutes and then tried to power the projector on and nothing. I then unplugged the power cord on the back of the projector and plugged it back in and the red power indicator light was lit up and the projector turned on and ran fine for another 2 hours.

Strange. Not concerned yet, but will be if this keeps happening.

I don't want to make everyone worry - but this happened to me as well. My wife and I were watching a movie and it just shut down, like someone yanked the power cord. Now in my case, I was able to get it to turn on by unplugging the cord from the wall (connected via power strip) and I never touched the connection of the power cord to the projector. I am almost 100% positive that it wasn't the power cord shaking loose.

I have well 80 hours and this happened only once. It also happened on a much cooler day and I was watching in much higher temperatures for longer on another day so I don't think it is heat related. My projector is sitting upside down on a shelf so I couldn't observe the indicator lights.

Time will tell, hope there isn't some strange issue going on.
post #1505 of 4744 Old 02-07-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

Guessing your son's PC is not in the house, thinking if it was be easier to just move it for a short time to test then removing the card.
The GT430 card has HDMI out, 3D capable with HD sound through hdmi and is pretty cheap at $40-$60. Maybe you have other reason's for wanting another GTX460 though.

Sorry for the delayed response Mopar. I can actually enable what I need on my PC now but have been too busy/lazy. What with company and work I need to dig around for some cabling because my PC can do what I need with hybrid video and the 9800GT. I know because it is all mine and my older configuration lol. I suppose it was just not enough of a priority but I will make it so in the next few days. Junior is probably going to inherit my video card and I will move on. Such is life.
post #1506 of 4744 Old 02-07-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=joepaiii;21612861]
Quote:

Nice pics and great job on the tripod/mount. One question - are you really watching Happy Days on a 120 inch screen?

Absolutely not. Surely you cannot confuse my DLP TV for a 120" screen. I usually run her off to her 32" screen private viewing area for her crap but I had pics to take and things to do so that is what she put on my 61" screen. She was happy and so am I.
post #1507 of 4744 Old 02-07-2012, 06:29 PM

Liked: 10
Hello AV guys ! I'm having a nasty annoying flickering in ECO mode on my Acer.It is the same with the previous one which I replaced .The first one had some power supply/randomly switching off/ issues so Acer decided to send me another new one. Is there anyone else with the same problem ? On Full power mode the flickering is not noticeable. I have laptop and PS3 connected to the PJ and the problem is with both sources. I've tried with different power outlets and cables , but it didn't help. I'll appreciate any hel. 10x
post #1508 of 4744 Old 02-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

i am wondering does this mount works this projector " h9500bd"?

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Univ...pr_product_top
post #1509 of 4744 Old 02-07-2012, 06:33 PM

[quote=Mikes2cents;21612927]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post

Absolutely not. Surely you cannot confuse my DLP TV for a 120" screen. I usually run her off to her 32" screen private viewing area for her crap but I had pics to take and things to do so that is what she put on my 61" screen. She was happy and so am I.

Now I see why it looked like a 60 foot throw! Of course when I go back and look it makes more sense...
post #1510 of 4744 Old 02-07-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfor View Post

Hello AV guys ! I'm having a nasty annoying flickering in ECO mode on my Acer.It is the same with the previous one which I replaced .The first one had some power supply/randomly switching off/ issues so Acer decided to send me another new one. Is there anyone else with the same problem ? On Full power mode the flickering is not noticeable. I have laptop and PS3 connected to the PJ and the problem is with both sources. I've tried with different power outlets and cables , but it didn't help. I'll appreciate any hel. 10x

I have never noticed any flickering. How hard is it to spot? Is it really blatant or very subtle, only occurring in certain situations? Have you had previous projectors? What type of random switching off issue were you seeing?
post #1511 of 4744 Old 02-07-2012, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have only looked at the Acer on full power shortly because it is plenty bright on Eco. I have not seen your issue thank goodness. You may have a source or cable problem. This has not been observed in Eco mode here at all. Just my experience and I have some hours now.
post #1512 of 4744 Old 02-07-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:

I have only looked at the Acer on full power shortly because it is plenty bright on Eco. I have not seen your issue thank goodness. You may have a source or cable problem. This has not been observed in Eco mode here at all. Just my experience and I have some hours now.

Thank for the fast answer! Are you using the dust filter ? Tha manual says that if the filter is in , you have to switch to High attitude mode , which makes it extremely noisy. I am not using it of course.10x
post #1513 of 4744 Old 02-07-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank for the fast answer! Are you using the dust filter ? Tha manual says that if the filter is in , you have to switch to High attitude mode , which makes it extremely noisy. I am not using it of course.10x

No dust filter here. Right out of the box and running. Not sure what the dust filter could be for as most DLP light paths are supposed to be sealed.
post #1514 of 4744 Old 02-07-2012, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

Have not seen any flickering on mine, run it in eco mode..
post #1515 of 4744 Old 02-08-2012, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megabadd View Post

Ack, I've read through hundreds of pages of threads on this forum and I think I've finally decided on the H9500BD; however, I still do not 100% understand the SBS tearing issue despite having read through this entire thread.

So, as far as I can gather, progressive SBS content will tear no matter what the source. Is that true? I would like to rip 3D SBS media to my WD Live TV Hub and just play it using that, but that content will tear because the Hub cannot do the BD's original framepacking. I would rather have all my content in one place instead of using discs, but it seems like I will have to use discs to avoid the problem?

I also wanted to play some 3D PC games using my AMD video card. I read that one user said that he had problems with games 1080p 3D, but that playing in 720p was fine. Is that typical?

Playing in 720p framepacking works fine but progressive SBS is still an issue for me. Actually is a little worsenwith the replacement unit they sent me. I will likely send this one back again to see if they can fix it.
post #1516 of 4744 Old 02-08-2012, 09:08 AM

Hey guys just a heads up. Im going to post my on the classifieds , just go a nice black diamond zero 2:35.1 , going to the panasonic ae7000. Have 4 pairs of glasses too. 50 hours on bulb.
post #1517 of 4744 Old 02-08-2012, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by megabadd View Post

So, as far as I can gather, progressive SBS content will tear no matter what the source. Is that true? I would like to rip 3D SBS media to my WD Live TV Hub and just play it using that, but that content will tear because the Hub cannot do the BD's original framepacking. I would rather have all my content in one place instead of using discs, but it seems like I will have to use discs to avoid the problem?

That's what I've gathered from various forums. Progressive SBS (consoles/media players) will tear, interlaced SBS (broadcasters) will be fine.
post #1518 of 4744 Old 02-08-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post

He did a complete calibration on the sony including service menu adjustments. I learned alot. On the acer he just did it by eye. He spent about 20 minutes. I will take a picture of the settings. I have to write them down since they cant be saved as far as i know. He turned the iris off on both projectors i did turn them back on. He thought the acer was good for 2d considering the price. I was pretty sure he would be impressed with the 3d but i did not expect him to be blown away by its 3d performance. He has seen lots of 3d he told me.

Did this ever get posted? I was leaning towards trying the VIP/3DNow box on my projector to buy a little bit of time, but at this price point, I'm starting to think the Acer is the right direction to go. Lens shift is a must for me and I don't see anything like this projector at this price.

Please advise. And my thanks to Walternate for pointing out the lens shift feature.

Home Theater: Acer H9500BD 3D Projector, 120" Elite Screen, Sony BDP-S780 3D Blu-Ray Player, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround

Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" 3D DLP, Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-Ray Player, Harmon Kardon AVR 5.1, Polk Audio 5.1 Surround
post #1519 of 4744 Old 02-08-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

I have zero flickering on eco mode or normal power. Seems odd that two different projectors would do this. All I can think of adding would be a power conditioner since you already swapped cables.
post #1520 of 4744 Old 02-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayway812 View Post

Hey guys just a heads up. Im going to post my on the classifieds , just go a nice black diamond zero 2:35.1 , going to the panasonic ae7000. Have 4 pairs of glasses too. 50 hours on bulb.

Why not keep it for and the cost difference get a used Panamorph UH380 Anamorphic Lens. That's my set up and its awesome...
post #1521 of 4744 Old 02-08-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

I pulled out the lamp assembly and saw two 80cm fans inside. On my sample the fans were very quiet. Perhaps too quiet as the projector had fans lock/overheat failures. It would suddenly shut down. With a 280w lamp at high and rated at 445watts, the 9500 needs ample airflow.

Outbreak
--------
I was the first to document this sudden power failure an now there are two-three more reports. Projector Central maybe too?
post #1522 of 4744 Old 02-08-2012, 06:07 PM

The Projector Central review has posted and gives the H9500BD moderate praise at best.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/acer...tor_review.htm
post #1523 of 4744 Old 02-08-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post

And my thanks to Walternate for pointing out the lens shift feature.

Word of advice, the lens shift on the 9500 is not very robust. Plan to get one or the other as close as possible and use as little shift as you can for the other. I have posted about these measurements previously for my setup and 120" screen. In other words do not plan to mount this PJ at the limits of the shift because the manual is a guide and did not quite match my expected measurements though my use of shift is nowhere near the limit anyways so it works for me.
post #1524 of 4744 Old 02-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post

Did this ever get posted? I was leaning towards trying the VIP/3DNow box on my projector to buy a little bit of time, but at this price point, I'm starting to think the Acer is the right direction to go. Lens shift is a must for me and I don't see anything like this projector at this price.

Please advise. And my thanks to Walternate for pointing out the lens shift feature.

Don't bank a lot on the lens shift to help with placement, it really isn't much so make sure you properly plan.
post #1525 of 4744 Old 02-08-2012, 07:37 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHT View Post

The Projector Central review has posted and gives the H9500BD moderate praise at best.

I believe they are the only reviewer to mention the H9500bd as having crosstalk. They also post no pictures of such so I question what they are seeing. People on these forums are able to catch in a photo when displays have ghosting/crosstalk so I think a professional reviewer should post photo's as well.
post #1526 of 4744 Old 02-08-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHT View Post

Sounds like they had a bad unit to me. They basically said the 3d was horrible, totally the opposite of what most here have experienced. They used the words looking through a smog. That is about the farthest from what I would say 3d is like on my unit. Even complained about how loud it is which I can't really believe either. It is only loud in high altitude mode.

In short, their review doesn't really sync with anyone elses, from Art's, to Kraines, to all those who have posted here, and to my own experiences. I wouldn't put to much weighting on their verdict.
post #1527 of 4744 Old 02-08-2012, 07:48 PM

My initial impression is I don't like this new reviewer Marc Davidson's logic or findings. Something ain't right!

PC and Home Theater Magazine don't want people to like inexpensive 1080 projectors. Wess all need to spend $3K/year.

No mention of the technical issues they were having.
post #1528 of 4744 Old 02-08-2012, 08:07 PM

I was waiting quite a while to read that review. That just seemed like a biased pile of crap. I'm pretty sure that many of his numbers are lower than Art's on Projector reviews, but in many respects he copied and pasted some of the exact same sentiments.

Well, I have no regrets. Among the Optoma HD33(HD3300), Epson 3010 and Acer 9500, I'll take the one with the best contrast ratio, 3D performance, and 3D glasses. No pictures whatsoever and the fact that he didn't even name one 3D movie he watched, then went on to say 3d was way too dim; how the 2d-3d was terrible when many of us agree it is excellent, owners and outsiders alike. Very disappointing, it seems like with anything greed runs the world and clouds people's opinions. Even Art copied and pasted his epson 3010 review for the end of the Acer review and never actually finished it.

PS

Please let Bill Livolsi review.
post #1529 of 4744 Old 02-08-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Lol. That review is totally at odds with everything we have seen and read. I have not tried the other units in the "shootout" but I do have an 8350 which supposedly is better than the 3010 from reviews in 2D. My 9500 clobbers the 8350 in 2D IQ. That review is pretty much dismissed now as they made no comment about what the technical issues were. Also, Art's review pretty much pointed out some issues with the unit but he never waited or contacted the manufacturer for a fix like he does with his favorite sponsors. Take all of that with the grain of salt it is worth. Foggy 3D picture in 3d lol. Maybe they should not smoke crack while reviewing 3D movies. Better yet maybe invert the signal or put the glasses on. Seriously, any owner seen a foggy 3D picture? I have not seen a single owner post mention this. WTH is he talking about? Review dismissed as user not able to use unit properly.

Edit: his screen size limitations are total rubbish as well since I watch a 120" 3D image with no problems and no fog. I don't even have to go batcave for that but obviously it is better when lights are dim. Also his comments about shadow detail and noise indicate that he did not turn off brilliant color and test. We all know what that does to IQ and have known this for some time. At this point I would have to say this is not a good review because the tester/reviewer did not actually know what the unit can do and test the unit with certain features on and off. Actually a lame review that did not attempt to get the most out of the PJ. Kudos to Kraine.
post #1530 of 4744 Old 02-08-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

Lol. That review is totally at odds with everything we have seen and read. I have not tried the other units in the "shootout" but I do have an 8350 which supposedly is better than the 3010 from reviews in 2D. My 9500 clobbers the 8350 in 2D IQ. That review is pretty much dismissed now as they made no comment about what the technical issues were. Also, Art's review pretty much pointed out some issues with the unit but he never waited or contacted the manufacturer for a fix like he does with his favorite sponsors. Take all of that with the grain of salt it is worth. Foggy 3D picture in 3d lol. Maybe they should not smoke crack while reviewing 3D movies. Better yet maybe invert the signal or put the glasses on. Seriously, any owner seen a foggy 3D picture? I have not seen a single owner post mention this. WTH is he talking about? Review dismissed as user not able to use unit properly.

Edit: his screen size limitations are total rubbish as well since I watch a 120" 3D image with no problems and no fog. I don't even have to go batcave for that but obviously it is better when lights are dim. Also his comments about shadow detail and noise indicate that he did not turn off brilliant color and test. We all know what that does to IQ and have known this for some time.

As someone who owned an Epson 3010 for about a month, I honestly question if the reviewer even unbowed the 9500 and turned it on. Don't even know where to start. Crosstalk in 3D? Smog? Jitter? Something was either really wrong with his unit, or his configuration. Also, if someone is ├╝ber sensitive to rainbows, why even have them review a DLP projector? That makes no sense to me since the vast majority of people are not going to see rainbows.

And yeah, his size recommendations are rubbish. The 9500 sure looks great to me and others on a 125" screen with a 1.2 gain.

I just don't understand this review at all. At any rate, for folks considering this projector I strongly encourage you to read Kraine's review as his review is much more detailed and thorough, and accurate. ProjectorCentral has really lost credibility IMHO. I couldn't be happier with the Acer.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Projectors , Acer H9500bd 3d 1080p Home Theater Projector , Optoma Kt4348 3d Ready Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page