post #1891 of 4744 Old 03-06-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post

So, had the first shutdown after the early ones I described above. As usual, when I get more information, my opinion changes. This does seem to indicate a possible overheating issue. I have a new PJ arriving on Friday, but will to continue to test this one over the next week. If I see anything out of the ordinary, I'll let everyone know.

When you get a new device, it's always good to give it a good stress test (burn in). As I said earlier, a lot of failures occur in the first 6 months of a device's life. The sooner you get that out of the way, the better.

When I worked on temperature measurement devices, we put them in a 100 degree environment and kept them powered on for 48 hours before putting the production finishes on them. That was specific to the design (and on the high end of operating specs) of this particular device and was meant to weed out the problems which the consumers would experience without damaging the other components.

I should have the new projector on Saturday (3rd time's a charm?? ). If I continue to have problems with the longer HDMI cable, I'm going to relocate my blu ray player, connect using a shorter cable, run a 40-50' TOSLINK optical cable for audio, and use the hi-speed HDMI cable for my cable box (the standard cable works on my FIOS box, but I might as well use the better quality cable).

Barring shutdown issues, this next one it going to be a keeper. I told you that most of us don't really care about specs. We just want it to work.

If anyone wants to hire someone who has a lot of experience setting up a new Acer PJ, let me know.....

Home Theater: Acer H9500BD 3D Projector, 120" Elite Screen, Sony BDP-S780 3D Blu-Ray Player, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround

Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" 3D DLP, Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-Ray Player, Harmon Kardon AVR 5.1, Polk Audio 5.1 Surround
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 4744 Old 03-06-2012, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I have a Mitsu 73" in my living room and the Acer in my HT. The Mits holds up better in ambient light of my living room, but also gets washed out if it's really bright (direct sunlight). If you can control the light and have at least 15' from the back wall to the front, I'd go with the Acer and save a LOT of money (enough to go on a NICE vacation).

I frankly think the Acer has some quality control issues (with regard to reliability right out of the box), but there are clearly good ones out there. Once you clear that hurdle, you will be VERY impressed with the picture quality of the Acer. I have a 120" screen, sit about 13 feet away, have almost absolute control over the light, and it absolutely knocks your socks off. You can have lights on fairly low and still get a bright, sharp picture. Sunlight kills you.

Overall, my first impression is that the Acer has better picture quality, but that could be because I watch it in a much darker environment. Given that I'm not comparing apples to apples, I wouldn't put too much stock in my assessment. They both have a really, really nice picture.

Hey i really appreciate the response, thanx so much for your time and input. i am gonna make my decision by friday.
post #1893 of 4744 Old 03-06-2012, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdfrost View Post

Lag is a bit of an issue on the HD33, but much better than the H9500BD, certainly usable for games in a non-competitive fashion. It's a bit of a pain with movies, mkvs I can delay the audio using FFDshow, but no luck with blu rays yet, so I'm holding off watching any until I can find some kind of audio delay fix.

For optical or co-axial digital audio delays there's the 'Felston DD740 digital audio delay unit.' http://www.felston.com/dd740/
post #1894 of 4744 Old 03-06-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:

I've asked if anyone on the HD33 forum has fixes for the sharpness problem, ad have sent an email to Optoma support but no joy yet.
I think these companies are focussing on the quality of their movie picture, which is what most reviews focus on, and don't concider that people will just want to display a straightforward image.

Lag is a bit of an issue on the HD33, but much better than the H9500BD, certainly usable for games in a non-competitive fashion. It's a bit of a pain with movies, mkvs I can delay the audio using FFDshow, but no luck with blu rays yet, so I'm holding off watching any until I can find some kind of audio delay fix.

The biggest weak spot on the HD33 is probably the black levels, both the H9500BD and H5360 have given me better results so far, but I am still playing with it. What's odd is that I get pretty good blacks within the menu, but I can't get black from a source as dark as that without compromising everything else. It feels like the projector can do better than it's showing me, I'm hoping to iron it out once I get a bit more time available.

Realistically I'll probably keep it until the first 1080p60 projector appears and then jump ship immediately.

Hi Tom,
I'm getting close to pulling the cord on the BenQ 7000
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1398235

At least they did update the firmware. Price drop. I want to be a bit more certain of the 1:1 pixel mapping issue being resolved and the improved black levels first.
post #1895 of 4744 Old 03-06-2012, 04:17 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I've asked if anyone on the HD33 forum has fixes for the sharpness problem, ad have sent an email to Optoma support but no joy yet.
I think these companies are focussing on the quality of their movie picture, which is what most reviews focus on, and don't concider that people will just want to display a straightforward image.

The biggest weak spot on the HD33 is probably the black levels, both the H9500BD and H5360 have given me better results so far, but I am still playing with it. What's odd is that I get pretty good blacks within the menu, but I can't get black from a source as dark as that without compromising everything else. It feels like the projector can do better than it's showing me, I'm hoping to iron it out once I get a bit more time available.

Realistically I'll probably keep it until the first 1080p60 projector appears and then jump ship immediately.

Just got back up and running in McMurdo. Projecting a 100" screen, movies from Laptop running Windows 7 through a Pioneer VSX30 reciever. I Have both TMT 5 and Power DVD 11 for playback of movies from hard drives. My eyes are 9 feet from the screen when seated. I have no noticed lag running the mouse and icon on screen. Text looks very sharp and easily read. Now if I walk up to the screen I do see the shadow added to text but is in no way visible from my seated position.
Playing movies with Power DVD I have not had to add audio delay in 2D viewing. Have not had time to watch 3D yet. Playing too much Skyrim off the PS3 which again like Assassins Creed I notice no input lag, I know it is there but not noticed. When I start playing COD against others down here I will know more.
Plenty of people have stopped by the room when I leave the door open and screen is viewed from the hall commenting on how great the picture looks.

So far I am very pleased with this projector. Has flaws for sure, but a blanket statement of not good for PC user's is pretty bold and in my case false. I use a laptop and game consoles 100% of it's use.

Cheers,

Josh
post #1896 of 4744 Old 03-06-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd7723 View Post

Hey i really appreciate the response, thanx so much for your time and input. i am gonna make my decision by friday.

Hey, no problem. Others on these forums have helped me out immensely. Just one other thing.....The minimum 15' dimension from the back to the front of the room assumes a 120" screen. With a 110 or 100" screen, you can have a smaller room.

My experience tells me that the difference between 120" and 92" is pretty dramatic (my friend has an 82" Mits"); especially for 3D. Honestly, if you can make it work, I'd save the dough and go for the projector. It's a little more work, but, I think, worth it.

If you're really willing to spend more money, you might want to do a search on "Ultimate 3D" on the the AVS forum. There's some more higher end passive 3D stuff going on which would involve a silver screen, filters, dual projectors (dual 2D projectors can give you a passive 3D image), etc. which works really (and I mean really) well. If you read the thread, you will learn a LOT. For 2D projection, you can get a standard 1.0/.1/.2 gain screen which you can pull down in front of the silver screen as hot spots are a problem with these higher gain screens for 2D.

If your budget permits, this might be the way for you to go. It's substantially more work, but, long term, it might be well worth it. If I were going to spend 4 or 5 grand, I would definitely go in that direction rather than the 92" Mits. Like I say though, it'll take some getting up to speed, planning, and tweaking. If that isn't your bag of tea, don't bother. I'm waiting for passive 3D to come down in price. The Acer is a bridge for me until that time comes.

Hope all works out well for you.

Home Theater: Acer H9500BD 3D Projector, 120" Elite Screen, Sony BDP-S780 3D Blu-Ray Player, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround

Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" 3D DLP, Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-Ray Player, Harmon Kardon AVR 5.1, Polk Audio 5.1 Surround
post #1897 of 4744 Old 03-06-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

So far I am very pleased with this projector. Has flaws for sure, but a blanket statement of not good for PC user's is pretty bold and in my case false. I use a laptop and game consoles 100% of it's use.

Cheers,

Josh

Josh, glad you made it safe and sound and are up and running. I agree that the blurring is not as bad from normal viewing position but if you throw up a desktop screen via VGA you can easily tell a difference even from viewing position. It is not a deal breaker for me but Acer is going to hear about it nonetheless. I should have already griped about this but to be honest I have not had the PJ on in a week or so what with work, crappy programming and painting the mancave. I plan to have the paint done by the weekend so I can settle in for some movie enjoyment.

Anyway, I encourage you to complain to Acer about the blurring/shadow so they fix it. Looks like BenQ may finally be getting a handle on this but only one owner saying so and not sure how exhaustive that test was.

Let me see if I can put this another way. Run VGA or equivalent to your 9500 and observe the difference between that and the HDMI inputs. If you are satisfied then fine. Even if you are satisfied but note a difference, as a registered owner I encourage you to complain to Acer about every problem you have so that they will fix it. Squeaky wheel gets the oil my friend even if you have no interest in a FW update or repair. Thanks. Us consumers have to stick together for the benefit of all of us. I have no intention of sending mine back unless they promise a repair because it does most everything I want it to do just like I expected it to. Lucky for me I still have my Epson if I need to send in the Acer.

I have to end with my (new) standard disclaimer now lest I be misunderstood. My 9500 is not without some faults, like seemingly every other 1080P 3D DLP in this crop. For the price and the performance and what I use it for it meets my needs and exceeds it in some areas. I chose this one and plan to keep it so now I want Acer to finish polishing the unit.

Cheers.
post #1898 of 4744 Old 03-06-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Hey, no problem. Others on these forums have helped me out immensely. Just one other thing.....The minimum 15' dimension from the back to the front of the room assumes a 120" screen. With a 110 or 100" screen, you can have a smaller room.

My experience tells me that the difference between 120" and 92" is pretty dramatic (my friend has an 82" Mits"); especially for 3D. Honestly, if you can make it work, I'd save the dough and go for the projector. It's a little more work, but, I think, worth it.

If you're really willing to spend more money, you might want to do a search on "Ultimate 3D" on the the AVS forum. There's some more higher end passive 3D stuff going on which would involve a silver screen, filters, dual projectors (dual 2D projectors can give you a passive 3D image), etc. which works really (and I mean really) well. If you read the thread, you will learn a LOT. For 2D projection, you can get a standard 1.0/.1/.2 gain screen which you can pull down in front of the silver screen as hot spots are a problem with these higher gain screens for 2D.

If your budget permits, this might be the way for you to go. It's substantially more work, but, long term, it might be well worth it. If I were going to spend 4 or 5 grand, I would definitely go in that direction rather than the 92" Mits. Like I say though, it'll take some getting up to speed, planning, and tweaking. If that isn't your bag of tea, don't bother. I'm waiting for passive 3D to come down in price. The Acer is a bridge for me until that time comes.

Hope all works out well for you.

Thanks again inacli, i think i might go the p.j route.
post #1899 of 4744 Old 03-06-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks again inacli, i think i might go the p.j route.

Sure. No problem. Coderguy has a url at the bottom of his posts which I found very helpful when it comes to setting up the Acer PJ. The middle of my ceiling mounted projector lens is 3" above the top of the viewable area of the screen, 7" to the left of center and about 13.5' away from the screen. The shift and zoom accommodates this, but just not by a whole lot. If you move the projector back, it will give you a little more cushion. That's why I put the 15' front to back of room dimension as a minimum in my earlier post. I found Coderguy's url to be pretty much spot on.

You will be pleased with the picture quality in your light controlled room.

Best.

post #1900 of 4744 Old 03-06-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:

Sure. No problem. Coderguy has a url at the bottom of his posts which I found very helpful when it comes to setting up the Acer PJ. The middle of my ceiling mounted projector lens is 3" above the top of the viewable area of the screen, 7" to the left of center and about 13.5' away from the screen. The shift and zoom accommodates this, but just not by a whole lot. If you move the projector back, it will give you a little more cushion. That's why I put the 15' front to back of room dimension as a minimum in my earlier post. I found Coderguy's url to be pretty much spot on.

You will be pleased with the picture quality in your light controlled room.

Best.

will do thnx
post #1901 of 4744 Old 03-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Got my 9500 from newegg today. The box had already been opened and the security tape was cut. Unfortunately, my company has a high volume mailroom and there was really no way for me to inspect it (or refuse delivery) before the package made its way to my office.

The projector seems like it was never removed from the carrying bag and the lamp counter said zero. However, the power cord was missing.

I took a 50 dollar gift card from newegg to keep it instead of returning. That is good enough for me as I spend a lot every year with them, so same as cash to me. It uses a normal 3 blade power cord and I happened to have one lying around to power it up.

Have only had about an hour to play with it but a few quick observations:

- extremely sharp pic on movies and the menus - you would really have to be picky to have an issue with the sharpness (I have not yet tried it on desktop text or for htpc use)

- very bright, even on eco mode - brighter than I though it would be - i set up my old panny ax200, which is a bright projector and has 200 hours on the bulb, next to it and the acer was materially brighter even taking into account the acer's new bulb

- fan noise is not an issue in eco - it is not silent but certainly not objectionable; it's a low constant wooshing - and this is from someone who is pretty easily distracted by fan noise

- no color wheel whine like I have had on some previous infocus screenplay 5700 and 7200 dlp projectors

- color seems very good to me - a lot of pop and not too over the top

- have not yet tried 3d as I use popcorn hours and they dont pass 3d, but I will try to borrow a 3d blu-ray player to test

- good news for my application is that the zoom seems a little better than advertised - i can get a 128 inch wide picture from about 15 feet 8 inches back

- black levels seem very good - i will probably just leave the iris on as I did not see much iris pumping

Edit: On an impulse buy, I also just bought an epson 5010 tonight to see which one I like better
post #1902 of 4744 Old 03-06-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecraze View Post

Got my 9500 from newegg today. The box had already been opened and the security tape was cut. Unfortunately, my company has a high volume mailroom and there was really no way for me to inspect it (or refuse delivery) before the package made its way to my office.

The projector seems like it was never removed from the carrying bag and the lamp counter said zero. However, the power cord was missing.

I took a 50 dollar gift card from newegg to keep it instead of returning. That is good enough for me as I spend a lot every year with them, so same as cash to me. It uses a normal 3 blade power cord and I happened to have one lying around to power it up.

Have only had about an hour to play with it but a few quick observations:

- extremely sharp pic on movies and the menus - you would really have to be picky to have an issue with the sharpness (I have not yet tried it on desktop text or for htpc use)

- very bright, even on eco mode - brighter than I though it would be - i set up my old panny ax200, which is a bright projector and has 200 hours on the bulb, next to it and the acer was materially brighter even taking into account the acer's new bulb

- fan noise is not an issue in eco - it is not silent but certainly not objectionable; it's a low constant wooshing - and this is from someone who is pretty easily distracted by fan noise

- no color wheel whine like I have had on some previous infocus screenplay 5700 and 7200 dlp projectors

- color seems very good to me - a lot of pop and not too over the top

- have not yet tried 3d as I use popcorn hours and they dont pass 3d, but I will try to borrow a 3d blu-ray player to test

- good news for my application is that the zoom seems a little better than advertised - i can get a 128 inch wide picture from about 15 feet 8 inches back

- black levels seem very good - i will probably just leave the iris on as I did not see much iris pumping

I agree with your assessment and found some marginal improvement when I used the settings suggested by an earlier review. I also had an open box and was missing the glasses and the power cord. The power cord is a standard issue power cord and I only have about a gazillion of them. Acer told me they would send me one of each. They sent the power cord already and I'll get the glasses when they have them in stock....sucks.

Be glad you have the glasses. Hard to understand why someone would take a $1.50 power cord and leave a $80 (or so) pair of glasses which are hard to find. S/he obviously wasn't a 3D enthusiast......

post #1903 of 4744 Old 03-06-2012, 08:47 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. The pc game market has been marginalized by the consoles on one side and mobile gaming (iOS and android) on the other. Factor in the incredibly small percentage of pc gamers that are trying to run on a 3d projector, well you get the point.

While I totally would agree if a brand new PJ had to be develope, that is not the case.....all the manufacturers would need to do is simply give us a working dual link DVI connector....the existing HW should be able to handle it just fine.

And in regards to sales...look at how well the H5360 has done (1st 720p 3D Vision certified PJ). Its still highly recommended after nearly three years
post #1904 of 4744 Old 03-06-2012, 09:35 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by miahallen View Post

While I totally would agree if a brand new PJ had to be develope, that is not the case.....all the manufacturers would need to do is simply give us a working dual link DVI connector....the existing HW should be able to handle it just fine.

And in regards to sales...look at how well the H5360 has done (1st 720p 3D Vision certified PJ). Its still highly recommended after nearly three years

My point was that the pc gaming market is most likely not even on the product marketing teams radar for these projectors. PC gaming has changed dramatically in the last few years. How many pc only titles have come out recently? There haven't been many - starcraft 2 is the and some of the mmorpgs come to mind. The market has shifted to the consoles in a big way and for those applications the projectors seem to work in that the consoles don't output 1080p60 3d. If the consoles did then I would imagine the projectors would start supporting that resolution in 3d as well.
post #1905 of 4744 Old 03-06-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

Josh, glad you made it safe and sound and are up and running. I agree that the blurring is not as bad from normal viewing position but if you throw up a desktop screen via VGA you can easily tell a difference even from viewing position. It is not a deal breaker for me but Acer is going to hear about it nonetheless. I should have already griped about this but to be honest I have not had the PJ on in a week or so what with work, crappy programming and painting the mancave. I plan to have the paint done by the weekend so I can settle in for some movie enjoyment.

Anyway, I encourage you to complain to Acer about the blurring/shadow so they fix it. Looks like BenQ may finally be getting a handle on this but only one owner saying so and not sure how exhaustive that test was.

Let me see if I can put this another way. Run VGA or equivalent to your 9500 and observe the difference between that and the HDMI inputs. If you are satisfied then fine. Even if you are satisfied but note a difference, as a registered owner I encourage you to complain to Acer about every problem you have so that they will fix it. Squeaky wheel gets the oil my friend even if you have no interest in a FW update or repair. Thanks. Us consumers have to stick together for the benefit of all of us. I have no intention of sending mine back unless they promise a repair because it does most everything I want it to do just like I expected it to. Lucky for me I still have my Epson if I need to send in the Acer.

I have to end with my (new) standard disclaimer now lest I be misunderstood. My 9500 is not without some faults, like seemingly every other 1080P 3D DLP in this crop. For the price and the performance and what I use it for it meets my needs and exceeds it in some areas. I chose this one and plan to keep it so now I want Acer to finish polishing the unit.

Cheers.

Yeap made it safe and sound and so far the projector did too. Though the insured box came busted open at the edges and marked damaged. Contents inside looked ok though. Have to love APO mailing and or Antarctic Cargo handleing .
I agree, I posted quickly while on lunch break. I have no doubt of the difference between VGA and HDMI, Tom or someone posted pictures of the HDMI text and VGA text close up showing the difference. I do not have a VGA out on my laptop so unable to do a comparison from here. That said I bet I could see the same thing you and Tom see while close to the screen. From the seating position I may or may not and like you even if I did it wouldn't/isn't a deal breaker. I know working the laptop on its screen or from the projector I notice no real change accept much larger. So my point is still valid that to categorize this as not PC friendly is incorrect at least for my use and likely someone else. That said there are tradeoffs between projectors.

I also believe there are some quality issue's with some of these projectors. Because what some post are not experienced by all. Like for me I notice no input lag while navigating windows with a mouse. I also now have no audio sync issue's while in 2D playing from Power DVD 11. Granted 3D has not been tested used yet with Power DVD 11 down here, maybe this weekend. I did have to add audio delay while playing off TMT5 but that was a TMT5 issue and noted/known on that forum. I also played Assassin's Creed 3D without feeling the input lag, course we all know some is there but in a reasonable not noticed unless competitive timing games such as FPS. Which I will know if is an issue some time while down here with COD and Battlefield soon to happen dorm wide .
post #1906 of 4744 Old 03-06-2012, 09:57 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

My point was that the pc gaming market is most likely not even on the product marketing teams radar for these projectors. PC gaming has changed dramatically in the last few years. How many pc only titles have come out recently? There haven't been many - starcraft 2 is the and some of the mmorpgs come to mind. The market has shifted to the consoles in a big way and for those applications the projectors seem to work in that the consoles don't output 1080p60 3d. If the consoles did then I would imagine the projectors would start supporting that resolution in 3d as well.

The fact that Acer paid nVidia to have the H5360 3D Vision certified, and the fact that it is such a good selling PJ both disprove your statements
post #1907 of 4744 Old 03-07-2012, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

I know working the laptop on its screen or from the projector I notice no real change accept much larger. So my point is still valid that to categorize this as not PC friendly is incorrect at least for my use and likely someone else. That said there are tradeoffs between projectors.

I also believe there are some quality issue's with some of these projectors. Because what some post are not experienced by all. Like for me I notice no input lag while navigating windows with a mouse.

This may well be the case, I can only talk from my experiance of the 2 projectors I tried, both of which were exactly the same. As Mike said, the blurring issue is easily noticable from the seated position, getting close up just allows you to see exactly why it looks blurry. (on a 120' screen) If you only browse the web a bit it might not be a deal breaker, but I use it as my main monitor, for image editing and the like, and to not be able to see exactly what I was doing was a massive problem.

I can't speak for console games, but again, for me, gaming in 3D from a PC was simply impossible, a really big problem. I'm suprised you don't get the same from a console, but presumably you're using a game pad with that which doesn't highlight lag quite as much?

I could have been unlucky and got 2 broken projectors, but if not, it's best everyone is informed of what they could be getting themselves in to.

Edit - Josh, just reread your last post and see that you've not tried 3D yet, that was where the real lag issues came for me, so you may just not have hit them yet.
post #1908 of 4744 Old 03-07-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miahallen View Post

The fact that Acer paid nVidia to have the H5360 3D Vision certified, and the fact that it is such a good selling PJ both disprove your statements

When was that? I think someone mentioned 3 years ago. What has been the track record with the latest dlp projectors? Markets completely transform themselves in 3 years. I don't know that the performance of the h5360 has any bearing on my statement.

I love of gaming as much as anyone, my system is an i7 950 with a gtx470. But I don't connect it to a projector. For one bulbs don't last that long and they are expensive. My point in all this is that the number of people trying to play pc games with these 1080p 3d projectors is extremely small and probably isn't on the marketing radar. Now for cheap 720p projectors- I could see them being used by kids for consoles and even pcs which is where your 5360 fits in.
post #1909 of 4744 Old 03-07-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Somebody on this forum was buying glasses from Acer. Did you ever get them? I think there was a delay until the end of this month?

My glasses got lifted from my projector case (along with the power cord which I don't care about). I called Acer and they are going to send me a pair when they become available. Fortunately I have the replacement projector pair for the time being, but I may have to buy the Optoma glasses.

I'm on a live chat with Jyothula Swathi priya. I told him I wanted the ETA of the glasses and he asked me if he could ask me whether or not I received the part.....I think this may be the guy who wrote the User's Guide......

post #1910 of 4744 Old 03-07-2012, 08:15 AM

So I have had this unit since mid December though I have only started to use it in February. Have about 180 hrs on it and everything seems fine until last night as I was watching Star Wars episode III from my recently purchased blu ray complete saga. Had my first unexplained shut down... I have run this unit for several hours (8 hrs straight last weekend) before with no issue but last night about 2 hrs into the movie .... Black screen... Now I am concerned! ACER must address this ASAP!!!!!!
post #1911 of 4744 Old 03-07-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.I.P. View Post

So I have had this unit since mid December though I have only started to use it in February. Have about 180 hrs on it and everything seems fine until last night as I was watching Star Wars episode III from my recently purchased blu ray complete saga. Had my first unexplained shut down... I have run this unit for several hours (8 hrs straight last weekend) before with no issue but last night about 2 hrs into the movie .... Black screen... Now I am concerned! ACER must address this ASAP!!!!!!

Did you get any flashing lights? I've seen a couple different, but don't know what they mean. Solid Blue (power light) and flashing red light on front left of projector (looking up at ceiling mount). Flashing power light (blue and red....looks like purple). Don't know what they mean, but I'm sure it's some sort of overheating code.

I found that hitting the power button causes the PJ to come back on.

post #1912 of 4744 Old 03-07-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.I.P. View Post

I've just decided that I'm keeping my 1080p Sanyo as a backup and not selling it. Could have gotten about $400 for it.....bummer.....

post #1913 of 4744 Old 03-07-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:

Somebody on this forum was buying glasses from Acer. Did you ever get them? I think there was a delay until the end of this month?

My glasses got lifted from my projector case (along with the power cord which I don't care about). I called Acer and they are going to send me a pair when they become available. Fortunately I have the replacement projector pair for the time being, but I may have to buy the Optoma glasses.

I'm on a live chat with Jyothula Swathi priya. I told him I wanted the ETA of the glasses and he asked me if he could ask me whether or not I received the part.....I think this may be the guy who wrote the User's Guide......

No I have not gotten the glasses. The eta is now 3/23 although after I told off the local support person I am not sure if they are ever going to send them. I need to order the 101s and be done with it.
post #1914 of 4744 Old 03-07-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:

This may well be the case, I can only talk from my experiance of the 2 projectors I tried, both of which were exactly the same. As Mike said, the blurring issue is easily noticable from the seated position, getting close up just allows you to see exactly why it looks blurry. (on a 120' screen) If you only browse the web a bit it might not be a deal breaker, but I use it as my main monitor, for image editing and the like, and to not be able to see exactly what I was doing was a massive problem.

I can't speak for console games, but again, for me, gaming in 3D from a PC was simply impossible, a really big problem. I'm suprised you don't get the same from a console, but presumably you're using a game pad with that which doesn't highlight lag quite as much?

I could have been unlucky and got 2 broken projectors, but if not, it's best everyone is informed of what they could be getting themselves in to.

Edit - Josh, just reread your last post and see that you've not tried 3D yet, that was where the real lag issues came for me, so you may just not have hit them yet.

The last post was reffering to audio lag with 3D while running Power DVD 11. Before coming down I used TMT5 for all movies including 3D and the audio lag was a lot. I ran a few 3D titles for a short while last night with Power DVD 11 and the input lag is still there but less then when running TMT5. Reciever says 3FPS delay, not sure but guessing that means on a 24fps movie it is delaying the audio by 3. Running 2D movies I add no audio delay and stay's in sync.
Also while home I played Assassins Creed in 3D from the PS3 and the gaming was good. Not a game that input lag would be noticed unless the input lag was terrible, I noticed no real delay from control to screen. Now when playing FPS I have no intention of playing in 3D competitively against others, single player sure but not in linked combat mode against others. But may try it to see but I think the added lag will be noticed by a lot of deaths. And maybe that is what your after is playing 3D in competitive multi-player and I am not.
Also I should clarify I do not navigate windows in 3D mode but rather in 2D mode. The few short times I did navigate windows in 3D it was duable but wouldn't want to do it a lot. Again windows from 9ft at 100" is sharp, may try taking a picture of it when I have time, both close and seated position.
post #1915 of 4744 Old 03-07-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No I have not gotten the glasses. The eta is now 3/23 although after I told off the local support person I am not sure if they are ever going to send them. I need to order the 101s and be done with it.

I was told to call back in a couple of days in order to find out the status of the glasses. From what I could gather, the compartmentalization is such that I could get my glasses before you do or vice versa. Some wise person said something along the lines of "It's ridiculous that Acer doesn't have glasses". True enough, but understand that they may not make them; doesn't make up for poor planning though.

The projector has a great picture and is priced quite well. There's going to be a downside and I'm willing to deal with this one.

post #1916 of 4744 Old 03-07-2012, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I am considering the acer pj and the mitsu 92 inch dlp tv. Does anyone know in optimal conditions which would have the better picture quality. Thanks for any response.

I have a Mitsubishi 73" DLP and an Optoma HD66 projector. As someone else mentioned, the Mitsubishi will be much better if you want to have ambient light. But if you've got a man cave and you plan to watch a lot of 3D, I think you'd be better off with the Acer. (I'm drooling at the prospect of getting an Acer as a replacement for my Optoma.) The Mitsubishi rear projection sets always use wobulation to create the 3D image (checkerboard display). This technology creates a half-resolution 3D image for each eye, whereas the Acer would provide a full-resolution image for each eye.

I think the 3D picture on my 720P Optoma projector is obviously sharper and more detailed than the one on my 1080P Mitsubishi set. I suspect that one of the main reasons why is that the Mitsubishi image is wobulated whereas the Optoma is not.
post #1917 of 4744 Old 03-07-2012, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrh View Post

I think the 3D picture on my 720P Optoma projector is obviously sharper and more detailed than the one on my 1080P Mitsubishi set. I suspect that one of the main reasons why is that the Mitsubishi image is wobulated whereas the Optoma is not.

I hear what you are saying and have seen some of the same in the past with the Optoma GT720, but, and a big but, 720P looks like a$$ compared to 1080P on a 120" screen. I went back to the user guide for the 9500 and saw that 1080P is not supported via HDMI PC input. I know this is not a news flash but I know the problem resides right there. I also saw that 1080P is supported via DVI. Silly eh? I have to play with this some more but I am half way through repainting the mancave.

Also, I will be keeping my Epson 8350 just in case the Acer pukes which it seems to be doing from posts here, and I am not happy about that at all despite really liking my unit. Lucky for me, I have a fall back unit though mine is fine for now.
post #1918 of 4744 Old 03-08-2012, 05:14 AM

I have had two pair of glasses on order since mid-January and also had to return the glasses shipped with the projector after they failed. My several calls to ACER yielded much talk about "on order" and the like. It seems they may be in short supply for some reason. In the meanwhile I have purchsed two pair of Optoma ZD101 glasses, which are an excellent replacement.
post #1919 of 4744 Old 03-08-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHT View Post

I have had two pair of glasses on order since mid-January and also had to return the glasses shipped with the projector after they failed. My several calls to ACER yielded much talk about "on order" and the like. It seems they may be in short supply for some reason. In the meanwhile I have purchsed two pair of Optoma ZD101 glasses, which are an excellent replacement.

Poor planning and/or manufacturing strategy.....

As everyone has said the Optoma's work well, I'll buy a couple pair (unless someone has a better idea....won't pay $130 for the cool looking, black Acer glasses....that company ought to be selling Avatar 3D blu ray disks while they're at it).

Speaking of Avatar 3D, I'd like to find a website which would be alerted when it becomes generally available. Anyone hear anything??? I can't wait until those rip off artists on ebay don't have a market.......

post #1920 of 4744 Old 03-08-2012, 09:45 AM

I now have 808 hours on this baby. No issues so far. I should get well over 2000 hours before the one year warranty is up. I'll keep you guys updated.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Projectors , Acer H9500bd 3d 1080p Home Theater Projector , Optoma Kt4348 3d Ready Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page