post #181 of 4745 Old 11-23-2011, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmsp187 View Post

So is there only one forum member that owns this unit? It seems that besides the colors and limited grayscale calibration this should compete quite heavily with the HD33 and 3010. Hopefully more owners pop in and add their observations.

Well that may not happen anytime soon due to Art's review. While he appears to praise the unit, he talks it down too much. I feel it is time to review the review to put things in perspective. I understand the full writeup is not done and may never get done as I have seen in the past. Now let me say up front that I appreciate Art rushing his review to the press in time for the holiday.

In this rush we do not know how hard he worked with the PJ. He flat out said he did not look into the 2d to 3d conversion feature, no big deal as several BD players do that but c'mon, it is a feature the unit has and others do not at this price. More on this later.

Let me get to the bottom line here. We all know the warranty is what it is. After one year it works or it does not so skip that. Sure a Epson warranty is hard to beat. Moving on. Here is my favorite quote of the review:

"If you are the type that doesn't notice your LCDTV is a bit over the top in picture - "sunburned looking faces" lack of color detail, etc. as most LCDTVs are in their brighter modes (and the way people watch them), the Acer will fit right in (and look better). Just find a room, and screen."

Really, that is about 90% of the market in this price segment. Continuing this line of thought:

"Color accuracy could be better. Out of the box is very watchable, but you have limited ability to improve it further with a calibration due to the lack of othe color controls used for grayscale balancing. Realizing that most people buying a sub-$2000 projector are not going to calibrate, that probably doesn't concern them, as color is already pretty good, just a bit thin on red. "

Again this is about 90% or even higher in this segment, and for those who do choose to fool with calibration they usually ask what others are using and try it. This with minimal success as screens and conditions vary. Also here is another quote for you to consider carefully and do a self analysis:

"Bottom line, you can get more accurate color with some competitors. The question is, will owners care? If you are an enthusiast - probably. If you are the traditional "wife" or "friends" almost certainly not. Still, our job here, is give you perspective to consider the trade-offs and by the best projector for use by you and yours. If you are an enthusiast demanding accuracy, etc. this one probably isn't for you based on color."

This is not the best way to sum up the 9500 and will kill sales. Better summation would have been that out of the box this unit stacks up well vs the 3010 and 33/3300. Not if you are a girl or casual idiot it will be fine because you cannot adjust RBE for gray scale which about 95% of people will not do anyway.

Now if we want to go videophile area, nobody is buying units in this segment anyway so what is the point of calling out calibration capabilities? If you want this for 3d it will do just fine, and better than non DLP tech. Sure I will hear about that one.

My biggest problem with the review is that it somehow suggests that if you get this you are not an enthusiast or that this unit is not capable of being a home theater one. Art has always been a black level fan and clearly this one trounces the competition. So what is left? Nothing unless you consider yourself a videophile and have a good HT room. Surely that includes a capable AVR for 3d and surround. Having that you can probably calibrate the 9500 with the AVR's video processor, if you even decide you need to.

Let me summarize because I could go on and on:

1. Warranty is low end, we know this.
2. Image quality is good out of the box.
3. Black level and shadow detail clobbers the competion and somehow Art plays this down in this review which is usually the measuring stick he uses.
4. No RGB adjustment which may or may not be needed depending on consumer because I guess over 95% do not calibrate
5. He cannot recommend this unit for videophile users due to lack of gray scale adjustments though true HT-ophiles will have a AVR that can easily calibrate the signal for the unit with the video processor in their AVRs, otherwise why would a videophile even consider this unt?
6. The unit has CFI and a DI that works in 3d, unlike the competition.
7. Comes with one set of DLP glasses and we already know those work fine.
8. Has 2d to 3d conversion and who cares how bad it does or does not do, was dismissed by Art.
9. I was trying to get this to 10 but grow weary lol. I go back to #2. The 9500 appears to have a good image right out of the box. There is no reason to fear you settled for a lesser capable unit when in fact the 9500 trounces the 3010 and 33 in contrast and black levels according to this review. Out of the box it may be a bit over the top but that is what folks have been buying for years now, it is called the display setting or showroom.

Final note, since Art likes to mention enthusiast or videophile in this review, again I remind you that that is less than 5% of buyers, and to suggest that if you get this unit you are less than an enthusiast is not right in my book. Perhaps in this segment we should focus on "out of the box" more than what we can do with the unit since most do not have the equipment to properly calibrate anyway.

Ok, final final note, though it took a long time to compose this post, it seems the review has all but killed this PJ as for activity. That is sad because Acer has been doing good 3d longer than anyone else in the 3d FP world, try to remember that while you consider options, because the Acer has some good features.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4745 Old 11-23-2011, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

On a 1.0 or 1.1 gain AT screen I would be concerned with brightness for 3D at the 125" size using a 3010. For that size screen and gain, I would want over 2,500 lumens for 3D.

Well I have been projecting 120-127" diagonal image on a grayish wall, and also on a white sheet while my room is being built, and 3D looks plenty bright enough to me. Especially in dynamic mode. I really don't see a 125-130"+ screen being a problem with the 3010. I think an HP screen might be overkill, especially for 2D, as the 3010 is a true light cannon.

That said, after much contemplation I returned the 3010 back to BB today, as it was my last day to return the projector. I have been happy with it, but I also am intrigued by the Acer and the upcoming BenQ W7000. The BenQ seems to have everything I am looking for, but I suspect the price is going to be double the Acer 9500, Epson 3010, and Optoma 33/3300.

I may end up buying the 3300 again, but it is best not to have regrets and hopefully we will get more feedback on the Acer. The Optoma is off my list, so I am really watching this Acer and the upcoming BenQ.
post #183 of 4745 Old 11-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Well I have been projecting 120-127" diagonal image on a grayish wall, and also on a white sheet while my room is being built, and 3D looks plenty bright enough to me. Especially in dynamic mode. I really don't see a 125-130"+ screen being a problem with the 3010. I think an HP screen might be overkill, especially for 2D, as the 3010 is a true light cannon.

That said, after much contemplation I returned the 3010 back to BB today, as it was my last day to return the projector. I have been happy with it, but I also am intrigued by the Acer and the upcoming BenQ W7000. The BenQ seems to have everything I am looking for, but I suspect the price is going to be double the Acer 9500, Epson 3010, and Optoma 33/3300.

I may end up buying the 3300 again, but it is best not to have regrets and hopefully we will get more feedback on the Acer. The Optoma is off my list, so I am really watching this Acer and the upcoming BenQ.

I use 1.0 white matte screen and this PJ is blinding bright in 2D and 3D...love it !
post #184 of 4745 Old 11-23-2011, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I can give a little perspective on the color issue maybe.

I have owned like 10+ projectors, and I recently downgraded to a Viewsonic Pro8200 from a Mits hc4000 while waiting on my new JVC to arrive (which then I will own a DLP and LCOS). The Mits hc4000 being one of the best and most accurate projectors both before and post calibration, even when comparing projectors costing $5000, it often beats them in OTB accuracy and post-calibration accuracy.

First let me say this, the Viewsonic is a little like the Acer, in that it has a few serious calibration issues.

For instance, with the Viewsonic I am able to run it a little cooler than warmer to get rid of most of the skin tinting, except that in dark scenes I cannot quite get all of it out yet. Now I haven't used my meter on it yet because I seem to have misplaced my colorimeter (I packed it in a box somewhere and just have to go through every box).

Does it drive me crazy, yes on occassion, but not too much all the time. I am sure I will get it to even better with some more calibration and lamp wear, but overall I'd definitely prefer a more color-accurate machine. The ANSI contrast is very good on this machine, much like most DLP's, but the Native Contrast is a bit lacking, but it's not as bad as that image shows. I mean comparing the Viewsonic's Native Contrast to the Mits hc4000, the jump between these two is slightly less than say the jump of the Panny 4000 over the Mits hc4000 in black levels.

Generally, between any of these DLP's without IRIS's, the black level differences are fairly mild, I mean they are there, but it's nothing compared to the extra blacks you get with an IRIS, it does make a big difference in dark scenes.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #185 of 4745 Old 11-23-2011, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

I use 1.0 white matte screen and this PJ is blinding bright in 2D and 3D...love it !

Good. I believe you own it now so I hope the honeymoon continues. I was a bit puzzled about Mike's comments too. I believe we have moved beyond the need for uber expensive high gain high performance screens but I am sure someone will put me in my place here soon. If that is the case, keep the PJ because I do not want it. I also do not believe that is the target audience of these new 3d 1080p PJs either.
post #186 of 4745 Old 11-23-2011, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree for the most part about 1.0 to 1.3 gain screens for the 3010, it is a light canon. However, after 1000 hours you may be wanting some gain for 3d, just depends.

Anyhow, depends on heavy and versatile you are of a user, I use dual mounting positions.

With my HP 2.4 gain screen, I actually can mount many projectors to get around 0.9 to 1.2 gain when they are new, then as the lamp ages, I go from ceiling to shelf or floor and go near 2.0 gain. This effectively nearly doubles my lamp life.

The biggest problem with doing the ceiling to floor method is aesthetics of course, so some of you may not want to do it, but it does have a huge advantage for saving lamps and giving you more control over brightness.

I personally would never give up my HP 2.4 gain screen because of this, unless a projector's best mode was over 1500 lumens, then it would cause serious issues. I am also able to mount a projector at a farther throw due to the gain (which in some cases makes it a little sharper or slightly increases native contrast).

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #187 of 4745 Old 11-23-2011, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

Good. I believe you own it now so I hope the honeymoon continues. I was a bit puzzled about Mike's comments too. I believe we have moved beyond the need for uber expensive high gain high performance screens but I am sure someone will put me in my place here soon. If that is the case, keep the PJ because I do not want it. I also do not believe that is the target audience of these new 3d 1080p PJs either.

yawn.......sorry, what were you saying ? too sleepy watching all the movies staying up late till 1am.....
post #188 of 4745 Old 11-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I agree for the most part about 1.0 to 1.3 gain screens for the 3010, it is a light canon. However, after 1000 hours you may be wanting some gain for 3d, just depends.

if thats the case, then good luck to HD33 and Acer9500 buyers who care about 3D
post #189 of 4745 Old 11-23-2011, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

Well that may not happen anytime soon due to Art's review. While he appears to praise the unit, he talks it down too much. I feel it is time to review the review to put things in perspective. I understand the full writeup is not done and may never get done as I have seen in the past. Now let me say up front that I appreciate Art rushing his review to the press in time for the holiday.

In this rush we do not know how hard he worked with the PJ. He flat out said he did not look into the 2d to 3d conversion feature, no big deal as several BD players do that but c'mon, it is a feature the unit has and others do not at this price. More on this later.

Let me get to the bottom line here. We all know the warranty is what it is. After one year it works or it does not so skip that. Sure a Epson warranty is hard to beat. Moving on. Here is my favorite quote of the review:

"If you are the type that doesn't notice your LCDTV is a bit over the top in picture - "sunburned looking faces" lack of color detail, etc. as most LCDTVs are in their brighter modes (and the way people watch them), the Acer will fit right in (and look better). Just find a room, and screen."

Really, that is about 90% of the market in this price segment. Continuing this line of thought:

"Color accuracy could be better. Out of the box is very watchable, but you have limited ability to improve it further with a calibration due to the lack of othe color controls used for grayscale balancing. Realizing that most people buying a sub-$2000 projector are not going to calibrate, that probably doesn't concern them, as color is already pretty good, just a bit thin on red. "

Again this is about 90% or even higher in this segment, and for those who do choose to fool with calibration they usually ask what others are using and try it. This with minimal success as screens and conditions vary. Also here is another quote for you to consider carefully and do a self analysis:

"Bottom line, you can get more accurate color with some competitors. The question is, will owners care? If you are an enthusiast - probably. If you are the traditional "wife" or "friends" almost certainly not. Still, our job here, is give you perspective to consider the trade-offs and by the best projector for use by you and yours. If you are an enthusiast demanding accuracy, etc. this one probably isn't for you based on color."

This is not the best way to sum up the 9500 and will kill sales. Better summation would have been that out of the box this unit stacks up well vs the 3010 and 33/3300. Not if you are a girl or casual idiot it will be fine because you cannot adjust RBE for gray scale which about 95% of people will not do anyway.

Now if we want to go videophile area, nobody is buying units in this segment anyway so what is the point of calling out calibration capabilities? If you want this for 3d it will do just fine, and better than non DLP tech. Sure I will hear about that one.

My biggest problem with the review is that it somehow suggests that if you get this you are not an enthusiast or that this unit is not capable of being a home theater one. Art has always been a black level fan and clearly this one trounces the competition. So what is left? Nothing unless you consider yourself a videophile and have a good HT room. Surely that includes a capable AVR for 3d and surround. Having that you can probably calibrate the 9500 with the AVR's video processor, if you even decide you need to.

Let me summarize because I could go on and on:

1. Warranty is low end, we know this.
2. Image quality is good out of the box.
3. Black level and shadow detail clobbers the competion and somehow Art plays this down in this review which is usually the measuring stick he uses.
4. No RGB adjustment which may or may not be needed depending on consumer because I guess over 95% do not calibrate
5. He cannot recommend this unit for videophile users due to lack of gray scale adjustments though true HT-ophiles will have a AVR that can easily calibrate the signal for the unit with the video processor in their AVRs, otherwise why would a videophile even consider this unt?
6. The unit has CFI and a DI that works in 3d, unlike the competition.
7. Comes with one set of DLP glasses and we already know those work fine.
8. Has 2d to 3d conversion and who cares how bad it does or does not do, was dismissed by Art.
9. I was trying to get this to 10 but grow weary lol. I go back to #2. The 9500 appears to have a good image right out of the box. There is no reason to fear you settled for a lesser capable unit when in fact the 9500 trounces the 3010 and 33 in contrast and black levels according to this review. Out of the box it may be a bit over the top but that is what folks have been buying for years now, it is called the display setting or showroom.

Final note, since Art likes to mention enthusiast or videophile in this review, again I remind you that that is less than 5% of buyers, and to suggest that if you get this unit you are less than an enthusiast is not right in my book. Perhaps in this segment we should focus on "out of the box" more than what we can do with the unit since most do not have the equipment to properly calibrate anyway.

Ok, final final note, though it took a long time to compose this post, it seems the review has all but killed this PJ as for activity. That is sad because Acer has been doing good 3d longer than anyone else in the 3d FP world, try to remember that while you consider options, because the Acer has some good features.

I think you are over analyzing Art's review and reading way too much into some of his comments. Keep in mind, the posted review is a very rough draft. Here is my take from Art's review and the overall specs/features:
Strengths:
- Black level and shadow detail are superior to all other sub $2k 3D projectors. This is a pretty big deal for me as the majority of content that I will be watching will be in 2D. You would need to pay considerably more to get better contrast for a 1080p 3D projector to get this level of contrast.
- The 9500 is a sharp projector (which is expected for a single chip DLP, but is a strength).
- The 9500 offers horizontal and vertical lens shift. This is the only sub $2K 3D projector so far to offer this. This could be huge for people that want a sub $2K projector and need lens shift. Pretty much puts the Acer in a class off it's own.
- For 2D viewing the Acer should be plenty bright enough.
- It offers CFI, and has a dynamic iris. Both features are enabled in 3D.
- DLP projectors typically exhibit minimal cross-talk/ghosting.

Negatives:
- Color accuracy. Hard to tell how big an issue this will be, but it is clearly a negative. From what I have seen and read from Art's review, this is most likely not an issue for me, but could be for others.
- You are locked into one mode for 3D. There is no "dynamic" mode for 3D that offers higher lumen output. I find this extremely frustrating since the Acer is plenty bright in 2D and has the lumen output avaIlable. Brightness is a big issue for 3D. Art seems to think this is not an issue for a 100" screen, but what about a 120-130"+ screen? This could be a deal breaker for me.
- The yo-yo iris effect. I have had to deal with this before and it sometimes drove me nuts. But you get moe contrast. So this is a real tradeoff, and I am hoping Art was being picky and it is not too noticeable.

As with any projector (especially in the sub $2K range) there are tradeoffs. If Acer would have offered more lumens in 3D mode, and better color management, they may have hit a grand slam with this projector.
post #190 of 4745 Old 11-23-2011, 11:08 PM

Liked: 10
if art would have given the 9500 a hot product award that would have taken sales away from his advertisers and we all know that they dont sell the acer 9500.
post #191 of 4745 Old 11-23-2011, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

if thats the case, then good luck to HD33 and Acer9500 buyers who care about 3D

True, pretty much in 3D people have a lot of trouble after 1000 - 1500 hours on the lamp, and that's not too abnormal. With a JVC, some people cannot use 3D after 200-400 hours on the lamp, of course it has more than average dimming in many cases.

Best advice is to run in lamp low as long as possible, and use a UPS with voltage regulation to prevent any sudden stops.

post #192 of 4745 Old 11-23-2011, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

True, pretty much in 3D people have a lot of trouble after 1000 - 1500 hours on the lamp, and that's not too abnormal. With a JVC, some people cannot use 3D after 200-400 hours on the lamp, of course it has more than average dimming in many cases.

Best advice is to run in lamp low as long as possible, and use a UPS with voltage regulation to prevent any sudden stops.

Hopefully we will continue to see glasses improve so we don't lose so much brightness when wearing them. Improvements have been made over the last year or two and I see no reason why we won't continue to see this evolve. Glasses seem to be a major factor when it comes to the overall 3D experience.
post #193 of 4745 Old 11-23-2011, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I can tell you the most annoying thing on skin tones is a severe yellow / green push, more than a red push generally. If the red push is severe enough or only occurs at different levels of brightness, then that is a different story. With the Viewsonic, the red push is severe in darker scenes once you get the skin tones neutralized in average brightness scenes, but it doesn't bother me too much because this projector isn't that great at dark scenes anyhow. Perhaps with the Acer the different pushes aren't as variable or severe.

I didn't get a chance to read the entire Acer review yet so not sure which one it has. A slight blushing effect is bareable and does not cause too much issues in general.

I do dislike overly yellow skin tones however, as it makes people look cartoonish. A blue or white push tends to make skin look more pale, and this is also very bareable until it gets too severe.

I'd say it's in this order of non-bothersome, the higher the number the more severe:

1) Slight Blue Push
2) Slight Red Push
3) Slight mixed Push (or slight orange or pink push from mixed)
4) Slight Yellow / Green push
5) Heavy Blue Push
6) Heavy Red Push
7) Heavy Mixed Push
8) Heavy Yellow / Green Push

post #194 of 4745 Old 11-23-2011, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can tell you the most annoying thing on skin tones is a severe yellow / green push, more than a red push generally. If the red push is severe enough or only occurs at different levels of brightness, then that is a different story. With the Viewsonic, the red push is severe once you get the skin tones neutralized in average brightness scenes, perhaps with the Acer the different pushes aren't as variable.

I didn't get a chance to read the entire Acer review yet so not sure which one it has. A slight blushing effect is bareable and does not cause too much issues in general.

I do dislike overly yellow skin tones however, as it makes people look cartoonish.

According to Art the Acer is not exhibiting a yellow/green push. Looking at his posted pictures and reading his review, I don't see any major skin tone issues here. That said if you are a perfectionist and hardcore calibrator, the lack of grayscale adjustment is probably a deal breaker.
post #195 of 4745 Old 11-23-2011, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

That is good news then, Yellow pushes are hell to deal with sometimes, orange (red+yellow) can be bad too though because it can make some people look like they ate too many carrots.

If the push is only minor and just a bit cool, most likely even I would be fine with it, and I'm real picky.

Again, I find a cool push to be the easiest to bare out of all of them. I'd much rather watch something at 7k if the gamma is overall fairly flat, then at 6k (in general, depending on other factors).

post #196 of 4745 Old 11-23-2011, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is good news then, Yellow pushes are hell to get out sometimes.

If the push is only minor and just a bit cool, most likely even I would be fine with it, and I'm real picky.

Again, I find a cool push to be the easiest to bare out of all of them. I'd much rather watch something at 7k if the gamma is overall fairly flat, then at 6k (in general, depending on other factors).

It is a cool push. And per Art, not a major issue. I am with you. If there was a yellow/green push, I would not even be posting in this thread and would still have the 3010.

Now the lack of lumens in 3D... Ugh. Not sure why Acer did not give is a second "dynamic" 3D mode that had more lumen output.
post #197 of 4745 Old 11-23-2011, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

A gain screen and an ND filter for 2D solves that.
If you can floor mount, the HP screen would work fairly well, as long as you have dark floors that is (it will reflect the light back to the floor). If the DI can close and be turned off to work sort of like a manual IRIS, then I'd say you don't even need the ND filter.

What were the minimum lumens achievable with this projector?

post #198 of 4745 Old 11-23-2011, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you can floor mount, the HP screen would work fairly well, as long as you have dark floors that is (it will reflect the light back to the floor). If the DI can close and be turned off to work sort of like a manual IRIS, then I'd say you don't even need the ND filter.

I am using an acoustically transparent screen with a 1.2 gain. They don't make an HP AT screen that I know of.

I am gong to hold off buying until I know more about the BenQ W7000 (price/performance).
post #199 of 4745 Old 11-23-2011, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Yah, I agree for you AT guys the Acer might be tough for 3D lumens, but for everyone else there is generally a workaround.

post #200 of 4745 Old 11-24-2011, 12:00 AM

he states that all his brightness testing was done at midpoint of lens.if it were at its widest it would have more lumens.
post #201 of 4745 Old 11-24-2011, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raullopez1234 View Post

he states that all his brightness testing was done at midpoint of lens.if it were at its widest it would have more lumens.

I can probably get the PJ about 12.5' to 13' from a 125-127" screen. Which should boost the lumens a little.
post #202 of 4745 Old 11-24-2011, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I am going to add it to the calculator, either tonight or tomorrow.

post #203 of 4745 Old 11-24-2011, 12:18 AM

how good is the depth of 2d to 3d conversion with dlp pj.internal or external conversion
post #204 of 4745 Old 11-24-2011, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am going to add it to the calculator, either tonight or tomorrow.

Thank you, I use your calculator all the time. Much appreciated for the work you have done there.
post #205 of 4745 Old 11-24-2011, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the positive note, it does have a few bugs (mostly for CIH mode). Hopefully sometime before XMAS, I will have Beta 03 ready. If you ever have any feedback, you can post it in the calculator thread in the $3000+ part of the forum, or in the bugs thread.

post #206 of 4745 Old 11-24-2011, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
No info yet about input lag on this projector?

I will replace my old Optoma HD70 only for gaming, but want one with low input lag.

Please someone test the input lag on this projector.

Thank you
post #207 of 4745 Old 11-24-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:

what is a decent brand of ND filter? Im interested in one of these for my 3010
post #208 of 4745 Old 11-24-2011, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I really have to take my hat off to Art this week. While I do not always agree with some of his observations, he has seen more PJs than I ever will so must know what he is talking about. He has really rolled up the sleeves to get the review of this unit and the 5010 done in time for the big shopping weekend. At least a first look unlike the other site. Thanks Art and Happy Thanksgiving.

There is either some photography problem or that is just the way it is with the Epson 3LCD image in the shadow detail area. At any rate I do not like it. Have a look at the new 5010 image and of course the 9500 below it:

post #209 of 4745 Old 11-24-2011, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NABCS View Post

No info yet about input lag on this projector?

I will replace my old Optoma HD70 only for gaming, but want one with low input lag.

Please someone test the input lag on this projector.

Thank you

A test would be nice and Defiancp made it look easy in that quick review of the 3010. I am convinced the Acer will post a lag time somewhere between excellent and acceptable, though.
post #210 of 4745 Old 11-24-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

@Mike
It's due to how bright the image was most likely, I keep telling everyone you can't judge that much from those screenshots but no-one believes me, lol...

The Epson 5010 has 6500:1 Native Contrast, no chance in heck that image looks like that in real life, it has almost the same native contrast as the Sony hw30. To take these kind of low light images, I am pretty sure you need a special lens and filter to be able to take the image with the same light intensity between projecotors, but I know little about photography, luckily there is Google so if I ever have to do it, will find out. You also probably need the brightness between projectors identical and have the camera positioned almost exactly the same between the two shots.

Projectors don't have different shadow detail, they have gamma and native contrast which is what makes shadow detail. It is a misunderstanding that projectors vary in shadow detail at the same contrast level, it's just gamma calibration, and very rarely NR could effect it, but not on these newer projectors so much. The only way a projector does have a shadow detail problem is if it lacks gamma calibration ability or it cannot calibrate properly overall.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Projectors , Acer H9500bd 3d 1080p Home Theater Projector , Optoma Kt4348 3d Ready Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread - Kt4348 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page