The Official Acer H9500BD Thread - Page 70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2071 of 4744 Old 03-22-2012, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I don't even think mine runs for ten seconds on shut down. My Epson 8350 is not much different either though it runs a bit longer, certainly no longer than 15 to 20 seconds. I am not so sure this is an issue and may actually be good if you think about it. Get the heat out of the case and allow the lamp to cool on its own. Fast temp changes are not good for any metals for sure. I believe turning the unit on is harder than powering it off but I have no idea what these lamps are made of.

This round of input testing is over. Found no new magic cure no matter what I tried and my HTPC can try some chit. While there is a clear difference between VGA and any HDMI/DVI input when it comes to PC text and 1:1 pixel mapping, I am not sure this impacts any of my viewing. Now I will be in contact with Acer as they have some explaining to do.

I fooled around with the 2D to 3D conversion again. The unit really does a pretty good job here and has tweaking options but just like 3D movies that are conversions, nothing can touch native shot 3D films. Those are the best.

I was not able to find the Nvidia 3D vision option in the menu tonight and I suspect that it is because I do not have the software/program which will enable that on the PJ. I will not be able to proceed further here because I have no need for Nvidia's solution and will not be buying into that. I really wanted to see if the DLP Link flash would be disabled under this mode and if so, there are smart people who could spoof that and probably figure out how to use a standalone IR emmiter for IR glasses. Again, I am fine with the DLP glasses 3D.

That is about it for tonight. Going to watch some HD on the 9500 now. I have to say that so far my unit is a good one. Just about 115 hours on it. I believe I am going to move into some calibration experimentation next both using the PJ and my AVR. Of course the AVR is more capable here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 4744 Old 03-22-2012, 09:42 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post

I can't answer all of your questions, but here's what I have.....

I've tested the 2D to 3D conversion and it's pretty good for some movies and not so good for others. If you search back over some of my old posts, you'll see some more details.

I don't use a PC to play games on it, so I'm not able to help you there. Others can.

I think there is a higher failure rate out of the box than there is with some other electronic devices. I had to go through the return process a couple of times before I got a projector which worked perfectly and then I put it through a rigorous burn in process. So far, everything is working exactly as advertised. I suspect most won't have to go through that though.

As far as picture quality goes, I'm blown away by the picture. I don't even bother with 3D on my 73" Mitsubishi anymore. According to the reports I've heard, the Optoma also has a really nice picture (some say a little better and some say not quite as good....I suspect this depends on what you like and don't like or what's important and not so important to you).

I decided on the Acer because it has a lens shift. The shift is not exactly robust, but it works for my purposes (about 15% horizontal). All I can tell you is that I love the picture.

Hope that helps....

Thanks for all the details. It's appreciated!
post #2073 of 4744 Old 03-22-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

I don't even think mine runs for ten seconds on shut down. My Epson 8350 is not much different either though it runs a bit longer, certainly no longer than 15 to 20 seconds. I am not so sure this is an issue and may actually be good if you think about it. Get the heat out of the case and allow the lamp to cool on its own. Fast temp changes are not good for any metals for sure. I believe turning the unit on is harder than powering it off but I have no idea what these lamps are made of.

This round of input testing is over. Found no new magic cure no matter what I tried and my HTPC can try some chit. While there is a clear difference between VGA and any HDMI/DVI input when it comes to PC text and 1:1 pixel mapping, I am not sure this impacts any of my viewing. Now I will be in contact with Acer as they have some explaining to do.

I fooled around with the 2D to 3D conversion again. The unit really does a pretty good job here and has tweaking options but just like 3D movies that are conversions, nothing can touch native shot 3D films. Those are the best.

I was not able to find the Nvidia 3D vision option in the menu tonight and I suspect that it is because I do not have the software/program which will enable that on the PJ. I will not be able to proceed further here because I have no need for Nvidia's solution and will not be buying into that. I really wanted to see if the DLP Link flash would be disabled under this mode and if so, there are smart people who could spoof that and probably figure out how to use a standalone IR emmiter for IR glasses. Again, I am fine with the DLP glasses 3D.

That is about it for tonight. Going to watch some HD on the 9500 now. I have to say that so far my unit is a good one. Just about 115 hours on it. I believe I am going to move into some calibration experimentation next both using the PJ and my AVR. Of course the AVR is more capable here.

Great info, thanks!

I hope I can find it at a local store soon.
post #2074 of 4744 Old 03-23-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Just got off the phone with level 2 support at Acer about the blurring/shadow issue with PC input single pixel text and lines. After going around a bit about how that is the way it is when viewing text via HDMI vs VGA on such a large screen, I made him understand that there may be some degradation doing that but the HD33 reportedly does not, the BenQ supposedly does not, and certainly my Epson 8350 does not. At least not with that obvious shadow. The rep was very courteous and actually listened instead of reading from a drill down when I explained all I have tried and seen along with some other posts from owners here. So he will be sending this to his supervisors for review in order to be forwarded to Acer's engineers to either respond to or examine.

He could not say if there will ever be a user FW capability if there were to be a FW update, or even if this is something that can or is going to be fixed, obviously. He did tell me he was not aware that people were having an issue with this and that is why I tell people to contact Acer and tell them. I don't even care about this that much but I think Acer should look into it because a lot of people do. Based on his response there is no issue when viewing video or gaming as far as text or pixel mapping as this is simply a HDMI processing anomoly with PC text. He understood that while VGA input completely solves this problem users want to use HDCP cabling and have it work like the other projectors do.

I also asked about the short shutdown fan cool down time and whether the DLP link flash is disabled when using the Nvidia 3D IR solution. I did not ask about the 3D game play tearing since I don't do that or care and don't know if mine would even have this problem beyond what little I saw when my son played his Xbox on it one time. I will try to remember to ask about this when he calls me back within 2 days which is how long he said he had to get back to me. So we wait and if there is going to be a fix I am sure it won't be within 2 days.
post #2075 of 4744 Old 03-23-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I called about whether or not they were really shipping the glasses today. Will post when/if I hear more.

Off to see "The Hunger Games".....11:50 showing for $6 at AMC.....

Home Theater: Acer H9500BD 3D Projector, 120" Elite Screen, Sony BDP-S780 3D Blu-Ray Player, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround

Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" 3D DLP, Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-Ray Player, Harmon Kardon AVR 5.1, Polk Audio 5.1 Surround
post #2076 of 4744 Old 03-23-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I called about whether or not they were really shipping the glasses today. Will post when/if I hear more.

Crap, I forgot to ask about those lol. Good luck with that.
post #2077 of 4744 Old 03-23-2012, 11:21 AM

Does anyone have any recommendations concerning what 3D glasses to use with H9500BD (since the Acer glasses seem to be impossible to find)? Also, any recommendations on the best ceiling mount to be used with this projector? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
post #2078 of 4744 Old 03-23-2012, 01:35 PM

Found this on http://www.ccisolutions.com/StoreFro...nning-smoothly

Allow your projector to warm up and cool down
When starting up your projector let it warm up all the way prior to shutting it down. If you shutdown right away after turning it on, you'll most likely blow your lamp. The cool down process is also very important to the life of your lamp. Steve Long recommends, "When turning off your projector, let it go through the cool down cycle before moving or disconnecting it." Not allowing the projector to go through cool down could cause the unit to overheat and the lamp lifecycle to lessen.

Let your projector rest
If at all possible give your projector a break. Lamps have rare gasses inside and need to cool down. Giving the projector time to rest can extend the lifecycle of your lamp. So don't leave your projector running constantly or for hours on end, it will result in buying new lamps frequently.

By following the above tips, you can save money in repairs, lamp replacements, or even projector replacement. Take care of your projector, so you won't be left without a picture
post #2079 of 4744 Old 03-23-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokanije View Post

Found this on http://www.ccisolutions.com/StoreFro...nning-smoothly

Allow your projector to warm up and cool down
When starting up your projector let it warm up all the way prior to shutting it down. If you shutdown right away after turning it on, you'll most likely blow your lamp. The cool down process is also very important to the life of your lamp. Steve Long recommends, "When turning off your projector, let it go through the cool down cycle before moving or disconnecting it." Not allowing the projector to go through cool down could cause the unit to overheat and the lamp lifecycle to lessen.

Let your projector rest
If at all possible give your projector a break. Lamps have rare gasses inside and need to cool down. Giving the projector time to rest can extend the lifecycle of your lamp. So don't leave your projector running constantly or for hours on end, it will result in buying new lamps frequently.

By following the above tips, you can save money in repairs, lamp replacements, or even projector replacement. Take care of your projector, so you won't be left without a picture

As has already been pointed out, thermal changes cause stress. Fans, and the amount of time they run are almost assuredly an integral part of the life cycle of lamps. It may be beneficial to have the cooling fan run for 10, 15, 30, etc. seconds. The bottom line is that we didn't develop the PJ/lamp and don't know what will and won't extend the life of the lamp or the PJ (2 separate issues, by the way).

Also, don't assume engineering is meant to extend the life of any given device. Planned obsolescence exists. There are good and not so good reasons for this.

(I will go to see the next installment of "The Hunger Games" and predict a very good turnout this weekend....not for the young uns however)

Home Theater: Acer H9500BD 3D Projector, 120" Elite Screen, Sony BDP-S780 3D Blu-Ray Player, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround

Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" 3D DLP, Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-Ray Player, Harmon Kardon AVR 5.1, Polk Audio 5.1 Surround
post #2080 of 4744 Old 03-23-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

OK. Sure. First off, I've been in the electronics industry for about 30 years. I started off in hardware engineering and gradually moved into troubleshooting a wide array of problems and (now) computer networking . I'm not an expert in video, but have looked into some of the details and, think, I'm getting up to speed.

I also have a background in statistical analysis and, therefore, know that what I'm about to say may be wrong with regard to the Acer's reliability.

One thing I can say is the Acer has a very high quality picture. I can't compare it to the Optoma, Panasonic, or BenQ because I haven't seen them. I do have a Sanyo PLV Z2000 and the Acer is brighter, sharper, and the colors are better. I LIKE my Sanyo and could watch it without any reservations. That's the way electronics works. We generally make incremental, positive changes and devices tend to come down in price. I don't regret buying the Acer for a second, but my perspective may be different than others.

Some people may like certain technologies better than others. I found I like the DLP technology and was surprised that some others don't (My Sanyo is an LCD projector).

With any electronic device, I look at the quality of service I get as well as reliability. I further break reliability down into initial and longer term reliability. Just because an electronic device may not be reliable at the beginning of it's lifetime, doesn't mean it won't be reliable long term (once the early failures are weeded out....it also doesn't mean it WILL be reliable long term). My anecdotal (and this is where my background in statistical analysis comes in) take on the Acer is that there is a high infant mortality rate (this is a term commonly used in electronics and doesn't refer to people). I've put it through a pretty rigorous burn in (stress test) process. Specifically, I left it on for anywhere from 9 to 16 hours at a time. The thinking behind this is that there is what is known as a bathtub effect (think of a bathtub being viewed from the side as a failure rate graph....high early and late in life failure and lower failure rate during mid-life).

No one can ever be "sure" that any device won't fail. The best we can do is raise the probability that we'll have reliable service. That's why I stressed the projector. By and large, devices tend to fail early on. If I have a device that's going to die on me, I prefer to know about it sooner rather than later.

You can look over some of my earlier posts where I've gone over this. Others are probably bored with the repetition. If you want to PM me, feel free to do so. We can even talk on the phone if you think that will be helpful.

In case you are wondering, I have no affiliation whatsoever with any manufacturing firm and work for a public university.

Thanks... But honestly I thought you would say I did 1,2,3... (Of course one of which you said you kept it on for 9-16 hrs)..
But this became much philosophical..
Anyways. I too have a Sanyo PLV-z2000 which is running fantastic since more than 4 years. I was looking for an alternative and upgrade. I started with Infocus SP4805.
I have reached page 50 of the thread and this ACER seem promising.
There is no rush as z2000 is still strong, so this research is good..
Thank you once again...
post #2081 of 4744 Old 03-23-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post

Thanks... But honestly I thought you would say I did 1,2,3... (Of course one of which you said you kept it on for 9-16 hrs)..
But this became much philosophical..
Anyways. I too have a Sanyo PLV-z2000 which is running fantastic since more than 4 years. I was looking for an alternative and upgrade. I started with Infocus SP4805.
I have reached page 50 of the thread and this ACER seem promising.
There is no rush as z2000 is still strong, so this research is good..
Thank you once again...

The 9-16 hours was the stress test. Do it over a period of days and you will more likely see problems appear if they are on the horizon. Another (really good) idea expressed on this thread is to not power down and up in a short period of time. At least this is what I've surmised.

1, 2, 3 are fine, but the details behind the process are often more important than the procedures themselves. Sorry I don't do "yes" or "no" very well. A friend of mine once told me that when he told someone to ask me a question, the reply he got was "I don't want to talk to him. You ask him what time it is and he tells you how the clock works". I fear this is all too true.....

post #2082 of 4744 Old 03-23-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 9-16 hours was the stress test. Do it over a period of days and you will more likely see problems appear if they are on the horizon. Another (really good) idea expressed on this thread is to not power down and up in a short period of time. At least this is what I've surmised.

9-16 hrs would certainly be the stress test.
The short on-off (far as I know from SP4805 days) reduces the bulb life by 2 hrs .

Quote:

1, 2, 3 are fine, but the details behind the process are often more important than the procedures themselves. Sorry I don't do "yes" or "no" very well. A friend of mine once told me that when he told someone to ask me a question, the reply he got was "I don't want to talk to him. You ask him what time it is and he tells you how the clock works". I fear this is all too true.....

No problem for me here. Thanks... Really appreciate the details you put around..
post #2083 of 4744 Old 03-23-2012, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel67 View Post

I've decided to redo my painted behr silver screen projection screen and have ordered the materials for MaxxMudd v2. Should take a few weeks to receive and get in place. What is everyone else using? Anyone else using a DIY screen?

I currently have the screen made of the famous PLASTEX panel (from Lowes). I have no complaints. My theater room has no windows and is painted dark.
So far no issues with the screen. Just wondering for the 3D do I have to go the upgrade route for screen.
My screen size is 90" and throw distance is about 14 feet.
Appreciate your inputs..
post #2084 of 4744 Old 03-23-2012, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I am not going to step into anything here. Believe it or not but I have already heard back from Acer about some of my questions. Not all are satisfactory or fully explained but among the ones that I feel are is the shut down one which mirrors my thoughts. Here it is: the shut down cycle will run the cooling fan as long as necessary based on a thermal sensor so there is no set time for this. Put another way, there is a thermal sensor that determines the the fan run time based on temperature. I am a firm believer that cooling lamp filaments too fast is a bad thing. Let that metal cool slowly so as not to stress it. I am also a firm believer in LED lit DLP but we are still waiting for cost effective solutions for that.

Again, I have some other info that needs to be clarified but I am told that the 9500 has a 6 segment wheel that spins at 7200 rpms at 2x. Sound like a hard drive motor to anyone? It also spins at 9000rpms for 3x and that is at PAL 50hz. Not sure what that means or even if I believe the wheel is 2x during normal ops but it is a DC2 chip. Some of this makes sense since when activating 3D it sounds like a hard drive spinning up. As for the wheel, I got no solid answer except it was a 6 segment one which leads me to believe it is RGBRGB. I have a few more answers that were sent back for clarification so no need to talk about them now.

So they are answering all of my questions or forwarding the ones they cannot answer. I am happy with that as they are responsive. Let's see where it goes. Again, most of this is fluff for me but I am tired of hearing about complaints of this unit where they are simply returned instead of trying the support channel. None of this will be fixed that way and yes I told them about the 3D 720 gaming tearing issue and asked about the glasses. The glasses issue was not an issue for me though they offered a PN and vendor. I figured others beating them up had this covered.
post #2085 of 4744 Old 03-24-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just got off the phone with level 2 support at Acer about the blurring/shadow issue with PC input single pixel text and lines.

I am just curious. If you look at the "compatibility mode" section the manaul, it has section B.1 that lists the resolutions when PC is connected via HDMI and the highest resolution possible there is UXGA (1600 x 1200).
I am not sure if this has any contribution to blurring (may due to some upscaling done by PJ).
post #2086 of 4744 Old 03-24-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I am not sure if anyone is using the DVI input of the Acer for 3D.
My current setup is below

PS3 ->HDMI -> Denon 1909 ->HDMI-DVI Adapter -> DVI-D 25' ->DVI-HDMI adapter - Sanyo PLv-z2000

I do not have the HDMI running from AVR to PJ and would like to use existing DVI Dual link like below

PS3 ->HDMI-DVI Adapter -> DVI-D 25' -> DVI input of 9500BD
(Denon 1909 is knocked off as it does not support 3D pass thru)

Do you think this will pose some issue?
post #2087 of 4744 Old 03-24-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am just curious. If you look at the "compatibility mode" section the manaul, it has section B.1 that lists the resolutions when PC is connected via HDMI and the highest resolution possible there is UXGA (1600 x 1200).
I am not sure if this has any contribution to blurring (may due to some upscaling done by PJ).

Perhaps, but not likely because I tried setting the resolution to 1600x1200 with no effect on the shadow/blur, just a different size displayed on the screen.

Quote:

I am not sure if anyone is using the DVI input of the Acer for 3D.
My current setup is below

PS3 ->HDMI -> Denon 1909 ->HDMI-DVI Adapter -> DVI-D 25' ->DVI-HDMI adapter - Sanyo PLv-z2000

I do not have the HDMI running from AVR to PJ and would like to use existing DVI Dual link like below

PS3 ->HDMI-DVI Adapter -> DVI-D 25' -> DVI input of 9500BD
(Denon 1909 is knocked off as it does not support 3D pass thru)

Do you think this will pose some issue?

No, I don't think this will be an issue. If I get a chance I may test 3D via the DVI input later but I don't think it will behave any differently than the HDMI input since both ought to support the format. Who knows though with the goofy HDMI 1.4 spec?
post #2088 of 4744 Old 03-24-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I am not going to step into anything here. Believe it or not but I have already heard back from Acer about some of my questions. Not all are satisfactory or fully explained but among the ones that I feel are is the shut down one which mirrors my thoughts. Here it is: the shut down cycle will run the cooling fan as long as necessary based on a thermal sensor so there is no set time for this. Put another way, there is a thermal sensor that determines the the fan run time based on temperature. I am a firm believer that cooling lamp filaments too fast is a bad thing. Let that metal cool slowly so as not to stress it. I am also a firm believer in LED lit DLP but we are still waiting for cost effective solutions for that.

Again, I have some other info that needs to be clarified but I am told that the 9500 has a 6 segment wheel that spins at 7200 rpms at 2x. Sound like a hard drive motor to anyone? It also spins at 9000rpms for 3x and that is at PAL 50hz. Not sure what that means or even if I believe the wheel is 2x during normal ops but it is a DC2 chip. Some of this makes sense since when activating 3D it sounds like a hard drive spinning up. As for the wheel, I got no solid answer except it was a 6 segment one which leads me to believe it is RGBRGB. I have a few more answers that were sent back for clarification so no need to talk about them now.

So they are answering all of my questions or forwarding the ones they cannot answer. I am happy with that as they are responsive. Let's see where it goes. Again, most of this is fluff for me but I am tired of hearing about complaints of this unit where they are simply returned instead of trying the support channel. None of this will be fixed that way and yes I told them about the 3D 720 gaming tearing issue and asked about the glasses. The glasses issue was not an issue for me though they offered a PN and vendor. I figured others beating them up had this covered.

The explanation of the "shut down" issue you describe (the fan running for X amount of time, depending on lamp temperature, after shutting down the PJ) makes sense and, in fact, makes a lot more sense that having a fan running for a static amount of time without regard to other issues. I still don't fully understand why it's important to have the bulb cool down quickly when it's very hot and then use a normal cooling process, but I can certainly believe this is important.

I never start arguments on forums like this and think that most disagreements are a result of misunderstandings and different needs or expectations on the part of the participants.

I have returned a couple of Acer projectors, but have only done so after going through appropriate channels (Acer Tier 2 at the minimum) in order to confirm a hardware problem with the projector before the return. The first time I went through a return, it was because the 2D to 3D conversion wasn't working properly (plus it was $200 less over President's Day weekend). The next unit had a lot of shut down (during viewing) issues and, in addition, the HDMI 1.4a ports clearly didn't fall within the spec. I tested this in multiple ways using my first PJ and my existing PJ (Sanyo....1.3 compliant) to confirm the problem.

In all cases, these issues were documented by Acer and I was given a case number confirming the problem. I don't think I'm being referred to as someone how just returned the PJ instead of working through support channels (or complaining for that matter), but wanted to make it clear that:

A - I REALLY like this projector
B - I spoke with Acer to confirm hardware problems and was more than willing to go through any suggested troubleshooting procedures.

The bottom line is that I have had no problems with my current projector and am convinced there were hardware issues with the returned items. I originally bought a brand new projector and wanted to make sure it was operating properly. I was convinced the first two were defective and wanted a new rather than repaired model (though repairs with engineering updates can be superior to OEM models....something to keep in mind).

This is a great thread with people who are willing to go out of their way to help others. I genuinely appreciate everyone's contributions.

post #2089 of 4744 Old 03-24-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

InCali, you and Mike2Cents are doing an awesome job looking into things and answering questions. All I can say is that we have been loving the Acer and have watched countless movies and TV shows and the PQ is stunning for the most part. This does not look like a $1500 projector to me. The black levels are very good. My neighbor just picked up a new Sony 3D projector that costs well over twice the price of the Acer. He knows next to nothing about home theater and I volunteered to help him buy a screen, speakers, receiver, etc, and hook everything up (the room is pre-wired).

So I will post my thoughts on how the Acer stacks up to a projector that costs over twice the price.

BTW, the wife and I also saw Hunger Games today's and we really enjoyed it (read the books).
post #2090 of 4744 Old 03-24-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I was not trying to direct my post about calling for support to anyone in particular. I was simply trying to urge folks to try and resolve issues that remain by notifying support about the unit. That was more aimed at happy owners who do not care about the desktop blur/shadow. When I started to tell level one support about the issue they were all but ready to have me send it in until I explained that all of the units exhibit this. I finally got hold of someone who understood I did not want to return the unit but wanted answers or a fix. That is what I am waiting for. The more owners who tell them about this the better off all of us will be in the event they fix it or at least rid this from the next model. I am still very happy with mine for my purposes. For what it is worth, my DLP TV does the same blur/shadow thing with PC desktop text and single pixel lines.
post #2091 of 4744 Old 03-24-2012, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I currently have the screen made of the famous PLASTEX panel (from Lowes). I have no complaints. My theater room has no windows and is painted dark.
So far no issues with the screen. Just wondering for the 3D do I have to go the upgrade route for screen.
My screen size is 90" and throw distance is about 14 feet.
Appreciate your inputs..

Any inputs please. I am trying to keep the upgrade cost minimum and hence this question. (If not I will need to spend at least $200 more to get the Jamestown screen )
But I would avoid this as the current screen works perfectly for 2D. If it works for 3D as well then that would be good.
post #2092 of 4744 Old 03-24-2012, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any inputs please. I am trying to keep the upgrade cost minimum and hence this question. (If not I will need to spend at least $200 more to get the Jamestown screen )
But I would avoid this as the current screen works perfectly for 2D. If it works for 3D as well then that would be good.

I would think that you would be fine for 3D. It is not an overly large screen and with the dark room your should have plenty of lumens.

How far away do you sit from the screen? The only thing that stands out to me is your screen size. I am sitting about 14' or so from a 125" screen.
post #2093 of 4744 Old 03-24-2012, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was not trying to direct my post about calling for support to anyone in particular. I was simply trying to urge folks to try and resolve issues that remain by notifying support about the unit. That was more aimed at happy owners who do not care about the desktop blur/shadow. When I started to tell level one support about the issue they were all but ready to have me send it in until I explained that all of the units exhibit this. I finally got hold of someone who understood I did not want to return the unit but wanted answers or a fix. That is what I am waiting for. The more owners who tell them about this the better off all of us will be in the event they fix it or at least rid this from the next model. I am still very happy with mine for my purposes. For what it is worth, my DLP TV does the same blur/shadow thing with PC desktop text and single pixel lines.

Fair 'nuff...the written word is easily misunderstood; especially when we don't ask for clarification.

post #2094 of 4744 Old 03-24-2012, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's difficult to answer this question, but if you feel like there's plenty of brightness for you in 2D (are you in eco mode??), it will probably work okay for 3D. If you can move your PJ closer (I have a 120" screen at 14' and have plenty of brightness), that will help in case your picture seems too dim.

I don't know what the gain of the material you're using is, but, hey, if it doesn't work out, then buy the new screen. it won't hurt to give it a spin....All that being said......get as LARGE a screen as you can.....you won't regret it (Spoil yourself). At 14', you can go 120" (Just make sure you have enough shift). I have an old Elite screen (16:9) with a 1.0 or 1.1 gain and it looks awesome. I just wish everything was done in 16:9 instead of widescreen.....

post #2095 of 4744 Old 03-24-2012, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's difficult to answer this question, but if you feel like there's plenty of brightness for you in 2D (are you in eco mode??), it will probably work okay for 3D. If you can move your PJ closer (I have a 120" screen at 14' and have plenty of brightness), that will help in case your picture seems too dim.

I don't know what the gain of the material you're using is, but, hey, if it doesn't work out, then buy the new screen. it won't hurt to give it a spin....All that being said......get as LARGE a screen as you can.....you won't regret it (Spoil yourself). At 14', you can go 120" (Just make sure you have enough shift). I have an old Elite screen (16:9) with a 1.0 or 1.1 gain and it looks awesome. I just wish everything was done in 16:9 instead of widescreen.....

Thanks.
I am on echo and the brightness with z-2000 is more than enough.
I was just trying to find that 3D does not need anything "special" in terms of screen..
post #2096 of 4744 Old 03-24-2012, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Till this afternoon Tigerdirect price was $1499 (for new) and $1349 for refurb..
Now it shows $1699 and $1499 resp.

I see that they have Acer glasses. I am not sure if this is the model everyone is looking for.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...415&CatId=5481
post #2097 of 4744 Old 03-24-2012, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I would think that you would be fine for 3D. It is not an overly large screen and with the dark room your should have plenty of lumens.

How far away do you sit from the screen? The only thing that stands out to me is your screen size. I am sitting about 14' or so from a 125" screen.

I sit at 14' (happens to be under the PJ)
post #2098 of 4744 Old 03-24-2012, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I sit at 14' (happens to be under the PJ)

You might want to consider a larger screen. I would go at least 120" if possible (not knowing your room).
post #2099 of 4744 Old 03-24-2012, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Till this afternoon Tigerdirect price was $1499 (for new) and $1349 for refurb..
Now it shows $1699 and $1499 resp.

I see that they have Acer glasses. I am not sure if this is the model everyone is looking for.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...415&CatId=5481

Nice find on the glasses. This is a good price if this is the real deal.
post #2100 of 4744 Old 03-24-2012, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

You might want to consider a larger screen. I would go at least 120" if possible (not knowing your room).

Any specific reason to go larger? (I guess you may be talking from 3D immersion point of view)
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Projectors , Acer H9500bd 3d 1080p Home Theater Projector , Optoma Kt4348 3d Ready Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page