post #2491 of 4744 Old 04-17-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

As I said last night, I compared HD viewing from my PC via the dual DVI outputs. One went DVI out to DVI in and the other went DVI out to VGA input 2 on the projector. As I mentioned previously, there is a pixel mapping problem but how bad is it? I will start with Windows desktop viewing and I apologize for my image quality of the pictures but it is good enough to get the idea. My reasons for this are twofold, capture and show it, and send them to Acer. More on that in a later post.

Anyway, here we go. First up is a DVI in desktop image of my display setup page in Windows 7:

Followed by the VGA in image as close as I can get it hand held because my broken tripod is now my 9500 ceiling mount lol:

Here is a closer view of the DVI input:

and then the VGA input:

So there is a lot going on here as one can see. I do not have the best camera but it is easy to see the VGA input trounces the DVI one when the dispay is cloned as you can see. All I did was change the input on the PJ and snap the pic. Now clever viewers will note some other differences that do not immediately jump out but I will see if anyone can figure out what I am talking about. As a clue, the difference is actually in the favor of the DVI input pics that are not as sharp as the VGA ones. It is not a sharpness thing. More to follow shortly.

Good work. Very obvious in those pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2492 of 4744 Old 04-17-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I am not sure either and that is why I asked if he saw RBE as well. Seems if he was sensitive to dither and was seeing it, then surely he would be seeing RBE because he has eagle eyes or something.

Anyway, I heard back from Acer yesterday and progress on the mapping is slow. More questions about my equipment and settings. That is why I put together the pictures I posted here yesterday. I sent them copies of everything so they know what to do to duplicate my test and see the issue. Not enough complaints about this for them to realize there is something going on.

Those pictures got me to thinking about comparing my Sanyo to the Acer when my son is playing WoW on his Mac. We've just about decided on an 80" pull down screen for his bedroom and he gets the Sanyo. I checked out Coderguy's calculator and going from a 120" to 80" screen along with the Sanyo being closer to the screen looks like it's going to make a big difference in brightness (which was really the only issue with it that I noticed....we had to have pretty good light control).

As soon as we get this project off the ground, I'll do a comparison. I know at least a couple of people out there have both the Sanyo and the Acer. Has anyone else done a comparison??? Has anyone done any gaming on the Sanyo? If so, how well does it work? He'll be using it for TV, Xbox/DVD, and his Mac.

Home Theater: Acer H9500BD 3D Projector, 120" Elite Screen, Sony BDP-S780 3D Blu-Ray Player, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround

Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" 3D DLP, Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-Ray Player, Harmon Kardon AVR 5.1, Polk Audio 5.1 Surround
post #2493 of 4744 Old 04-17-2012, 02:16 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Anyway, I heard back from Acer yesterday and progress on the mapping is slow.

Mike, really appreciate your efforts here. Since you seem to have their attention, can you also ask them about the SBS tearing bug?
post #2494 of 4744 Old 04-17-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Miller View Post

Mike, really appreciate your efforts here. Since you seem to have their attention, can you also ask them about the SBS tearing bug?

Brian I told them about that a while ago but it was not a priority for me as much as the 1:1 pixel mapping so it seems they let that go with we are not aware statements and we have not received complaints type stuff. I will bring it up again but the true power is the volume of complaints. That and a lack of sales. The biggest fix comes when you can simply return a unit for a refund and tell them why. Seems Acer has insulated themselves from that with exchange only sales. I will do my part but I urge anyone with any issue on the 9500 to contact Acer support and complain.

The 9500 is a good unit but it needs some tweaking to make it right. Acer will not do this until they have a reason to do so.
post #2495 of 4744 Old 04-17-2012, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post

As soon as we get this project off the ground, I'll do a comparison. I know at least a couple of people out there have both the Sanyo and the Acer. Has anyone else done a comparison??? Has anyone done any gaming on the Sanyo? If so, how well does it work? He'll be using it for TV, Xbox/DVD, and his Mac.

Added:
I meant to add that gaming works well on the Sanyo, they have very little lag.

I've compared a newer Sanyo z4000 to a Mitsubishi hc4000. The Mits hc4000 has an image very much like the Acer except the Mits has no IRIS. The z4000 was a pretty good projector (I was surprised), but it was just too dim for 9 out of 10 peoples setup (you need high gain after 500 hours). The Acer will have more gaming lag though. Basically to keep it short, an older Sanyo vs. Acer, the Acer is better overall, more film-like, higher pixel fill, more punch. Depending on convergence luck, the Acer will probably be quite a bit sharper than the Sanyo, although some Sanyos are really sharp.

The Sanyo might win on blacks (the z4000 would for sure, not sure about the z2000), but it won't be by much. If it is anything like my comparison, some scenes will favor one or the other projector, but overall DLP will walk away the winner in the end.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #2496 of 4744 Old 04-18-2012, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Titanic 3D available for preorder... if you wanna be ahead of the curve..
post #2497 of 4744 Old 04-18-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Added:
I meant to add that gaming works well on the Sanyo, they have very little lag.

I've compared a newer Sanyo z4000 to a Mitsubishi hc4000. The Mits hc4000 has an image very much like the Acer except the Mits has no IRIS. The z4000 was a pretty good projector (I was surprised), but it was just too dim for 9 out of 10 peoples setup (you need high gain after 500 hours). The Acer will have more gaming lag though. Basically to keep it short, an older Sanyo vs. Acer, the Acer is better overall, more film-like, higher pixel fill, more punch. Depending on convergence luck, the Acer will probably be quite a bit sharper than the Sanyo, although some Sanyos are really sharp.

The Sanyo might win on blacks (the z4000 would for sure, not sure about the z2000), but it won't be by much. If it is anything like my comparison, some scenes will favor one or the other projector, but overall DLP will walk away the winner in the end.

Wow (not world of warcraft wow.....), thanks for the info. It needs to be pretty dark with no direct or indirect sunlight on the screen for my Sanyo to handle a 120" screen at about 14'. If it's dark, however, the lights can be on dimly and I still have a nice, sharp picture. I think a 74-80" screen with the Sanyo about 8-9 feet away will make a huge difference (according to your calculator which I've found to be pretty much spot on and extremely helpful when it comes to planning installations). The colors on the Sanyo are definitely muted compared to the Acer, but I think it's still a really nice projector (not to mention the fact that it can be adjusted).

We have pretty good lighting control (but not absolute) in my son's bedroom so I "think" we'll be okay. If not, they've got these new, hi-tech inventions called "shades". I'll try one if necessary.

Home Theater: Acer H9500BD 3D Projector, 120" Elite Screen, Sony BDP-S780 3D Blu-Ray Player, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround

Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" 3D DLP, Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-Ray Player, Harmon Kardon AVR 5.1, Polk Audio 5.1 Surround
post #2498 of 4744 Old 04-18-2012, 06:28 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

As I said last night, I compared HD viewing from my PC via the dual DVI outputs. One went DVI out to DVI in and the other went DVI out to VGA input 2 on the projector. As I mentioned previously, there is a pixel mapping problem but how bad is it? I will start with Windows desktop viewing and I apologize for my image quality of the pictures but it is good enough to get the idea. My reasons for this are twofold, capture and show it, and send them to Acer. More on that in a later post.

Anyway, here we go. First up is a DVI in desktop image of my display setup page in Windows 7:

Followed by the VGA in image as close as I can get it hand held because my broken tripod is now my 9500 ceiling mount lol:

and then the VGA input:

So there is a lot going on here as one can see. I do not have the best camera but it is easy to see the VGA input trounces the DVI one when the dispay is cloned as you can see. All I did was change the input on the PJ and snap the pic. Now clever viewers will note some other differences that do not immediately jump out but I will see if anyone can figure out what I am talking about. As a clue, the difference is actually in the favor of the DVI input pics that are not as sharp as the VGA ones. It is not a sharpness thing. More to follow shortly.

Well done, Mike! Any reply from Acer on this?

Thanks!
post #2499 of 4744 Old 04-18-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:

and then the VGA input:

Is it wrong that I like the font smoothing in the first pics?
post #2500 of 4744 Old 04-18-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Well tonight I decided that we were going to watch Survivor on my 8350 since it is my backup projector. The first responses here was why? I said bulb life. Well it did not take long for everyone here to request the 9500. Even my wife who is not very discriminating said that I need to put the other unit on and sell the current one. Anyway, my point is that despite my posts about 1:1 pixel mapping blurring, the 9500 has a very good picture. I cannot wait for Acer to clear up this issue because then I will be in hog heaven.

What am I saying here? Well the 9500 has a blurring issue via HDMI input. Even so, it is better than my 8350 on the same content. So my quest is to rid the blurring because DLP is so sharp. It is so hard to detect the difference between HDMI and VGA one must get close to the screen, yet it is there. At any rate the 9500 is much sharper than my 8350 and I suspect some of that blurring enhances contrast/black levels. One can look at my previous pictures to view this.

For now, the 9500 is a very good unit but I think it could be better. If Acer does not fix this, then I will use the VGA input which really shines. It is that good.
post #2501 of 4744 Old 04-18-2012, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At any rate the 9500 is much sharper than my 8350

Wow...

This makes me think going HTPC route...
post #2502 of 4744 Old 04-18-2012, 09:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Interestingly (And fortunately) one thing at least for me that makes the RBE go away is hooch. Two forty's down and I see none.

post #2503 of 4744 Old 04-19-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post

Titanic 3D available for preorder... if you wanna be ahead of the curve..

I think I'll stay behind the curve on this one, but thanks....

I'm going to do some digging elsewhere (so excuse me if I'm a little off topic), but I've decided to go ahead and give my son the backup Sanyo projector for his bedroom. My reasons I want to do this are numerous and self serving in almost every regard.

The lure of being able to play WoW on an 80" screen was too much for him to resist and he agreed to cut back his gaming to 3 nights a week when he and his cadre get together to kill bad things (as you can tell from my choice of words, I'm quite the WoW expert). I'll be ordering an Elite screen (16:9) from Amazon for about $75 (inc shipping).

I think the only thing I need is some sort of sound system and some cables. The cables are easy, but I was wondering if someone had any recommendations for an "inexpensive" sound solution for a 16 year old boy who doesn't clean his room, eats like an elephant, has to be bribed to do his homework, and has deluded himself into believing that I'm going to buy him a car?

post #2504 of 4744 Old 04-19-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hiya InCali!

I got my friend a Sony ht-ct150 sound bar/subwoofer and for the price it's pretty amazing.
post #2505 of 4744 Old 04-19-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

Hiya InCali!

I got my friend a Sony ht-ct150 sound bar/subwoofer and for the price it's pretty amazing.

I'm thinking along the lines of an inexpensive 2.1 amplifier with a remote and multiple (at least two) external inputs and some inexpensive speakers. Been looking at the Sony SS-B3000 speakers.

Happy to change my mind though. He'll be using his mac, an Xbox, and the cable box. I have a logitech (Z5500 or something like that) in my HT (only cost me a little over $200 back a few years ago.....the same model is selling for a LOT more now. Good deal for what I paid....not so good now.

post #2506 of 4744 Old 04-19-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engkiat View Post

Well done, Mike! Any reply from Acer on this?

Thanks!

Uhmm yes and I was not happy so I went Corporate Customer Care and am awaiting a response from them. I will explain more later, trying to give Acer the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Miller View Post

Sorry Brian, but the short answer is no for right now as I am having difficulties getting positive action on the pixel mapping issue. I do not need to throw anything else in the mix right now.

I am told though that the 3D glasses are available for sale on the US Acer site so have a look. I have not.

More later when I know anything. Expecting a call back from Acer Corporate Support.
post #2507 of 4744 Old 04-19-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello again fellow 9500 owners and prospective buyers. I believe I have gone as far as I can with Acer on this without talking to a VP or CEO which is not quite that easy either. Let me try to summarize because you all know what my complaint was and have seen the pictures.

1. Started out by calling Acer tech spt about the 1:1 pixel mapping that I became aware that BenQ was going to fix on their unit.

2. Did not get the answer I wanted and went to second level support. Acer rep said no complaints here and that prompted me to do the test I did and sent them the pics I did with detailed info on everything in my setup, I mean everything and how to do this test. Response there was that there is some blurring on text via HDMI and that is a design limitation from the TI DMD chip. Chuckles here and I point out that the chip can do it no problem via VGA input so unsatisfactory answer. Have you looked at the pictures? No, but engineers say the problem is not viewable from normal viewing distances. Oh boy, they did not test the VGA side. I ask them to have the engineers duplicate the test I did. Response is that I need to send my unit in so they can duplicate the issue. I tell him they can duplicate the issue with any 9500 ever made and I am not sending mine in. They say that is the solution for me so I ask to escalate my complaint.

3. OK, now we are at the Coporate Customer Care level and I am speaking with a nice lady who has no technical expertise whatsoever and readily admits it but promises to look into things. I describe all above and she promises to call back within the hour. Calls back and basically says Acer engineering has not received any complaints on this and therefore they want me to send my unit in to verify the issue since my unit must be faulty. Pulls hair out now and explains that they do not need my unit, any unit will display this. Nope, I need to send mine in and they will look at it. Grrrr, let me talk to your supervisor. Nope, you are at the end of Acer customer care. Really ma'am? Yessir. Nobody else to talk to about this. No sir, we have offered to look at your unit and if you elect not to have it checked this case is closed. I tell her that I am not done here and have other avenues to pursue and she wishes me a good day.

4. Now I am calling Acer corporate HQs looking to speak with Mark Groveunder, the VP of customer service. This proves to not be an easy task. You simply cannot speak with a VP anytime you want and I know that. So I go through insulation levels and describe why I wish to speak with him. I get transferred to Customer Care at Acer HQ who does not know my last Corporate rep and knows about as much about the issue as the last one did but assured me that she would address my complaint that I supposedly could not make about the last end of the line Corporate Customer Support rep. She listened to my complaint and said it would be sent for internal review among the Acer staff to evaluate including the URL here. I say fine, when can I look to hear back or will you be contacting me? I am told to check the Acer website for updates. WTH Really? I tell her that I am not happy with that and if they cannot do any better I will go to every website selling this projecter and give a bad review and not recommend the unit until I hear news from Acer to the contrary. Well she was not happy with that at all so that made two of us but she could not promise me a response so she said I could call back and check.

Now this post is getting windy so you see how my day went. Try to help a company sell projectors. Sheesh. I will post up my solution here next but I need to take a break and have a beer and cool off as I am getting worked up again over the sheer stupidity of how I wasted too much of my day today.
post #2508 of 4744 Old 04-19-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Wow. That's a ton of work. You could always send this to Art and some other projector reviewers. That might get something going
post #2509 of 4744 Old 04-19-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hello again fellow 9500 owners and prospective buyers. I believe I have gone as far as I can with Acer on this without talking to a VP or CEO which is not quite that easy either. Let me try to summarize because you all know what my complaint was and have seen the pictures.

1. Started out by calling Acer tech spt about the 1:1 pixel mapping that I became aware that BenQ was going to fix on their unit.

2. Did not get the answer I wanted and went to second level support. Acer rep said no complaints here and that prompted me to do the test I did and sent them the pics I did with detailed info on everything in my setup, I mean everything and how to do this test. Response there was that there is some blurring on text via HDMI and that is a design limitation from the TI DMD chip. Chuckles here and I point out that the chip can do it no problem via VGA input so unsatisfactory answer. Have you looked at the pictures? No, but engineers say the problem is not viewable from normal viewing distances. Oh boy, they did not test the VGA side. I ask them to have the engineers duplicate the test I did. Response is that I need to send my unit in so they can duplicate the issue. I tell him they can duplicate the issue with any 9500 ever made and I am not sending mine in. They say that is the solution for me so I ask to escalate my complaint.

3. OK, now we are at the Coporate Customer Care level and I am speaking with a nice lady who has no technical expertise whatsoever and readily admits it but promises to look into things. I describe all above and she promises to call back within the hour. Calls back and basically says Acer engineering has not received any complaints on this and therefore they want me to send my unit in to verify the issue since my unit must be faulty. Pulls hair out now and explains that they do not need my unit, any unit will display this. Nope, I need to send mine in and they will look at it. Grrrr, let me talk to your supervisor. Nope, you are at the end of Acer customer care. Really ma'am? Yessir. Nobody else to talk to about this. No sir, we have offered to look at your unit and if you elect not to have it checked this case is closed. I tell her that I am not done here and have other avenues to pursue and she wishes me a good day.

4. Now I am calling Acer corporate HQs looking to speak with Mark Groveunder, the VP of customer service. This proves to not be an easy task. You simply cannot speak with a VP anytime you want and I know that. So I go through insulation levels and describe why I wish to speak with him. I get transferred to Customer Care at Acer HQ who does not know my last Corporate rep and knows about as much about the issue as the last one did but assured me that she would address my complaint that I supposedly could not make about the last end of the line Corporate Customer Support rep. She listened to my complaint and said it would be sent for internal review among the Acer staff to evaluate including the URL here. I say fine, when can I look to hear back or will you be contacting me? I am told to check the Acer website for updates. WTH Really? I tell her that I am not happy with that and if they cannot do any better I will go to every website selling this projecter and give a bad review and not recommend the unit until I hear news from Acer to the contrary. Well she was not happy with that at all so that made two of us but she could not promise me a response so she said I could call back and check.

Now this post is getting windy so you see how my day went. Try to help a company sell projectors. Sheesh. I will post up my solution here next but I need to take a break and have a beer and cool off as I am getting worked up again over the sheer stupidity of how I wasted too much of my day today.

Wow. Just Wow..

I was thinking may be some heavy weight is needed. For example if we convince Evan Powell or Art about this issue and request them to pursue it with Acer or at least mention it. May be they have a reach.. Just my 2c.
post #2510 of 4744 Old 04-19-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow. That's a ton of work. You could always send this to Art and some other projector reviewers. That might get something going

Man.. Two thieves think similar huh..
post #2511 of 4744 Old 04-19-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Man.. Two thieves think similar huh..

Same time too.

Hey, I'm all in for a good tussle. I just sold my big camcorder that I do all my freelance shooting with (in order to upgrade) for $3600 on amazon last month, they took their nice $280 cut, then they initiated their "account review" and told me they would hold my funds until the 30 day review was over. Even though i've sold for a couple of years and never had a return or a negative feedback.

Apparently if you only sell small stuff, this doesn't usually happen but if you get a lot of returns or pass about the $800 mark, they automatically do this. Three days before the review was up, they "suspended" my account and told me it would be an additional 15 days.

I emailed them, spoke on the phone, sent my tracking number info, (buyer received the camera three and a 1/2 weeks ago and I have proof) all useless. I have googled this and it seems they do this to almost everyone at some point. They can then close your seller account and keep your money for 90 days, (in case the buyer decides he is unhappy with the item, he actually gets 90 days) and then if wants a refund, they will give him one and he doesn't even have to send the camera back!! There are some horror stories.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/internet...-blo-7c286.htm

http://amazonstolemymoney.blogspot.c...max-results=50

So I am out the money best case another few weeks, worse case, 2 more months or absolute WORST case if the buyer wants a refund and doesn't ship it back.

So yeah, I'm all for challenging some companies.

Sorry for the rant, guys.
post #2512 of 4744 Old 04-19-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys, all is not lost. You see the problem with information is that it is useless in the wrong hands. I just need to get the information to the right people. That is my problem. I am reminded of what Donald Rumsfeld said post 911 which had me in Uzbekistan in no time flat back in 2001. That is another story but the knows says it all. I will post what is not a direct quote but the best I can which I believe summarizes the problem.

The Knows:

There are things that we know we know.
There are things that we know we do not know.
There are things that we do not know that we do not know.

That is the gist of it and Acer does not know what they do not know. Those are the most dangerous knows because you have no clue. I want to move to the we know that problem exists but we need to get the attention of the proper people, not folks who just placate a customer as best they can and then talk bad about them to their colleagues such as "can you believe how long it took me to get rid of that guy?" Yes, I am all but sure that is what happened because I have been around long enough and I know when I speak at a level above someone's head in customer service they simply want to get rid of me. How much you want to bet Acer Marketing and Sales would be interested in how they could sell at least 2x the units they are now, if not more?

For now I cannot recommend anyone buy this unit until Acer owns this and fixes it. Sorry if you bought one based on my recommendation before but you are still fine. It will still do what it does but it can be better. You don't know it until you see it.

My next step is to ask every owner who has registered their unit with Acer to call tech support and request they fix this issue. You do not even have to have tested this as far as I am concerned, just mention case#1505588U and say you are put out with how this matter was handled especially since I was not looking for anything from Acer except to make the unit better for all of us and help Acer sales. Also try to demand this matter be fixed via user update firmware and not sending the unit in.

As a reminder, the BenQ W7000 had this exact same problem. They are on the verge of correcting it via firmware. That leaves the Acer as the only one with the issue. This from a computer manufacturer. C'mon man.

After all this, I will besmirch the unit at every site that sells it until Acer fixes the issue. Try to help someone out, that'll teach me.
post #2513 of 4744 Old 04-19-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

If you want it fixed that badly...

I would try writing a carefully worded letter and getting some "digital signatures" from forum members that own this projector that can confirm the issue. Reference the thread here, etc... Mail it directly to Acer America, multiple sales offices and technical offices. Send 5-10 copies to different sales and corporate addresses addressed to different people (some generic).

I would also recommend everyone writing reviews on the main sites (amazon, Tiger, NEwegg), something like:
"Slight pixel blurring issue for HDMI over PC connection, waiting for Acer to fix it, 2 stars until then"...

If enough reviews are posted, then once the visibility is high enough, Acer may eventually take action, but Acer is not generally known to be a take immediate action kind of company on these types of issues, that's one reason they are cheaper. They may in fact fix it, it just may take several months, who knows.

Just another way of trying to contact them, although your phone method may eventually work as well (not sure).

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #2514 of 4744 Old 04-19-2012, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Wow. Just Wow..

I was thinking may be some heavy weight is needed. For example if we convince Evan Powell or Art about this issue and request them to pursue it with Acer or at least mention it. May be they have a reach.. Just my 2c.

They do not appear to operate that way. Acer seems to respond to owner complaints. If there are not enough of them then they all but dismiss yours and ask that you send your unit in because you are the only one. That is a support protocol thing. Anybody not getting where I am going? Call them up and insist that they test the complaint under case# 1505588U. As for myself, I promise I will continue to try to get through to someone who understands what I am talking about and can appreciate the impact. Thanks.
post #2515 of 4744 Old 04-19-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:

Hey guys, all is not lost. You see the problem with information is that it is useless in the wrong hands. I just need to get the information to the right people. That is my problem. I am reminded of what Donald Rumsfeld said post 911 which had me in Uzbekistan in no time flat back in 2001. That is another story but the knows says it all. I will post what is not a direct quote but the best I can which I believe summarizes the problem.

The Knows:

There are things that we know we know.
There are things that we know we do not know.
There are things that we do not know that we do not know.

That is the gist of it and Acer does not know what they do not know. Those are the most dangerous knows because you have no clue. I want to move to the we know that problem exists but we need to get the attention of the proper people, not folks who just placate a customer as best they can and then talk bad about them to their colleagues such as "can you believe how long it took me to get rid of that guy?" Yes, I am all but sure that is what happened because I have been around long enough and I know when I speak at a level above someone's head in customer service they simply want to get rid of me. How much you want to bet Acer Marketing and Sales would be interested in how they could sell at least 2x the units they are now, if not more?

For now I cannot recommend anyone buy this unit until Acer owns this and fixes it. Sorry if you bought one based on my recommendation before but you are still fine. It will still do what it does but it can be better. You don't know it until you see it.

My next step is to ask every owner who has registered their unit with Acer to call tech support and request they fix this issue. You do not even have to have tested this as far as I am concerned, just mention case#1505588U and say you are put out with how this matter was handled especially since I was not looking for anything from Acer except to make the unit better for all of us and help Acer sales. Also try to demand this matter be fixed via user update firmware and not sending the unit in.

As a reminder, the BenQ W7000 had this exact same problem. They are on the verge of correcting it via firmware. That leaves the Acer as the only one with the issue. This from a computer manufacturer. C'mon man.

After all this, I will besmirch the unit at every site that sells it until Acer fixes the issue. Try to help someone out, that'll teach me.

If Acer has no engineering budget dedicated to revisions of this projector then there is little chance of getting this fixed even if the people who could fix it know about it.
post #2516 of 4744 Old 04-19-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post

If Acer has no engineering budget dedicated to revisions of this projector then there is little chance of getting this fixed even if the people who could fix it know about it.

Well then we will either get a fix or expose them eh?
post #2517 of 4744 Old 04-19-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

The fix was most likely fairly simple, Benq fixed it so fast once the right person was aware of the problem. It is probably a matter of a simple coding translation adjustment on how it reads the signal.
I'm sure they will probably fix it if he can get it in front of the right person, scattering letters to a company sometimes works, the problem is these companies engineering are often mostly based overseas.

Many of these companies started overseas and sold products in the US, then opened up American divisions as the companies grew larger, but their engineering is often still primarily based overseas, so there is a disconnect between foreign corporate office, us corporate office, us engineering, and foreign engineering.

post #2518 of 4744 Old 04-19-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Coderguy, I do not disagree with anything you have said. I need all 9500 owners to complain to Acer about this or there will never be a fix. It costs you nothing.
post #2519 of 4744 Old 04-19-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They do not appear to operate that way. Acer seems to respond to owner complaints. If there are not enough of them then they all but dismiss yours and ask that you send your unit in because you are the only one. That is a support protocol thing. Anybody not getting where I am going? Call them up and insist that they test the complaint under case# 1505588U. As for myself, I promise I will continue to try to get through to someone who understands what I am talking about and can appreciate the impact. Thanks.

Perhaps ratings to high volume sellers will have an impact. Here's my review on Amazon....I did call Tier 2 to complain, but never heard back and wasn't quite as stubborn as our friend Mike. TigerDirect is next....

(Two stars)

I like the projector, but Acer seems completely uninterested in fixing known issues. BenQ, on the other hand, doesn't. There is blurring via the HDMI inputs on the Acer and it appears it would be relatively simple to fix it (BenQ takes the problem seriously and has worked to address it). Before buying this projector, I strongly suggest you read about the problems which Acer refuses to acknowledge on the AVS Forum (The Official Acer H9500BD Thread). It's a long thread, so I'd focus on Pages 81 on). I don't want to discourage you from buying a projector; I just want you to buy one from a company which provides adequate technical/engineering support.

The projector has a lot of potential and, with a little work on Acer's part, I would have no problem giving it four or five stars (especially considering the price). For the time being, please do your homework before spending the 15-17 hundred dollars necessary to purchase a projector of any kind.

post #2520 of 4744 Old 04-19-2012, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

PS...As this is a presidential election year, I'd like to take this opportunity to give a long winded presidential speech mimickng the late, great, Pat Paulsen when he made a serious run at the presidency...."vote for me" (on Amazon).

Cheers....

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Projectors , Acer H9500bd 3d 1080p Home Theater Projector , Optoma Kt4348 3d Ready Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page