post #2641 of 4744 Old 05-04-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post

You aren't going to frelling believe what I'm going through with online support right now, but I DID pry out the fact that there is a release A07, but they can't give me the release date or what it addresses......

Looking bleak....I'll bet the rev they gave me is the scaler version you sent me......

Home Theater: Acer H9500BD 3D Projector, 120" Elite Screen, Sony BDP-S780 3D Blu-Ray Player, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround

Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" 3D DLP, Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-Ray Player, Harmon Kardon AVR 5.1, Polk Audio 5.1 Surround
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2642 of 4744 Old 05-04-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looking bleak....I'll bet the rev they gave me is the scaler version you sent me......

Interesting last comment by Acer....this was a SMALL snippet of the chat....

Karen C: Yes, you have a case already on this issue and the case number is 1630727U
InCali: So, who do I contact to get an answer?
Karen C: Unfortunately, we do not have that information about the firmware what it address. This information is not posted as stated we will need to bring it in to address the issue.
InCali: Who doesn't have the information? Someone HAS to have it. Are you saying they can't tell anyone what the latest rev is? Is the rev number a company secret or something?
Karen C: We have the number but we do not have information what it addresses. The version is A07
InCali: OK. Great. The version is A07. Can I find out if there was a previous version and when this one was released?
InCali: A06??? :-)
Karen C: As stated I have provided all the information that I have on this issue. The previous version was A06 I do not have release dates.
InCali: Is there no one who can answer my question about release dates? I understand that this isn't something you have, but someone has to know.
Karen C: Unfortunately, I'm not sure we can give you this information
Karen C: Did you want to setup the repair?
InCali: who is sure whether the info can be given?
Karen C: I do not have that information
InCali: I understand. I'm trying to find out who does......
Karen C: You can check back with us later and maybe we will have more information to provide on the update
InCali: You want me to check back with the same people who don't have the information now? That is clearly not going to help. Is there another tier of support I can contact?
Karen C: No, the is the highest tier. You can check back and maybe we will have more information at that time
InCali: Will someone look into this specifically or am I hoping the info will filter in by osmosis?
Karen C: Yes, we will check into this
InCali: who should I ask for?
Karen C: You can contact again in chat everyone knows about the 9500 blurring issue
InCali: OK. Thanks.

Home Theater: Acer H9500BD 3D Projector, 120" Elite Screen, Sony BDP-S780 3D Blu-Ray Player, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround

Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" 3D DLP, Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-Ray Player, Harmon Kardon AVR 5.1, Polk Audio 5.1 Surround
post #2643 of 4744 Old 05-04-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Interesting last comment by Acer....this was a SMALL snippet of the chat....

Karen C: Yes, you have a case already on this issue and the case number is 1630727U
InCali: So, who do I contact to get an answer?
Karen C: Unfortunately, we do not have that information about the firmware what it address. This information is not posted as stated we will need to bring it in to address the issue.
InCali: Who doesn't have the information? Someone HAS to have it. Are you saying they can't tell anyone what the latest rev is? Is the rev number a company secret or something?
Karen C: We have the number but we do not have information what it addresses. The version is A07
InCali: OK. Great. The version is A07. Can I find out if there was a previous version and when this one was released?
InCali: A06??? :-)
Karen C: As stated I have provided all the information that I have on this issue. The previous version was A06 I do not have release dates.
InCali: Is there no one who can answer my question about release dates? I understand that this isn't something you have, but someone has to know.
InCali: who is sure whether the info can be given?
Karen C: I do not have that information
InCali: I understand. I'm trying to find out who does......
Karen C: You can check back with us later and maybe we will have more information to provide on the update
InCali: You want me to check back with the same people who don't have the information now? That is clearly not going to help. Is there another tier of support I can contact?
Karen C: No, the is the highest tier. You can check back and maybe we will have more information at that time
InCali: Will someone look into this specifically or am I hoping the info will filter in by osmosis?
Karen C: Yes, we will check into this
InCali: who should I ask for?
Karen C: You can contact again in chat everyone knows about the 9500 blurring issue

LMAO. Glad I am not the only one who gets dead ended by them. Pretty frustrating eh? I am still waiting for Ryan to call me back. I am sure this is taking a while because he knows the questions I am going to ask and is probably doing everything he can to have the answers, or he took the day off and my voice mail will sit there until next week. One of those two scenarios. Everyone knows about the blurring issues now according to them though they have yet to acknowledge it to me.
post #2644 of 4744 Old 05-04-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

LMAO. Glad I am not the only one who gets dead ended by them. Pretty frustrating eh? I am still waiting for Ryan to call me back. I am sure this is taking a while because he knows the questions I am going to ask and is probably doing everything he can to have the answers, or he took the day off and my voice mail will sit there until next week. One of those two scenarios. Everyone knows about the blurring issues now according to them though they have yet to acknowledge it to me.

Glad you found it amusing. I, on the otherhand, was definitely "not" laughing at the time.

post #2645 of 4744 Old 05-04-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

As I previously stated, the latest FW is not A07 and here is a picture of mine as proof. If you speak with Acer and they do not have anything newer than that then I don't believe there is any reason to send the unit in. Anyone with any firmware newer than A08?

Man, I should have put in and paused a cool good looking BD movie scene instead of letting the History Channel run along in the background. It looks pretty lame.
post #2646 of 4744 Old 05-04-2012, 12:12 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Lol. You all do realize this is the same company that took three months to provide 3d glasses to its customers right ? And now we are asking for this type of fix? While I hope it happens I am not holding my breath. I think it is safe to say that Acers support is some of the worst in the consumer electronics industry. All the way from their phone/chat support to the numerous accounts of repairs actually resulting in worse problems. Not sure I will buy anything else from them.
post #2647 of 4744 Old 05-04-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As I previously stated, the latest FW is not A07 and here is a picture of mine as proof. If you speak with Acer and they do not have anything newer than that then I don't believe there is any reason to send the unit in. Anyone with any firmware newer than A08?

Man, I should have put in and paused a cool good looking BD movie scene instead of letting the History Channel run along in the background. It looks pretty lame.

I have no idea what all these revs mean. If there's anyone who does, please chime in. Are we talking about the Scaler rev?? Is that the key one? I'm going to call deez mudder fuggers (a translation from a Basque friend of mine) back and show them that they gave me the wrong info if we're talking the Scaler rev.

The Acer picture is really good. Speaking of good pictures, if you liked Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, etc. and grew up reading comics, like Sci-Fi and so on, you'll certainly like The Avengers. It's gonna be really, really big....a line outside the theater door for a 1:15 Friday afternoon show.......haven't seen that for awhile unless it's summertime or other time away from school.

post #2648 of 4744 Old 05-04-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:

That is the funniest part ("everyone knows about it...")...
That conversation was funny, but you were a bit harassing, but I understand :P

I just think it's funny the way the conversation went in circles about how they might know but they cannot say, they might be able to say, but they don't know for sure if they can say, or they might know and they might say if you contact them later, but they ALL KNOW about the blurring issue!!!

Pretty funny indeed...

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #2649 of 4744 Old 05-04-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

That is the funniest part ("everyone knows about it...")...
That conversation was funny, but you were a bit harassing, but I understand :P

I just think it's funny the way the conversation went in circles about how they might know but they cannot say, they might be able to say, but they don't know for sure if they can say, or they might know and they might say if you contact them later, but they ALL KNOW about the blurring issue!!!

Pretty funny indeed...

Yeah I have to agree. It was good to see someone else dance with them for a change. Dancing in circles never getting anywhere and right back where you started. I do not think he was harassing at all. He is the customer looking for a resolution and not getting anywhere. Maybe he can appreciate my so called "crusade" now because it is not even so much about the picture anymore, it is about someone blowing me off and not letting me talk to who I need to. I am the customer and my requests should be dealt with. It seems the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing at Acer, but I will continue and eventually get in touch with someone who has a clue.

Quote:

I have no idea what all these revs mean. If there's anyone who does, please chime in. Are we talking about the Scaler rev?? Is that the key one? I'm going to call deez mudder fuggers (a translation from a Basque friend of mine) back and show them that they gave me the wrong info if we're talking the Scaler rev.

The Acer picture is really good. Speaking of good pictures, if you liked Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, etc. and grew up reading comics, like Sci-Fi and so on, you'll certainly like The Avengers. It's gonna be really, really big....a line outside the theater door for a 1:15 Friday afternoon show.......haven't seen that for awhile unless it's summertime or other time away from school.

Yep, my recent pictures and their response seem to indicate that the Scaler Revision is the firmware and the date next to it is the usual dead giveaway. My son went to that movie last night and said it was better than the Batman series. That is huge for him to say because he did not grow up reading comics.

Now give them farking iceholes what they have coming InCali. I plan to have their bells in a sling those bastages. (Johnny Dangerously)
post #2650 of 4744 Old 05-04-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:

Y
Yep, my recent pictures and their response seem to indicate that the Scaler Revision is the firmware and the date next to it is the usual dead giveaway.

11/11/11... huh..
post #2651 of 4744 Old 05-04-2012, 10:55 PM

Liked: 10
Hi, instead of buying a new lamp for my projector sharp xvz 20000, I'm using the money to buy a dlp 3d projector but reading issues about sharpness makes me think twice. Will i miss the sharpness of my old projector? is the 2d to 3d that good? got lots of blu ray movies and would like to watch it again using the 2d to 3d conversion of acer or should i just buy the benq w7000 instead? but no 2d to 3d conversion.
post #2652 of 4744 Old 05-05-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yu.eugene View Post

Hi, instead of buying a new lamp for my projector sharp xvz 20000, I'm using the money to buy a dlp 3d projector but reading issues about sharpness makes me think twice. Will i miss the sharpness of my old projector? is the 2d to 3d that good? got lots of blu ray movies and would like to watch it again using the 2d to 3d conversion of acer or should i just buy the benq w7000 instead? but no 2d to 3d conversion.

I had a Sanyo PLV Z2000 (1080P) and I can state unequivocally that the Acer is better in every way I can think of. It's brighter, the colors aren't as muted, the picture is sharper, etc. If you read closely (most recently by Mike), you'll see we all agree that it's a good projector. The thing that sort of sticks in the craw of some of our members who, to put it diplomatically, tend towards being a perfectionist, is that we all know that it can be even better.

If you are looking at test patterns via the HDMI port, you can see some pixel blurring. I don't notice it when I watch cable or blu ray. The picture looks clear and sharp. Would it look better with a firmware fix similar to the one BenQ came up with? Probably, but I can't say for sure whether or not because it doesn't exist. Zombie 10K saw a marked improvement post fix on his BenQ.

As reported earlier, some movies look good with the 2D-3D conversion and some not so good. I think one of the assumptions is that things that are lower in the screen are closer. When they aren't, it looks really odd. The scene that sticks in my mind is where this woman was standing there and her wrists were at the bottom of the screen. Her arms looked like they bent outwards towards you (creepy spider arms). X Men First Class looked really good for parts I watched. I don't use it much because I tend to watch movies that were designed for 2D in 2D.

What I would do is call Acer and try to get a sales person. Tell them that this HDMI blurring is all over the internet and you are thinking about getting the BenQ because their engineers actually fixed the same problem in the projector with a firmware upgrade (which BenQ planned on doing from the start - Read Art's review of the BenQ).

As far as what you should buy, I can't be of any help there. The BenQ is noticeably more expensive (I think around $700-900 depending on when you buy and from whom you buy) and that was why I went with the Acer. From what I've read, the pictures are somewhat comparable (might be pre-BenQ fix reviews???). You'll like the Acer's picture. I can pretty much guarantee that (though I've heard some people don't like DLP).

One other thing. I had some out of the box reliability issues and so have some others. I had to go through three projectors before I got one that worked right. To be clear THERE ARE RELIABLE PROJECTORS OUT THERE. You just have to find them. I saw getting the replacements as part of the cost of saving money and was happy to put in the few hours (no shipping costs) it took to get a new projector. I found working with TigerDirect very easy. I just called Acer, got a case number for the problem, called Tiger, got an RMA, and purchased a new one (it's quicker that way as they will ship immediately instead of waiting for your old unit to get to them before shipping). You get a full credit on your purchase when they receive the old unit. I don't "think" you can do that with New Egg as I read somewhere that their policy is replacement only.

I did a burn in of my third projector (left it on for 24 hours straight a few times just to stress test it) and everything works fine. I don't think it is likely to fail. It cost me a little on lamp life, but it was something I was willing to pay for in order to push the projector and see how it held up. I had a situation where the projector shut down and believe it was due to a voltage build up. What you need to do is unplug everything and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. It drains everything and goes back to the factory defaults. It has only happened once and I use this thing a LOT.

Hope this helps, but if you go with the Acer, please try to touch base with their sales staff (don't know if that's easy or feasible) and tell them everyone is talking about this problem.

post #2653 of 4744 Old 05-05-2012, 02:33 PM

Liked: 13
Mine I would venture to say is a reliable unit. I have 313 system hours. I did a system reset awhile back because I was playing with the iris settings in the hidden menu along with other things and wanted to get back to original settings that I long since forgotten. So lamp hours should read closer to 313 hours then the 189 displayed. I have had no shut downs or other issue's, very happy with my projector.
Still get Ooohs and AHHHs from people walking past my room with the door open and games/movies showing. Had a few over watching Avatar in 3D and they where floored by the image and 3D experience. 100" screen seated 6-7 feet away and Avatar playing you really get the experience in my opinion and the opinion of people who have watched it with me.
LL
post #2654 of 4744 Old 05-05-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had a Sanyo PLV Z2000 (1080P) and I can state unequivocally that the Acer is better in every way I can think of. It's brighter, the colors aren't as muted, the picture is sharper, etc. If you read closely (most recently by Mike), you'll see we all agree that it's a good projector. The thing that sort of sticks in the craw of some of our members who, to put it diplomatically, tend towards being a perfectionist, is that we all know that it can be even better.

I second that. In my case though I have kept Z2000 to watch the 2D and non-bluray content. And H9500BD for 3D show off

Quote:

As reported earlier, some movies look good with the 2D-3D conversion and some not so good. I think one of the assumptions is that things that are lower in the screen are closer. When they aren't, it looks really odd. The scene that sticks in my mind is where this woman was standing there and her wrists were at the bottom of the screen. Her arms looked like they bent outwards towards you (creepy spider arms). X Men First Class looked really good for parts I watched. I don't use it much because I tend to watch movies that were designed for 2D in 2D.

I think the 3D native (not 2D to 3D) is still evolving. Two things I noticed in particular that needs some work to do to improvise it that are

1. In close-up shots if the camera is focused on farther subject, the subject closer to you is de-focused and appears blurry (or vice versa) Our brain sees things in focus (or at least that is our perception) no matter what distance they are at.

2. The scale at the long shots seem weird. The objects look smaller than what the brain expects them to be.

We are getting there..
post #2655 of 4744 Old 05-05-2012, 06:43 PM

THanks Incali and to other members as well for showing me the complete picture about the sharpness issue and the 2d to 3d conversion capability of acer. comming from a very sharp dlp projector xvz20000, I'm afraid I'll notice the subtle blurring issue.
post #2656 of 4744 Old 05-05-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

THanks Incali and to other members as well for showing me the complete picture about the sharpness issue and the 2d to 3d conversion capability of acer. comming from a very sharp dlp projector xvz20000, I'm afraid I'll notice the subtle blurring issue.

You just might, but then you will be better than professional reviewers. The unit is that good with video that many are hard pressed to see it. It is almost not even there. You have to look for it. I am the first one to say you will see this blurring with test images and a PC desktop image. After that, for video viewing you better have a very sharp eye and equipment. A very sharp eye because it looks very good, probably better than your current unit. The only way I saw it was meticulous comparisons and the difference was noticeable, but small. My family hates me for this because I suck the fun out of movie viewing according to them and they all say it spanks my 8350. That is what I want to say. I would love to recommend the unit but if you use it for PC desktop viewing you will hate me. For movie viewing it is the bomb. Very good and close to being all it can be.
post #2657 of 4744 Old 05-05-2012, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post

I second that. In my case though I have kept Z2000 to watch the 2D and non-bluray content. And H9500BD for 3D show off

I think the 3D native (not 2D to 3D) is still evolving. Two things I noticed in particular that needs some work to do to improvise it that are

1. In close-up shots if the camera is focused on farther subject, the subject closer to you is de-focused and appears blurry (or vice versa) Our brain sees things in focus (or at least that is our perception) no matter what distance they are at.

2. The scale at the long shots seem weird. The objects look smaller than what the brain expects them to be.

We are getting there..

Have you watched "Hugo" in 3D? I was completely blown away by the cinematography...blown away....as I've said before. Conversions will never look as good as something shot in 3D and 3D shot by someone who really knows what they're doing will always be a cut above.

"Hugo" was (from an artistic perspective) just outstanding work.

I wonder if there's someone out there who can compare the BenQ (post firmware update) and the Acer. I'd like to read that.....

post #2658 of 4744 Old 05-06-2012, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I wish Zombie had an Acer on hand, but he is limited to what AVS provided him and the ones he bought. I may still contact each MFR as a reviewer and get some reviewer units ordered one day, but it's a lot of trouble at the moment since I have other projects going on. Also to get the reviewer units, you sometimes have to wait a long time for others in the reviewer chain to finish (there are usually a very limited number of reviewer units floating around).

I love reviewing projectors and trying new equipment, but it's just a lot of time and work to get setup with every MFR as a reviewer (at least for now as I have other projects ongoing).

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #2659 of 4744 Old 05-06-2012, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you watched "Hugo" in 3D? I was completely blown away by the cinematography...blown away....as I've said before. Conversions will never look as good as something shot in 3D and 3D shot by someone who really knows what they're doing will always be a cut above.

"Hugo" was (from an artistic perspective) just outstanding work.

I wonder if there's someone out there who can compare the BenQ (post firmware update) and the Acer. I'd like to read that.....

Yes. I did was Hugo 3D. No doubt, it is made outstanding.

What was am talking about is what needs to be improved further in the perspective of 3D technology itself, so that it matches esactly what our brain is used to seeing.
post #2660 of 4744 Old 05-06-2012, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You may very well want to change your mind with regard to not buying the Acer.....I have some very good news for everybody (just hope it's true).

Read on....from Art Feierman and submitted word by word as he requested.

OK, I've got something for you. A bit of clarity.

BTW I did send in excerpts (that you sent) of that conversation with Acer support.

I have heard back from one of my contacts - a manager at Acer - can't say which. , They provided me with a genuine quotable statement from Acer, which they said I could publish and share. That means you can quote this as it appears below, on the forums. I would but I'm just so slammed I won't be on the forums again for days. I will try to add to the Acer review and blog about it in the next few days. Meantime, I pass the "baton" to you: Please do not say that this is from Acer - IF you change any of the wording. But if you post it word for word, definitely point out it came from Acer management:

"...I learned today that the HDMI blurring issue can be fixed with a firmware update, which is being developed right now. It should be available by end of month (May). I'll send the link to it on the Acer Support Site once it's posted. Thanks again for bringing this issue to my attention!"

(I added the bolds and inserted the (May) for clarification. I bolded the really important points.

I will post a link as well in my review, when they tell me "the fix is in."

This should calm some folks down... And, as I don't have much experience with Acer, it's nice to see they seem to be reacting the way a good company should, once everyone there is communicating.

-art

Art Feierman
Editor and President
Projector Reviews, Inc.

post #2661 of 4744 Old 05-06-2012, 06:32 PM

Wow! Great news! And I just received the replacement unit from Newegg. No problems with this one. Seems to have that DLP pop I've heard so much about. So far, so good. Looks like I'll be updating my reviews soon.
post #2662 of 4744 Old 05-06-2012, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You may very well want to change your mind with regard to not buying the Acer.....I have some very good news for everybody (just hope it's true).

BTW I did send in excerpts (that you sent) of that conversation with Acer support.

I have heard back from one of my contacts - a manager at Acer - can't say which. , They provided me with a genuine quotable statement from Acer, which they said I could publish and share. That means you can quote this as it appears below, on the forums. I would but I'm just so slammed I won't be on the forums again for days. I will try to add to the Acer review and blog about it in the next few days. Meantime, I pass the "baton" to you: Please do not say that this is from Acer - IF you change any of the wording. But if you post it word for word, definitely point out it came from Acer management:

"...I learned today that the HDMI blurring issue can be fixed with a firmware update, which is being developed right now. It should be available by end of month (May). I'll send the link to it on the Acer Support Site once it's posted. Thanks again for bringing this issue to my attention!"

(I added the bolds and inserted the (May) for clarification. I bolded the really important points.

This should calm some folks down... And, as I don't have much experience with Acer, it's nice to see they seem to be reacting the way a good company should, once everyone there is communicating.

-art

Art Feierman
Editor and President
Projector Reviews, Inc.

Where's Mike?
Or is he already 4-5 shots (of you know what) down?
post #2663 of 4744 Old 05-06-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elseven View Post

Wow! Great news! And I just received the replacement unit from Newegg. No problems with this one. Seems to have that DLP pop I've heard so much about. So far, so good. Looks like I'll be updating my reviews soon.

According to my chat with the Acer Tier 2 support person, this will mean sending in your projector.

I think it'll be worth it, but I'd like to see some pixel by pixel photos.

Good news to be sure, but we'll have to jump through some hoops.

post #2664 of 4744 Old 05-06-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

According to my chat with the Acer Tier 2 support person, this will mean sending in your projector.

I think it'll be worth it, but I'd like to see some pixel by pixel photos.

Good news to be sure, but we'll have to jump through some hoops.

On Page-41 of the manual they have described USB connector for firmware upgrade... (Or to make it usable for firmware upgrade it might need a firmware upgrade..)

Anyways.. Let's wait and see..
post #2665 of 4744 Old 05-06-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:

-art

Art Feierman
Editor and President
Projector Reviews, Inc.

Great news, hope we don't have to send in the projectors to get it. Remember end of May in Acer time migth mean end of August...
post #2666 of 4744 Old 05-07-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post

Great news, hope we don't have to send in the projectors to get it. Remember end of May in Acer time migth mean end of August...

Unfortunately, it appears we'll have to send the units in (See Karen C's first answer below). As far as Acer time being somewhat similar to Santa Cruz time, Acer probably doesn't manufacture the glasses and was waiting on a third party vendor (I hope......). I'm betting there might be some delay, but I'd bet that it won't be too substantial (Given that the info Art got is correct). We shall see....

Lindey Cloud: How can I find out if "I" have the latest update?
Lindey Cloud: And whether or not the "latest update" specifically fixes the HDMI blurring issue?
Karen C: It will need to be checked at the repair center. We do not have the diagnostic codes to provide to check what update your currently have nor do we have the steps
Lindey Cloud: Someone has to have this information. I want to find out what the latest rev is, how to check what rev I have, and if the latest rev specifically addresses the issue of HDMI blurring....
Lindey Cloud: Not trying to give you a hard time....can I open a case to find out the info?
Lindey Cloud: So, who do I contact to get an answer?
Lindey Cloud: Who doesn't have the information? Someone HAS to have it. Are you saying they can't tell anyone what the latest rev is? Is the rev number a company secret or something?
Lindey Cloud: OK. Great. The version is A07. Can I find out if there was a previous version and when this one was released?
Lindey Cloud: A06??? :-)
Lindey Cloud: Is there no one who can answer my question about release dates? I understand that this isn't something you have, but someone has to know.

post #2667 of 4744 Old 05-07-2012, 06:58 AM

Can we hope that the new firmware will fix the sbs tearing in 1080p too?
post #2668 of 4744 Old 05-07-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicone_fr View Post

Can we hope that the new firmware will fix the sbs tearing in 1080p too?

Don't know, but it's a good question. Please describe when you experience the problem and I'll see what I can find out. I've read some comments about it, but have never experienced it myself. I seem to recall it was related to 3D gaming???

post #2669 of 4744 Old 05-07-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Okay guys, time for a break from the Acer grinding, don't you think?

I realize that it takes some degree of grinding to get a company to respond to problems, especially minor ones. (And make no mistake: this is a minor problem.) Expecting Customer Service staff to be up to speed on every little technical aspect of every product they have to juggle is somewhat unrealistic. When CS staff doesn't seem to breathe the same air of urgency that "perfectionist" enthusiasts do, it's a bit of a reach to bash their product on Customer Review sites. Unless one feels that you're really being jobbed and ripped off, a more appropriate reaction might be to confine "venting" to sites like this one.

The venting may continue if and when owners are required to send their units in for upgrade rather than merely upload one. That's not an unreasonable price to pay for perfectionists, is it? When Kuros came out, I wonder how many Pioneer owners gnashed their teeth that their $4K displays couldn't be "upgraded" to a Kuro.

While I'm at it -- no, I don't work for Acer, but I have stayed in the Engineering Holiday Inn a few times -- it might also be relevant to keep another factor in mind: Acer is (or at least, has been) a company that focuses almost exclusively on computer, not home entertainment, products, as many reviewers have pointed out. This may explain/excuse why their PC input works "better" than HDMI, as it is of less interest to TV and movie people than Power Point users who are their primary customers.

Similarly, I expect that the 3-D and CFI functions were likely almost an afterthought -- "oh, this is for Home Theater now, so we'd better put that in too." So it is not surprising that Acer did not anticipate the degree of interest aroused in the Home Theater community by the H9500BD, and therefore was caught a little short with the supply of 3-D viewing glasses.

Okay, that's probably enough Counterpoint for now.
post #2670 of 4744 Old 05-07-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:

Don't know, but it's a good question. Please describe when you experience the problem and I'll see what I can find out. I've read some comments about it, but have never experienced it myself. I seem to recall it was related to 3D gaming???

No, I don't use my projector to play.
When I watch a video in side by side (left/right) in 1080p (any frequency), the 3d picture is teared.
This issue doesn't appear in 1080i or 720p and it doesn't appear with top/bottom videos even in 1080p.
You can download some samples here:

http://www.freehd3d.info/index.php?o...id=4&Itemid=92
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Projectors , Acer H9500bd 3d 1080p Home Theater Projector , Optoma Kt4348 3d Ready Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page