Epson 3010 vs Optoma HD33 - A user's perspective - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 366 Old 10-29-2011, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by evnow View Post

How is the brightness of 3010 comapred to 33 ?

ps : I'm hoping to see someone compare to Acer H9500BD as well. That seems to have the best of both 3010 & HD33 - DLP with Iris and even has a Lens Shift !

I found HD33 very bright both in 2D and 3D

3010 is every more brighter....good for day time viewing as well. I may have to get a ND2 filter if I cant tolerate it (as of now I have no issues with this higher brightness)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 366 Old 10-29-2011, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

I found HD33 very bright both in 2D and 3D.

I find HD3300 not bright enough in 3D (for eg. outdoor shots don't look "sunny"). How much brighter is 3010 compared to 33 in 3D ?

Enjoying Nissan Leaf as the primary car for over 6 months : MyNissanLeaf.com
post #33 of 366 Old 10-29-2011, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

Just saw that, I may put my order in later this afternoon after I read through the thread. I like that it has 2D > 3D capabilities even though it is usually worthless on most units.

How many 3D projectors are you going to buy?

post #34 of 366 Old 10-29-2011, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I find HD3300 not bright enough in 3D (for eg. outdoor shots don't look "sunny"). How much brighter is 3010 compared to 33 in 3D ?

unfortunately i cant give you measurements, but i can tell its very bright even in Cinema mode (supposed for dark room). If you still want more lumens, 3010 has a "living room" mode which will knock your socks off.

also i found Optoma-DLP-link glasses are much darker than the Epson glasses...which contributes to lowered lumens but of course you get deep blacks.

epson glasses are significantly lighter in shade and the image brightness in 3D is as good as 2D because of this
post #35 of 366 Old 10-29-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:

unfortunately i cant give you measurements, but i can tell its very bright even in Cinema mode (supposed for dark room). If you still want more lumens, 3010 has a "living room" mode which will knock your socks off.

Are those modes available even in 3D ?

post #36 of 366 Old 10-29-2011, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:

Yes, you can crank up the lumens for 3D. Dynamic mode for 3D would be the brightest mode for 3D.
post #37 of 366 Old 10-29-2011, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for this write up! I am really struggling to decide between these two projectors. I had been leaning toward the 3010, but the difference in sharpness has me rethinking again - I tend to like the "pop" over the "film-like quality" every time.

I am not a newbie on projectors, but am completely new to 3d. Is the RF technology on the HD33 really a non-issue? I was thinking it was "safer" to go this route, but then I'm not seeing any info on IR glasses having problems with synching, so it must not be a widespread issue.

I am still leaning toward the 3010 because the calculators indicate that 12'6" away on a 95" screen is too bright with the HD33, and I don't want to replace the screen just yet. But your comments have me wanting to compare sharpness/pop, so I probably need to see it for myself somehow.

Thanks again for the info

Viver e nao ter a vergonha de ser feliz
post #38 of 366 Old 10-29-2011, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRebel View Post

Thanks for this write up! I am really struggling to decide between these two projectors. I had been leaning toward the 3010, but the difference in sharpness has me rethinking again - I tend to like the "pop" over the "film-like quality" every time.

I am not a newbie on projectors, but am completely new to 3d. Is the RF technology on the HD33 really a non-issue? I was thinking it was "safer" to go this route, but then I'm not seeing any info on IR glasses having problems with synching, so it must not be a widespread issue.

I am still leaning toward the 3010 because the calculators indicate that 12'6" away on a 95" screen is too bright with the HD33, and I don't want to replace the screen just yet. But your comments have me wanting to compare sharpness/pop, so I probably need to see it for myself somehow.

The Epson is much brighter than the Optoma. Without an ND filter I think it might be too bright for a 95" screen.

As for the IR emitter with the 3010 vs the RF, this seems like a non-issue. I have not seen a single report of people losing sync with the glasses.

There are tweaks with the Epson LCD projectors to give you more pop, but if you like the look of DLP, it is probably best to go that route.
post #39 of 366 Old 10-29-2011, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what is ND filter? and where do i buyit for 3010?
post #40 of 366 Old 10-29-2011, 02:50 PM

Liked: 13
I've read several places that the Epson is brighter, but according to (coderguy's)? calculator
http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com/
The Epson can do a 95" screen in low lamp mode, but the Optoma can't do anything less than 115", even in low lamp mode. I was assuming this meant that the Epson is brighter at higher brightness settings, but its low lamp mode is actually lower than the Optoma.

Any explanation?

(When I say it "can do" that size, I mean without getting into the category of "too bright" according to the calculator)

Viver e nao ter a vergonha de ser feliz
post #41 of 366 Old 10-29-2011, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Yes, you can crank up the lumens for 3D. Dynamic mode for 3D would be the brightest mode for 3D.

Sorry I misspoke....yes ack_bk is correct 3D has only two modes and Dynamic one is the brightest and its brighter than HD33
post #42 of 366 Old 10-29-2011, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Ok, I spent more time with settings and I found that 3010 has a Standard-sharpness mode which goes all the way to 5 and it was not sharp enough. I went deeper into the menu to access an Advanced-Sharpness mode which allows you to increase sharpness more (think line, thickline, horizontal, vertical sub modes) that make the image very sharp....on par with HD33
[/quote]

Quote:

Just as Optoma HD33 perfected DLP-link glasses, I believe Epson 3010 has perfected IR glasses...no sync loss...dont compare these to other IR's out there.

Thanks again for the info[/quote]
post #43 of 366 Old 10-29-2011, 03:35 PM

Hi guys. I had a quick question about handshake. I currently have an Epson 6500UB in my room and have tested the 8700UB. Both have the handshake problem that frustrates me (worse with the 6500UB). Does the 3010 still have that problem? What about the 3300?
post #44 of 366 Old 10-29-2011, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Just as Optoma HD33 perfected DLP-link glasses, I believe Epson 3010 has perfected IR glasses...no sync loss...dont compare these to other IR's out there.

The use of IR glasses would be enough to rule out the Epson for me. I used the VIP 3D Theater adapter and the IR emitter interfered with virtually all of my remotes...

Robert Clark
post #45 of 366 Old 10-29-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

The use of IR glasses would be enough to rule out the Epson for me. I used the VIP 3D Theater adapter and the IR emitter interfered with virtually all of my remotes...

Does 3010 have a Vesa port ?

The IR glasses I've also interfere with my devices - so 3dtvcorp is sending me a different set of "universal" glasses - and the theory is with the Gen 2 emitter I should be able to tune to correct IR mode that doesn't interfere with any of the devices I've.

post #46 of 366 Old 10-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

How many 3D projectors are you going to buy?

I currently have 1 3D projector in my house which is the current Epson, I have 2 rooms with projectors in them. If I get the Acer and like it better than the Epson I will sell it.

For those worries about the brightness of the Epson it is bright in 3D and very bright in 2D. I have a 1.2 gain screen if it matters.
post #47 of 366 Old 10-29-2011, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by palpitatn View Post

Hi guys. I had a quick question about handshake. I currently have an Epson 6500UB in my room and have tested the 8700UB. Both have the handshake problem that frustrates me (worse with the 6500UB). Does the 3010 still have that problem? What about the 3300?

3010 is quick on picking up everything I've thrown at it and hasn't dropped any signals. What is the problem exactly you are having so I can look out for it.
post #48 of 366 Old 10-29-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

3010 is quick on picking up everything I've thrown at it and hasn't dropped any signals. What is the problem exactly you are having so I can look out for it.

The handshake problem occurs when the projector is processing between the home screen and other input like from the BD player or game console or cable TV. For up to 1 minute with my 6500UB, there just flickering on the screen before the PJ can stabilize the picture. Really annoying.
post #49 of 366 Old 10-29-2011, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Reasons I went with DLP:

1. Sealed light path, so no dust filter and no worrying about dust blobs on lcd panels (I have a very dusty place, so this is very important to me).
2. Motion blur is minimized relative to lcd (If you're a gamer, this is important).
3. Image "pop".
4. No convergence issues as can sometimes be the case with lcd.

These are also some things to think about. Some people have a problem with rainbows, which would rule DLP out. The extra brightness from the Epson is making me a little jealous, but for the reasons stated above, it's not enough to give me buyer's remorse. 3D on my HD3300 seems plenty bright and I haven't messed with any of the settings. 2D is exceptional and is a tremendous leap in a clean, sharp image compared to my BenQ W5000.

As a side note, I had a giggle today when I saw a Future Shop flyer posting an ad for an 80" LED tv for $5200. Folks, we are all of us getting a great deal here.
post #50 of 366 Old 10-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pxjunky View Post

Awesome post, big ups for this. You played alot of very popular games that cover the entire gaming spectrum. I agree single player you will not notce that much but online and reaction games will be a no go. Rockband is another game not listed that suffers again timing so you realy feel the lag

Yeah, but you can tune it out of Rockband. You're not really reacting to any "dynamic" actions like you are in MP games. So once the delay is accounted for, you're set.
post #51 of 366 Old 10-29-2011, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

As a side note, I had a giggle today when I saw a Future Shop flyer posting an ad for an 80" LED tv for $5200. Folks, we are all of us getting a great deal here.

tell me about it...i was almost convincing myself to buy the $3000 65" Panasonic VT series which looked awesome in bestbuy and boy am I glad i didnt yield to the temptation ! Both HD33 and 3010 will beat the crap out of any TV.....I hope the word about the 3D PJ's spreads like fire. Tv's are so dinosaurs big bulky and hard to dispose of....one can pull off an impressive 120" image with either of these that no TV can rival !
post #52 of 366 Old 10-29-2011, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

tell me about it...i was almost convincing myself to buy the $3000 65" Panasonic VT series which looked awesome in bestbuy and boy am I glad i didnt yield to the temptation ! Both HD33 and 3010 will beat the crap out of any TV.....I hope the word about the 3D PJ's spreads like fire. Tv's are so dinosaurs big bulky and hard to dispose of....one can pull off an impressive 120" image with either of these that no TV can rival !

Not only that, but 65" vs 100-140"+??? No comparison, especially for 3D. It was almost 5 years ago when I sold my 55" Samsung DLP HDTV and bought a 1080p projector with a 100" screen. I knew there was no going back e minute I fired up my first Blu-Ray.
post #53 of 366 Old 10-30-2011, 01:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Our current generation of projectors are such that you don't really want to be turning them off and on like you can a tv - the bulb will pop before you know it. That's why I have a TV for viewing the morning news and Treehouse for the kids. However, I have a friend that bought a 3d TV for everything and I've gotta say that 3D was NOT meant for TV, it was meant for projection. His TV was 55" and, although the 3d was pretty good, I would have had to sit 2-3 feet in front of the screen (which is ridiculous) to get an immersive experience. If you have the space and light control, it really is silly to not get a projector - they are the best bang for your buck! I've convinced some of my friends that this is the case, and they are very thankful for the advice.
post #54 of 366 Old 10-30-2011, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Reasons I went with DLP:

1. Sealed light path, so no dust filter and no worrying about dust blobs on lcd panels (I have a very dusty place, so this is very important to me).
2. Motion blur is minimized relative to lcd (If you're a gamer, this is important).
3. Image "pop".
4. No convergence issues as can sometimes be the case with lcd.

These are also some things to think about. Some people have a problem with rainbows, which would rule DLP out. The extra brightness from the Epson is making me a little jealous, but for the reasons stated above, it's not enough to give me buyer's remorse. 3D on my HD3300 seems plenty bright and I haven't messed with any of the settings. 2D is exceptional and is a tremendous leap in a clean, sharp image compared to my BenQ W5000.

As a side note, I had a giggle today when I saw a Future Shop flyer posting an ad for an 80" LED tv for $5200.

I have to agree with you 100%. I always worry about convergence issues from all the threads that I've read on here. I've had dlp tv's for about 9 years now and with the first generation Samsung, I could see rainbows like crazy. But, after the next generation ones came out, I never had the rainbow problem again. I was a little worried before I purchased the HD3300, but rainbows are not a problem. The motion blur is superb compared to my old tv's. The brightness to me on a 1.3 gain screen, is super bright to me for 3D or normal lamp mode. I think 2D movies look great here too, I'm not an inky blacks connoisseur, though If you have a room you can control the light in, the Optoma is a winners or me!
post #55 of 366 Old 10-30-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Our current generation of projectors are such that you don't really want to be turning them off and on like you can a tv - the bulb will pop before you know it. That's why I have a TV for viewing the morning news and Treehouse for the kids. However, I have a friend that bought a 3d TV for everything and I've gotta say that 3D was NOT meant for TV, it was meant for projection. His TV was 55" and, although the 3d was pretty good, I would have had to sit 2-3 feet in front of the screen (which is ridiculous) to get an immersive experience. If you have the space and light control, it really is silly to not get a projector - they are the best bang for your buck! I've convinced some of my friends that this is the case, and they are very thankful for the advice.

can you elaborate on this on/off restriction ? is there a recommended time PJ should be ON and OFF before the next cycle ?

also with 3010 you dont need any light control...I played Uncharted in the morning with my blinds partially closed and the image looked as clear as my LCD TV. Also I would argue that PJ's are more space efficient than TV's...all you need is a shelf to place it on and your screen size depends on how far you place it....so with these light cannons you will always come as a winner over a TV
post #56 of 366 Old 10-30-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

can you elaborate on this on/off restriction ? is there a recommended time PJ should be ON and OFF before the next cycle ?

I was reading a thread on this forum about it (can't find it), but apparently the startup of the bulb actually causes a fair bit of wear on it, which is why some recommend that if you're going to be using it like a tv (on/off all the time), you'd be best to stick with a TV. That said, when I go to my man cave to watch a movie or play a game, I leave the pj on even if I have to take a long phone call because it's less stress on the bulb. I also found this (not sure if it's true, but perhaps someone can verify):

Quote:

For optimum bulb life, wait until the unit is stone cold, absolutely room temperature, before restriking. How long that is varies based on the projector. I use an hour for mine.

The reason it's important not to strike a hot bulb is because the projectors have a pre-programmed voltage ramp that assumes room temperature. I'm not sure if the voltage ramps down or up, but it's designed to take a cold bulb up to operating temperature as safely as possible. If the bulb is already hot, it's hit with the wrong voltages at the wrong time, and that dramatically shortens its life.
I've seen arguments that the cooling fans after powerdown are actually bad for bulb life; it's apparently better to let it cool slowly. But because it's just so, SO bad to restrike while hot, they err on the side of caution and cool the unit as fast as reasonably possible. This stresses the bulb and shortens its life, but it's better than an uneducated user restarting the projector too soon.

Hope that helps.

As far as how long it should be ON before you turn it off, I don't think that really matters. Mind you, I could just be talking with my head up my @$$ (anyone confirm/deny lol).
post #57 of 366 Old 10-30-2011, 11:43 AM

I just don't get the whole lag issue, I've never noticed it. The only time I notice lag is when I'm playing BF3 on the PS3 BUT thats EA's side as they have said they are working on their servers and know of problems. Of course I've never been the best at mp fps's so I usually get sniped anyway

PSN ID: zapfrog

post #58 of 366 Old 10-30-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:

In the 33/3300 thread there is some blurb about 3300's lamp warranty. You should leave the PJ off for 8 hours (after an extended viewing).

I use the PJ only at night - and use the TV at other times.

post #59 of 366 Old 10-30-2011, 03:36 PM

Hi all, I am a total noob on these and given that checking out a projector in a store isn't necessarily an easy option I'm trying to make an educated guess on which one would be better for me. I'd like some of your opinions of the things I'm using to make the decision. I could be way off so please correct me if I'm wrong:

1) RBE: I've never noticed it on my buddy's 65" DLP rear projection TV and I've watched a lot of movies on it and played a ton of games on it. Would that be an appropriate basis to decide if RBE would affect me on a DLP front projector?

2) LCD refresh. My parents have a 46" Samsung LCD and the refresh rate is slow in my opinion, not to mention the movement looks robotic or something on it. No one else notices it but me. The picture is great but on things like golf or baseball where there is fast movement, I see an effect that looks like single frames all the way through instead of the blur that you would see in real life. It drives me nuts and I never see that on Plasma's or DLP.

I, like many, had been leaning towards the Epson because of the brightness factor but this input lag thing seems concerning. I don't play online much but play lots of different genres of games...lots of racing and sports though. The RBE factor seems concerning for the DLP and I don't know if the fact that I see the slow refresh on LCD would have anything to do with seeing RBE.

I have a house with no basement so the living room will be the 'theatre' so a brighter projector seems to make the most sense as well.

I'm curious about what your thoughts are on my reasoning and any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
post #60 of 366 Old 10-30-2011, 03:47 PM

I think it depends on a persons sensitivity whether it's the RBE or lag. I'm sensitive to RBE and 3d but dont notice any lag on our epson 3850. Only time I notice bad HD is when it's the source like CBS HD sports which looks like crap compared to other sports HD channels.

PSN ID: zapfrog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page