Epson 3010 vs Optoma HD33 - A user's perspective - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 366 Old 12-09-2011, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Ok falafala & ack_bk, do either of you live near Green Bay, WI? I will bring beer I need to see a 3010 in action.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 366 Old 12-09-2011, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post

Ok falafala & ack_bk, do either of you live near Green Bay, WI? I will bring beer I need to see a 3010 in action.

Haha, I am in Minnesota, but I returned my 3010. I am waiting on the release of the BenQ W7000. I might purchase another 3010, but wanted to keep my options open.
post #243 of 366 Old 12-09-2011, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My eyes favor DLP over LCD technology

So heres the deal... I returned the epson 3010 to best buy due to the horrendous ghosting, I am assuming I had a lemon, also 2d was excellent for movies, but didn't like hdtv especially for sports.

Ordered the hd33 and watched avatar in 3d, differnece was night and day.... picture looked awsome... NO GHOSTING, played some games on it and the 3d was not that bright and looked a little dim to my liking...also enjoyed hdtv and sports much better on this unit opposed to the epson..... Other then the 3d component I didn't notice anything significantly different in 2d compared to the hd20 that I had for three years prior.

So after doing a bit more research I noticed the optoma gt750e for sale yes it is only 720p and not 1080p but it is also $800 dollars cheaper. So I returned the hd33 to amazon and ordered it to see what it was all about. I am dead serious, While watching the West Virgina vs. KSU 2ot game last night, I couldn't tell the difference from the 2d compared to the hd33 2d. Again I have time warner and the output is 1080i/720p so tv viewing doesn't matter. Decided to test the 3d hooked my computer up and watched avatar 3d, the 3d I found to be much brighter then the hd33...the computer was outputting 720 at 120hz, yes this is no joke I actaully like this unit better then the other two. It has built in speakers which are ok for basic stuff, rearranged my living room to a much better state given the short throw distance and now have a 130 inch diagonal screen sitting about 10 feet away. Another note worth noting is you have much more options configuring the settings especially in user/3d then the hd33. All in all I couldn't be anymore happy and that honestly isn't even taking into consideration the $800 that I am saving. Add that into account and all I can say is..... Damn thats a good deal.
post #244 of 366 Old 12-09-2011, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuse25 View Post

My eyes favor DLP over LCD technology

So heres the deal... I returned the epson 3010 to best buy due to the horrendous ghosting, I am assuming I had a lemon, also 2d was excellent for movies, but didn't like hdtv especially for sports.

Ordered the hd33 and watched avatar in 3d, differnece was night and day.... picture looked awsome... NO GHOSTING, played some games on it and the 3d was not that bright and looked a little dim to my liking...also enjoyed hdtv and sports much better on this unit opposed to the epson..... Other then the 3d component I didn't notice anything significantly different in 2d compared to the hd20 that I had for three years prior.

So after doing a bit more research I noticed the optoma gt750e for sale yes it is only 720p and not 1080p but it is also $800 dollars cheaper. So I returned the hd33 to amazon and ordered it to see what it was all about. I am dead serious, While watching the West Virgina vs. KSU 2ot game last night, I couldn't tell the difference from the 2d compared to the hd33 2d. Again I have time warner and the output is 1080i/720p so tv viewing doesn't matter. Decided to test the 3d hooked my computer up and watched avatar 3d, the 3d I found to be much brighter then the hd33...the computer was outputting 720 at 120hz, yes this is no joke I actaully like this unit better then the other two. It has built in speakers which are ok for basic stuff, rearranged my living room to a much better state given the short throw distance and now have a 130 inch diagonal screen sitting about 10 feet away. Another note worth noting is you have much more options configuring the settings especially in user/3d then the hd33. All in all I couldn't be anymore happy and that honestly isn't even taking into consideration the $800 that I am saving. Add that into account and all I can say is..... Damn thats a good deal.

great to see you found your favorite PJ !

And thats the only thing that matters, and not what others think !

My journey has been reverse....I got HD66 first because some guy here said 720 is indistinguishable from 1080p and it was much cheaper....returned it as it was horrible color and blacks...got HD33 and realized my eyes crave for 1080p, loved it...then went to 3010 and realized that my eyes crave for bright 3D ! So I am settled (for now )

so bottom line is, to each his own
post #245 of 366 Old 12-12-2011, 12:47 AM

After reading this entire thread, I just ordered the 3010 off amazon. Although I consider myself quite the gamer and most of the hours going into the projector will be gaming, I'm willing to risk the effect of the lag. I have an onlive account that I use to play demos etc and my lag is 200ms+ on a good day. Although it takes a few minutes to get used to, Its not too bad... I figure the lag is a pretty even tradeoff for brightness, given that it will be the family projector.
wish me luck! hope i made the right choice and dont get a lemon...
post #246 of 366 Old 12-12-2011, 06:20 AM

I think you're talking about network lag. 200ms input lag would be near impossible to play with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliefaber View Post

After reading this entire thread, I just ordered the 3010 off amazon. Although I consider myself quite the gamer and most of the hours going into the projector will be gaming, I'm willing to risk the effect of the lag. I have an onlive account that I use to play demos etc and my lag is 200ms+ on a good day. Although it takes a few minutes to get used to, Its not too bad... I figure the lag is a pretty even tradeoff for brightness, given that it will be the family projector.
wish me luck! hope i made the right choice and dont get a lemon...

post #247 of 366 Old 12-12-2011, 09:03 AM

Regarding the lag on the 3010 I have do the Rock bad laflg test and I am between 62/65ms. I wish I had done the test with the Optoma when I had it... So for I have playied Forza 4 and I have no issue at all.
post #248 of 366 Old 12-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiitaco View Post

I think you're talking about network lag. 200ms input lag would be near impossible to play with.

Yeah, I think you're right. The difference:

With 200 ms of input lag, your character wouldn't move (or jump or shoot, etc) until 2/10s of a second after you press a button. And then he wouldn't stop moving until 2/10s of a second after you stopped pressing the button.

With 200 ms of network lag, your game will predict what will happen over the next 2/10s of a second and then adjust once it receives the "truth data" from the server. This accounts for some people walking in a straight line only to teleport to a completely different place in the game world, because they didn't actually move the way your client predicted they would.

Input lag, controller lag, network lag... these are all going to stack. So don't make the mistake of thinking, "I'm already playing with 200 ms of network lag", so the 100 ms input lag on the projector or the 50 ms lag on the controller won't be noticeable. It means you'll have something like 350 ms (3.5/10s of a second) lag. If it takes 200 ms to get the data to your client, and then it takes 100 ms for you to see it- you react, but it takes 50 ms for your client to read the controller... and then another 100 ms for you to see the result... Well, it's not good.
post #249 of 366 Old 12-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8000HD View Post

Regarding the lag on the 3010 I have do the Rock bad laflg test and I am between 62/65ms. I wish I had done the test with the Optoma when I had it... So for I have playied Forza 4 and I have no issue at all.

Just to clarify- you used the auto-calibrating guitar on Rock Band 2/3 on 360/PS3 and it gave you video lag (not audio lag) at 62/65ms on the 3010?

If so, for me that's great news. It means the one I had truly was broken in more respects than one and I have some hope that a new 3010 would meet my needs. I think I could live with 60-65 ms of lag... it was the 108 ms that was too high.
post #250 of 366 Old 12-12-2011, 09:57 AM

yep...exactly....

im curious as to how people play with pure processing on hd33....ive read some people play with it on when playing fps games to make it look better....when i play with it on..the lag is noticeable from the processing and it just makes it not fun.....so im guessing my lag sensitivity is high....(ive gamed all my life....counterstriker )....... with it off...its very very slight...... im assuming at 60ms the 3010 for me it may be too much...so i guess im glad i got the hd33....

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhonzi View Post

Yeah, I think you're right. The difference:

With 200 ms of input lag, your character wouldn't move (or jump or shoot, etc) until 2/10s of a second after you press a button. And then he wouldn't stop moving until 2/10s of a second after you stopped pressing the button.

With 200 ms of network lag, your game will predict what will happen over the next 2/10s of a second and then adjust once it receives the "truth data" from the server. This accounts for some people walking in a straight line only to teleport to a completely different place in the game world, because they didn't actually move the way your client predicted they would.

Input lag, controller lag, network lag... these are all going to stack. So don't make the mistake of thinking, "I'm already playing with 200 ms of network lag", so the 100 ms input lag on the projector or the 50 ms lag on the controller won't be noticeable. It means you'll have something like 350 ms (3.5/10s of a second) lag. If it takes 200 ms to get the data to your client, and then it takes 100 ms for you to see it- you react, but it takes 50 ms for your client to read the controller... and then another 100 ms for you to see the result... Well, it's not good.

post #251 of 366 Old 12-12-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:

Just to clarify- you used the auto-calibrating guitar on Rock Band 2/3 on 360/PS3 and it gave you video lag (not audio lag) at 62/65ms on the 3010?

If so, for me that's great news. It means the one I had truly was broken in more respects than one and I have some hope that a new 3010 would meet my needs. I think I could like with 60-65 ms of lag... it was the 108 that was too high.

Humm... Will have to recheck. Maybe it's audio lag I'll confirm later today.
post #252 of 366 Old 12-12-2011, 01:08 PM

Sorry, new to the projector scene. My point, however was that because onlive is cloud gaming, its really slow (at least on my connection), but yet still playable. I'm hoping the projector is the same way and that I will still be able to use it to the extent that I do the 42" TV in the media room that the 3010 replaced

UPDATE!: I got around to calling customer support about the latency issue when console gaming, and I had a bit more luck than others who have tried to contact Epson about it. I had to force my way past several customer service associates who tried to tell me to try a different HDMI cable or game console, but I finally got high enough in the ranks that I got to talk to someone who actually knew what they were talking about.
They assured me that they are very aware of the problem and are working to fix it as quickly as possible through a firmware update. They didn't have any sort of estimate or details on a release, but they promised a fix and would contact me with any information that came up.
If Epson comes through with this, I will be a very happy camper.
post #253 of 366 Old 12-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

UPDATE!: They assured me that they are very aware of the problem and are working to fix it as quickly as possible through a firmware update. They didn't have any sort of estimate or details on a release, but they promised a fix and would contact me with any information that came up.

Hopefully! Be sure to let us know if you ever hear back from them.
post #254 of 366 Old 12-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

I ordered the HD33 last night. I have a low ceiling and the HD20/HD33 are the only affordable DLP projectors I have ever been able to fit into my room correctly. I was more than happy with my HD20, just wanted 3D as well.

I can't believe the 3010, a modern LCD projector, has no lens shift. The lens location prevents it from working in my room. Probably a good thing though because it prevents me from having to decide between these two units.

I have a feeling that I'd probably be happy with either of them anyway.
post #255 of 366 Old 12-12-2011, 04:13 PM

[quote=xhonzi;21336474]Just to clarify- you used the auto-calibrating guitar on Rock Band 2/3 on 360/PS3 and it gave you video lag (not audio lag) at 62/65ms on the 3010?

Ok i'm sorry here the real deal, I didn't knew that there were an auto-calibrating guitar and since I only have a RB1/GH guitar I cannot auto-calibrate with RB3. But manual calibration give me: Audio: 58ms and Video:82 ms.
post #256 of 366 Old 12-12-2011, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry, new to the projector scene. My point, however was that because onlive is cloud gaming, its really slow (at least on my connection), but yet still playable. I'm hoping the projector is the same way and that I will still be able to use it to the extent that I do the 42" TV in the media room that the 3010 replaced

UPDATE!: I got around to calling customer support about the latency issue when console gaming, and I had a bit more luck than others who have tried to contact Epson about it. I had to force my way past several customer service associates who tried to tell me to try a different HDMI cable or game console, but I finally got high enough in the ranks that I got to talk to someone who actually knew what they were talking about.
They assured me that they are very aware of the problem and are working to fix it as quickly as possible through a firmware update. They didn't have any sort of estimate or details on a release, but they promised a fix and would contact me with any information that came up.

Awesome ! If this really happens, i think this PJ is unbeatable in almost every department for this price.

I for one have been playing Uncharted 1,2,3, Avatar 3D game and now Ressistance 3 and would never have guessed that there is lag if defiancecp didnt point it out i the first place.
post #257 of 366 Old 12-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8000HD View Post

Ok i'm sorry here the real deal, I didn't knew that there were an auto-calibrating guitar and since I only have a RB1/GH guitar I cannot auto-calibrate with RB3. But manual calibration give me: Audio: 58ms and Video:82 ms.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I'm still wondering if your 3010 is slighty faster than mine, or if your manual calibration is ~26 ms off of my auto.
post #258 of 366 Old 12-12-2011, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

Awesome ! If this really happens, i think this PJ is unbeatable in almost every department for this price.

I doubt that and am prepared to debate why.
post #259 of 366 Old 12-12-2011, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

I did promise that. But this is a comparison thread and I cannot let crap go. All of the evidence is there. What do you want from me?

Ok you win. Happy DLP days for you.

May be you can help the wretched souls who bought 3010 by starting a "sell you 3010 and get a 9500 for $450 more" campaign ?
post #260 of 366 Old 12-13-2011, 03:02 AM

Quote:

Great job, charliefaber! Even though this may not be official, I find it hard to believe that they would just make something like that up. The European equivelant Epson EH-TW6000 is on three to six weeks backorder just about everywhere here in Finland.

Quote:

I doubt that and am prepared to debate why. Remember I have a 8350 and it is supposed to be better in 2D than the 3010 with it's cheapo lens. Yes the 5010 uses the same lens as the 8350. Talk about cutting corners on what is not the best anyway and 3010 owners are saddled with a cheaper lens. You want ghost free 3D get DLP. It is that simple. Reviews are in again. How many times do we need to see the reviews on this?

Alright, the 3010 doesn't have the placement flexibility of 8350 with its new optics. But is there some proof that it's somehow worse image quality wise?

I'd like to quote Art's review from Projectorreviews.com:

Quote:

The Home Cinema 3010 sure looks good to me. The new, less expensive lens, with less zoom range, seems every bit as sharp as the lens used on the more expensive Epsons.

post #261 of 366 Old 12-13-2011, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

post #262 of 366 Old 12-13-2011, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by habakoski View Post

Alright, the 3010 doesn't have the placement flexibility of 8350 with its new optics. But is there some proof that it's somehow worse image quality wise?

I'd like to quote Art's review from Projectorreviews.com:

what more proof do you want other than Mike's categorical statement that we have an inferior lens ?

It doesn't matter that he doesn't own it or seen it...he said it, so must be true just like all those categorical statementes he routinely issues in every projector forum judging them without seeing or owing them
post #263 of 366 Old 12-13-2011, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
On LCD and LCOS projectors, convergence luck-of-the-draw matters 1000x more than the quality of the lens these days. You cannot compare one LCD to one other LCD and declare one a winner in sharpness unless you have some certainty that it fits within the mold of some consensus (since convergence luck varies on a unit-to-unit basis of the same model).

Other than a couple of Sharp DLP's, I haven't seen any manufacturers really skimp on the lens too much, although I'm sure there is some exception. You could take a $900 Epson 8350 with perfect convergence and it'd be sharper than a $50,000 Sony with imperfect convergence. I am not saying Sony would approve a QC on a $50,000 projector with imperfect convergence and allow it to ship out the door, but I am just saying in general. We do know that $5000+ projectors come off the assembly line with sharpness issues sometimes though. Sure an expensive lens could add that extra touch of sharpness beyond the default max, but the maximum achievable sharpness from lenses these days is so high that it would be a non-issue for the most part, the problem is the MFR's in most cases are not able to even get the convergence nearly good enough on most units to be able to exploit the sharpness of a better lens in most cases.

I've seen even extremely cheap projectors with a cheap lens have better sharpness and focus uniformity than much more expensive projectors with better lens's, even in a DLP vs. DLP comparison. According to Texas Instruments, the main added cost on the more expensive lens's isn't really to add sharpness, it is because the more expensive units need all the extra contrast they can get and the more expensive lens's (according to TI) preserve contrast better to squeeze that last extra bit of contrast out. Apparently it is much more expensive to make the lens preserve contrast than to make the lens preserve sharpness. Also, when there are often trade-offs, it is likely harder to manufacture a lens with higher contrast and higher sharpness, the two attributes sound like they are conflicting when I was reading the TI PDF's. That may explain why many higher contrast projectors are not as sharp even beyond the convergence issue.

Take the cheap Viewsonic Pro 8200 DLP as an example ($800 new, $500 refurb), the sharpness is bordering on superb. It is sharper than most Optomas and Acers, and about equal to the Mits hc4000 overall in sharpness.The Mits hc4000 and Viewsonic Pro8200 are so close to being almost as sharp as say a Benq w6000 that I would easily say that sharpness is a zero-sum issue at this level for 99.9% of content. I can tell you there is no way they put an expensive lens in it, they just used the correct throw sweet spots for the type of lens they bought and the correct assembly process (not aligned, because there is no alignment in DLP).

The reason the Benq w6000 and w7000 are slightly sharper than other DLP projectors is probably not the lens, but it appears to be related to the higher throw ratio and the decision making process in the manufacturing related to figuring out the best way to "build around" a given lens weakness or strengths, hence because of the longer throw ratio it allowed them to set the focal point differently (1.6 min vs. most others have 1.4). The Benq w6000 having a farther throw ratio is most likely the main reason for it's extra sharpness beyond all other DLP's in this price range. This makes it harder for some people to mount, but the trade-off was a sharper image overall. Benq made the decision to focus on sharpness in exchange for a less flexible throw ratio and probably not quite as good of contrast as they could have achieved with a different lens setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #264 of 366 Old 12-13-2011, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I doubt that and am prepared to debate why.

Mike: guess which projector these comments are referring to on a very famous PJ-review site:

You also lose a lot of brightness when you enter 3D mode, which can be a huge disappointment if you have a large screen. I had to keep the screen size at about 80 inches to actually make it bearable. Keep in mind my usual screen size is 120 inches. The lag is also another concern. Eighty to one hundred milliseconds of lag is not acceptable for online game play. ....

Not only do you lose resolution, but you lose a lot of that color “pop”. I tried messing with the color settings, but nothing I changed could get the colors where they needed to be. The colors just seem a bit more dull and the loss of resolution on a 100″+ screen is pretty depressing.....

sound like 3010 ? guess again.....ok here is the answer: http://www.projectorreviews.com/proj...ml#comment-989

however, I would like to say I dont mean to put down 9500 as I respect buyers who find it better than others....but the point I ma trying to make is its so easy to quote reviews out of context and draw a whole new meaning. For example, the above article was specifically referring to 3D-PC-gaming. Its not clear if the same comments applies to 3D movies or 3D console gaming.

Having said that here is my testimonial for 3010: 3D gaming on 3010 is simply a sight to behold....very bright, vivid and vibrant colors, minimal-to-none ghosting, lag not noticeable at all for casual gaming.....and the PJ handles format transitions very gracefully. Played Uncharted3 full game in 3D and its a whole new experience compared to 2D version. Also played Avatrt-3D-game which is a dark game to start with but 3010's bright image made it a worthwhile game to play in 3D. Played many demos on PSN and absolutely no complaints !
post #265 of 366 Old 12-13-2011, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

OK Falafala, Peace bro. I realize you do not appreciate my comments when I have owned neither unit. Point taken. I have owned a DLP FP and still have a DLP RP TV. I have a Epson 8350. So when I comment about my preferences it is based on that. I am glad you are happy with the 3010, I just know it is not for me because I prefer the pop of DLP over the filmlike image of LCD. Had I just gotten my 8350 and never logged on here again I would have been fine. Now I realize that one technology looks like a huge 120" TV and the other looks like, well watching a movie all the time.

As for the lag on the 9500, quite frankly I am surprised since Acer has been catering to the Nvidia gaming crowd for some time. Frankly I do not care about lag as I do not game at all. Looks like the HD33 is the low lag king in this segment for right now. Before I leave this topic, we are not sure what E Stooge did in his review and he did not even test the HD33 for lag??? It is possible he does not know what he is doing or did not configure something properly, not that I care about gaming once again anyway.

I do not want to go to war with you about petty crap such as my frustration with Epson ditching lens shift and changing lenses because that was a deal breaker for me right off the bat. If they had kept those items on the 3010 I would have probably auditioned one by now from BB filmlike picture and all. By all accounts it seems like a good unit and good value with that warranty they have. I simply cannot see paying more for a PJ that does not perform as well as the one I have now in 2D just to get 3D. That I will not debate because all review sites pretty much say that.

As for debate, you have the light cannon crown. As for ghosting, kraine has said the DLPs own this arena and he said he prefers the 9500 over the HD33. He will test the Epsons soon enough as you know but they will be going up against some higher end units that he has already tested and we know how that went in the ghost department. But if you notice no ghosting in your setup then more power to you. Image quality is subjective they say, I prefer DLP and Art has way too many pictures that prove why I like what I like. I confirmed same right in my home. Made me unhappy with 3LCD in a silly kind of way because it does make a good picture. Just not as good to me when viewed side by side.

At any rate, I will again try not to quibble with you here because nobody really wants to see that when reading up to buy a projector, however fun it may be at times when things are slow. And to any 3010 owners I may have offended, I apologize for that. Looks like nobody has the perfect 3D projector in this price point right now.
post #266 of 366 Old 12-13-2011, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

however, I would like to say I dont mean to put down 9500 as I respect buyers who find it better than others....but the point I ma trying to make is its so easy to quote reviews out of context and draw a whole new meaning. For example, the above article was specifically referring to 3D-PC-gaming. Its not clear if the same comments applies to 3D movies or 3D console gaming.

I am with you and agree that if you like what you have then you are happy. That is all it takes. However, pointing that out is not wrong either because all information and observations are good for people researching. One can discard info they care little about or dig deeper.
post #267 of 366 Old 12-13-2011, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am with you and agree that if you like what you have then you are happy. That is all it takes. However, pointing that out is not wrong either because all information and observations are good for people researching. One can discard info they care little about or dig deeper.

OK peace be on earth

Please do point out what you think needs to be pointed out ! Its better than people starting threads and disappearing

And it would be ideal if everyone could look at at least 2 PJ's before settling down so they feel they have made the right choice for themselves.

And as I said earlier, I may get a DLP for my next PJ as 3D matures !
post #268 of 366 Old 12-18-2011, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Okay here is a question which may have been addressed before: How do these pjs stack up against regular flat-panel displays, such as the Samsung pn59d8000 or the panasonic vt30 in terms of pq? I have never used a pj for HT purposes before, although I regularly use them for classroom instruction and official business-like presentations, but those types of pjs (pjs which handle standard def. material in the classroom) are not meant for blu ray films, talk less of 3d, gaming and such... They just don't compare in terms of pq But you have got to see me as a someone coming from a 46 inch panasonic 3d plasma who is in need of a bigger 3d display (I sit at about 12' away from by display, and for 3d, that is really underwhelming)... I feel I need to go bigger, and as far as the panasonic plasmas go, the biggest I can go is a 65", which cannot match a 120' in size. So my question is how much pq must I sacrifice if I decide to go with either of these projectors and buy a 100-120" screen, instead of buying a 65' plasma... Whatever I get is not going to be used in a dedicated HT... It is for a living room which can be artificially darkened at night, but I would also like to be able to view my blu ray films during the day whenever possible when there is quite a bit of ambient light in the room...

Finally, will these units be easy to transport from location to location if I buy a foldable/portable screen, and is that really practical? Any helpful suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.
post #269 of 366 Old 12-18-2011, 06:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have a 55" Samsung LED TV and I consider it a toy, the huge screen setups are the real deal for feeling you have a knock out home theater. It's a joy to fire up everytime, movies, sports, games all of them take on a new level when you're going 100" and over.

These 3D projectors are pretty punchy with vibrant colors. From what I've been reading I'd say the HD3300 is the one to get to cover the four signals best, 2D movies, 3D, Sports and gaming. Only reason is the 4000.1 vs 1000.1 native contrast. As far as brightness a memeber with a light meter measure an Epson it was quite high in dynamic 45 foot candles, they say the epson is real bright, my HD3300 measures 49.7 foot candles in bright mode at 265hrs use.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

post #270 of 366 Old 12-28-2011, 06:50 PM

Now that Christmas is over and I have some free time let me finish my review from a few weeks ago.

After watching several movies, both 2d and 3d, on the HD33 my final conclusion is the HD33 is better at 2d and the 3100 is better at 3d.

After owning both I'm sticking with the HD33 simply because 90% of my movie watching is 2d and IMHO the HD33 blows the 3100 away on 2d, this may vary by preference but I love the DLP pop and even after nearly a month I'm blown away by the HD33's 2d.

The 3d on the HD33 is good but just doesn't live up to the 3d on the 3100. They both look good but to my eyes the 3100 had more depth. I don't really have any complaints with the 3d on the HD33, for example I haven't noticed any ghosting or crosstalk, but it just doesn't wow me as much as the 3100s 3d.

I have a light controlled room which made the extra brightness of the 3100 a drawback on 2d (because it was to bright even in low lamp mode) but that extra brightness definately helped during 3d. Even with less light output I have the HD33 on low mode for 2d (bright mode was to bright) but I think it could benefit from a bit more light on 3d.

I also think room size / screen size will be a big factor , I have a fairly small theater room and sit about 12' from a 120" screen and I've noticed the 3d on the HD33 gets better as I move further away. At 12' it's good but if I walk down the hall it gets better and better. At about 15' I think the 3d depth is on par with 3100 and at 20' it's stunning but in a smaller room like mine it doesn't have the room to truly shine.

The 3d on the HD33 is still impressive, I showed it off for my family over Christmas and they were wowed, but as much as I hate to say it because I'm keeping the HD33 I think the 3100s 3d was even more impressive.

Bottom line... after owning both my conclusion is everyone should sample both and see what works for your room/light/preference/etc.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page