Vivitek H1080FD delayed lamp strike: Normal? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
matt314159's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I'm a vivitek H1080FD owner and I'm sort of shocked how little discussion there is with this model on AVS...Anyway, my unit seems to have a quirk that I can't find out if it's normal for this model or if it's a problem with my unit.

When I press the power button to turn it on, I get the two-tone beep to let me know it's powering on, and I hear something spin up, I think it's the color-wheel. But then it will sit like that with the light blinking for anywhere between 30 secs to 2 minutes before the rest of the fans spin up, at which point, about 3 seconds later, the lamp strikes, and it produces an image. I don't recall it ever *not* turning on eventually, in the five-months I've owned it, but it seems to just take awhile to wake from a cold start. On the few occasions I've turned it off, and then turned it back on within an hour or two (I try to avoid that, obviously) it turns right on and the lamp strikes immediately, like any other unit would. I use the projector fairly heavily, too, I've got it up to around 500 hours already.

I've owned tons of projectors before, Including both the Optoma HD65 and 66, and this smacks to me of abnormal behavior. I've checked Vivitek's website and don't see any FW updates or anything that might help solve this problem, but then I'm wondering if, just maybe, that's just how this unit operates. I bought it off amazon warehouse deals with 60 hours on the lamp back in june. I'm guessing this behavior was why it was returned int he first place, but it's been quite reliable, save for the long start-up time.

I'm moving from a house into a small apartment soon, it's going to be a temporary situation (six months) so I thought about putting this on eBay, but I'm not sure if this is normal behavior for this model, or if it's a problem that needs to be disclosed to the buyer, in which case I'm going to take a huge hit on the selling price, and I'd rather it just sit in the closet for half a year, and continue using it myself, when I move back into a bigger place permanently. I was planning to upgrade to a better model when I bought a new one in the middle of 2012.

Any information you can give would be greatly appreciated.

*eta*...thinking about it, I wonder if it's power related. The house I live in is 120 years old, and I've noticed that sometimes, if the lamp is in standard mode, the image will flicker a bit when the furnace turns on and off...sort of looks like the same flickering you'd see with an auto-iris or something. I think I'm going to get a UPS from work and hook to it this week, see if giving it good clean power will help things out a bit.


Also...anyone else had the front stand lose its gear-traction and not stay in one place anymore? it's stuck in a position where it just moves freely and won't hold the projector up. That happened about a week after I got it.
matt314159 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-06-2011, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
drhankz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,470
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt314159 View Post

Hi, I'm a vivitek H1080FD owner and I'm sort of shocked how little discussion there is with this model on AVS...Anyway, my unit seems to have a quirk that I can't find out if it's normal for this model or if it's a problem with my unit.

When I press the power button to turn it on, I get the two-tone beep to let me know it's powering on, and I hear something spin up, I think it's the color-wheel. But then it will sit like that with the light blinking for anywhere between 30 secs to 2 minutes before the rest of the fans spin up, at which point, about 3 seconds later, the lamp strikes, and it produces an image. I don't recall it ever *not* turning on eventually, in the five-months I've owned it, but it seems to just take awhile to wake from a cold start. On the few occasions I've turned it off, and then turned it back on within an hour or two (I try to avoid that, obviously) it turns right on and the lamp strikes immediately, like any other unit would. I use the projector fairly heavily, too, I've got it up to around 500 hours already.

I've owned tons of projectors before, Including both the Optoma HD65 and 66, and this smacks to me of abnormal behavior. I've checked Vivitek's website and don't see any FW updates or anything that might help solve this problem, but then I'm wondering if, just maybe, that's just how this unit operates. I bought it off amazon warehouse deals with 60 hours on the lamp back in june. I'm guessing this behavior was why it was returned int he first place, but it's been quite reliable, save for the long start-up time.

I'm moving from a house into a small apartment soon, it's going to be a temporary situation (six months) so I thought about putting this on eBay, but I'm not sure if this is normal behavior for this model, or if it's a problem that needs to be disclosed to the buyer, in which case I'm going to take a huge hit on the selling price, and I'd rather it just sit in the closet for half a year, and continue using it myself, when I move back into a bigger place permanently. I was planning to upgrade to a better model when I bought a new one in the middle of 2012.

Any information you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Mine Does the SAME THING.

Don't ask be WHY - but it eventually Starts. I just live with it.
It might do it once every two weeks but it does start
drhankz is online now  
Old 11-06-2011, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
matt314159's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Phew, that's a relief...I also just lived with it and it never concerned me until the time I started thinking about selling it, then realized it would be a concern.

I edited the post above, but I also suspect my problem might be exaccerbated by the old electrical system in this house. I'm going to hook it up to a UPS to see if that will clean up the power and change its behavior.

I'd say on mine, more often than not, I have to wait. Though today it turned right on like a champ.
matt314159 is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
drhankz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,470
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt314159 View Post

Phew, that's a relief...I also just lived with it and it never concerned me until the time I started thinking about selling it, then realized it would be a concern.

I edited the post above, but I also suspect my problem might be exaccerbated by the old electrical system in this house. I'm going to hook it up to a UPS to see if that will clean up the power and change its behavior.

I'd say on mine, more often than not, I have to wait. Though today it turned right on like a champ.

Mine is ON a UPS
drhankz is online now  
Old 11-06-2011, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
matt314159's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
oh. Hmmm....

Seems like my unit has it a lot worse than yours. You said yours only does it every couple weeks? I'd say mine has it about half the time or more.

The delay, however, will vary. Sometimes it's 10 seconds, other times i seem to remember it taking a couple minutes or so. Now I'm not sure if maybe room conditions (humidity/temp) might affect it?

Anyway it's good to know (I suppose) that it's not just that I have a lemon.
matt314159 is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
drhankz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,470
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt314159 View Post

oh. Hmmm....

Seems like my unit has it a lot worse than yours. You said yours only does it every couple weeks? I'd say mine has it about half the time or more.

The delay, however, will vary. Sometimes it's 10 seconds, other times i seem to remember it taking a couple minutes or so. Now I'm not sure if maybe room conditions (humidity/temp) might affect it?

Anyway it's good to know (I suppose) that it's not just that I have a lemon.

The PJ Has a Discrete On BUTTON and I programmed my
Crestron to do Multiple ON's Ever 30 Seconds.
drhankz is online now  
Old 11-06-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
matt314159's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
that actually helps it come on faster? I just thought it was something warming up inside.
matt314159 is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off