Epson 8700UB Dust Blob? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 01-20-2012, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, it is not over yet. After running for a month, we turned it on tonight and the display is all red. They say that either one of the LCD panels or shutters has gone bad. I called in and they are insisting on trying out another refurb. This really sucks. Support has been top notch but the quality has left me very dissatisfied. I am extremely careful with my equipment and have never had any issues with any other audio or video equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 01-22-2012, 09:11 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsnowh2o View Post

Well, it is not over yet. After running for a month, we turned it on tonight and the display is all red. They say that either one of the LCD panels or shutters has gone bad. I called in and they are insisting on trying out another refurb. This really sucks. Support has been top notch but the quality has left me very dissatisfied. I am extremely careful with my equipment and have never had any issues with any other audio or video equipment.

Too bad lemon law doesnt apply to Pj's
post #33 of 36 Old 01-22-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Im astonished. Don't even know what to say.

Who did you buy it from? You may try to take this issue up with them in a detailed email.
post #34 of 36 Old 07-22-2013, 11:42 AM

Liked: 10
Bumping the thread because people might find this helpful.

I bought my Epson 8700UB less than 3 years ago and got my first "dust blob" a couple weeks ago. Despite running a living room air-filter, a giant green blur (about 6 inches across on my 110" screen) appeared right near the center. Totally visible on pure-black frames, ruining every movie I tried to watch by breaking immersion. Some people said to wait for multiple blobs before attempting surgery, but it was unacceptable to have my immersion broken consistently.

I dismantled the projector and used a vacuum cleaner in all the crevices but couldn't get close enough to the internal optics. Vacuuming had no effect.

About to give up and look into professional servicing, I tried one last thing: My electric leaf blower.

Brought the leaf blower into the living room. Inserted earplugs. Turned the leaf blower to "low" and, with my Epson 8700UB fully assembled (and turned off), I blew into the intake filter, both lens adjustment dials, the out-vent, and the lens. I turned on the projector, set it to a pure black image, and to my horror I'd spawned a second dust blob, even closer to the center! I'd made things worse!

In frustration, I left the projector on, cranked up the leaf blower to "medium" and fired directly into the intake filter. The second dust blob vanished, leaving only the initial blob! Progress! I walked around the projector, blowing into every orifice, including the out-vent (which I'd forgotten was running at the time), but nothing could affect the initial blob frown.gif Finally, with the blower on "maximum", I turned off the projector, took off the intake vent cover and vigorously blew directly onto the filter and the open video input ports for about 30 seconds. I finished by blowing, once again, into every orifice.

Turned on the projector, waited for the "EPSON" logo to come into focus, studying the area of the blob intently because I know the dust blob usually only becomes clear during the end of the warm-up phase. It was gone! With this relatively easy, low-tech solution, the image is now pure, crisp black throughout and I saved myself expense of sending it in for repair, or possibly cutting a control cable by taking off the upper control board. Thought I'd share so that other people know there is hope, and to give people the comfort of knowing that someone has braved using a dangerously powerful device on the Epson without damage.

Good luck!
post #35 of 36 Old 07-23-2013, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamelore View Post

Vacuuming had no effect. About to give up and look into professional servicing, I tried one last thing: My electric leaf blower.
I suspect there are a lot better (and cleaner) blowers to use for this, but "whatever works" huh! wink.gif

Thanks for posting--I like to hear about dust blob solutions. My own PJ developed a few minor dust blobs and I've left them alone; as time's gone by they have receded into almost-nothingness as if they'd burned-up or something. I suspect too that many/most stubborn blobs become that way because they are "crisped" (burned) onto whatever hot surface they are attached to.

It does seem like blowing is a high risk affair re: the possibility of more blobs. BTW whenever I need a "clean room" which around our house means someplace where I can apply screen protectors to iGizmos e.g. phones and ipads and ipods etc. I take the towels and rugs out of a bathroom and work in there. The less airborne dust & dirt the better (duh) but a bathroom w/all hard surfaces is best for these kinds of efforts.
post #36 of 36 Old 07-24-2013, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
FYI,,, folks Whenever blowing air into an LCD projector start at the optical block and BLOW OUT! The last thing you want to do is blow air in from the outside. ALL you are going to do is force dust back into the optical path. The quickest way to see how dirty your optics are is to bring up a white screen and move the focus all the way in and all the way out. This will show the dust specks, blobs and every other thing that hiding in the optical path. WHATever you do NEVER use Q tips to clean the optics because they will catch on the panels and polarizers and you will have hair like lines on the screen. If you really want to clean up the panels Do a search on this board for Fuzzy sticks. It will point you in the right direction.

Better yet read from post 8

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1369211/any-way-to-diy-cleaning-of-dirty-internal-optics

Bohanna
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page