which LED project to pick? Acer K330 or Optoma or Viewsonic? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 11-10-2011, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone update me please i been away for a while, Since these projectors got released and available in the market

Which one is the one to Get?

Was the K330 audio out port removed or is it still there? I'm thinking of getting ACER K330 or should i get another projector? any feedback is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 11-10-2011, 10:16 AM

The Acer has audio out.

They're all essentially the same projector. I would just get whatever is cheapest. I only have the Acer so if there's no real price difference, I would say the Acer.

Oh, and I forgot the mandatory these projectors are noisy warning.
post #3 of 33 Old 11-10-2011, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

So other than being loud noisy projectors is there any major cons? I don't want to buy one and regret it later :P

What about image quality (Brightness/CA etc) and focus issues of the acer ?

I'm leaning toward the acer right now due the Audio out port and being the cheapest one, it's available in amazon USA right now for 599$
http://www.amazon.com/Acer-K330-WXGA...0948153&sr=8-4
post #4 of 33 Old 11-10-2011, 11:45 AM

HenryDudley, would you rate the clones above the QUMI in picture quality and in general overall? And have you seen the Dell M110? How does it compare to the other sub-$700 LED pjs out there?
post #5 of 33 Old 11-11-2011, 01:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
k330 doesn't have the warm up focus problem, but read this topic.

edit:

also in the k330 topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tataniko View Post

Check optoma thread at page 15.

I am big Qumi fan, and I have experience more than 200 led hours with her, also I created Qumi article in wiki, but K330 is much better for home entertainment system than Qumi.

Edit2: Just checked prices for the k330, to high (6-700) $$$ in my opinion. Hope they come down. The k11 is down to $300 in some places.
post #6 of 33 Old 11-11-2011, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Ale View Post

k330 doesn't have the warm up focus problem, but read this topic.

edit:

also in the k330 topic.

Edit2: Just checked prices for the k330, to high (6-700) $$$ in my opinion. Hope they come down. The k11 is down to $300 in some places.

K330 is 599$ in the amazon USA link i posted above
post #7 of 33 Old 11-11-2011, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

the acer has been reported to have the same warm up problem.

(fifth element)
post #8 of 33 Old 11-11-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshosh View Post

HenryDudley, would you rate the clones above the QUMI in picture quality and in general overall? And have you seen the Dell M110? How does it compare to the other sub-$700 LED pjs out there?

I thikn the Qumi has a slightly better image, but I would still choose the Acer.

Quote:

k330 doesn't have the warm up focus problem

Not like the Qumi, no, but the focus certainly does change on mine. I think it is extremely dependant on the environment. In my case it's noticable warming up from <68 degrees.

Quote:

also in the k330 topic.

It's worth keeping in mind that tataniko is essentially a volunteer Acer marketing bot who rates it 11/10 and considers it the best thing on earth even though it has a fair share of problems. Noisy, light leakage (if you care)/not that dark blacks, heavy CA, noisy, slight RBE, the built-in media player is unable to play pretty much all HD content found online, noisy, the speaker is fairly mediocre (but what can you expect) and so on. I still like it though. Overall it's maybe a 6/10, but you can't really find anything comparable that does much better.
post #9 of 33 Old 11-11-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:

HenryDudley;21199512]I thikn the Qumi has a slightly better image, but I would still choose the Acer.

what makes you think the Qumi has slightly better image? the Acer would have to look like crap compared to the LG HW300Y

Vivitek Qumi vs. LG HW300Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCYzu6IhbSc

Acer K330 vs LG HW300
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-BKQAhMfA8
post #10 of 33 Old 11-11-2011, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

So basically all the 500lumen LED are **** with focus problems, noisy as hell, CA issues, etc

Seems like I'll save money money and ignore them until LED projectors get it right.

I thought Acer k330 had no focus issues :/
post #11 of 33 Old 11-11-2011, 01:46 PM

The videos are worthless. It's close to impossible to show what the projector actually looks like through a Youtube video and even harder to do a comparison. When the videos are as poorly done as the ones linked, you might as well just watch dancing hamsters or sneezing pandas instead. But based purely on them the Qumi wins in the first because you can actually make out details and not just a bright white light that washes everything out, and the LG in the second because the Acer gets the color completely wrong and is very oversaturated.
post #12 of 33 Old 11-11-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seph22 View Post

So basically all the 500lumen LED are **** with focus problems, noisy as hell, CA issues, etc

Seems like I'll save money money and ignore them until LED projectors get it right.

I thought Acer k330 had no focus issues :/

It's not an actual problem. It takes a couple of minutes here, so there's no need for any refocusing. Based on your environment it might not even manifest itself at all. The CA... okay, it's not very good, but I don't notice it on video. I can easily see it when browsing the web or doing other things with static graphics (especially straight lines), but I don't do that. As far as noise levels are concerned, yeah they are noisy. It's not something you'd put on your table for some casual TV watching like in the marketing brochures. Put it under a table or something though and crank up the sound a little and it's not a problem.

As for waiting, it depends on what you're looking for... Is it the right choice for the videophile to put in his home theater together with his $1000 screen? Probably not. The casual normal user though, who wants something that isn't fixed and that can just be whipped out wherever and whenever he wants to watch something, it's not bad. The only con is the noise.

I guess in a way with the LED projectors you're paying a premium for the technology and not necessarily the quality you might expect for the price range.
post #13 of 33 Old 11-11-2011, 03:20 PM

And the Qumi is much quieter?
post #14 of 33 Old 11-11-2011, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDudley View Post

It's not an actual problem. It takes a couple of minutes here, so there's no need for any refocusing. Based on your environment it might not even manifest itself at all. The CA... okay, it's not very good, but I don't notice it on video. I can easily see it when browsing the web or doing other things with static graphics (especially straight lines), but I don't do that. As far as noise levels are concerned, yeah they are noisy. It's not something you'd put on your table for some casual TV watching like in the marketing brochures. Put it under a table or something though and crank up the sound a little and it's not a problem.

As for waiting, it depends on what you're looking for... Is it the right choice for the videophile to put in his home theater together with his $1000 screen? Probably not. The casual normal user though, who wants something that isn't fixed and that can just be whipped out wherever and whenever he wants to watch something, it's not bad. The only con is the noise.

I guess in a way with the LED projectors you're paying a premium for the technology and not necessarily the quality you might expect for the price range.

The casual consumers appeal for these projectors is the fact you get big screen for small price, but things changed

People in the past had to chose between 4000$ 50inch 720p HDTV vs 1000$ projector

Now it's for 700$~ you get one of those

50Inch 1080p HDTV with great IQ/no side issues VS
70-90inch 720p with average IQ and lot of issues that annoys people.

And you don't get noisy sounds, no CA, no focus change, no lack of inputs/outputs/bad black levels/lack of brightness at daytime/bad IQ (CA/blur/focus uniformity/etc)/etc by going with HDTV instead of those awful projectors

lol i know it sounds like ranting but I'm not, My point is only HDTV are getting bigger and cheaper as we speak while projectors are going backward with ton of issues that shouldn't exist in the first place (seems like they are trying to make quick money only) while resolution is lower (you need the high resolution for a big screen)/not bright enough to support really "big" screen which is the advantage of the projectors
post #15 of 33 Old 11-11-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDudley View Post

The videos are worthless. It's close to impossible to show what the projector actually looks like through a Youtube video and even harder to do a comparison. When the videos are as poorly done as the ones linked, you might as well just watch dancing hamsters or sneezing pandas instead. But based purely on them the Qumi wins in the first because you can actually make out details and not just a bright white light that washes everything out, and the LG in the second because the Acer gets the color completely wrong and is very oversaturated.

I more ore less agree about being worthless, but the same could said about guesses and personal opinions unless someone owns both projectors, and then you cant even be sure. anyway anyone looking for a dedicated movie projector would be better of looking elsewhere, and not get fooled by the long led life. the new dell looks promising and 32db in eco will make you feel so good when you turn it off
post #16 of 33 Old 11-11-2011, 05:06 PM

Been lurking a lil bit the past couple of days, trying to weigh up if i want a projector (live in a bedsit, but bed has its headboard against the wall the couch faces, so was thinking projector so can just turn and project it on whichever wall suits best). It worth getting one of these LED projectors then (e.g. do the bugs/issues just not make it worth it)? or any imminent upcoming ones that will fix these bugs? mainly attracted by the fact not having to replace bulb, as this would be in lieu of a TV (can live without either though ). sort of up to ~£500 spend
(tacked my thing onto here as was same topic, opposed to making new, will probably revert to lurking now)
post #17 of 33 Old 11-11-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:

The casual consumers appeal for these projectors is the fact you get big screen for small price, but things changed

People in the past had to chose between 4000$ 50inch 720p HDTV vs 1000$ projector

Now it's for 700$~ you get one of those

50Inch 1080p HDTV with great IQ/no side issues VS
70-90inch 720p with average IQ and lot of issues that annoys people.

And you don't get noisy sounds, no CA, no focus change, no lack of inputs/outputs/bad black levels/lack of brightness at daytime/bad IQ (CA/blur/focus uniformity/etc)/etc by going with HDTV instead of those awful projectors

lol i know it sounds like ranting but I'm not, My point is only HDTV are getting bigger and cheaper as we speak while projectors are going backward with ton of issues that shouldn't exist in the first place (seems like they are trying to make quick money only) while resolution is lower (you need the high resolution for a big screen)/not bright enough to support really "big" screen which is the advantage of the projectors

do you call Pianos Transport when you want to move your TV that would be
one reason why I prefer projectors "not these noisy picos,,.
if it wasn't for the size and weight of these TVs then again I actually prefer
smaller screens for casual Tv viewing Big all the time would drive me
so a projector is more ideal for me, and there is still a long way from 80inch
to my 150inch. looking outside my own needs I am sure you are right
post #18 of 33 Old 11-11-2011, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriel View Post

what picos have you owned that you thought were to loud?

(fifth element)
post #19 of 33 Old 11-12-2011, 02:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

K330 is 599$ in the amazon USA link i posted above

It's Tiger direct selling through Amazon, but if you buy from TD you can get the projector and a Universal Projector Mount.

td link
post #20 of 33 Old 11-12-2011, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriel View Post

HDTVs are improving though, those new LED projectors are slim and light as hell, and when you hang them on a wall they pretty much take no space.
post #21 of 33 Old 11-12-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

what picos have you owned that you thought were to loud?

only the LG HX300g which was fairly quiet compeered to these new models.
had a defective Infocus x9 I could only use in normal mode 30db and it was
annoyingly loud. the specks tels me these picos are noisy, you can almost tell by looking at them, its like they where designed to look cool above anything else
a tiny high pitch fan defeats my idea of a movie projector. tell me you dont find
them noisy, and I cant ague. what we consider noisy is fairly subjective
post #22 of 33 Old 11-12-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:

HDTVs are improving though, those new LED projectors are slim and light as hell, and when you hang them on a wall they pretty much take no space.

I was trying to say something like that
post #23 of 33 Old 11-12-2011, 11:46 PM

Liked: 13
There are three types of new generation LED projectors:

Pico 10-80 lumens
Pocket 100-300 lumens
Portable 350-500 lumens

It is not easy to direct compare different types and forms factor projectors.

I have experience about Pocket projector Vivitek Qumi, and Portable projector Acer K330. Both have many issues, but I can live together them and don't bother me. Finally I kept Acer K330, because I wanted more lumens, bigger screen size, full remote and louder speaker, but overall I am very satisfied the new generation HD pico chipset projectors like Acer K330 and Vivitek Qumi.
post #24 of 33 Old 11-27-2011, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

bought the Acer K330 New online for 399$ as a deal @blackfriday
I will list my impressions here when i receive mine

Anyway its price got lowered too amazon atm is selling it for 499$ and QUMI for 399$
Good to see prices dropping because at the previous prices it was not worth it atm (the MSRB of 600-700$ was overpriced, 400-500 MAX where they should have launched at)
post #25 of 33 Old 11-27-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:

bought the Acer K330 New online for 399$ as a deal @blackfriday
I will list my impressions here when i receive mine

Anyway its price got lowered too amazon atm is selling it for 499$ and QUMI for 399$
Good to see prices dropping because at the previous prices it was not worth it atm (the MSRB of 600-700$ was overpriced, 400-500 MAX where they should have launched at)

Where did you get it for 399?
post #26 of 33 Old 11-27-2011, 10:11 AM

I'm in the same boat as the original poster. I am between the Qumi or...whatever I hear is best of the clones. Sounds like its the Acer. However I am in Canada and haven't found the Acer for under $600-700 here. Where I can get the Qumi for $399.

So I am at a loss. Any suggestions. It's for playing movies and xbox 360 while im on the road for work.
post #27 of 33 Old 02-16-2012, 11:00 PM

has any of u have any info on the Dell M110 ? the reviews in general are very few.
post #28 of 33 Old 02-18-2012, 12:11 PM

Viewsonic it better, better color, remote and quieter.
post #29 of 33 Old 02-19-2012, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by zook09 View Post

has any of u have any info on the Dell M110 ? the reviews in general are very few.

did you see the projector central review? review highlights the lack or a color control and "neon" looking colors.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/dell...?page=Overview
post #30 of 33 Old 02-19-2012, 09:40 PM

thanks Jeff !

[quote=Jeff J;21670412]did you see the projector central review? review highlights the lack or a color control and "neon" looking colors.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page