Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 367 Old 01-07-2012, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby Reardon View Post

How are the Sony glasses in terms of comfort? I'm generally quite happy with the Epson glasses, but they start to pinch a bit above the ears after an hour or so.

The Sony's are tighter than the Epsons. If you have a big noggin, stick with the Epsons. I think someone already mentioned the Sony's as being not as dark as the Epsons. They also have a reflection (at least for me) on the outer edges that's kinda annoying. I'll let my guests (the little headed ones) use them and i'll stick with the Epsons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 367 Old 01-08-2012, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Is this reflection from a lit room? If I have a fully dark theater, will this be an issue?

Current HT: HTPC-->Epson 5010 projector-->135" screen, BFM TLAHs x7 & THT
Build log: DIY rotary sub for contemporary HT in 100 year old house?
Andreas' Slow Rotary Sub build
post #213 of 367 Old 01-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NtegrA View Post

If you have a big noggin, stick with the Epsons.

I guess I do. Thanks guys, will stick with the Epsons for now.
post #214 of 367 Old 01-08-2012, 06:21 PM

Falala..if I buy Monster 3d glasses,can I use them at same time as my Epsons?
I'm seeing some minor ghosting on far distance objects..but see none with medium or close objects.
I'm hoping that I can use both Epsons and monsters at same time.
My wife sees very little ghosting...guess I'm sensitive to it.
post #215 of 367 Old 01-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfire View Post

Falala..if I buy Monster 3d glasses,can I use them at same time as my Epsons?
I'm seeing some minor ghosting on far distance objects..but see none with medium or close objects.
I'm hoping that I can use both Epsons and monsters at same time.
My wife sees very little ghosting...guess I'm sensitive to it.

That's exactly my plan....I will use monster and give epson's to the family.,...it works like charm
post #216 of 367 Old 01-08-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Falafala: what are the advantages of the Epsons over the PS3s? Is there a reason you would recommend one over the other?

post #217 of 367 Old 01-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasMergner View Post

Falafala: what are the advantages of the Epsons over the PS3s? Is there a reason you would recommend one over the other?

If you mean you want to buy additional glasses, then it's worth trying PS3 as they are cheaper, readily available, gave lesser ghosting (on the objective test I uploaded on YouTube) and fit better for younger kids...also you may be future proofing if you plan to buy PS3tv

The cons may be the reflections that some one mentioned...although in my darkened room they were fine
post #218 of 367 Old 01-08-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby Reardon View Post

How are the Sony glasses in terms of comfort? I'm generally quite happy with the Epson glasses, but they start to pinch a bit above the ears after an hour or so.

I agree with Falafala the Sony glasses are much more snug to me, however my wife prefers the fit of them over the Epsons with her glasses on, she agrees with you on the pinching but for her its right behind the ears. She has said the Sonys are a bit discomforting to her eyebrow seeing how they will fit snugly against that area. None of my kids have any complaints about the fit or comfort level of the Sony glasses. I know for me they are too tight but at the price point and no complaints from the kids and my wife preferring to wear them over the Epsons..its a win win for my budget!
post #219 of 367 Old 01-09-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

If you mean you want to buy additional glasses, then it's worth trying PS3 as they are cheaper, readily available, gave lesser ghosting (on the objective test I uploaded on YouTube) and fit better for younger kids...also you may be future proofing if you plan to buy PS3tv

The cons may be the reflections that some one mentioned...although in my darkened room they were fine

I'm planning on buying the 5010 shortly. It doesn't come with glasses and I figure I need about 4 to start. If the PS3s are better and cheaper than the Epsons, I think it may be a no brainer. If I notice a lot of ghosting, I could always pick up a pair of the Monsters for myself.

post #220 of 367 Old 01-09-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:

Is this reflection from a lit room? If I have a fully dark theater, will this be an issue?

Quote:

I have total control over light in my space. It could be due to my PJ being ceiling mounted directly behind my sitting position. Definitely can be seen with lights on in the room. It's like those sunglasses that sell as "rear view Spy glasses" where you could see people sneaking up on you from behind... http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/prod...es_closeup.jpg

I also for some reason seem to get more eye strain using the Sony's.
post #221 of 367 Old 01-09-2012, 02:00 PM

Falala...let me see if I'm understanding this correctley.
when I get the monster vision glasses I need to connect them to pj with its on emitter...then switch setting to external emitter.on pj settings.
If this is right then am I to assume that the external emitter will work the monster visions and Epsons too.
Before I place order to buy the monsters ...you did say you eleminated all cross talk/ghosting with monsters correct?
post #222 of 367 Old 01-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfire View Post

Falala...let me see if I'm understanding this correctley.
when I get the monster vision glasses I need to connect them to pj with its on emitter...then switch setting to external emitter.on pj settings.
If this is right then am I to assume that the external emitter will work the monster visions and Epsons too.
Before I place order to buy the monsters ...you did say you eleminated all cross talk/ghosting with monsters correct?

NO

monsters need a VESA port which Epson doesn't have

so instead they came up with a brilliant idea of including a tiny IR receiver along with their RF emitter which picks up 3010's IR signal and converts it to RF

I tried two sets of monsters and was able to fairly eliminate the cross talk below my sensitivity level....as long as i am looking though the top portion of the lenses (which turns out to my surprise is nonrestrictive in the sense that its not an issue when sitting but when you are lying down almost horizontally you can just tilt the glasses a little downward to meet this requirement)

one universal advice i have for everyone....buy it from place where you can return hassle free so you have the opportunity to test them to your liking
post #223 of 367 Old 01-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm planning on buying the 5010 shortly. It doesn't come with glasses and I figure I need about 4 to start. If the PS3s are better and cheaper than the Epsons, I think it may be a no brainer. If I notice a lot of ghosting, I could always pick up a pair of the Monsters for myself.

don't take my word for it...buy a pair and see if you like them first
post #224 of 367 Old 01-09-2012, 04:34 PM

Can you make sync adjustments without having to use a computer?
post #225 of 367 Old 01-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Just now occurred to me one more awesome advantage of PS3 glasses

They are designed with a feature called SimulView that allows two players to see two different images for coop game play

How is that good for Epson 3010 ? I think you can engage SimulView to convert 3d image to 2d...this comes in very handy if some one wants to go back to 2d as they may find 3d straining

This is brilliant because it allows groups of individuals to watch the same movie in 3d or 2d based on their own perso al preference !

Simply a brilliant discovery
post #226 of 367 Old 01-10-2012, 01:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just now occurred to me one more awesome advantage of PS3 glasses

They are designed with a feature called SimulView that allows two players to see two different images for coop game play

How is that good for Epson 3010 ? I think you can engage SimulView to convert 3d image to 2d...this comes in very handy if some one wants to go back to 2d as they may find 3d straining

This is brilliant because it allows groups of individuals to watch the same movie in 3d or 2d based on their own perso al preference !

Simply a brilliant discovery

Sorry spoke too soon

I couldn't get this feature to work on COD blackops ps3 game and the tiny manual says the sw should support SimulView....not sure what that means...I assumed that all SimulView is doing is allowing one to pick same image for both left and right....wondering how else they could have implemented this !

will try a movie to see if it works...too bad this could have been a great feature

Found a blog on this...http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1368078
post #227 of 367 Old 01-10-2012, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Sorry spoke too soon

I couldn't get this feature to work on COD blackops ps3 game and the tiny manual says the sw should support SimulView....not sure what that means...I assumed that all SimulView is doing is allowing one to pick same image for both left and right....wondering how else they could have implemented this !

will try a movie to see if it works...too bad this could have been a great feature

Found a blog on this...http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1368078

The Pannasonic 3rd generation/"3D3" glasses DO have this feature. There's a sliding switch at the top that allows one to view something being displayed in 3D in 2D.

Ed
post #228 of 367 Old 01-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

The Pannasonic 3rd generation/"3D3" glasses DO have this feature. There's a sliding switch at the top that allows one to view something being displayed in 3D in 2D.

Ed

cool...how do they compare with Epsons ? Do they fit younger children better ? also whats the best deal on these ?

thanks
post #229 of 367 Old 01-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

post #230 of 367 Old 01-10-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
FYI...Just noticed that the official Epson glasses are currently available for sale on Amazon (actually comes from another store, though). About $86 and as of this moment they indicate that they only have 6 in stock, so they'll probably be out of stock soon.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #231 of 367 Old 01-10-2012, 04:55 PM

Whats the verdict on Xpands X104 compared to the Epsons. Im in the process of getting a 5010 but projectorpeople are out of Epsons and they said Xpands are better.
post #232 of 367 Old 01-10-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

cool...how do they compare with Epsons ? Do they fit younger children better ? also whats the best deal on these ?

thanks

They are lighter, smaller and very comfortable--look and feel pretty much like ordinary sunglasses. I haven't been able to detect any crosstalk/ghosting with them. I really can't speak to the fit for kids but I would think they'd be better than the Epsons because of being lighter & smaller--the pair I have are the "3D3MU"s which are classified as medium. If you could find the SU/small ones I would think they'd be ideal. I bought mine just before Xmas from Amazon for $79 and got 'em delivered overnight for $89.XX but I believe they raised the price right after I ordered. Hope this helps.

Ed
post #233 of 367 Old 01-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

They are lighter, smaller and very comfortable--look and feel pretty much like ordinary sunglasses. I haven't been able to detect any crosstalk/ghosting with them. I really can't speak to the fit for kids but I would think they'd be better than the Epsons because of being lighter & smaller--the pair I have are the "3D3MU"s which are classified as medium. If you could find the SU/small ones I would think they'd be ideal. I bought mine just before Xmas from Amazon for $79 and got 'em delivered overnight for $89.XX but I believe they raised the price right after I ordered. Hope this helps.

Ed

i searched for these on ebay and got these.....are these the same ? do these have 2D-only feature ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-100-Comp...ht_8085wt_1344
post #234 of 367 Old 01-11-2012, 06:23 AM

Epson currently has a discount code BTB15 that will give you 15% off and if you buy two glasses you get free shipping... Just got the email from them this morning.

Joe
post #235 of 367 Old 01-11-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyroute View Post

Epson currently has a discount code BTB15 that will give you 15% off and if you buy two glasses you get free shipping... Just got the email from them this morning.

Joe

Is this just on the Epson website or an authorized dealer and does it include the 5010 and 6010. Im gona order the 5010 today if I can get it cheaper than the $2699 price everyone has for the $15% off.
post #236 of 367 Old 01-11-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedg8gt View Post

Is this just on the Epson website or an authorized dealer and does it include the 5010 and 6010. Im gona order the 5010 today if I can get it cheaper than the $2699 price everyone has for the $15% off.

This is only on Epson website.. I didn't try it for anything but the glasses but I think the projector on the site is retail price so 15% off may not be that great of a price...
post #237 of 367 Old 01-11-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:

This is only on Epson website.. I didn't try it for anything but the glasses but I think the projector on the site is retail price so 15% off may not be that great of a price...

Yea I just checked and there out of stock for the 5010. Im probably still gona order the 5010 today anyway but a couple places are out of stock on the Epson glasses.
post #238 of 367 Old 01-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Joe

That discount brings Epson's $99 store price inline with what you can get from B&H shipped with 3-day service.

Coolplazma's HT Den project. Early project info. Needs update with final results.
post #239 of 367 Old 01-12-2012, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Received my order for the Monster Vision MAX 3D glasses and have to say I like these even better than the Xpand X104 YOUniversal 3D glasses. They have a bigger lens, are more comfortable to wear and the lens seems to let a slight bit more light through and have a grey tint, the Xpand appear to have a slight bit of yellow tint to my eyes. I'd recommend the Monster/Optoma glasses for the Epson.
post #240 of 367 Old 01-12-2012, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i searched for these on ebay and got these.....are these the same ? do these have 2D-only feature ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-100-Comp...ht_8085wt_1344

NO! I have 2 pair of those and they fit just about the same as the Epsons. Actually, the Epsons will fit snugger when set to the smaller setting with the adjustment available inside the bow near the temple. The Blicks do NOT have the 3D to 2D option and I see ghosting with them that I don't see with the Epsons or Pannys.
Wow, looked up the Pannys on Amazon and they were $40 more than I paid for 'em just before Xmas! I did see a listing there for the small ones that were less.

Ed
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Panasonic , Panasonic Ty Ew3d2mmk2 Ultimate 3d Starter Kit Avatar 3d 2 Rechargeable Glasses , Mitsubishi , Nvidia , Samsung , Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model , Mitsubishi 3dgx103 Xpand 3d Glass Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page